View Full Version : Texans acquire Jets WR Derrick Mason for conditional pick

Pages : [1] 2

srrono
10-11-2011, 10:03 PM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Texans have traded a conditional draft choice to Jets for WR Derrick Mason

XI CMURDER IX
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Texans have traded a conditional draft choice to Jets for WR Derrick Mason. - John McClain

Per McClain on Twitter. Thoughts?

dream_team
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Good trade! We desperately need a WR. How has Mason looked this season?

TheMatrix31
10-11-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm very happy with this.

brakos82
10-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Can we end the "not looking for WR" bitching now? :spin:

XI CMURDER IX
10-11-2011, 10:07 PM
Good trade! We desperately need a WR. How has Mason looked this season?

Just by a quick glance at the stats it shows two games started, with 13 receptions for 115 yards. If I remember correctly he was traded to the Jets in the offseason, and then traded here.

silentassassin
10-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Is this real life? :mcnugget:

RagingBull
10-11-2011, 10:11 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/222/derrick-mason

Looks to be real!

Ryan
Not a bad move. Maybe he can tip us a little bit on what Baltimore does as well.

Unfortunately this could mean AJ is gonna be out longer than we thought. I hope I'm wrong on that.

TexanSam
Link
https://twitter.com/#!/McClain_on_NFL/status/123940980314488832

He is an upgrade if true. He's 37 but was still productive last season. 61 catches for 802 yards.

RagingBull
10-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Now they just need to cut J.Jones to send a message:kingkong:

utahmark
10-11-2011, 10:12 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ryan_mason_benched_for_play_not_4488iWwmHFJuvGiUS0 iJeI

Small article in the ny post about him and his reduced playing time.

thunderkyss
10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
If I had to guess, I would say McNair just kicked Rick Smith right square in the ass.

Surreal McCoy
Collective outcry in 3...2...

Carr Bombed
Solid vet receiver....I'll take him over Jacoby Jones any day of the week. At least he can run a freaking route. I guarantee you that if he's targeted 11 times, he'll have more than just one damn catch. :rolleyes:

He's a stop gap for sure (like a one year rental) so that conditional pick better be a low one.

IlliniJen
10-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I've liked this guy for years now. Let's hope he still has something left in the tank and plays with some fire under his butt...don't know what happened with the Jets, but there's something dysfunctional happening there in the background, and maybe DMase will have something to prove to the Ol' Toe Sucker.

thunderkyss
Also sounds like we'll be hearing more about Aj's injury in the near future.... not good news.

XI CMURDER IX
One of the biggest upsides in this trade is his awareness. Very good at situational football, and I am sure that is what Kubiak wants from him.

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
:toropalm:

gonna tell me there was absolutely nobody out there under 30 that was not to be had on the market? ho hum....

utahmark
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Also sounds like we'll be hearing more about Aj's injury in the near future.... not good news.

Or maybe they just figured out how bad Jacoby sucks.

The Alchemist
10-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I like it.

TheMatrix31
Mason is a great route runner and a true professional. Dude has been on winners. I think even if it doesnt maybe translate on the field, his addition to the locker room will be very valuable.

TheRealJoker
Just what the doctor ordered for the passing game. Smart, good hands/route running. Will do wonders for our 3rd down passing once he learns the playbook.

Drew_Smoke
Hopefully its a 7th

Buffi2
10-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Mason was benched this past Sunday. There seem to be a number of possible reasons from his big mouth, to not living up to what was expected.

link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/10/report-derrick-mason-benched-for-complaining/)

HJam72
10-11-2011, 10:21 PM

Man, you gotta bring me down. :toropalm:

gary
10-11-2011, 10:22 PM
There are two threads about this.

Carr Bombed
10-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Collective outcry in 3...2...

What for... Houston at least made a move to bring in a vet. people will write him off due to his age, but he's been around for so long I'm sure he's played in just about every offense there is. He should be able to come in and start making plays pretty fast.

Jacoby can't even "figure it out" going into his 5th year with the team. :toropalm:

Remember the whole board was pissed off when we re-signed Jacoby? Yet all the "Smithiak" excuse makers just love to tell us how much smarter and how much more knowledgeable they are than the rest of us :rolleyes:

Well guess what excuse makers, this is a pretty blatant admission of error as far as re-signing Jacoby Jones goes. Sorry, he didn't prove any of the haters wrong this season.

brakos82
There are two threads about this.

Hang on, lemme go start a third. :kitten:

TheMatrix31

gonna tell me there was absolutely nobody out there under 30 that was not to be had on the market? ho hum....

No one's gonna be more reliable than Derrick Mason.

Texan_Bill
10-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Is this the same Derrick Mason that's 67 years old??

AWESOME!!!! :gun:

Schaub2Dre
Mason was benched this past Sunday. There seem to be a number of possible reasons from his big mouth, to not living up to what was expected.

link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/10/report-derrick-mason-benched-for-complaining/)

If I had Mark Sanchez throwing the ball, I wouldn't be happy either.

Anyways, I've always respected Mason, always been a Texan Killer from his first game against us (177 yards 3 TDs) to his last (77 yards, 2 TDs on MNF).
I know he still has some gas left in the tank, hopefully it doesnt take too long to get acclimated to the system.

utahmark
Usually, if anything, we are just picking up free agents this time of year. How many times have we heard Kube's say "we are just gonna go with what we have". Maybe our coach and gm are starting to feel some heat?

fikster
10-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Horrible trade. Smith and McNairwere duped again. All the free agents out there, some even his age, and this is who we sign. We could of got similar performance with a conditional.

Texan_Bill
Hang on, lemme go start a third. :kitten:

Why you gotta be an ass??? :gamer:

:pirate:

srrono
Mason brings exp in every situation. Im sure Kub will have a package of plays for him this weekend. Is Mason still quick enough in the slot?

michaelm
10-11-2011, 10:26 PM

What makes you say that? I didn't see anything that indicates anything about AJ's injury status. Link?

Mr. White
Love Derrick Mason. Seems like every new season is always gonna be his last and he keeps on going.

ThaShark316

Doubtful. They had Walter, Jones, B. Johnson and Anderson. Walter's fine, JJ is suspect, B. Johnson is/was banged up this past week and Anderson's fine. You can't keep playing with 3 healthy bodies without Andre around.

Name one. Don't worry, I'll wait.

BullNation4Life
No one's gonna be more reliable than Derrick Mason.

Man by the time he gets in to the Texans, learns the system and the plays, AJ will be back full strength....

I bet you there was someone out there they could have taken and just over looked....

Dude is 37 years old. HE isn't help he is a band-aid on a team that needs legit help at the #2 WR spot....

RagingBull
Horrible trade. Smith and McNairwere duped again. All the free agents out there, some even his age, and this is who we sign. We could of got similar performance with a conditional.

It was a conditional.

Carr Bombed
10-11-2011, 10:27 PM

I doubt it's anything serious. He was already ruled ahead of schedule and he hasn't been back on the practice field yet to mess anything up. Unless he slipped and pulled something at home, I'm not too worried right now.

We needed a guy who's "done it before" and now we got one. Jacoby can go kick rocks for all I care.

If something serious was going on with Andre, they should've pulled off a bigger move, because Mason wouldn't of done much to cover up that absence.

Hookem Horns
Was Webster Slaughter not available??

TheMatrix31

What free agents? Randy "I'm a cancer, alligator arm everything, an attention whore, and who knows if I even want to play" Moss? Terrell "I have a busted leg and I'm rehabbing and I'm not quite healthy just yet and I'm a media circus" Owens? TJ "I'm garbage now and nothing really needs to be said" Houshmazilla?

NitroGSXR

Guess Rex wanted to be the only big mouth in the locker room.

Surreal McCoy
What for... Houston at least made a move to bring in a vet. people when right him off due to his age, but he's been around for so long I'm sure he's played in just about every offense there is. He should be able to come in and start making plays pretty fast.

Jacoby can't even "figure it out" going into his 5th year with the team. :toropalm:

Remember the whole board was pissed off when we re-signed Jacoby? Yet all the "Smithiak" excuse makers just love to tell us how much smarter and how much more knowledgeable they are than the rest of us :rolleyes:

Well guess what excuse makers, this is a pretty blatant admission of error as far as re-signing Jacoby Jones goes. Sorry, he didn't prove any of the haters wrong this season.

Oh I'm not against it by any means. In fact, I was just telling a friend how trades rarely happen in the NFL. No, I was simply commenting that someone will be along shortly to say, "***** TEXANS FO COULDA HAD MOSS!!!!" or TO, etc, etc, ad nauseum

thunderkyss
Hopefully its a 7th

That would mean he didn't do shit for us.

ThaShark316
10-11-2011, 10:29 PM

Better route running than Mason though? Y'all killing me.

gary
10-11-2011, 10:30 PM
I like Mason still even though he is 37.

RagingBull
10-11-2011, 10:30 PM
That would mean he didn't do shit for us.

I still think it is funny you can type "shit" but not "id10t"

michaelm
10-11-2011, 10:31 PM

I disagree for the most part.
True, Mason is pretty old, and isn't anywhere near being explosive, but he is a consummate professional.
He will run good routes, do what he's supposed to do in the running game, and most importantly, he will make the correct decisions, unlike Jacoby, who misplayed the last play in the Raiders game.
Mason will make the correct reads, and be in the position he's supposed to be in.
If this offense can get Dreesen as wide open as he was on Sunday, it can get Mason open, despite his having lost a step.
Besides, wasn't the draft pick conditional? Could be a late as a 7, for all we know.
Besides all that, I take this as a signal that this team is serious about winning this season.

Naiirb
10-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Excellent pickup. Will Mason be able to play this Sunday?

Texan_Bill
10-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Hopefully its a 7th

YUP!! AND a UDFA to be named later! :)

Jacoby, thanks for your service, BUT C' YA!!!

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Doubtful. They had Walter, Jones, B. Johnson and Anderson. Walter's fine, JJ is suspect, B. Johnson is/was banged up this past week and Anderson's fine. You can't keep playing with 3 healthy bodies without Andre around.

Name one. Don't worry, I'll wait.

probably should have said 30 or younger....here are a few

Bernard Berrian
Brandon Lloyd
Mike Sims-Walker - Remember him, loved killing the Texans
Earl Bennett
Johnny Knox

or hell if you wanna go over 30, then go get Steve Smith out of Carolina. Smith has at least another 2-3 years in him and would be perfect with AJ on the other side....

srrono
10-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Excellent pickup. Will Mason be able to play this Sunday?

limited role sonday is my guess 10-12 plays

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 10:36 PM

No sh*t, where the hell is Ernest Givins when you need him...

Runner
Good. Positive action instead of waiting for the end of the season to evaluate the situation.

thunderkyss
Besides all that, I take this as a signal that this team is serious about winning this season.

Precisely

TheRealJoker
Does Mason already know our offense better than Jacoby? I think so!

Mr. Texan
10-11-2011, 10:37 PM
meh....

anything is better than jacoby.

michaelm
10-11-2011, 10:37 PM

Bernard Berrian
Brandon Lloyd
Earl Bennett
Johnny Knox

or hell if you wanna go over 30, then go get Steve Smith out of Carolina...

Are you just speculating that any of these players is available for trade, or have you seen anything to back up your suggestions?

Dishman
10-11-2011, 10:38 PM

LOL. That name brings me back. I wonder if Smithiak inquired on the availability of one of Denver's "Three Amigos".

thunderkyss
10-11-2011, 10:38 PM

Bernard Berrian
Brandon Lloyd
Earl Bennett
Johnny Knox

or hell if you wanna go over 30, then go get Steve Smith out of Carolina. Smith has at least another 2-3 years in him and would be perfect with AJ on the other side....

TMM

TMM

put down the controller.

NitroGSXR
10-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Hopefully its a 7th

The trade is performance related. I'd much rather Mason do well.

gary
Does this mean the Texans are now favored to beat Baltimore and Tennesse?

BullNation4Life
Are you just speculating that any of these players is available for trade, or have you seen anything to back up your suggestions?

No just saying that these are players on horrible teams right now that would more than likely take draft picks to dump salary...

These are also players who are younger and could be more serviceable to the Texans long term, rather than a 37 year old WR....

TheMatrix31
10-11-2011, 10:40 PM

Bernard Berrian
Brandon Lloyd
Earl Bennett
Johnny Knox

Why in God's name would Steve Smith get traded? He's Cam Newton's security blanket.

Berrian's trash. And I say that as a Fresno State fan.

Brandon Lloyd would be awesome, but I'm not sure if he's attainable. Royal and Thomas are coming back from them, maybe.

Sims-Walker? He hasn't done jack and his surrounding WR corps on STL SUCKS. Is he even healthy?

Bears won't trade Knox or Bennett.

IlliniJen

Bernard Berrian
Brandon Lloyd
Earl Bennett
Johnny Knox

Not going to happen on Lloyd or Smith...why would either team part with their #1 receivers?

Mason is more experienced and has a better track record of success than the others you mentioned.

Getting another team's legit #1 or strong #2 is a pipe dream...ain't going to happen and Mason is much better than standing pat with JJ and his lack of football smarts and reliable hands. Mason brings both.

ThaShark316

Bernard Berrian
Brandon Lloyd
Earl Bennett
Johnny Knox

or hell if you wanna go over 30, then go get Steve Smith out of Carolina...

Smith is never leaving CAR and with Newton ballin' like he is, he's a keeper out there.

Berrian's gonna get open? Won't do it in Minny. Lloyd is/was available? News to me. Walker is an FA after this year. Bennett is available? Knox is in the mold of Jones...speedy but what else?

Honoring Earl 34
Jacoby gonna shut the haters up .... wait .... this just in ... his momma ain't coming to the games anymore . Couldn't we get Brandon Stokely ?

michaelm
10-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Does this mean the Texans are now favored to beat Baltimore and Tennesse?

Speaking of Baltimore, is it just coincidence that Mason is an ex-Raven who might be able to shed some light on their offense?
He also might be extra motivated against them, if he gets some playing time.

:)

BullNation4Life
TMM

TMM

put down the controller.

Hold on, you gonna tell me that you throw a 3rd or 4th round pick to the Viking for Barrien or maybe even Knox and they would jump on that?

Has nothing to do with Madden...

Carr Bombed
Also keep in mind, this isn't really a vertical offense. We get a lot of big plays downfield, but it's still a west coast offense where horizontal route running is huge (one of the reasons why Jacoby struggles to produce)

When Andre does come back, Mason should kill teams on underneath routes and he's versatile too. He can/has played outside, but has also played in the slot. With all the receiving threats we have on the field at any given time (Andre, our bazillion TEs, Foster out of the backfield...heck even Walter), he could bring that extra little nitch that really brings everything together.

I'll take consistency over flash everyday of the week. Jacoby "flashes" and then the light bulb over his head burns out. Derrik Mason has been the NFL model of consistency throughout his entire NFL career.

Dishman
I disagree for the most part.
True, Mason is pretty old, and isn't anywhere near being explosive, but he is a consummate professional.
He will run good routes, do what he's supposed to do in the running game, and most importantly, he will make the correct decisions, unlike Jacoby, who misplayed the last play in the Raiders game.
Mason will make the correct reads, and be in the position he's supposed to be in.
If this offense can get Dreesen as wide open as he was on Sunday, it can get Mason open, despite his having lost a step.
Besides, wasn't the draft pick conditional? Could be a late as a 7, for all we know.

So he's the new Shane Battier of the Texans? I can get along with that.

BigBull17
10-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Just what the doctor ordered. Savey vet, excellent route runner, guy who has been on a winning team, not JJ. Brave move by a staff that has been very go with the flow.

thunderkyss

I'll give you this much... this sounds like a short term band-aid to me... he's 37, doesn't hurt us in the draft & won't cost a lot of money. Doesn't sound like a Jacoby replacement to me. Sounds like a, "need to make it to the end of the season to save my job" move.

Which is what makes me think there is something they haven't told us yet.

I'm not saying Aj is out for the season, but he'll probably be on that 7 week plan that CnND suggested.

fikster
What free agents? Randy "I'm a cancer, alligator arm everything, an attention whore, and who knows if I even want to play" Moss? Terrell "I have a busted leg and I'm rehabbing and I'm not quite healthy just yet and I'm a media circus" Owens? TJ "I'm garbage now and nothing really needs to be said" Houshmazilla?

Kevin Curtis, stokely, Gage to name a few. Dude, got benched last week. Ryan doesn't bench anyone. Just think ergot of got similar output w/o a pick.

IlliniJen
10-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Jacoby gonna shut the haters up .... wait .... this just in ... his momma ain't coming to the games anymore . Couldn't we get Brandon Stokely ?

Brandon Stokely? Really? Over Mason? Nope.

If we wanted a Magical White Boy not named Walters, then Collie would be a better WR than Stokely.

michaelm
10-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Hold on, you gonna tell me that you throw a 3rd or 4th round pick to the Viking for Barrien or maybe even Knox and they would jump on that?

Has nothing to do with Madden and you freaking know it....

As long as we're playing the wild ass speculation game, I'll take it in another direction. Maybe the Texans aren't done dealing. Maybe they want to win right-freakin-now bad enough to trade for another WR before it's all said and done.

Who knows, right?

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Smith is never leaving CAR and with Newton ballin' like he is, he's a keeper out there.

Berrian's gonna get open? Won't do it in Minny. Lloyd is/was available? News to me. Walker is an FA after this year. Bennett is available? Knox is in the mold of Jones...speedy but what else?

Berrian doesn't have a QB in Minny...

Don't know if the others were available, did anybody know Mason was available until today? Don't know until you try...

Just tired of the Texans getting band aids instead of talent that can help long term. Any remember Eric Moulds? How well did he turn out?

srrono
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM

Bernard Berrian
Brandon Lloyd
Earl Bennett
Johnny Knox

Man be happy the Texans made a move this aint Madden.

michaelm
10-11-2011, 10:46 PM

Don't know if the others were available, did anybody know Mason was available until today? Don't know until you try...

Yeah, well Mason didn't have a QB in New York.

TexansFanatic
10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Speaking of Baltimore, is it just coincidence that Mason is an ex-Raven who might be able to shed some light on their offense?
He also might be extra motivated against them, if he gets some playing time.

:)

Interesting thought, but honestly I'm really not worried about Baltimore's offense.

They're capable of beating the Texans by ten points while only scoring ten points.

EDIT: Come to think of it, they're capable of beating the Texans by two touchdowns even if we shut out their offense. :-0

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 10:48 PM
I'll give you this much... this sounds like a short term band-aid to me... he's 37, doesn't hurt us in the draft & won't cost a lot of money. Doesn't sound like a Jacoby replacement to me. Sounds like a, "need to make it to the end of the season to save my job" move.

I'm not saying Aj is out for the season, but he'll probably be on that 7 week plan that CnND suggested.

Then if that is the case, then I can get down with this trade but if it is to replace Jones AND AJ is coming back, sorry rather have someone younger that can stick around a while..

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 10:49 PM

touche.....

IlliniJen
10-11-2011, 10:49 PM

There's a reason the WRs were rumored to have rebelled against offensive coordinator in NY...I don't think any of them were being utilized the way they wanted and I think Sanchez is not who they thought he was. That team is a mess.

Mason comes from a good pedigree of winning teams with good organizations...not the side show that the Jets can sometimes be.

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Man be happy the Texans made a move this aint Madden.

This isn't about making Madden moves, it's about quality. None of those WR's I just mentioned are untouchable. Everybody has a price, what are the Texans willing to pay in order to get a average to above average WR who is not staring retirement straight in the face, to help this team.

Evidently a 7th round pick for a 37 year old WR is as far as they are willing to go....

HoustonFrog
10-11-2011, 10:53 PM
This is what I just read

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

evansilva Evan Silva
Derrick Mason has zero left. #Jets benched him for 5th-round rookie Jeremy Kerley last wk. But couldn't possibly be worse than Jacoby Jones.

evansilva Evan Silva
Interesting #Texans traded for Derrick Mason just before facing #Ravens in Week 6. Mason played in Baltimore from 2005-2010.

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 10:55 PM
This is what I just read

http://twitter.com/#!/evansilva

Hmm, could it be to get him in so Phillips can pick his brain about how to scheme for Baltimore's offense? I'm sure it's been done before....

Brisco_County
10-11-2011, 10:58 PM

Nice.

This makes Kubiak look like he knows what he's doing. Mason is a perfect stop-gap until the next draft/free agency.

J_R
10-11-2011, 11:00 PM
greggrosenthal gregg rosenthal
"Conditional draft pick" sent for Derrick Mason rumored to be "a bag of footballs"

EyeoftheGator Eye of the Gator
BREAKING NEWS: Conditional draft pick sent to #Jets by #Texans for WR Derrick Mason is a WNBA draft pick borrowed from Houston Comets

Carr Bombed
10-11-2011, 11:00 PM

They were just on the radio this morning talking about how he's "ahead of schedule"...he's actually questionable this week.

Jacoby Jones was flat out horrible against the Raiders, they HAD to make a move. Hell even if Andre was 100% healthy and never injured, they HAD to make a move.

Titanic_sub
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Kevin Curtis, stokely, Gage to name a few. Dude, got benched last week. Ryan doesn't bench anyone. Just think ergot of got similar output w/o a pick.
Gage is on the Titans at this time, they signed him after Britt tore his ACL.

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 11:02 PM
ok so they get Derrick Mason, guess I will live with that, now who do you put on the other side of Mason while AJ is out? Walter? My best guess is

Mason
Walter
Jones

man that...that just looks like allot of lipstick on a fat ol pig right there...

Texn4life
10-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Cam Cameron runs a similar offense in Baltimore so I would expect Mason to be able to play a little bit this Sunday. While its not a sexy pickup, I'm satisfied with this move. His biggest complaint in New York was the lack of creativity with the play calling and inconsistency with Sanchez. I can't blame him at all for having these issues. New York right now is the Titanic waiting to happen.

He won't bring explosiveness, but he can still get open against man coverage which is exactly what we need right now. He's a disciplined route runner, and he has an edge to him which is EXACTLY what we need on offense. He's not afraid to step up and be a leader. 1 year rental so I'm happy with this.

srrono
10-11-2011, 11:03 PM
This isn't about making Madden moves, it's about quality. None of those WR's I just mentioned are untouchable. Everybody has a price, what are the Texans willing to pay in order to get a average to above average WR who is not staring retirement straight in the face, to help this team.

Evidently a 7th round pick for a 37 year old WR is as far as they are willing to go....

Look at it this way if Mason plays sunday I bet he doubles jj's catches with have the attempts.

TheMatrix31
10-11-2011, 11:05 PM

Kevin Curtis? Stokely? I forgot those guys EXISTED.

Mason is not done. The Jets offense is awful. I think like, every WR hates playing for that team. Their fault for going there, at least the ones who went through free agency.

BullNation4Life
10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Look at it this way if Mason plays sunday I bet he doubles jj's catches with have the attempts.

Well hell, that's not asking for much. Hell a limbo pole is setting the bar too high for Jones.

All I was saying was if the Texans were gonna make a move, make a move that isn't a stop gap for 1-2 years....

Look, if Mason comes out and tears it up, say 6 catches for 75 and a TD, than I'll gladly eat the crow, no shame in that....

and hell if it happens to be RAVEN on Sunday, pass the BBQ sauce...

ArlingtonTexan
10-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Can't please you guys. Been post after post thread after thread naming every over 30 WR in America and when we go get one, you guys are still whining. You wanted them to do something and they did.

:stirpot:

Hookem Horns
10-11-2011, 11:09 PM
Mason did play for the Ravens last season. Will he be any help to the defense in the preparation for the game on Sunday?

ThaShark316
10-11-2011, 11:09 PM

Just tired of the Texans getting band aids instead of talent that can help long term. Any remember Eric Moulds? How well did he turn out?

You just contradicted yourself. Moulds had a QB when he was here? haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhaa

PapaL
10-11-2011, 11:10 PM
This is bull! Why didn't we trade for Megatron and Suh? Fire everyone!

srrono
10-11-2011, 11:11 PM
awexler Adam Wexler
I'd expect #Texans to IR Mario & sign Nading off P-squad. Waive D Anderson to open spot for Mason. Both newbies active for Balt #mytwocents

Carr Bombed
10-11-2011, 11:12 PM

The type of trade that you're looking for almost NEVER happens at the trade deadline. It happens during the offseason. Teams hardly ever deal away good young talent at the deadline. You're literally bashing the team for things that are most likely out of their control. I don't really care about everyone's price... I'd rather send away a low draft pick for Mason then send away a high draft pick for someone else's player. I like to have those picks when it's time to draft players.

TheMatrix31
10-11-2011, 11:12 PM
I'd rather waive Bryant Johnson than DA.

Grams
10-11-2011, 11:13 PM
At least Derrick Mason can catch a football and does know how to run routes. He probably does not take 10 yards to make his cut. You don't have to be the fastest guy on the field to get open and catch a pass.

Carr Bombed
10-11-2011, 11:14 PM
You just contradicted yourself. Moulds had a QB when he was here? haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhaa

And Moulds was lazy. He looked disinterested as soon as he stepped off the plane here. That was a guy who mentally retired years before he physically retired...see Moss.

dtran04
10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Remember, Bryant Johnson was hurt last week. They only suited 3 WRs. That's crazy.

Ryan
10-11-2011, 11:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYNwfq84hJU

Errant Hothy
10-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Mason working underneath with Walter sounds great...once AJ comes back. Till then, I'm not sure how much this helps. Adding Mason to Walter and the TE routes seems like a recipe on how to cram too many pass routes into the same area. I wouldn't be shocked to see a huge increase in screens the next few weeks.

It is nice to see the team being proactive for a change.

Hervoyel
10-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Is this real life? :mcnugget:

Is this just fantasy?

http://www.vakthaa.tv/uploads/thumbs/40on0sa5tib7sut5.jpg

thunderkyss
10-11-2011, 11:24 PM
They were just on the radio this morning talking about how he's "ahead of schedule"...he's actually questionable this week.

Jacoby Jones was flat out horrible against the Raiders, they HAD to make a move. Hell even if Andre was 100% healthy and never injured, they HAD to make a move.

I know they had to make a move... they started three WR yesterday, because that was all we had. Bryant & Andre were both injured.

Here's the deal (& I know it's not how normal people think).... but if my QB threw the ball to JJ 11 times, it's because he was open 11 times. Football outsiders somehow came up with 9 targets, 17 total to Walter, Anderson, & Jones. So JJ is open almost twice as often as Walter & Anderson.

You're damn right we needed to make a move.

Short routes, long routes, whatever as long as he's getting separation, that's more than we can say for the other 2.

It's no secret that I like Jacoby.. kinda like some people like Allen. Lots of screw ups in there, but he's one of two playmakers at his position & the other guy is hurt.

Replacing him as a number two & moving Walter to #3... makes sense, I'm down with that. I just don't see that here.

Mason is arguably an upgrade to Jacoby... better hands, better routes... less play making ability.

Mason is arguably an upgrade to Walter..

Mason is without question an upgrade to David Anderson.

Cjeremy635
10-11-2011, 11:30 PM
I like the pick-up. It's not sexy, but it's serviceable and it surprised the shit out of me when I saw it scrolling across the bottom of NFLN. He's definitely better than Jacoby and we have to get better across the board. We have to have receivers who know how to fight to get open when plays break down, and JJ just hasn't figured out how to do that yet. I hoped JJ would get it together, but if it hasn't happened by now.....it ain't ever gonna happen. Hopefully Mason can contribute right out of the gate.

Texn4life
10-11-2011, 11:31 PM
I know they had to make a move... they started three WR yesterday, because that was all we had. Bryant & Andre were both injured.

Here's the deal (& I know it's not how normal people think).... but if my QB threw the ball to JJ 11 times, it's because he was open 11 times. Football outsiders somehow came up with 9 targets, 17 total to Walter, Anderson, & Jones. So JJ is open almost twice as often as Walter & Anderson.

You're damn right we needed to make a move.

Short routes, long routes, whatever as long as he's getting separation, that's more than we can say for the other 2.

It's no secret that I like Jacoby.. kinda like some people like Allen. Lots of screw ups in there, but he's one of two playmakers at his position & the other guy is hurt.

Replacing him as a number two & moving Walter to #3... makes sense, I'm down with that. I just don't see that here.

I'm sorry, but this is where I disagree with you. You have to make plays in order to be considered a playmaker. Jacoby just doesn't do that at the receiver position. If its not drops its sloppy routes. I'm tired of waiting on him to make plays.

While Mason doesn't have the explosiveness he once had, he runs great routes and he brings something Jacoby doesn't have which is a feel for the game.

TexansFanatic
10-11-2011, 11:32 PM

JJ gets separation but doesn't make his cuts at 90 degree angles the way polished wide receivers do, so he's not where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there.

thunderkyss
10-11-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm sorry, but this is where I disagree with you. You have to make plays in order to be considered a playmaker. Jacoby just doesn't do that at the receiver position. If its not drops its sloppy routes. I'm tired of waiting on him to make plays.

While Mason does have the explosiveness he once had, he runs great routes and he brings something Jacoby doesn't have which is a feel for the game.

Jacoby's the only one who is going to take the top off the defense.

We know he isn't going to catch the ball, but they don't. That wide open Dressen Sunday.... both Safeties covering JJ

That wide open play to OD before Foster's big run against Pittsburgh, both safeties & two CBs covering JJ...

& I'm fine if Mason comes in as the #2, Walter's the #1 & JJ basically replaces David Anderson. I don't think it's worth arguing to that detail.

TheMatrix31
10-11-2011, 11:42 PM
If it's Mason, Walter, Jacoby and DA/BJ.....then we can use Jacoby to be a burner deep. Try to, at least.

When Andre comes back, it'll be Andre, Mason, Walter, and Jacoby. DA or BJ if we ever go five.

I'm infinitely more comfortable with Mason on board.

thunderkyss
10-11-2011, 11:42 PM
JJ gets separation but doesn't make his cuts at 90 degree angles the way polished wide receivers do, so he's not where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there.

Fine, you win.

I hope we cut JJ tomorrow & role into Baltimore with Walter, Mason, Anderson, & a gimpy Bryant Johnson.

Texn4life
10-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Fine, you win.

I hope we cut JJ tomorrow & role into Baltimore with Walter, Mason, Anderson, & a gimpy Bryant Johnson.

I thought someone already posted that we waived DA?

Errant Hothy
10-11-2011, 11:44 PM
Jacoby's the only one who is going to take the top off the defense.

We know he isn't going to catch the ball, but they don't. That wide open Dressen Sunday.... both Safeties covering JJ

That wide open play to OD before Foster's big run against Pittsburgh, both safeties & two CBs covering JJ...

& I'm fine if Mason comes in as the #2, Walter's the #1 & JJ basically replaces David Anderson. I don't think it's worth arguing to that detail.

This.

Untill AJ returns JJ is the only receiver we have that will threaten the D over the top. A line-up of Mason, Walter and 2 TEs seems like a crowed route grouping to me. Should leave the RB open coming out of the backfield at the very least.

silentassassin
10-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Regardless of the move, I'm happy that the organization is being proactive instead of "goin with what they got." Even if it is overreaction(and it probably isn't), it seems like they're going to do whatever the hell it takes to keep their job, which can only be good for the team's chances this year. Besides, anything is better than what Jones put out last Sunday at this point.

Hervoyel
10-11-2011, 11:46 PM
I think this is entirely a one year move to put another truly reliable, if not dynamic receiver on the field for Schaub. All you have to do is look at the Oakland game and you can tell we're one WR short of an offense here. JJ can't be depended on to be where he is supposed to be or to catch what you throw at him. He's the consummate "punk with speed" and even if he had dependable hands he wouldn't be a good fit for this team. He just never developed into the player Kubiak wanted him to be.

Mason is a the steady veteran WR who is always going to be where Schaub expects him to be. He'll get some separation too which JJ never could seem to manage and he knows about the "coming back to your QB when he's in trouble" thing.

I don't know anything about Mason's conditioning but if he's in great shape then maybe he's here two years. Most likely he gets us to the end of the year and is replaced with either a draft pick (bet we spend a first day pick on a WR) or a free agent.

This signing, even if it doesn't pan out is a good sign. The powers that be here seem to be feeling the pressure to produce now. I think JJ embarrassed Kubiak. Maybe that's what it took. 1 catch in 11 targets is pitiful.

I'm happy. Lets see what we can do with him in the next two weeks and go from there.

Texn4life
10-11-2011, 11:47 PM
This.

Untill AJ returns JJ is the only receiver we have that will threaten the D over the top. A line-up of Mason, Walter and 2 TEs seems like a crowed route grouping to me. Should leave the RB open coming out of the backfield at the very least.

You don't need burners to take the top off of defenses. The Patriots have ran an effective offense for years without a burner. Wes Welker is far from that. We need guys right now who can get open and move the chains.

Doppelganger
10-11-2011, 11:48 PM

Bernard Berrian
Brandon Lloyd
Earl Bennett
Johnny Knox

Berrian is ok, not better than Mason.

Lloyd is Denver's best receivcer, they won't trade him.

Sims-Walker: overrated.

Bennet: 2 games about 30 yards receiving and is injured. Why do you want him?

Knox: a great returner, overrated WR.

Smith is looking great in Carolina with Newton throwing to him. They won't trade him and if they do they want A LOT.

Mason was probably one of the best options we could get. He is a stop gap not a permanent solution.

TejasTom
10-11-2011, 11:48 PM
.... but if my QB threw the ball to JJ 11 times, it's because he was open 11 times. Football outsiders somehow came up with 9 targets

My guess would be that Football outsiders are not counting the throw aways out of bounds and possibly not counting the tipped ball.

thunderkyss
10-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Mason is a the steady veteran WR who is always going to be where Schaub expects him to be. He'll get some separation too which JJ never could seem to manage and he knows about the "coming back to your QB when he's in trouble" thing.

That sounds just like Kevin Walter. Why wasn't Matt throwing these balls to Walter instead of Jones? Was Walter being double covered?

TexansFanatic
10-11-2011, 11:53 PM
Fine, you win.

Whoa there! I'm just a goofy message board junkie. I don't want that kind of responsibility. ;-))

Errant Hothy
10-11-2011, 11:54 PM
You don't need burners to take the top off of defenses. The Patriots have ran an effective offense for years without a burner. Wes Welker is far from that. We need guys right now who can get open and move the chains.

And yet the Pats best year stat wise was with Moss running the 9 route into the history books.

Jacoby can get open on a vertical route, nobody in the NFL puts up the number JJ did last year without getting open at times. It's much easier to generate space in the D with speed than it is with the supreme route running abilities of a Wes Welker. Thats why there are more JJ's in the NFL than Welker's.

MEGA SWATT
10-11-2011, 11:55 PM
interesting.....

NitroGSXR
10-11-2011, 11:55 PM
I wish it was Sunday already. I hate speculating. Throw him out there and let's see what he's got!

Rey
10-11-2011, 11:56 PM
I have no idea what to think about this move.

Could be a good addition, could be another fist flailing in the air completely missing the target.

Texn4life
10-11-2011, 11:57 PM
That sounds just like Kevin Walter. Why wasn't Matt throwing these balls to Walter instead of Jones? Was Walter being double covered?

He's a different kind of receiver than Walter. They're both veterans who rely on experience and route running to get open with good hands, but Mason even at his old age works underneath routes pretty well and has made a plays after the catch even with the Jets this year. He had a nice catch and run against Baltimore a couple of weeks ago.

I honestly think Matt looked for Jacoby so much because Jacoby slid to AJ's position in the offense and he's comfortable looking there, but Jacoby isn't Andre. I could be wrong on this though.

Hervoyel
10-11-2011, 11:58 PM

Without Andre Johnson on the field is Walter really all that good?

He feeds on space that AJ clears out mostly and that's fine until AJ isn't there anymore. Then he disappears every third game or so completely. Sure, he has a good game every now and then where he abuses somebody elses version of KJ/Allen but..... no, I think we'll get better results out of Mason than we do out of Walter (with the obvious caveat that Walter knows this offense inside out and Mason is going to have to pick it up on the fly).

Mason is a clear step up from Walter I think.

Rey
10-11-2011, 11:59 PM
And yet the Pats best year stat wise was with Moss running the 9 route into the history books.

Jacoby can get open on a vertical route, nobody in the NFL puts up the number JJ did last year without getting open at times. It's much easier to generate space in the D with speed than it is with the supreme route running abilities of a Wes Welker. Thats why there are more JJ's in the NFL than Welker's.

There are more jjs than welkers because welkers are rare. Jjs are a dime a dozen.

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 12:01 AM

And how many championships did they win with Moss taking the top off of the defense? Many people will tell you to this day that the Patriots were more effective with a strong running game and receivers who just knew how to get open.

They were much more effective when Moss left the team last year. I'm not saying having a burner like Moss doesn't help, but Jacoby doesn't fit that mold. Hell, I struggling to remember a time when Jacoby has ever gotten past the defense and made a big play down the field on a fly route or a post.

steelbtexan
10-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Anybody else wish Rick/Gary would've traded that 3rd for Steve Smith now?

Like was suggested in another thread.

ArlingtonTexan
10-12-2011, 12:09 AM
Anybody else wish Rick/Gary would've traded that 3rd for Steve Smith now?

Like was suggested in another thread.

When was this a real option and not just dudes on a message board?

Dutchrudder
10-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Just in time for him to play the Ravens, his former team of 6 years. Also was a Titan for quite some time, which is the following game. Good deal, assuming we didn't give up too much. Hopefully it will only cost us a 5 or 6.

2BCF
10-12-2011, 12:14 AM
The guy has a good pair of hands, and that might be all we need from him.
At 37, I hope his MJ leg kicking is retired.

houstonspartan
10-12-2011, 12:15 AM
Holy shit. Kubiak and Smith are serious about this season.

Wow. I am stunned (but happy).

It's looking more and more like McNair laid it on the line in his office last season.

Damn.

Rey
10-12-2011, 12:20 AM

He feeds on space that AJ clears out mostly and that's fine until AJ isn't there anymore. Then he disappears every third game or so completely. Sure, he has a good game every now and then where he abuses somebody elses version of KJ/Allen but..... no, I think we'll get better results out of Mason than we do out of Walter (with the obvious caveat that Walter knows this offense inside out and Mason is going to have to pick it up on the fly).

Honestly I don't think our receiving options are all that bad.

I think schaub fails to make guys better. If a wr isn't getting wide open or making a miraculous catch, Matt struggle to consistently find windows and hit guys even when they are covered well.

We have to be one of the only teams that doesn't abuse corners with back shoulder throws.

Matt threw a bunch of screens for yardage. Hit dreesen because the play design got him super wide open open, hit od wide open across the middle a few times, dreesen boxed his guy out and made a jump ball catch, Walter made a diving catch that was not poorly thrown by shammy but the catch was awesome.

How often does Matt make you say "wow" with a throw he makes? He's just running the offense. He's rarely the guy that actually is the catalyst to a big play being made. It's usually a great catch or a great route being run or a play that gets a guy wide the he'll open.

Put Kevin Walter on a team where The qb actually makes great throws on a consistent bases and I think he'd kill.

I think jacoby would be a little better too, but he's just missing a vertebrae or something.

We don't have elite players all over the place catching passes, but with what we have we should not need a whole lot more. We have some excellent options with foster, aj, od and even Casey. Then we have some solid guys with Walter and dreesen. Jj is a wild card.

Matt has to play better and that's pretty much the end of it for me. With how Matt is playing we'd need a true superstar opposite Andre to actually make a difference and we really shouldn't need that.

houstonspartan
10-12-2011, 12:24 AM
Regardless of the move, I'm happy that the organization is being proactive instead of "goin with what they got." Even if it is overreaction(and it probably isn't), it seems like they're going to do whatever the hell it takes to keep their job, which can only be good for the team's chances this year. Besides, anything is better than what Jones put out last Sunday at this point.

I'ma have to give you your very first Rep for that one. Welcome to the board.

Texan4Ever
10-12-2011, 12:26 AM
I like this move (depending on what we gave up) because Mason is a productive receiver and with AJ being out for a few weeks, he is a great addition to our roster and gives Schaub another option to throw to.

TexansFanatic
10-12-2011, 12:28 AM
More than anything this reminds me of the Eric Moulds signing.

Mason has been a top tier wide receiver in the past, but his tank has to be dangerously close to E by now.

Still, he's at least as good if not better than the cast of Texans receivers not named Andre.

TheMatrix31
10-12-2011, 12:29 AM

Ehh, I somewhat agree, but we don't throw to Walter nearly as much as we should, I'd say.

coon
10-12-2011, 12:33 AM
I really like the deal. Derrick can come in and be reliable. Andre will be back soon and we will still have our high picks to address the wr in the draft. Yes it is a band-aid for this season only but whats wrong with that. Next season won't be played for awhile. This does give me hope that we will target a wr in the draft, and there a quite a few good ones this year.

gtexan02
10-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Has anyone mentioned we are playing Baltimore and then Tennessee? Coincidence?

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 12:35 AM

Mason has been a top tier wide receiver in the past, but his tank has to be dangerously close to E by now.

Still, he's at least as good if not better than the cast of Texans receivers not named Andre.

The only reason it doesn't remind me of the Moulds signing is because we seriously were expecting too much from Moulds when he came here. We still had the other #8 under center for us and Andre was still in his early years. I think Mason's true value will be when Andre comes back. In the meantime he'll be a reliable guy for the new #8 to throw to.

TexanFan881
10-12-2011, 12:36 AM
I like this move (depending on what we gave up) because Mason is a productive receiver and with AJ being out for a few weeks, he is a great addition to our roster and gives Schaub another option to throw to.

We gave up a conditional 7th round pick

Moulds still had close to 60 catches for 600 yards in his year here. I'd be happy with that production. It does kinda remind me of Moulds, but that's not awful production, and I think I'd put Moulds as the lowest bound for what Mason could be. Mason has been extremely consistent throughout his career.

ArlingtonTexan
10-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Has anyone mentioned we are playing Baltimore and then Tennessee? Coincidence?

It has been mentioned and it is not that important. 95 plus percent of what a team needs to know comes from prior knowledge, film study and scouting. It is cool talk to about covert action, but really teams make adjustments week by week. Mason has not been with the Titans in a couple of years, and the Ravens are 6 weeks into this years scheme. Chances are he is not telling the coaches anything that they don't know.

TexansFanatic
10-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Moulds still had close to 60 catches for 600 yards in his year here. I'd be happy with that production.

Under ten yards per catch is a little less than breathtaking though.

The only reason it doesn't remind me of the Moulds signing is because we seriously were expecting too much from Moulds when he came here.

True.

Lucky
10-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Mason has produced at a fairly high level well into his 30's. I don't know what happened with the Jets, but I doubt Mason was their major problem. From a football standpoint, he should be able to give the team 3 or 4 catches a game and extend some drives. Mason can read a blitz and find the open spot. From a locker room perspective, Mason has been on 8 playoff teams and knows how to prepare to win. Derrick should be able to lead by example.

Finally, Mason should be able to help Schaub settle down. Matt has been very inconsistent this season, and I think he needs a guy he can trust. Derrick Mason could be that guy.

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 12:57 AM
Under ten yards per catch is a little less than breathtaking though.

True.

You do realize he had David Carr throwing to him though right? Not defending him, but all of our receivers numbers should be on a curve like you're taking a test in college back then.

houstonspartan
10-12-2011, 12:58 AM
I have a feeling that, with a few exceptions (Schaub, Andre, Arian), no one on this team is safe. Seems like Rick Smith isn't playing around. :cutthroat:

Nice.

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 01:01 AM
Mason has produced at a fairly high level well into his 30's. I don't know what happened with the Jets, but I doubt Mason was their major problem. From a football standpoint, he should be able to give the team 3 or 4 catches a game and extend some drives. Mason can read a blitz and find the open spot. From a locker room perspective, Mason has been on 8 playoff teams and knows how to prepare to win. Derrick should be able to lead by example.

Finally, Mason should be able to help Schaub settle down. Matt has been very inconsistent this season, and I think he needs a guy he can trust. Derrick Mason could be that guy.

I watched every Jets game this year and I can tell you what their problem is. They have little Schotty as their coordinator and they have Sanchez as their QB.

They're ready to run Schotty out of town right now and have come to the conclusion Sanchez is never going to be a great QB. Holmes isn't even doing much in their offense because he doesn't know how to utilize the players they have. Its a pretty sad sight right now. You're right on about Mason being someone that Schaub can trust. I see him making an impact early. People will be surprised.

houstonspartan
10-12-2011, 01:04 AM

Hey, I'd be perfectly happy with 3 or 4 catches a game. Dude doesn't need to rack up TD's as long as he can freaking CATCH.

80tothezone
10-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Man by the time he gets in to the Texans, learns the system and the plays, AJ will be back full strength....

I bet you there was someone out there they could have taken and just over looked....

Dude is 37 years old. HE isn't help he is a band-aid on a team that needs legit help at the #2 WR spot....

I'll take a band aid till we can get some surgery. We can address the Wr issue in the offseason till then we got DM.

TdotTexas2Step
10-12-2011, 01:05 AM
This team's offense is all about "staying on schedule".

Having another receiver who is reliable and puts us in 3rd and manageable situations will do wonders for this team.

Solid pickup, even if it's just a temporary thing.

Carr Bombed
10-12-2011, 01:05 AM

:rolleyes: IDK, maybe we should ask Schaub, because in a lot fewer targets he had 5 catches for 89 yards, a touchdown, and was making great clutch catches throughout the game.

Sorry, but Jacoby is not a better WR (key word..WIDE RECEIVER) than Kevin Walter. He's a better athlete and thaaaaaaaat's about it. He's not a better route runner, he doesn't have a higher football I.Q., he cant block worth a flip, and certainly can't catch near as well as Walter. You know, basically all the things that are pretty important as far as being a "NFL RECEIVER" goes.

But damn he can run really fast in a straight line...that's when he decides to run in a straight line.

Jacoby is not a better WR than Kevin Walter..sorry, but he's not and I don't really care about "taking a top off of a defense" excuse. We can sign any track guy off the street to do something like that if that's all Jacoby is going to do.

He is also not a playmaker, playmakers are CONSISTENT. For arguments sake though, even if we did call him a playmaker, he's one of those kind of playmakers who has just as much of a chance of making a play for your team as he does for the other team. What Jacoby is, is a 5 YEAR PROJECT that isn't panning out. Sorry...but that's just the cold truth.

Don't fret though Next week he'll probably make a great play and then disappear for another 3-4 games.

TexCanada
10-12-2011, 01:06 AM

Agree. I love his experience, and at this point, if we can get a receiver that can average 3-4 catches per game for us then we are MUCH better off then we were last week. I like this trade even more once AJ gets back in the lineup.

TexansFanatic
10-12-2011, 01:07 AM
You do realize he had David Carr throwing to him though right?

I absolutely do recall that, but the receiver is the one running the routes.

Still, 2006 was also AJ's second worst YPC average for a season so that certainly has to be taken into consideration.

houstonspartan
10-12-2011, 01:19 AM
:rolleyes: IDK, maybe we should ask Schaub, because in a lot fewer targets he had 5 catches for 89 yards, a touchdown, and was making great clutch catches throughout the game.

Sorry, but Jacoby is not a better WR (key word..WIDE RECEIVER) than Kevin Walter. He's a better athlete and thaaaaaaaat's about it. He's not a better route runner, he doesn't have a higher football I.Q., he cant block worth a flip, and certainly can't catch near as well as Walter. You know, basically all the things that are pretty important as far as being a "NFL RECEIVER" goes.

But damn he can run really fast in a straight line...that's when he decides to run in a straight line.

Jacoby is not a better WR than Kevin Walter..sorry, but he's not and I don't really care about "taking a top off of a defense" excuse. We can sign any track guy off the street to do something like that if that's all Jacoby is going to do.

He is also not a playmaker, playmakers are CONSISTENT. For arguments sake though, even if we did call him a playmaker, he's one of those kind of playmakers who has just as much of a chance of making a play for your team as he does for the other team. What Jacoby is, is a 5 YEAR PROJECT that isn't panning out. Sorry...but that's just the cold truth.

Don't fret though Next week he'll probably make a great play and then disappear for another 3-4 games.

This pretty much covers it. I would rep you if I could, but I can't.

Jacoby has more speed than Walter, but has zero focus. As someone said earlier, this offense is built on precision and being where you are supposed to be, WHEN you are supposed to be there.

What saves Jacoby is his occasional flashes of brilliance. Once or twice a season (no more) he'll have a great catch or a great return. And then nothing.

When Jacoby was re-signed this past off season, I knew it was a mistake. But I heard a lot of people say, "Well, he already knows the system."

Actually, after four years, no he does not.

TexanSam
10-12-2011, 01:25 AM
I have no idea what to think about this move.

Could be a good addition, could be another fist flailing in the air completely missing the target.

It's worth a shot. There aren't any better options out there. Hopefully he regains his form from last season. He can't be any worse than JJ, right?

GP
10-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Also keep in mind, this isn't really a vertical offense. We get a lot of big plays downfield, but it's still a west coast offense where horizontal route running is huge (one of the reasons why Jacoby struggles to produce)

When Andre does come back, Mason should kill teams on underneath routes and he's versatile too. He can/has played outside, but has also played in the slot. With all the receiving threats we have on the field at any given time (Andre, our bazillion TEs, Foster out of the backfield...heck even Walter), he could bring that extra little nitch that really brings everything together.

I'll take consistency over flash everyday of the week. Jacoby "flashes" and then the light bulb over his head burns out. Derrik Mason has been the NFL model of consistency throughout his entire NFL career.

I think this past game exposed Jacoby Jones to everyone. And I'm the first to say that my idea of how Jacoby breaks out this year was wrong. I believed the hype machine and the quotes fed to us by Kubiak and his media pals. My bad.

You have to think that Schaub's passes that landed at Jacoby's feet, and a few that JJ had to stretch out for, were possibly the result of JJ not running accurate and well-timed routes to the spots on the field where Schaub expects JJ to be at a certain TIME in the progression count.

OD does not have that problem. Nor do others.

It appears that the Texans have given up on Jacoby Jones, signaling the need for a guy such as Derrick Mason who can do what Jacoby can't.

I'm with CarrBombed on this one. This offense is about timed routes that include SOME deep routes (Andre Johnson, and sometimes a jail break by Walter or OD/Dreessen) but mostly finding holes in the shallow-to-mid parts of the field. Work that area and try to go up top when you can.

Without the shallow-to-mid stuff, the deep stuff is hard to get. The running game also falters because the LBs do not have to respect the shallow-to-mid area of the field. Result: LBs can hang out at the line of scrimmage and just smash our running game. No need to cover Jacoby when he takes himself and his team out of the equation all by himself. THAT prompted Kubiak and Smith to pull the lever on the Derrick Mason deal. Andre Johnson, when he comes back, is going to have Mason and Walter out there. Jacoby on punt return duty until the end of the year, and he's a goner in the off-season.

This got figured out by Kubiak or most likely the guy who gathers up dirty jerseys and jock straps at the end of each game and then HE told Gary that you have to get a reliable route runner with speed or everything else is toast.

As far as Mason not making it in New York, meh. That team is in chaos right now, he runs his mouth, and it was a win-win-win for all three parties involved.

This guy knows the Titans. He knows the Ravens. He knows the Jets. He plays hard, he catches passes. It's at least SOMETHING to pacify us. Let's see how it works out. As smart and savvy as he is, I reckon he will make a faster impact than we think. Jacoby is done here. The Raiders game was his chance to show he belongs, and he choked.

GP
10-12-2011, 01:34 AM

Right on.

Schaub, IMO, has to have reliable targets or he goes bananas out there. If he can have guys who consistently get to the right spots at the right times, it seems his confidence level is boosted. If not, it feels like he sort of lets up and doesn't know how to perform himself.

With AJ questionable, Derrick Mason is at least a placebo pill at worst and a catalyst for better QB performance at best.

houstonspartan
10-12-2011, 01:36 AM
I think this past game exposed Jacoby Jones to everyone. And I'm the first to say that my idea of how Jacoby breaks out this year was wrong. I believed the hype machine and the quotes fed to us by Kubiak and his media pals. My bad.

You have to think that Schaub's passes that landed at Jacoby's feet, and a few that JJ had to stretch out for, were possibly the result of JJ not running accurate and well-timed routes to the spots on the field where Schaub expects JJ to be at a certain TIME in the progression count.

OD does not have that problem. Nor do others.

It appears that the Texans have given up on Jacoby Jones, signaling the need for a guy such as Derrick Mason who can do what Jacoby can't.

I'm with CarrBombed on this one. This offense is about timed routes that include SOME deep routes (Andre Johnson, and sometimes a jail break by Walter or OD/Dreessen) but mostly finding holes in the shallow-to-mid parts of the field. Work that area and try to go up top when you can.

Without the shallow-to-mid stuff, the deep stuff is hard to get. The running game also falters because the LBs do not have to respect the shallow-to-mid area of the field. Result: LBs can hang out at the line of scrimmage and just smash our running game. No need to cover Jacoby when he takes himself and his team out of the equation all by himself. THAT prompted Kubiak and Smith to pull the lever on the Derrick Mason deal. Andre Johnson, when he comes back, is going to have Mason and Walter out there. Jacoby on punt return duty until the end of the year, and he's a goner in the off-season.

This got figured out by Kubiak or most likely the guy who gathers up dirty jerseys and jock straps at the end of each game and then HE told Gary that you have to get a reliable route runner with speed or everything else is toast.

As far as Mason not making it in New York, meh. That team is in chaos right now, he runs his mouth, and it was a win-win-win for all three parties involved.

This guy knows the Titans. He knows the Ravens. He knows the Jets. He plays hard, he catches passes. It's at least SOMETHING to pacify us. Let's see how it works out. As smart and savvy as he is, I reckon he will make a faster impact than we think. Jacoby is done here. The Raiders game was his chance to show he belongs, and he choked.

Correct. This is why we always see - or used to see - short screens to OD constantly. Those holes in the field were always there.

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 01:38 AM
Right on.

Schaub, IMO, has to have reliable targets or he goes bananas out there. If he can have guys who consistently get to the right spots at the right times, it seems his confidence level is boosted. If not, it feels like he sort of lets up and doesn't know how to perform himself.

With AJ questionable, Derrick Mason is at least a placebo pill at worst and a catalyst for better QB performance at best.

Exactly, and it baffles me with the people questioning this move. At this point we weren't going to get a young, proven #2 receiver. Mason will be able to fill a key role for the rest of the season and we can go out and address this issue seriously in the off-season.

Cam Cameron's offense is extremely similar to the one we run here in Houston. He will be able to play some this week which also helps quite a bit.

Showtime100
10-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Off topic, but.......

I'm going to be up all night and NFLN is playing the Oakland-Houston game at 1:00am central which is, as of this post, in 20 minutes. I refuse to watch, but I will. Kind of like watching a disaster. I want to see a clearer picture of what went wrong and there is nothing I can do about it. :rake:

GP
10-12-2011, 01:45 AM
Exactly, and it baffles me with the people questioning this move. At this point we weren't going to get a young, proven #2 receiver. Mason will be able to fill a key role for the rest of the season and we can go out and address this issue seriously in the off-season.

Cam Cameron's offense is extremely similar to the one we run here in Houston. He will be able to play some this week which also helps quite a bit.

I drafted AJ Green (rookie WR for Bengals) in my FFL this year.

A guy like him, IMO, is what we have to identify and ACQUIRE in next year's draft. Andre Johnson is not going to be around forever. The time is NOW to find his heir to the throne.

And, maybe Lestar Jean makes it out of camp and onto the roster in Jacoby's spot, too. Jean provides an extra option.

GP
10-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Off topic, but.......

I'm going to be up all night and NFLN is playing the Oakland-Houston game at 1:00am central which is, as of this post, in 20 minutes. I refuse to watch, but I will. Kind of like watching a disaster. I want to see what went wrong for a clearer picture of what went wrong and there is nothing I can do about it. :rake:

You're a glutton for punishment.

I have been kicked in the balls before, no need to ask someone to do it to me again so that I remember how it felt. Foot, nuts, pain...yep, I remember how it goes. See?

Good luck to you. Do you have a loved one you can call, at any time of day or night, who can talk you off a tall building ledge?

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 01:50 AM
I drafted AJ Green (rookie WR for Bengals) in my FFL this year.

A guy like him, IMO, is what we have to identify and ACQUIRE in next year's draft. Andre Johnson is not going to be around forever. The time is NOW to find his heir to the throne.

And, maybe Lestar Jean makes it out of camp and onto the roster in Jacoby's spot, too. Jean provides an extra option.

This draft will be absolutely loaded with Wide Receivers. I think we can even wait until Round 2 to get a quality player who can play right away if we decide to go CB or DT in the first round.

KA4Texan
10-12-2011, 01:53 AM

I have been kicked in the balls before, no need to ask someone to do it to me again so that I remember how it felt. Foot, nuts, pain...yep, I remember how it goes. See?

Good luck to you. Do you have a loved one you can call, at any time of day or night, who can talk you off a tall building ledge?

Falling from a tall building would be almost painless I'm sure, sounds to me like it would only be a medium height, shatter the legs, excruciating pain and the more likely choice of the masochist Texan fan.

Showtime100
10-12-2011, 01:57 AM

Falling from a tall building would be almost painless I'm sure, sounds to me like it would only be a medium height, shatter the legs, excruciating pain and the more likely choice of the masochist Texan fan.

Don't get me wrong, I still haven't ruled our porn instead. :D :gamer:

TexansSeminole
10-12-2011, 02:49 AM
I think this is entirely a one year move to put another truly reliable, if not dynamic receiver on the field for Schaub. All you have to do is look at the Oakland game and you can tell we're one WR short of an offense here. JJ can't be depended on to be where he is supposed to be or to catch what you throw at him. He's the consummate "punk with speed" and even if he had dependable hands he wouldn't be a good fit for this team. He just never developed into the player Kubiak wanted him to be.

I don't know anything about Mason's conditioning but if he's in great shape then maybe he's here two years. Most likely he gets us to the end of the year and is replaced with either a draft pick (bet we spend a first day pick on a WR) or a free agent.

This signing, even if it doesn't pan out is a good sign. The powers that be here seem to be feeling the pressure to produce now. I think JJ embarrassed Kubiak. Maybe that's what it took. 1 catch in 11 targets is pitiful.

I'm happy. Lets see what we can do with him in the next two weeks and go from there.

This is exactly the way I feel.

At most this is a two year move. Most likely this is a move to get our offense rolling moving into the end of the season. This is the first time we have seen the Texans leverage the long term for short term gain. Albeit, it's probably for a 6th or 7th round pick.

Mason is a quality wideout. He will be able to play multiple positions after getting acclimated here. I doubt that takes longer than 3 weeks for a guy like Mason. He has the set of hands we need out of our receivers right now. The way our offense is going, you get one shot to get the first down. You can't drop the ball. We design plenty of plays that get guys open. What we needed was someone who could come down with the damn ball. Mason does that.

This isn't necessarily just a move to replace Andre Johnson's production. If this team has a shot in the playoffs, it needs a guy like Mason AND Andre Johnson.

I'm excited. Let's see what happens.

bckey
10-12-2011, 02:55 AM
I think the Texans may have set an NFL record today by trading for a 37 year old receiver. It isn't often you see anyone over 35 traded in the NFL. Lets hope he stays heathy and doesn't turn out like Ahman Green.

bckey
10-12-2011, 03:06 AM
I hope that some of the stuff about Mason in this article isn't true. Here is an excerpt:

The Jets figured that Mason, a 15-year veteran who played in a similar offensive system in Baltimore, would be able to handle the transition. But he struggled so much that there were times during games when he didn't know the play, a source said -- and a couple of those instances were caught by the TV cameras.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7090313/new-york-jets-trade-derrick-mason-houston-texans-conditional-pick-sources-say

Norg
10-12-2011, 03:12 AM
desprate move from a regime who has only like 12 more games to prove its self WTF is wrong with Bryant Johnson ???? is what i wanna know

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 03:16 AM
I hope that some of the stuff about Mason in this article isn't true. Here is an excerpt:

The Jets figured that Mason, a 15-year veteran who played in a similar offensive system in Baltimore, would be able to handle the transition. But he struggled so much that there were times during games when he didn't know the play, a source said -- and a couple of those instances were caught by the TV cameras.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7090313/new-york-jets-trade-derrick-mason-houston-texans-conditional-pick-sources-say

I'm not buying it. Holmes, Burress, Greene, Tomlinson, and Mason have all come out and said there were issues with Little Schotty this year. Its rare that that many vets would speak out against an offensive coordinator if there weren't issues there. There are issues going on there in New York, but if they're trying to blame Mason for it then they are going nowhere fast. I've been following the Jets pretty close for the past few years and can tell you they're having a serious identity crisis there right now. I almost equate it to the problems UT had last year. They tried to go to a wide open passing attack this year, and when they realized Sanchez wouldn't be relied on for that they said they would go back to the ground and pound. Problem is they've replaced 2 quality offensive lineman the past 1+ year and they've lost a bit of their edge up front. They're problems on offense have nothing to do with Mason. Fans will see that the rest of the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Callahan take over for Schotty sometime this year as the playcaller.

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 03:18 AM
desprate move from a regime who has only like 12 more games to prove its self WTF is wrong with Bryant Johnson ???? is what i wanna know

It could have something to do with him being hurt and Mason outperforming him every year he's been in the league. Just an educated guess of mine.

Norg
10-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Lets hope tho things dont go bad :knocks on wood : and Kubes tries to get anybody to save his job and waste all our picks

Because his Kubes goes Rick has 2 go two hell everybody under the kubes tree

beerlover
10-12-2011, 03:28 AM
I don't think he's a difference maker. Should just replace David Anderson.

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 03:30 AM
I don't think he's a difference maker. Should just replace David Anderson.

So you think we traded for him to be an emergency receiver? Please explain this one to me.

beerlover
10-12-2011, 03:40 AM
So you think we traded for him to be an emergency receiver? Please explain this one to me.

nothing more nothing less. declining skill set all around. Kubiak is not going to say anything bad publicly about Jacoby but you can bet he's in his dog house. Walter played best out of the group & David Anderson gets thrown around like a wet doll. Not to mention even though Andre wants to get out there but if they allow him to come back too soon Texans could lose him for rest of the year just like Mario. So yeah, its kinda of an emergency. I would like to see them go after a younger, stronger & bigger receiver. Even Bryant Johnson might work out better but hell he has hamstring issues of his own.

bottom line Texans got cute & didn't draft a WR early or go after a premier free agent & it bit them on the butt. It was all about the defense, cause the offense was fine, well wrong it's not Texans don't have anybody capable of stepping up in Andres absence.

PHAROAH
10-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Jacoby Sucks!!!!! Derrick is a stop gap player until next years draft where the texans should use multiple picks to acquire new wr's to rebuild this receiving corp other than andre.

Texn4life
10-12-2011, 03:56 AM
nothing more nothing less. declining skill set all around. Kubiak is not going to say anything bad publicly about Jacoby but you can bet he's in his dog house. Walter played best out of the group & David Anderson gets thrown around like a wet doll. Not to mention even though Andre wants to get out there but if they allow him to come back too soon Texans could lose him for rest of the year just like Mario. So yeah, its kinda of an emergency. I would like to see them go after a younger, stronger & bigger receiver. Even Bryant Johnson might work out better but hell he has hamstring issues of his own.

bottom line Texans got cute & didn't draft a WR early or go after a premier free agent & it bit them on the butt. It was all about the defense, cause the offense was fine, well wrong it's not Texans don't have anybody capable of stepping up in Andres absence.

I agree that the Texans screwed up by not drafting or bringing in a capable receiver the past couple of years, but I think Mason's acquisition is more of a sign that Jacoby will become a special teams player only once Andre comes back. I agree that we'll have to get younger in the off-season and get someone who can actually be a consistent threat on the field.

Most Texans fans I know have been saying that the Texans needed another threat on the outside. There were fans who said that we have Owen Daniels and some of the other guys, but I never bought that. You have to have guys outside the hashes who can make plays for you. While Mason may have a declining skill set, David Anderson doesn't have a skill set at all. How he's remained in the league this long I have no idea. I watched McManis embarrass him in 1 on 1 drills last year where he just gave up. I couldn't believe what I was seeing to be honest with you.

srrono
10-12-2011, 04:07 AM
some mason highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3dWoak69HM

Balt highlghts 2010-11 warning some Texan nightmares
you can see great plays made recently by mason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5qPVneolzs&feature=related

Maddict5
10-12-2011, 04:12 AM

bullshit

so what you would rather braylon edwards over jjoe or manning?

some reach of a wr over watt or reed? you'd be bitching now too if they had done that with mario out

srrono
10-12-2011, 05:36 AM
this year
WR Mason 13 rec 115 yds 0tds on pace for 40 rec on NYJ

Break down of 3rd down below
WR Mason 13 rec 115 yds 0tds
WR Mason 7 rec were on 3rd down - 5 rec were for 1st downs

WR Holmes 17 rec 224yds 2tds
WR Holmes 5 rec were on 3rd down - 2 rec were for 1st downs

WR Burress 13 rec 202 yds 2tds
WR Burress 4 rec were on 3rd down - 4 rec were for 1st downs

TE Keller 19 rec 268 yds 2tds
TE Keller 4 rec were on 3rd down - 3 rec were for 1st downs

You take into account Mason was benched last week and he was the 3rd string reciever. Mason was looked at as a go to guy on 3rd downs.

Hopefully Mason continues to be clutch on 3rd downs for the Texans to keep drives alive and a asset in the red zone.

NFL Career Receptions Leaders
1. Jerry Rice+ 1,549
2. Marvin Harrison 1,102
3. Cris Carter 1,101
4. Tony Gonzalez 1,096
5. Tim Brown 1,094
6. Terrell Owens 1,078
7. Isaac Bruce 1,024
8. Hines Ward 974
9. Randy Moss 954
10. Andre Reed 951
11. Art Monk 940
12. Derrick Mason 937

NFL Alltime TD
#43 Derrick Mason 66 TD

NFL Alltime Recieving Yards
#18 Derrick Mason 12,006 yds

thunderkyss
10-12-2011, 06:10 AM

This really reminds me of San Diego's Chris Chambers signing a few years ago that another poster mentioned earlier.

CloakNNNdagger
10-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Wonder how "plug in ready" he can be not having been part of this complicated offense for any period of time. You can probably expect him to have a very limited role for quite a while. The Ds may anticipate simple routes, making it fairly simple to cover him. Will just have to see how useful and how quickly he can contribute in return for what we may have given up.

thunderkyss
10-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Sorry, but Jacoby is not a better WR (key word..WIDE RECEIVER) than Kevin Walter.

I'm not saying he is better than KW, I'm saying he was open & no one else was. Very, very rarely does Kubiak draw up a play to get one person open.

This is not about Jacoby Jones vs Kevin Walter, it's about getting more receivers on the field that can get open. We're a 2 WR team that uses a lot of 3 WR packages. Sunday we had 3 WR suited up & ready to play.

Signing Mason may very well knock Jacoby down to the 3rd WR spot, but whether he's 2 or 3 right now doesn't matter, the fact that we just signed a 37 year old guy who is a better receiver than either is

Jacoby is getting a lot of hate right now. Because he's getting $3 million a year & the one time he was drawn up as the feature receiver he didn't make enough plays.

I understand that, but our WR issues are deeper than Jacoby Jones... we just signed a 37 year old man who is a better WR option than anything we have available on our current roster.

TEXANRED
10-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Wonder how "plug in ready" he can be not having been part of this complicated offense for any period of time. You can probably expect him to have a very limited role for quite a while. The Ds may anticipate simple routes, making it fairly simple to cover him. Will just have to see how useful and how quickly he can contribute in return for what we may have given up.

He has probably been playing football for 27 out of the 37 years he has walked the earth. A guy like Mason can probably pick up a system pretty easy otherwise he wouldn't have stuck around the NFL for the last 15 years.

More than anything he will help our run game. Neither Jones nor Anderson can run block very well.

thunderkyss
10-12-2011, 08:27 AM
I agree that the Texans screwed up by not drafting or bringing in a capable receiver the past couple of years

What really hurts, is that we traded up into the second round to get a guy that can't get on the field.... for whatever reason.

I'm not a draft guy, I don't watch college football, so I don't know who we could have traded into the second round to get...

It's hindsight, I'm not saying any different, but right now it makes you wonder.

Again, I like Jacoby I think he brings something to this team that none of the other guys bring including Mason, you want to replace JJ, bring someone with some speed (Bryant Johnson??), but I was one of the guys hoping to get a WR early in the past draft & now next years draft.

I liked the Brandon Harris Pick, my idea was to get him with the Reed pick, but the Reed pick seems to be right on & a good use of that pick now (with Mario hurt), just saying, trading into the second to get a guy we can't put on the field, seems like a WR would have been a prudent selection.

HoustonFrog
10-12-2011, 08:29 AM
I guess I'm going to be one of the ones that has skepticism on the move. If the ESPN article is even semi-accurate then you have a 15 year guy who was being replaced on a team that needs receivers, he didn't know the playback and was lost in games and he was flying home twice a week to see family. Then he has a meeting last week and this happens. To me it looks like a guy who may not be sure of his future and who may be eyeing retirement. If he is not too involved who knows if he will check out. I always thought Mason was a stud and a get dirty guy but something just seems off with this. I give it this year max. Heck he may be here more for Wade to pick his brain than skill sets. How many across the middle guys do you need.....

TimeKiller
10-12-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't think they'll mind having to give him a specific direction in the huddle. Call the play, lean over and say 10 yard hitch. This is a good pickup and hopefully it will signal the end of ever having to watch Jones attempt to catch the ball with his chest. They replaced a dude who has NEVER had it with a dude who has ALWAYS had it. For what? A conditional 7th? So next year we won't have to even worry about a Cheta Ogzoogwu/Zac Diles/David Anderson/Alex Brink? Awesome.

thunderkyss
10-12-2011, 08:34 AM
To me it looks like a guy who may not be sure of his future and who may be eyeing retirement. If he is not too involved who knows if he will check out. I always thought Mason was a stud and a get dirty guy but something just seems off with this. I give it this year max. Heck he may be here more for Wade to pick his brain than skill sets. How many across the middle guys do you need.....

I've got no doubt this is a one year deal. If Mason is here beyond this season, I would be surprised.

Vinny
10-12-2011, 08:36 AM
The Jets were apparently upset with Mason’s inability to grasp their playbook. The 37-year-old traveled home to Nashville each Monday and Tuesday, the New York Post reported, which “contributed to his difficulty” learning offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system.

The New York Daily News also cited the receiver’s shaky knowledge as a reason for his departure. The paper reported Mason’s “criticisms of the offense” was another factor that led to the trade. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/12/report-derrick-mason-trade-due-to-shaky-grasp-of-jets-playbook/

Texan_Bill
10-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Heywood Jeffires shows up on most Sundays.

Texan_Bill
10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
The Jets were apparently upset with Mason’s inability to grasp their playbook. The 37-year-old traveled home to Nashville each Monday and Tuesday, the New York Post reported, which “contributed to his difficulty” learning offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system.

The New York Daily News also cited the receiver’s shaky knowledge as a reason for his departure. The paper reported Mason’s “criticisms of the offense” was another factor that led to the trade.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/10/12/report-derrick-mason-trade-due-to-shaky-grasp-of-jets-playbook/

Translation: He thinks Mark Sanchez sucks. :runaway:

Thorn
10-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Meh......whatever. I don't think Mason will do us much good against the Ravens this late in the week. He would do less harm than Jacoby Jones though. Of course a reciever could do less harm than Jacoby Jones by simply not showing up on Sunday.

NitroGSXR
10-12-2011, 09:08 AM

This reeks of Mason putting his foot in Rex's mouth.

The Jets WR corps actually had a very decent starting 3 but absolutely no depth (remind you of anybody? the Texans maybe?). I read something that said Mason, Holmes, and Burress all complained individualy about little Schot. I'm thinkng that the Jets had to assert authority upon that receiving squad. Mason, at 37, certainly was the most expendable of the three.

Yankee_In_TX
10-12-2011, 09:10 AM

According to McLame AJ's stitches are now out and he 'can do what he can do' so MAYBE he'll be back in time for Tenn????

chicagotexan2
10-12-2011, 09:32 AM
This reeks of Mason putting his foot in Rex's mouth.The Jets WR corps actually had a very decent starting 3 but absolutely no depth (remind you of anybody? the Texans maybe?). I read something that said Mason, Holmes, and Burress all complained individualy about little Schot. I'm thinkng that the Jets had to assert authority upon that receiving squad. Mason, at 37, certainly was the most expendable of the three.

If that were the case Rex would have extended him another 6 years and would have made a video of it. You're probably right. It wasn't a high pick for a guy on his last legs to upgrade our **** eyed lousy 3rd WR. I know there is plenty of season left but it's funny how fast a fan can go from a world of optimism to pessimism.

phantom17
10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
If that were the case Rex would have extended him another 6 years and would have made a video of it. You're probably right. It wasn't a high pick for a guy on his last legs to upgrade our **** eyed lousy 3rd WR. I know there is plenty of season left but it's funny how fast a fan can go from a world of optimism to pessimism.

The Texans has a tendency to do this to their fans! :toropalm:

BigBull17
10-12-2011, 10:14 AM
This reeks of Mason putting his foot in Rex's mouth.
The Jets WR corps actually had a very decent starting 3 but absolutely no depth (remind you of anybody? the Texans maybe?). I read something that said Mason, Holmes, and Burress all complained individualy about little Schot. I'm thinkng that the Jets had to assert authority upon that receiving squad. Mason, at 37, certainly was the most expendable of the three.

...yuck...

El Tejano
10-12-2011, 10:22 AM

That's not just funny. It very well may be true.

dinkatoid
10-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I think all things considered, this is a great move. The bottom line is, we needed a band aid to hold us over till the off season, and we needed a guy with a cheap salary and for a low cost, and we got exactly that.

Mason is a savvy vet, and I think the best part of this trade is just another veteran in the locker room. It never hurts to have more leadership. Mason may not have a ton left in the tank, but he is not counted on here for major production. We do not need him as a WR#2, just as a rotational WR#3 that can help move the chains. All we need is a few first downs where he can sit down on the other side of the marker and catch the ball. He is also a decent blocker, which will only help Foster. I am not sure they will even hand him the full playbook at first, or just give him a small package of plays for him to get used to for certain situations.

As for the whole Jets situation, it has been a mess for sure. We will never know why it did not work out, because it is probably the fault of everyone involved. However, it is possible that the reason for half of this is as simple as the fact that Mason was not happy there. He might have just been comfortable in a much calmer locker room such as Baltimore, and the Jets were more than he could handle. A change of scenery might do him good, and I am sure he will not complain about this landing spot.

Bottom line is it is a worthy gamble to me. If he helps us, great. If he is just veteran insurance, then it at least made some of us feel better about our WRs. Heck ,it only required a conditional 7th round pick, so it is possible we pay nothing at all if it does not work out.

Ole Miss Texan
10-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Mason has averaged close to 80 rec / 1,000 yds / 6 TDs during the 4 seasons Jacoby has been in the league.

Is he old? Yes. But he's a smart veteran WR that runs good routes. That's what Schaub needs in this offense. Jacoby's route running is awful and it looks like he panics under pressure. Schaub will look much better with Mason and Walter being his WRs for the time being.

I'd rather an older technician for a few games than a young player that doesn't know how the ******* to play pro football.

HOU-TEX
10-12-2011, 10:27 AM
It's a good thing we re-signed JJ! Pffft!

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what we saw in the dude other than a few plays.

The1ApplePie
10-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Good move for the short-term and should be a nice stop-gap until the Texans can get a rookie next year.

hot pickle
10-12-2011, 10:30 AM
hopefully this isnt another eric moulds situation

Thorn
10-12-2011, 10:33 AM
It's a good thing we re-signed JJ! Pffft!

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what we saw in the dude other than a few plays.

JJ just signed that new contract, so unless McNair just wants to throw cash away, JJ remains. :rake:

Dutchrudder
10-12-2011, 10:37 AM
JJ just signed that new contract, so unless McNair just wants to throw cash away, JJ remains. :rake:

Given the structure of the deal, 10 million over 3 years with 3 mill guaranteed, I'm pretty sure we can cut him this offseason without any penalty. Or trade him if anyone out there is really hard up.

silvrhand
10-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Personally I like it, we are addressing issues mid season with a trade that seems really good and for a 7th round draft pick..

False Start
10-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Heywood Jeffires shows up on most Sundays.

And the dude still looks like hes 25.

Texecutioner
10-12-2011, 10:49 AM
We're about two years to late on Mason unfortunately. It doesn't mean that he can't help us out though. He has reliable hands and is a true professional, but he has been on his last leg for years now. I'm really shocked that he was able to put up some of the numbers he has over the years and remain fairly healthy. I think that he mainly did it because Baltimore had no one else to throw to for so long. Either way, at least the Texans are doing something by getting him and Iglecias.

srrono
10-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Texans have waived RB Chris Ogbonnaya.

record
10-12-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm a little confused as to why anyone is complaining about this move as it seems like a no risk deal to me. He is definitely an experienced and smart WR who will be better than JJ on 3rd down, precision routes, and knowing how to get open when a play breaks down. When AJ comes back, he should be able to find open spaces down field and in the seam as teams double cover AJ. As long as he has a desire to play and has something left in the tank, then he improves our receiver core. If not, we cut him and lose next to nothing. I'm glad the Texans FO is trying to improve and not just playing the "roll with what we got" line.

What is the risk exactly? A 7th round pick? Whoop-de-do!!! Good move Texans and way to not be complacent.

It's still playoffs or out the door for Kubes and Smith.

leebigeztx
10-12-2011, 11:18 AM
If you're gonna go old wr route, why not moss or tj? I like mson and have since his titan days, but if they're trying to solidify the wr corps, moss or tj does it better. Tj catches tds also.

srrono
10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
If you're gonna go old wr route, why not moss or tj? I like mson and have since his titan days, but if they're trying to solidify the wr corps, moss or tj does it better. Tj catches tds also.

Moss dont play hard why get a lazy guy like him.
Owens has a blown achilies and just was hospitalized last thursday for some type of pill OD. SO NO ON BOTH

NitroGSXR
10-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Moss dont play hard why get a lazy guy like him.
Owens has a blown achilies and just was hospitalized last thursday for some type of pill OD. SO NO ON BOTH

He was talking about TJ Houshmanzadeh, not Terrell Owens.

srrono
10-12-2011, 11:30 AM

my bad

TJ is a big mystery he has been going to a lot of visits with teams but no one signs him so something is wrong there. He was good in cin but when he went to sea he seemed to go bad fast.

steelbtexan
10-12-2011, 11:32 AM
This trade is proof that the JJ signing was a mistake.

A 37 old Mason is an upgrade and that's an indictment of Smith/Gary and the Texans scouting dept.

It's been this way for yrs and didn't change until atleast Wade took over the draft for the defense in the 2011 draft.

ChampionTexan
10-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Who started 2 games for the same 2010 Ravens team that Derrick Mason started 15. Also TJ's only caught 6 TD passes the last two seasons - despite starting 16 games for the Seahawks in 2009, while Mason had 7 TD receptions in each of those two years, so I haven't a clue as to where his TD remark came from.

Also, for what it's worth, the 49ers just tried out TJ, and ended up going with Brett Swain - a 7th round pick in 2009 who has 6 catches in his NFL career. TJ's no longer a viable NFL receiver.

NitroGSXR
10-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Who started 2 games for the same 2010 Ravens team that Derrick Mason started 15. Also TJ's only caught 6 TD passes the last two seasons - despite starting 16 games for the Seahawks in 2009, while Mason had 7 TD receptions in each of those two years, so I haven't a clue as to where his TD remark came from.

Also, for what it's worth, the 49ers just tried out TJ, and ended up going with Brett Swain - a 7th round pick in 2009 who has 6 catches in his NFL career. TJ's no longer a viable NFL receiver.

My post wasn't an indictment on Mason nor an endorsement for Housh. I was just helping a fellow poster from getting confused.

Heath Shuler
10-12-2011, 11:42 AM
have the Texans ever traded for a player during the season?

NitroGSXR
10-12-2011, 11:44 AM

I thought about this last night. We have traded away players (Travis Johnson) but I don't think we have received a player in return during the Kubiak era. Its why the Mason acquistion is so refreshing.

srrono
10-12-2011, 11:46 AM
tweet by Mason

deemason85 Derrick Mason
A setback is a set up for something great!! I'm Hungrier than ever....

GP
10-12-2011, 11:50 AM

I don't think we have done this during the Kubiak era.

I think I remember us trading for Philip Buchanon, CB of the Raiders, but not sure if that was mid-season or what. EDIT: We acquired him in a trade on April 25, 2005. Off-season.

Kubiak knows his ass is on the line this year. This move is an "Uh-Oh" move if there ever was one. It shows that he has ditched the Jacoby Jones project, and it happens 5 games into the season. Ouch.

Mr teX
10-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Like this move...a legit, veteran 3rd down possession guy who's more savy than JJ ever was & also a guy that won't be demanding the ball knowing that he'll be sharing touches with a beast once AJ gets back........which will be he'll be the icing on the cake by the way. In the mean time however, He coupled together with OD & Walter should be just enough of a threat in the passing game that people will have to respect it...which will bode well keeping holes open for Arian to crease through.

I shake my head at those thinking we could've gotten someone any better in the middle of the season...without mortgaging our future in the process.

Ndevine7
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know the conditions of this trade? Is it Mason's performance based or Texans performance based? I have heard its a 7th right now but whats the highest it can get to a 5th?

Kthx
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
From what I saw last week our lack of receiving options didn't only stop our passing game it also let them stack the box against our running game and kill that as well. Mason is a big enough name as old as he is that teams are going to have to have an extra player back there covering him which will also allow our running game to "get off the ground" and not make us so one dimensional. I think its a smart pickup even if the guy doesn't even get one catch in the next two games until AJ is back.

welsh texan
10-12-2011, 11:56 AM
TJ was playing across from Ochocinco with Carson Palmer at QB when he looked good. Anyone think that had a big impact on how good he looked?

It was probably a big adjustment to suddenly recieve some coverage and not have such a good QB throwing to him and he never recovered from it.

Derrick Mason has been a decent player the last couple of years. He knows how to play the position and has clearly adapted to his increasing age to remain productive if not what he was when younger.

All in all this is a big positive for the team. Here's hoping he can see us through AJ's layoff and then who knows how good we could look with him, AJ & Walter at WR, Walter has always been a natural slot reciever playing above his natural ability to hold down the #2, it will make an interesting battle for who plays the slot eventually.

Jacoby can concentrate on punt returns.

Heath Shuler
10-12-2011, 11:57 AM
I don't think we have done this during the Kubiak era.

I think I remember us trading for Philip Buchanon, CB of the Raiders, but not sure if that was mid-season or what. EDIT: We acquired him in a trade on April 25, 2005. Off-season.

Kubiak knows his ass is on the line this year. This move is an "Uh-Oh" move if there ever was one. It shows that he has ditched the Jacoby Jones project, and it happens 5 games into the season. Ouch.

I looked it up also: can't believe Texans gave up a 2nd & a 3rd for pburnt; horrible

GP
10-12-2011, 11:58 AM
I looked it up also: can't believe Texans gave up a 2nd & a 3rd for pburnt; horrible

I remember being THRILLED! Then some of the other message board members came on and said, "Uh, have you guys seen what the Raiders fans are saying about us getting Philip Buchanon?"

Then I saw how ecstatic they were that they fleeced us for the guy. Ouch.

bckey
10-12-2011, 11:59 AM
I have liked Mason for a long time. The Texans really lose nothing by bringing him here. He is 37 though and even tried to retire a few years ago. I think why some fans are upset is because Kubiak/Smith have let our wr corps get to the point they are at now (no viable 2nd wr) and now are desperate to put a bandaid on the situation. Instead of drafting all those Te's maybe they should have drafted at least 1 wr instead. Did they really believe JJ was the answer? Another situation where the smartest guy in the room isn't so smart once the light is turned on.

My thinking with Mason being brought in is as a last ditch effort to help Jacoby Jones become the receiver he has been projected to be since he was drafted 4 years ago. Mason is more knowledgable than most coaches because of the 15 years experience in the NFL which has included playoffs and a superbowl. Mason also didn't really produce until his 4th season which Jacoby is in right now. It is the between the ears part that Jacoby needs the most work on and Mason is probably the best player to help him in all phases of his game. And I believe Mason will definately contribute on the field also. Not like he would have some years back but they just need reliability and stability and that is what they should get from Mason. I gotta believe with Mason last week instead of Jacoby the Texans chance to score would have been much higher.

GP
10-12-2011, 12:03 PM
I gotta believe with Mason last week instead of Jacoby the Texans chance to score would have been much higher.

Agreed.

I thought it, but didn't want to say it. Jacoby's poor route running is what made us make the move for Mason, and "what if?" we had Mason for last week's game?

NitroGSXR
10-12-2011, 12:04 PM
I remember being THRILLED! Then some of the other message board members came on and said, "Uh, have you guys seen what the Raiders fans are saying about us getting Philip Buchanon?"

Then I saw how ecstatic they were that they fleeced us for the guy. Ouch.

Opponent message boards are the best source of information out there. I wonder what Baltimore fansbare saying? Jet fans probably got alot more pn their mind than Derrick Mason but I am still curious... anyone headed over there?

HOU-TEX
10-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Championship!

Sorry, I had to be that guy...again

beerlover
10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Jacoby has officially busted if he is replaced by a journeyman 37 year old WR :rake:

GP
10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Opponent message boards are the best source of information out there. I wonder what Baltimore fansbare saying? Jet fans probably got alot more pn their mind than Derrick Mason but I am still curious... anyone headed over there?

I think you're right about how the Jets are focusing on other problems and don't care. I think Mason knew the Jets have bigger problems than himself, and so HE doesn't care either...which might make his acquisition a good deal for us.

I do wonder about the Ravens fans. Seems they loved the guy a lot, IIRC.

houstonspartan
10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
I have liked Mason for a long time. The Texans really lose nothing by bringing him here. He is 37 though and even tried to retire a few years ago. I think why some fans are upset is because Kubiak/Smith have let our wr corps get to the point they are at now (no viable 2nd wr) and now are desperate to put a bandaid on the situation. Instead of drafting all those Te's maybe they should have drafted at least 1 wr instead. Did they really believe JJ was the answer? Another situation where the smartest guy in the room isn't so smart once the light is turned on.

My thinking with Mason being brought in is as a last ditch effort to help Jacoby Jones become the receiver he has been projected to be since he was drafted 4 years ago. Mason is more knowledgable than most coaches because of the 15 years experience in the NFL which has included playoffs and a superbowl. Mason also didn't really produce until his 4th season which Jacoby is in right now. It is the between the ears part that Jacoby needs the most work on and Mason is probably the best player to help him in all phases of his game. And I believe Mason will definately contribute on the field also. Not like he would have some years back but they just need reliability and stability and that is what they should get from Mason. I gotta believe with Mason last week instead of Jacoby the Texans chance to score would have been much higher.

You think they brought in Mason to help Jacoby? Um, no. I think they brought in Mason because their asses are on the line.

GP
10-12-2011, 12:08 PM
You think they brought in Mason to help Jacoby? Um, no. I think they brought in Mason because their asses are on the line.

Agreed. He's not a mentor. He's taking Jacoby's job. Period.

At this point, put Mason back there on punts too. Seriously.

The Pencil Neck
10-12-2011, 12:09 PM

The flaw with your logic is this:

In this offense, you frequently don't throw the ball to the open guy. You throw the ball to the guy who's GOING to be open. Matt drops back reading the defense and then throws to the open guy WHERE the open guy is supposed to be.

One problem with Jacoby is that he's lazy with his cuts and routes and he's frequently not where he's supposed to be. Matt throws the ball. Jacoby's about 5 yards deeper than he's supposed to be. Ball falls incomplete and Matt looks like he underthrew it.

JJ was supposed to be open almost twice as often as Walter and Anderson but he was in the wrong places.

NitroGSXR
10-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Championship!

Sorry, I had to be that guy...again

And this is the first time I'm going... hmmm.... instead of laughing along. Not at Mason himself but the actual trade alone. The Texans made a splash in the FA market and now they trade for a player. They're finally "wheeling and dealing" in the public eye. I like that very much. I hope it continues. I believe we're still a couple moves away.

Kthx
10-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Not sure if this was posted yet but were trading a conditional 7th round pick for him, that makes it even better in my opinion.

srrono
10-12-2011, 12:18 PM
Trade deadline is tuesday any more moves to come? I dont think so.

bckey
10-12-2011, 12:25 PM

Of course Mason was brought in to save their ass. I'm saying they are also hoping he can help JJ while he is here which is also about saving their ass. They just forked out $ on a new contract for JJ. That didn't look to good especially last week.

Kthx
10-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I just don't see how Mason can help JJ learn anything in the next few weeks that AJ hasn't been able to teach him in his 4 and quarter years with him.

Mr teX
10-12-2011, 12:44 PM

Not directed at you specifically, but all those lambasting the FO for letting our WR corps "get" to this point simply have convient amnesia & that crap spreads around here like its the ebola virus when it comes to the texans. 1st of all, on the list of "issues" with this team, it's never been that high for a few reason. first, at least 2 of the previous years under this regime, we had Andre Davis who performed very well for us in AJ's absence as a #1 WR....

& 2, they have tried to address it in the draft with Jacoby who just hasn't panned out & with Dorin Dickerson who we just released.

Furthermore, after the way our defense got lit up last year, I doubt anyone can legitimately dispute that the FO wasn't right in going heavy on defense early & often in the draft & hitting FA hard on the defensive side to land Joseph & Manning. & aside from Boldin, i can't think of any WR of note that would've been anything much better than what we had on the roster already or just got in a trade from the jets...at least without seriously overpaying for them & or giving away picks to acquire. I don't know about you but i'm not a big fan of that unless the picks are 6 & below.

All of the above accounts for at least 4 years of kubiak's regime. The fact of the matter is we addressed this pretty much the same way any organization would've addressed an area lacking depth but wasn't a pressing concern. Lastly, I'd venture to say that most teams who lost their #1 WR (let alone a beast like AJ) would be pretty much in the same boat as us right now.....Those type of guys are #1's b/c they are studs..& studs aren't replaced so easily.