PDA

View Full Version : Glover back to corner?

panamamyers
10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
How is this not the answer to some of our problems?
Put Glover back at corner and stick Nolan in there.

I feel much better with Nolan at safety than I do with Allen or JAckson at corner.

b0ng
10-10-2011, 01:34 PM

I feel much better with Nolan at safety than I do with Allen or JAckson at corner.

I didn't key much on what Troy Nolan was doing, did he have a good game?

VTexan
10-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I somewhat agree. It's hard to watch when all the opposing QB does is go after Allen time and time again. (I swear, there had to been 5 straight passing completions to Allen's man on that TD drive where Bey broke Allen's tackle)

panamamyers
10-10-2011, 01:38 PM
I can't say specifically if Nolan had a great game yesterday, but I can say that Allen or Jackson means a surefire 150 yards of offense for the other team. It's like taking candy from a baby on that side of the field.

To me, you can hide the deficiencies of a safety a lot easier than a corner. It's not as easy to just single out a safety and start picking on him as it is for them to just work Allen a new one out there.

You almost start thinking about how impossible it must be to be a corner in the NFL watching Allen. Then you turn around and watch the Raiders smothering our guys right off the line and staying on top of them like white on rice throughout their routes and you remember that it's just Allen that makes it look so difficult.

b0ng
10-10-2011, 01:41 PM
I can't say specifically if Nolan had a great game yesterday, but I can say that Allen or Jackson means a surefire 150 yards of offense for the other team. It's like taking candy from a baby on that side of the field.

To me, you can hide the deficiencies of a safety a lot easier than a corner. It's not as easy to just single out a safety and start picking on him as it is for them to just work Allen a new one out there.

You almost start thinking about how impossible it must be to be a corner in the NFL watching Allen. Then you turn around and watch the Raiders smothering our guys right off the line and staying on top of them like white on rice throughout their routes and you remember that it's just Allen that makes it look so difficult.

I know that I've seen Troy Nolan play start at safety before and it was not pretty, so excuse me if I'm hesitant to see that again. I was at work during the game yesterday so I've only been able to give the game a cursory glance, but I didn't notice Nolan being bad so he must've had improvements in his game.

TexanScott
10-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm not so sure if the attack on Allen was more of them picking on him, or their reluctance to go towards Joseph. If you watched you can see that they barely even looked at Joseph's side of the field all game. And also in Allen's defense you have to play a cushion on these Raider's receivers because they all have lightning speed. That cushion is what they kept taking advantage of but I'd rather have then get an 8 yard pass once in a while than an 80 yard pass because he is trying to play bump and run and can't keep up.

beerlover
10-10-2011, 01:56 PM
I can replay that 15-20 yard out to the sideline over & over in my head, you know the one(s) where Allen is 10 yards off, running sideways & spinning around to his opposite side like Olympic ice skater guy only to arrive two steps too late :bender:

Norg
10-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Due to allen gettin punked on all the time i wouldnt mind Jackson back in there :kitten: at least he was improving last 4 games of last year

MojoMan
10-10-2011, 02:00 PM
The Texans #1 need going into next year is (still) a corner.

Either they need to use their #1 pick on a corner, or they need to go after another big-time free agent to match up with Jonathan Joseph.

Glover Quinn will remain at safety.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 02:01 PM
I can replay that 15-20 yard out to the sideline over & over in my head, you know the one(s) where Allen is 10 yards off, running sideways & spinning around to his opposite side like Olympic ice skater guy only to arrive two steps too late :bender:

If it makes you feel better, it's probably 3 or 4 different instances.

At least you're not seeing that weak ass tackle that led to the TD.

Safeties were up blitzing, you're it, you know you're it..... you can't under any circumstances miss that tackle.

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 02:06 PM

Either they need to use their #1 pick on a corner, or they need to go after another big-time free agent to match up with Jonathan Joseph.

This. Leave him alone and let him get good at something. Quinn is an ok CB but he could be a very good safety. Don't screw that up.

Norg
10-10-2011, 02:09 PM

At this point i want a 1st rounder beast of a WR

MojoMan
10-10-2011, 02:16 PM

If the Texans are able to land another big-time corner through free agency prior to the draft, then maybe that will happen. If not, then they need to try to address the corner spot through the draft.

Cornerback is the only position on this team that is woefully undermanned. It is a point of vulnerability that has haunted the Texans for several years now and will continue to haunt it until it is adequately addressed.

And Glover Quinn has already been tried at that position and found wanting. His future is at safety, a position which it should be noted is finally staffed adequately for the first time since this teams inception. Glover Quinn already has a job, and it is an important one that the Texans need for him to keep on doing.

badboy
10-10-2011, 02:18 PM

I feel much better with Nolan at safety than I do with Allen or JAckson at corner.I advocated this on a thread a few days ago. Quin is a very good safety and I rooted long for him to move to FS thinking we would have someone to play CB2, but that has not happened. You put Nolan behind Joseph and tell Joesph he remains with WR no matter what. Manning behind Quin and if problem not resolved it should be better than what we have.

CretorFrigg
10-10-2011, 02:22 PM
If the Texans are able to land another big-time corner through free agency prior to the draft, then maybe that will happen. If not, then they need to try to address the corner spot through the draft.

Cornerback is the only position on this team that is woefully undermanned. It is a point of vulnerability that has haunted the Texans for several years now and will continue to haunt it until it is adequately addressed.

And Glover Quinn has already been tried at that position and found wanting. His future is at safety, a position which it should be noted is finally staffed adequately for the first time since this teams inception just here this year. Glover Quinn already has a job, and it is an important one that the Texans need for him to keep on doing.

I know I might get some flack for saying this, but at this point, WR is a bigger need. Right after Andre Johnson went down in the Pittsburgh game, none of our WRs had a catch (maybe 1). Our offense completely shut down.

Same thing yesterday...our offense couldn't really get it done. Our running game was subpar without Andre 'cause they expected us to run it. The only receivers we have outside of Andre are our tight ends.

Defensively, we've been able to hold up fairly well against the other team. Yes, Kareem Jackson or Allen gets picked on A LOT when we play against other teams, but for the most part, the defense has done their part. They've been setting the games up so that the offense has a chance to win. They forced a 3-and-out, so the offense had a chance to win yesterday, but the offense just couldn't deliver.

I'm not denying we need another corner, I just think we're in dire need of another WR rigt now, that's all.

Wolf6151
10-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Moving GQ back to CB in midseason would compromise 2 postions, CB and SS. GQ needs to stay where he's at and as soon as KJ gets healthy he needs to be back out there. KJ was playing much better than he did last year and showing improvement. No he's not perfect but he's improving.

badboy
10-10-2011, 02:33 PM
Moving GQ back to CB in midseason would compromise 2 postions, CB and SS. GQ needs to stay where he's at and as soon as KJ gets healthy he needs to be back out there. KJ was playing much better than he did last year and showing improvement. No he's not perfect but he's improving.Neither is whom I want but straaight up I take Allen over KJ.

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Neither is whom I want but straaight up I take Allen over KJ.

Me too. I'm kind of at the point where I want to see Allen start the rest of the year and get stuck in bump and run coverage every single down. I'd rather see him do that the rest of the year, keeping Joseph on the opponents best receiver than watch Allen die 5-10 yards at a time all day long. He seems best suited to this. Give him help over the top if necessary and let him try to pick a few.

Once Reed gets up to speed in place of Mario the pressure will go back up and I think Joseph & Allen give us the best chance back there.

Allstar
10-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Thread title is misleading. Quin has a good thing going for him, and the staff thinks he can be a probowl safety.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 03:42 PM
I advocated this on a thread a few days ago. Quin is a very good safety and I rooted long for him to move to FS thinking we would have someone to play CB2, but that has not happened. You put Nolan behind Joseph and tell Joesph he remains with WR no matter what. Manning behind Quin and if problem not resolved it should be better than what we have.

Well hell, if we stayed in a Tampa two now with the corners we've got, we'll be ok.

Jason Allen keeps his cushion, so he can play on top of the WR..... no safety help. If we had safeties behind him, he'd have played closer to the line. I don't know if you noticed, but Quin & Manning were playing close to the LOS, either blitzing, run support, or manning up on the TE.

Again, the problem is not the cushion. Watch other games, or watch the defenses that play our offenses.... it's a technique. There is a reason when you play that technique. It's his fear of getting beat deep that gets him in trouble. He turns his hips, the receiver takes the out... if he doesn't turn the receiver runs past him.

Jason played the play correctly one time & forced an incomplete pass.... had he done that on two of the other three attempts, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 03:47 PM
I know I might get some flack for saying this, but at this point, WR is a bigger need. Right after Andre Johnson went down in the Pittsburgh game, none of our WRs had a catch (maybe 1). Our offense completely shut down.

Same thing yesterday...our offense couldn't really get it done. Our running game was subpar without Andre 'cause they expected us to run it. The only receivers we have outside of Andre are our tight ends.

Andre turns 30 soon. We need another WR period.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Neither is whom I want but straaight up I take Allen over KJ.

Even after yesterday's game?

That was Jason Campbell picking on him, not Drew Brees. Flacco is going to have a field day & when Jason Allen misses that Tackle, it's going for 6.

I'm calling it now, not once, but at least twice Flacco will score on Allen & he will not get an INT.

Hasselbeck.. better than Campbell, you got Jason Allen playing too much (as soon as they recognize him) it's over.

Blaine Gabbert.... yeah, I'd let Allen play that whole game & take my chances.

You get a half decent QB & we're in trouble, with either Allen or KJ, but KJ is going to stop the guy, he's going to tackle him..... take him out of the game within 25 yards of the end-zone.... I get that. But between the 20s if I have to play one of those two guys, I want the kid in the game.

DX-TEX
10-10-2011, 04:25 PM
If we are going to put a rokkie in Marios spot then put Harris in at CB2 and see what the kid can do.

silvrhand
10-10-2011, 04:39 PM
Well hell, if we stayed in a Tampa two now with the corners we've got, we'll be ok.

Jason Allen keeps his cushion, so he can play on top of the WR..... no safety help. If we had safeties behind him, he'd have played closer to the line. I don't know if you noticed, but Quin & Manning were playing close to the LOS, either blitzing, run support, or manning up on the TE.

Again, the problem is not the cushion. Watch other games, or watch the defenses that play our offenses.... it's a technique. There is a reason when you play that technique. It's his fear of getting beat deep that gets him in trouble. He turns his hips, the receiver takes the out... if he doesn't turn the receiver runs past him.

Jason played the play correctly one time & forced an incomplete pass.... had he done that on two of the other three attempts, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Sick of this argument, simply roll the )(*@$)(*@ safety over the top of the weaker corner and press the receiver like every other team does. Roll the coverage and put your stronger corner on the island..

badboy
10-10-2011, 04:41 PM
If we are going to put a rokkie in Marios spot then put Harris in at CB2 and see what the kid can do.WHile I agree on playing Harris, OLB and DE (Watt) easier for rookie to pick up than corner.

thunderkyss
10-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Sick of this argument, simply roll the )(*@$)(*@ safety over the top of the weaker corner and press the receiver like every other team does. Roll the coverage and put your stronger corner on the island..

That's what I said.

If we're going to play that way.. we don't need to change up our corners.

Problem is we don't.... We want our safeties to stop the run, cover LBs & RBs in the passing game, & rush the passer. Can't be baby sitters out there.

bckey
10-11-2011, 01:32 AM

Do the Texans still have the same scouts that recommended Jackson? I remember Vinny posted a few years back that their head of scouting was a big problem.

SteveSlaton20
10-11-2011, 06:22 AM

this. Justin Blackmon. Or a big NT.

HJam72
10-11-2011, 08:27 AM
That's what I said.

If we're going to play that way.. we don't need to change up our corners.

Problem is we don't.... We want our safeties to stop the run, cover LBs & RBs in the passing game, & rush the passer. Can't be baby sitters out there.

Let Manning do that and have Quinn babysit Allen....or KJ, whichever one is willing to actually bump the receiver at the line and stay close; Quinn can worry about the deep ball. You back off the receiver, you sit on the bench.

thunderkyss
10-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Let Manning do that and have Quinn babysit Allen....or KJ, whichever one is willing to actually bump the receiver at the line and stay close; Quinn can worry about the deep ball. You back off the receiver, you sit on the bench.

& I'm fine with that as well. I don't have a problem with that at all.

What I am saying, is if we are going to do that, then we don't need other corners, the guys we have is fine.

We want better corners, because no one is going to dedicate a player to baby sit another player (who's position makes more money anyway).

So if we're going to let our safeties play like safeties are supposed to play, manning up on TEs & RBs..... we need better corners.

CloakNNNdagger
10-11-2011, 11:05 AM
This. Leave him alone and let him get good at something. Quinn is an ok CB but he could be a very good safety. Don't screw that up.

^^^This! And if we go after a CB next year, it needs to be by trade or in FA...........We need to go after PROVEN EXPERIENCE (just like we did with JoJo and Manning).........not another potential Las Vegas pick or project.

utahmark
10-11-2011, 11:07 AM

When was he ever that close?

beerlover
10-11-2011, 11:28 AM
When was he ever that close?

after the catch has been made.

weird thing to me is both Glover & Allen are safeties. Quin has been moved & thrived I see no reason to move him from his natural NFL position because two first round CB picks get beaten on a regular basis. Heck, McCain is better in coverage, look at film he plays much tighter man to man, his problem is he gets overpowered by bigger WR's. Quicker safety reaction over the top would shrink these passing windows & believe Joseph can live on an island. Also believe Kareem is a physical, nickle so let him flourish in this role to elevate his confidence. :deadhorse

TexanAggie89
10-11-2011, 12:08 PM
Justin Blackmon, Alshon Jeffrey, OR Tyronn Mathieu.. /thread

TimeKiller
10-11-2011, 12:20 PM
No. Glover is a pro-bowl safety in the making. He slides down on nickel anyway, when Nolan sees action. This is probably the worst thing that they could do besides letting Dom Barber continue to play for the team.

Jason Allen is the 11th best player on the D. He is what he is. The ball has to go somewhere and if it's Joseph, Quin and Manning as the other options? Allen will at least make the QB pay for mistakes. When the QB has all day to throw (like Campbell got after Mario went out) it doesn't matter if we have an all HOF secondary.

The defense played really well. Only that team gets 4 FGs where they were getting stopped.

panamamyers
10-11-2011, 01:59 PM
All day, Schmall day
Allen's guy is open from the moment the ball is snapped until whenever the qb decides to get it to him.
No amount of pressure is going to help Allen with the way he plays the receivers.

TimeKiller
10-11-2011, 03:28 PM
All day, Schmall day
Allen's guy is open from the moment the ball is snapped until whenever the qb decides to get it to him.
No amount of pressure is going to help Allen with the way he plays the receivers.

Bullshit. You think the Raiders have better corners than the Texans? I highly doubt it. They rushed Schaub with great efficiency and it affected the whole offense. Why do you think pass rushers/protectors are drafted higher and more often than other positions? Probably because it doesn't matter how much pressure they put on QB's, right?

:toropalm:

He's the 11th best player on the field and they left him with no help after getting several completions on his side. Wade being aggressive? Or forgetting who he's playing with?

Oh and your boy, Quin, was the one who let a receiver go WIDE OPEN 5 yards away from the end zone while the QB still had the ball. So quit acting like he's Deion's protege.