PDA

View Full Version : After 5 games, your expectations have

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Gone up, gone down, stayed the same?

I'm still pissed, but I saw a team that beat themselves out of a game. Disrespect & everything to the Raiders. They were who we thought they were.

The defense continues to impress me (we have got to do something about that CB#2)...

Offense still baffles me.

It's all about getting hot at the right time. I'm still thinking we make the play-offs, just have no idea how we're going to do it.

Everything I thought I knew... I don't.

What say you?

Grams
10-10-2011, 09:54 AM
We always seem to find a way to shoot ourselves in the foot.

The Raiders tried hard to hand that game to us yesterday and we tried harder to not take the W from them.

I am still in the show me first mode.

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Gone down because Andre Johnson will still miss a couple more games, our incredible RB depth is destroyed for some reason or another, and oh yeah, Mario Williams and James Casey are out for the freakin' year.

It's possible to make the playoffs, but it's not going to be because we're a very great team or anything. It'll be by virtue of being in a bad division and having a softer schedule after Baltimore.

RTP2110
10-10-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm still in wait and see mode. We won a game that before the season most of us figured we would lose (PIT). We lost a game most figured we would win (OAK). I think 3-2 was the most likely record after 5 games for us. I just wonder how we'd all feel if we lost to the Steelers and beat Oakland.

That being said, injuries have me reeeeeally uneasy.

gtexan02
10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
The funny thing to me is that I anticipated us being 3-2 at this point in the season with losses to the Saints and the Steelers.

But the way we lost to Oakland has me thinking we're not nearly as good as we thought we were.

Plus the injuries to AJ, Mario, and everyone else

DexmanC
10-10-2011, 10:03 AM
I would've checked option:
"Remained the same - Meh"

I'm still waiting on something different from the previous 5 seasons
to happen. This team still finds flashy ways to lose those
"next step" games. Today would've put them 3 games over .500

They'd have to win AT Baltimore AND AT Tennessee to impress me
at this point in the season.

PS:
We're gonna see how good this defense is without Mario Williams
to gameplan for.

DexmanC
10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
The funny thing to me is that I anticipated us being 3-2 at this point in the season with losses to the Saints and the Steelers.

But the way we lost to Oakland has me thinking we're not nearly as good as we thought we were.

If any of these injuries are being listed on this board, to justify
Kubiak getting another contract should this trend continue through
YEAR SIX, I got two words for ya:

Detroit Lions

Double Barrel
10-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately, after yesterday's lackluster play, I think our fifth annual 5-7 mark is still achievable.

If they make the playoffs, it'll be because the AFC South sucks, not because the Texans dominate and earned it. Sadly, backing into the playoffs will be cause for another Kubiak extension.

beerlover
10-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Unfortunately, after yesterday's lackluster play, I think our fifth annual 5-7 mark is still achievable.

If they make the playoffs, it'll be because the AFC South sucks, not because the Texans dominate and earned it. Sadly, backing into the playoffs will be cause for another Kubiak extension.

unfortunate but true :rake:

Khari
10-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Decreased...injuries and we should have won that game yesterday..:rake:

cdollaz
10-10-2011, 10:34 AM
I still expect them to back into the playoffs because we are playing an easy schedule, relative to other possible contenders, and are probably the best team in a really weak division. That said, I really don't consider us anything more than a little above average team at this point. Hopefully they improve over the year, but there is ZERO excuse for losing that game yesterday against that level of team, at home, against that QB. Pathetic.

SheTexan
10-10-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm stayin the same. I predicted a 10-6 season and I'm stickin with it. Injuries hurt, BUT, if we are a playoff bound team, the rooks etc will have to step it up and do their part to get us there. Football is a team sport and the stronger guys have got to help out the weaker one's, and the newbies need to get on the fast track PRONTO!!. They better pay attention or our year is over before we get to the middle.

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Well, that's where we disagree. I don't give a **** if we "back in", as long as we're in.

The Jets backed in two years in a row by lucking the hell out and they're slobbered on by absolutely everybody as the next greatest team of all-time.

We're not in the position to care about style points or making the playoffs "because we earned it".

robroy72
10-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I actually thought we'd be 3-2 after 5... I thought the Steelers / Raiders results would have been switched. My main confidence came from a feeling we could have a 100% divisional record this year.

Colts W
Raiders W
Miami W

Steelers L
Saints L

Sorry if theres too much common sense and lack of emotion for a Monday after a loss like that!

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Decreased a few games and we will make the playoffs, that is not an option (our division is so God-awful...).

EVOLVIST
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I would've checked option:
"Remained the same - Meh"

I'm still waiting on something different from the previous 5 seasons
to happen. This team still finds flashy ways to lose those
"next step" games. Today would've put them 3 games over .500

They'd have to win AT Baltimore AND AT Tennessee to impress me
at this point in the season.

PS:
We're gonna see how good this defense is without Mario Williams
to gameplan for.

And the poor man's Clay Matthews is actually the poor man's AJ Hawk. Brooks Reed has showed squat so far.

Yes, the Texans would have to show some True Grit in the next couple of games for the team, the fans, and every lepton and neutrino in the universe to feel good about them.

No, I don't feel the same about the Texans as I did before the start of the season. I don't know what I feel - but it's not the same.

TexanBacker93
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM
Regardless of everything else I still think they back into the playoffs. The Titans won't continue at that level and I think we actually have a good chance to go 5-1 or even 6-0 in the division. With games against Cleveland and Carolina at home and a road games against Cincinnati and Tampa this team should still get to 10 wins.

I actually had us going 4-1 through 5 and then losing at Baltimore. The team now has to go out and win one on the road to make up for a game they shouldn't have lost. This is taking nothing away from the Raiders. That's a good team and might have a chance in the weak AFC west. The Texans were the top seed in the AFC going into the week. They weren't going to run the table and finish that way, but I want to see this team do more than just get in the playoffs. Getting a bye in the first round can get your banged up players some rest and depending on how the other AFC divisional game goes you could find yourself with 2 home playoff games. That's much harder when you get in as a divisional winner with a worse record than wild card teams.

The injuries shouldn't matter. If your team is good enough you can overcome them. The Pats went 10-6 the season they lost Brady for the year. They didn't make the playoffs, but most years that would be good enough.

Teams lose games they shouldn't lose. It happens all the time. The good teams bounce back and win the next few games. This week will determine how good the Texans are. I think they still have a losing mindset and it comes from playing for a loser coach. The talent is there to win. Now they have to prove they can do it.

Just win baby.

robroy72
10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
And the poor man's Clay Matthews is actually the poor man's AJ Hawk. Brooks Reed has showed squat so far.

He was interviewed on the TV last night; he doesn't come over as having a great deal of confidence. I'm hoping that he'll grow in that regard as he comes more into the team, he seems to have all the attributes.

hradhak
10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
We'll make the playoffs but our chances of going anywhere with the injuries we have just makes me think we'll be 9-7 in a weak division.

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 10:56 AM

Yup - I would rather not make it in than get in and get embarassed. But, maybe we can pull aSeattle?

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Yup - I would rather not make it in than get in and get embarassed. But, maybe we can pull aSeattle?

We're spoiled fans, for some reason.

You'd rather not make it in the playoffs?

Let me guess. People say "I'd rather not make it than lose the way we will." are the first who will be bitching and moaning up and down the board and everywhere else their spoiled voices can spout their nonsense that we didn't make the playoffs and that it's the "same old ****" and other garbage.

You can't win if you're not in. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there.

If we make the playoffs without Mario, without Andre for a chunk, without a healthy Tate and Ward, and without James Casey (and God knows the injuries to come)...it will be impressive even if it's the NFC freakin' WEST.

Like I said in another thread....the Jets backed into the playoffs two years in a ROW and everyone gives them ******** at every turn.

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 11:19 AM

You'd rather not make it in the playoffs?

Let me guess. People say "I'd rather not make it than lose the way we will." are the first who will be bitching and moaning up and down the board and everywhere else their spoiled voices can spout their nonsense that we didn't make the playoffs and that it's the "same old ****" and other garbage.

You can't win if you're not in. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there.

If we make the playoffs without Mario, without Andre for a chunk, without a healthy Tate and Ward, and without James Casey (and God knows the injuries to come)...it will be impressive even if it's the NFC freakin' WEST.

Like I said in another thread....the Jets backed into the playoffs two years in a ROW and everyone gives them ******** at every turn.

So right now would you sign up for an 8-8 season, making the playoffs and losing our first game say 45-20?

I didn't say we WOULD get embarassed, but I did say if we are going to get embarassed I'd rather not go.

TexansBlood
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Looks like it's gonna come down to Titans and Texans and who ever wants it more.

The last game of the season is looking to be very important right now.

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 11:34 AM
So right now would you sign up for an 8-8 season, making the playoffs and losing our first game say 45-20?

I didn't say we WOULD get embarassed, but I did say if we are going to get embarassed I'd rather not go.

If we go 8-8, we're not making the playoffs. Even in a weak division.

But yeah, I'd rather be in the playoffs than hear about how everyone failed and how this is just the same ol team and this and that.

Of course the inexplicably spoiled fans will say that type of thing anyway, so whatever happens happens I guess.

Thorn
10-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I see nothing but another year of dissappointment ahead of us. I'll continue to hope and watch all the games, but at this point I just see to many things stacked against this team for them to win much this year.

Kubiak as head coach, and all the injuries does not look good right now.

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 11:44 AM
If we go 8-8, we're not making the playoffs. Even in a weak division.

We'll see :)

And if my secnario would unfold Kubiak would probably get another extension.....

Runner
10-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Teams lose games they shouldn't lose. It happens all the time. The good teams bounce back and win the next few games. This week will determine how good the Texans are...

Just win baby.

The problem is the Texans do the opposite. They win a big game then give one back by losing one they should win.

On the right track.

HOU-TEX
10-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Considering we will soon be 3-3, I consider that right on par with this organization.

Double Barrel
10-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Well, that's where we disagree. I don't give a **** if we "back in", as long as we're in.

The Jets backed in two years in a row by lucking the hell out and they're slobbered on by absolutely everybody as the next greatest team of all-time.

We're not in the position to care about style points or making the playoffs "because we earned it".

The goal is a championship. You appear to be suggesting a lowering of standards and just be be satisfied with a playoff berth.

The difference between teams that earn playoff spots and ones that back into the playoffs are tremendous. One wins championships, the other celebrates mediocrity.

I was hoping the Texans would be the former, but I suppose it's "good enough" to just settle for the latter.

You win, chief. :ok:

I think the term "everyone" is a bit of hyperbole. I know quite a few people that are not, and have never been, on the Jets bandwagon.

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Defense remains on the "arc" most of us seem to have expected. Getting better by the week and I think that even with Mario gone we'll see Reed catch up with the rest of them in a month or so. On that side of the ball we'll see the team compensate for the loss and remain effective.

Enough talent has been drafted and signed for Wade to overcome the loss of Mario. We were on the way to being even better but it will still be good enough to end the year in the top half of the league.

The offense is going to keep us around .500 though no matter what the defense does. By the halfway point everyone will be looking at the offense and saying "WTF man?" AJ will return and be great, Foster will run and be great. Poor execution will continue at the most inopportune times and the good teams will continue to make our OL look pathetic in between weeks that they look dominant.

There's something missing with them. Many of those late season cream-puffs are better than they looked when the schedule came out. I think we're headed for another 8-8 season. My only concern if that happens is how in the hell do we get rid of Gary without accidentally stepping in a pile of Wade. Once you lose Gary and hire Wade you more or less lose Wade too because his defense gets handed to someone else and then the countdown to Wade losing the entire team begins.

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
The goal is a championship. You appear to be suggesting a lowering of standards and just be be satisfied with a playoff berth.

The difference between teams that earn playoff spots and ones that back into the playoffs are tremendous. One wins championships, the other celebrates mediocrity.

I was hoping the Texans would be the former, but I suppose it's "good enough" to just settle for the latter.

You win, chief. :ok:

I think the term "everyone" is a bit of hyperbole. I know quite a few people that are not, and have never been, on the Jets bandwagon.

We're not in a position to expect nothing less than a championship right now. Any Texans fan who expects a championship RIGHT NOW is straight up ****ing delusional.

We've never made it to the playoffs. That's the fault of ownership, coaching, management, players, injuries, other teams laying down for other teams, luck, or whatever. But we haven't made it to the playoffs.

For the Houston Texans, making it to the playoffs is a win. It's a huge step. And it's not "accepting mediority". It's realizing that only 12 teams a year make the playoffs, and that we haven't made them in our short existence, and that it's an important step forward in achieving the ultimate goal.

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 12:38 PM

And just think about this as well DB. You can already see us in a Wildcard game that's real close the whole way, but ends up being some epic fail like yesterday and so many others. But the headline from Bob and a lot of fans will be what a great entertaining and close game it was and how far the Texans have grown. A lot of fans will eat that up, and Gary will be introduced as the savior of Houston for turning this franchise into a playoff team. I've already accepted that he is most likely going to get that extension after this season.

Double Barrel
10-10-2011, 12:41 PM
We're not in a position to expect nothing less than a championship right now. Any Texans fan who expects a championship RIGHT NOW is straight up ****ing delusional.

We've never made it to the playoffs. That's the fault of ownership, coaching, management, players, injuries, other teams laying down for other teams, luck, or whatever. But we haven't made it to the playoffs.

For the Houston Texans, making it to the playoffs is a win. It's a huge step. And it's not "accepting mediority". It's realizing that only 12 teams a year make the playoffs, and that we haven't made them in our short existence, and that it's an important step forward in achieving the ultimate goal.

The point is that a game like yesterday reveals the nature of this team. Making it to the playoffs is honestly the best that you can hope for from them, because they will wilt under playoff pressure against teams that earned their spots during the regular season.

If backing into the playoffs is good enough for you, then no need to feel defensive or insulted by it. Embrace it.

And I said you win, man. We will celebrate making the playoffs one day and together we will tell everyone to STFU when they complain that we got blown out in the first round.

:texflag:

HTown2ATX
10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
We'll see :)

And if my secnario would unfold Kubiak would probably get another extension.....

Bank on it. :rake:

I want to get to the playoffs just as bad as anyone else who is a fan of this team. Doesn't mean I'm gonna throw the glue gun around in joy just because we got there and then got **** on.

Also, plenty of people have not believe in the Jets, me included. Never thought they were all that....just had a couple good runs until proven otherwise.

Double Barrel
And just think about this as well DB. You can already see us in a Wildcard game that's real close the whole way, but ends up being some epic fail like yesterday and so many others. But the headline from Bob and a lot of fans will be what a great entertaining and close game it was and how far the Texans have grown. A lot of fans will eat that up, and Gary will be introduced as the savior of Houston for turning this franchise into a playoff team. I've already accepted that he is most likely going to get that extension after this season.

I can envision it, man. Parades, ticker tape, specialty printed t-shirts, the works!

We will be the greatest Wildcard Dynasty in the history of Wildc....oh, snap, there ain't no Wildcard Dynasties?...well then, we'll be the first! And not because we went to consecutive wildcard games, but because we made it to ONE!

Man, I'm like tingling with excitement just typing these words. Hopefully the Titans can continue to falter a little under a first year head coach, and Manning stays out for the rest of the year, and the Jags, well they're the Jags, because it's obvious with all that stuff that THIS IS OUR YEAR!

:texflag::clown::texflag::koolaid::texflag:

Texecutioner

Houston fans are spoiled fans?? In what universe are you living to suggest that Houston fans are spoiled fans?? Maybe out there in Hollywood where you're at you don't get any real consensus of what the fans go through out here, but to suggest that us Houston fans are spoiled in any sense is just down right crazy. We've been eating crap from our teams for years. The Rockets won their two rings 15 years ago and that's all we've ever gotten or seen and we've had one playoff win with the Rockets since Stockton buzzer beatered us. The Astros had their one WS birth where they got swept, and other than that, they've been an average franchise for like 40 years. The Oilers gave us all cases of heartache and depression after a 32 point embarrassment to the Bills, while the Texans have probably taken a few years off of our lives with the last 9 years. Calling Houston fans spoiled is crazy talk.

You may want to go check your facts here, because the Jets didn't back into any playoffs last season. They were one of the best teams in the AFC all season long last year and went like 11-5 or 12-4 with that huge loss to the Pats who went 14-2 last season. They avenged that loss in the playoffs and over achieved once again, so what they did or didn't do in the season really doesn't matter when they have the post season success they have. They didn't back into the playoffs though.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 12:51 PM

With that in mind then it absolutely matters how we get in. If we earned it, that says something about this team. If we back in, what's the point? We're still the same crappy team.

If we back in like the Jets did & get to the AFC Championship.... that's different, I'll take that.

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 12:52 PM
That's what I'm saying. They're acting spoiled "for some reason" because they expect the most ridiculous things. The Texans haven't given any reason for anyone to expect that we're a championship team now, that we should beat any opponent handily, etc. Saying we'd rather not make the playoffs than make it and get rocked. Who the **** are we to say that?

The Jets very truly did back in last year. Look at some of the wins they had. They had like 4 wins where they straight up lucked out for one reason or another. Against Denver, against Cleveland, against Detroit right off the top of my head. Can't remember the other two or three right now. That's backing in to me. Not the same "backing in" as losing your last 3 games or something, but moreso "lucking in" I guess.

ziggy29
10-10-2011, 12:52 PM
I agree that I'd consider it a "successful season" to finally get the monkey off the back and just make the playoffs, even with a first-round loss. It's embarrassing to be the "only team in the NFL to never make the playoffs." (Obviously, winning some would be better, but just *sniffing* the playoffs is an improvement over anything we've felt with this team in the past.)

But the thing is, this team has (I think) enough talent to win 10 or 11 games. That's just enough to almost assure a playoff spot if you win the games you should have won. Sometimes you just don't have it and aren't competitive, and some games you may play well but the other team was simply better. That's life in the NFL. Those are losses where you can move on and say "we flat out stunk and deserved to lose" or you just tip your cap to the opponent for clearly being the better team on that Sunday.

It's not just about losing but *how* they are losing, and it feels like they aren't improving too much in that regard. It's about a team that can't seem to learn how to consistently win games they should be winning.

But this isn't a team that's good enough YET to keep losing games they should be winning AND still make the playoffs, especially not with AJ out and Mario gone for the season. That makes it even *more* important to win the games you should be winning -- that loss of talent reduces the margin for error. The Saints are the Saints -- they're just that good and have an elite QB so it could have been as much the Saints rising to the occasion as the Texans faltering. But this game? No, this game should have been won, clearly, but for the usual finding ways to lose.

This team is better but still not good enough to overcome too many "find ways to lose" games and still make the playoffs. Especially not now, with the injury situation.

Norg
10-10-2011, 12:53 PM
well obvs they have gone down due to injuries ...... :toropalm:

HTown2ATX
10-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I can envision it, man. Parades, ticker tape, specialty printed t-shirts, the works!

We will be the greatest Wildcard Dynasty in the history of Wildc....oh, snap, there ain't no Wildcard Dynasties?...well then, we'll be the first! And not because we went to consecutive wildcard games, but because we made it to ONE!

Man, I'm like tingling with excitement just typing these words. Hopefully the Titans can continue to falter a little under a first year head coach, and Manning stays out for the rest of the year, and the Jags, well they're the Jags, because it's obvious with all that stuff that THIS IS OUR YEAR!

:texflag::clown::texflag::koolaid::texflag:

LMAO

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__ykb2FvxfgI/SJ0er6kEQ7I/AAAAAAAABfo/-e_LEelTcQs/s400/carebear.jpg

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 12:56 PM
That's what I'm saying. They're acting spoiled "for some reason" because they expect the most ridiculous things. The Texans haven't given any reason for anyone to expect that we're a championship team now, that we should beat any opponent handily, etc. Saying we'd rather not make the playoffs than make it and get rocked. Who the **** are we to say that?

The Jets very truly did back in last year. Look at some of the wins they had. They had like 4 wins where they straight up lucked out for one reason or another. Against Denver, against Cleveland, against Detroit right off the top of my head. Can't remember the other two or three right now. That's backing in to me. Not the same "backing in" as losing your last 3 games or something, but moreso "lucking in" I guess.

I think you're confusing the word "spoiled" with "delusional" in your post, because in no way shape or form in any universe have Houston sports fans ever been spoiled or ever had the chance of being spoiled. Hell I'd LOVE to be a spoiled sports fan.

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 12:57 PM
I think you're confusing the word "spoiled" with delusional in your post, because in no way shape or form in any universe have Houston sports fans ever been spoiled or ever had the chance of being spoiled. Hell I'd LOVE to be a spoiled sports fan.

Maybe so.

Double Barrel
10-10-2011, 12:58 PM
With that in mind then it absolutely matters how we get in. If we earned it, that says something about this team. If we back in, what's the point? We're still the same crappy team.

If we back in like the Jets did & get to the AFC Championship.... that's different, I'll take that.

Agree completely. Many Texans fans are jumping into blind faith territory and hoping this year's team is better than previous versions. We collectively can't wait to have a consistently good team.

But a game like yesterday is akin to Einstein's insanity. It brings up that feeling in your core that this is the same old team, just a different year. How they can beat a Steelers team one week by playing inspired and making big plays, but then display a lackluster and very uninspired game the next week is something that makes fans lose that blind faith and become much more pragmatic about things.

I'll be happy as anyone to finally make the playoffs. But if they can't earn it by securing the division title on the field, and instead have it fall into their laps because other teams are losing, I'm just not going to have the same feeling in both scenarios.

Why that concept seems incomprehensible to some folks is beyond me.

DexmanC
10-10-2011, 12:59 PM

Is Kubiak synonymous with "Houston Texans?"

It sure seems to be the case with a large portion of this fanbase.

What team would tolerate two or three consecutive 5-7 starts, let
alone FOUR?? With the Texans' loss to Raiders, they've proven NONE
of the teams on their schedule are "creampuffs."

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 01:00 PM
The single biggest payoff to the Texans backing into the playoffs* would be the fact that nobody would be able to say that the Texans had never been to the playoffs. Even if we were crushed out of existence in the first round and the NFL had to give us a second expansion draft just so we could field a team the next year it would at least put a stop to the yearly drone we hear about the team never having been to the playoffs. I mean, how often do you hear about the Texans winning two in a row now? The answer is "never" because that monkey is long gone. Now it's the "win three in a row" monkey on our back but even bigger is the never made it to the playoffs monkey. That's one gorilla I'd be glad to see gone.

*For whatever reason, Titans win the division and their plane goes down on the way home from Houston and we back in by default as runner-up. Whatever. I don't even care.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 01:04 PM
There are going to be 11 other teams that will make the playoffs this year without Mario Williams and one is guaranteed to win the SB. This is why you have depth and I still like our athleticism at our OLBer position. I trust that with Phillips' system, we'll still be able to get production out of that position. People need to calm down and step away from the ledge.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
With the Texans' loss to Raiders, they've proven NONE
of the teams on their schedule are "creampuffs."

That's it for me.... nail on the head. & it's not just "creampuffs" but the winnable games are in question, that includes the Titans, Jags, & Colts. Yes, Colts. They looked like a better team to me the last two weekends than the Raiders.

ziggy29
10-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Is Kubiak synonymous with "Houston Texans?"

It sure seems to be the case with a large portion of this fanbase.

When the Texans lose winnable games because of the usual lack of killer instinct and poor second half play (after being the better first half team) -- allowing the opponent to come back and steal a win -- yes, they are pretty synonymous because I think these kick-in-the-gut ways to lose come largely from coaching when it's this consistent year after year.

DexmanC
10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
There are going to be 11 other teams that will make the playoffs this year without Mario Williams and one is guaranteed to win the SB. This is why you have depth and I still like our athleticism at our OLBer position. I trust that with Phillips' system, we'll still be able to get production out of that position. People need to calm down and step away from the ledge.

Wade Phillips' defense performing well will not guarantee victory for this team.

Joe Marciano's special teams unit will not guarantee victory for this team.

Gary Kubiak's offense well will not guarantee victory for this team.

Gary Kubiak's ability to bring those three units together, cohesively,
focused, for four quarters, as THE HEAD COACH, are closer to a guarantee
for victory than anything else.

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Doesn't mean I'm gonna throw the glue gun around in joy just because we got there and then got **** on.

Not entirely sure what that means, but it made me luagh!

HTown2ATX
10-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Not entirely sure what that means, but it made me luagh!

LMAO

Substitute "glue gun" for a shake weight and let your mind run wild image wise haha.

DexmanC
10-10-2011, 01:32 PM
LMAO

Substitute "glue gun" for a shake weight and let your mind run wild image wise haha.

Oh....

You mean like causing the death of a chicken due to asphyxiation?

HTown2ATX
10-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Oh....

You mean like causing the death of a chicken due to asphyxiation?

Not to be technical or anything ;)

TexanBacker93
10-10-2011, 04:09 PM
The single biggest payoff to the Texans backing into the playoffs* would be the fact that nobody would be able to say that the Texans had never been to the playoffs. Even if we were crushed out of existence in the first round and the NFL had to give us a second expansion draft just so we could field a team the next year it would at least put a stop to the yearly drone we hear about the team never having been to the playoffs. I mean, how often do you hear about the Texans winning two in a row now? The answer is "never" because that monkey is long gone. Now it's the "win three in a row" monkey on our back but even bigger is the never made it to the playoffs monkey. That's one gorilla I'd be glad to see gone.

*For whatever reason, Titans win the division and their plane goes down on the way home from Houston and we back in by default as runner-up. Whatever. I don't even care.

We actually have won 3 in a row. We've done 4 twice. Just hasn't happened when it needed to happen.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Wade Phillips' defense performing well will not guarantee victory for this team.

Joe Marciano's special teams unit will not guarantee victory for this team.

Gary Kubiak's offense well will not guarantee victory for this team.

Gary Kubiak's ability to bring those three units together, cohesively,
focused, for four quarters, as THE HEAD COACH, are closer to a guarantee
for victory than anything else.

Biggest flaw in that argument is that none of the teams that beat us have been able to do it either, Not the Saints & not the Raiders........

So that can't be it.

Texan_Bill
10-11-2011, 08:06 AM
Dropped slightly.... Not because of the record (I had us 3-3 to 4-2 in the first six, anyway) but because of the mounting injuries. :kitten:

HJam72
10-11-2011, 08:17 AM

The only difference is injuries. The Steelers lost to us because their O-Line was decimated and we lost to Oakland at least in part to AJ being out. It's really all the same to us.

chicagotexan2
10-11-2011, 08:18 AM
I think we'll make the playoffs. Not because I think we are a good team, but mostly because the rest f the division is worse than us. TN is hanging in there, but I think they'll fall off. Having said that, The Texans have proven that if any team can plummet it's them. Before I thought that the team would make the playoffs and possilbly win a game or two. Now I think we'l make the playoffs and make an even quicker exit.

Vinny
10-11-2011, 09:11 AM
a good team would have beat the Raiders on Sunday, and this team did what it does best...produce big fluffy stats. I'm much more pessimistic than I was the weeks before. Earlier I gave Kubiak the benefit of the doubt, but the Raider game was a scary peek into the mediocre past of Kubiak coached teams. Backing into the playoffs due to a weakass division and going one and done in the playoffs will make the Franchise giddy like a new schoolgirl....but it's not gonna do much for me. I am hoping this team is good enough to really, honestly compete in the post season. I'm not sure they will get over that hump with Kubiak. I haven't been a big fan of his coaching for a while though. Nice coordinator though.