PDA

View Full Version : So would Schaub have scored if he had run?

TexansFanatic
10-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Or would he have been crushed?

For a split second I yelled RUN!!! but then I saw the Raider safety closing in on him.

Did Schaub blow the game by not running a measly five yards?

brakos82
10-09-2011, 06:46 PM

For a split second I yelled RUN!!! but then I saw the Raider safety closing in on him.

I thought he was gonna run... good thing he didn't. Might be 3 key players down if he did. :pirate:

Norg
10-09-2011, 06:47 PM
i seen the DT running toward him and the DB running for him but the DT had his back 2 him i think if he ran to the right on a slant and make the DT miss maybe if he ran and leaped with his arms streched out or ran with his head down maybe

But he decided to throw to JJ instead thats a head sctracher to me i thought Matt was smarter then that

But its whatever now

dtran04
10-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Huff would have tackled him.

What's clear is Schaub and Jacoby have no connection. Matt rolled to the left and Jacoby was running away from him to the right.

Norg
10-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Huff would have tackled him.

What's clear is Schaub and Jacoby have no connection. Matt rolled to the left and Jacoby was running away from him to the right.

I know right I dont know why Matt Trusted JJ i hope they Bench JJ

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 06:50 PM
It looked like he had a good shot at getting in there, but it also looked like their defenders might have stopped him. It would have been very close.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.........Time to move on to next week.

brakos82
10-09-2011, 06:51 PM
It looked like he had a good shot at getting in there, but it also looked like their defenders might have stopped him. It would have been very close.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.........Time to move on to next week.

Oh boy, on the road against Balty. :toropalm:

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 06:52 PM
all he had to do was put a lil juke and spin move on him :kingkong:

4Texans
10-09-2011, 06:52 PM
I was at the game and thoguht he should have ran it in..... But after seeing the replays after I got home, I don't think he would have made it.

It doesn't matter now anyway. Tuff lose for sure....:rake:

TexansFanatic
10-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Vince Young would have scored there.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt340/hookemfanatic/retard.gif

nero THE zero
10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Schaub got run down by Tommy Kelly. I have zero confidence he would have made it to the end zone. Dude makes the statue of David look like Mike Vick.

badboy
10-09-2011, 06:57 PM
He hesitated too long and should have thrown it away when the play blew up. We could have had one more play.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 06:58 PM

:toropalm:

gwallaia
10-09-2011, 07:07 PM
He should have run and dived into the endzone.

Schaub is a loser.

He had the run easy.

What an ***** Schaub is.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Schaub is a loser.

He had the run easy.

What an ***** Schaub is.

being that slow i doubt any run is easy.

TexCanada
10-09-2011, 07:11 PM
No one knows if he makes it or not. However, he had a better chance of scoring if he had run it, rather then just throw it to the opposition. A stiff arm and a dive MAY have gotten most QBs 6 points, but Schuab is incredibly weak when it comes to running or just moving in general.

gwallaia
10-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Schaub has made this the worst Hispanic Heritage Day ever.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 07:12 PM

If only we had VY. :pirate:

brakos82
10-09-2011, 07:16 PM
If only we had VY. :pirate:

Dream Team Baby!!!! :kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Schaub is a loser.

He had the run easy.

What an ***** Schaub is.

If he had not hesitated, he could have very well made it in.............If he had not hesitated, he could have very well thrown it away and had another play.

As he DID hesitate, he threw away any chance of a TD.

Scooter
10-09-2011, 07:25 PM
the only defender with a chance was at a poor angle. schaub would've gotten hit, but he would've scored.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
the only defender with a chance was at a poor angle. schaub would've gotten hit, but he would've scored.

possibly, i would re watch it to see, but i csant bear reliving that ywice in 1 day

Cerberus
10-09-2011, 07:30 PM
I was at the game and thoguht he should have ran it in..... But after seeing the replays after I got home, I don't think he would have made it.

No, he wouldn't have made it. I was sitting in the second row of seats right in front of the play, so I can tell you that Tyvon Branch would have stopped him which is what made Schaub throw it.

Scooter
10-09-2011, 07:36 PM
possibly, i would re watch it to see, but i cant bear reliving that twice in 1 day

there were 3 noticable defenders. huff on jacoby outside, a defender about 4 yards to schaub's left and 2-3 yards in the endzone (the one that would hit schaub), and a defender trailing a receiver coming across schaub who was shielded and couldnt make the play.

the threatening defender would've hit schaub at the 1(ish) if schaub angled away from him, and the trailer would've had to make a super move to get schaub at the goalline (no chance if our receiver blocks). either way, momentum and angle would've put schaub into the endzone.

Scooter
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
No, he wouldn't have made it. I was sitting in the second row of seats right in front of the play, so I can tell you that Tyvon Branch would have stopped him which is what made Schaub throw it.

maybe it was the view on tv, but branch(?) didnt look like he had an angle to stop schaub. hit him, certainly, but not in a way to keep him out.

Maddict5
10-09-2011, 07:40 PM
its been fun reading this... mentally ticking anybody who thinks he shouldve run & wouldve made it as pretty clueless. there are things schaub couldve done on that play... running it in was not 1 of them

houstonspartan
10-09-2011, 07:41 PM
“The man choked,” Oakland defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said. “He could have run it in. I’m happy we got the pick. But the ball was on like the five-yard line. All he had to run in. He wanted to throw him another touchdown. He threw a pick.”

Punked by an opposing player.

This is just embarrassing.

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 07:42 PM
“The man choked,” Oakland defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said. “He could have run it in. I’m happy we got the pick. But the ball was on like the five-yard line. All he had to run in. He wanted to throw him another touchdown. He threw a pick.”

So embarrassing .... But on the other hand, it's easy to talk shit when you win

houstonspartan
10-09-2011, 07:42 PM
its been fun reading this... mentally ticking anybody who thinks he shouldve run & wouldve made it as pretty clueless. there are things schaub couldve done on that play... running it in was not 1 of them

Lol. Re-read your post to yourself. SLOWLY.

So, you think YOU know what Schaub could have done? Ok. lol.

Grams
10-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Matt had been limping since the hit on his knee by Seymore.

TexansFanatic
10-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Wow.

I don't think it has anything to do with Schaub wanting to throw another TD.

I think he was trying to avoid the pain of the hit.

But I agree with Tommy Kelly. Schaub would have made it.

And I think if you watch the replay and study the look on Schaub's face after he threw the pick, you can see it in his eyes----he knew he would have made it, too.

srrono
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
its a lose lose spot if he ran and was stuffed everyone would have been screaming on TT, why did he run? I think at that position 1 of the recievers needed to make a play and create seperation. Schaub is a thrower not a runner he just had no one to throw too.

CretorFrigg
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I was hoping Schaub would channel his inner Vick.

Surreal McCoy
10-09-2011, 07:49 PM
He would have been crushed, easily. More importantly, why was Jacoby running toward the post when Schaub was headed for the sideline?

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I was hoping Schaub would channel his inner Vick.

I totally read something else other than Vick .... and was going to respond with he doesn't have one :spit:

Lucky
10-09-2011, 07:51 PM
He hesitated too long and should have thrown it away when the play blew up. We could have had one more play.
This. Where's the poise to know that reading the play and getting rid of the ball is the right play?
Matt had been limping since the hit on his knee by Seymore.
Schaub's got to be the least athletic starting QB in the NFL. Hurt knee or not.
Schaub has made this the worst Hispanic Heritage Day ever.
Schaub hates hispanics. This much is clear.

houstonspartan
10-09-2011, 07:51 PM
He would have been crushed, easily. More importantly, why was Jacoby running toward the post when Schaub was headed for the sideline?

Jacoby's another issue altogether. Dude's been in the NFL four years and every week we keep seeing "Jacoby needs to step up" stories. Ridiculus.

Maddict5
10-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Lol. Re-read your post to yourself. SLOWLY.

So, you think YOU know what Schaub could have done? Ok. lol.

i think most ppl (with a clue) who have watched schaub realise he isnt gonna make it in with a big safety who runs a 4.3 closing on him

rewatch the play. schaub looks like hes thinking of running it after he escapes the pressure right at the 7 yd line. then he sees branch sprinting at him from around the -1 yd line = he wouldve like been tackled around the 4-5 yd line = no td

Scooter
10-09-2011, 07:57 PM
i have it paused at the "moment of truth".

schaub is at the 9 yard line moving toward the goalline.

daniels is going left to right, dragging a defender out of the play.

jacoby and huff are out of the play at the sideline, middle of the endzone.

a defender is 3 yards deep in the endzone, starting to move towards schaub and angled outside. 3 yards outside of schaub.

dreesson is posted up like shaq, 4 yards in the endzone, 2 yards to schaub's right (behind daniels) ... touchdown

93 (kelly?) is chasing from the rear, would be close to schaub at around the 1 if schaub cuts inside.

schaub at the 8 yard offers an ugly dump-pump fake and (as always) bolts for the sideline. the open defender has his sights set. had schaub simply tucked and run inside, he earns a couple bruises, but scores.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 07:58 PM

agree Jones should have cut back towards the sideline, easy TD, but no he just kinda stops and stands there like hmmmm what should i do.

SheTexan
10-09-2011, 08:01 PM
To answer the question, YES, I think he would have made it, IF he hadn't be so scared of getting hit. IF you really want to win a game, you take chances when you are in the clutch. Matts a wuss, and just frankly did NOT want to win this game bad enough!! JMO!! After all, "it's only one game" which is a quote he made last year. Seems his attitude hasn't changed. Our QB just does not have that killer instinct, he's totally non emotional. That's JMO also!!

Maddict5
10-09-2011, 08:03 PM
i have it paused at the "moment of truth".

schaub is at the 9 yard line moving toward the goalline.

daniels is going left to right, dragging a defender out of the play.

jacoby and huff are out of the play at the sideline, middle of the endzone.

a defender is 3 yards deep in the endzone, starting to move towards schaub and angled outside. 3 yards outside of schaub.

dreesson is posted up like shaq, 4 yards in the endzone, 2 yards to schaub's right (behind daniels) ... touchdown

93 (kelly?) is chasing from the rear, would be close to schaub at around the 1 if schaub cuts inside.

schaub at the 8 yard offers an ugly dump-pump fake and (as always) bolts for the sideline. the open defender has his sights set. had schaub simply tucked and run inside, he scores easily.

lol you dont know what ur looking at

that pump fake was made in the hope it would make branch (who had decided to leave the EZ and go straight for schaub by that pt) freeze as it wouldve been the only way he had any chance of making the EZ running. it didnt, branch still came sprinting full speed. thats when mat looped to the sideline to buy time for jj to get open (which in hindsight knowing jj was a dumb move)

edit: if schaub goes straight line kelly & branch crush him at the 3-4 yd line

MadBurgerMaker
10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Schaub would have had to run over 33, who was hauling ass straight for him as soon as he came out of that terrible pocket, to get into the endzone. Looks like they would have met at about the 3 if he hadn't turned and tried to make a throw to Jacoby, who apparently decided the best thing to do would be to step back behind Huff.

dream_team
10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Hell NO he wouldn't have made it. Even if he committed to the run early. He's not fast, he can't juke a guy, and he's easy to bring down. He did the right thing by pretending to run to try to draw in the defender, but they didn't bite. He knew time was up and forced something to JJ. Usually AJ would bail him out there with an amazing catch... but JJ is no AJ.

Wolf
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
SAFETY MICHAEL HUFF
(On his last-second interception) “Luckily, he’s not that fast, but he was getting run down, so I just stayed in coverage. He just threw it, and I had to catch it. Those are the hardest ones to catch, the ones that come right to you, but luckily I caught it.”

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Quotes-Raiders-at-Texans/e01da588-9b69-4641-b904-3a9feca36e4e

kwayshauntay
10-09-2011, 08:48 PM
I have to see the replay, but I would guess, no.

A defender was coming. Breathe on Schaub and he curls up into the fetal position.

Lucky
10-09-2011, 09:03 PM
he just threw it, and i had to catch it. Those are the hardest ones to catch, the ones that come right to you, but luckily i caught it.”

no! You should have knocked it down.
wwgqd?

panamamyers
10-09-2011, 09:15 PM
No way in HELL he makes it in. Trying to run it in is #13 on the list of 14 things he could have done there. Unfortunately #14 is what he actually did.

silvrhand
10-09-2011, 09:52 PM
To answer the question, YES, I think he would have made it, IF he hadn't be so scared of getting hit. IF you really want to win a game, you take chances when you are in the clutch. Matts a wuss, and just frankly did NOT want to win this game bad enough!! JMO!! After all, "it's only one game" which is a quote he made last year. Seems his attitude hasn't changed. Our QB just does not have that killer instinct, he's totally non emotional. That's JMO also!!

totally agree, winners want the ball, winners find a way to win.. Sorry still don't think Matt Schaub is good enough to get us to where we want to be.

Lucky
10-09-2011, 10:04 PM
No way in HELL he makes it in.
I'm leaning toward agreeing with this. Every other starting NFL QB scores on that play. Matt Schaub doesn't.

Surreal McCoy
10-09-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm leaning toward agreeing with this. Every other starting NFL QB scores on that play. Matt Schaub doesn't.

Yeah, especially p8tun, brady, hasselbeck, because they're all so fast and strong, huh?

FML

Cerberus
10-09-2011, 10:11 PM

Wow.

I don't think it has anything to do with Schaub wanting to throw another TD.

I think he was trying to avoid the pain of the hit.

But I agree with Tommy Kelly. Schaub would have made it.

And I think if you watch the replay and study the look on Schaub's face after he threw the pick, you can see it in his eyes----he knew he would have made it, too.

i think most ppl (with a clue) who have watched schaub realise he isnt gonna make it in with a big safety who runs a 4.3 closing on him

rewatch the play. schaub looks like hes thinking of running it after he escapes the pressure right at the 7 yd line. then he sees branch sprinting at him from around the -1 yd line = he wouldve like been tackled around the 4-5 yd line = no td

I was sitting in Row B of Section 135, right in front of the play. When Schaub started toward the hole I was dreading it, but then I noticed that Tyvon Branch saw Schaub and if memory serves me correct, he was out of the endzone or almost out which is why Schaub had to suddenly change his mind and throw. And throw he did. Right to Michael Huff.

Here is the before and after shots of the play from my seat, so you can see for yourself that I had a great view of the play.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/Cerberus1960/IMG_3378.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l187/Cerberus1960/IMG_3379.jpg

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 10:12 PM
No one knows if he makes it or not. However, he had a better chance of scoring if he had run it, rather then just throw it to the opposition. A stiff arm and a dive MAY have gotten most QBs 6 points, but Schuab is incredibly weak when it comes to running or just moving in general.

This is almost universally accepted as truth even by his most ardent supporters. I'm trying to figure out why so many people are happy with a QB who is near Dan Marino level immobile in the 2011 NFL.

His sneaky roll-out is pretty much out of the bag these days. It's been a few weeks now since I've seen anyone we played not have someone running toward him the moment he took off. This isn't 1978. Bob Griese can't play this sport at this level anymore and neither can his taller, less coordinated clone Matt Schaub.

DocBar
10-09-2011, 10:13 PM
A savvy, CLUTCH QB would've surmised the situation, determined that running it in was the best option and put on a decent pump fake to freeze Huff as he walked into the endzone. Schaub is a great stats whore, but is more of a robot than anything else. Throw his timing off a little bit or make him a bit uncomfortable and all his weaknesses flash to the forefront. This was one of his worse games as a Texan. I'll bet a lot of money that we'll be 3-3 going into Tennessee. That defense is ferocious.

VTexan
10-09-2011, 10:15 PM
agree Jones should have cut back towards the sideline, easy TD, but no he just kinda stops and stands there like hmmmm what should i do.

All he needed to do was a quick juke/cutback when he saw schaub scrambling but decided to go the other way into coverage? Terrible. He could have even 'sat down' if he wanted to.

Anyone still doubting that WR is a true need on this team?

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 10:15 PM
This is almost universally accepted as truth even by his most ardent supporters. I'm trying to figure out why so many people are happy with a QB who is near Dan Marino level immobile in the 2011 NFL.

His sneaky roll-out is pretty much out of the bag these days. It's been a few weeks now since I've seen anyone we played not have someone running toward him the moment he took off. This isn't 1978. Bob Griese can't play this sport at this level anymore and neither can his taller, less coordinated clone Matt Schaub.

that long TD pass to dressen was on a QB roll out, we only had 2 roll outs the whole game from schaub, i think kubiak should stick with what works. If not it will cost him his job.

Lucky
10-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, especially p8tun, brady, hasselbeck, because they're all so fast and strong, huh?

Every other QB scores. Because they are all more mobile and athletic than Schaub.

Is Peyton playing? Didn't know that.

DX-TEX
10-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Many folks, however, are going to be second-guessing the quarterback for a long time to come about his opting not to run like a fool to daylight, such as it was. It won't help any, either, when they hear about Tommy Kelly's assessment of the situation. The Raiders' defensive tackle didn't cut Schaub one iota of slack.

"Old boy choked," Kelly chortled. "All he had to do was run it in. He choked, simple as that."

Raiders DT says he choked and should have ran it.

Lucky
10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Anyone still doubting that WR is a true need on this team?
No doubt. Right behind head coach, and possibly QB.

brakos82
10-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Every other QB scores. Because they are all more mobile and athletic than Schaub.

Is Peyton playing? Didn't know that.

Peyton uses his forehead to telepathically make Huff not go for the football. :spy:

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 10:22 PM
that long TD pass to dressen was on a QB roll out, we only had 2 roll outs the whole game from schaub, i think kubiak should stick with what works. If not it will cost him his job.

I saw it and he had a guy bearing down on him as he threw it. That's all fine and dandy but if he keeps running it eventually he's going to get smashed which is probably why Gary keeps it in the bag a lot. Any team with speed is going to be waiting for it.

That's the limit of his mobility bag of tricks though. Other than that roll out he's got nothing. Big, gangly awkward statue.

DocBar
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I saw it and he had a guy bearing down on him as he threw it. That's all fine and dandy but if he keeps running it eventually he's going to get smashed which is probably why Gary keeps it in the bag a lot. Any team with speed is going to be waiting for it.

That's the limit of his mobility bag of tricks though. Other than that roll out he's got nothing. Big, gangly awkward statue.Even Bernie Kosar and Dan Marino made some decent scrambles with a savvy pump fake. A pump fake to freeze Huff would've sprang Schaub. Even if it hadn't, it would've scored higher on the "manly scale" than the INT. Schaub looked like he should star in one of the Miller Lite commercials.

The Cush
10-09-2011, 10:34 PM
I watched that replay a million times. Schaub would never had made it if he tried, he is way too slow. Why he decided to put such little velocity on that throw/target Dropcoby is beyond me

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 10:50 PM
I watched that replay a million times. Schaub would never had made it if he tried, he is way too slow. Why he decided to put such little velocity on that throw/target Dropcoby is beyond me

Even if he didn't run, he could have thrown it to the ground, stopped the clock & started over.

I kick myself every time I post a "could have".

I think we should donate to Texans Talk every time some one does. Board would be paid for in a month ... with the bye week

Texans34Life
10-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Schaub is a loser.

He had the run easy.

What an ***** Schaub is.

This.

Diving for the endzone or going 1-on-1 against a LB/DB for the game....that was what I wanted to see, even if we did win or lose.

Just the ****ing effort. Don't understand why he had the cajones to run it in against Miami a few years ago....why not now?

WTF? He was a ***** for throwing the ball in that moment.

TexansFanatic
10-09-2011, 11:12 PM
I kick myself every time I post a "could have".

Unfortunately---as we know---those are THE words used most used by the fans of losing teams.

:toropalm:

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 11:21 PM
This.

Diving for the endzone or going 1-on-1 against a LB/DB for the game....that was what I wanted to see, even if we did win or lose.

Just the ****ing effort. Don't understand why he had the cajones to run it in against Miami a few years ago....why not now?

Yep, I remember it. If I'm not mistaken at the time Matt was getting a lot of the same kind of criticism that he's getting today and that run shut a lot of people up.

Didn't happen today.

edo783
10-09-2011, 11:27 PM
And just imagine all the wailing and knashing of teeth if he did run it and took a good smack from the LB or DB and wound up getting hurt and missing games. Then all the talk would be "What a dumbass move on Schaub's part". Should have dumped it off". Even if he did score the TD, but wound up getting hurt and being out a few games, folk would be flying up his tailpipe like there's no tomorrow for it. He would be damed if he did and damed if he didn't. The only safe thing would be to chuck it into the ground, reset and take another run at it. JJ gave him zero help on that play. If he did just about anything but what he did, Schaub would have had a much better shot at a completion.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Why is it that people are all bagging on Schaub's lack of mobility as if everyone hasn't known that was a weakness of his for years???? Come on now. We've all known that Schaub was slow as shit.

Schaub has always been a poor man's Kurt Warner. Slow as hell with zero mobility, but a good passer. That's who he is. If he doesn't have good blocking he'll never be a QB that can make plays with his feet and extend them. He simply doesn't have the athleticism and speed to do that. The Texans aren't going to ever win jack by trying to make Schaub the guy to carry the team. They need to build a great defense, a great O line, and let Arian Foster and AJ carry this team. Schaub is easily good enough to be the QB for that if you can work that plan with those guys.

El Tejano
10-10-2011, 12:18 AM
This.

Exactly!!! If he makes it in, we win a game we had no business winning. If he doesn't, we simply lost a game we had no business winning and Matt did everything he could to try and get us to win and what anyone would've done. Instead he threw the game away...as he seems to do lately.

Really, like I've stated in the past, there were at least 3 or 4 games last year where we were in the 4th quarter and if Matt picks up a first down by simply tucking the ball and running for 3 or 4 yards, we keep the ball. Instead he would do exactly what he did today and would either throw the ball away and stop the clock, throw an incomplete and stop the clock, or throw an interception and help the other team come back, or occasionally complete the pass. That's not winning football and it certainly isn't great QB play.

TexansFanatic
10-10-2011, 12:22 AM
If he makes it in, we win a game we had no business winning. If he doesn't, we simply lost a game we had no business winning

Why did we have no business winning?

I think the Raiders had no business winning, but I could be wrong.

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Exactly!!! If he makes it in, we win a game we had no business winning. If he doesn't, we simply lost a game we had no business winning and Matt did everything he could to try and get us to win and what anyone would've done. Instead he threw the game away...as he seems to do lately.

Really, like I've stated in the past, there were at least 3 or 4 last year where we were in the 4th quarter and if Matt picks up a first down by simply tucking the ball and running for 3 or 4 yards, we keep the ball. Instead he would do exactly what he did today and would either throw the ball away and stop the clock, throw an incomplete and stop the clock, or throw an interception and help the other team come back, or occasionally complete the pass. That's not winning football and it certainly isn't great QB play.

yeah i would like to hear htis, if we had no buisness winning this game does that mean we should go 0-11 the rest of the season ?

GuerillaBlack
10-10-2011, 12:41 AM
yeah i would like to hear htis, if we had no buisness winning this game does that mean we should go 0-11 the rest of the season ?

The spirit of Al Davis...

Not to mention we did lose MW and Casey.

Texan in Japan
10-10-2011, 12:47 AM

This is the part that frustrated me. Jacoby stops like he's trying to block-out Huff (Basketball style) and then sits there while Huff reacts to the throw.

Schaub is a good QB, but he is not someone who can put the team on his back and win the game. He needs help. I doubt he would have made in the end zone on a run, hell Seymour sacked him with one hand. For a big man, he's weak and not very nimble. So he realizes his weaknesses and he tried to give JJ an opportunity to make a play. Huff made the play instead.

Ckw
10-10-2011, 12:49 AM
If he had not hesitated, he could have very well made it in.............If he had not hesitated, he could have very well thrown it away and had another play.

As he DID hesitate, he threw away any chance of a TD.

This sums it up.

Not to mention, it's not like the one guy that could have tackled him, Huff, was a bit DT or LB even; it was a DB. Schaub is like 6'5" and 240 lbs. I would think that if he really gave it his all and smacked into all 6'1" and 200 lbs of Michael Huff that he would have had a decent shot of getting into the end zone. But as it is, Schaub didn't even try and did the worst thing he could have done: he hesitated. That to me shows a complete lack of confidence and looked like something Kubiak would have done if he was the QB of this team.

Texan4Ever
10-10-2011, 12:59 AM
What's sad is that David Carr or even Sage Rosenfels could've made that play! Of course, Sage would've promptly fumbled the ball.

Maybe we should of kept Jared Zabransky for situations like these...

TexansFanatic
10-10-2011, 01:03 AM
The spirit of Al Davis...

Not to mention we did lose MW and Casey.

Oh no, the Texans don't really have to practice in preparation for ghosts now, do they?

Geez, we're so fk'ed.

HJam72
10-10-2011, 03:44 AM
What's sad is that David Carr or even Sage Rosenfels could've made that play! Of course, Sage would've promptly fumbled the ball.

Maybe we should of kept Jared Zabransky for situations like these...

Yes, but Rosencopter would have fumbled the ball in the endzone. It would have bounced around all over the place until Kevin Walter caught it with one hand on the other side of the field and won the game, LOL!

brakos82
10-10-2011, 04:39 AM
Yes, but Rosencopter would have fumbled the ball in the endzone. It would have bounced around all over the place until Kevin Walter caught it with one hand on the other side of the field and won the game, LOL!

Holy Toledo!

Rey
10-10-2011, 07:27 AM
Schaub could have made it if he went straight to the endzone. He drifted toward the sideline and hesitated. Shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Oz Texan
10-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Its fun to be in the stands or on the couch, you know why cause we dont have to see this in real time in the real situation. This obviously gives us the right to say what Schaub should have done. The man was limping noticably since the Seymore hit and any thought of run after seeing Huff in the endzone might have been out of his thought process thinking I cant make it with tis bum leg. Matt as we all know is not the best runner in the league and I dare say the worst running quarterback in the league. But to sit here and say he definatly would have made it if he ran is just yalls opinion with slow motion and pauses to your TV/internet. Like i said thats easy. Doing it for real on the feild with a bum knee is hard.

Not saying I was not upset about the way it unfolded but I will still root for this team and Schaub despite how this game ended.

Speedy
10-10-2011, 07:55 AM

Exactly. Schaub would have been nailed at the 2 or 3 and everybody would be on his ass about why he didn't throw it. And yes, he would have been stopped well short of the end zone. He's not going to juke anyone out of his shoes and he's as slow as drying paint.

Schaub could have made it if he went straight to the endzone. He drifted toward the sideline and hesitated.

Wrong. Schaub didn't start heading east-west until he saw the safety coming up. That's when he knew he wouldn't make it and everybody on the planet should have known it too. He wasn't going to make it. He's too slow and non-elusive.

Joe Texan
10-10-2011, 08:22 AM
Matt would have been exonerated had he tried to score by running, problem is the wuss factor, His man girl came out and he tossed it to the raiders.
He loses his mancard for that play.:toropalm:

Blake
10-10-2011, 08:43 AM
So would Schaub have scored if he had run?

I just watched the replay a few times and the answer is a hard No. He had a guy bearing down on him and Schaub is no Tim Tebow. He would have been taken down easy. Either he didnt see Huff at all, or figured Huff would not go for the crap lob pass. Seriously. That is the worst thing about the play. His lob pass.

Cerberus
10-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Why did we have no business winning?

I think the Raiders had no business winning, but I could be wrong.

Apparently you are wrong. The Raiders are bigger, faster, and more talented athletically than the Texans; however, the Texans have been in the same system under the same coach and with the same QB for years, they are more disciplined, and were playing at home. To me, that made it an even game, which it proved to be.

Don't be ridiculous. The Texans should win their division when all is said and done. Although, if they enter the WC race the loss to the Raiders may come back to haunt them.

This sums it up.

Not to mention, it's not like the one guy that could have tackled him, Huff, was a bit DT or LB even; it was a DB. Schaub is like 6'5" and 240 lbs. I would think that if he really gave it his all and smacked into all 6'1" and 200 lbs of Michael Huff that he would have had a decent shot of getting into the end zone. But as it is, Schaub didn't even try and did the worst thing he could have done: he hesitated. That to me shows a complete lack of confidence and looked like something Kubiak would have done if he was the QB of this team.

Actually, the "one guy" was S Tyvon Branch.

Exactly. Schaub would have been nailed at the 2 or 3 and everybody would be on his ass about why he didn't throw it. And yes, he would have been stopped well short of the end zone. He's not going to juke anyone out of his shoes and he's as slow as drying paint.

Wrong. Schaub didn't start heading east-west until he saw the safety coming up. That's when he knew he wouldn't make it and everybody on the planet should have known it too. He wasn't going to make it. He's too slow and non-elusive.

I have the play paused on my DVR right now. This is what happened:

When Schaub rolled-out and made it to the 7-yardline, Branch was coming at him from the goal line. They would have hit somewhere around the 3 or 4 yard line, so it is doubtful that Schaub would have lunged forward that far after taking a lick from a safety. Especially since he had lateral movement and Branch was coming straight at him.

I just watched the replay a few times and the answer is a hard No. He had a guy bearing down on him and Schaub is no Tim Tebow. He would have been taken down easy. Either he didnt see Huff at all, or figured Huff would not go for the crap lob pass. Seriously. That is the worst thing about the play. His lob pass.

Looked like Jacoby broke off his route and headed toward the back of the end zone, while Schaub threw it as if Jacoby was going to keep coming across. Jacoby's "drift" backwards allowed Michael Huff to step in front of the pass.

b0ng
10-10-2011, 09:19 AM
You guys that think he would've made it in are smoking the good shit. Tyvon Branch would've ruined Schaub well before he made it to the endzone. Branch wasn't even in the endzone any more and was bearing down on Schaub before Schaub had even gotten to the 5 yard line.

Honoring Earl 34
10-10-2011, 09:25 AM
You guys that think he would've made it in are smoking the good shit. Tyvon Branch would've ruined Schaub well before he made it to the endzone. Branch wasn't even in the endzone any more and was bearing down on Schaub before Schaub had even gotten to the 5 yard line.

Schaub's best bet would require some speed and wiggle . Schaub could start for the pylon , get Branch running diagonally that way and cutting back . Lava flowing would have a better chance .

Surreal McCoy
10-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Matt would have been exonerated ...

Like ****, and you know it.

b0ng
10-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Schaub's best bet would require some speed and wiggle . Schaub could start for the pylon , get Branch running diagonally that way and cutting back . Lava flowing would have a better chance .

Yeah no.

Dread-Head
10-10-2011, 10:06 AM

Hell YEAH! Even if you DON'T make it you tuck it and charge towards the goal line. QuarterBACK means you can RUN with that football. A Leader would have said "vugg it" and at least tried. As much as I don't like Toni Romo "SHE" would have tried to run it in. Matt Schaub proves yet again why the Atlanta Falcons had him as Dog Boy's back up for the bulk of his career before he got here.

Dread-Head
10-10-2011, 10:08 AM

Even if you're going to fail, in that situation you TRY damn it. If not then get fitted for a nice red jacket and learn to drive a stick for your new job parking cars.

Mr teX
10-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Hell YEAH! Even if you DON'T make it you tuck it and charge towards the goal line. QuarterBACK means you can RUN with that football. A Leader would have said "vugg it" and at least tried. As much as I don't like Toni Romo "SHE" would have tried to run it in. Matt Schaub proves yet again why the Atlanta Falcons had him as Dog Boy's back up for the bulk of his career before he got here.

Yeah, & the last time Romo tried that "charge" at the goalline he fumbled it & effectively ruined any chance of winning that Jets game.

Honoring Earl 34
10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Yeah, & the last time Romo tried that "charge" at the goalline he fumbled it & effectively ruined any chance of winning that Jets game.

So a dead quail interception is better ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6E4Oy6pFKQ

Dread-Head
10-10-2011, 10:10 AM

But she at least has my respect for TRYING bless her heart. Schuab doesn't even get that.

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Ultimately we'll never know if he'd have made it because he didn't have the stones it took to try.

When the fans in Houston turn on him finally for all time we can all say "I was there, when Matt could have won the game by nutting-up but didn't".

Dread-Head
10-10-2011, 10:19 AM
Ultimately we'll never know if he'd have made it because he didn't have the stones it took to try.

When the fans in Houston turn on him finally for all time we can all say "I was there, when Matt could have won the game by nutting-up but didn't".

:lol:

b0ng
10-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Even if you're going to fail, in that situation you TRY damn it. If not then get fitted for a nice red jacket and learn to drive a stick for your new job parking cars.

I don't get this justification at all. Throwing it away is the way way way more correct option in that situation than running. Running and making a limp wristed "pass" to Jacoby both end in a loss in that situation, so I don't even get why running it is somehow going to lead to a better conclusion (it wouldn't) than getting picked in the end zone.

Honoring Earl 34
10-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I don't get this justification at all. Throwing it away is the way way way more correct option in that situation than running. Running and making a limp wristed "pass" to Jacoby both end in a loss in that situation, so I don't even get why running it is somehow going to lead to a better conclusion (it wouldn't) than getting picked in the end zone.

He needed to make a quick read and know to leave at least a second on the clock . His OL didn't do him any favors and a TO would have been handy .

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011100901/2011/REG5/raiders@texans#tab=recap&menu=highlights

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 10:30 AM

I think what a lot of us are saying is if you're gonna do something there then for ****'s sake DO IT. I can get behind throwing it in the ground and coming back for a second try. I'm not saying that wouldn't be the best thing to do there at all. I'm saying if Matt was intent on forcing the issue then he runs straight ahead and put's it all on him. Throwing the ball there was easily third on the list of three things he could have done. That's no AJ there. That's not even OD. That's Jacoby "I Can't Catch Shit" Jones and he's not even open. He's as covered as possible. If you're determined to score on that play you make up your mind and go all out. You don't sit there and visibly waffle while your shrinking path the end zone closes.

That's Matt's issue in a nutshell. He doesn't deal with pressure well and becomes indecisive.

Gary's issue is that he's going to continue to tolerate this forever because Matt's his boy. If David Carr did this in week 5 of the 2006 season Kubiak would have torn him a new fourth point of contact. With Matt they'll just work this out in practice (eventually).

b0ng
10-10-2011, 10:39 AM
I think what a lot of us are saying is if you're gonna do something there then for ****'s sake DO IT. I can get behind throwing it in the ground and coming back for a second try. I'm not saying that wouldn't be the best thing to do there at all. I'm saying if Matt was intent on forcing the issue then he runs straight ahead and put's it all on him. Throwing the ball there was easily third on the list of three things he could have done. That's no AJ there. That's not even OD. That's Jacoby "I Can't Catch Shit" Jones and he's not even open. He's as covered as possible. If you're determined to score on that play you make up your mind and go all out. You don't sit there and visibly waffle while your shrinking path the end zone closes.

That's Matt's issue in a nutshell. He doesn't deal with pressure well and becomes indecisive.

Gary's issue is that he's going to continue to tolerate this forever because Matt's his boy. If David Carr did this in week 5 of the 2006 season Kubiak would have torn him a new fourth point of contact. With Matt they'll just work this out in practice (eventually).

This is basically just going to devolve into damned if you do and damned if you don't. If he would've attempted to run it in and got crushed by Branch, then this board is alight with "What the **** was Schaub thinking, everybody knows he can't run." type deal. Schaub made a gigantic mistake by not throwing the ball away as soon as he got flushed out of the pocket. There's no point in really going any farther in the play than that, because that was the most critical mistake of the whole play. Whether he ran the ball or threw it to a receiver after that point is almost moot because neither was going to work and there was too much time taken off the clock to try and toss it away and get another shot.

This game did not ultimately hinge on this play either there were a lot of other plays that lead up to this one, and Schaub is at fault on some of those plays too (As well as Jacoby, some O-linemen, Vickers, Kubiak and some others). But the whole "Should he have run" question is a silly one to ask because running would have ultimately led to the same basic ending unless you think Schaub would've been able to juke or shed Tyvon Branch. Raise your hand if you think Schaub could've juked or shed Tyvon Branch, I'll count the hands from here.

Dread-Head
10-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Yeah...THIS!

:clown:

silvrhand
10-10-2011, 11:21 AM
i think what a lot of us are saying is if you're gonna do something there then for ****'s sake do it. I can get behind throwing it in the ground and coming back for a second try. I'm not saying that wouldn't be the best thing to do there at all. I'm saying if matt was intent on forcing the issue then he runs straight ahead and put's it all on him. Throwing the ball there was easily third on the list of three things he could have done. That's no aj there. That's not even od. That's jacoby "i can't catch shit" jones and he's not even open. He's as covered as possible. If you're determined to score on that play you make up your mind and go all out. You don't sit there and visibly waffle while your shrinking path the end zone closes.

That's matt's issue in a nutshell. He doesn't deal with pressure well and becomes indecisive.

Gary's issue is that he's going to continue to tolerate this forever because matt's his boy. If david carr did this in week 5 of the 2006 season kubiak would have torn him a new fourth point of contact. With matt they'll just work this out in practice (eventually).

+100000

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 12:07 PM
This is basically just going to devolve into damned if you do and damned if you don't. If he would've attempted to run it in and got crushed by Branch, then this board is alight with "What the **** was Schaub thinking, everybody knows he can't run." type deal. Schaub made a gigantic mistake by not throwing the ball away as soon as he got flushed out of the pocket. There's no point in really going any farther in the play than that, because that was the most critical mistake of the whole play. Whether he ran the ball or threw it to a receiver after that point is almost moot because neither was going to work and there was too much time taken off the clock to try and toss it away and get another shot.

This game did not ultimately hinge on this play either there were a lot of other plays that lead up to this one, and Schaub is at fault on some of those plays too (As well as Jacoby, some O-linemen, Vickers, Kubiak and some others). But the whole "Should he have run" question is a silly one to ask because running would have ultimately led to the same basic ending unless you think Schaub would've been able to juke or shed Tyvon Branch. Raise your hand if you think Schaub could've juked or shed Tyvon Branch, I'll count the hands from here.

No, it's not. Unless you just want to take it there then I guess go right ahead. I'm fine with Matt decides to throw it away the moment he's flushed from the pocket and comes back to try again on the next play. I'm fine with Matt tries to run it in and falls short. I'm less pleased with Matt tries to throw it through Huff to Jacoby Jones who hasn't caught a ****ing thing all day (OK, one out of eleven tries he caught) obviously but damn, it's not like he couldn't see the guy standing there. That was just "put gun to temple, pull trigger" stupid.

I'm mostly upset with Matt because he took all the remaining time to decide to do the worst one of the three possible choices.

I'm unhappy with Gary because this impressive offense we supposedly have is all smoke and mirrors, stats and finesse. No meat, no potatoes. Best offensive line in the NFL my ass.

Cerberus
10-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Once again, the play happened right in front of me. Schaub wouldn't have made it running, because he isn't Vick or say Tebow. Jacoby screwed up by not continuing his ad lib pattern across the end zone; that's where Schaub threw the ball to.

Surreal McCoy
10-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Once again, the play happened right in front of me. Schaub wouldn't have made it running, because he isn't Vick or say Tebow. Jacoby screwed up by not continuing his ad lib pattern across the end zone; that's where Schaub threw the ball to.

This^ You can actually see Jacoby isn't even looking for the ball (unless h'es looking through the earhole) when Matt makes the throw. Doesn't absolve Matt, but dear me, Jacoby is possibly one of the thickest players I've ever seen.

Speedy
10-10-2011, 12:48 PM
So a dead quail interception is better ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6E4Oy6pFKQ

It's a loss either way so what the hell difference does it make? He throws a pick, or gets crushed at the 3 yard line. Then he either gets blasted for not running it, or not throwing it.

That might have been the last game on the line play, and yeah, it sucks that we don't seem to have anybody to make that play, but it wasn't what lost that football game.

b0ng
10-10-2011, 12:52 PM
No, it's not. Unless you just want to take it there then I guess go right ahead. I'm fine with Matt decides to throw it away the moment he's flushed from the pocket and comes back to try again on the next play. I'm fine with Matt tries to run it in and falls short. I'm less pleased with Matt tries to throw it through Huff to Jacoby Jones who hasn't caught a ****ing thing all day (OK, one out of eleven tries he caught) obviously but damn, it's not like he couldn't see the guy standing there. That was just "put gun to temple, pull trigger" stupid.

I'm mostly upset with Matt because he took all the remaining time to decide to do the worst one of the three possible choices.

I'm unhappy with Gary because this impressive offense we supposedly have is all smoke and mirrors, stats and finesse. No meat, no potatoes. Best offensive line in the NFL my ass.

Why is running it and falling short when you are Matt Schaub any more acceptable of an out-come than limply throwing an INT to the closest DB? Either way I'm coming out of that situation pissed off at Matt Schaub because both are about equal levels of bad decisionry.

If we are talking even, Aaron Rogers, or Alex Smith, or Andy Dalton or god knows how many other QB's are more mobile than Schaub I'd totally get where you are coming from. But in no way am I coming away with a better impression of Schaub if he does that than what actually went down. Both decisions are really bad for entirely yet equal reasons. I don't see where the distinction comes into play.

HOU-TEX
10-10-2011, 12:58 PM
He should've thrown it away once out of the pocket. It was obvious that play was doomed.

JWarren14
10-10-2011, 01:24 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tOh2B.jpg

Looks like he had Jacoby for a second but was looking for Walter who was covered, should have thrown it way. IF he tried to run it in and failed the title would be "So would Schaub have scored if had to throw?"

Hindsight is 20/20 the offense played pretty sub-par and nobody stepped up to make a play. I am not backing Schaub on this one.

Another thing I don't understand is why you get in the shotgun and basically put yourself at the 10 yard line, with the drop Schaub was back at the 15.

Oh well another crappy day in Texans history. To answer the question though, I don't believe he would have scored if he had run.

TexansFanatic
10-10-2011, 01:32 PM
To answer the question though, I don't believe he would have scored if he had run.

PERFECT! That picture is precisely what I've been hoping to analyze---thanks for posting it.

It very definitely now looks like Tywon Jones was bolting straight toward Schaub and would have crushed him well before he got near the end zone.

But it also appears Schaub had Jacoby open at that exact moment and could have hit him if he had rocketed the ball at him without hesitating.

Ckw
10-10-2011, 01:41 PM

His name is Jacoby "I Can't Wipe My Own Ass Because I'll Drop The TP And Get Shit All Over My Hands" Jones. Geez!

foo82
10-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Looks like he had Jacoby for a second but was looking for Walter who was covered, should have thrown it way. IF he tried to run it in and failed the title would be "So would Schaub have scored if had to throw?"

Hindsight is 20/20 the offense played pretty sub-par and nobody stepped up to make a play. I am not backing Schaub on this one.

Another thing I don't understand is why you get in the shotgun and basically put yourself at the 10 yard line, with the drop Schaub was back at the 15.

Oh well another crappy day in Texans history. To answer the question though, I don't believe he would have scored if he had run.

Probably not, but I would have liked to see him try to make an attempt at the end zone. If a defensive lineman can chase you down...you aren't going to make it very far past the line of scrimmage. I thought these guys were athletes and it's very strange to see someone running so awkwardly.

panamamyers
10-10-2011, 01:57 PM
The main thing to note from that picture is the 4 seconds remaining on the clock, even after he danced around to the left for a while. Just rocket the ball at Daniels feet and play another down with 2 seconds remaining.

Giant Tiger
10-10-2011, 02:00 PM
PERFECT! That picture is precisely what I've been hoping to analyze---thanks for posting it.

It very definitely now looks like Tywon Jones was bolting straight toward Schaub and would have crushed him well before he got near the end zone.

But it also appears Schaub had Jacoby open at that exact moment and could have hit him if he had rocketed the ball at him without hesitating.

Was anybody covering Dreessen?

Norg
10-10-2011, 02:07 PM

lookin at the pick another option was he could have ran east towards #93 thats a DT and i doubt he runs that fast plus look at the reff surley he would of got in his way plus when in danger i would have ran towards thoes two O linemen they could have helped matt run in

gwallaia
10-10-2011, 02:12 PM
I accidentally saw the replay of the play while at lunch today as I glanced at the screen in the restaurant. I was hoping not to witness it again.
I have 3 points to make now.

1. Schaub would not have made it running.
2. Jacoby Jones did not make a good effort to get open.
3. Schaub is still to blame because of his indecision and timidness.

*Also, Vickers sucks.

TexansFanatic
10-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Was anybody covering Dreessen?

Can't tell from that picture, sure looks like he's all alone, but....

It's a trip to look at a frozen moment in time like that and try to put yourself inside it.

I think I would have scored. :-0
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt340/hookemfanatic/wtfmammy.gif

80tothezone
10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
yeh if OD had cut back right as schaub broke from the pocket he probably would have been open, but a little miscommunication had Od blocking which left the safety open to tackle. they played great D on that play schaub might have made it if he had run it 2 sec before he threw it while he had the safety and Dt trailing him but it woulda been close cause schaub is slower than christmas. as is was though no real high probability options he took a shot and lost can't be too mad at him for his play seeing as the OL took a personal day

80tothezone
10-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Can't tell from that picture, sure looks like he's all alone, but....

It's a trip to look at a frozen moment in time like that and try to put yourself inside it.

I think I would have scored. :-0
http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt340/hookemfanatic/wtfmammy.gif

there waz like 7raiders over there. so no probably not

Honoring Earl 34
10-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Footage of Matt's speed .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES32UFlPOUA

TexansFanatic
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
there waz like 7raiders over there. so no probably not

Not sure if you're talking about the defenders near Dreessen.

There are 8 Raiders visible in the picture. Obviously there can be only 3 out of the picture.

JWarren14
10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
Dressen was bumped off the line & covered by #34 and Foster was covered in the flat on the opposite side by #55.

The throw itself was almost a pitch more than a throw.

Tommy Kelly gave Jacoby an earfull after the play, stood right in his ear and you could tell he was screaming something...wonder what he was saying?

80tothezone
10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Not sure if you're talking about the defenders near Dreessen.

There are 8 Raiders visible in the picture. Obviously there can be only 3 out of the picture.

i didn't really look at the picture just watched the play like 20 times. it looked like the backside was covered

Wolf
10-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Foster probably the only Texan that would have the agility/vision/speed to make the DB miss, Schaub not so much

thanks to Andy (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85770)

http://www.texansbullpen.com/11photogallery/Season/2011-10-09-Raiders-Texans/4thQuarter/DSC_1381.JPG
http://www.texansbullpen.com/11photogallery/Season/2011-10-09-Raiders-Texans/4thQuarter/DSC_1383.JPG

picture looks like DB was past the goal line already..schaub looks to be at about the 5
http://www.texansbullpen.com/11photogallery/Season/2011-10-09-Raiders-Texans/4thQuarter/DSC_1384.JPG

to me, I don't understand how anyone can say schaub would make it .. DB is running toward him..Schaub is running east and west along the goal line and with his "agility" no way he makes the DB miss

TexansFanatic
10-10-2011, 11:33 PM
i didn't really look at the picture just watched the play like 20 times. it looked like the backside was covered

Raiders did a great job on that play. They blew up the pocket, flushed Schaub in the wrong direction, covered every receiver, and kept him from running it in.

Schaub f'ed up by not throwing the ball away immediately and taking another stab at it with a fresh play.

Cerberus
10-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Raiders did a great job on that play. They blew up the pocket, flushed Schaub in the wrong direction, covered every receiver, and kept him from running it in.

Schaub f'ed up by not throwing the ball away immediately and taking another stab at it with a fresh play.

And there you have it.

HJam72
10-11-2011, 09:28 AM

You can't expect him to know if there's 3 seconds left or 0. Nobody wants to throw the ball away in that situation and find out it's game over. God, I can hear the griping now!

HJam72
10-11-2011, 09:29 AM
And there you have it.

Yes, this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Matt Schaub is not Jesus Christ in Texans gear.

Cerberus
10-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Yes, this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Matt Schaub is not Jesus Christ in Texans gear.

The way some Texan fans bytch and cry about Schaub you'd think he was another JaMarcus Russell. Trust me, as a Raider fan I can tell you that Schaub isn't a bad QB and gets a bad rap for all that ails the Texans. No, he is no Kenny Stabler, but he also isn't JaMarcus; and I'd say he is certainly better than Jason Campbell.

I guess what I'm saying is that things could be worse, and if Schaub were to get kicked to the curb they probably will get worse before they get better at the QB position.

Surreal McCoy
10-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I guess what I'm saying is that things could be worse, and if Schaub were to get kicked to the curb they probably will get worse before they get better at the QB position.

That's odd as I've been assured by several posters on this very board that ANY QB is better than Schaub. I was starting to believe them until you posted this, now I'm back to feeling confused :(

Goatcheese
10-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Just saw these and couldn't help but say "JJ! :toropalm:" Why would you retreat when you have Huff stuck behind and nothing but green grass ahead?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/SchoonPK/VictoryorDefeat.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i174/SchoonPK/Defeat.jpg

Vinny
10-11-2011, 12:14 PM
If Jones had any snap he would have posted his defender up like in basketball. Shield him from the inside of the end zone...but Jones doesn't have much snap.

Just saw these and couldn't help but say "JJ! :toropalm:" Why would you retreat when you have Huff stuck behind and nothing but green grass ahead?

Cerberus
10-11-2011, 12:26 PM

That is what I've tried before with this post:

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1798459#poststop

Looked like Jacoby broke off his route and headed toward the back of the end zone, while Schaub threw it as if Jacoby was going to keep coming across. Jacoby's "drift" backwards allowed Michael Huff to step in front of the pass.

Now, while the back of the end zone was clear for JJ, Schaub threw as if JJ would keep coming across, knowing that Branch just left that area to stop Schaub from running it in. The QB and WR were definitely NOT on the same page when the play broke down. JJ was the only Texan open, and he broke the wrong way. Of course, the Raiders :d: deserves much credit for their play.

Javi
10-11-2011, 03:00 PM

This pic assumes that JJ would catch the ball. UNLIKELY!

Dutchrudder
10-11-2011, 03:05 PM
This pic assumes that JJ would catch the ball. UNLIKELY!

Well if he caught that pass in the end zone, it would have made up for the other 9 he missed that day...

run-david-run
10-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Schaub could have made it if he went straight to the endzone. He drifted toward the sideline and hesitated. Shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

Watch the replay. There's a safety, Branch I think, that immediately sees Schaub move forward and gives up his coverage to go after him. When Matt starts moving forward, he's at about the 7. Branch is about 2 yards into the endzone and spiriting forward. Unless Matt can run three times faster than, or truck, a DB in the open field, he's not getting anywhere near the endzone.

The problem we had is that the play had everyone going to the right (OD runs across the formation on an in, Dressen runs an out, Walter goes to the middle, Foster leaks to the right) leaving only JJ on the left, where the pressure forces Matt to scramble. That allows the other safety to pressure him without leaving anyone open. And then JJ does what he does and makes no real attempt to get open from Huff. The only way this would have succeeded is if Walter beat his man on the slant, like on the opening TD drive, but the Raiders wised up to it.

playa465
10-11-2011, 09:10 PM

See this is what gets me, the play clearly shows Schaub's indecisiveness...everyone talks about how JJ messed up (which he arguably does later in the play), but at this moment is where Schaub should have fired the ball to him as he has the defender behind him.

Texan_Bill
10-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Hell yeah he would've scored. A 6'-5 241lb guy against a tiny DB??? See Andre Johnson have a LB bounce off of him like the dude with Arizona!!! (see: someone whose avatar loses me right now! Sorry). I'll *EDIT* in a minute.

*EDIT*

It was my cat (and kinda who I was leaning towards) The guy to lazy too masturbate, Dutchrudder!!

chicagotexan2
10-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Ok I KNOW Schaub is not athletic of fleet afoot, but does he ever scramble or roll out laterally or toward positive yardage instead of drifting backwards? I know you are trying to run away from the D, but why is it that as soon as he gets any pressure he fades backwards? Then he throws off the backfoot withour any zip or just gets pounced on like a newborn wilderbeast. After seeing the replay I am convinced that he would not have made it without making a juke or running over the DB which I doubt he wanted to do. Cokc-eyed Jones didn't help matters either.

Steal Your Face
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Hell yeah he would've scored. A 6'-5 241lb guy against a tiny DB??? See Andre Johnson have a LB bounce off of him like the dude with Arizona!!! (see: someone whose avatar loses me right now! Sorry). I'll *EDIT* in a minute.

*EDIT*

It was my cat (and kinda who I was leaning towards) The guy to lazy too masturbate, Dutchrudder!!

Tyvon Branch (Raiders #33) may be smallish and a little lacking in coverage but he is a punishing and sure tackler. He is also one of the 3-5 fastest Raiders. No way in this world that Schaub outruns him to the pylon and no way Schaub runs through him into the endzone. On top of that, Tommy Kelly (Raiders #93) is approaching fast from the right and would have smothered any effort to cut back.

Bottom line here ... the Raider line surge blew up the Texan OL and flushed Schaub out of the pocket. The Raiders man-to-man coverage blanketed Texan receivers. Once the pocket was crushed and all receivers were blanketed, Raiders D went after Schaub and totally snuffed out the play. What's more, the Raiders did it with 10 defenders.

You can second guess the decisions all day but there was nothing that Schaub could have done that would have a realistic chance of a different outcome. A hard-fought game came down to the last play and the Raiders 10 men whipped the Texans 11.

thunderkyss
10-13-2011, 08:17 AM

Looks like he had Jacoby for a second but was looking for Walter who was covered, should have thrown it way.

Hindsight is 20/20 the offense played pretty sub-par and nobody stepped up to make a play.

I think it's obvious he had no idea that safety was there. To make that decision to run then immediately decide not to run, you have to question what he saw pre-snap & how he accounted for that safety in his head
At that frame in that picture, had he setup again instead of breaking to run, he had Jacoby where there is no way Jacoby could screw it up... maybe, then he'd still have time to throw it away if he didn't like it.
To me it looked as if Walter & OD were run blocking for him... WTF were they thinking?
Other than the five OLmen that screwed the pooch on that player, we've got two WRs, a TE, and a QB that botched the hell out of that play. I've never used the "unprepared" card against this team, but I can't see how not to use it in this situation.
When they safety moved up, why didn't Walter head for the Pylon?

speedfreek
10-13-2011, 09:44 AM
negatory.

schwab gets crumpled at the 3, no where close to the endzone

TJ

foo82
10-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Yea, no way he could have made it...but just once I would like to see him lower his shoulder and use his size to overpower a db...

Double Barrel
10-13-2011, 01:36 PM
While hindsight is always 20/20, and sitting at our cpu's analyzing slow motion and screen shots of a 7 seconds is much easier than, you know, actually being on the field running for your life trying to win a game...

I think the one thing that disappoints me is the lack of situational awareness in our QB. I don't blame him for being slow - that has been a fact established for years - and I don't blame JJ for sucking - that has been a fact established for years - but I think the difference between an 'elite' QB and an 'average' QB is not physical talent but rather the mental fortitude to make split-second decisions under pressure.

Dude should have recognized good coverage and the play was being forced away from it's designed goal to the right, and just thrown it away immediately. Brady, Brees, Manning, Rogers, would have made that decision, which is one of the reasons why they are considered 'elite'.

I refuse to put the whole game on Schaub. They would not have been in position if not for his play, and when you see the game as a whole, there were stupid mistakes being made by many players on the team that helped seal the loss.

Texaninlild
10-13-2011, 01:44 PM

I thought I saw Owen open with the defender shielded to his backside if Matt would have seen him and thrown more quickly.