PDA

View Full Version : The mad at Schaub thread

c10x
10-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Title says it all.

panamamyers
10-09-2011, 03:38 PM
We're just a qb away from being a real threat.
We have the most anti-clutch qb in the league, bar none.:toropalm:

LikeMike
10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
As much as I want to agree with you right now - this one is really not only on Schaub, it is just as much on the O-Line and the playcalling.

CretorFrigg
10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Matt Schaub's 40 time...

...9.2 seconds.

jtexas
10-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Wide open run... yet he is slower than shit.

Big Lou
Unless we go 16-0 fire Schaub.

Just stop the fire Schaub nonsense. He shouldn't have been in that position.

Kimmy
I guess he won't be taking calls again tomorrow ...

panamamyers
10-09-2011, 03:41 PM
As much as I want to agree with you right now - this one is really not only on Schaub, it is just as much on the O-Line and the playcalling.

Same thing people said when defending David Carr.
You just can't get the stink of a loser out of this team as long as you have a loser at qb. Schaub is a loser, plain and simple. Always has been since he has been here, always will be for his remaining tenure here.

Football isn't just dumb luck. You don't get bad luck in the clutch every time on accident. You earn it with a loser at qb.

Malloy
10-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Bleh... He's not fast by any accounts, but the 6 yards was his to run.

He had the win in his hands, no other way to see it. We might ha had a shitty O-line and doubious play-calling... but... 6 yards on the run... come on :/

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Foster was wide open in the endzone too, oh well looks like we'll be 3-3 and then AJ will be back. Mario sure dont need to miss any time.

panamamyers

Just stop the fire Schaub nonsense. He shouldn't have been in that position.

He put himself in that position with the interception early, the poor passes on 3rd down when he doesn't step into the throw, the missed shotgun snap at the end there that cost us 13 yards. Snap was right to him. He came up with a new way to choke a game away.

HTown2ATX
I guess he won't be taking calls again tomorrow ...

Lol.....fricking Vandy would get his panties tied up if anyone said anything bad on the air anyway.

Mr teX
10-09-2011, 03:43 PM
He put himself in that position with the interception early, the poor passes on 3rd down when he doesn't step into the throw, the missed shotgun snap at the end there that cost us 13 yards. Snap was right to him. He came up with a new way to choke a game away.

u see people would actually listen to u if didnt make stupid statements like this..

Malloy
10-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Ok... I brought out the whisky, time for the positive spin of the week.

The entire AFC SOuth lost tonight, so we're in the same position as last week

I'm taking a day off TT, take care y'all :)

WolverineFan
10-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Never been a fan of his, he's a straight up b!tch IMO. Those in the fanbase enamored with him are only so because he's the best QB the franchise has had. Not that hard to be better than Carr. Team is a real HC and QB away from playoff noise.

XI CMURDER IX
10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Someone needs to take a look at the lack of offensive line play that happened today.

LikeMike
10-09-2011, 03:45 PM
Same thing people said when defending David Carr.
You just can't get the stink of a loser out of this team as long as you have a loser at qb. Schaub is a loser, plain and simple. Always has been since he has been here, always will be for his remaining tenure here.

Football isn't just dumb luck. You don't get bad luck in the clutch every time on accident. You earn it with a loser at qb.

Today he was hurried, hit and sacked - D-Line tipped pass after pass - our WR corps is pretty bad without AJ - our 2nd and 3d HBs were injured, couldn`t really get the running game going - Kubiak didn`t even call a run in the 4th if I remember correctly. Sure it`s excuses, and sure he had a bad game. But drafting a QB would mean going into major rebuilding mode right now... let`s get to the playoffs first and see what this team can do, before we actually talk about kicking our QB.

PhilpW
10-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Schaub pulls a Romo, great stats, can't lead a team to victory.

tedr
10-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Although that was a pretty bad throw, it's only because he made a great throw to Dreessen that we were in that position anyway. I blame the failure of the last drive on the coaching staff who left Brisiel in there with a bum leg and Chris Myers, who I don't know what was thinking with that snap.

Even without Andre, this should have been a win. But hey, we should all know there's no such thing as a sure thing with the Texans.

Jottoz
10-09-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm more pissed off at Rackers for missing a makable FG and Vickers for dropping a walk-in touchdown. There is definitely enough blame to go around....

Tailgate
10-09-2011, 03:47 PM
So anyone think the Saints will just hand us over Brees? Or maybe Philly will want to part ways with Vick now? Maybe Rogers will go on strike until the Pack eventually let him come here on his own will. Other than that, why make a big friggin fuss over Schaub? He is what he is, a top 15-10 QB, like the rest of em.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 03:50 PM
YOu guys are being so fickle man. Had Schaub ran it in like he should have everyone in here would be on this guy's jock and praising him. One play or just a few plays shouldn't define a guy that so many in here called a top 10 QB all before this game. We're 3-2. We're not 1-4. Every team can't have a top 5 QB. Schaub made a damn nice play to get us in position to win it at the end without AJ in there. He also threw what should have been a TD pass to Vickers earlier in the drive before that. Vickers drops the ball and we get a FG instead. Had Vickers made that play, all we would have needed to do at the end of the game was kicked an easy FG from close distance and we win. This wasn't all on Schaub. Sure, he's not the best QB in the league, but he's pretty good. The Texans as a team need to stop putting Schaub in all these situations to where he has to be that guy to win it for them at the very end of the game. He is in these positions all to often, and he is simply not good enough to be that consistent as a clutch guy that many times and most QB's in this league aren't. Only a hand full of them are. This game wasn't all on Schaub.

JVL713
There's a reason he was considered "the best backup in the league."

Norg
Bench him lets got with teh other Matt :koolaid:

J/k guys its not time to Crumble just yet Teh season is still young

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 03:51 PM
YOu guys are being so fickle man. Had Schaub ran it in like he should have everyone in here would be on this guy's jock and praising him. One play or just a few plays shouldn't define a guy that so many in here called a top 10 QB all before this game. We're 3-2. We're not 1-4. Every team can't have a top 5 QB. Schaub made a damn nice play to get us in position to win it at the end without AJ in there. He also threw what should have been a TD pass to Vickers earlier in the drive before that. Vickers drops the ball and we get a FG instead. Had Vickers made that play, all we would have needed to do at the end of the game was kicked an easy FG from close distance and we win. This wasn't all on Schaub. Sure, he's not the best QB in the league, but he's pretty good. The Texans as a team need to stop putting Schaub in all these situations to where he has to be that guy to win it for them at the very end of the game. He is in these positions all to often, and he is simply not good enough to be that consistent as a clutch guy that many times and most QB's in this league aren't. Only a hand full of them are. This game wasn't all on Schaub.

as mad and upset as i am at the moment i have to agree with this.

DX-TEX
10-09-2011, 03:51 PM

Thats the point. It was obvious to everyone he should have done that!

Wolf
10-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm more pissed off at Rackers for missing a makable FG and Vickers for dropping a walk-in touchdown. There is definitely enough blame to go around....

this

rackers makes his, then we kick a field goal at the end and win it..

eriadoc
10-09-2011, 03:53 PM
Schaub has not really been good this year. He's had stretches of time when he's been unstoppable, but he's counterbalanced those with stretches of complete ineptitude. For all the grief he's taken over the years (most of it unjustified), he's kind of deserving it this year. Yeah, I know .... stats this, yardage that, blah blah blah. My eyes tell me that his good halves of football this year haven't been as good as his good halves last year and his bad halves are worse. You can justify many of his bad moments this season in a vacuum, but taken as a whole, he's just not as good this year.

Never mind that he and the entire offense can't seem to string together four consecutive quarters of good football.

TexCanada
10-09-2011, 03:53 PM

I agree with pretty much everything except the bolded. A few plays is what makes the difference between a Schaub and a Brees.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 03:54 PM
There's a reason he was considered "the best backup in the league."

THis is just ridiculous. He's been on the top ten level the last few seasons and has put up solid numbers. To suggest that he's just some "back up" type of material after what he has proven over the last few seasons is asinine.

brakos82
10-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Schaub's just a small piece of the pie of crap we got in this game. Allen, Jones, Vickers, the O-Line, everybody gets a piece!

TexanSam
10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
This should be titled the "mad at the offense" thread. Schaub definitely deserves blame, but so does the rest of the offense. Offensive line was embarrassed both in run blocking and pass protection. Jacoby couldn't do a damn thing. Vickers dropped a wide open TD pass.

About the only guys who did show up were Dreessen and Owen Daniels.

TexCanada
10-09-2011, 03:56 PM
Schaub's just a small piece of the pie of crap we got in this game. Allen, Vickers, the O-Line, everybody gets a piece!

Agreed, Allen and the O-line are the goats of this game.

ziggy29
10-09-2011, 03:56 PM
YOu guys are being so fickle man. Had Schaub ran it in like he should have everyone in here would be on this guy's jock and praising him. One play or just a few plays shouldn't define a guy that so many in here called a top 10 QB all before this game.

One play shouldn't, I agree. But even had Schaub run it in -- or even squeeze it in for a game-winning TD pass to someone -- I'd say "nice save," "good job on coming through when it mattered most" -- but ALL of the other concerns would still be there.

The bottom line is that other than Tony Romo, I don't think of another NFL quarterback who could regularly put up what look like "borderline elite" QB stats but have a tendency to not come when it matters most. Some of that I put on the play calling; I think the tendency to shut the playbook and go with high percentage plain-vanilla offense makes it harder to execute since the defense knows to expect that from a Kubiak team.

The problem is this: Had Schaub come through there you might not see the disgust we see now. But then if we still did find stuff to criticize all the "sunshine and rainbows" folks would take the critics to task for "complaining about a win."

Win or lose, I want the team work on its weaknesses so they can get better each week. Sugar-coating everything won't do that. And the truth, IMO, is that Schaub has the "emptiest" 400 yard passing days I've ever seen. His stats are often Top 10. The parts of his game that can make the difference between winning and losing the close ones, nope.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I agree with pretty much everything except the bolded. A few plays is what makes the difference between a Schaub and a Brees.

Okay he isn't Brees. Anyone whomever thought that he was Brees was fooling themselves and fell on their head at some point. But, Brees is a top 4 QB in this league. Are we going to act like he's a disaster because he's not Drew Brees?? There are about 28 other teams around this league that don't have a player as good as Drew Brees either. Brees will be a HOF as well. If we're going to piss and moan because are guy isn't HOF material, then we don't deserve a good QB in the least bit if that's the case. I put the blame way more on coaching and the entire team than I do our QB.

panamamyers
If he would have ran it in or thrown the ball away more quickly to get another down, then sure no one would be mad. But then again, had he done those thing, he wouldn't be Matt Schaub.

It shouldn't come down to that is all I hear about it.....
Well it did come down to that, and he failed.

DX-TEX
Schaub's just a small piece of the pie of crap we got in this game. Allen, Jones, Vickers, the O-Line, everybody gets a piece!

Agreed and it will NEVER change. NEVER.

utahmark
Thats the point. It was obvious to everyone he should have done that!

No way he would of made it, watch the replay!

DX-TEX
10-09-2011, 03:58 PM
No way he would of made it, watch the replay!

Then throw it away with a couple seconds left not try a risky ass pass.

brakos82
10-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Then throw it away with a couple seconds left not try a risky ass pass.
Think the clock had already hit 0:00

TexanSam
10-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Random question, would you guys trade Schaub for Tony Romo?

Romo's the only QB I can think of who's on the same level as Schaub. Can look great, but then does something stupid almost every game. The only think Romo has going is that he can scramble a little bit while Schaub make Drew Bledsoe look like Michael Vick.

Mr teX
10-09-2011, 04:00 PM

when i agree with texecutioner, u guys know you're making idiotic comments

panamamyers
10-09-2011, 04:01 PM
If Rackers had made that field goal, the remainder of the game would have played out completely differently. And Schaub would have found an alternate way to choke it away.

TexCanada
10-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Okay he isn't Brees. Anyone whomever thought that he was Brees was fooling themselves and fell on their head at some point. But, Brees is a top 4 QB in this league. Are we going to act like he's a disaster because he's not Drew Brees?? There are about 28 other teams around this league that don't have a player as good as Drew Brees either. Brees will be a HOF as well. If we're going to piss and moan because are guy isn't HOF material, then we don't deserve a good QB in the least bit if that's the case. I put the blame way more on coaching and the entire team than I do our QB.

I didn't mean to say that I thought you or anyone else thought he was Brees. I agree with you in that Schaub is a very solid QB, but a QB that can't carry a whole damn team all the time. My point was just that a few plays in each game IS what defines players. This team will never make a deep run unless either he cleans up those few plays, or we get a top 5 defense.

Porky
10-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I'll just post what I said in the gameday thread, and oh ya Matt sucks. Let me add that for emphasis.

Schaub's indecisiveness killed that play. It's the last freaking play of the game. When he saw the opening to the end zone if he had just committed to going for it, I believe there is at least a 90% chance he makes it. But Matt hates running, he truly HATES it. Once he hesitated, Huff filled the gap, and by that point it's probably more like a 25% chance he makes it but that is still better than the crap he threw.

Matt STUNK in this game, I mean STUNK. Six tipped balls, poor decisions, holding the ball to long, taking unnecessary sacks, really poor throws, indecisiveness, and not making the plays when they were there. If he runs and commits, the Texans still win one on the last play - but he didn't. He SUCKED this game, one of his poorest efforts since being a Texan when the team needed him most.

It's time to start facing facts. Schaub is an average QB at best that looks better at times because of the array of talent around him, but he cannot, I repeat, cannot, put a team on his shoulders when the chips are down.

TexCanada
10-09-2011, 04:03 PM

Romo's the only QB I can think of who's on the same level as Schaub. Can look great, but then does something stupid almost every game. The only think Romo has going is that he can scramble a little bit while Schaub make Drew Bledsoe look like Michael Vick.

No, Romo sucks. I think the list of QBs I'd take over Schaub probably has less then 10 people on it.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM

Funny you mention Romo because Romo is exactly the level of QB I've put Schaub on for years. Romo isn't near as bad as people make him out to be either. The media just highlights everything about him though. Eli Manning is sort of the same as well. Those guys aren't bad QB's to have. You can win with them, but you can't "always" expect guys on that tier to be the hero of the game and put their teams on their back to win. There are only going to be a few Brady/Manning/Rodgers/Brees types of QB's. WIth guys on the level of Romo/Schaub/Eli, you've got to have the defense and the running game carry you consistently as well. Schaub has never been the big problem with this team though. He's one of the brighter spots I'd say, but to much weight can't be on his shoulders. He'll never be an elite guy.

Webbster
10-09-2011, 04:06 PM
The Texans didn't deserve to win. The whole team played poorly from the Head Coach down. (to use nice words)!!!

ziggy29
10-09-2011, 04:07 PM
No, Romo sucks. I think the list of QBs I'd take over Schaub probably has less then 10 people on it.

Romo puts up Schaub-like numbers but implodes down the stretch even more than Schaub.

Having said that, I'd like to see Schaub run an offense which didn't swallow half of its playbook in the last 20 minutes of the game. That doesn't make his job any easier, since the defenses know Kubiak has that tendency in his play calling.

ziggy29
10-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Funny you mention Romo because Romo is exactly the level of QB I've put Schaub on for years. Romo isn't near as bad as people make him out to be either. The media just highlights everything about him though. Eli Manning is sort of the same as well. Those guys aren't bad QB's to have. You can win with them, but you can't "always" expect guys on that tier to be the hero of the game and put their teams on their back to win.

Maybe, but I don't think Eli fails in the clutch as much as Schaub, and ***definitely*** not as much as Romo.

Honoring Earl 34
10-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Matt Schaub's 40 time...

...9.2 seconds.

Down hill of course .

Dishman
10-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Title says it all.

should I be checking this thread for an interesting debate on the state of our QB or to keep checking out that avatar?

Norg
10-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Maybe, but I don't think Eli fails in the clutch as much as Schaub, and ***definitely*** not as much as Romo.

Yeah cause Eli acctually Won da SUperbowl

Wolf
10-09-2011, 04:14 PM
just watched the replay

Schaub would NOT have made it.. raider defender was at the goal line heading for schaub.

Jacoby needed to reverse his field and head the same direction as Schaub

still was a custer *******

Naiirb
10-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Watching the last play again Schaub didn't even give JJ a shot at the ball. Threw it right into the raiders hands. Throw it up or something and put a little air so you at least give the receiver a chance. So frustrating

Maddict5
10-09-2011, 04:16 PM
schaub didnt play v well but he didnt cost us the game

on that last play, the only thing he shouldve done that didnt thrown it into the ground with 2-3 secs left when it was obvious no1 was open and he wouldnt make it by running. still you'd think some1 could get open in a 7-8 sec play but ive rewatched it & nothing there

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 04:17 PM

on that last play, the only thing he shouldve done that didnt thrown it into the ground with 2-3 secs left when it was obvious no1 was open and he wouldnt make it by running. still you'd think some1 could get open in a 7-8 sec play but ive rewatched it & nothing there

You're typing contradictions ....

RTP2110
10-09-2011, 04:18 PM

I agree

With 7 seconds you have to get two plays off. On the first play if its not there quickly, throw it out of the back of the endzone

nero THE zero
10-09-2011, 04:22 PM

Name another game those guys blew. Because I can rattle off a list of games that Schaub has played a large part in choking away, including this one.

He's great at managing a game when the team around him is playing well, but if you want him to carry the team to victory you're going to come away disappointed most of the time.

TimeKiller
10-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Well, at least the big game ending heartbreak INT is out of the way. And they're still 3-2.

Definitely giving it a big "same old shit" but I wouldn't put it on him solely.

jtexas
10-09-2011, 04:29 PM
I hope vickers lets schaub punch him in the nuts for dropping that ball.

gwallaia
10-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Schaub's utterly stupid blunder on the last play of the game is a career-defining play. That is Schaub for you in a nutshell. The game is on the line, he has a chance to win it, but instead he hesitates, makes the wrong decision and ruins everyone's Hispanic Heritage Day.

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Schaub's utterly stupid blunder on the last play of the game is a career-defining play. That is Schaub for you in a nutshell. The game is on the line, he has a chance to win it, but instead he hesitates, makes the wrong decision and ruins everyone's Hispanic Heritage Day.

Schaub lost the game because he was still always looking for AJ. Before next game, someone should sit him down and emphasize that AJ is not an option.:rake:

brakos82
10-09-2011, 06:25 PM
Well, at least the big game ending heartbreak INT is out of the way. And they're still 3-2.

Definitely giving it a big "same old shit" but I wouldn't put it on him solely.

So we still have the sack-fumble and dropped pass to go!

Brisco_County
10-09-2011, 06:27 PM
As late as last season, I was still defending Schaub as being on his way to elite status. And as recently as the New Orleans game two weeks ago, I suddenly saw evidence that aligned everything I know about him into a conclusion that is very uncomfortable and difficult to acknowledge.

Basically, Schaub is damaged goods and has reached his ceiling. His stats are better than ever, but he crumbles when the game is on the line. I saw a glimpse of this last season when we played the Ravens on MNF. The pick-six in OT is not a mistake that championship caliber quarterbacks make. He will lead the team to the border of the promised land, then seal their defeat.

The moment my mind changed was when Schaub took a dive in the 4th quarter against the Saints when he had plenty of space to escape. Normally, I think taking the dive is a smart play, but that instance was another sample of an increasing pattern of freaking out while under pressure.

When the pocket collapses, a championship quarterback scrambles, improvises, and plays the hand he's dealt-- think Brees, Rodgers, and Manning. Schaub? He won't scramble. He's been throwing at feet, taking unnecessary dives, and forcing it to covered players for an interception.

It's sad to say, but the frequency of this is increasing. Personally, I can't say I would be very cool-headed when a 270 lbs athlete is about to transfer a 2000 lbs shockwave of kinetic energy through my body, but we need Schaub to be that guy-- and he is not anymore.

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Schaub is what he is. I eventually stopped getting mad at David Carr for being incapable of meeting the expectations we had of him and I'm reaching that point with Schaub. He's a very good starter with some basic limitations. I think we should be looking to upgrade the position but I'm not prepared to just throw him out the door without someone better (or at least potentially better) ready to step in.

Look, if you like Matt Schaub there's nothing wrong with you. If you think that he's just a few breaks away from being a Brees/Brady/Manning then you're a little deluded. We have seen the very best Matt Schaub has to offer. If you think otherwise then you're mistaken. Ask yourself "Are you satisfied with what you've seen from Matt Schaub?"

I'm not. We've seen pretty good QB play from him but he's a mistake waiting to happen when the pressure is on.

But it doesn't help that we've got NOBODY to step in when AJ is down. Going into 2011 without a legitimate #2 when all those options were available is as bad a mistake as going into 2010 with a bunch of rookie CB's was.

Brisco_County
10-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Schaub is what he is. I eventually stopped getting mad at David Carr for being incapable of meeting the expectations we had of him and I'm reaching that point with Schaub. He's a very good starter with some basic limitations. I think we should be looking to upgrade the position but I'm not prepared to just throw him out the door without someone better (or at least potentially better) ready to step in.

Look, if you like Matt Schaub there's nothing wrong with you. If you think that he's just a few breaks away from being a Brees/Brady/Manning then you're a little deluded. We have seen the very best Matt Schaub has to offer. If you think otherwise then you're mistaken. Ask yourself "Are you satisfied with what you've seen from Matt Schaub?"

I'm not. We've seen pretty good QB play from him but he's a mistake waiting to happen when the pressure is on.

But it doesn't help that we've got NOBODY to step in when AJ is down. Going into 2011 without a legitimate #2 when all those options were available is as bad a mistake as going into 2010 with a bunch of rookie CB's was.

I agree with all of this. It's also on Kubiak that we renewed a useless (first time I've described him that way) Jacoby Jones instead of paying the same money for Plaxico.

I am convinced about two basic truths about this offense:

1) If you rely on smaller/faster linemen, you must have a QB that can scramble when they get out-physicalled (yes, I just coined that term).

2) Your offense should never rely on two or three skill players to succeed. Think Packers, Saints, Giants.

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 06:58 PM

Great post, Hervoyel.

You should know what to expect from Schaub by now:

TDs>>>>>>>>>>>9 (2011)>>>>>>>>>>92 (career)

INTs>>>>>>>>>>5 (2011)>>>>>>>>>>57 (career)

disaacks3
10-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Just stop the fire Schaub nonsense. He shouldn't have been in that position. You're right, he should have not over/under/sideways-thrown his receivers the entire 3rd quarter.

Lol.....fricking Vandy would get his panties tied up if anyone said anything bad on the air anyway. He better brace his arse for this week.

I hope vickers lets schaub punch him in the nuts for dropping that ball. No Joke...If this was high school, that guy would be running laps AFTER the game.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Personally I think that if Schaub runs that ball in and wins the game there is a different thread about Schaub where so many on this board are talking about him like he is John Wayne or Sparticus. He screws up in a very close game where he threw for over 400 yards and instead he's talked about and compared to David Carr of all people.

A lot of you guys need to get over the fact that Schaub isn't an elite QB. So what. If you ever thought he was on the level of Brees, Rodgers, or Rivers, then you were drinking to much Texans Kool Aid and overrating the guy. He is still pretty good and one of the brighter spots on this team. Maybe if the HC and other players of this team could play better football all around the board Schaub wouldn't always be in so many situations where he is forced to either be the big hero or the big zero.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Personally I think that if Schaub runs that ball in and wins the game there is a different thread about Schaub where so many on this board are talking about him like he is John Wayne or Sparticus. He screws up in a very close game where he threw for over 400 yards and instead he's talked about and compared to David Carr of all people.

A lot of you guys need to get over the fact that Schaub isn't an elite QB. So what. If you ever thought he was on the level of Brees, Rodgers, or Rivers, then you were drinking to much Texans Kool Aid and overrating the guy. He is still pretty good and one of the brighter spots on this team. Maybe if the HC and other players of this team could play better football all around the board Schaub wouldn't always be in so many situations where he is forced to either be the big hero or the big zero.

Great post i agree 100%

Brisco_County
10-09-2011, 07:11 PM

True, but to win a championship, I'm convinced we need another QB.

I'm normally the guy that defends him, but I've seen enough by now.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 07:18 PM
True, but to win a championship, I'm convinced we need another QB.

I'm normally the guy that defends him, but I've seen enough by now.

How could you be so convinced that we need another QB to win a SB, but not convinced that we need another coach??? I'm at a loss there, because coaching has been a waaaaaayyy bigger problem with this franchise in the Kubiak/Schaub era than what the QB play has been from Schaub. Do you want to see Kubiak running this team with some rookie or some guy like Garrard?

And what are you suggesting we do than?? get rid of Schaub after this season? And how do you expect to find another QB right now when this team is in their window of opportunity to win now?? Where is this QB going to come from? The Texans aren't going to lose so badly to where they can get Andrew Luck if they went with the draft. Where are you going to find someone better in free agency or by trade?? What team in their right mind would give us a QB they have that is already better than Schaub? I can't think of any. So you'd have to draft some rookie and wait for him to develop. By that time AJ is old and maybe demanding a trade and who knows what's going on with this team, and you never even know with a rookie if he'd be better than Schaub because Schaub is a guy that's a top 10 type of QB.

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Great post, Hervoyel.

You should know what to expect from Schaub by now:

TDs>>>>>>>>>>>9 (2011)>>>>>>>>>>92 (career)

INTs>>>>>>>>>>5 (2011)>>>>>>>>>>57 (career)

Fumbles 2011 = 1
Career 33

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Well so what are you suggesting than?? get rid of him after this season? And how do you expect to find another QB right now when this team is in their window of opportunity to win now?? Where is this QB going to come from? The Texans aren't going to lose so badly to where they can get Andrew Luck if they went with the draft. Where are you going to find someone better in free agency or by trade?? What team in their right mind would give us a QB they have that is already better than Schaub? I can't think of any. So you'd have to draft some rookie and wait for him to develop. By that time AJ is old and maybe demanding a trade and who knows what's going on with this team, and you never even know with a rookie if he'd be better than Schaub because Schaub is a guy that's a top 10 type of QB.

And this is why it sucks to be us ....

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 07:22 PM

We're 3-2 for now and in an awful division. This team can still turn things around possibly.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 07:23 PM

NOT REALLY, just think a few years ago we wouldnt of been able to have these arguments. Atleast we are competing now, i remember not so long ago we were so bad that it was almost comical. Now we have a shot, and even after today we still have a shot.

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 07:28 PM
It's not a "Fire Schaub" kind of thing. It's a case of always being on the lookout for the next Texans QB because he's better but the position still needs to get better. Schaub has "improved" since arriving here from Atlanta but he's not improving anymore and frankly he's starting to look like one of those college "system quarterbacks" who are really great in a system they know inside out but when you take them out of their element they fall apart. Maybe that's not the best analogy but there's something going on here. He's not the borderline elite QB he appears to be some of the time. I think that's just a side effect of throwing to AJ.

Take AJ away from him and he starts looking pretty ordinary. Put the game on his shoulders after taking AJ away from him and it gets worse. This league doesn't stop changing. Everyone can and eventually will be upgraded.

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 07:28 PM
NOT REALLY, just think a few years ago we wouldnt of been able to have these arguments. Atleast we are competing now, i remember not so long ago we were so bad that it was almost comical. Now we have a shot, and even after today we still have a shot.

The logical part of me wants to agree with you. The emotional part of me wants to burn down the stadium right now.

I have been waving that Texans flag for so long, major hope. They really lost me last year. I just felt like that dog who couldn't get kicked anymore.

I came back, as I always have. But honestly, I just don't know how much more I can handle. I am so utterly sick of the "coulda, woulda, shoulda's".

Told my husband earlier, take someone else with you to the rest of the games & we'll sell our other set. I'm just *this close* to being over it.

BTW - anyone know a good tattoo remover? :gun:

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 07:29 PM
We're 3-2 for now and in an awful division. This team can still turn things around possibly.

Being the cream of the crop in the suck division isn't my idea of turning things around.

Brisco_County
10-09-2011, 07:30 PM
How could you be so convinced that we need another QB to win a SB, but not convinced that we need another coach??? I'm at a loss there, because coaching has been a waaaaaayyy bigger problem with this franchise in the Kubiak/Schaub era than what the QB play has been from Schaub. Do you want to see Kubiak running this team with some rookie or some guy like Garrard?

And what are you suggesting we do than?? get rid of Schaub after this season? And how do you expect to find another QB right now when this team is in their window of opportunity to win now?? Where is this QB going to come from? The Texans aren't going to lose so badly to where they can get Andrew Luck if they went with the draft. Where are you going to find someone better in free agency or by trade?? What team in their right mind would give us a QB they have that is already better than Schaub? I can't think of any. So you'd have to draft some rookie and wait for him to develop. By that time AJ is old and maybe demanding a trade and who knows what's going on with this team, and you never even know with a rookie if he'd be better than Schaub because Schaub is a guy that's a top 10 type of QB.

To answer your first question, I think we need a new HC too, but this thread is about the quarterback.

As for your second question, the answer is: I don't know. The Bills found Fitzpatrick, but maybe there is no one else out there and we're stuck with what we have. Either way, Schaub is not going to win a Superbowl for us.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 07:31 PM
The logical part of me wants to agree with you. The emotional part of me wants to burn down the stadium right now.

I have been waving that Texans flag for so long, major hope. They really lost me last year. I just felt like that dog who couldn't get kicked anymore.

I came back, as I always have. But honestly, I just don't know how much more I can handle. I am so utterly sick of the "coulda, woulda, shoulda's".

Told my husband earlier, take someone else with you to the rest of the games & we'll sell our other set. I'm just *this close* to being over it.

BTW - anyone know a good tattoo remover? :gun:

i feel your pain i truly do, i am sick and tired of these heart breaking loses. BUT i know that we have a lot of season left, and that despite the bad taste in my mouth right now after this loss, that we are a solid team and we will have way more good weeks this season than we do bad.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 07:33 PM
It's not a "Fire Schaub" kind of thing. It's a case of always being on the lookout for the next Texans QB because he's better but the position still needs to get better. Schaub has "improved" since arriving here from Atlanta but he's not improving anymore and frankly he's starting to look like one of those college "system quarterbacks" who are really great in a system they know inside out but when you take them out of their element they fall apart. Maybe that's not the best analogy but there's something going on here. He's not the borderline elite QB he appears to be some of the time. I think that's just a side effect of throwing to AJ.

Take AJ away from him and he starts looking pretty ordinary. Put the game on his shoulders after taking AJ away from him and it gets worse. This league doesn't stop changing. Everyone can and eventually will be upgraded.

How do you suppose we upgrade Schaub's position without it taking several years to do it though?? The 49ers and the Dolphins have been trying to upgrade at QB since Steve Young and Marino left there. Upgrading a QB situation can end up taking years and years in many cases where you go through several failed projects to find that guy. I don't think Schaub is near bad to the point of where you risk having to rebuild your franchise and have to wait for several years on another QB. I'd just replace the coaching regime instead.

ziggy29
10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Being the cream of the crop in the suck division isn't my idea of turning things around.
Me neither, but it would be better than being the #2 or #3 team in a strong division, which has happened before.

The most important thing is winning within the division -- in the 9-7 season the Texans were 1-5 in the division and when you do that, you really don't deserve to make the playoffs. Given the weakness in the division this year, there's no excuse for less than *at least* 4-2 in the division if this team wants to sniff the playoffs.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 07:35 PM
How do you suppose we upgrade Schaub's position without it taking several years to do it though?? The 49ers and the Dolphins have been trying to upgrade at QB since Steve Young and Marino left there. Upgrading a QB situation can end up taking years and years in many cases where you go through several failed projects to find that guy. I don't think Schaub is near bad to the point of where you risk having to rebuild your franchise and have to wait for several years on another QB. I'd just replace the coaching regime instead.

OUR replace the #2 WR and back up FB instead ;)

utahmark
10-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Under 2 min left with around 70 yards to go, we get two bad offensive line plays that cost us about a minute off the clock and about 30 yards. He got us to the 5 yard line with a chance to win at the end. Maybe 4 quarterbacks could of done better.

That 15 yard facemask and that bad snap don't happen there is good chance we win that game, neither of which Matt could do anything about.

Lucky
10-09-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd just replace the coaching regime instead.
If the Texans fail to win this year, I'd let the next regime make the call on Schaub. But you're right in that switching QBs is a tough call. Usually, a franchise has to draft a QB and live with the growing pains. Maybe the best plan would be to draft a QB and have him sit behind Schaub for a year.

ziggy29
10-09-2011, 07:40 PM
That 15 yard facemask and that bad snap don't happen there is good chance we win that game, neither of which Matt could do anything about.

I think the facemask turned out to be fairly irrelevant, given that the Texans got a subsequent first down despite it.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 07:42 PM
I think the facemask turned out to be fairly irrelevant, given that the Texans got a subsequent first down despite it.

yeah a first and 25 compared to a 2nd and 15. it still mattered and still took more time off the clock. every second counted

thunderkyss
10-09-2011, 07:43 PM
He's clutch

utahmark
10-09-2011, 07:45 PM

no.. It was 15 yards, we would of been 15 yards farther down the field. Plus whatever time it took of the clock. No way it was irrelevant.

ziggy29
10-09-2011, 07:47 PM
no.. It was 15 yards, we would of been 15 yards farther down the field. Plus whatever time it took of the clock. No way it was irrelevant.
And gave the Raiders reason to play even softer which may have helped make it easier to convert the first down.

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, folks, just like "if Rackers doesn't miss that FG" the Raiders are a lot less likely to play so soft that the Texans march to their doorstep.

Besides, I said "fairly" irrelevant, not totally -- just saying it wasn't as big a penalty as is being touted here, IMO. Changing the outcome of one play can change how you and your opponent play the rest of the game. To use a baseball analogy, it's like someone hitting a home run after a baserunner is picked off, and people say "if they weren't picked off we'd have another run" -- ignoring that if the runner is still on base, the entire pitch sequence probably changes.

utahmark
10-09-2011, 07:50 PM
And gave the Raiders reason to play even softer which may have helped make it easier to convert the first down.

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, folks, just like "if Rackers doesn't miss that FG" the Raiders are a lot less likely to play so soft that the Texans march to their doorstep.

Besides, I said "fairly" irrelevant, not totally -- just saying it wasn't as big a penalty as is being touted here, IMO.

your right 2 15 yard negative plays and about 1min off the clock couldn't of effected the last drive. It was my imagination, It gets away from me from time to time.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
If the Texans fail to win this year, I'd let the next regime make the call on Schaub. But you're right in that switching QBs is a tough call. Usually, a franchise has to draft a QB and live with the growing pains. Maybe the best plan would be to draft a QB and have him sit behind Schaub for a year.

This is a lot more reasonable. I mean, with another regime maybe they call games to a point that Schaub isn't expected to be the Joe Montana of the Texans. People tend to forget that guys like Hassellback went to a SB, Big Ben won a SB when he wasn't one of the best QB's in the league at the time, Dilfer and Johnson won SB's, Chris Chandlier went to a SB, and so on. Schaub will never be a guy that will carry a team to a SB, but he is easily good enough to be the starter of a team that goes to a SB.

ziggy29
10-09-2011, 07:54 PM
your right 2 15 yard negative plays and about 1min off the clock couldn't of effected the last drive. It was my imagination, It gets away from me from time to time.
Stop exaggerating. I didn't say it had NO impact. Good grief.

Plus I was ONLY talking about the penalty -- not the bad snap. I think that was pretty clear in my remarks if you'd care to read them.

And even then -- again, this stuff has cause and effect -- if there was an extra minute on the clock, the Raiders defense probably doesn't play in as loose a prevent as they did. Maybe we don't convert some of the later first downs.

utahmark
10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
I read you post. but you missed my point. I was saying Schaub had a lot to overcome not just the clock, not just 70 yards, but also an offensive line that was costing us yards and time off the clock. Not many qb's could of done better. :kingkong:

brakos82
10-09-2011, 07:59 PM
This is a lot more reasonable. I mean, with another regime maybe they call games to a point that Schaub isn't expected to be the Joe Montana of the Texans. People tend to forget that guys like Hassellback went to a SB, Big Ben won a SB when he wasn't one of the best QB's in the league at the time, Dilfer and Johnson won SB's, Chris Chandlier went to a SB, and so on. Schaub will never be a guy that will carry a team to a SB, but he is easily good enough to be the starter of a team that goes to a SB.

Stated in another thread, I would love to grab a mid-round QB prospect, in the 3rd, maybe 4th round, let him sit behind Schaub for probably 2 years. Schaub's a top 15 QB... no he's not going to win the super bowl for you like Brees, and he won't go Rosencopter and blow a big lead all by himself. He is what he is.

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 08:00 PM

The 49ers and Dolphins have been making lousy decisions for most of a decade. It can end up taking years but it doesn't always end up taking years.

Replacing the coaching regime always results in player movement. You might very well see a QB change then anyway.

DX-TEX
10-09-2011, 08:05 PM
The 49ers and Dolphins have been making lousy decisions for most of a decade. It can end up taking years but it doesn't always end up taking years.

Replacing the coaching regime always results in player movement. You might very well see a QB change then anyway.

One reason the often rumored Cowher wants to come here is because we have an established starting QB. Cowher isnt coming though, if Kubiak leaves this is Wades team.

The question is would he leep the ZBS and just keep Dennison on? They guy never actually calls a game so maybe he would be good and let Schaub call some plays at the line?

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 08:09 PM

And we haven't? LOL

ziggy29
10-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I read you post. but you missed my point. I was saying Schaub had a lot to overcome not just the clock, not just 70 yards, but also an offensive line that was costing us yards and time off the clock. Not many qb's could of done better. :kingkong:
It's definitely not all on Schaub, not even close. Schaub was erratic at best, the O-line was terrible, JJ was terrible, the coaching was the usual questionable self in the second half.

But in the end you have to make that ONE big play or at least not give the ball away there. "Almost" doesn't count in the NFL, and "almost" leading the Texans to a heroic comeback doesn't count any more than throwing a pick on the first play of the last possession. I'm just saying that one can't look at one bad play or another bad play and assume the rest of the game would have played out the same way if the bad play doesn't happen.

But in this game, ONE bad decision can undo a lot of other good things depending on the timing.

Dishman
10-09-2011, 08:15 PM

With Kubiak coaching we won't be doing the Super Bowl shuffle anytime soon. Hell, we won't even be doing the Shiva Bowl shuffle!:kitten:

chicagotexan2
10-09-2011, 08:20 PM
He's clutch

He runs slower than kosar or a guy with a broken leg. He's not clutch he's crutch. Damn it's hours after the game I'm still seething and snapping at my wife and kids. Why am
I foolish enough to invest my heart into these games when I should know better? I wish he'd just tucked the football in and ran it in as hard as he could. Instead Shaub tucked his lil peepee in and wobbled around like buffalo bill infront of a VHS camcorder and nutted up all over again.

panamamyers
10-09-2011, 08:21 PM
What game were yall watching?
That was NOT a bad snap by any stretch on the last drive. That was Schaub digging down into his bag of choke tricks and coming up with a new one.
It sailed right through his hands.

chicagotexan2
10-09-2011, 08:22 PM
With Kubiak coaching we won't be doing the Super Bowl shuffle anytime soon. Hell, we won't even be doing the Shiva Bowl shuffle!:kitten:

Super bowl shuffle? More like the sex offender shuffle. Look it up on YouTube I'm too pissed and lazy to do so.

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 08:26 PM
I think Leinart is telling him something ....

http://media.khou.com/images/Texans_Raiders_2011_1_Lead.jpg

http://www.khou.com/news/slideshows/Photos-Texans-fall-to-Raiders-131427063.html?gallery=y&c=y&ref=%2Fnews%2Fslideshows

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 08:28 PM
And we haven't? LOL

Oh yes, we have. I'm just saying that it doesn't always have to be that way. The Bengals have been making bad decisions at least as long as we have and they found Dalton. The Lions found Stafford. It's not impossible to upgrade Matt Schaub.

Potential: Reached. Remaining Upside: None. We've seen everything Matt has to show us. Actually I think Kubiak has been looking (quietly) for the next Texans QB for a while now. Zabransky, Brink, Grossman, Orlovsky, and Leinart. Even Yates. I think he's just kind of sifting through the bottom of the draft and in free agency looking for that guy who he can make something out of.

Remember how he basically went one season with David Carr and said "Awww, Hell No!" He was yelling at him in practices and pulling his hair out up to a point and then he just said "**** it" and gave up on him. He figured out that he was never going to get anymore out of Carr inside of a year and as soon as the season was over he went looking for an alternative.

Now, does anybody here think he doesn't see the same frustrating crap from Matt that we all see? The problem here is that we brought Schaub in because he wanted him and we gave up a pair of draft picks for him. Matt Schaub has Gary's name stamped on his ass. He fails and it's on Gary so you don't see that "You been starting since 2006 and you throw that pick?" stuff. No, it's infinite patience with Matt and we'll work that out in practice.

But it's 2011 and we're still throwing picks when the pressure is on. I think Gary knows that Matt's doing the best he can and that it isn't going to get any better. Mark my words, if Schaub gets hammered and misses a few weeks like he did back in 2006-2007 then Leinart is going to get every chance possible to win that job. That's why we brought him back and that's why he was willing to return and be a backup. He's getting good coaching (I never said Kubiak couldn't coach an offense or a QB, just that he's crap as a Head Coach) and he sees a possible opportunity that he'll be prepared to seize if he gets the chance.

Not saying he'll knock our socks off or win the job, just that he might just hang on to that job if he played well enough.

gafftop
10-09-2011, 08:34 PM
This better be the year we make the playoffs because Indy is not STUPID. I think they get LUCK next year and start kicking our butts for another 10 years. I hope I am wrong but..... Anybody else think Schaub is getting worse as far as arm strength and not sure but it sure seems to me he is making weak short passes almost as if he is guiding the ball on those short passes. How old is Schaub? Is he physically wearing down already. As far as today goes I blame the coaching more than Schaub.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 08:38 PM
This better be the year we make the playoffs because Indy is not STUPID. I think they get LUCK next year and start kicking our butts for another 10 years. I hope I am wrong but..... Anybody else think Schaub is getting worse as far as arm strength and not sure but it sure seems to me he is making weak short passes almost as if he is guiding the ball on those short passes. How old is Schaub? Is he physically wearing down already. As far as today goes I blame the coaching more than Schaub.

i think indy is more than just a good Rookie PROSPECT away from being good again, hell peyton is the reason they were good before without him they are nothing, i smell a rebuild coming for the colts in the near future.

Brisco_County
10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Oh yes, we have. I'm just saying that it doesn't always have to be that way. The Bengals have been making bad decisions at least as long as we have and they found Dalton. The Lions found Stafford. It's not impossible to upgrade Matt Schaub.

Potential: Reached. Remaining Upside: None. We've seen everything Matt has to show us. Actually I think Kubiak has been looking (quietly) for the next Texans QB for a while now. Zabransky, Brink, Grossman, Orlovsky, and Leinart. Even Yates. I think he's just kind of sifting through the bottom of the draft and in free agency looking for that guy who he can make something out of.

Remember how he basically went one season with David Carr and said "Awww, Hell No!" He was yelling at him in practices and pulling his hair out up to a point and then he just said "**** it" and gave up on him. He figured out that he was never going to get anymore out of Carr inside of a year and as soon as the season was over he went looking for an alternative.

Now, does anybody here think he doesn't see the same frustrating crap from Matt that we all see? The problem here is that we brought Schaub in because he wanted him and we gave up a pair of draft picks for him. Matt Schaub has Gary's name stamped on his ass. He fails and it's on Gary so you don't see that "You been starting since 2006 and you throw that pick?" stuff. No, it's infinite patience with Matt and we'll work that out in practice.

But it's 2011 and we're still throwing picks when the pressure is on. I think Gary knows that Matt's doing the best he can and that it isn't going to get any better. Mark my words, if Schaub gets hammered and misses a few weeks like he did back in 2006-2007 then Leinart is going to get every chance possible to win that job. That's why we brought him back and that's why he was willing to return and be a backup. He's getting good coaching (I never said Kubiak couldn't coach an offense or a QB, just that he's crap as a Head Coach) and he sees a possible opportunity that he'll be prepared to seize if he gets the chance.

Not saying he'll knock our socks off or win the job, just that he might just hang on to that job if he played well enough.

Again, agreed with everything here.

I think we paid the right price for Schaub at the time, I think we got what we needed out of him, and I think it's time to now start looking for someone else. I'm sure Kubiak has noticed the same increasing pattern of anxiety and mental errors, and I know he had words with him on the sidelines during the 4th quarter of the Saints game. I almost suspect that Schaub is becoming more prone to taking a dive because he's one injury away from giving Leinart a legitimate tryout.

leebigeztx
10-09-2011, 09:35 PM

Yep, he's a qb that needs players to make him vs him making players. Johnson has been better in the west coast offense and with schaub than with carr, but aj is very,very talented. All theother wrs are kinda ordinary and he doesn't elevate them. Last yr minus vjack, river was turning ajitutu,floyd, and anyone else into a probowl wr without a run game. Jacoby has talent, but it seems like there isn't a connection at all and its been a few years. This summer with moss and edwards availible, the texans should've brought in a better talent than jones and walters. For some reason people and coaches think the offense is good enough and its not. 34,23,17,and now 20 pts against one of the worse defenses in the league. 23 against a bad miami defense. That's not a great offense to me.

DocBar
10-09-2011, 09:37 PM
For comparisons sake:
LINK (http://www.nfl.com/player/aaronrodgers/2506363/profile)
LINK (http://www.nfl.com/player/mattschaub/2505982/careerstats)
I'm now of the opinion that we need a new QB.

MEGA SWATT
10-09-2011, 11:47 PM
For comparisons sake:
LINK (http://www.nfl.com/player/aaronrodgers/2506363/profile)
LINK (http://www.nfl.com/player/mattschaub/2505982/careerstats)
I'm now of the opinion that we need a new QB.

Ok, so how do you accomplish that?

RagingBull
10-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Schaub lost the game because he was still always looking for AJ. Before next game, someone should sit him down and emphasize that AJ is not an option.:rake:

Or maybe they could put a big decal of AJ's face on the back of all the receivers helmets...

eriadoc
10-10-2011, 12:11 AM
Ok, so how do you accomplish that?

The same way you get any player - draft or sign one. Schaub's a good QB, though, so you have time to groom one. So either put Yates through the paces and really train him up, or draft a guy you think can learn the next couple years. Just stop ignoring the position.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 09:32 AM
Under 2 min left with around 70 yards to go, we get two bad offensive line plays that cost us about a minute off the clock and about 30 yards. He got us to the 5 yard line with a chance to win at the end. Maybe 4 quarterbacks could of done better.

true...

Dread-Head
10-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Never been a fan of his, he's a straight up b!tch IMO. Those in the fanbase enamored with him are only so because he's the best QB the franchise has had. Not that hard to be better than Carr. Team is a real HC and QB away from playoff noise.

Sorry to get away from topic, but Who is that chick in your avitar? I want to dedicate a religion to her.

The1ApplePie
10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
I was out in the woods all week hunting pig. I'm guessing Matt didn't look so hot without Andre.

Can blame him when his No. 2 and 3 are Kevin Walter and Jacoby Jones

panamamyers
10-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Schaub is your Jon Kitna or Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer or Ken O'Brien or Neil Lomax.

He's not the guy that makes you stop looking for your franchise quarterback. He's the guy that can make you respectable until you can find the franchise quarterback.

Now, if we had the #1 defense in the league like those Ravens or Bucs teams, then sure, he could just steer the bus and not make too many mistakes and we would be ok.

That's not what we have here though, so we actually need to have the qb make the plays to win the games.
You didn't hear Brees crying that his 32 points should have been enough to win. He could have crumbled and people would have said, well he did all he could do. 32 should be enough to win. But 32 would not have been enough that day, so he scored 40.

If we lose, then Schaub did not do enough to win, period.

Cut through the crap about completion percentage. David Carr led the NFL in completion percentage his last year here too. David Carr would look nice through the unimportant parts of the game too if he had this line, Arian Foster and Ben Tate instead of Ron Dayne and Samkon Gado. Walter, Daniels, Dreesen and Casey instead of a rookie Daniels, Jeb Putzier, Vonta LEach and Eric Moulds.

There's not a nickel's worth of difference between Schaub and Carr. They have different stats at the end of the year, because Schaub has such a hugely superior surrounding cast of characters.
Hell, I don't like Carr at all, but he certainly would have run into the end zone yesterday.

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Schaub is your Jon Kitna or Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer or Ken O'Brien or Neil Lomax.

He's not the guy that makes you stop looking for your franchise quarterback. He's the guy that can make you respectable until you can find the franchise quarterback.

Now, if we had the #1 defense in the league like those Ravens or Bucs teams, then sure, he could just steer the bus and not make too many mistakes and we would be ok.

That's not what we have here though, so we actually need to have the qb make the plays to win the games.
You didn't hear Brees crying that his 32 points should have been enough to win. He could have crumbled and people would have said, well he did all he could do. 32 should be enough to win. But 32 would not have been enough that day, so he scored 40.

If we lose, then Schaub did not do enough to win, period.

Cut through the crap about completion percentage. David Carr led the NFL in completion percentage his last year here too. David Carr would look nice through the unimportant parts of the game too if he had this line, Arian Foster and Ben Tate instead of Ron Dayne and Samkon Gado. Walter, Daniels, Dreesen and Casey instead of a rookie Daniels, Jeb Putzier, Vonta LEach and Eric Moulds.

There's not a nickel's worth of difference between Schaub and Carr. They have different stats at the end of the year, because Schaub has such a hugely superior surrounding cast of characters.
Hell, I don't like Carr at all, but he certainly would have run into the end zone yesterday.

Schaub has been better than every one of those QB's on that list. Comparing him to guys like Dilfer and Johnson is just ridiculous. Show me multiple seasons where they had stats like Schaub has put up. You seem to forget that Dilger and Johnson only stayed as starters when they played for the best defenses of all time with the Ravens and the Bucs and even after the Ravens won the freaking SB with Dilfer, they still dumped his ass. Schaub's been playing with trash defenses every season and one of the dumbest HC's in the entire league that should have been fired two seasons ago.

panamamyers
10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
Kitna went for 4200 and 4100 in consecutive years with Detroit with significantly inferior offensive weapons. Then the Lions drafted Stafford, because Kitna is not a franchise qb.

Hell, throw Elvis Grbac and Jake Plummer into the mix. They had good statistical seasons too, but you don't stop looking for a franchise qb when Elvis Grbac is your starting qb.

Tommy Maddox threw for 3400 yards with Pittsburgh, then they turned around and drafted a qb in the first round in the very next draft, because they knew the Tommy Maddoxes and Matt Schaubs of the world don' get you to the promised land.

The Arizona game of 2009 was when I first became sure of the fact that Schaub didn't have the goods. Going down for the winning score and gift wraps an INT for DRC. That game cost us a playoff spot eventually.

Schaub is the same as Kubiak. We are taking way too long to figure out that the guy does not have it. They keep teasing you with the prospect of success, then they pull the rug out from under you.

infantrycak
10-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Kitna went for 4200 and 4100 in consecutive years with Detroit with significantly inferior offensive weapons. Then the Lions drafted Stafford, because Kitna is not a franchise qb.

Hell, throw Elvis Grbac and Jake Plummer into the mix. They had good statistical seasons too, but you don't stop looking for a franchise qb when Elvis Grbac is your starting qb.

Tommy Maddox threw for 3400 yards with Pittsburgh, then they turned around and drafted a qb in the first round in the very next draft, because they knew the Tommy Maddoxes and Matt Schaubs of the world don' get you to the promised land.

The Arizona game of 2009 was when I first became sure of the fact that Schaub didn't have the goods. Going down for the winning score and gift wraps an INT for DRC. That game cost us a playoff spot eventually.

Schaub is the same as Kubiak. We are taking way too long to figure out that the guy does not have it. They keep teasing you with the prospect of success, then they pull the rug out from under you.

Kitna is a bad comparison. The two years you mention the only stat similarity is yards. His QB rating was 80 both years because he was throwing more picks than TD's. He had a career QB rating of 77.4. Grbac's was 79.6. Plummer's 74.6.

Schaub has warts but these examples are going too far in comparing to Schaub's 93.4. Those guys had some yardage production but made a lot more mistakes.

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Kitna is a bad comparison. The two years you mention the only stat similarity is yards. His QB rating was 80 both years because he was throwing more picks than TD's. He had a career QB rating of 77.4. Grbac's was 79.6. Plummer's 74.6.

Schaub has warts but these examples are going too far in comparing to Schaub's 93.4. Those guys had some yardage production but made a lot more mistakes.

Yeah, I see what you're saying but I think the overall point still holds water. Schaub is not necessarily the final destination you're looking for on your QB search. He can and most likely will be upgraded by most teams eventually. You can probably win with him if a lot of other things go your way but he's not the guy who gives you some kind of overwhelming advantage or makes ordinary players around him better.

I was on YouTube yesterday and came across a lengthy "Matt Schaub Highlights" video. About a minute in I started to think "This isn't a Matt Schaub highlight video, it's an Andre Johnson highlight video". Sure, there were throws to other players mixed in but primarily it was almost all AJ.

What's more if you watch all those highlight TD's most of them are AJ with tons of separation from the CB covering him. A few are AJ doing amazing things like AJ does but the majority are AJ with his man beat. Often you see that common complaint around here where AJ has to slow down to keep from overrunning Schaub's pass. More than a couple are would-be touchdowns if he'd hit AJ in stride.

People talk about QB's and where this guy ranks vs some other guy but really there's only two kinds of QB's. The guys who are elite and everybody else. The distance between the two is immaterial. Schaub is in the "everybody else" group and so is subject to being upgraded at any time.

Dutchrudder
10-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm not mad at Schaub because I didn't expect him to win that game. He was having a terrible day overall. Heck, I thought the drive was over after the 15 yard penalty, but he managed to get us to the 4 yard line. Had we gotten the FG instead of punting from the Raider 38 earlier in the game, we could have won it with another FG from Rackers. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

infantrycak
10-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Had we gotten the FG instead of punting from the Raider 38 earlier in the game, we could have won it with another FG from Rackers. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Or if Rackers hadn't missed the 40 yard field goal.

Dutchrudder
10-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Or if Rackers hadn't missed the 40 yard field goal.

That too. Funny thing about that though, he hit one from 54 and another from 40, but missed that one from 40. Too bad. :(

infantrycak
10-10-2011, 02:32 PM
That too. Funny thing about that though, he hit one from 54 and another from 40, but missed that one from 40. Too bad. :(

As bad as they played yesterday, they get either one of two plays, Rackers missing the field goal or Vickers dropping the pass, and the Texans win that game without AJ and Mario.

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 02:40 PM
As bad as they played yesterday, they get either one of two plays, Rackers missing the field goal or Vickers dropping the pass, and the Texans win that game without AJ and Mario.

Yeah, and on this board Schaub is talked about like he is Sparticus for winning without AJ and leading this team to 4-1. Instead, he is now talked about like he is a bum that needs to be replaced. Funny how things work like that especially with fans that have argued that he was on the cusp of greatness for years to me when I've always stated that he was good but not great. Schaub is constantly put in position way to often to make or break the Texans and he isn't good enough to be that hero all of the time. Doesn't make him a bad QB though.

srrono
10-10-2011, 02:46 PM
I think its funny how people think the Texans can just get a T.Brady or D.Brees. Players like Brady are difficult to find a late round pick thats a hall of famer. Teams usually dont trade away a Brees. On top of that HOU isnt bad enough to get a top 3 pick to get a highly wanted QB that might not be good anyway.

darnbni99a
10-10-2011, 02:57 PM
i'm more pissed off at rackers for missing a makable fg and vickers for dropping a walk-in touchdown. There is definitely enough blame to go around....

I concur 110%.

I'm way more pissed at Rackers and Vickers than Schaub. but everyone knows that QBs in general are almost always the first to get the blame when taking an L.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I think its funny how people think the Texans can just get a T.Brady or D.Brees. Players like Brady are difficult to find a late round pick thats a hall of famer. Teams usually dont trade away a Brees. On top of that HOU isnt bad enough to get a top 3 pick to get a highly wanted QB that might not be good anyway.

If we had an Alex Smith starting for us, we'd still be going through QBs looking for the right one. If we had Kyle Orton, we'd probably had drafted a first round QB by now.

With Schaub... we're done looking. We got Lienart on the bench & everything is peachy.

We wouldn't have won as many games as we have since 2007... but look what that's go us.

srrono
10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
If we had an Alex Smith starting for us, we'd still be going through QBs looking for the right one. If we had Kyle Orton, we'd probably had drafted a first round QB by now.

With Schaub... we're done looking. We got Lienart on the bench & everything is peachy.

We wouldn't have won as many games as we have since 2007... but look what that's go us.

So you would rather go thru an endless merry go round of QBs? An "Elite QB" is hard to find.

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 03:18 PM

That's been a problem of coaching. Not the QB that's been passing for great stats with a horrible defense to help him out.

TheCD
10-10-2011, 04:36 PM

This is an honest question here: Have you ever seen a QB throw the ball in the dirt as much as Schaub?

He's easily, and I mean easily good for 5 balls in the dirt a game in Owen or another TE doesn't make a great play to catch it. What I mean here is throws that should be made, not balls thrown to receivers feet to avoid a sack. I have liked Matt since he got here, but I'm going to be frank...he doesn't have it.

And I say that because you can't tell me you trust Matt to win us a game if need-be. He is always good for that one wtf throw a game. Matt can put up good numbers, but at this point I'm convinced it is scheme and not talent (as evidenced by wide open receivers - even Shannon Sharpe remarked on the Dreesen TD that he was never that open even in pee-wee football).

Give Matt the ball enough and bad things will happen, that's all there is to it. I have no stats to back me up, but I'd be willing to bet that his number of wins after throwing 40+ (possibly even 30) times is very low.

Honoring Earl 34
10-10-2011, 04:40 PM

In 2005 Aaron Rogers was there when we picked but we had that Carr fellow . Those who were mad about not taking VY should chomp on that one for awhile .

srrono
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
ok lets cut Schuab and sign Farve lol

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 04:54 PM
So you would rather go thru an endless merry go round of QBs? An "Elite QB" is hard to find.

Look, there are a hundred ways to skin a cat... As long as that cat is skinless, I don't give a shit. Right now, we've got a furry cat running all over the place.

I'm not one of these, "get rid of Schaub guys." But, I was never in favor of the two 2nd round picks for him. I was definitely not for the big contract before he plays a down for us either. But I think he's played well enough to earn his contract & his spot on this team.

Someone made a comment & I replied.

Schaub is good enough, that you stop looking for a starting QB....

Just like Dunta Robinson was. As long as Dunta was here, the Texans weren't going to be looking for a #1 corner

I blame Schaub most for the loss yesterday. He missed more plays than he made. Not good for a QB.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 04:57 PM
That's been a problem of coaching. Not the QB that's been passing for great stats with a horrible defense to help him out.

If we're talking about last year (especially) I don't agree. Looking back at the stats, it's easy to make your point. But if you remember the games, the ineptitude of this offense until they were down three scores, it's simply not true.

Score early, score often, run the clock out. If you've got a good offense & a poor defense, that should be the goal. We can't come out & spot teams 30 pts a game.

DocBar
10-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Schaub is a product of the system and is a great fit for the system as long as it runs smoothly. It's obviously very easy to mess with Schaubs head and get him rattled.

I've calmed down since yesterday, so I'm not for throwing in the towel on Schaub, but I do agree with others that say we need ypgrades at several positions on O if we're going to stick with him.

The1ApplePie
10-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I see what you're saying but I think the overall point still holds water. Schaub is not necessarily the final destination you're looking for on your QB search. He can and most likely will be upgraded by most teams eventually. You can probably win with him if a lot of other things go your way but he's not the guy who gives you some kind of overwhelming advantage or makes ordinary players around him better.

I was on YouTube yesterday and came across a lengthy "Matt Schaub Highlights" video. About a minute in I started to think "This isn't a Matt Schaub highlight video, it's an Andre Johnson highlight video". Sure, there were throws to other players mixed in but primarily it was almost all AJ.

What's more if you watch all those highlight TD's most of them are AJ with tons of separation from the CB covering him. A few are AJ doing amazing things like AJ does but the majority are AJ with his man beat. Often you see that common complaint around here where AJ has to slow down to keep from overrunning Schaub's pass. More than a couple are would-be touchdowns if he'd hit AJ in stride.

People talk about QB's and where this guy ranks vs some other guy but really there's only two kinds of QB's. The guys who are elite and everybody else. The distance between the two is immaterial. Schaub is in the "everybody else" group and so is subject to being upgraded at any time.

Pretty much why I call Schaub "The White Daunte Culpepper". A good talent that looks much better throwing to the best WR in the game.

The dude does have poor weapons outside AJ and Foster, so the man can shoulder too much of the blame.

srrono
10-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Look, there are a hundred ways to skin a cat... As long as that cat is skinless, I don't give a shit. Right now, we've got a furry cat running all over the place.

I'm not one of these, "get rid of Schaub guys." But, I was never in favor of the two 2nd round picks for him. I was definitely not for the big contract before he plays a down for us either. But I think he's played well enough to earn his contract & his spot on this team.

Someone made a comment & I replied.

Schaub is good enough, that you stop looking for a starting QB....

Just like Dunta Robinson was. As long as Dunta was here, the Texans weren't going to be looking for a #1 corner

I blame Schaub most for the loss yesterday. He missed more plays than he made. Not good for a QB.

maybe Schaub shoud have caught the ball for vickers

ObsiWan
10-10-2011, 05:19 PM
As late as last season, I was still defending Schaub as being on his way to elite status. And as recently as the New Orleans game two weeks ago, I suddenly saw evidence that aligned everything I know about him into a conclusion that is very uncomfortable and difficult to acknowledge.

Basically, Schaub is damaged goods and has reached his ceiling. His stats are better than ever, but he crumbles when the game is on the line. I saw a glimpse of this last season when we played the Ravens on MNF. The pick-six in OT is not a mistake that championship caliber quarterbacks make. He will lead the team to the border of the promised land, then seal their defeat.

The moment my mind changed was when Schaub took a dive in the 4th quarter against the Saints when he had plenty of space to escape. Normally, I think taking the dive is a smart play, but that instance was another sample of an increasing pattern of freaking out while under pressure.

When the pocket collapses, a championship quarterback scrambles, improvises, and plays the hand he's dealt-- think Brees, Rodgers, and Manning. Schaub? He won't scramble. He's been throwing at feet, taking unnecessary dives, and forcing it to covered players for an interception.

Apparently you didn't watch the super bowl when Peyton Manning, while driving for the tying TD, threw that pick six into the hands of Tracey Porter and handed New Orleans the championship.

...s_ _t happens.
and it happens to the best of them.

Rey
10-10-2011, 05:22 PM
My problem with Schaub is that he doesn't really make his receivers better. He hits owen Daniels when he gets a bunch of speration...He throws the ball up and receivers make fantastic catches, he throws comeback routes where the receivers box out the DB and goes up and gets the ball.

Most of his throws seem kind of airy to me. I've seen other QB's kill using the back shoulder throw...I've seen other QB's be able to zip the ball to receivers in the seems...I've seen QB's that routinely fit balls into tight spaces and put the pass on the receiver....

It seems like if the receivers aren't flat out abusing the coverage or getting open on a well designed play schaub struggles to complete passes.

Sometimes a QB has to make throws where you just say "wow"...Matt doesn't make many of those throws...

He has underperformed more than he has overachieved this season and that is dissapointing to me.

srrono
10-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Apparently you didn't watch the super bowl when Peyton Manning, while driving for the tying TD, threw that pick six into the hands of Tracey Porter and handed New Orleans the championship.

...s_ _t happens.

For a long time Manning was labeled with "Cant win the big game".

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 05:24 PM

...s_ _t happens.

Or the post season game where Manning threw 4 picks to the Patriots to lose the game, or the other playoff game where he threw a few to lose to the Chargers in the post season.

Rey
10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
For a long time Manning was labeled with "Cant win the big game".

Pretty much.

I'd rather have Schaub performing more on the level of Brady when it comes to big games than Manning.

Wolf
10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
I loved the days of "no way" with Elway

before TD helped give them another weapon

Kimmy
10-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Pretty much.

I'd rather have Schaub performing more on the level of Brady when it comes to big games than Manning.

Are you saying he can get us to the big game.

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 05:33 PM

I will easily say that if you get him a better HC that knows how to win and manage a game correctly and a consistent defense that can be counted on for a few seasons. Yeah, this team could easily win a SB with Matt Schaub. Eli Manning whom people laughed at for years didn't need to play lights out with that 9-7 Giants team that caught fire in the post season. Hell, they had Plexico and some good RB's and a D line that just went on the most horrific terror or any D line in NFL history at the right time and ended up beating the perfect season Patriots with ELI MANNING. Schaub is capable of the same.

hradhak
10-10-2011, 05:36 PM
I will easily say that if you get him a better HC that knows how to win and manage a game correctly and a consistent defense that can be counted on for a few seasons. Yeah, this team could easily win a SB with Matt Schaub. Eli Manning whom people laughed at for years didn't need to play lights out with that 9-7 Giants team that caught fire in the post season. Hell, they had Plexico and some good RB's and a D line that just went on the most horrific terror or any D line in NFL history at the right time and ended up beating the perfect season Patriots with ELI MANNING. Schaub is capable of the same.

Yeah, we finally have the makings of a consistent defense. Our d line is looking good for once and I think that can keep us in games. Schaub is certainly not the problem here. Our problem is executing for 60 minutes, we so far have been able to show flashes of greatness followed by complete cluster ********. Get someone in here who can iron that out and we'll be fine.

Kimmy
10-10-2011, 05:37 PM

Good points. I'm at a state where my faith in anything this team/players say or do is hanging on to a rapidly fraying rope ....

ObsiWan
10-10-2011, 05:39 PM

Those same 49ers and Dolphins have also been looking to replace Bill Walsh and Don Shula for that same duration.

They don't make stud coaches like those every day just like they don't make stud QBs like Montana, Young, or Marino every day. Those were once-in-a-generation talents.

Schaub is to Kubiak like Neil O'Donnell was to Cowher. Good but not great.

Texanmike02
10-10-2011, 05:40 PM

Really? That's stupid. Just plain stupid. He put himself in that position when he threw the INT? You mean his OL didn't get their hands up and the ball got tipped. If you want to know what was wrong. SEVEN tipped passes. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Mike

srrono
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
I can come up with a lot of reasons Texans lost everyones focus is Schaub.

Vickers drop
Mario & Casey Injury
jacoby 11 targets 1 catch
bad special teams
bad scheme offense too many short drops & stretch plays , should have moved the pocket more or rollouts
bringing Briesel back in injured gave up easy sack
J.Allen missed tackle for td
rackers missed fg

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Good points. I'm at a state where my faith in anything this team/players say or do is hanging on to a rapidly fraying rope ....

I hear ya Kimmy. As you know I've been as big of a detractor and basher of the HC/GM on this team as anyone around here. I know that it's very unlikely that we see a change though, so I'm forced to hope that Wade's new defense can turn it on big time, but we'll need guys like AJ back in the mix. All we can do is hope for a big game next week where we can pull out a win and get AJ back after that.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 05:42 PM
maybe Schaub shoud have caught the ball for vickers

In losses, it is easy to "micro-analyze" a player's mistake. Vickers had what, one opportunity? I know that would have won the game.... maybe, but c'mon.

Matt was off target quite a bit yesterday, a lot of balls in the dirt, that one to Vickers had no reason to be behind him. If it were in front of him... TD. If it's high & behind him.. he might not catch it.

Rey
10-10-2011, 05:43 PM

No...He's not going to get us anywhwere IMO.

I think he can help the team and not be a huge liability...but he isn't going to be that catalyst.

If he plays a little better and we improve a couple of the positions around him I think we can definitely be a SB contender.

Kimmy
10-10-2011, 05:43 PM
I can come up with a lot of reasons Texans lost everyones focus is Schaub.

Vickers drop
Mario & Casey Injury
jacoby 11 targets 1 catch
bad special teams
bad scheme offense too many short drops & stretch plays , should have moved the pocket more or rollouts
bringing Briesel back in injured
J.Allen missed tackle for td

But ultimately ... he threw the last interception with 7 seconds left.

Game Over.

Rey
10-10-2011, 05:46 PM
In losses, it is easy to "micro-analyze" a player's mistake. Vickers had what, one opportunity? I know that would have won the game.... maybe, but c'mon.

Matt was off target quite a bit yesterday, a lot of balls in the dirt, that one to Vickers had no reason to be behind him. If it were in front of him... TD. If it's high & behind him.. he might not catch it.

Exactly.

No excuse for Vickers at all. He sucked on that play and he may not ever play well here. I think he can, but shyt happens.

But you are correct about Schaub vs Vickers and others...You're talking about a guy seeing his first real action and having that one opprotunity to make a play in a crucial spot VS a guy who has been a starter for a few years running and is supposed to be on the next tier under the elites at his position having a pretty bad day. Schaub was throwing the ball in the dirt like he thought it was fun.

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Those same 49ers and Dolphins have also been looking to replace Bill Walsh and Don Shula for that same duration.

They don't make stud coaches like those just like they don't make stud QBs like Montana, Young, or Marino.

My point is that you can have decent HC's and even really good HC's and players on your team but in many cases the QB position can stop your team from winning or becoming a true contender. That Miami team went from 1-15 to 11-5 in one season?? You care to remember what was a big factor in that?? CHAD PENNINGTON and him becoming an MVP candidate that season. His stats weren't amazing, but he was brilliant that season at running their offense and not making mistakes. That was the only season Miami has had a good QB since I don't know how long, and the only season Sparano has had a good QB since he has been there and you'd expect his team to win the division over the Pats and the Jets right now without a good QB?? Not happening.

The Niners have had some pretty solid teams but have been stuck with Alex Smith and a few other guys that have constantly held those teams back. Singletary might have gotten further had he had a good QB to work with possibly maybe even Nolan could. I don't know for sure, but those teams have tried many different guys at QB and it's been one failed experiment after another with different coaches. It's not easy to replace a QB. Sometimes you just get lucky, but other times you just keep hitting and missing and recycling bodies in and out of there.

To try and replace Bill Walsh and Don Shula isn't going to happen, so I don't even know what the hell you're bringing those guys up for. Those are two of the best coaches in NFL history. You don't one of the best coaches or QB's in NFL history to become a contender.

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 05:52 PM
No...He's not going to get us anywhwere IMO.

I think he can help the team and not be a huge liability...but he isn't going to be that catalyst.

If he plays a little better and we improve a couple of the positions around him I think we can definitely be a SB contender.

This^^^^

This is what I've been saying today and for years. Anyone whoever thought Schaub could carry a team to a SB was delusional. But he is a good QB that can operate a good offense. He isn't going to be some ra ra guy who is lights out in the clutch ever either, but he is capable of being clutch every now and then. He can be a QB of a team that has a real good defense and good skill players with a strong HC that knows how to win and we can win a SB with Schaub. I'm not saying it will ever happen, but it could happen.

srrono
10-10-2011, 06:05 PM

They don't make stud coaches like those every day just like they don't make stud QBs like Montana, Young, or Marino every day. Those were once-in-a-generation talents.

i have no problem with replacing Kub if we do not make the playoffs this year. I just hope the texans get a proven coach not a 1st timer. Jon Gruden-Bill Cowher-Brian Billick-Jeff Fischer-Tony Dungy-Andy Ried after he gets fired-Gregg Williams NO DC-Marty Shottenheimer-Wade Phillips

TEXANRED
10-10-2011, 06:13 PM
Matt Schaub as a 5 year starter:

28-31 Wins/Loss
17-10 @ home
6-14 in the division

He has now entered the wrong side of 30.

Matt Schaub is who Matt Schaub is.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Funny how things work like that especially with fans that have argued that he was on the cusp of greatness for years to me when I've always stated that he was good but not great. Schaub is constantly put in position way to often to make or break the Texans and he isn't good enough to be that hero all of the time. Doesn't make him a bad QB though.

Are any of these turncoats in this thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84798&highlight=schaub+elite)? I haven't identified any.

Here is a poll (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83929&highlight=schaub+elite), where the majority of us put him on the cusp....

Here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82740&highlight=schaub+elite) is a bunch of them Schaub supporters.... most of them are on the same side of the arguement.

Here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80622&highlight=schaub+elite) is another...... still, I think these guys have been pretty consistent

who in particular are you talking about?

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Are any of these turncoats in this thread (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84798&highlight=schaub+elite)? I haven't identified any.

Here is a poll (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83929&highlight=schaub+elite), where the majority of us put him on the cusp....

Here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82740&highlight=schaub+elite) is a bunch of them Schaub supporters.... most of them are on the same side of the arguement.

Here (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80622&highlight=schaub+elite) is another...... still, I think these guys have been pretty consistent

who in particular are you talking about?

Dude, you can sit here and cherry pick a few threads where Schaub is being discussed at length that you feel supports your argument that he is all of a sudden mince meat at the position TK, but you and I both know that there are 100's of Matt Schaub threads out there discussing the guy and he's been pretty highly regarded on this board and with this fan base for a while. The most negative feedback on Schaub up until now was when the debates about him and Sage were taking place and Schaub clearly proved that he was the better guy and ever since he's been a pretty good QB that's been consistent in this league. Hell, speaking of so many of those threads, I've been the guy that's argued against Schaub's supposed greatness that so many people have tried to put forth and I never disliked the guy, but I always found him to be overrated by many in here. I liked him though and thought he was pretty good.

He is a good player at this position at the end of the day. He isn't one of the big problems with the Texans and never has been.

ATXtexanfan
10-10-2011, 06:41 PM
i'm done with schaub

Lucky
10-10-2011, 06:59 PM
He is a good player at this position at the end of the day.
Not at the end of yesterday. Schaub's play was spotty the first 3 weeks of the season. Just plain bad the past two games. When fans think of the good Matt Schaub, who is poised and accurate, he's considered good enough to win with. The good Matt Schaub of 2011 (and occasionally 2010) has not been seen often enough in 2011.

I realize that he will always be a very limited athlete. It's his lack of poise and instincts that have surfaced recently and have me concerned. The Matt Schaub of 2011 is not good enough. When it became time for him to step up and become an even better NFL QB, Schaub has gotten worse.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Actually, I don't know what the heck that last post was supposed to mean.

I thought I was responding to one of your threads where you mentioned that you are arguing against certain people who previously held a different view...

Dude, you can sit here and cherry pick a few threads where Schaub is being discussed at length that you feel supports your argument that he is all of a sudden mince meat at the position TK,

Still, in regards to this statement. I think you're looking at two different groups of people. If Schaub were to have a great game (hasn't happened yet this season) or if it's the middle of the off season & we're arguing over stats, you'll have a bunch of his supporters starting threads.

After games like yesterdays, you'll have the other group starting threads.

srrono
10-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Whats funny while doubtful if Schaub plays big and leads the Texans over Balt, What will the threads say then? Schaub is a great QB! No Schaub is Schaub bit I'll take him over:
Smith, Alex SFO
Campbell, Jason OAK
Cassel, Matt KCC
Painter, Curtis IND
Flacco, Joe BAL
Jackson, Tarvaris SEA
Sanchez, Mark NYJ
Dalton, Andy CIN
McNabb, Donovan MIN
Grossman, Rex WAS
Orton, Kyle DEN
McCoy, Colt CLE
Cutler, Jay CHI
Henne, Chad MIA
Bradford, Sam STL
Gabbert, Blaine JAC
Tebow, Tim DEN
Collins, Kerry IND
Vick, Michael PHI
Hasselbeck, Matt TEN
Kolb, Kevin ARI
Ryan,Matt ATL
Manning, Eli NYG
Romo, Tony DAL
so the only current QB i would take over Schuab are:
Manning, Peyton IND
Brady, Tom NE
Brees, Drew NO
Rivers, Phillip SD
Rodgers, Aaron GB
Staffird, Matt DET
Newton, Cam CAR
Roethlisberger,Ben PIT

Schuab cant compete with some of these guys but I think we are better off than most of the league

BigBull17
10-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Dude, you can sit here and cherry pick a few threads where Schaub is being discussed at length that you feel supports your argument that he is all of a sudden mince meat at the position TK, but you and I both know that there are 100's of Matt Schaub threads out there discussing the guy and he's been pretty highly regarded on this board and with this fan base for a while. The most negative feedback on Schaub up until now was when the debates about him and Sage were taking place and Schaub clearly proved that he was the better guy and ever since he's been a pretty good QB that's been consistent in this league. Hell, speaking of so many of those threads, I've been the guy that's argued against Schaub's supposed greatness that so many people have tried to put forth and I never disliked the guy, but I always found him to be overrated by many in here. I liked him though and thought he was pretty good.

He is a good player at this position at the end of the day. He isn't one of the big problems with the Texans and never has been.

Great point. I understand MAtt has issues, but look around at some teams QB's and tell me you wouldn't rather have Schaub.

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Not at the end of yesterday. Schaub's play was spotty the first 3 weeks of the season. Just plain bad the past two games. When fans think of the good Matt Schaub, who is poised and accurate, he's considered good enough to win with. The good Matt Schaub of 2011 (and occasionally 2010) has not been seen often enough in 2011.

I realize that he will always be a very limited athlete. It's his lack of poise and instincts that have surfaced recently and have me concerned. The Matt Schaub of 2011 is not good enough. When it became time for him to step up and become an even better NFL QB, Schaub has gotten worse.

So what are you suggesting as a plan to replace him than?? Get a QB in the draft and sit him for a few seasons or start him next year and wait a few years for him to develop when AJ is to old and other players want out?? We aren't going to find a better guy than Schaub in free agency, so that's not even worth talking about. Our only method would be the NFL draft and I'd be okay with that if a potential stud is there with a first round pick, but if it's not a top 10 type of pick we're rolling the dice with Las Vegas Casino odds.

Lucky
10-10-2011, 07:16 PM
So what are you suggesting as a plan to replace him than??
Well, I don't have a plan. And I doubt McNair would heed it, if I had. I'm making an observation. Matt Schaub is not playing well this season. If he were playing at his 2009 level, the Texans would be at least 4-1. And in command of this division.

I don't know what happens going forward. My gut feeling right now is that the Texans fail to make it into the playoffs this year, and a new organization is brought in. Which may or may not want to keep Schaub. Whether Matt remains, or another caretaker QB is found in free agency, I think the QB of the future has to be brought in.

srrono
10-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Well, I don't have a plan. And I doubt McNair would heed it, if I had. I'm making an observation. Matt Schaub is not playing well this season. If he were playing at his 2009 level, the Texans would be at least 4-1. And in command of this division.

I don't know what happens going forward. My gut feeling right now is that the Texans fail to make it into the playoffs this year, and a new organization is brought in. Which may or may not want to keep Schaub. Whether Matt remains, or another caretaker QB is found in free agency, I think the QB of the future has to be brought in.

We sure are a fair weather fan base. 1 loss and now the season is over? The 2nd half of the season schedule favors the texans to win the division. I will hold back the panic button till the Titains game.

Lucky
10-10-2011, 07:36 PM
We sure are a fair weather fan base. 1 loss and now the season is over? The 2nd half of the season schedule favors the texans to win the division.
Absolutely, the schedule favors the Texans. Unfortunately, the games on the schedule still have to be played. Based upon what I've seen thus far, this has a look of another 8-8 season. No matter who shows up to play this team. I won't panic after the Titan game. Because I've seen this act before.

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 07:39 PM
We sure are a fair weather fan base. 1 loss and now the season is over? The 2nd half of the season schedule favors the texans to win the division. I will hold back the panic button till the Titains game.

Five games, many moments, two losses, and a consistent set of problems dating from last season common to all of them. That's not "fair weather". That's having seen something enough to recognize where it's going.

I expect 8-8 right now based on what we've done so far, who we've lost, what our upcoming opponents have done so far, and what we've done since 2006.

I'd also hold off on the panic button until after the Titans game. Baltimore is going to beat us senseless and I think 3-3 is a given right now. 3-4 following our trip to Nashville is panic button time.

DocBar
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM
For a long time Manning was labeled with "Cant win the big game".With the season records Indy put up, there's a good reason for that label. They have a SB to playoff ratio of? That is definitive of failure as far as that goes.

Ckw
10-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Schaub is a product of the system and is a great fit for the system as long as it runs smoothly. It's obviously very easy to mess with Schaubs head and get him rattled.

I've calmed down since yesterday, so I'm not for throwing in the towel on Schaub, but I do agree with others that say we need ypgrades at several positions on O if we're going to stick with him.

Same here. I was furious yesterday. Now, I am pretty much where Tex is. I recognize Schaub is a good but not great QB. He can put up some pretty decent stats but he isn't exactly a guy you would say has "it". There is nothing overly special about Matt Schaub and nothing too horrible about him either.

The stats on him are misleading as the stats can lead you to believe he is easily a top 10 QB in this league which I believe is what has caused the overreaction. People look at the stats and expect to see elite quarterback play. But Matt Schaub is not an elite QB. Far from it actually. He is what he is, and that isn't totally a bad thing. We can win games with Matt Schaub as long as everyone else does their jobs. He is not a QB that will or even can put his team on his back and will them to victory.

All that being said, I think it's time the Texans look to draft a QB. This looks to be a good draft for quarterbacks, and I'd love to see us look at a strong armed QB like Ryan Lindley, an accurate guy that can run like Ryan Tannehill, or the guy that can seemingly do it all Robert Griffin III.

srrono
10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
With the season records Indy put up, there's a good reason for that label. They have a SB to playoff ratio of? That is definitive of failure as far as that goes.

You do know only 1 team a year wins the SB? That means 31 teams dont win it. Just getting to the playoffs is dificult. As all Texan fans should know. I hate IND but i respect what that franchise has done.

DocBar
10-10-2011, 08:44 PM
You do know only 1 team a year wins the SB? That means 31 teams dont win it. Just getting to the playoffs is dificult. As all Texan fans should know. I hate IND but i respect what that franchise has done.Yeah, I know that. And I also know that very, very, very few teams put up the regular season numbers the Colts have for 10-11 years. To come away with as few playoff wins as the Colt's have is an embarassment when compared to playoff losses. A lot like the Oilers of the late '80's/early 90's. Are you just being a smart ass or do you have a real point?

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 10:20 PM

I'm about as Koolaide as you can get, but if we can't follow up the Steelers game with a better game than that.... what's the point?

We know we're going to Baltimore next week.... so let's win this one at home.

Some time, in the midst of all those 3 & outs, our QB should have tightened his jock strap & said, "guys, we aren't losing this game." Either he did & we got what we saw, or he didn't. either way, doesn't look good for the Texans.

What? We aren't going to face another QB as good as Campbell? We're not going to face a Darius Heyward-Bey(sp)? We're not going to go up against a defense that gives up 27 points per game? or allows teams to run all over them?

What is it about that Raiders team that makes them better than the teams remaining on our schedule? They wanted that win more than we did, bottom line & that is the only reason they won.

The Raiders may go on to win the next 11 games...... they may represent the AFC in the Super Bowl for all I know. But what I saw yesterday, they didn't play well enough to keep this team (with or without AJ) out of the Redzone.

Sorry, I don't see anything that separates the Raiders from any of the teams on our schedule. I don't see anything that separates the Raiders from our team. I don't see a play-off team when I look at the Raiders (adjusting for the weak division of course). So why would I see a play-off team when I look at ours?

Unless our Mario William-less defense miraculously morph into the Baltimore Ravens.. I'm just not seeing it.

& it's not just one game. It's the last 5 games, it's the last 14 games. Remember when we said if our defense was just decent, we'd have made the play-offs..... We can't beat the Raiders after taking them out of the game for a complete half.

We can't beat New Orleans with field goals.... but the Raiders can beat us with, say it with me now, FIELD GOALS.

kiwitexansfan
10-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Whats funny while doubtful if Schaub plays big and leads the Texans over Balt, What will the threads say then? Schaub is a great QB! No Schaub is Schaub bit I'll take him over:
Smith, Alex SFO
Campbell, Jason OAK
Cassel, Matt KCC
Painter, Curtis IND
Flacco, Joe BAL
Jackson, Tarvaris SEA
Sanchez, Mark NYJ
Dalton, Andy CIN
McNabb, Donovan MIN
Grossman, Rex WAS
Orton, Kyle DEN
McCoy, Colt CLE
Cutler, Jay CHI
Henne, Chad MIA
Bradford, Sam STL
Gabbert, Blaine JAC
Tebow, Tim DEN
Collins, Kerry IND
Vick, Michael PHI
Hasselbeck, Matt TEN
Kolb, Kevin ARI
Ryan,Matt ATL
Manning, Eli NYG
Romo, Tony DAL
so the only current QB i would take over Schuab are:
Manning, Peyton IND
Brady, Tom NE
Brees, Drew NO
Rivers, Phillip SD
Rodgers, Aaron GB
Staffird, Matt DET
Newton, Cam CAR
Roethlisberger,Ben PIT

Schuab cant compete with some of these guys but I think we are better off than most of the league

I'm not sure on the Newton and Stafford calls but the point is a valid one, Schaub is a better QB than what a lot of other teams have to put up with.

We could always trade for Carr, those were good times.

srrono
10-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm not sure on the Newton and Stafford calls but the point is a valid one, Schaub is a better QB than what a lot of other teams have to put up with.

We could always trade for Carr, those were good times.

With what Stafford & Newton have shown in so little time I would be excited to have them. Future should be fun to watch.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Ok...... I'm about to do a 180

Again

I just watched the last 4 minutes of the game..... again.

Still, I think the offense has issues.... that Raiders defense was fierce. Our defense stepped up & shut down the Raiders run game, surely it isn't too far fetched that their defense did the same.

But I'm pretty sure this game will be on NFL Replay as one of the 3 best games of the week. Doesn't really say a lot for our team, but that was a damn good game.

Matt Schaub did a heck of a job getting the team down the field for that field goal drive..... The defense was lights out to stop the Raiders.... 3 & out, sealed by Glover's open field tackle for a loss on McFadden. ProBowl safety.... more than likely. Antonio... the only DL to get penetration forcing McFadden to run sideways, Glover cleaning up.

Then Matt did a heck of a job getting the team down the field.... after the facemask... the hit to the knee, the piss poor play from Brisiel & Wade Smith... he looked like a leader marching down the field. He looked like a warrior getting back up. If I'm one of those 53 guys, I'm damn proud of my QB.

Does this change my opinion about Matt Schaub..... I still don't think he's elite.

Do I think he can get us to the play-offs or the Super Bowl?

If he would use the whole field, sideline to sideline 10, 15, 20+ yards from the LOS... yeah. I don't know if it's Schaub or Kubiak or Dennison that cuts the field off for 3 qtrs of the game, but when they open it up...... I don't see how anybody can stop us.... again, with or without Andre. That's just too much field to cover.

I'm still not happy about losing to the Raiders. If we don't get into the play-offs, this game will be the first one I think of.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm back on the kool-aide.

SteveSlaton20
10-10-2011, 11:42 PM
Someone needs to take a look at the lack of offensive line play that happened today.

this.

This game is on Neil Rackers, Offensive Line, and Lawrence Vickers.

Maybe Kubiak too.