PDA

View Full Version : Mario Hurt - Out for Season

Pages : [1] 2

jtexas
10-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Mario Williams will have surgery on his torn pectoral this week, ending his season.
Walked off to the locker room in 1st quarter

Because I know there will be questions about the implications of his injury, this will give you some information as we await more information.

The pectoralis (pec) muscles are large muscles located on each side of the chest. Their primary job is help the shoulders and arms move and lift. When you perform a push-up or chest fly, you are activating the pecs. Because they are among the strongest muscles in the body, they are less likely to be strained (pulled), but it can happen.

Grade 1 strains involve a few torn muscle or tendon fibers. Loss of strength is minimal, and recovery quite manageable.

Grade 2 strains involve more torn fibers, some loss of strength, and a longer rehab period.

Grade 3 pectoralis strains are rare, painful, debilitating, and can have long-term effects on strength, power, range of motion, and sports performance. In most cases, the muscle will never regain it original strength.

Grade 1 recovery takes a matter of days. You can return to training when the symptoms have disappeared.

Grade 2 recovery is a matter of weeks—approximately 2-6.

Grade 3 complete tears usually require surgery; full recovery takes months.

EDIT:MODS PLEASE MERGE......while writing, another thread already begun

The Cush
10-09-2011, 01:58 PM
I wondered what was wrong, he was walking fine. We need updates! I'm worried about Brooks Reed's ability to stay at home on the edge against McFadden

DocBar
10-09-2011, 02:08 PM
McLame tweeted it looked like MW hit a finger on a helmet.

dalemurphy
10-09-2011, 02:09 PM
I wondered what was wrong, he was walking fine. We need updates! I'm worried about Brooks Reed's ability to stay at home on the edge against McFadden

Looked like a bicep or shoulder injury to me. I think it happened on the sack he was credited with.

TFL
10-09-2011, 02:18 PM
pectoral injury doesnt look like he will return announcer on the tv just stated this...

The Cush
Pectoral injury will not return. Hoping for the best here

DocBar
Just heard pectorsl injury and will not return

Errant Hothy
10-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Ugh! Anybody got a quess as to how long? Any chance of this being a season long deal?

Edit: answered my own question. A torn pec will shut MW down for the rest of the year.

gtexan02
10-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Ugh! Anybody got a quess as to how long? Any chance of this being a season long deal?

Depends on grade. Grade 1 or 2 is days or weeks. Grade 3 is surgery and many months.

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Because I know there will be questions about the implications of his injury, this will give you some information as we await more information.

The pectoralis (pec) muscles are large muscles located on each side of the chest. Their primary job is help the shoulders and arms move and lift. When you perform a push-up or chest fly, you are activating the pecs. Because they are among the strongest muscles in the body, they are less likely to be strained (pulled), but it can happen.

Grade 1 strains involve a few torn muscle or tendon fibers. Loss of strength is minimal, and recovery quite manageable.

Grade 2 strains involve more torn fibers, some loss of strength, and a longer rehab period.

Grade 3 pectoralis strains are rare, painful, debilitating, and can have long-term effects on strength, power, range of motion, and sports performance. In most cases, the muscle will never regain it original strength.

Grade 1 recovery takes a matter of days. You can return to training when the symptoms have disappeared.

imatexan
This scares me, he goes down and already the raiders have a TD.

TexanSam
Anna-Megan Raley says it's a torn pectoral...

https://twitter.com/#!/AnnaMegan/status/123102535815938048
Mario Williams has suffered a torn pectoral muscle. He will not return to the game.

jtexas
10-09-2011, 02:34 PM
Anna-Megan Raley says it's a torn pectoral...

https://twitter.com/#!/AnnaMegan/status/123102535815938048

I think she is speculating its torn. Torn will end the season.

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 02:39 PM
I think she is speculating its torn. Torn will end the season.

As gtexan02 mentioned, "torn" depends on grade of injury..........ALL STRAINS are TEARS. The GRADE refers to the SEVERITY.

I accidentally started another thread on this injury, which I've asked the MODS to merge. It may answer some questions out there about this type of injury.

imatexan
10-09-2011, 02:40 PM

Thanks for the info.

The Cush
10-09-2011, 02:42 PM
WHY?!?!?! So many injuries, can we just get lucky for once!

jtexas
10-09-2011, 02:42 PM
As GTexan02 mentioned, "torn" depends on grade of injury..........ALL STRAINS are TEARS. The GRADE refers to the SEVERITY.

I accidentally started another thread on this injury, which I've asked the MODS to merge. It may answer some questions out there about this type of injury.

I combined them the ghetto way. :texanbill:

Doppelganger
10-09-2011, 02:43 PM

Is there any way to determine what type it was based on his reaction? He walked off on his own didn't seem to grimace?

PapaL
10-09-2011, 02:45 PM
He was playing good. This sucks.

That TD had more to do w the 15 yard cushions #30 was giving.

playa465
10-09-2011, 02:46 PM
Mario makes a difference in the game, even if it just mental on the opposing team...but as athletically gifted as he is; can he justifiably be labeled injury prone? This is no get rid of him post, as I am a big fan of his.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 02:46 PM
as he left the field, so did our pressure.

Mr. Texan
10-09-2011, 02:50 PM
texans can never catch a break :toropalm:

jtexas
10-09-2011, 02:55 PM
texans can never catch a break :toropalm:

I consider the first time mario went down holding his leg a break, same with andre's injury.

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Is there any way to determine what type it was based on his reaction? He walked off on his own didn't seem to grimace?

During his attempt to tackle, it appears that his left arm was pulled away from his chest. This means that his pectoralis major muscle was in full contraction against heavy resistance..........and the leverage was from closer to the forearm, creating that much more resistance to pectoralis contraction........a perfect set up for strain/tear of that muscle. I've seen complete tears where a patient showed only minimal outward signs of pain. It is not like a lower extremity injury that you can better judge by the patient's response/altered gait.

DocBar
10-09-2011, 03:21 PM
During his attempt to tackle, it appears that his left arm was pulled away from his chest. This means that his pectoralis major muscle was in full contraction against heavy resistance..........and the leverage was from closer to the forearm, creating that much more resistance to pectoralis contraction........a perfect set up for strain/tear of that muscle. I've seen complete tears where a patient showed only minimal outward signs of pain. It is not like a lower extremity injury that you can better judge by the patient's response/altered gait.Looks like Reed has some big shoes to fill now, eh?

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Looks like Reed has some big shoes to fill now, eh?

Won't really know how long until the injury is graded by MRI. If it is a complete grade 3 tear, they know it NOW. The MRI will distinguish between grade 1 and 2.

DocBar
10-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Dreesen has to make that catch cleanly.

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Dreesen has to make that catch cleanly.

Wrong thread???

digitalswim
10-09-2011, 03:53 PM
as he left the field, so did our pressure.

Right on. A lot of folks on this site cry about his production but we have seen this multiple times this year. When he leaves our pressure goes straight in the crapper.

kcdoubleeagle
10-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Right on. A lot of folks on this site cry about his production but we have seen this multiple times this year. When he leaves our pressure goes straight in the crapper.

my thoughts exactly...

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Pectoralis major tears can also be classified by type:

type 1: rupture at humeral insertion (tendon ruptured from the bone)

type 2: rupture of musculotendinous junction (rupture in between tendon and muscle),

type 3: rupture of muscle belly (rupture in the muscle itself).

The type 2 and 3 are typically partial, and type 1 complete.

badboy
10-09-2011, 05:21 PM
If out for season, Texans must decide to re-sign him based on performance for 4 games. I anticipate a few Mario posts over next several weeks that roil the fan base.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 05:24 PM
If out for season, Texans must decide to re-sign him based on performance for 4 games. I anticipate a few Mario posts over next several weeks that roil the fan base.

he wont be out for long, he looked fine on the side line i doubt its anything serious. but hey man where was A. Smith today, i didnt see his our anyones dominance once Williams went out, so what happened ?

TexCanada
10-09-2011, 05:27 PM
he wont be out for long, he looked fine on the side line i doubt its anything serious. but hey man where was A. Smith today, i didnt see his our anyones dominance once Williams went out, so what happened ?

Well its just not necessary to double team Reed. Smith didn't have as much room to operate as he normally would with Mario out.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Well its just not necessary to double team Reed. Smith didn't have as much room to operate as he normally would with Mario out.

i know this but bad boy thinks that smith is more dominant that williams, and he says that M.W has no affect on the way smith plays, that why i was asking badboy that !

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 05:38 PM

I hope so too. But you are not going to be able to determine the extent of a pectoral injury by his demeanor on the sideline.

DocBar
10-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Wrong thread???LOL yes....

TexCanada
10-09-2011, 06:09 PM
i know this but bad boy thinks that smith is more dominant that williams, and he says that M.W has no affect on the way smith plays, that why i was asking badboy that !

Oh ok, gotcha. I think Mario proved his worth today.

RagingBull
10-09-2011, 06:17 PM
This is what Elvis Dumervil had last year that kept him out for the whole season.

hradhak
10-09-2011, 06:19 PM
We still got good pressure even after MW went out, but this is a serious blow.
I'm hoping they kept him out as a precaution till they get the MRI.

Norg
10-09-2011, 06:32 PM
If we fail to make the Playoffs this year is Mario Gone ?????

CloakNNNdagger
10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
This is what Elvis Dumervil had last year that kept him out for the whole season.

A subtotal tear, a grade 2 that is almost a grade 3 (meaning torn through most of the tendon or muscle) can still keep a player out for 3-4 months (This is as opposed to an average of 8.5 months for a complete tear).

Dumervil had a bad near complete but not a complete tear.

NitroGSXR
10-09-2011, 08:07 PM
The guys on the NBC pregame show said Mario would be out "a couple months to the entire season"... So that sounds like a severe tear to me. I know they're most likely speculating but that's all we can at this point.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
The guys on the NBC pregame show said Mario would be out "a couple months to the entire season"... So that sounds like a severe tear to me. I know they're most likely speculating but that's all we can at this point.

well i dont see how he would know they didnt confirm anything, and he was standing on the sidelines joking the whole time. i think the guy is talking out of his ass.

DBCooper
10-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Yeah, they just said possibly a tear, MRI tomorrow.

DX-TEX
10-09-2011, 08:29 PM

I think thats funny.....a severe injury and they wait till TOMORROW? Dont we have like Medical Center and have at least one MRI place open?

NitroGSXR
10-09-2011, 08:30 PM

They said a tear at the beginning of the show as if it was definite. About ten mins ago, it changed to a "possible" tear. Everybody needs to STFU until the MRI.

TexansFanatic
10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
I think thats funny.....a severe injury and they wait till TOMORROW? Dont we have like Medical Center and have at least one MRI place open?

I'm fascinated by that, too. A multi-gazillion dollar organization and we can't get an MRI for one of our gems on their one working day of the week?

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm fascinated by that, too. A multi-gazillion dollar organization and we can't get an MRI for one of our gems on their one working day of the week?

they did for AJ, so i am thinking they must THINK its NOT to serious.

jtexas
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
SI's Peter King reported on Football Night in America Sunday that Mario Williams "probably" tore his pectoral muscle in the Texans' Week 5 loss to the Raiders.
He'll have a Monday MRI.

DX-TEX
10-09-2011, 08:50 PM
SI's Peter King reported on Football Night in America Sunday that Mario Williams "probably" tore his pectoral muscle in the Texans' Week 5 loss to the Raiders.
He'll have a Monday MRI.

Didnt he also report after the Saints game that Walter broke his collarbone and would be out 8-10 weeks?

srrono
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Williams and Casey suffered torn pectoral muscles, not biceps. They're hoping they don't require surgery.
4 minutes ago

DX-TEX
10-09-2011, 10:29 PM
Hamstrings then Pecs next up...heads falling off.

steelbtexan
10-09-2011, 10:33 PM
In a previous thread I gave an O/U of 8 before Mario got hurt.

Anybody who took the under stand up and be counted.

This is about 14 mil wasted.

Ryan
well we're f*cked.

Cush
Its hard to be a fan of Houston teams lately.

Injury ridden stars, a baseball team that set a franchise record for losses, the NBA lockout...

What's next?

There is a black cloud over this Texan team at the moment IMO

TheMatrix31
10-09-2011, 10:35 PM
If Casey and Mario are injured for the year, we're done.

DocBar
10-09-2011, 10:44 PM
Bad form, my friend. MW was earning his money, so no reason to cheapen that. This is a big blow for the team and fanbase.

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 10:47 PM

Seriously? He has done a very good job on his new position;

G GS Comb Total Ast Sck SFTY PDef Int FF
5 5 11 10 1 5.0 -- 1 -- 1

He gets hurt and it's a waste of 14mil? I don't think so .... Wanna see some wasted money ... start looking at Jacoby Jones

dtran04
10-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Out of the big name players, Schaub has been the most injury free the past couple of years. Who would have thunk it.

Ryan
10-09-2011, 10:50 PM
The most snake bitten franchise ever. I've never seen anything like this before ever. The injury is already freaky enough, but it happening twice in one day to two people on the same team. You've got to be kidding me.:toropalm:

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 10:52 PM
The most snake bitten franchise ever. I've never seen anything like this before ever. The injury is already freaky enough, but it happening twice in one day to two people on the same team. You've got to be kidding me.:toropalm:

Also happened to Tavaris Jackson today as well

BullNation4Life
10-09-2011, 11:05 PM

No this is about perfectly good thread space wasted on crap like this, dude is a 2 time pro-bowl DE, he has earned his 14 mil. At least EVERYBODY IN THE NFL thinks so...

BullNation4Life
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Williams and Casey suffered torn pectoral muscles, not biceps. They're hoping they don't require surgery.
4 minutes ago

ahh so that's why Vickers was in the game....

steelbtexan
10-09-2011, 11:11 PM
No this is about perfectly good thread space wasted on crap like this, dude is a 2 time pro-bowl DE, he has earned his 14 mil. At least EVERYBODY IN THE NFL thinks so...

We will have to agree to disagree.

14 mil for 5 games is $$$$ wasted.

This is what people in the trade MW camp were talking about. He has a bad injury history. So this shouldn't be suprising to anybody.

PS, How do you know what everybody in the NFL thinks? Do you have insde the NFL sources. If so PM me you dont have to tell me whothey are. But I want to know what these sources think about other players/team management.

BullNation4Life
10-09-2011, 11:15 PM

This is what people in the trade MW camp were talking about. He has a bad injury history. So this shouldn't be suprising to anybody.

Like I said, only a waste to arm chair GM's not those who ACTUALLY know what the hell they are talking about....

BullNation4Life
10-09-2011, 11:16 PM

PS, How do you know what everybody in the NFL thinks? Do you have insde the NFL sources. If so PM me you dont have to tell me whothey are. But I want to know what these sources think about other players/team management.

All you have to do is tune in to those who have played the game. I'll take their opinion over ANYBODY who has never played on that level before....

steelbtexan
10-09-2011, 11:20 PM
Like I said, only a waste to arm chair GM's not those who ACTUALLY know what the hell they are talking about....

MW injuries

1.Feet
2.Groin
3.Shoulder
4.Pectoral

Are you starting to se a trend here?

Armchair or not the facts dont support your argument. Sorry.... wish I and many others were wrong. Believe me I get no pleasure in pointing this out. But felt it was relevent.

srrono
10-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Winner biggest Douche on TT Award congrads!

thunderkyss
10-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Its hard to be a fan of Houston teams lately.

Injury ridden stars, a baseball team that set a franchise record for losses, the NBA lockout...

What's next?

There is a black cloud over this Texan team at the moment IMO

Still early in the season. Injuries are part of the game.

This...... times like this,

this is what separates the good coaches from the.... :toropalm:

you're right, we're ****ed.

HTown2ATX
10-09-2011, 11:22 PM
MW injuries

1.Feet
2.Groin
3.Shoulder
4.Pectoral

Armchair or not the facts dont support your argument. Sorry.... wish I and many others were wrong. Believe me I get no pleasure in pointing this out. But felt it was relevent.

He has had those injuries, but he played through a lot of them and I have to give him his due so far this season in a new system and position.

I would consider it more of a waste were he to T-Mac or Yao it up which he is not close to doing yet.

VTexan
10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
MW injuries

1.Feet
2.Groin
3.Shoulder
4.Pectoral

Not really....

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
MW injuries

1.Feet
2.Groin
3.Shoulder
4.Pectoral

1 - sacks
2 - tackles
3 - assist
4 - forced fumbles

All in one year. His injuries are spread out over 5 years. In a brutal contact sport no less.

/end thread

steelbtexan
10-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Winner biggest Douche on TT Award congrads!

Thanks

Attack the post not the poster.

Is MW's injury history not true?

hradhak
10-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks

Sure he has an injury history, but he has always played through it. His numbers are still good and he is still productive. He maybe injured but he doesn't miss too many games. This will probably be his first extended absence during the season.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 11:41 PM

lets count the money AJ is making and he has missed just as many games in the last 2 seasons as M.W actually more.

b0ng
10-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Gary Kubiak is doomed.

steelbtexan
10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
lets count the money AJ is making and he has missed just as many games in the last 2 seasons as M.W actually more.

Along with Gary

I believe the inability of the Texans star players to stay healthy is a main factor in the Texans ability to get over the .500 hump. It's a real issue and I believe that Gary/Texans training staff/Medical Staff have all greatly contributed to this issue.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 11:53 PM
Along with Gary

I believe the inability of the Texans star players to stay healthy is a main factor in the Texans ability to get over the .500 hump. It's a real issue and I believe that Gary/Texans training staff/Medical Staff have all greatly contributed to this issue.

OK but how do you say we are wasting 14 mil a year on mario when AJ is making more and has sat out more but you say nothing about the money were spending on him ????

Dutchrudder
10-09-2011, 11:53 PM
I missed the game, what happened to Mario?

GuerillaBlack
10-09-2011, 11:58 PM
So, when do the Cowher signatures come back? Nothing you can really do about injuries, but Kubiak is not a good enough HC to will his team to more wins while the team goes through this injury bug.

DexmanC
10-10-2011, 12:00 AM
MW injuries

1.Feet
2.Groin
3.Shoulder
4.Pectoral

Sounds like that song, "Wipe me Down."
"Shoulders, Chest, Pants, Shoes"

steelbtexan
10-10-2011, 12:05 AM
OK but how do you say we are wasting 14 mil a year on mario when AJ is making more and has sat out more but you say nothing about the money were spending on him ????

Same holds true for both.

But the difference is AJ is signed to a long term contract.

After this season a decision is going to have to be made on signing MW to a long term contract. I personally hope they dont spend the $$$$ on MW. It would be better spent on a true play making WR and a competent CB in FA. IMHO. Then as rmartin suggested a DE/OLB could be drafted high in the draft. This is a great yr for DE/OLB in the draft.

And said DE/OLB should have a better injury history than MW. This is if Reed doesn't have a really good yr this yr. Which I believe he can. This is just thinking outside the box.

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 12:05 AM
AJ 13 missed games

MW 3 career missed games

:toropalm:

WOW yeah mario is sure out a lot.

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 12:07 AM

I have been a big critic of Mario in the past, but this season he has been showing up and doing really well in this new 3-4 with Wade. No reason to shit on him right now for that Steelbtexan. I do understand what you're saying about a history of getting nicked up and all, but not exactly injured for entire seasons. He was playing his ass off before this happened though, so I see now reason to bash the guy right now bud.

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Same holds true for both.

But the difference is AJ is signed to a long term contract.

After this season a decision is going to have to be made on signing MW to a long term contract. I personally hope they dont spend the $$$$ on MW. It would be better spent on a true play making WR and a competent CB in FA. IMHO. Then as rmartin suggested a DE/OLB could be drafted high in the draft. This is a great yr for DE/OLB in the draft.

And said DE/OLB should have a better injury history than MW. This is if Reed doesn't have a really good yr this yr. Which I believe he can. This is just thinking outside the box.

OK so what ur saying is that it was dumb for the texans to sign AJ long term cause when they did he had already missed 8 career games. So the FO messed that one up.

I'm sorry but you dont let a talent like Mario just walk without atleast trying to sign him to a long term deal.

ThaJokaa
10-10-2011, 12:08 AM

Ur playing the what if game now, because im pretty positive that if he hadnt gotten injured and played all 16 games or most of the 16 game at the end of the season, ull prob be on ur knees in front of MW (not saying the rest). He has put up great numbers thus far, and how do you even know that he's out for the season? He pulled a chest muscle....

Hookem Horns
10-10-2011, 12:10 AM
We should've drafted Bush.

ThaJokaa
10-10-2011, 12:13 AM
We should've drafted Bush.

I think you ment Vince Young

Hookem Horns
10-10-2011, 12:25 AM
I think you ment Vince Young

Yes, true. Vince would have scored on that last play. :kitten:

steelbtexan
10-10-2011, 12:30 AM
I'm just saying that the $$$$ would be better spent in FA on a WR like Jordy Nelson and a FA CB like Carlos Rodgers than MW. Then you can draft BPA in the draft. I also belive Reed is going to do the job in place of MW.

Maybe not be the impact player MW is but a very credible job.

steelbtexan
10-10-2011, 12:32 AM

LOL

He probably would've called the wrong play.

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 12:33 AM
I'm just saying that the $$$$ would be better spent in FA on a WR like Jordy Nelson and a FA CB like Carlos Rodgers than MW. Then you can draft BPA in the draft. I also belive Reed is going to do the job in place of MW.

Maybe not be the impact player MW is but a very credible job.

i have to disagree i say resign Mario to a long term deal draft a big physical WR in the 1st/2nd. Mario is the heart and soul of our D line what did brooks do today when he took marios spot ? Nothing that impacted the game, hell mario had a sack right before his injury

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 12:37 AM
So, when do the Cowher signatures come back? Nothing you can really do about injuries, but Kubiak is not a good enough HC to will his team to more wins while the team goes through this injury bug.

I say we have voodoo parties & put hexes on the teams remaining on our schedule.

:voodoo:

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 12:39 AM
I say we have voodoo parties & put hexes on the teams remaining on our schedule.

:voodoo:

i had one this morning after the game when i started sobering up i realized i had used my Schaub doll :toropalm:. Heyyyyy shit happens

steelbtexan
10-10-2011, 12:39 AM
i have to disagree i say resign Mario to a long term deal draft a big physical WR in the 1st/2nd. Mario is the heart and soul of our D line what did brooks do today when he took marios spot ? Nothing that impacted the game, hell mario had a sack right before his injury

I respect this and it's probably the way the Texans will go. In fact franchising MW and trading him would be the way to go. I just want a guy that can be counted on to play 16 games. Reed will end up being a good player by the end of the yr. IMHO

Plus you can use the $$$$ to fill more holes. This all depends on if Rick/Gary keep their jobs.

Hookem Horns
10-10-2011, 12:40 AM
LOL

He probably would've called the wrong play.

With the way Kubiak has been calling these games down the stretch that would be a bad thing?

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 12:41 AM
I respect this and it's probably the way the Texans will go. In fact franchising MW and trading him would be the way to go. I just want a guy that can be counted on to play 16 . Reed will end up being a good player by the end of the yr. IMHO

Plus you can use the $$$$ to fill more holes. This all depends on if Rick/Gary keep their jobs.

Again though dont be biased. AJ is on the top of that cant perform 16 games list. When Mario is in the game he is a force to be reckoned with. Up till this point he has only missed 3 career games and that was ALL at the end of last season. other than that he has played all 16 games every season.

i do see what ur saying BUT using the excuse about him always missing games because of injuries is not valid. May he be injured, sure but he usually plays through them.

steelbtexan
10-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Good point

It couldn't be much worse? Right

GP
10-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Brooks Reed looked lost out there. When GlassHalfFull saw me at halftime in the concourse area, she told me Mario was out.

I began watching to see how Reed would turn out, playing Mario's place out there. To me, he looked lost out there.

Mario in, things were too hot for Campbell to handle. Mario out, he had time to make throws and the defense was on their heels a lot.

HOWEVER......

Do you tie up your financial resources in Mario Williams after this season? How do the dollars for Mario's new contract affect what we can do elsewhere? The Texans are going to have to make some tough decisions.

I think the team is about to hit that magical wall they always hit, where they start thinking about the old "Geez, we suck. Wonder if I'll be here next year?" scenarios.

We got beat by The Janitor's leg and a fake punt. And Schaub's patented "Doh!" moments. It was a Bermuda Triangle of Doh!

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Brooks Reed looked lost out there. When GlassHalfFull saw me at halftime in the concourse area, she told me Mario was out.

I began watching to see how Reed would turn out, playing Mario's place out there. To me, he looked lost out there.

Mario in, things were too hot for Campbell to handle. Mario out, he had time to make throws and the defense was on their heels a lot.

HOWEVER......

Do you tie up your financial resources in Mario Williams after this season? How do the dollars for Mario's new contract affect what we can do elsewhere? The Texans are going to have to make some tough decisions.

I think the team is about to hit that magical wall they always hit, where they start thinking about the old "Geez, we suck. Wonder if I'll be here next year?" scenarios.

We got beat by The Janitor's leg and a fake punt. And Schaub's patented "Doh!" moments. It was a Bermuda Triangle of Doh!

Brooks Redd is not and will never be Mario, And i think half the blame for jacoby getting thrown at 11 times and catching 1 is on him. He is not a good route runner at all, he dont have the smarts to run the other way to get open for his QB whos trying to make a play. instead he stops, stands there and lets the CB run in and take the ball

The Third Man
10-10-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks

Attack the poster? You've got off easy. The stupidity of this thread makes you a prime candidate to be tarred and feathered.

Find me an NFL lineman who has not a string of injuries over the course of their career. It's a contact sport. It's not like his injuries came from being out of shape.

There should seriously be a 24 hour waiting period to start new threads after a loss. A decade of failure has turned a lot of you into imbeciles.

Titanic_sub
10-10-2011, 02:28 AM
*Titans fan chiming in don't hate because I'm not here to troll I swear!*

As a fan of a team who saw Kenny Britt end his season just be happy that even if Mario is done for the season at least you know he'll be coming back 100% when he does. With Kenny's injury you never know, he might not ever be the same player again.

BullNation4Life
10-10-2011, 08:54 AM
MW injuries

1.Feet - 4.5 sacks
2.Groin - 8.5 sacks
3.Shoulder - 9 sacks
4.Pectoral - 5 sacks

I listed his sack numbers in bold during the times he was hurt, not sure on the groin, it was either 8.5 or 12 on that year. 3 of the 4 years he was hurt, he still lead the team in sacks and if memory served me played through most of the year with the groin and shoulder injury... Hell the dude has only missed 3 games due to injury and that was the last 3 of last year when the year was already decided a failure....

and these are just sacks in which only fools and people who do not understand the game of football only go by sacks. Mario Williams does so much more that does not get put in the stat sheet that we as fans, or those not paying attention, do not see and it's those things that makes is value worth the 14 mil.

You can take your VY or Bush colored glasses off dude and need to let it go, it was 5 years ago, only fans of this team think he is a waste, others that KNOW the NFL have stated he is worth every penny...Like I said, I;ll choose the opinion of those who ACTUALLY played in the league over armchair GMs 7 days a week, twice on Sunday....

BullNation4Life
10-10-2011, 08:57 AM
*Titans fan chiming in don't hate because I'm not here to troll I swear!*

As a fan of a team who saw Kenny Britt end his season just be happy that even if Mario is done for the season at least you know he'll be coming back 100% when he does. With Kenny's injury you never know, he might not ever be the same player again.

Absolutely right, Britt may never get that speed he once had back with a torn ACL, rarely does someone come back from that the same as before.

A pec tear will heal and Mario will continue to reek havoc in the backfield...

Sorry about yall's loss dude, we are kinda feeling it here in Houston missing AJ for the next few weeks.

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 09:05 AM

The decision isn't: Brooks Reed or Mario Williams. Re-signing Mario means giving him a huge signing bonus and a deal worth around $12-$15 per year. The real question is whether that money can be better spent. I think it can. That being said, of course the Texans are worse without Mario this year. After all, he is almost 15% of our salary cap and he can't produce anything on I.R. Hopefully, it's a grade one tear and we can get him back in a few weeks.

Kaiser Toro
10-10-2011, 09:08 AM
The decision isn't: Brooks Reed or Mario Williams. Re-signing Mario means giving him a huge signing bonus and a deal worth around $12-$15 per year. The real question is whether that money can be better spent. I think it can. That being said, of course the Texans are worse without Mario this year. After all, he is almost 15% of our salary cap and he can't produce anything on I.R. Hopefully, it's a grade one tear and we can get him back in a few weeks.

How much do you think the salary cap is this year, and how much do you think Mario's contract is this year?

BullNation4Life
10-10-2011, 09:10 AM

HOWEVER......

Reed did look lost out there but so did Mario when he first started. Mario started to look more comfortable the more reps he got and I think Reed will do the same now that he maybe running exclusively with the 1st team..

It may take Reed a game or 2 plus the Bye to get fully acclimated with the 1st team, hopefully sooner but this is my assumption...

b0ng
10-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I just want a guy that can be counted on to play 16 games.

We should get rid of AJ too. Going by this logic at least.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Again though dont be biased. AJ is on the top of that cant perform 16 games list. When Mario is in the game he is a force to be reckoned with. Up till this point he has only missed 3 career games and that was ALL at the end of last season. other than that he has played all 16 games every season.

i do see what ur saying BUT using the excuse about him always missing games because of injuries is not valid. May he be injured, sure but he usually plays through them.

He's played all 16 games, but very few were 100% healthy. The man is a warrior. I was actually saying we're finally in a position that he can sit out for minor injuries & get more 100% games from him.

Yesterday's game didn't change any of that. Antonio still had a good game & Brooks is coming along.

I noticed Antonio sitting out quite a bit, is he nicked up as well? The defense did as well as expected, maybe even better. But when your offense can't stay on the field, it makes it difficult to consistently pressure the QB. Our offensive 3 & outs killed our defense.

I don't think so. The Raiders did nothing for the entire first half.. Mario went out in the 1st Qtr. There were still good plays defensively in the second half... Antonio was still doing his thing & Cushing stepped it up.

Reed did look lost out there but so did Mario when he first started. Mario started to look more comfortable the more reps he got and I think Reed will do the same now that he maybe running exclusively with the 1st team..

It may take Reed a game or 2 plus the Bye to get fully acclimated with the 1st team, hopefully sooner but this is my assumption...

True.... even CMIII didn't look like CMIII as a rookie.

SheTexan
10-10-2011, 09:31 AM

So would DAVID CARR!! remember that Jags game when he dove over the pile for a TD? Sorry, I know you guys will spit needles just at the mention of the name, BUT, he did at least make a friggin effort to score!

back to topic!:shades: Mario and Demeco are the heart and soul of our D, and sometimes AS. Our D was AWFUL last year without Demeco, BUT, we didn't have Wade to pull them back together. IF anyone can patch up this D, with Mario out, Wade Phillips is the man to do it. We just gotta pray Demeco and AS stay healthy. JJ Watt is coming along nicely, and I believe Reed will do the same! BOTH good rooks with good attitudes! They have their chance to prove their worth, lets just hope they get the job done!!:d:

Texans34Life
10-10-2011, 09:49 AM
AdamSchefter
Texans LB Mario Williams has a torn pectoral muscle that will sideline him indefinitely if not for the remainder of the season.

Now who do we scramble and get off the FA list?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7083480/mario-williams-houston-texans-indefinitely-source-says

Houston Texans linebacker Mario Williams has a torn pectoral muscle that will sideline him indefinitely, if not for the remainder of the season, a person familiar with the injury told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Williams is undergoing more tests Monday to see if there's any hope the Texans could get him back later this season.

Williams appeared to be hurt while sacking Jason Campbell with about five minutes left in the first quarter of Houston's 25-20 loss to Oakland on Sunday.

He was taken to the locker room and did not return. Coach Gary Kubiak offered no specifics to Williams' condition after the game.

"I'm not a doctor, so I don't know," Kubiak said. "I hate to answer that right now in the state of mind I'm in. So let's see what happens. I'll get back with you when I find out."

Williams, the top overall pick in the 2006 draft, moved from defensive end to linebacker this season in Houston's new 3-4 defense. He has five sacks and a forced fumble this season.

The 6-foot-6, 285-pound Williams has led the Texans in sacks in each of his five seasons. He was slowed by a sports hernia late last year and underwent offseason surgery.

Houston is already playing with star receiver Andre Johnson, who sat out Sunday's game with a right hamstring injury.

The Texans (3-2) play at Baltimore (3-1) in Week 6.

False Start
10-10-2011, 09:51 AM
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii202/J4103V/ImageShacksharephotospicturesfreeimagehostingfreev ideohostingimagehostingvideohostingphotoimagehosti ngsitevideohostingsite-2.gif

This really sucks if true, and I have a bad feeling it probably is. Time for Brooks Reed to step his game up.

b0ng
10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Probably going to end up true.

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 10:02 AM
How much do you think the salary cap is this year, and how much do you think Mario's contract is this year?

I've seen Mario's number between $14 and $16 million. The salary cap is less than $120 million this year if you remove the ability to borrow $3 million from next year's cap.

blanco2424
10-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Take a good luck at him leaving because this will be the last time we see him in a texans uniform!

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 10:15 AM
1. Brooks Reed better pay off right now. Time to earn his paycheck.
2. Kubiak's built in "injuries killed our chances" excuse is coming on strong.

Maybe Reed has what it takes to step up and whip some ass.

HTown2ATX
10-10-2011, 10:17 AM

Plus the lockout so surely he'll probably get a contract extension if anything.

gtexan02
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM

Normally I'm not a fan of that excuse, but when your #1 offensive and #1 defensive player are both out for extended periods of time (not to mention the #2 offensive player) it actually does become more valid.

We've been without our top talent all year. The "everythings shaping up for the Texans" season is becoming completely derailed by injuries

Grams
10-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Normally I'm not a fan of that excuse, but when your #1 offensive and #1 defensive player are both out for extended periods of time (not to mention the #2 offensive player) it actually does become more valid.

We've been without our top talent all year. The "everythings shaping up for the Texans" season is becoming completely derailed by injuries

We are always being derailed by something. No excuses this year, I don't care who is done for the season. We don't win - Kubiak needs to go. There are 53 other players on the team that need to step up an contribute.

Look at all the injuries the Packers had last year and where did they end up??

b0ng
10-10-2011, 10:41 AM

Plenty of teams have done well with top players on IR or hurt through a portion of the season. This is where coaches are supposed to make their money.

gtexan02
10-10-2011, 10:42 AM
We are always being derailed by something. No excuses this year, I don't care who is done for the season. We don't win - Kubiak needs to go. There are 53 other players on the team that need to step up an contribute.

Who did the Packers lose that would be the equivalent of an Arian Foster, Mario Williams, or Andre Johnson?

Our team seems to be built on superstars with depth surrounding them. We have 2-3 amazing players on both sides of the ball with a bunch of lunch pail guys filling in the other spots.

When our big players go down, it destroys the gameplan. Its like whats happening to the Colts, but on a much, much smaller level

Buffi2
10-10-2011, 10:45 AM

Precisely.

I was just going to say the exact same thing. These players/coaches need to stop with the excuses already, start playing an entire game and finishing said game with or without top players.

Why bother to have more than 22 players if the others can't play.

rush2112mn
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Plus the lockout so surely he'll probably get a contract extension if anything.

I doubt he resigns with us....he will want to go back to play in a 4-3 system........I really believe that......

b0ng
10-10-2011, 10:46 AM
I doubt he resigns with us....he will want to go back to play in a 4-3 system........I really believe that......

based on. . .

Mario williams is out for season with torn pectoral muscle and will have surgery this week.

houstonspartan
10-10-2011, 10:55 AM
I smell an extension and big raise for Kubiak. Never mind that Green Bay won the Super Bowl with an injured team. Kubiak will ride this injury wave into next season.

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 10:57 AM
We are so beyond ****ed.

Good LORD, man.

Honoring Earl 34
10-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Bryan Braman gets his chance . :cowboy1:

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 11:03 AM

So. Lets say we get to the Super Bowl, or just the AFC Championship game.

If the Texans get to the AFC Championship game, does that change your opinion of Gary Kubiak? Do you sign him to a long term extension? or do you make him do it again?

GuerillaBlack
10-10-2011, 11:06 AM

If the Texans get to the AFC Championship game, does that change your opinion of Gary Kubiak? Do you sign him to a long term extension? or do you make him do it again?

If Kubiak can do that, then he deserves an extension. The thing is, he won't.

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by John McClain's twitter
Mario williams is out for season with torn pectoral muscle and will have surgery this week.

This is what I was trying to get across to those that were pointing out that following the injury Mario was not showing any significant signs of distress....and therefore it is probably a minor problem. With even the worst of pectoral injuries, as long as the arms are maintained down and to the patient's side, they will typically have only minimal to moderate pain with no outward signs of debilitation. It is only when they try to lift their arms, especially in an upward and forward motion (moreso against resistance), that they will be made acutely aware of their injury.

MODS, please merge this thread with the MARIO INJURY thread.

houstonspartan
10-10-2011, 11:10 AM

What's your point?

And, for the record, no, I wouldn't give Kubiak an extension. I would let him play out his current contract and then re-evaluate.

Mr teX
10-10-2011, 11:14 AM
adam shefter reported it...he just doesn't put that stuff out there, he's pretty reliable........:toropalm:

Honoring Earl 34
10-10-2011, 11:17 AM
adam shefter reported it...he just doesn't put that stuff out there, he's pretty reliable........:toropalm:

McClain via twitter says he's out for the year . :toropalm:

houstonspartan
10-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Except for when he said Kevin Walker broke his shoulder and would be out for 12 weeks.

Grams
10-10-2011, 11:18 AM

It would,

But he will not get us to the AFC Championship game. We will probably not even make the playoffs, much less win our division.

We have 1 WR out - granted it is AJ - but where are the other receivers and TEs at the end of the game. Who stepped up their game to make up for the loss of AJ????

Vickers - he needs to be thrown out with the bath water along with JJ - both are completely useless.

The Defense lost Mario in the first qtr. They at least kept us close and did a good job on McFadden.

Jackie Chiles
10-10-2011, 11:19 AM
This is such a total bummer, Mario has been so much fun to watch this season and I would have loved to see the damage he could do in 16 games. We are going to miss him when we need that big sack but I think Brooks Reed is going to come in and wreck a few gameplans along the way and we still have a lot of talent on defense.

TimeKiller
10-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Dear Jeebus,

What the hell did we ever do to you?

Signed,
The City of Houston, Texas

hradhak
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Sports 790 is reporting that Mario is undergoing surgery today.
It's sad to think that he's gone for the season. Mario was really getting into the role as a 3-4 and I was thinking he'd probably have his best season yet this year. I'm hoping that we can resign him, but I have a feeling we don't have the cap space.

b0ng
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
Texans gonna roll out the honkey crew at OLB.

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
This injury hurts, no doubt. However, he is less essential to the success of the team than about 10 other players, IMO. I don't think his absence will effect the pass rush very much. However, it is going to hurt our rush defense. If A.Smith and Watt stay healthy and Mitchell can continue to improve, the hits on the QB will keep coming. Reed/Braman don't have to get sacks, they just have to hit that edge and force the QB forward into the pocket. They can do that. Also, Wade will be able to disguise the rush more with a true tweener on the weak side.

Key for the season: OTs stay healthy and AJ comes back very, very soon!

I think the Casey injury is just as big of an issue for the team. Hopefully, he's not gone for the season (no, that doesn't mean I think Casey is better than Mario).

b0ng
10-10-2011, 11:28 AM
This injury hurts, no doubt. However, he is less essential to the success of the team than about 10 other players, IMO. I don't think his absence will effect the pass rush very much. However, it is going to hurt our rush defense. If A.Smith and Watt stay healthy and Mitchell can continue to improve, the hits on the QB will keep coming. Reed/Braman don't have to get sacks, they just have to hit that edge and force the QB forward into the pocket. They can do that. Also, Wade will be able to disguise the rush more with a true tweener on the weak side.

I think the Casey injury is just as big of an issue for the team. Hopefully, he's not gone for the season (no, that doesn't mean I think Casey is better than Mario).

Would love to hear the 10 names you are thinking of.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
10-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Even with injuries, this better be playoffs or bust for Kubiak.

TexCanada
10-10-2011, 11:46 AM

I guess you didn't watch the second half yesterday? You know, the one where Oakland's offense was significantly better then when Mario was playing?

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 11:47 AM

Same here, considering Mario is probably the best defensive player we have. We don't have Mario Williams and we don't have Andre Johnson. That's our best offensive player and our best defensive player.

Then it goes Foster, Joseph, Schaub, Cushing, and DeMeco...probably. Not to mention Tate and Ward, who are critical to Foster's success.

Pollardized
10-10-2011, 11:51 AM
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-Mario-Williams-out-for-the-season-2210530.php

disaacks3
10-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Yep, surgery for the torn Pec. Not sure what I think about the Texans chances now.

Texans34Life
10-10-2011, 11:53 AM
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Who did the Packers lose that would be the equivalent of an Arian Foster, Mario Williams, or Andre Johnson?

Our team seems to be built on superstars with depth surrounding them. We have 2-3 amazing players on both sides of the ball with a bunch of lunch pail guys filling in the other spots.

When our big players go down, it destroys the game plan. Its like whats happening to the Colts, but on a much, much smaller level

Every team deals with injuries.....this is NOT a excuse.

As far as the packers go... Ryan Grant, Jermichael Finley, and Nick Barnet..and a LOT more players

And why are you listing Arian Foster and Andre Johnson as "players lost"? They are players who missed/will miss games, but they will both be back. Players miss game ALL THE TIME, it's a norm in this league.

Sorry the injury excuse doesn't remotely fly here. The Titans actually LOST their #1 wideout and that is the team we'll have to compete with in order to win this division. NO EXCUSES, Kubiak either takes this team to the playoffs or he gets canned.

as far as Mario goes, it's time to accept the fact that he's injury prone. There's ALWAYS something wrong with him and he always gets banged up every year...the only difference here is he finally got a injury that sidelined him. Oh well, this is why we drafted Brooks Reed, which now looks like a great decision. Imagine how fast we'd be scrambling right now if we didn't make that pick? let's see what he can do and honestly he didn't play that bad when he came into the game. This could actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise for us. Look at it this way, Brooks Reed will now get MUCH valuable on the field experience and Mario Williams just became much MUCH more affordable to re-sign in the offseason.

Pollardized
10-10-2011, 11:56 AM
This sucks big time. I liked the effort Braman showed in TC and so far on special teams. Him and Reed need to step up now.....

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 11:57 AM
There's already another thread.

TheMatrix31

Just "another"? There are like 17 ****ing threads.

Pollardized

YEah Yeah Yeah.. I see it now in the other Mario Hurt thread.. Sue me... :kingkong:

dream_team
10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
It's seems to be official... Mario out for the season. More and more outlets are starting to report it.

It's a shame, Mario was on pace for a career season... as well as this defense.

This injury will answer alot of the debates that go on in this forum. Is Mario worth the big money? Should Mario go back to DE and have Brooks Reed play OLB? Is Brooks Reed a better OLB than Mario?

From my view, Reed hasn't been too impressive. He's fast, but gets pushed out of the play too easily. I think he needed more time to learn to become an every down starter. He's going to need to learn fast now and step up!

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Andre Johnson being out for 3 games is more important than Kenny Britt being out for the rest of the year.

I don't give a shit.

TexCanada
10-10-2011, 12:12 PM
It's seems to be official... Mario out for the season. More and more outlets are starting to report it.

It's a shame, Mario was on pace for a career season... as well as this defense.

This injury will answer alot of the debates that go on in this forum. Is Mario worth the big money? Should Mario go back to DE and have Brooks Reed play OLB? Is Brooks Reed a better OLB than Mario?

From my view, Reed hasn't been too impressive. He's fast, but gets pushed out of the play too easily. I think he needed more time to learn to become an every down starter. He's going to need to learn fast now and step up!

From the brief view that I've had of Reed so far, I thought he was doing exactly what Mario was doing too much of a couple years ago, just trying to get to the QB with a speed-to-the-outside rush. It seemed like Reed was ending up 2 or 3 yards past the QB, as the Tackle just used his speed against him and guided him well into the backfield.

I have high hopes for Reed, but I am worried that he just isn't quite ready yet. My thoughts don't matter now though as he is the next man up.

Maddict5
10-10-2011, 12:15 PM
This sucks big time. I liked the effort Braman showed in TC and so far on special teams. Him and Reed need to step up now.....

looked to me like he was the one that f'ed up on the punt block yesterday. for some reason he blocked inside on some1 elses guy eventhough barber was pointing for him to take one of the two outside guys. 1 of those 2 got round barber and got a hand in

steelbtexan
10-10-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks Dale, this is what I was saying.

The $$$$ could be better spent. IMHO

Of course I knew all of the MW nut huggers would come out in full force. But it made for an interesting conversation.

You want Jordy Nelson at WR2, How about NT Paul Soliai or CB Carlos Rodgers? If you franchise MW you could probably trade him for a 1st and a 3rd and sign atleast 2 if not all 3 of those guys in FA and upgrade the team.

So say you had 2 1st, 2 3rds Jordy Nelson and Carlos Rodgers. Would the team be better? We're about to find out what this team will be without MW. I think some are going to be suprised.

BTW, In FA the Texans are going to have to choose between keeping AF or MW. Which way would you go? Give me AF.

VTexan
10-10-2011, 12:22 PM
http://nfltraderumors.co/2012-nfl-free-agents/

lots of good pro-bowl WR's in that list.

I could see a sign and trade happening for Mario. Now that he is done for the year, I can't see us paying him more than 10 mil a year. If he accepts that? sure, I'd love to have him back. But I'm not sure I would franchise him (as I would foster).

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Andre Johnson being out for 3 games is more important than Kenny Britt being out for the rest of the year.

I don't give a shit.

LOL, :toropalm:

I love Andre, but that's just not true at all. What a complete homer statement.

b0ng
10-10-2011, 12:36 PM
as far as Mario goes, it's time to accept the fact that he's injury prone.

Are we applying the same thought process to Andre?

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 12:40 PM
LOL, :toropalm:

I love Andre, but that's just not true at all. What a complete homer statement.

Why isn't it true? Andre is a Top 10 NFL player and the best wide receiver in the game. Kenny Britt is the #1 receiver on a Titans team that is generally worthless and has been predicated on Chris Johnson for the last couple of years. The only reason Kenny Britt was worth even the slightest of damns early this year was because Matt Hasselbeck is a decent quarterback.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Are we applying the same thought process to Andre?

If I have to be completely honest....yep, we are. Andre Johnson is also developing a injury prone label. Especially with his lower body, he's always getting leg injuries. With Mario it's usually his upper body.

b0ng
10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
If I have to be completely honest....yep, we are. Andre Johnson is also developing a injury prone label. Especially with his lower body, he's always getting leg injuries. With Mario it's usually his upper body.

Can't really debate the point then.

I'm thinking that Mario gets franchised or gets re-signed anyway by the Texans. Bob has shown that he likes 1st round picks who produce and I think Mario showed in the 5 games that he played that he can work in a 3-4 defense. I mean shit, they franchised Dunta Robinson and I'm sure a lot more people thought he wasn't worth that kind of money for 1 year. I think they are going to do that whether it's the right move or not.

I'm not sure if there are too many coaches who would say no to having a guy like Williams on the team (who knows this is rampant speculation at this point) if Kubiak gets the axe after the season. Who really knows. I guess it does hinge on how Brooks Reed does trying to fill that role.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 12:51 PM
Why isn't it true? Andre is a Top 10 NFL player and the best wide receiver in the game. Kenny Britt is the #1 receiver on a Titans team that is generally worthless and has been predicated on Chris Johnson for the last couple of years. The only reason Kenny Britt was worth even the slightest of damns early this year was because Matt Hasselbeck is a decent quarterback.

LMAO, it's not true....because it simply ISN'T remotely true. Through 3 games Kenny Britt had 289 receiving yards and 3 TDs....that about a 100 yards and a score a game. With only 7 starts last year he had 775 yards and 9 TDs. :rolleyes: A lot of Titan fans now feel he's their best player on their team...yes even over Chris Johnson who's completely inconsistent. Sorry but saying the Texans missing Andre Johnson for 3 games is a bigger blow than the Titans missing Kenny Britt for the entire year is a completely homer thing to say and it simply isn't true.

If everything the Texans are saying is true (which I have absolutely 0 confidence in, but for this argument let's say they're correct) Andre will only miss a couple of more games and then he'll be back on the field again......Kenny Britt ain't walking through that door until next season.

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 12:51 PM

I don't give a shit.

Probably true but only because we've made no effort to improve the depth behind him. If there was one other quality WR in the group it would be something you deal with a move on. Instead it's liable to be 3 losses.

That's on Gary right there. He'll get no argument from me about that.

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Probably true but only because we've made no effort to improve the depth behind him. If there was one other quality WR in the group it would be something you deal with a move on. Instead it's liable to be 3 losses.

Yep.

HOU-TEX
10-10-2011, 12:59 PM
We should've kept Anderson. He's been decent for the Pats.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 01:05 PM

Where's all the great options behind Kenny Britt? They have faired no better with their WR depth than we have. In fact they have been worse. Their leading receiver yesterday only had 69 yards (Their leading receiver in the previous game only had 62 yards and that was even with a 57 yard reception) and since Britt went out Matt Hasslebeck has completed less than 60% of his passes and hasn't thrown for more than 262 yards... Schaub threw for 416 yards yesterday and that's WITH 7 batted passes.

Mr. Texan
10-10-2011, 01:08 PM
what is it with houston and injury prone star players? :toropalm:

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
You want Jordy Nelson at WR2, How about NT Paul Soliai or CB Carlos Rodgers? If you franchise MW you could probably trade him for a 1st and a 3rd and sign atleast 2 if not all 3 of those guys in FA and upgrade the team.

I think we franchise Mario, but won't get a 1st for him, much less a 1st & a 3rd, two years from playing DE... half a year at that. Mario is Mario & teams know what they can get from him, but it would have to be someone desperate for a DE to give Mario the money that's being talked about, plus give up a 1st & a 3rd.

I just don't see it..... we'll franchise him & screw our cap situation. Hopefully Mario wants to be a Texan, & Rick Smith can talk him into a multi-year deal now. Reasonable for his production over the last three years, injuries & all.

Then pull the rug from under him & trade him.

It's just business.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 01:11 PM

Where exactly is a foot, or a groin? & what part of the body does a "sports hernia" usually affect?

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Where exactly is a foot, or a groin? & what part of the body does a "sports hernia" usually affect?

Yep, you're right...Mario is just banged up everywhere.

It's a miracle he hasn't missed significant time a lot sooner. Look on the bright side though...the man just became much MUCH more affordable to re-sign.

houstonspartan
10-10-2011, 01:20 PM
I think it's time we take a hard look at our strength and conditioning staff. Something is not right.

bckey
10-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Resigning Mario will also depend on what coaching staff is here.

TexCanada
10-10-2011, 01:28 PM
I think it's time we take a hard look at our strength and conditioning staff. Something is not right.

Yup, this sucks. We are now looking at a season without Mario, Casey, and likely a less then 100% Andre. Add that to Butler's injury and we are looking incredibly thin at all positions on this team. Hopefully Ward and Tate aren't out too much longer.

TheMatrix31
10-10-2011, 01:29 PM

100% agreed on this. Been saying it for a while.

Marcus
10-10-2011, 01:32 PM

Isn't that comment made every year whenever an injury occurs? With no substantiation whatsoever?

I know this is going to be a major shock to everyone, but the Texans' injury situation is no different than any other team.

kiwitexansfan
10-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I think we franchise Mario, but won't get a 1st for him, much less a 1st & a 3rd, two years from playing DE... half a year at that. Mario is Mario & teams know what they can get from him, but it would have to be someone desperate for a DE to give Mario the money that's being talked about, plus give up a 1st & a 3rd.

I just don't see it..... we'll franchise him & screw our cap situation. Hopefully Mario wants to be a Texan, & Rick Smith can talk him into a multi-year deal now. Reasonable for his production over the last three years, injuries & all.

Then pull the rug from under him & trade him.

It's just business.

I believe that could be the WORST thing you could do.

If you sign him to a new contract and then trade him you get all his signing bonus come onto the cap at once and we would be in cap HELL.

Confirmation I have this right?

mattieuk
10-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Damnmit.

I went away to the lake this weekend for Thanksgiving - and came back into civilization to find out Al Davis had died, the footballing gods had given Oakland the win, and that Mario is done for the year. Outside of still being top of the AFC South there's very little consolation.

I'm staying inside a little bit more.

Ryan
10-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Resigning Mario will also depend on what coaching staff is here.

Who would not want Mario on their team in some way? We bag on him alot on here for some reason but every opposing team's message boards and fans think of him as a shoe-in All Pro and just a dominant force, and that's the way the media thinks of him as well.

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 02:20 PM

Names of players that would have a bigger impact on the Texans' season this year:

Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Eric Winston
Chris Myers
Matt Schaub
Antonio Smith
Brian Cushing
Johnathan Joseph
Arian Foster
Connor Barwin

others that may have a bigger impact:

James Casey
Wade Smith
J.J. Watt
Demeco Ryans

The list is not a list of "better" players but it takes into account the importance of the position, who the backup is, etc... I'm not a huge Eric Winston fan, but if he gets injured, the ramifications of D. Newton starting at RT would be much greater than missing out on Mario's production.

Barwin may not be a better pass rusher (yet), but his skill set and ability to drop into coverage and speed rush is an essential part of the defense, IMO.

If you notice, I don't include other very good and valuable people on the list: Owen Daniels, Ben Tate, Glover Quin, Daniel Manning... because I think the Texans can adapt reasonably well to those losses unless they are compounded by others at the same position.

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Who would not want Mario on their team in some way? We bag on him alot on here for some reason but every opposing team's message boards and fans think of him as a shoe-in All Pro and just a dominant force, and that's the way the media thinks of him as well.

How many consecutive probowls did safety Roy Williams go to? 5 or 6? How many players would argue that Michael Vick is a better QB than Drew Brees? Popularity doesn't make something true.

That being said, since we have paid for Mario this year, I certainly regret the injury and wish he could be on the field for us. Since it is way too late to wipe out the cap hit and replace him (this year) with three very good players in free agency, I wish he could be on the field. We're better with him than without him.

JVL713
10-10-2011, 02:34 PM
@DerrickWard32
Derrick Ward
Oh yea. To all my Texan fans I'm BACK!!!!

forgot how to make it look nice, but he tweeted that an hour ago. Don't know how good of shape he will be in though after having to stay off the ankle

JVL713
10-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Yup, this sucks. We are now looking at a season without Mario, Casey, and likely a less then 100% Andre. Add that to Butler's injury and we are looking incredibly thin at all positions on this team. Hopefully Ward and Tate aren't out too much longer.

didnt include this in last post :toropalm:

BigBull17
10-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Names of players that would have a bigger impact on the Texans' season this year:

Andre Johnson
Duane Brown
Eric Winston
Chris Myers
Matt Schaub
Antonio Smith
Brian Cushing
Johnathan Joseph
Arian Foster
Connor Barwin

James Casey
Wade Smith
J.J. Watt
Demeco Ryans

The list is not a list of "better" players but it takes into account the importance of the position, who the backup is, etc... I'm not a huge Eric Winston fan, but if he gets injured, the ramifications of D. Newton starting at RT would be much greater than missing out on Mario's production.

Barwin may not be a better pass rusher (yet), but his skill set and ability to drop into coverage and speed rush is an essential part of the defense, IMO.

If you notice, I don't include other very good and valuable people on the list: Owen Daniels, Ben Tate, Glover Quin, Daniel Manning... because I think the Texans can adapt reasonably well to those losses unless they are compounded by others at the same position.

Why stop there? Sure there is an equipment manager who would hurt us more to lose. David Anderson should ave made your list. You do you realize that you are basically a joke now right? Any good thought you have is lost due to your idiotic, blind Mario hate. People throw the word hater around alot, but you are. Did he steal your lunch money? At least other people make well thought out intellectual arguments for or against him.

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Where's all the great options behind Kenny Britt? They have faired no better with their WR depth than we have. In fact they have been worse. Their leading receiver yesterday only had 69 yards (Their leading receiver in the previous game only had 62 yards and that was even with a 57 yard reception) and since Britt went out Matt Hasslebeck has completed less than 60% of his passes and hasn't thrown for more than 262 yards... Schaub threw for 416 yards yesterday and that's WITH 7 batted passes.

Their entire offense isn't based on having Kenny Britt, at least not yet. Might be in a few years if he continues to pan out the way he's started. Right now they're about defense and running the football. Our offense apparently falls apart without Andre Johnson on the field.

Matt's 417 yards doesn't inspire much confidence in me since we only managed two touchdowns in EIGHT FIRST HALF POSSESSIONS.

Seven more chances in the second half netted us exactly 6 points. The stats are nice but the "W" wasn't to be had. 400 yards passing is meaningless when your defense gives you that many chances and you blow most of them.

Allstar
10-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Honestly, all these injuries suck but we are fortunate to have some depth this year. It paid off to run 4 deep at RB, we drafted Brooks Reed in the 2nd and signed Vickers to back up Casey. If only we signed a competent #2 receiver....

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Eric Winston

I'm not a huge Eric Winston fan, but if he gets injured, the ramifications of D. Newton starting at RT would be much greater than missing out on Mario's production.

Not to argue your point, but man did he have a bad game or what?

He was getting absolutely bullied. I know they all were, but I didn't ever expect to see Winston thrown back like that, so consistently, in the run game.

The run game...

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Why stop there? Sure there is an equipment manager who would hurt us more to lose. David Anderson should ave made your list. You do you realize that you are basically a joke now right? Any good thought you have is lost due to your idiotic, blind Mario hate. People throw the word hater around alot, but you are. Did he steal your lunch money? At least other people make well thought out intellectual arguments for or against him.

Why is that list crazy? Can't you disagree with it and understand the logic? The NFL isn't Madden football. A lot of variables go into the loss of a player. Of those 10 players I listed, I can't believe anyone would be considered unreasonable with the exception of Connor Barwin. What am I missing?

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Not to argue your point, but man did he have a bad game or what?

He was getting absolutely bullied. I know they all were, but I didn't ever expect to see Winston thrown back like that, so consistently, in the run game.

The run game...

The line was brutal! Winston, Smith, and Myers all had particularly poor games, I thought. I'm not sure why. That being said, it never occurred to me to let Newton play and see if he could do any better.

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Their entire offense isn't based on having Kenny Britt, at least not yet. Might be in a few years if he continues to pan out the way he's started. Right now they're about defense and running the football. Our offense apparently falls apart without Andre Johnson on the field.

Matt's 417 yards doesn't inspire much confidence in me since we only managed two touchdowns in EIGHT FIRST HALF POSSESSIONS.

Seven more chances in the second half netted us exactly 6 points. The stats are nice but the "W" wasn't to be had. 400 yards passing is meaningless when your defense gives you that many chances and you blow most of them.

Despite it being Matt's best fantasy performance of the year, he looked pretty bad. I wish I knew how much of it was related to poor route running by Jacoby. I also wish I knew what was going on with those 7 pass deflections. Good grief!

You are right. We have to have AJ in there unless/until we get a legitimate deep threat to back him up. Jacoby just isn't the guy.

BigBull17
10-10-2011, 03:34 PM
Why is that list crazy? Can't you disagree with it and understand the logic? The NFL isn't Madden football. A lot of variables go into the loss of a player. Of those 10 players I listed, I can't believe anyone would be considered unreasonable with the exception of Connor Barwin. What am I missing?

Did you watch yesterday? The defense played ok, but they didn't look the same once Mario went out. I love smith, but he was damn near invisible when Oakland could focus on him. Mario is one of the corner stones on our team, I don't any logical person could argue that. Schaub, AJ, Dwayne Brown, J-Jo, then Mario. That's how it goes.

LikeMike
10-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Andre Johnson - True
Duane Brown - meh, if Butler wasn`t hurt it wouldn`t even be close
Eric Winston - no way
Chris Myers - no way
Matt Schaub - True
Antonio Smith - no way
Brian Cushing - no way
Johnathan Joseph - I´d say true since the other corners are hardly #2 material
Arian Foster - no way with Tate and Ward healthy
Connor Barwin - you are kidding, right?

James Casey - you are kidding right?
Wade Smith - no way
J.J. Watt - no way
Demeco Ryans - no way

A Schaub injury would hurt this team most - other than that I give you AJ and Joseph, most of all because of the lack of talent at their position. Duane Brown is close since Butler is hurt. But other than that he was our most important player on the team - he was a beast all season, our pass rusher will be missing more than a beat without him. And that means:

- more work for the DBs, so weaker DB play
- hard time in run defense, since no other OLB is even close to Marios level in this department, and the team will have to help out for passing plays

We might still make the playoffs, sure - the Titans are the only real threat. But no way are we going anywhere in the playoffs.

This injury sucks!

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 03:54 PM
A Schaub injury would hurt this team most - other than that I give you AJ and Joseph, most of all because of the lack of talent at their position. Duane Brown is close since Butler is hurt. But other than that he was our most important player on the team - he was a beast all season, our pass rusher will be missing more than a beat without him. And that means:

- more work for the DBs, so weaker DB play
- hard time in run defense, since no other OLB is even close to Marios level in this department, and the team will have to help out for passing plays

We might still make the playoffs, sure - the Titans are the only real threat. But no way are we going anywhere in the playoffs.

This injury sucks!

It does suck. Still, I'm hopeful that the defense can still play well without him. We will see.

welsh texan
10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd actually say there's a case to argue that Mario runs AJ pretty close in terms of the effect of him being out. All I've focussed on the last few weeks is Mario's effect on the rest of the D.

When you see the likes of Barwin, Watt, Smith all getting great pressure, Ryans & Cushing free to roam in the centre, hell, even Cody has been getting pressure!

Then you look at the DB's, you think JJo gets away with his gambler mentality time and again if the QB isn't too concerned about the pain thats coming his way the whole time? Let alone the #2 CB spot.

I'm scared right now. Real scared.

Andre has a similar effect on the O but I'd say it isn't quite the same, Arian was 'shut down' according to the announcers yesterday yet still got ~80 yards on the ground AND went off in the passing game. Thats on a day when the O-line didn't click!

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 04:05 PM

The Tenn titans were ran that way with Fisher...he's not there anymore. Kenny Britt was the Titans best player on the team this year and with Matt Hasselbeck they were starting to sling the ball around. Believe it or not, but Hasselbeck was actually off to the best start in his entire career and was on pace to set new career highs in just about every statistical category. I don't know if anybody has paid any attention to Britt since about the middle of last season, but he has become a force and is one hell of a up and coming receiver...he just can't stay healthy. He is their best offensive weapon though.

Sorry, but nobody is going to convince me that losing Andre Johnson for 3 games is worse than losing Kenny Britt for the entire season, because it simply isn't true. The Titans lack even more depth at receiver than we do without him...and Chris Johnson has been a big steaming pile this season. At least with Britt, they had someone to pull defenders out of the box for Johnson. That injury to Britt was devastating to them and most likely mortally wounded their team's chances at success this year.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 04:11 PM
I'd actually say there's a case to argue that Mario runs AJ pretty close in terms of the effect of him being out. All I've focused on the last few weeks is Mario's effect on the rest of the D.

When you see the likes of Barwin, Watt, Smith all getting great pressure, Ryans & Cushing free to roam in the centre, hell, even Cody has been getting pressure!

Then you look at the DB's, you think JJo gets away with his gambler mentality time and again if the QB isn't too concerned about the pain thats coming his way the whole time? Let alone the #2 CB spot.

I'm scared right now. Real scared.

Andre has a similar effect on the O but I'd say it isn't quite the same, Arian was 'shut down' according to the announcers yesterday yet still got ~80 yards on the ground AND went off in the passing game. Thats on a day when the O-line didn't click!

Oh god, not this stuff again. Mario Williams is a great player, but he isn't and hasn't been the be all/end all of our defensive pressure this season (if this was year's past I'd agree with you) and he wasn't the only reason why other players were producing. Believe it or not...even when he went out of the game we were still able to pressure Jason Campbell. Andre Johnson is hands down more important to this team than Mario Williams and if He went out for the season you might as well stick a fork in it. We can survive him missing a few games, if he goes on I.R... we're done.

badboy
10-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Trying to keep up with thread that has gotten away from injury status. Links that I have not seen posted. Other similar but all qouting McClain's report from hours ago. Nothing more recent.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/228311/20111010/mario-williams-injury-out-for-the-season.htm

DX-TEX
10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
The pressure now is ALL on Brookes Reed. Can the guy play? Can Wade motivate him to be a destroyer of QB's? He is going to be scrutinized like no other rookie in our history has been.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 04:26 PM
The pressure now is ALL on Brookes Reed. Can the guy play? Can Wade motivate him to be a destroyer of QB's? He is going to be scrutinized like no other rookie in our history has been.

??? Really? I think we could play another 100 seasons and the guy who's going on I.R. today will always hold that title.

DX-TEX
10-10-2011, 04:28 PM
??? Really? I think we could play another 100 seasons and the guy who's going on I.R. today will always hold that title.

Yeah because of the timing and ONLY the timing. This was the year, this was the year it was ALL going to change. We were going to become relevant in the grand scheme of the NFL.

Took 7 seconds at the end of yesterdays game to change that completely.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah because of the timing and ONLY the timing. This was the year, this was the year it was ALL going to change. We were going to become relevant in the grand scheme of the NFL.

Took 7 seconds at the end of yesterdays game to change that completely.

Well if you think losing Mario is going to completely destroy every chance of success I can see why you'd feel that way. I think we still have the pieces to pick up the slack and move on and still be a damn good team.

We do need to start catching some luck in the injury department though.

badboy
10-10-2011, 04:37 PM
ESPN saying Mario "likely" out for season with pectoral surgery.

XI CMURDER IX
10-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Put Antonio Smith at OLB! :wadepalm:

CloakNNNdagger
10-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Kubiak on 610 confirms Mario to be placed on IR.

DX-TEX
10-10-2011, 05:05 PM
How about trading for Jarred Allen? Guy is leading the league in sacks but his team is in last place.

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
How about trading for Jarred Allen? Guy is leading the league in sacks but his team is in last place.

No cap room.

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 05:44 PM
well this is def not the best news i've heard all day

DX-TEX
10-10-2011, 05:44 PM
No cap room.

Cap manipulation is not "hard".

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 05:48 PM

Why don't we give our 2nd round pick a shot? People who are drafted in the top 2 rounds should have bona fide starting ability on your football team, that's how teams are built. You pick up starters in the top couple of rounds and then acquire depth/hopefully potential starters in the mid rounds and down.

If the Texans aren't comfortable with Brooks Reed starting then they should've never drafted him and once again they've made another mistake.

It's the Brooks Reed show now, it's time to see if the kid can play. Next man up.

badboy
10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
How about trading for Jarred Allen? Guy is leading the league in sacks but his team is in last place.Sure I'll trade Mario straight up.

VTexan
10-10-2011, 06:25 PM

Plays in a totally different system and the Vikings won't let him go for 2nd rounders. Would rather use those to get a top WR because that is actually possible. (ie bowe,djax)

Kimmy
10-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Dumb question .. is Mario an R or UR FA? Same with Foster ... can we use the franchise tag?

Rey
10-10-2011, 06:31 PM
This fuccin sucks.

The pass rush just took a step back despite what some have said about Mario's affect (or lack of) on the defense.

Hopefully Brooks Reed is better than Mario or just as good or slightly below or whatever in the hell people said about him when wanting to trade mario and start him.

Grams
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
This fuccin sucks.

The pass rush just took a step back despite what some have said about Mario's affect (or lack of) on the defense.

Hopefully Brooks Reed is better than Mario or just as good or slightly below or whatever in the hell people said about him when wanting to trade mario and start him.

No he isn't. Hopefully he will learn before it is too late this year.

PapaL
10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Time for Wade Phillips to earn his pay some more. What do you do when your best pass rusher goes on IR and you have a struggling team? Stay tuned...

dalemurphy
10-10-2011, 07:13 PM
Time for Wade Phillips to earn his pay some more. What do you do when your best pass rusher goes on IR and you have a struggling team? Stay tuned...

Man, that would suck if Antonio Smith went on the I.R. Good thing he hasn't.

Mario's injury is going to affect our rush defense more than the pass rush, I think. Now, if we lose another pass rusher, then we are in some real trouble.

Kimmy
10-10-2011, 07:50 PM
And the way it sounded to me, done as a Texan.

Kubiak was asked to the effect of coaching Mario for the last time ...

I feel bad for Mario. Heck of a player. What we're doing, it will blossom his career from now on. He was improving every day, every practice, every game. Never seen Mario so upbeat on what was going on and to lose him on a freak play. I'm disappointed for Mario. It's tough on the team.

Transcribed Kubiak Presser (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1799210&postcount=9)

BigBull17
10-10-2011, 07:57 PM
And the way it sounded to me, done as a Texan.

Kubiak was asked to the effect of coaching Mario for the last time ...

Transcribed Kubiak Presser (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1799210&postcount=9)

Yeah, I caught that. No way you let the anchor of your defense walk away. Glad Dale isn't in Gary's spot...:toropalm:

Wolf
10-10-2011, 08:01 PM
It isn't like we couldn't franchise him if we wanted to keep him
(unless I am missing something)

It depends on reed though. If he steps up.........

Lucky
10-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Dumb question .. is Mario an R or UR FA? Same with Foster ... can we use the franchise tag?
Mario will be an unrestricted free agent after this season. And the Texans can use the franchise tag on him.

Foster will still be an exclusive rights free agent after this season. He can only sign with the Texans.

BigBull17
10-10-2011, 08:04 PM
It isn't like we couldn't franchise him if we wanted to keep him
(unless I am missing something)

It depends on reed though. If he steps up.........

If Reed steps up, Barwin may be odd man out. Oopps, Barwin is one of the 74 people more important to the Texans than Mario...my bad.

Lucky
10-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Names of players that would have a bigger impact on the Texans' season this year
So you won't be playing the injury card to defend Kubiak, if he fails to win in 2011?

PapaL
10-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Man, that would suck if Antonio Smith went on the I.R. Good thing he hasn't.

Mario's injury is going to affect our rush defense more than the pass rush, I think. Now, if we lose another pass rusher, then we are in some real trouble.

You can argue for or against MW till cows come home. Fact of the matter is that was 4th in sacks and the D, the pass rush, and Smith all disappeared after MW went down.

I've been very vocal about MW always ALMOST getting a sack but from what I saw yesterday things changed after he went down. No one else almost got a sack AND no one else got a sack after his injury.

Let's see what schemes Wade comes up with. We are gonna need someone to step up, FACT,

BigBull17
10-10-2011, 08:19 PM
You can argue for or against MW till cows come home. Fact of the matter is that was 4th in sacks and the D, the pass rush, and Smith all disappeared after MW went down.

I've been very vocal about MW always ALMOST getting a sack but from what I saw yesterday things changed after he went down. No one else almost got a sack AND no one else got a sack after his injury.

Let's see what schemes Wade comes up with. We are gonna need someone to step up, FACT,

Actually think it was number 5, or 4.5. Somewhere along those lines. Sacks aren't the only think to look at when judgeing impact, but the fact that people who had been wreaking havoc instantly vanished is a big neon sign.

HJam72
10-10-2011, 08:19 PM
I believe we had 2 sacks after Mario went out: Brian Cushing and Troy Nolan.

The pressure definitely went down though.

BigBull17
10-10-2011, 08:20 PM
I believe we had 2 sacks after Mario went out: Brian Cushing and Troy Nolan.

The pressure definitely went down though.

And they had to use the blitz. Thats one thing they haven't had to do this year was send alot of blitzs. Just some stunts.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 08:21 PM

I'm rewatching the game..... Mario got his sack early in the 1st qtr... that's also when he got hurt & left the game. Jason Campbell was sacked twice after that.... & he's taking a beating in the second half. Tim Jamison even dusted his cleats off with him a couple of times.

Plenty of pressure without the big guy.

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 08:21 PM

actually nolan did get a sack after MW went out, but as far as the D-Line went i thought they all left the field when mario left and said the F with it. thats about as much as they did the whole game.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Damn we must be watching two completely different games, I still saw pressure after Mario went out...infact NFL.com already commented on it also.

After Williams got hurt against the Raiders on Sunday, the Texans kept a steady diet of pressure on quarterback Jason Campbell and hit him several times. They also did a solid job of not allowing too many big runs by tailback Darren McFadden. Players stepped up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823010c2/article/loss-of-williams-hurts-but-texans-still-can-win-division?module=HP11_content_stream

Our pass rush didn't fall off or completely disappear after Mario left the game. They kept suppling consistent pressure and almost went a whole other quarter without allowing a first down AFTER Mario went out. Not bad against a team that only allowed 1 sack on the season before yesterday's game.

pbat488
10-10-2011, 08:35 PM

david carr and kareem jackson say hello.

scratch that, pretty much every first round pick we've ever had who became instant starters say hello.

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Damn we must be watching two completely different , I still saw pressure after Mario went out...infact NFL.com already commented on it also.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d823010c2/article/loss-of-williams-hurts-but-texans-still-can-win-division?module=HP11_content_stream

Our pass rush didn't fall off or completely disappear after Mario left the game. They kept suppling consistent pressure and almost went a whole other quarter without allowing a first down AFTER Mario went out. Not bad against a team that only allowed 1 sack on the season before yesterday's game.

i understand what the stats say, but i noticed it, hell everyone noticed it once mario left our D line was almost to the point of ineffective. You can say the LBs and Safety continued to play well as Nolan and Cushing both got sacks BUT not the D-Line. Smith was invisible, i didnt hear his name once.

mussop
10-10-2011, 08:40 PM
This sucks big donkey balls but the mario nutt huggers on here are ridiculous. He was playing the run really well but despite his sack number he wasn't killing it in the pass rush department. And he was not our best or most important defensive player. Does it suck he's hurt? He'll yes! But the hype over this is as overblown as his pass rush skills.

Wonder if we are considering signing what's his name that had a tryout recently. You know the guy the jets cut? Blanking on his name for some reason.

EllisUnit
10-10-2011, 08:43 PM
This sucks big donkey balls but the mario nutt huggers on here are ridiculous. He was playing the run really well but despite his sack number he wasn't killing it in the pass rush department. And he was not our best or most important defensive player. Does it suck he's hurt? He'll yes! But the hype over this is as overblown as his pass rush skills.

Wonder if we are considering signing what's his name that had a tryout recently. You know the guy the jets cut? Blanking on his name for some reason.

ok we'll see how many more sacks this amazing d-line gets without him the rest of the season. they have 12 with him, and NONE once he went out sunday, so we'll finish this convo when the seasons over.

Lucky
10-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Vernon Gholston? I don't want that roid freak anywhere near Brian Cushing. Cush is on the 12 step program and it's working.

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 08:46 PM
i understand what the stats say, but i noticed it, hell everyone noticed it once Mario left our D line was almost to the point of ineffective. You can say the LBs and Safety continued to play well as Nolan and Cushing both got sacks BUT not the D-Line. Smith was invisible, i didn't hear his name once.

I didn't notice a big noticeable change and it's about pressure....who the heck cares WHERE it came from, we were still able to supply it. Also the Raiders oline has been lights out this season....they've made every Dline they face "disappear" this season.

Are we a better team without Mario...nope and we are going to have to do things differently scheme wise with him out, but does that mean I think the pass rush is going to go into the crapper also. Most definitely not, I still have a lot of confidence in Phillips ability to get after the opposing QB with the players we have on this roster.

mussop
10-10-2011, 08:48 PM
ok we'll see how many more sacks this amazing d-line gets without him the rest of the season. they have 12 with him, and NONE once he went out sunday, so we'll finish this convo when the seasons over.

You are wrong already. They have two sacks after he went out.

DocBar
10-10-2011, 08:54 PM
You are wrong already. They have two sacks after he went out.It took more rushers w/o MW than with MW to equal the same pressure, though. Losing MW is a huge blow.

Norg
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Could u image Mario in a packers Uni or even a steeler !!!!!!!!!! that would be scary

mussop
10-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Vernon Gholston? I don't want that roid freak anywhere near Brian Cushing. Cush is on the 12 step program and it's working.

I don't either but we have to sign someone. Just wondering if he is a consideration.

Does the NFL salary cap offer any kind of salary relief for injured players with big contracts? I know they do it in the NBA.

DocBar
10-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Give Gholston the benefit of the doubt. MW is gone, give anothe combine freak a shot.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 09:28 PM
i understand what the stats say, but i noticed it, hell everyone noticed it once mario left our D line was almost to the point of ineffective. You can say the LBs and Safety continued to play well as Nolan and Cushing both got sacks BUT not the D-Line. Smith was invisible, i didnt hear his name once.

I still saw Jamison, Barwin, Reed, & Smith get licks on Campbell.

I guarantee you ask Campbell how invisible our line was he'll tell you he never lost sight of them.

In New Orleans, when he wasn't out there, there was nothing from the line. Not so much vs Oakland, the guys were stepping up.

infantrycak
10-10-2011, 09:53 PM
I didn't notice a big noticeable change and it's about pressure....who the heck cares WHERE it came from, we were still able to supply it.

It matters whether you are sending four guys or seven to get pressure.

You are wrong already. They have two sacks after he went out.

Cushing and Nolan are on the Dline now?

Carr Bombed
10-10-2011, 10:03 PM

So the Texans will have to blitz more to get pressure...I guess nobody else in the league does that now? Hell alot of teams do nothing, but bring the heat..some DCs entire scheme is based on that.

This is still a 3-4 defense so I have no problem with the sacks coming from our OLBers or even ILBers in timely blitzes. Yes not having Mario is a blow, but look on a bright side. Teams aren't going to know who to key in on, because they won't know where the heat is coming from either.

DocBar
10-10-2011, 10:14 PM

As long as you get there it matters how? The Texans got there early and often. Campbell played a good game and hung in there knowing he would get clobbered. That's a distinct difference compared to Shoelace Schaub.

NitroGSXR
10-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Exactly. Jason Allen not, I am betting the outside blitzes had something to do with DHB's success. Basically relegating to 10 yard cushions because all the support is blitzing. It's all up to Phillips to disguise the loss of Mario's impact better.

The loss of Mario hurts... :(

BigBull17
10-10-2011, 10:17 PM
So the Texans will have to blitz more to get pressure...I guess nobody else in the league does that now? Hell alot of teams do nothing, but bring the heat..some DCs entire scheme is based on that.

This is still a 3-4 defense so I have no problem with the sacks coming from our OLBers or even ILBers in timely blitzes. Yes not having Mario is a blow, but look on a bright side. Teams aren't going to know who to key in on, because they won't know where the heat is coming from either.

Every team in the NFL would love to not have to blitz to get pressure. The less you blitz, the more you can leave in coverage. We were one of the teams that had good pressure packages without the blitz. Now, not so much.

Lucky
10-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Does the NFL salary cap offer any kind of salary relief for injured players with big contracts? I know they do it in the NBA.
Nope.

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 10:19 PM

Regardless.

We're talking about a team that only gave up 2 sacks in the previous five weeks. Did none of those teams blitz?

When Mario got his sack.... did we only send 4?

Did we only blitz "because" Mario left the game? I don't think so, I bet we played everything the same way we would have if Mario was in the game. Maybe Mario would have got another sack, maybe we'd have blitzed one, maybe two times less. Maybe three..... it doesn't really matter. That's not the point.

The Raiders haven't given up three sacks in any game this year, they did against what we were able to put on the field.