PDA

View Full Version : NFL stat shows Texans QB Schaub steps up in clutch

TejasTom
10-08-2011, 07:49 AM
The Texans' Matt Schaub received well-deserved respect this week when the NFL showed a statistic that measures quarterbacks under*pressure.

"Quality play at quarterback when the game is on the line" is the way the NFL worded*it.

In games decided by eight or fewer points since 2007, Schaub, 30, has a 99.1 rating - the highest in the*league.

In the last eight minutes of games, Schaub has thrown 52 touchdown passes and only 22 interceptions. He's the only quarterback among the top five with 30 more touchdowns than*interceptions.

"If you can manage your situations, keep your third downs manageable and execute the plays that are called against what the defenses are doing, you'll keep yourself in good shape," said Schaub, who has a 101.7 rating this season. "You have to be into what you're doing and what the defenses are trying to do to you, especially in crunch time when the game is on the*line."

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/NFL-stat-shows-Texans-QB-Schaub-steps-up-in-clutch-2208523.php

thunderkyss
10-08-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm truly surprised.. But I guess it's all in how you ask the question.

infantrycak
10-08-2011, 09:15 AM
No it isn't. Schaub has been clutch. People around here like to piss and moan and denigrate everything about the Texans because they aren't happy with the overall result (and we shouldn't be happy with the overall result). It has been patently obvious to anyone with a TV who is willing to put aside their agenda that Schaub has been very good late in games. Have there been mistakes? - you betcha. But watch the other teams and you find mistakes as well. That is what always baffles me. People judging the Texans up against some mythological perfect standard and ignoring the rest of the NFL, i.e. NFL reality.

redwhiteANDblue
10-08-2011, 09:21 AM
He's always been clutch in my mind. It's the defense that's screwed him over. Look at last year how many leads he took in the 4th only to let the defense come and send it to hell

drunkcookie
10-08-2011, 09:28 AM
No it isn't. Schaub has been clutch. People around here like to piss and moan and denigrate everything about the Texans because they aren't happy with the overall result (and we shouldn't be happy with the overall result). It has been patently obvious to anyone with a TV who is willing to put aside their agenda that Schaub has been very good late in games. Have there been mistakes? - you betcha. But watch the other teams and you find mistakes as well. That is what always baffles me. People judging the Texans up against some mythological perfect standard and ignoring the rest of the NFL, i.e. NFL reality.

Yah, I agree... A lot of the haters use the INT in OT in the Baltimore game last year as an example of Schaub not performing well in the clutch.... uhhhhh, doing well in the clutch got the Texans into OT to begin with..

These numbers don't lie, or mislead or anything... the factoid about his td/int ratio in the final eight minutes of games is impressive... If he's throwing in those last eight minutes, he's in the clutch... simple as that...

Now of course Schaub isn't some world-beater at QB, (and out of 32 of them there are only about six really), but you don't really need him to be... We have a great running game and now it seems we may have a pretty salty D (we shall see)... but I like how someone put it the other day, I think on the radio, that Schaub (paraphrasing) "is not in the top tier of NFL qbs, but that second tier? He's on top..."

Add to it that the guy is pretty good in the clutch, and this guy gives us a chance...

Air Canada
10-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Games that come to mind...

Last Season... The Redskins and Chiefs games... Even the Baltimore and the Jets games... Even though we lost those... :cowboy1:

Also that Titans game in 09' or the Dolphins game in 08' I believe... huge drive in the waning seconds and clutch play at the goal line with the QB Sneak to win it.... And there's some others as well...

Grams
10-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Games that come to mind...

Last Season... The Redskins and Chiefs games... Even the Baltimore and the Jets games... Even though we lost those... :cowboy1:

Also that Titans game in 09' or the Dolphins game in 08' I believe... huge drive in the waning seconds and clutch play at the goal line with the QB Sneak to win it.... And there's some others as well...

Jags game last year also - the defense gave that one away also.

thunderkyss
10-08-2011, 10:10 AM
No it isn't.

Yes it is.
People around here like to piss and moan and denigrate everything about the Texans because they aren't happy with the overall result (and we shouldn't be happy with the overall result).

That don't sound like me........ I've got the Koolaide Kart.

It has been patently obvious to anyone with a TV who is willing to put aside their agenda that Schaub has been very good late in games. Have there been mistakes? - you betcha. But watch the other teams and you find mistakes as well. That is what always baffles me. People judging the Texans up against some mythological perfect standard and ignoring the rest of the NFL, i.e. NFL reality.

Well, again, that's not me.

It's not about the mistakes that are made, it's about when they are made.

I think it's painfully obvious that Kubiak is slowing the game down for us, especially for Schaub. No 2 minute, no no huddle, no hurry up... we tend to make goofy mistakes at the end of close games..... not just Matt, but including Schaub.

I think he's trying to work some of that stuff into him, Matt's actually been calling real audibles this year, changing plays & stuff.

Lower scoring games favor us, because we are less likely to err.... With the QB handling the ball more than anyone else, he's the main guy you have to slow down.

infantrycak
10-08-2011, 10:20 AM
That don't sound like me....

I said people around here rather than you for a reason.

It's not about the mistakes that are made, it's about when they are made.

Yeah and having the best differential in the NFL shows the perception of Schaub having some great when problem is wrong in comparison to the NFL as a whole.

I think it's painfully obvious that Kubiak knows Schaub & Romo have one thing in common. They are both very talented, but neither are make their team mates better. I think Kubiak wants to slow the game down, for Matt especially.

Lower scoring games favor us, because we are less likely to err.... With the QB handling the ball more than anyone else, he's the main guy you have to slow down.

And I think this is one of your painful theories. Pretty sure AJ and OD would disagree with you. Pretty sure the OL would disagree with you.

bckey
10-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I would like to know what the stat is for the final 2 minutes of a game when it truly is clutch. From the last 8 minutes to the the 2 minute warning is a little different than a final drive where you have to score a touchdown to win the game. Not hatin just sayin.

DocBar
10-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Good find, TT. Maybe much of the impressions fans have is due to the QB getting so much more glory and blame in a team game. QB's are judged on W-L's.

dream_team
10-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I would like to know what the stat is for the final 2 minutes of a game when it truly is clutch. From the last 8 minutes to the the 2 minute warning is a little different than a final drive where you have to score a touchdown to win the game. Not hatin just sayin.

I agree our 2 min offense sucks, but I put that more on Kubiak than Schaub.

infantrycak
10-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I agree our 2 min offense sucks, but I put that more on Kubiak than Schaub.

How does our 2 min offense suck? You don't pull back from 14 points down in the 4th quarter an NFL record number of times with a 2 min offense that sucks.

The Cush
10-08-2011, 11:42 AM
Schaub and the offense drove us back into the lead late in so many games last year only for the defense to have a game ending epic fail or give the lead right back where Schaub had to do it all over again.

TejasTom
10-08-2011, 12:21 PM
The biggest problem was the offense scoring too fast. If any time was left, the worst coached defense in the NFL could lose it.

The Pencil Neck
10-08-2011, 12:30 PM
I've considered Schaub clutch ever since that game against the Dolphins a few years ago where Andre made that stupid catch and then Schaub ran the QB draw for the TD.

His biggest problem has been our totally un-clutch defense.

infantrycak
10-08-2011, 12:30 PM
The biggest problem was the offense scoring too fast. If any time was left, the worst coached defense in the NFL could lose it.

Which is funny because at the games there were tons of fans yelling at Kubiak to have the team move faster. Of course with all the corporate seats we have a ton of ignorant fans at the games.

TexansFanatic
10-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Where is panamamyers? :-))

drunkcookie
10-08-2011, 12:59 PM
How does our 2 min offense suck? You don't pull back from 14 points down in the 4th quarter an NFL record number of times with a 2 min offense that sucks.

Isn't it funny how if something is said enough times, people start believing it?

Our two minute offense may not be "great" (whose is? maybe NO?), but it for sure is far from "suck"...

Just before this season, bleacherreport.com released their rankings, the Texans came in at.......... FIVE! That sucks?

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/819746-ranking-every-nfl-teams-two-minute-offense)

at 4 was Atlanta (Matt Ryan, promising young QB), #3 San Diego (Philip Rivers- great QB) #2 Pats (Tom Brady- first ballot HOFer) and #1 New Orleans (Drew Brees- I think he gets in the HOF also)...

Granted, this list was made BEFORE this season, but with only one two-minute drive this year, can we really say it's going to suck?

DocBar
10-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Isn't it funny how if something is said enough times, people start believing it?

Our two minute offense may not be "great" (whose is? maybe NO?), but it for sure is far from "suck"...

Just before this season, bleacherreport.com released their rankings, the Texans came in at.......... FIVE! That sucks?

(http://bleacherreport.com/articles/819746-ranking-every-nfl-teams-two-minute-offense)

at 4 was Atlanta (Matt Ryan, promising young QB), #3 San Diego (Philip Rivers- great QB) #2 Pats (Tom Brady- first ballot HOFer) and #1 New Orleans (Drew Brees- I think he gets in the HOF also)...

Granted, this list was made BEFORE this season, but with only one two-minute drive this year, can we really say it's going to suck?I would like to see more of the 2 minute O. From say....the 2nd play of the game. Our attack would be even better of we didn't give the other guys time to substitute and catch a breather. I very much hope we try this approach next week against the Ravens. Schaub is gonna need every edge he can get. TOP would suffer, but at least our QB wouldn't.

DocBar
10-08-2011, 02:19 PM
From AJ (http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/schaub-clutch-headline-a-bit-misleading)

You've probably seen the article by now.

The headline reads: 'NFL stat shows Texans QB Schaub steps up in clutch.'

The problem with that headline is that the 'NFL stats' it refers to doesn't show anything about 'clutch' (as in 4th quarter crunch time).

But don't shoot the messenger (McClain) or his headline writer. They're just passing along info from a league's 'AFC News 'N Notes' release earlier this week which stated, in part:

"A constant in winning close games in the NFL? Quality play at quarterback when the game is on the line."

“Late in the game, the quarterback has to keep his smarts and poise during tough situations and exude confidence,” says former NFL head coach and NFL Network analyst Steve Mariucci. “He has to be mentally tough and demand the same from his teammates.”

Thorn
10-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Those 2nd rounders we gave up for Schaub were SO worth it. Schaub is great in Kubiaks system. We are lucky to have him.

Hooston Texan
10-08-2011, 04:02 PM
It's been awhile since I posted, so let me start with my disclaimer concerning Schaub: I'm a UVA alum who's been following Schaub since he started his first game for the Hoos in 2001. So I'm not an unbiased source.

Back in the early days of Matt's time here, there were many debates about whether he was a "clutch" QB, so I dug up this stat from late in his second season (2008) after Schaub and the Texans beat Aaron Rodgers' Packers in Lambeau:

On 11 occasions with Schaub as QB, the Texans have started a possession in the fourth quarter either tied or trailing by 7 points or less. Schaub led the team on a scoring drive to either tie the game or take the lead in 8 of those 11 possessions. The only times he didn't were: (1) 2007 at Cleveland in the first possession of the fourth quarter when the Texans were down 17-10, (2) first possession of the fourth quarter in 2008 against Miami when we were down 21-20, (3) the 2008 Green Bay game when we got the ball back after GB tied the game at 21. So, two of those three failed drives were followed by even-later game heroics to pull out the win.

Since that game, Schaub has led the Texans to a number of fingernail-biting wins and has had some bad moments in tight situations. While I've made no effort to try to see where Schaub's "clutch situation" stats measure up against other QBs, my guess is that he's easily in the upper half of the league, though probably below the truly elite guys (Rodgers, Peyton, Brady, Brees).

ATXtexanfan
10-08-2011, 08:53 PM
schaub being clutch is like saying VY has a winning record as a starter. we will see what schaub can do the next three games without AJ, vs a solid oakland team, then going to balt, then a game for possibly a tie breaker vs the titans. not sold on the dude when it matters cause when he has he won THAT game.

EllisUnit
10-08-2011, 09:10 PM
schaub being clutch is like saying VY has a winning record as a starter. we will see what schaub can do the next three games without AJ, vs a solid oakland team, then going to balt, then a game for possibly a tie breaker vs the titans. not sold on the dude when it matters cause when he has he won THAT game.

when you have to be clutch 4 times in most of these "clutch" games because ur D turns around and gives up a TD in less than a minute but you still brought ur team back for the lead 3 times, BUT then on that last one you cant, is that really schaubs fault. Look at him against the saints, how many times did he march us down the field to take the lead ??? The guy is good. A better D and people will def say he's clutch.

bckey
10-08-2011, 10:06 PM
when you have to be clutch 4 times in most of these "clutch" games because ur D turns around and gives up a TD in less than a minute but you still brought ur team back for the lead 3 times, BUT then on that last one you cant, is that really schaubs fault. Look at him against the saints, how many times did he march us down the field to take the lead ??? The guy is good. A better D and people will def say he's clutch.

Except the last drive when it was clutch. Look I like Schaub and I am happy that he is here in Houston. But lets not crown him "king of clutch". If I could pick a qb to lead a final 2 minute drive to win a game with a td Schaub doesn't top my list. Not saying he doesn't or can't do it.

As far as the defense goes I said when Bob McNair kept Kubiak that the only way this team will win a championship is if Philips can build an elite defense. That is what it will take to overcome Kubiak's head coaching blunders. He is just cut out to be an offensive cordinator imho. Same with Philips. Only cut out to be an defensive cordinator. Nothing wrong with that because he is a damn good one.

Playoffs
10-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Schaub and the offense drove us back into the lead late in so many games last year only for the defense to have a game ending epic fail or give the lead right back where Schaub had to do it all over again.

Yep, and all of that comeback experience will come in handy this season.

Atl Cav
10-08-2011, 11:01 PM
These statistics articulate what I have been trying to say on here for two years. Because Matt doesn't look pi#%ed off, because he doesn't throw chairs, casual fans feel Matt is not a clutch performer. Yet time after time he did more than his part. I had never seen a more pathetic clutch defense at any level.
If the defense keeps up its current performance, the Texans will figure prominently in the determination of the NFL Championship this year - and in the next few years.

The Cush
10-09-2011, 12:04 AM
Except the last drive when it was clutch. Look I like Schaub and I am happy that he is here in Houston. But lets not crown him "king of clutch". If I could pick a qb to lead a final 2 minute drive to win a game with a td Schaub doesn't top my list. Not saying he doesn't or can't do it.

The problem with last year and that Saints game is that the "last drive" never ends. We had the lead, the defense blew it, Schaub brought us back on the "last drive", THEN the defense blew it again, and Schaub had to do another "last drive".

MEGA SWATT
10-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Sweet:kingkong:

thunderkyss
10-09-2011, 03:10 AM

Clutch is the 3 & out to start the 4th Qtr. Clutch is the INT 54 seconds into the second drive. Clutch is the Texans final possession, incomplete, incomplete/penalty, sack, incomplete.......

Brees was clutch.... no matter what his defense did.

Manning never used the D as a crutch.. they never stopped him until they got to the play-offs, when it mattered. Being Clutch against the 3-13 Kansas City Chiefs isn't really "clutch"

You can't be clutch, when it doesn't matter. You can't be clutch in games that doesn't matter. If you're clutch & those games get you somewhere...... then you're clutch. If those games got you to 9-7...... you're not.. not really.

Let's see how Brady responds with a bad defense. Lets see if he gets his team to 9-7, or if he gets them to the play-offs. Lets see how "clutch" Brady is....

Or we can just look at the arbitrary 8 minute stat.....

:toropalm:

hradhak
10-09-2011, 06:22 AM
I would like to see more of the 2 minute O. From say....the 2nd play of the game. Our attack would be even better of we didn't give the other guys time to substitute and catch a breather. I very much hope we try this approach next week against the Ravens. Schaub is gonna need every edge he can get. TOP would suffer, but at least our QB wouldn't.

The problem with that is that we change our personnel on nearly every play. We go from 3 TEs to 3 WRs on nearly every set of 3 downs.

I agree that it would give us a nice rhythm and force defenses on their heels early

TejasTom
10-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Player Comp. Att. Yards TD INT Passer rating
Matt Schaub 737 1,108 9,103 52 22 99.1
Drew Brees 853 1,247 9,306 61 32 95.8
Aaron Rodgers 539 838 6,639 39 18 95.3
Eli Manning 519 835 6,203 46 17 94.7
Philip Rivers 713 1,119 9,016 54 34 92.2

Here is the top 5 for comparison.

Atl Cav
10-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Clutch is the 3 & out to start the 4th Qtr. Clutch is the INT 54 seconds into the second drive. Clutch is the Texans final possession, incomplete, incomplete/penalty, sack, incomplete.......

Brees was clutch.... no matter what his defense did.

Manning never used the D as a crutch.. they never stopped him until they got to the play-offs, when it mattered. Being Clutch against the 3-13 Kansas City Chiefs isn't really "clutch"

You can't be clutch, when it doesn't matter. You can't be clutch in games that doesn't matter. If you're clutch & those games get you somewhere...... then you're clutch. If those games got you to 9-7...... you're not.. not really.

Let's see how Brady responds with a bad defense. Lets see if he gets his team to 9-7, or if he gets them to the play-offs. Lets see how "clutch" Brady is....

Or we can just look at the arbitrary 8 minute stat.....

:toropalm:

I respect your opinions, Thunder.....But the difference is when the Saints lose due to Brees' error, or when Brady fails (last week), they are not labelled as "non-clutch". If the Texans put a good (not great) defense on the field they can beat anyone. I submit the defense played against Brees in this year's loss was not good, but horrific. I love Brees - always have - but the recievers he was throwing to in the second half were WIDE open. The Saints defense stepped it up in the second half.

I am pretty excited in that I believe the defense WILL play at least "good' not only in the game today but for the rest of the year.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 11:03 AM

As far as the defense goes I said when Bob McNair kept Kubiak that the only way this team will win a championship is if Philips can build an elite defense. That is what it will take to overcome Kubiak's head coaching blunders. He is just cut out to be an offensive cordinator imho. Same with Philips. Only cut out to be an defensive cordinator. Nothing wrong with that because he is a damn good one.

If the Had not let the saints score with under 3 mins left then that drive would of been considered clutch. But you dont look at that because we are down AGAIN after Schaub marched us down the field and we scored. So then he looks like a failure and that is all on the shoulders of the defense

bckey
10-09-2011, 01:46 PM
You still don't get what I am saying. Clutch is driving your team down the field for a td in the last 2 minutes when it is do or die. Schaub is more than capable on the other side of the final 2 minutes. Even having to drive for a field goal is less pressure than a game winning td. Inside the final 2 minutes with the game on the line needing a td is where a "clutch" qb resides. The stats used for clutch in this thread is not a very good way to judge a clutch qb imho.

Texecutioner
10-09-2011, 03:26 PM

I'll actually agree with this. I didn't think he was really clutch in his first 3 seasons here, but I think he has done a lot in the past two seasons in games to dispell that notion. There have been a lot of other players on offense and defense that have killed games for the Texans, but Schaub has led a lot of late game drives and scores to get the Texans back into the game to be able to win it. I wouldn't call him some big time clutch guy, but I wouldn't call him a "clutchless" player either. He has proven that he is fully capable of making big plays down the stretch of a close game though. I think he has proven enough for people to have confidence in him late in games. The fact of the matter though is that it shouldn't be all on Schaub to pull out clutch wins all of the time when we win games. Schaub should have more game situations where all he has to do is manage the game down the stretch instead of having to be the guy that puts the team on his back and carries them to victory. No QB should constantly have that onus on them, and there are very few that could actually be that consistent to always be the big hero in those situations.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 03:37 PM
i think this thread is about to explode

Mr teX
10-09-2011, 03:38 PM
& here comes panameyers...

gtexan02
10-09-2011, 03:39 PM
Irony

Mr. Texan
10-09-2011, 03:40 PM
i can't help but laugh at the timing of this.

ziggy29
I believe the title should say Schaub "steps in IT" in the clutch.

STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Stats are for losers -.-

Kimmy
10-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Lies ...

80tothezone
10-09-2011, 03:51 PM
have a nice trip winning! see ya in two weeks....

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 04:13 PM
well look at it this way, schaub made one hell of an effort, the bad snap, the sack and he still gets us to the 6 yard line, yes he threw a pick but that was a terrible route by Jones. You dont let the CB in front of you.

ziggy29
10-09-2011, 04:15 PM
You dont let the CB in front of you.
You do if you're JJ, apparently. Man, that was really one spot where not having AJ really hurt. With AJ in the game you have someone drawing enough attention that you're much more likely to have a TE come open or a dump-off pass to a back have daylight to the end zone.

bckey
10-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Romo?:toropalm:

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 04:34 PM
You do if you're JJ, apparently. Man, that was really one spot where not having AJ really hurt. With AJ in the game you have someone drawing enough attention that you're much more likely to have a TE come open or a dump-off pass to a back have daylight to the end zone.

i mean its just dumb fundamentals on jacobys part, if ur QB is rolling out to ur side how do you stand there and let the CB get in front of you. IF jacoby was any kind of a WR we would of won that game. Do you think AJ would of let that happen ?

bckey
10-09-2011, 05:07 PM
i mean its just dumb fundamentals on jacobys part, if ur QB is rolling out to ur side how do you stand there and let the CB get in front of you. IF jacoby was any kind of a WR we would of won that game. Do you think AJ would of let that happen ?

You're making excuses. Put the koolaid down.

TheDream34
10-09-2011, 05:13 PM
"Stats are for losers, wins are for winners"- Bill Belichick

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 06:47 PM
This is exhibit A in the case of Stats vs Reality.

EllisUnit
10-09-2011, 06:48 PM
You're making excuses. Put the koolaid down.

maybe so but still.

eriadoc
10-09-2011, 06:55 PM

Schaub threw for 416 yards, though! And in the 3rd quarter, he threw for 101 yards. Clearly, he had a helluva 3rd quarter.

:rake:

DexmanC
10-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Schaub threw for 416 yards, though! And in the 3rd quarter, he threw for 101 yards. Clearly, he had a helluva 3rd quarter.

:rake:

lmao. Every stat but the "win."

DX-TEX
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
Got this from Lance Z's twitter:

@LanceZierlein Its like I just watched a game of Madden 12 and Tony Romo was controlling Matt Schaub.

lol

thegr8fan
10-09-2011, 08:40 PM
reading DocBars earlier link on an article by AJ, it is quite clear that Schaub has a tendancy to repeat a 'pick 6' when the game is on the line.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/schaub-clutch-headline-a-bit-misleading

So that doesn't put him into a 'clutch QB' status, IMO. It puts him in a poor decision resulting in losing the game. Which is, actually, anti-clutch. Looked like Schaub got caught between running it in himself and passing it for a TD, and couldn't be decisive and paid for that indecision with yet another INT.

It wasn't his first and it won't be his last. Clutch QB, nope. Servicable QB to run the Kubi-lack offense. No doubt about it.

thunderkyss
10-09-2011, 08:46 PM
That was the best 8 minutes I ever saw to close out a football game.

Clutch... how else can you explain it?

The man was clutch.

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 10:24 PM
That was the best 8 minutes I ever saw to close out a football game.

Clutch... how else can you explain it?

The man was clutch.

Just curious, what man were you watching?

thunderkyss
10-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Just curious, what man were you watching?

I was watching MR. CLUTCH.....

Hervoyel
10-09-2011, 10:27 PM
reading DocBars earlier link on an article by AJ, it is quite clear that Schaub has a tendancy to repeat a 'pick 6' when the game is on the line.

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/schaub-clutch-headline-a-bit-misleading

So that doesn't put him into a 'clutch QB' status, IMO. It puts him in a poor decision resulting in losing the game. Which is, actually, anti-clutch. Looked like Schaub got caught between running it in himself and passing it for a TD, and couldn't be decisive and paid for that indecision with yet another INT.

It wasn't his first and it won't be his last. Clutch QB, nope. Servicable QB to run the Kubi-lack offense. No doubt about it.

That's priceless. The stat is a bit of spin to make Texans fans feel good about their QB. Awesome.

HTown2ATX
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
I was watching MR. CLUTCH.....

I call BS.....Rockets still not allowed to practice which probably include Clutch.

http://www.sportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/clutch-bear.jpg

;)

bckey
10-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Another quote from AJ's article:

But is Schaub the best 'clutch' quarterback, i.e., when games are on the line in the 4th quarter? I don't think so.

Did you think Schaub looked clutch in the 4th quarter at New Orleans a few weeks ago? I don't. I thought he looked (to borrow a Kubiak term) out of whack, nervous, jittery.

Granted, the meltdown in New Orleans was primarily on the defense, but Schaub's fourth quarter was not a good one either. The Texans first drive of the quarter was a 3-and-out. Then with 9:00 remaining, with the Texans holding on to a 26-24 lead, Schaub threw a key interception (there's a bit of a pattern here) allowing the Saints to drive and take the lead. Then on the subsequent drive the Texans got a lucky bounce when a Schaub pass hit the hands of two Saints players before Kevin Walter caught the deflection and ran it into the endzone, giving the Texans a late lead which the defense quickly relinquished.

I don't know about y'all but I get pretty nervous when I see Schaub throwing it around in the 4th quarter of a close game.

Quality play when the game is on the line? Sometimes, but again, the devil is in the details.

This article from AJ is really good and gives a way more realistic view of Schaub in the clutch.

TEXANRED
10-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Matt Schaub is who Matt Schaub is, and that's not David Carr. But for me that honeymoon ended a few years ago.

He puts up pretty numbers and in the books and on paper he looks like an elite QB but in the W's and L's section he is a loser.

I personally get tired of him throwing INT's to defensive linemen not to mention all the batted balls. Between the 20's he is beast of a QB. In the red zone? Underthrown, off target, scrambles around in the pocket and can't seem to make a decision on where to go with the ball.

Is it coaching? Is it the play calling? Is it the players around him? I don't know. But I do know that Matt Schaub touches the ball 100% of the time on offensive downs and that makes him responsible in my opinion.

welsh texan
10-10-2011, 02:26 PM
What is the number one stat when ranking a QB? Passing Yards.

In the 'clutch' situation, Matt Schaub managed to move the ball right down to the goal line in yesterdays game.

Now, in a years time when the memory of specific games and situations has blurred somewhat, someone is going to post a thread saying about Matt Schaub's ability to move the ball in the clutch.

He'll have the last 2 drives' passing yards to his name and he'll rank pretty highly against others in the league.

However, what won't be remembered is his failure to get a drive started on many opportunities before it became clutch time. It won't take in to account the fact that we had to settle for a FG when we needed an 8 point TD, and it wont take into account that once he'd managed to get to the goal line with 7 seconds left, he chose to throw it straight to the oppo's DB rather than risk taking a hit with the game on the line.

I'm fuming. This guy is holding us back right now, I can't be sure whether he has regressed this season or if the Defensive woes simply took the heat off him the last few seasons.

ObsiWan
10-10-2011, 03:10 PM

You weren't watching closely enough. Go back and look at that play. JJ WAS in front of the CB and WAS open. Schaub held the ball a tick too long and gave the CB time to recover.

It wasn't a bad route by JJ. It was a late throw - admittedly it was only a second late - by Schaub. And Schaub was under serious pressure.

Don't take my word for it, they'll probably replay that play often enough on NFLN. In fact, I'm watching right now.

eriadoc
10-10-2011, 03:15 PM
What is the number one stat when ranking a QB? Passing Yards.

Without touching any other argument going on in this thread, I have to disagree with this. Passing yards are handed out like carnival prizes in today's NFL. Matt Schaub can rack up the yardage between the 20s and/or in certain scenarios in the game, but can be very ineffective when it counts the most. And then other times, he can hand the ball off between the 20s and complete the clutch throw here and there, get the score, and win the game.

I truly do not believe passing yardage is all that applicable today. QBs can put up massive yards and simply not be great QBs. Great QBs = great passing yardage, but great passing yardage != great QB.

welsh texan
10-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Without touching any other argument going on in this thread, I have to disagree with this. Passing yards are handed out like carnival prizes in today's NFL. Matt Schaub can rack up the yardage between the 20s and/or in certain scenarios in the game, but can be very ineffective when it counts the most. And then other times, he can hand the ball off between the 20s and complete the clutch throw here and there, get the score, and win the game.

I truly do not believe passing yardage is all that applicable today. QBs can put up massive yards and simply not be great QBs. Great QBs = great passing yardage, but great passing yardage != great QB.

I think we actually agree rather than disagree. The point I was making was that its the passing yards that gets the headlines but the more situational stuff isn't statisticalized (that's not a word is it!?).

Look at Schaub marching down the field yesterday, racking up the yards before throwing the game away. At the end of the season when he's got 4500 yards and everyone's saying he's top 10, the fact that he literally threw away this game will be a distant memory.

Double Barrel
10-10-2011, 04:14 PM

yep.

I did not see this thread last week. Funny to see it today.

The last play says it all. It does not matter what you did to get there. All that matters is decisions made in clutch situations, in the final moments of a game to win it all or lose it.

Hervoyel
10-10-2011, 04:18 PM
I know you all remember how big a buzz would come out of a David Carr 300 yard losing effort (with a couple of garbage time TD passes thrown in). Getting excited about Schaub throwing for 400+ when we lost reeks of that same sentiment.

DX-TEX
10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Maybe Kubiak needs to bring Rudy T in to talk to Schaub and the team. Never forget "Choke City"! That was how you respond but of course this is the Texans we are talking about....

Wolf
10-10-2011, 04:24 PM
http://www.myloadtest.com/images/obi-wan-mind-trick.jpg

Texecutioner
10-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I know you all remember how big a buzz would come out of a David Carr 300 yard losing effort (with a couple of garbage time TD passes thrown in). Getting excited about Schaub throwing for 400+ when we lost reeks of that same sentiment.

Yeah, but Schaub has been routinely passing for stats like that for the last two seasons and has been in a ton of games where he has had to continually throw the ball to stay in games or to try to win them because of the lack of defense. Many of you are conveniently neglecting to remember the defenses that he has had to play with and the bumbling HC he has had that has handicapped the team in many ways over the years. Two years ago Kubiak alone killed 3 games with his chaotic decisions and blind loyalty to put in Chris Brown on the GL to fumble the game away and to throw an INT pass. We would have gone 11-5 that season had Kubiak not blundered those games away with his love for Chris Brown despite how many times he screwed up. Decisions like that weren't on Schaub. Kubiak has had so many decisions like that have made things more difficult for Schaub as a QB and his blind loyalty.

I understand that Schaub has thrown some bad picks like in the Ravens game and a few others, but he has been able to generate a lot of points for the Texans at QB. It's not his fault that he's had a defense that has let a ton of points get scored on them year in and year out.

welsh texan
10-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Chris Brown on the GL to fumble the game away and to throw an INT pass. .

Hmm, so what you are saying is we might as well have had Chris Brown at QB?:kitten: