PDA

View Full Version : No love from PFT WK 5 picks

srrono
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/06/pfts-week-five-picks-2/

Raiders at Texans

Florioís take: The Titans managed to win last week without their top receiver, Kenny Britt. The Texans tend to rely a little bit more on Andre Johnson. He has missed 13 games during his career, and the Texans have lost eight of them. With a better-than-advertised Raiders team coming to town and the Texansí new-look defense having not yet seen a tailback like Darren McFadden, the record with Andre could be moving to 5-9.

Florioís pick: Raiders 20, Texans 13.

Rosenthalís take: This will be a different sort of test for the rebuilt Texans defense. Houston has shown they can get after the passer, but handling the smashmouth Raiders is altogether different. Both of these teams are talented, but make too many bone-headed mistakes. Look for Houston to make more mistakes Sunday.

Rosenthalís pick: Raiders 28, Texans 24.

kiwitexansfan
10-06-2011, 02:08 PM
I don't have a problem with the second guys assessment. I think this game willl be close and could go either way.

As for looking at how we have played with 'Dre out, those stats aren't that relevant because of how much different the supporting casts, coaching, schemes have been on those occasions.

Rey
10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I think we will handle the Raiders. I don't think McFadden is going to do a whole lot.

TexansWest
10-06-2011, 02:22 PM
If somebody will put a huge hit on McFadden early, he'll fold his tent the rest of the game. I can't believe how many plays he takes off during a game!!

Blake
10-06-2011, 02:23 PM
The Raiders keeping us to 13 points? I dont see it.

They are giving up 409.8 yards per game so far. Good enough for 28th.

113 points given up - good enough for 31st.

kiwitexansfan
10-06-2011, 02:31 PM
The Texans aren't set up to score a lot of points.

We are built to move the chains, control the tempo, win time of possession battle. We are not a team like the Patriots designed to get it down field quick and spin the scoreboard.

If we make a few mistakes on our drives, turn the ball over with Schaub's trademarked sh#$y throw of the game, we could only score 13.

HOU-TEX
10-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I think we will handle the Raiders. I don't think McFadden is going to do a whole lot.

What makes you say this? We haven't really stopped the run well against teams wanting to pass. Suddenly we're going to stop it against a team that wants to run and has a much better RB?

I expect McFadden to get his yards. If we're going to win, Foster needs to get his as well.

TexCanada
10-06-2011, 02:34 PM
I can see our TEs having a huge day against those LBs. We will stuff an extra guy in the box at the beginning of the game, go up by a couple of TDs by half time, and play not to lose in the second half, winning the game by 7 points. Its the Texans' way!

Cerberus
10-06-2011, 02:37 PM

That's what Rex Ryan thought also, right before McFadden gashed his vaunted D for 171 yards rushing.

Thorn
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM

I think McFadden WILL do a lot, but we'll still win. I see McFadden and Foster both tearing up the turf Sunday. Texans by 10.

Playoffs
10-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Florio & Rosenthal are two of the bigger idiots in sports blogdom.

PFT is a comedy of errors.

Too bad, because I like the format.

Shaft75
10-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Florio was on the Matt Thomas show the other day and threw out some pretty poor analysis of the Texans. Does anyone have a track record of how his picks turned out this year? I would love to see that.

FirstTexansFan
10-06-2011, 02:53 PM
First guys comments are without merit. The Texans have beaten the Raiders 2 out of the last 4 times without Andre in the lineup. And when he's played, Aso held him to limited catches. Arian Foster's the difference maker, and look for a breakout game from Owen Daniels. No way they hold our team to less than 24 points. Texans 24 - Raiders 17

ChampionTexan
10-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Florio was on the Matt Thomas show the other day and threw out some pretty poor analysis of the Texans. Does anyone have a track record of how his picks turned out this year? I would love to see that.

He picked the Dolphins to win, but he's picked the other three games correctly.

The Pencil Neck
10-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Well, neither of them would be at the top of the Texans Talk pick'em leagues I'm in.

Florio is 41-23 through 4 weeks (Rosenthal is 43-21).

I've had a rotten year this year and I'm 40-24. TheDudeAbides, Dutchrudder, and Texaninlild are all 46-18.

They both had us beating the Steelers, getting crushed by the Saints, getting beat by the Dolphins, and beating the Colts.

Rey
10-06-2011, 03:19 PM
What makes you say this? We haven't really stopped the run well against teams wanting to pass. Suddenly we're going to stop it against a team that wants to run and has a much better RB?

I expect McFadden to get his yards. If we're going to win, Foster needs to get his as well.

McFadden has gone crazy in two of his games. The other two he didn't reach 100 yards. One of his games he averaged 3.2 ypc.

No ones running game has beat us this year and I don't think that will change against the Raiders. We haven't stopped the run well overall and we haven't needed to, but we have stopped it enough.

Make plays when teams try to pass it and we will more than likely win the game. This is NFL 2011, teams that can pass the ball win games. Teams that can't don't.....Generally speaking...

SteveSlaton20
10-06-2011, 03:27 PM
if we're pick to lose: "they're dumbas*es"
if we're pick to win: "oh god, we're gonna lose now"

Arky
10-06-2011, 03:34 PM
All the ESPN guys like the Texans:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

Ryan
10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Hasn't Florio picked against us every week so far?

Corrosion
10-06-2011, 05:16 PM
The Texans aren't set up to score a lot of points.

We are built to move the chains, control the tempo, win time of possession battle. We are not a team like the Patriots designed to get it down field quick and spin the scoreboard.

If we make a few mistakes on our drives, turn the ball over with Schaub's trademarked sh#$y throw of the game, we could only score 13.

Yeah , they are built for ball control and without AJ that becomes exaggerated I expect to see a lot of 3 TE sets or 2 TE's with Casey. They'll have to avoid penalties and turnovers , extend drives and convert in the red zone.
If they can avoid penalties and turnovers , I think the running game with a mix of play action can win against the Raiders.

The Raiders have only given up 2 sacks in 121 pass attempts

The Raiders have the 6th fewest pass attempts , the Texans 5th fewest with 113.

The Texans lead the NFL in rushing attempts with 137 the Raiders are second with 128.

Raiders 7th in the NFL in scoring with an average of 27.8. The Texans are 8th at 26.8.

Houston is 4th in the NFL in points allowed at 17.5 the Raiders give up 28.2 points per game good for 30th.

Rushing defense - the Raiders are 29th while the Texans are 18th.

AnthonyE
10-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Raiders at Texans

Florioís take: The Titans managed to win last week without their top receiver, Kenny Britt. The Texans tend to rely a little bit more on Andre Johnson. He has missed 13 games during his career, and the Texans have lost eight of them. With a better-than-advertised Raiders team coming to town and the Texansí new-look defense having not yet seen a tailback like Darren McFadden, the record with Andre could be moving to 5-9.

Rosenthalís take: This will be a different sort of test for the rebuilt Texans defense. Houston has shown they can get after the passer, but handling the smashmouth Raiders is altogether different. Both of these teams are talented, but make too many bone-headed mistakes. Look for Houston to make more mistakes Sunday.

Rosenthalís pick: Raiders 28, Texans 24.

I hardly see what the Tacks win without Kenny Britt has to do with our offense and whether or not it changes our ability to win.

Rey
10-06-2011, 05:46 PM
That's what Rex Ryan thought also, right before McFadden gashed his vaunted D for 171 yards rushing.

Well, if his pattern holds true he is due for less than 100 yards rushing and a loss.

:truck:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11238/darren-mcfadden

Cerberus
10-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Well, if his pattern holds true he is due for less than 100 yards rushing and a loss.

:truck:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11238/darren-mcfadden

Uh, look again, because those games aren't listed in chronological order from 1st to last game, it is reversed. So, he is due a 100+ game and a win.

Rey
10-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Uh, look again, because those games aren't listed in chronological order from 1st to last game, it is reversed. So, he is due a 100+ game and a win.

You're right...

I thought the smiley with the truck gave away the fact that I was joking though...

thunderkyss
10-06-2011, 05:59 PM

We haven't faced a team like the Raiders yet. We haven't faced a runner like RunDMC yet.

But.... I love our new look D. We are stout on the front seven & I think Wade is going to add a few things. I don't think Jason Campbell can beat our secondary, so the front 7 will sell out against the run & shut it down.

Can the Raiders stop Arian? I don't think so. If Ward is healthy & ready to go... I'm seeing a 300 yard rushing day & Oakland will never get the ball.

thunderkyss
10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Well, neither of them would be at the top of the Texans Talk pick'em leagues I'm in.

Florio is 41-23 through 4 weeks (Rosenthal is 43-21).

I've had a rotten year this year and I'm 40-24. TheDudeAbides, Dutchrudder, and Texaninlild are all 46-18.

They both had us beating the Steelers, getting crushed by the Saints, getting beat by the Dolphins, and beating the Colts.

So, what do they say about our chances vs the Raiders?

The Pencil Neck
10-06-2011, 06:11 PM
So, what do they say about our chances vs the Raiders?

Um.

See the first post in the thread.

Cerberus
10-06-2011, 06:11 PM
... I'm seeing a 300 yard rushing day & Oakland will never get the ball.

Yeah, maybe combined rushing yards of 300 for Foster and McFadden, certainly not Foster and Ward.

thunderkyss
10-06-2011, 06:19 PM
McFadden has gone crazy in two of his games. The other two he didn't reach 100 yards. One of his games he averaged 3.2 ypc.

No ones running game has beat us this year and I don't think that will change against the Raiders. We haven't stopped the run well overall and we haven't needed to, but we have stopped it enough.

Make plays when teams try to pass it and we will more than likely win the game. This is NFL 2011, teams that can pass the ball win games. Teams that can't don't.....Generally speaking...

Is this McFadden character a new guy? did they just sign him, draft him or is he the same guy who didn't do squat against us?

He didn't win the game for them in 2010, 2009, or 2008. He'll get some yards, but he won't win the game for Oakland & they have nothing else.

thunderkyss
10-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah, maybe combined rushing yards of 300 for Foster and McFadden, certainly not Foster and Ward.

You sure about that? Foster & Ward combined for 211 yards just a year ago & Foster sat out the 1st Qtr.

Even Slaton averaged 7.44 yards against you last year.

DX-TEX
10-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Did no one remind them that the Texans beat the Raiders LAST YEAR with Dre out?

Arian got 140 nyds rushhing in 1/2 a game.

Pantherstang84
10-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Come on folks it is Florio and Rosemthal talking. Is further explanation really needed?

ThaJokaa
10-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Hope to see Foster do major work

DocBar
10-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I think our D will be stout enough to handle the Raiders and our offense, with or without AJ, is more than enough to bury them if we can get TD's instead of FG's. Playing at Reliant, I see this going the Texans way. I'm pretty sure Phillips has seen the error of his ways when he's taken his foot off the throttle and gone to prevent D when we have a lead. All we have to do is dance with what brung us to 3-1 on the D side of the ball. Make the proper in-game corrections if DMC starts tearing it up, but keep up the aggressive nature that has served us well through 13 out of 16 quarters so far.

badboy
10-06-2011, 09:52 PM

Raiders at Texans

Rosenthalís pick: Raiders 28, Texans 24.all good points except the final score is incorrect.

MEGA SWATT
10-06-2011, 10:25 PM
All the ESPN guys like the Texans:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks

:goodpost::goodpost:

Rey
10-07-2011, 12:49 AM
If the texans lose to the steelers I will have to re evaluate my opinion of where this team is right now.

Not that the raiders suck, but we should win this game.

I don't think the score will be close either. Jmo.

The Pencil Neck
10-07-2011, 02:05 AM
If the texans lose to the steelers I will have to re evaluate my opinion of where this team is right now.

Yeah, if they find a way to go back and lose a game they already won, I'll have to re-evaluate my opinion of them, too. That's epically bad.

:mariopalm:

welsh texan
10-07-2011, 05:04 AM
The Raiders keeping us to 13 points? I dont see it.

They are giving up 409.8 yards per game so far. Good enough for 28th.

113 points given up - good enough for 31st.

Given the Texans penalty issues moving the ball 409 yards on O would put us in the red zone 4 times, your right, its 12 points we'd get in that situation :kitten: I joke, I joke.

I can see why a lot of people in the media see us on the same sort of level as the Raiders. In truth, I think we're a bit stronger than them, they've improved a lot this year but I still don't see a way past us.

We have a secondary who seem to capitalise on QB mistakes, even if they still give up a few plays too many a game, a pass rush who are a constant threat throughout, even if they get handled they need to be accounted for.

On O we'll move the ball without too many dramas, we have Jacoby to stretch it deep and lots of well designed routes to confuse, with good route runners to execute them.

I'd like to see Tate and Arian in the backfield with Arian motioned out into a reciever now and again, think that would give the D fits and matchup problems. Maybe even just run Tate after doing that to put them back on their heels.

Cerberus
10-07-2011, 06:01 AM
You sure about that? Foster & Ward combined for 211 yards just a year ago & Foster sat out the 1st Qtr.

Even Slaton averaged 7.44 yards against you last year.

Things have changed since last year, starting with the HC and DC. Granted, Marshall was a better DC than the Bresnahan, but things have changed in Oakland since last season. And don't be deceived by the statistics, because long runs against the Raider D tend to inflate those numbers, and the long runs are in part due to man-to-man coverage. When they try and stop the run, like against Shonn Green, they can be successful.

Cerberus
10-07-2011, 06:11 AM

Yeah, if they find a way to go back and lose a game they already won, I'll have to re-evaluate my opinion of them, too. That's epically bad.

:mariopalm:

That would be epically bad, though it has happened to me before in FF, but I don't think the NFL does "adjustments" like Yahoo.

As for the game score, I think it is going to be closer than Rey thinks. I also believe many here think these are the 2010 Raiders and don't realize the change from Tom Cable to Hue Jackson as HC. The Raiders are a different team, and we'll all find out on Sunday if they've improved enough to beat the Texans. The Raiders have very talented players, they're just waiting to be molded into a cohesive unit. They came together nicely against the Jets, but had a set back against the Patriots, so who knows which team will show up.

thunderkyss
10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
I'd like to see Tate and Arian in the backfield with Arian motioned out into a reciever now and again, think that would give the D fits and matchup problems. Maybe even just run Tate after doing that to put them back on their heels.

I don't know that Tate is going to play. I'm hoping Ward can. We might be down to Foster & Ogbanaya.

But, since we've established Casey as a receiving threat, & it makes sense to see Casey & Foster/Ogbanaya in the back field at the same time, motioning Casey out to WR is going to open up a lot of opportunities.

thunderkyss
10-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Things have changed since last year, starting with the HC and DC. Granted, Marshall was a better DC than the Bresnahan, but things have changed in Oakland since last season. And don't be deceived by the statistics, because long runs against the Raider D tend to inflate those numbers, and the long runs are in part due to man-to-man coverage. When they try and stop the run, like against Shonn Green, they can be successful.

Shonn who?

By the way, I'm counting on some of those long misleading runs.....

a lot of them.

:kitten:

Cerberus
10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
Shonn who?

By the way, I'm counting on some of those long misleading runs.....

a lot of them.

:kitten:

That is how the Texans will have to get them. Good thing for the Raiders, their team speed is such that they can often bring the runner down from behind. Yeah, the long runs still hurt, but they also get the opportunity to make the opponent settle for 3 points instead of the 7 they could have had.

Runs against the Raiders can go something like this: 1, -3, 15, 2, 3, 1, 12, 0, 1, 1, 36, 0, 0, 8, 4, 1 . . . So there are times they can stifle the defense, but there are times they give up the untimely long run that sustains a scoring drive. That, or they commit a stupid penalty.