PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Chris Myers threads?

TheRealJoker
10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
It seems we couldn't talk about him enough when he first got here. Nowadays there is barely any mention of him him. I wonder what happened... :)

DexmanC
10-03-2011, 10:24 PM
It seems we couldn't talk about him enough when he first got here. Nowadays there is barely any mention of him him. I wonder what happened... :)

Wait a couple weeks. Haloti Ngata will get the town talking about Myers
again.

The Cush
10-03-2011, 10:24 PM
He put his hand on our mouths

TheRealJoker
10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
He put his hand on our mouths

Is "Chris Myers illegal hands to the face" the new "Antonio Smith offsides"?

Carr Bombed
10-03-2011, 10:37 PM

:cool: You are about 9 months too late, everybody agreed he was good around the end of last season.

Hell even I started a thread.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1625782&highlight=chris+myers#post1625782
:)

Corrosion
10-03-2011, 10:55 PM
:cool: You are about 9 months too late, everybody agreed he was good around the end of last season.

Hell even I started a thread.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1625782&highlight=chris+myers#post1625782
:)

Yeah , he shut us all up last season ..... it was either the ankle injury or the guy sucking balls next to him .... dont know which but since he got healthy and got a better player next to him , he looks solid.

Jackie Chiles
10-04-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't think I'm out of line when I say he has been a top 5 center for the last 20 games.

keyser
10-04-2011, 02:03 AM
Yeah, I feel like an ***** for being so wrong about him a while back (good thing I'm not a coach...). I really thought he was the weakest part of our OL and needed to be replaced. Clearly, he's been doing an excellent job recently. I'm still not sure if my earlier impressions were just mistaken, or if he has actually improved that much (probably some of both).

welsh texan
10-04-2011, 02:32 AM
I'm coming round to the opinion that its all about each unit as a whole.

Each previous season I've been watching the Texans (since around 04, when I first got into football) they have been really weak at various positions and its rubbed off poorly on other players around them.

I look at KJax this season, and, OK, good QB's are still able to pick on him, but because of those around him, it isn't costing us games every week. The D-line, well we all knew we had some great talent there, but it never translated to any pass rush much until the unit as a whole got to a good level.

It works the other way round too, how about how productive Kevin Walter has been because of have AJ across from him and OD in the slot, he isn't all that good in himself beyond being a good route runner and having safe hands.

Its the same with Myers, he looks elite against non-elite DT's and such, because the unit around him is improved. That said, if you have a proven problem where his physical 'type' cannot hold up against the bigger, better DT's in this league, why not slide someone like Caldwell over to C for those games and give yourself a chance?

Corrosion
10-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Its the same with Myers, he looks elite against non-elite DT's and such, because the unit around him is improved. That said, if you have a proven problem where his physical 'type' cannot hold up against the bigger, better DT's in this league, why not slide someone like Caldwell over to C for those games and give yourself a chance?

What do you call Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton .... one of the best in the business. Myers and Co handled him and the rest of the Pittsburgh front seven to the tune of 180 rushing yards and no sacks .....

Who the hell puts up 180 rushing yards on the Steelers ?!

Maddict5
10-04-2011, 04:36 AM

:vincepalm:

ya replace one of the top 3 C's in the lg with our 6th best lineman.... ya thats the answer

TEXANRED
10-04-2011, 07:02 AM
Not talking about linemen is a good thing.

TimeKiller
10-04-2011, 07:52 AM
I was a pretty big detractor of Myers his first year or two here. I'll eat my crow, with crow sauce and a side of crow fries. Dude stepped his game up and it's taken the OL to a new level. HE is the one who put an end to all the Myers negative threads. I never thought he had it in him (it helps that Studdard isn't next to him anymore) but here we are, talking about Myers as one of the league's best.

Awesome. Now if Eric Winston could raise HIS game that much..........

TEXANS84
10-04-2011, 08:06 AM
Not talking about linemen is a good thing.

Agreed. We've come a long way from having discussions of "is Victor Riley really the answer at LT?"

GlassHalfFull
10-04-2011, 08:11 AM
It is sad that the Oline only gets their names brought up when negative things are being said about them.

Kudos to Chris Meyers, he deserves credit and positive threads.

TexansForTheW
10-04-2011, 08:24 AM
I was a pretty big detractor of Myers his first year or two here. I'll eat my crow, with crow sauce and a side of crow fries. Dude stepped his game up and it's taken the OL to a new level. HE is the one who put an end to all the Myers negative threads. I never thought he had it in him (it helps that Studdard isn't next to him anymore) but here we are, talking about Myers as one of the league's best.

Awesome. Now if Eric Winston could raise HIS game that much..........

I think Duane Brown has improved to an elite level on passing downs. I think he has allowd one sack in 4 games. None to Freeney or James Harrison. That is just incredible. Our line is one of the best in the league. Still waiting on like you said Eric Winston to improve his blocking, which has been just ok.

Texan_Bill
10-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Where are all the Chris Myers threads?

Kris Jenkins blew them up! :kitten:

noxiousdog
10-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Now if Eric Winston could raise HIS game that much..........

Winston had some mistakes against Mathis and Wake, but both of those guys are really good.

He played pretty clean the last two weeks. He should be fine.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Ole Miss Texan
10-04-2011, 09:14 AM
I always thought this was one of the best trades Kubiak has done. Has always outperformed that 6th round pick and has developed into the centerpiece of our o-line (pun intended). :)

TEXANS84
10-04-2011, 09:37 AM

:kubepalm:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii219/losloseeboy/jetex.gif

dinkatoid
10-04-2011, 09:43 AM
I agree that Myers has really been a stellar center now for us. While I am sure he has improved and the talent around him has definitely improved, I think a lot more of it had to do with negative perception than negative play. I think a lot of people just remember the 1 play where Kris Jenkins ran over Myers, but there is a reason everyone else double teamed that guy.

The ZBS is usually run by undersized lineman that can move, as it prefers the ability to get out and run over size. However, that means that when you have some monstrous human being (aka Jenkins) and you blow the blocking assignment (no way Kubiak planned Myers to solo block him) and leave your small-ish center alone, he is going to be made to look like a fool.

Texan_Bill
10-04-2011, 10:38 AM

:kubepalm:

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii219/losloseeboy/jetex.gif

:heh:

silvrhand
10-04-2011, 11:22 AM

along with both is knees... /retire

DocBar
10-04-2011, 12:13 PM
LINK (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/10/04/re-focused-steelers-texans-week-4/)
Chris Myers started Week 1 with a bang but has sustained his high level of performance throughout so far and, with a full season at this level, will well deserve to be counted alongside Nick Mangold as absolutely the best center in the NFL. Whether he was blocking Casey Hampton, one of the Steelers’ defensive ends, or working to the second level on their linebackers, Myers was in control. Unlike Mangold, he doesn’t have a long list of plays where he destroys the man across from him but his consistency this season is extraordinary. Myers has only been downgraded for 12 plays all season long, two of those being penalties. Myers is staking an early claim to be this year’s All-Pro center.Having quoted that, I agree with Dex and we'll see what happens against the Ravens. They were absolutely brutal on Sunday night.

HJam72
10-04-2011, 01:45 PM
I agree that Myers has really been a stellar center now for us. While I am sure he has improved and the talent around him has definitely improved, I think a lot more of it had to do with negative perception than negative play. I think a lot of people just remember the 1 play where Kris Jenkins ran over Myers, but there is a reason everyone else double teamed that guy.

The ZBS is usually run by undersized lineman that can move, as it prefers the ability to get out and run over size. However, that means that when you have some monstrous human being (aka Jenkins) and you blow the blocking assignment (no way Kubiak planned Myers to solo block him) and leave your small-ish center alone, he is going to be made to look like a fool.

OK, what if a D had TWO D-Linemen that big??? :choke:

Yankee_In_TX
10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I feel like an ***** for being so wrong about him a while back (good thing I'm not a coach...). I really thought he was the weakest part of our OL and needed to be replaced. Clearly, he's been doing an excellent job recently. I'm still not sure if my earlier impressions were just mistaken, or if he has actually improved that much (probably some of both).

Fact. (on all accounts)

Surreal McCoy
10-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Re: Where are all the Chris Myers threads?

Probably the same place as the "FORGET THE SCRIPT STUPIDAK!!!" threads.

Playoffs
10-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Item #2: http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85589

TheRealJoker
10-04-2011, 10:50 PM
Chris Myers ability to overcome being the official scapegoat of th Texans' OL troubles gives me slight hope that Kareem Jackson can also overcome.

Blake
01-19-2012, 03:54 PM
After Chris Myers being named to the Pro-bowl, Here are some to reflect upon.

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64524&highlight=chris+myers

(I tried to defend the dude, but had several posters calling my reasoning, excuses and such. :P

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71940&highlight=chris+myers

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66711&highlight=chris+myers

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65705&highlight=chris+myers

Wolf
01-19-2012, 07:20 PM
as far as all the other threads(I know there were some "I told you so" threads that were floating a round
Hell yes I bashed him. He got posterized by Jenkins at the time(his job was to protect this QB and Schaub could have gotten killed) and not only that, but the Texans were notorious of getting stopped on short yardage situations. I think some of the pissed off posts were justified at that time.(along with other offensive linemen). I think my posts were directed at Chris the football player and not the human being. I don't recall being that pissed off that I went person.. that isn't my style,but who knows in the heat of battle on game day

With that said. CONGRATULATIONS to Chris, it is freaking awesome and glad the Texans got some coaching in here help develop the players

It is freaking awesome that he is our first Pro Bowl offensive lineman (Duane Brown will have his day)

I do hope we can and do re-sign him

76Texan
01-19-2012, 09:00 PM
as far as all the other threads(I know there were some "I told you so" threads that were floating a round
Hell yes I bashed him. He got posterized by Jenkins at the time(his job was to protect this QB and Schaub could have gotten killed) and not only that, but the Texans were notorious of getting stopped on short yardage situations. I think some of the pissed off posts were justified at that time.(along with other offensive linemen). I think my posts were directed at Chris the football player and not the human being. I don't recall being that pissed off that I went person.. that isn't my style,but who knows in the heat of battle on game day

With that said. CONGRATULATIONS to Chris, it is freaking awesome and glad the Texans got some coaching in here help develop the players

It is freaking awesome that he is our first Pro Bowl offensive lineman (Duane Brown will have his day)

I do hope we can and do re-sign him
For me, it was never the case of "I told you so".
I just don't like the idea of making a scape-goat out of somebody who is not.

Some of Myers' perceived "bad plays" were similar to KJax' in his rookie year.
It was the responsibility of the guard(s) as opposed to safety(ies) - in case of KJax.

They both had their own bad plays, that's for sure.

Other O-linemen (all of them) had failed to protect Schaub more often than Myers but they didn't hear the wrath. All of them "would have killed" Schaub many times over more than Myers.

Similarly, other Texans CBs performed poorly in the same year KJax was a rook.
I would go on record to say that I graded out Jackson as the best performer that year in the secondary (sounds just insane like I graded Myers as the best performer on the O-line in his scape-goat year.)

That was why they brought in Allen that year and then moved Quin to safety and McCain to nickel this year (besides letting go of Pollard and Wilson).

Some claimed that Myers was the worst Center in the league; some claimed that Jackson was the worst CB in the league.
Those were the statements that I set out to disprove.

Don't forget that I also said I would take Jackson over McCourty even after McCourty was selected to the Pro-Bowl (that statement sounded totally ludicrous to many at the time.)
It was not another "I told you so", but rather a sincere and friendly call-out to the most hardcore football fans to study and learn the game so we can all appreciate it as the most intricate sport there is on this planet.

If we can't be sure of the protection call, we should hold off on blaming a particular O-lineman.
If we can't be sure of the coverage, we shouldn't be too quick to blame a certain secondary player.

Carr Bombed
01-19-2012, 10:16 PM
:kubepalm: Did you not read the first page of this thread? You know.. Where everybody already acknowledged Myers was good and ate crow... hell when this thread was made it was after I already started a thread stating I was wrong about Myers. Did you even read the thread?

... I really don't understand why you bumped this thread? In my FIRST post in this thread I said the O.P. was about 9 months late. Well you're almost 2 years late.

Blake
01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
:kubepalm: Did you not read the first page of this thread? You know.. Where everybody already acknowledged Myers was good and ate crow... hell when this thread was made it was after I already started a thread stating I was wrong about Myers. Did you even read the thread?

... I really don't understand why you bumped this thread? In my FIRST post in this thread I said the O.P. was about 9 months late. Well you're almost 2 years late.

Dont get your panties in a wad. Its fun to reflect on threads from time to time.

Carr Bombed
01-20-2012, 11:00 AM
edit

TejasTom
01-20-2012, 12:42 PM

In 2009 he suffered a high ankle sprain in practice before the Week 1 game against the Jets. He played the entire 2009 season injured.

Based on 2010 & 2011 seasons, I would say the injury degrade his play significantly in 2009.