PDA

View Full Version : Um, Gary was not "talking to his offense."

houstonspartan
10-02-2011, 10:34 PM
This highlight on the NFL network cracks me up. The announcer talks about how Gary Kubiak was "talking to his offense."

Uh, no. Gary was cussing them out like they stole something. He was on a serious rant.

So much for the "Kubiak lacks fire" argument, I guess.

http://http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011100202/2011/REG4/steelers@texans?module=HP11_headline_stack#tab=rec ap&recap=fullstory&menu=highlights

TexansFanatic
10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
That was an important moment for Kubiak.

It was particularly amazing to me because I had just finished telling my friend that if I was Kubiak I'd be screaming my head off at my team.

And lo.....

Pantherstang84
10-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I have been one of those calling for Gary's head in the past. However, I am man enough to eat crow when it is warranted. It was nice change today to see him get animated on the sideline and show some emotion. I think the team responded to seeing their coach get fired up. Kubiak gets my game ball this week.

TexansBull
10-02-2011, 10:53 PM
This highlight on the NFL network cracks me up. The announcer talks about how Gary Kubiak was "talking to his offense."

Uh, no. Gary was cussing them out like they stole something. He was on a serious rant.

http://http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011100202/2011/REG4/steelers@texans?module=HP11_headline_stack#tab=rec ap&recap=fullstory&menu=highlights

I can see where people get because everyone thinks a head coach should act like Cohwer or Gruden and it translates to superbowls.

However I see Kubiak and he looks calm most of the time, but he goes off on the refs in games. ND Kalu once said that Kubiak cut a player in practice in preseason and he never had seen that done before. And I remember Kubiak in his first year getting the offense together and giving them a pep talk when it was a crucial series. I want to say it was the colts or titans. There will always be critics.

houstonspartan
10-02-2011, 10:58 PM
I have been one of those calling for Gary's head in the past. However, I am man enough to eat crow when it is warranted. It was nice change today to see him get animated on the sideline and show some emotion. I think the team responded to seeing their coach get fired up. Kubiak gets my game ball this week.

I have definitely been calling for Kubiak to be fired. I was impressed with his fire today. I will give credit where it is due.

Seems like he had a Samuel L. Jackson "Snakes on the plane" moment where he decided ENOUGH.

In case any one is curious. It's a classic rallying line and saved that entire film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLaX8UvVUQw

GP
10-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I just can't be swayed for the pure sake of "Texans won today, so all is well."

I'm going to have to have a whole season here. We go on a 3 or 4-game losing streak and become roommates with cellar dweller Colts, and let's see how one ass chewing from Kubiak in a win vs. a depleted Steelers team, at Reliant, means anything in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry, the up-and-down attitude is tiring. Everyone is quick to give praise when we win and head-hunting when we lose. We're beating up weaker teams, and we're struggling vs. teams like the Saints.

Yay, we won. Next week is a trap game, big time.

houstonspartan
10-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I just can't be swayed for the pure sake of "Texans won today, so all is well."

I'm going to have to have a whole season here. We go on a 3 or 4-game losing streak and become roommates with cellar dweller Colts, and let's see how one ass chewing from Kubiak in a win vs. a depleted Steelers team, at Reliant, means anything in the grand scheme of things.

Sorry, the up-and-down attitude is tiring. Everyone is quick to give praise when we win and head-hunting when we lose. We're beating up weaker teams, and we're struggling vs. teams like the Saints.

Yay, we won. Next week is a trap game, big time.

Trust me, I agree. I wasn't annointing Kubiak Coach of The Year. I was merely saying today, in one moment, he was fired up. We don't know if that's what saved the game.

I agree that I have to see an entire season.

GP
10-02-2011, 11:44 PM
Trust me, I agree. I wasn't annointing Kubiak Coach of The Year. I was merely saying today, in one moment, he was fired up. We don't know if that's what saved the game.

I agree that I have to see an entire season.

It indeed saved the day today. For all we know, he had also chewed them out at halftime...and they had not fully received their medicine until chewed out a 2nd time. Or, Kubiak went all "snuggie and Care Bears" on them at halftime and he then had to ratchet up the volume to save face (and the game).

Either way, for this game...Kubiak went over and personally acted like the type of HC we all expect him to be--A guy in charge, vocal, demonstrative, and demanding of better execution on the field. To that end, he did well.

Ravens have no passing game, btw. They just ran the ball on the Jets and used their defense to beat Sanchez and his Jets to a pulp. I think we can take them, but it won't be easy. I'm already looking at that game, man.

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2011, 01:58 AM
Personally, I thought he'd always been like that. I didn't see anything from Kubiak today that I'd never seen before.

I've never understood the people saying that Kubiak doesn't have fire or passion or heart.

He's always chewed guys out and then walked back to the sideline and looked calm.

Just like you want from a coach.

digitalswim
10-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Kubiak scares the hell out of me. For someone who is touted as an offensive guru he sure can be ultra conservative at times.

When all we needed was to burn a little clock by getting a first down he was calling 3 rushes and a cloud of dirt. Jeez! At least semi-disguise your intentions. The Steelers just piled up in the box forcing two 3 and outs giving their offense a chance to get back in it. We were just fortunate the Steelers had the walking wounded offensive line.

I hate to rain on the parade but it's very frustrating playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Even though I expect good things this year, I think that this lack of killer instinct on Gary's part is always going to be the Texans Achilles heel.

:kubepalm:

Carr Bombed
10-03-2011, 03:54 AM

LOL, has nothing to do with it :)

Even if you "don't have it"...once it's applied to your feet, you feel it, after that you can't help BUT have it. What we're seeing here is a man cornered and a man coaching for his job. He knows if he doesn't deliver this season he'll no longer be a head coach in this league and **** any player who tries to mess that up. Now is not the time to be Mr Nice guy. Long story short....Kubiak is a man cornered this season.

SuperSerial
10-03-2011, 05:37 AM
I hate kubiak, but he gets props today for calling a very rare good game.

Glad to see he had a pulse on the sidelines as well.

Grams
10-03-2011, 05:57 AM
Kubiak scares the hell out of me. For someone who is touted as an offensive guru he sure can be ultra conservative at times.

When all we needed was to burn a little clock by getting a first down he was calling 3 rushes and a cloud of dirt. Jeez! At least semi-disguise your intentions. The Steelers just piled up in the box forcing two 3 and outs giving their offense a chance to get back in it. We were just fortunate the Steelers had the walking wounded offensive line.

I hate to rain on the parade but it's very frustrating playing not to lose instead of playing to win. Even though I expect good things this year, I think that this lack of killer instinct on Gary's part is always going to be the Texans Achilles heel.

Exactly!

SuperSerial
10-03-2011, 06:04 AM

I disagree. One of Kub's biggest failures is his inability to work the clock, control the flow, and keep opposing offenses (especially against good teams) off the field. Staying conservative and running the ball is the key to this.

In the 4th last week, he threw the ball 18 times and ran it 3 times. That is not how you protect a lead and keep brees off the field. If he would have been more "conservative" and called the game wisely, Brees would not have had the chance to run up the score like he did. An 18/3 ratio is not conservative.

In addition, when behind (even slightly behind), he almost always panics and starts launching an all out air assault. This almost always results in moderate results at best, with plenty of failed drives, and always allows the opposing QB back on the field with plenty of time to burn us. Hard to justfiy that when you have the best rushing offense in the league (last year), and a solid rushing offense this year. A rushing offense that can control the clock, control the flow, and keep opposing QBs off the field.

PapaL
10-03-2011, 06:10 AM

This is pure truth!

Last 3-4 drives, we went into this Mickey Mouse type Offense, after trampling them most of the game. They dared us to pass and we went deep to Jacoby? With AJ out, the Offense need to go through the TEs and RBs, both of which were eating the Steelers lunch all day.

Lucky
10-03-2011, 06:38 AM
I think Kubiak was upset that the offense had screwed up on the "Sonic Drive of the Day". No points means no free burger. And Gary likes his free burgers.

Trail.Blazr
10-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Ravens have no passing game, btw.

YAY!!!! Put me in coach!!!

sincerely,

K-Jax

El Tejano
10-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Well, if it was Kubiak doing what he had to or it was because he's trying to save his job, the team went out on the very next possesion and scored a clutch TD. Hopefully he learns from this and continues with this. Truth is that we as a team really won this game in all phases and the score would've been about 31-10 if not for the dumb penalties.

Seņor Stan
10-03-2011, 07:32 AM
I think Kubiak was upset that the offense had screwed up on the "Sonic Drive of the Day". No points means no free burger. And Gary likes his free burgers.

Saves him from having to read the menu...we all know how tough that is on him.

rmartin65
10-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Ravens have no passing game, btw. They just ran the ball on the Jets and used their defense to beat Sanchez and his Jets to a pulp. I think we can take them, but it won't be easy. I'm already looking at that game, man.

Wrong. Just because they can beat a team running does not mean they cant throw.

Trail.Blazr
10-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Wrong. Just because they can beat a team running does not mean they cant throw.

Actually, a little right...

I actually watched the game and would concede that they couldn't throw. Flacco looked pathetic. Now, one game.. yadda yadda yadda.. I'm not saying they can't throw. Just that they didn't against the jets, which was the basis of the comment as I read.

I HOPE their passing game is that pathetic come week 6.

One thing is for sure.. based on what I've seen out of Flacco in 1 game, he didn't show the skill set to make me think he's gonna "school" our CB2 position, which is in itself a big concern on any given week for us.

ArlingtonTexan
10-03-2011, 08:30 AM
I disagree. One of Kub's biggest failures is his inability to work the clock, control the flow, and keep opposing offenses (especially against good teams) off the field. Staying conservative and running the ball is the key to this.

In the 4th last week, he threw the ball 18 times and ran it 3 times. That is not how you protect a lead and keep brees off the field. If he would have been more "conservative" and called the game wisely, Brees would not have had the chance to run up the score like he did. An 18/3 ratio is not conservative.

In addition, when behind (even slightly behind), he almost always panics and starts launching an all out air assault. This almost always results in moderate results at best, with plenty of failed drives, and always allows the opposing QB back on the field with plenty of time to burn us. Hard to justfiy that when you have the best rushing offense in the league (last year), and a solid rushing offense this year. A rushing offense that can control the clock, control the flow, and keep opposing QBs off the field.

Honestly, I though Kubiak played it right in this game. At first i was whiny about what I though was too conservative in the 2nd half, but forcing the run and really short passing game kept the clock spinning also showed trust in the defense.

Coaches yelling at guys or in other ways showinfg fire does nothing to excite me, but hey the team responded on the next drive.

Mr teX
10-03-2011, 09:00 AM

this post is terrible....:vincepalm:

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2011, 09:16 AM

You want him to come out throwing in the 4th quarter with a lead? Seriously?

No. You don't. You want to come out and run, run, run. You want our running game to be good enough to work when everyone knows what you're trying to do.

If you come out and start throwing, then you're giving the other team more time to come back.

Kubiak played it correctly.

El Tejano
10-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Honestly I think we didn't score more in the first half because we controlled the ball for so long.

thunderkyss
10-03-2011, 09:26 AM

With 9 minutes left in the game, I sure wish he was a little more conservative against the Saints.

Ask DexmanC about that game we knew MJD was going to get the ball & run it down our throats. All we needed to do was get the ball back to give us a chance to win the game.

This team is soft. & if yesterday's game didn't show you we are soft, I don't know what will. (Defensively, those guys weren't soft... the offense, the "leading rushing team" was soft).

We can score points, we can run the ball, we can pass the ball.... Until we need them. When we need them, we fold.

The Steelers D is not a joke. But if Eric Winston & the offense want to shake the "soft" label, they need to run the ball in the situations we need to run the ball.

Kubiak isn't calling for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Those are the same plays Foster got 9 yards on or Tate got 14. It's execution..... it's the difference between a soft team, and a winning team.

I can almost guarantee if we could have moved the ball, running, Gary would have taken a shot after a first down or two.

LOL, has nothing to do with it :)

Even if you "don't have it"...once it's applied to your feet, you feel it, after that you can't help BUT have it. What we're seeing here is a man cornered and a man coaching for his job. He knows if he doesn't deliver this season he'll no longer be a head coach in this league and **** any player who tries to mess that up. Now is not the time to be Mr Nice guy. Long story short....Kubiak is a man cornered this season.

Completely agree...

I don't understand why he didn't feel this last year. He most definitely should have. Maybe he was telling the truth when he said he knows how fortunate he is to still have a job. Whatever McNair told him that day must have finally sunk in. Don't know why it didn't sink in the year before.

But this is a different man he's been acting different all year. Like he finally gets that his job is on the line.

Texan_Bill
10-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Really? Kubiak cussing out the offense??? I thought he wasn't fiery enough? Oh wait, he's not fiery enough with the refs... I dunno, I'm all confused now.

thunderkyss
10-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Really? Kubiak cussing out the offense??? I thought he wasn't fiery enough? Oh wait, he's not fiery enough with the refs... I dunno, I'm all confused now.

C'mon, you're taking a few things out of context.

It's not like Kubiak has a heart to heart with anyone on the team on a regular basis during the game
I don't think I remember anygame when he had a face to face twice in the same game; Matt, the OL
You still don't understand what I was saying about the ref & the beating Matt takes - drop it

digitalswim
10-03-2011, 03:26 PM
You want him to come out throwing in the 4th quarter with a lead? Seriously?

No. You don't. You want to come out and run, run, run. You want our running game to be good enough to work when everyone knows what you're trying to do.

If you come out and start throwing, then you're giving the other team more time to come back.

Kubiak played it correctly.

All you guys jumping my post are misunderstanding me. I'm not advising him to come out throwing bombs. What I was trying to illustrate was a coach who is noted for his creativity became very obvious in his play calling. Running the ball was the appropriate thing to do for the majority of that period in the game but did he have to make it so freaking obvious? Couldn't we have spread them out a bit (via formation) like we had been doing the entire game? One first down would have broke their back.

The Steelers may not be what they once were but any team can stop us if they all pile up in the box without fear of a play action pass or anything. Don't believe me? It just happened yesterday. We have to get first downs to burn the clock. We were three and out so fast yesterday, hardly any clock was being burned at all. Give a team with any kind of offense multiple chances like that and I don't think we are celebrating a win today.

Ryan
10-03-2011, 03:38 PM
With 9 minutes left in the game, I sure wish he was a little more conservative against the Saints.

Ask DexmanC about that game we knew MJD was going to get the ball & run it down our throats. All we needed to do was get the ball back to give us a chance to win the game.

This team is soft. & if yesterday's game didn't show you we are soft, I don't know what will. (Defensively, those guys weren't soft... the offense, the "leading rushing team" was soft).

We can score points, we can run the ball, we can pass the ball.... Until we need them. When we need them, we fold.

The Steelers D is not a joke. But if Eric Winston & the offense want to shake the "soft" label, they need to run the ball in the situations we need to run the ball.

Kubiak isn't calling for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Those are the same plays Foster got 9 yards on or Tate got 14. It's execution..... it's the difference between a soft team, and a winning team.

I read this post and started laughing thinking you were joking, but it seems I was wrong. I'm really not sure what you expected out of this team, to get 8-10 yards on every play towards the end of the game, against traditionally one of the best rushing defenses out there, after we had already burned them on the ground throughout the game. Especially after we lost our main and only threat in the WR corps, of course they're gonna load the box and stop us. That was as physical of a game that I've seen our o-line play, and we dominated the line of scrimmage for a large portion of the game, but when they load the box every play knowing you have no other better option then to run and burn out the clock, there's no way you can expect great results against such a good team.

fiasco west
10-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Kubes post game speech...

http://old.houstontexans.com/news/PodcastCentral2.asp?AUTO=Y&EID=1581

Actually there is video of it at the site too.

TheCD
10-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Arian only rushed for, what, 155 yards yesterday? I'd say that's plenty reason to grind the clock out in the 4th. Getting cute as an "offensive guru" has led to us running such awesome "never saw it coming" plays such as the halfback pass. No thanks, I never need to see that play again...I don't care if Arian was an all-nation high school QB.

What you're referring to comes down to execution and expectation. The drives were executed poorly based on how the defense played them. Sure, checking to a pass play could have caught them off guard, but it could have also resulted in Matt's typical 1 WTF pass of every game that results in a pick 6. Tie game, now we're playing to try to win instead of the keep the lead. What needs to happen here is the offensive line needs to decide that it's time to whoop some ass, and just start pushing guys backwards.

On a side note, is anyone else only slightly happy about yesterday's win? I almost feel as though we lost. The media is stating this was a "statement win", but all I can see are mistakes that will get us creamed against teams like the Titans. I am happy we won, but I really feel like the Steelers are getting way more credit than they deserve this year. It feels as though we barely beat a mediocre to below average team yesterday.

I'm starting to get really worried about us leaving all these points off the board. It's going to keep haunting us like it did against the Saints. A team that has an offense which can protect its QB for longer than 2 nanoseconds and run the ball well is going to tear us apart, I think.

welsh texan
10-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Listen, its a big well done to Kubes for calling them out on the sideline and putting some fire into them, but aren't people tired of seeing this team come out flat either at the start of a game or after half time?

Kubiak needs to learn that when the team has left that number of points on the field instead of on the board they need a rollicking at half time.

I hope he remembers what he had to do this week when it comes to half time in a game that shouldn't even be close but is next time it happens, and puts a rocket up their arse at that point instead of nearly too late.

I can't imagine any coach that brings so much to the table (great offensive scheme, player selection, player coaching etc) and yet is so damn frustrating (conservatism, inability to fire them up in the locker room, complete ignorance of defense etc).

This team is doing horrible things to my blood pressure.

drunkcookie
10-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm really not concerned about yesterday's so-called "conservatism".. maybe I need to look back at the game, wait, didn't DVR it... anyway... It didn't seem conservative to me as much as "Hey, how about we go out there and do what has worked all game..." Were we looking for reverses and fake punts and flea-flickers? wtf?

.... I do want to see a flea-flicker out of nowhere though, not gunna lie...

Anyway... maybe passing on first down would have been nice in the 2nd half, or pass more than run, but why would you go away from what seemed to have been working down your #1 WR?

IlliniJen
10-03-2011, 07:50 PM
It only took six years to show some fire on the sideline.

/slowclap

unclejamima
10-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Knowing when to pick your battles goes a long way towards being a respected leader. If you have a boss that only bitches, your production will suffer when the shit hits the fan

SuperSerial
10-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Honestly, I though Kubiak played it right in this game. At first i was whiny about what I though was too conservative in the 2nd half, but forcing the run and really short passing game kept the clock spinning also showed trust in the defense.

I agree dude. Best game I've seen him call in a long time. He never panic'd and started airing it out. I hope he's finally starting to figure out his offense is his best defense.