PDA

View Full Version : Possible running back/receiver options?

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 04:35 PM
So it has finally come back to bite us that we haven't tried to upgrade our number 2 WR position. The offense seemed like they didn't know how to operate without Andre on the field. Who knows how much time he'll miss, but I've been saying for a couple of years now we need to upgrade there for this very reason.

I'm not sure who would bite at this point, but in a make or break year I'd be willing to float as high as a 2nd round pick for the right guy out there.

Running back depth should fix itself hopefully, but seeing CO out there against the Steelers Defense frightened me.

The Cush
10-02-2011, 05:10 PM
So it has finally come back to bite us that we haven't tried to upgrade our number 2 WR position. The offense seemed like they didn't know how to operate without Andre on the field. Who knows how much time he'll miss, but I've been saying for a couple of years now we need to upgrade there for this very reason.

I'm not sure who would bite at this point, but in a make or break year I'd be willing to float as high as a 2nd round pick for the right guy out there.

Running back depth should fix itself hopefully, but seeing CO out there against the Steelers Defense frightened me.

Me too, I actually had the same feelings that I normally did when I saw Slaton out there. Luckily though, when Ogbannaya ran into his own lineman he still picked up 2 yards something Steve couldn't do.

Dutchrudder
10-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Call Randy Moss. I think he will have a different attitude being on a 3-1 team instead of a 1-3 team.

Hervoyel
10-02-2011, 05:18 PM
There's got to be someone out there who can come in and be effective and a legitimate #2 when AJ gets back.

ObsiWan
10-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Me too, I actually had the same feelings that I normally did when I saw Slaton out there. Luckily though, when Ogbannaya ran into his own lineman he still picked up 2 yards something Steve couldn't do.

he picked up four yards actually
:D

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Call Randy Moss. I think he will have a different attitude being on a 3-1 team instead of a 1-3 team.

I think our better bet is to try to deal with a team for a guy who's been playing and active. There has to be a team out there who's going nowhere who wouldn't mind taking a draft pick.

BullNation4Life
10-02-2011, 05:23 PM

one thing I do like about CO, Tate and Foster is they fall forward. Slaton always fell sideways, leaving another 2-3 yards on a run.

These 3 backs seem to make 1-2 yard gains into 3-5 yard gains just by falling forward after being tackled...

BullNation4Life
10-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I think our better bet is to try to deal with a team for a guy who's been playing and active. There has to be a team out there who's going nowhere who wouldn't mind taking a draft pick.

KC for Bowe but they won today so that could spark something....

srrono
10-02-2011, 05:27 PM
T.Owens reciever slash coach killer, kill 2 birds with 1 stone lol.

ObsiWan

Now you knew when you typed that that KC ain't about to give up D. Bowe.

Texn4life

I would love that, but I'd take anyone at this point. It was hard watching the Texans lacking confidence in the 2nd half to even attempt throwing the ball. Its almost like they've never even thought of the possibility Andre could ever get hurt.

BullNation4Life
10-02-2011, 05:28 PM
T.Owens reciever slash coach killer, kill 2 birds with 1 stone lol.

Soooo can I assume HitGirls silencer is aimed at Kubes off screen?:jogger:

BullNation4Life
10-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Now you knew when you typed that that KC ain't about to give up D. Bowe.

I know, I know but that is the only team that isn't going anywhere that has good talent...

oh what about Lloyd in Denver? He might be available...They sucks....

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I honestly was thinking of a Brandon Lloyd type of receiver. Up there in age, but can still produce in the right system. He's been a journeyman and just happened to produce in the Broncos offense. Bernard Berrian comes to mind as well.

sometexansfan
10-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Moss seems to be the best option out there, but knowing our FO, I'd be shocked if it happened.

BullNation4Life
10-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I honestly was thinking of a Brandon Lloyd type of receiver. Up there in age, but can still produce in the right system. He's been a journeyman and just happened to produce in the Broncos offense. Bernard Berrian comes to mind as well.

yeeees and he still has some speed....

Don't need a superstar, just a good player until the Texans superstar comes back. I expect Andre to miss the Raiders game...

Pollardized
10-02-2011, 05:51 PM
LMAO... this thread prompted me to look at stats from Dolphins - Chargers game:
.............REC YARDS TD LONG
S. Slaton 1 -2 0 -2

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 06:07 PM
yeeees and he still has some speed....

Don't need a superstar, just a good player until the Texans superstar comes back. I expect Andre to miss the Raiders game...

It makes sense for Minnesota too. They're not going anywhere this year. They may as well try to build for the future around Peterson and Ponder.

Naiirb
10-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Does anyone else find it disturbing that other than AJ not one receiver caught a pass today? Especially during the 2nd half?

TheMatrix31
10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
We're not even THROWING to Jacoby or Walter.

That bothers me a lot.

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Does anyone else find it disturbing that other than AJ not one receiver caught a pass today? Especially during the 2nd half?

Very disturbing!!!! It's really almost embarrassing how much why had to rely on a guy who was coming off of a hamstring injury when our team is supposed to have so many "weapons".

TheMatrix31
10-02-2011, 06:22 PM
EVERYBODY should be involved in the passing game.

Andre, Jacoby, Walter, Bryant Johnson, OD, Dreesen, Casey, Vickers, Foster, and Tate.

They should ALL get receptions. This is supposed to be a versatile offense. Right now, we're one-dimensional as hell due to injury. But when you're not even targeting the guys who ARE healthy, it makes no sense.

Dutchrudder
10-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Who would you get? Percy Harvin from the Vikings for two 2nds? Someone from the Colts? I dunno if we're gonna find much there. Moss kind of makes sense as he's a vertical threat, but there's no telling what condition he's in.

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Who would you get? Percy Harvin from the Vikings for two 2nds? Someone from the Colts? I dunno if we're gonna find much there. Moss kind of makes sense as he's a vertical threat, but there's no telling what condition he's in.

Well I'm thinking more like Bernard Berrian. The Vikings won't part with Harvin. But I think Berrian can come in and make an impact in this offense.

DocBar
10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
S. Slaton 1 -2 0 -2Tack on 1 rush for 2 yds. I'm so glad he's gone.

Ryan
10-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Our receiving corps scares me even with AJ in there. Without him, it's probably the worst WR corps in football.

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Our receiving corps scares me even with AJ in there. Without him, it's probably the worst WR corps in football.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way. Our offense is good because of scheme, but we don't out talent anyone in the league at WR without Andre. I love Kevin Walter, but can somebody remind me why we're paying him all of this money again? Because bring up his blocking, and that's great. But a #2 receiver in this league should be able to make plays.

ArlingtonTexan
10-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Well I'm thinking more like Bernard Berrian. The Vikings won't part with Harvin. But I think Berrian can come in and make an impact in this offense.

You mean his whole two catches for the entire season. We would be doing the Vikings a favor even sending a 7th for him.

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 07:05 PM
You mean his whole two catches for the entire season. We would be doing the Vikings a favor even sending a 7th for him.

You do realize who he has throwing the ball to him right? I watched a lot of the Vikings game today too, and he missed Berrian open at least 4 times. McNabb is done. I'm not saying he'd be the greatest option, but getting Brandon Marshall or Bowe from KC is out of the question. Berrian can run, still get open, and with a legit QB still make plays. He had a 50+ yard TD the first game of the pre-season I believe getting past the defense. The guy can stretch the field better than anything we have on our roster other than Andre.

Edit: It was the 3rd pre-season game against the Cowboys. I'm not saying he's for sure the guy I'd go for, but I am saying we need to do something.

Brandon420tx
10-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Justin Blackman, preferably via Atlanta Falcons/Julio Jones trade scenario

Kimmy
10-02-2011, 11:04 PM
What about Chad 85? I only suggest this because I know the Patriots love stocking up draft picks and may be willing.

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 11:15 PM
What about Chad 85? I only suggest this because I know the Patriots love stocking up draft picks and may be willing.

I hope Rick is already working the phones to see what interest teams have in dealing. Chad doesn't seem like a good fit there, and I'm not 100 percent sold he would be a fit here. I'm just tired of having a glorified run blocking #2 receiver. The Cowboys lost their number 1 and Dez Bryant stepped up. I think we're one of the only teams with only one true WR threat on the outside.

EllisUnit
10-02-2011, 11:19 PM
I hope Rick is already working the phones to see what interest teams have in dealing. Chad doesn't seem like a good fit there, and I'm not 100 percent sold he would be a fit here. I'm just tired of having a glorified run blocking #2 receiver. The Cowboys lost their number 1 and Dez Bryant stepped up. I think we're one of the only teams with only one true WR threat on the outside.

agree only reason K.W our J.J get any looks is cause A.J draws double triple teams and they are always 1 on 1. Without AJ we become damn near one dimensional. IF AJ is out for an extended amount of time we had better make some moves otherwise i fear the season will be lost.

steelbtexan
10-02-2011, 11:24 PM
James Jones would be my target.

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 11:24 PM
agree only reason K.W our J.J get any looks is cause A.J draws double triple teams and they are always 1 on 1. Without AJ we become damn near one dimensional. IF AJ is out for an extended amount of time we had better make some moves otherwise i fear the season will be lost.

Exactly! Andre opens the field up for the other players on the team to do what they do. It really did feel like Kubiak was almost scared to throw the ball in the 2nd half because he didn't have any confidence in them. I know Andre is great, but these guys are professional wide receivers. They should be able to get open and catch the ball. You see UDFA's step up all the time for teams and make plays without another receiver of Andre's caliber on the other side. Kubiak talks these guys up enough, but doesn't seem to have confidence in them.

Texn4life
10-02-2011, 11:26 PM
James Jones would be my target.

I really like that option. He's being wasted away in Green Bay. They even have Cobb there taking receiver snaps so it's possible they may bite. They run a similar system to us as well so it may not take him long to get up to speed.

GuerillaBlack
10-02-2011, 11:29 PM

Would have much rather had Dez Bryant than Kareem Jackson.

EllisUnit
10-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Would have much rather had Dez Bryant than Kareem Jackson.

thats no lie.

leebigeztx
10-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Moss should've been on this roster a after the lockout.

ArlingtonTexan
10-03-2011, 12:37 AM
Moss should've been on this roster a after the lockout.

Yeah, because he was such a good player in 2010 and has showed so much interest in playing in 2011.

Clamp
10-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Austin Collie is listed as the #3 WR on the Colts depth chart. As much as I dont like the idea of giving the Colts any extra draft picks, they maybe be willing to make a deal this year just bc they have so much rebuilding to do after this season. I'd give a 2 picks for him, maybe a 3rd and 7th or a 4th and 5th. Same for James Jones or Jordy Nelson from Green Bay.

TheMatrix31
10-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Jordy Nelson is not an option. He's basically Wes Welker.

Clamp
10-03-2011, 01:26 AM
I'd love to have Wes Welker or Jordy Nelson

Clamp
10-03-2011, 01:27 AM
We might could line up OD in the slot and letting dressen and graham handle the tight end spot lol

Texn4life
10-03-2011, 01:28 AM
Jordy Nelson is not an option. He's basically Wes Welker.

And way too important to their offense. With Finley back for them they don't really need James Jones. That would be the target I'd go after on the Packers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Texans have ever mad a mid-season trade. It doesn't happen much anyway in the NFL, but I'm pretty sure we never have. Hell, we haven't made many off-season trades either. Schaub is the only one that comes to mind.

The Cush
10-03-2011, 01:38 AM
And way too important to their offense. With Finley back for them they don't really need James Jones. That would be the target I'd go after on the Packers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Texans have ever mad a mid-season trade. It doesn't happen much anyway in the NFL, but I'm pretty sure we never have. Hell, we haven't made many off-season trades either. Schaub is the only one that comes to mind.

We actually have. One I can remember was actually with the Packers, it was the blockbuster Vernand Morency for Samkon Gado

Texn4life
10-03-2011, 01:51 AM
We actually have. One I can remember was actually with the Packers, it was the blockbuster Vernand Morency for Samkon Gado

Lol, Vernand Morency...... Now that's a name that strikes up pleasant memories. You think he's still available since we're thin at RB?

TexansBull
10-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Owens is not coming here because he just 5-6 months out of his ACL surgery. To quick of a recovery time probably, but our FO will get blamed for that.

Moss gives half an effort so that's a no.

I wouldn't trade for a player if AJ is just going to be out 3-4 games, which may be the possibility. Why give up a draft pick or picks when we could draft one next year? AJ's injury may not be that bad.

And I don't know why we are down on our number 2 & 3 receivers. KW almost went to Baltimore in free agency a few years ago and jacoby looked better in game 1 in not dropping balls. We went a couple of games the past fews years without AJ and I think we could get through it if Arian, Ward, and Tate are 100%. And Jacoby, Bryant(? Is that the guy we got off the street?) and KW need to step it up a notch.

Now, I would kick the tires on Johnny Lee Higgins. I am saying that because he is from Sweeny, not to far from here, and the guy played decent with the Raiders. I think the coach and him didn't gel so that's why he is a FA. Not a bad kid so I am surprised. He is quick, so him and Jacoby could catch the ball would be pretty fun to watch.

Here are some quick stats:

4.43 40 @ the combine in 2007. He's from the raiders so you know he's fast.
2008 had more receiving yards than any other Raiders WR(probably Jamarcus Russel factor. If he can cath those balls, than he can catch Matt's).
Returned punts for touchdowns in back to back games.

Since David Anderson isn't too popular, I would bring Higgins in to replace DA.

What do yall think?

ArlingtonTexan
10-03-2011, 10:55 AM
A couple of realistic names that the Texans get by trading draft picks.

Laurent Robinson - Cowboys receiver who is young and has good hands. He had a good game yesterday with 7 Rex for 116 yds.

Riley Cooper - Eagles 2nd or 3rd year receiver who I have rated very highly since he was at Florida. He has great hands but the number of weapons the Eagles have has restricted playing time. However, he is getting more action so if the Texans want him then get him now before he really breaks out.

James Jones - Someone previously mentioned him. Good receiver and has learned from one of the best. Donald Driver. The Packers have the best receiving corps but I fear the price may be too high.

Think this is level to look. I would say with all of the cowboys' issues with their number three that Robinson won't come as easy as he should, but there has to be another of his type free that the Texans think fit the system. he is a guy who had shown flashes, and while a veteran is not 30 plus and decling.

beerlover
10-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I would certainly expect a move this week to address WR need. Not much salary cap room so player would be closer to minimum than talent commensurate with need. Rick has done an excellent job finding gems off waiver wire but a meaningful addition might just require a trade (very rare in NFL) like Victor Cruz, NYG or Eric Decker, Broncos. Low cost (salary) for high cost (draft pick) that fit into Kubiak system. Next option for Rick if he can't reach any kind of agreement with another team is to strip them of a PS player, problem is & I've searched other teams practice squads, these are not immediate impact players. Maybe Wade has some feel for Cowboy, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, he could at least replace Jacoby/Manning on kick return duties, keep them clean & focused on position duties but is a work in progess @ WR. Heck maybe they just activate Jeff Maehl?

This situation seems a little bit more urgent & I would actually fall into the trade for a young already developing WR in the trade camp. So I'll just remain cautiously optimistic that Rick Smith can work some big time trade magic :evil:

cuppacoffee
10-03-2011, 11:14 AM
S. Slaton 1 -2 0 -2

Tack on 1 rush for 2 yds. I'm so glad he's gone.

Why trash on the guy. I doubt he has had time to learn much of the offense there.

We didn't need him, he is probably done, but he doesn't deserve the hate being sent his way.

:coffee:

Hervoyel
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Why trash on the guy. I doubt he has had time to learn much of the offense there.

We didn't need him, he is probably done, but he doesn't deserve the hate being sent his way.

:coffee:

Well said, rep to you.

I've always found it a little disturbing how fast people turn on guys they were cheering for just a couple years ago.

steelbtexan
10-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Owens is not coming here because he just 5-6 months out of his ACL surgery. To quick of a recovery time probably, but our FO will get blamed for that.

Moss gives half an effort so that's a no.

I wouldn't trade for a player if AJ is just going to be out 3-4 games, which may be the possibility. Why give up a draft pick or picks when we could draft one next year? AJ's injury may not be that bad.

And I don't know why we are down on our number 2 & 3 receivers. KW almost went to Baltimore in free agency a few years ago and jacoby looked better in game 1 in not dropping balls. We went a couple of games the past fews years without AJ and I think we could get through it if Arian, Ward, and Tate are 100%. And Jacoby, Bryant(? Is that the guy we got off the street?) and KW need to step it up a notch.

Now, I would kick the tires on Johnny Lee Higgins. I am saying that because he is from Sweeny, not to far from here, and the guy played decent with the Raiders. I think the coach and him didn't gel so that's why he is a FA. Not a bad kid so I am surprised. He is quick, so him and Jacoby could catch the ball would be pretty fun to watch.

Here are some quick stats:

4.43 40 @ the combine in 2007. He's from the raiders so you know he's fast.
2008 had more receiving yards than any other Raiders WR(probably Jamarcus Russel factor. If he can cath those balls, than he can catch Matt's).
Returned punts for touchdowns in back to back games.

Since David Anderson isn't too popular, I would bring Higgins in to replace DA.

What do yall think?

Agreed, on TO and Moss

Disagree about trading a pick for w WR. Cooper or James Jones are better than any unproven WR that could be taken in the 3/4th rd. Which is what I would be whatI would be willing to give up in a trade.

They are proven playmakers that know the NFL game and are less of a crap shoot. IMHO The Texans will never make an in season trade like this. But it does make sense. They definitely need to find a WR that can handle the PR duties for JJ until AJ gets healthy.

Big Valley
10-03-2011, 11:34 AM
Based on the Texans FO draft history (granted some picks have been lost to injury), why do we as fans covet future draft picks. The team is 50/50 at best.

Give up a 3rd or 4th for Brandon Marshall, Dwayne Bowe, or Percy Harvin, and watch this team soar.

There has never been a time to pull the trigger more than now.

:trophy: ...we need one.

Hervoyel
10-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Based on the Texans FO draft history (granted some picks have been lost to injury), why do we as fans covet future draft picks. The team is 50/50 at best.

Give up a 3rd or 4th for Brandon Marshall, Dwayne Bowe, or Percy Harvin, and watch this team soar.

There has never been a time to pull the trigger more than now.

:trophy: ...we need one.

I don't necessarily want Percy Harvin but I follow your logic here perfectly. Give the Texans one of those picks and you more than likely come out with a Jacoby Jones type player and that's why you have this problem to begin with.

Trade the pick for somebody who can a) step up and make a significant contribution while AJ is down and b) actually compliment him when he returns. Jacoby is a return man/role player and not a legitimate #2 wideout. He's Corey Bradford with a maturity problem.