PDA

View Full Version : The booted bootleg?

Malloy
10-02-2011, 04:23 PM
As with last week, are we even sporting the bootleg in the playlist anymore?

run/run/pass/punt playcalling is making me beat up pillows.

But... I did'nt _really_ look, but thinking back I'm not sure I've seen a single bootleg... is it me or are our bootlegging days done?

ThaJokaa
10-02-2011, 04:24 PM
I hope not! We always get the ball deep with that play!

EllisUnit
10-02-2011, 04:25 PM

But... I did'nt _really_ look, but thinking back I'm not sure I've seen a single bootleg... is it me or are our bootlegging days done?

i didnt see one single bootleg this game either, we didnt go for any home runs except that one to J.J the whole game either.

mariowillshine15
10-02-2011, 04:25 PM

I think they just went extremely conservative.

Maybe scared Pitt would blitz and Schaub would get clobbered.

ObsiWan
10-02-2011, 04:28 PM
i didnt see one single bootleg this game either, we didnt go for any home runs except that one to J.J the whole game either.

I saw a couple. Both times Polamalu came hard at Schaub as soon as he started to roll out. LeBeau had his boys prepared for that play so it had to be put on the shelf.

Malloy
I think they just went extremely conservative.

Maybe scared Pitt would blitz and Schaub would get clobbered.

Then instead we *surprise* run it on every first down we have... If I know what to expect, I'm pretty sure the Steelers know it too.

I want my bootlegs back :(

sometexansfan
I don't think so, running the boot against Pittsburgh usually isn't a good idea. I remember a few years ago when the Broncos played them in the AFC championship, they tried to run the boot, but Pittsburgh just sent someone after the quarterback no matter what and shut it down.

Malloy
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I hope you're right, that it's because of the Steelers, but last week we saw no bootlegs in the second half either.

I guess my point is that in order for other teams to fear the bootleg, we'll have to run it at some point...

TheMatrix31
10-02-2011, 04:32 PM
We don't have the players to make it happen.

You need a reliable running game.

We only have Tate. Or we only have Foster.

We need Foster/Ward, Foster/Tate or Ward/Tate to run it.

The Pencil Neck
10-02-2011, 04:32 PM
There are teams and schemes you run the bootleg against and there are teams and schemes you don't.

We ran at least 2 bootlegs in this game but both times the contain guy was coming for Schaub and Schaub had to get the ball out quick to keep from getting sacked.

IIRC, the play where Andre got hurt was a bootleg.

sometexansfan
10-02-2011, 04:35 PM
After seeing how Foster ran today, I would expect to see a few next week against an aggressive Raiders defense.

playa465
10-02-2011, 10:56 PM
As others have mentioned the Steelers are a team that would seriously kill the QB on a bootleg...with their OLBs and that TP, I would fear for Schaub's life

hradhak
10-02-2011, 11:00 PM
It's a great play when you have a defense that is worried about getting destroyed by the run. The Colts can't stop the run and get fixated on stopping it and so it is easy to run the boot. The Steelers have great contain with their LBs so they can stop the boot. I imagine we won't see it against the Ravens, but we'll probably see it against the Raiders

TimeKiller
10-02-2011, 11:48 PM
run/run/pass/punt kills me too. He started that about 3 drives too early. Defense really bailed out that weakass attempt at ball control. The whole point of their philosophy is not getting into long down and distance. It's not even a killer instinct, it's losing aggression altogether. Cowardly playcalling at the end, that's all I can say. That and the D stepped up.

Norg
10-02-2011, 11:50 PM
I hate the playcalling has well

Run/RUn/Pass/Punt

But when AJ went down i think we got kinda missplaced IMO

I HOPE""""""""" next week we will do some different stuff

FOr such a so called Offesnive Guro in Kunbes open some stuff UP !!!! i wanna see something stuff just off the top of my head

Screen plays
Toss plays to a RB
shovel pass
every once in a while throw a deep ball strike to the endzone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rey
10-03-2011, 01:19 AM
There are teams and schemes you run the bootleg against and there are teams and schemes you don't.

We ran at least 2 bootlegs in this game but both times the contain guy was coming for Schaub and Schaub had to get the ball out quick to keep from getting sacked.

IIRC, the play where Andre got hurt was a bootleg.

Yep.

And just to add to what you wrote, when the offensive coordinator sees that the olb is ignoring the run and keying qb that's when you let your back and oline know that the cutback is there for the taking.

eriadoc
10-03-2011, 02:26 AM
I believe the play where AJ hurt himself was a bootleg that was sniffed out. Schaub had to throw the ball before he got the chance to roll out, and AJ made a pretty good grab on a low pass that was thrown under duress.

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2011, 02:55 AM
The only part of run/run/pass/punt that kills me is the punt part (or the turning the ball over part.) pass/pass/pass/punt is much worse because then you give the ball over and you haven't even run any of the clock off.

With Foster, the run/run part alone could get you a first down.

So, for me, I'm not bothered by that part of the play-calling. I am bothered that the team doesn't execute and force our will on the defense and get a first down. A great team with the lead goes run/run/pass and gets a first down somewhere in that sequence and starts it all over again and that's what we've got to aspire to.

Maddict5
10-03-2011, 03:40 AM
Then instead we *surprise* run it on every first down we have... If I know what to expect, I'm pretty sure the Steelers know it too.

I want my bootlegs back :(

how did you not see the steelers were def playing the bootlegs hard? the play aj got injured was an aborted bootleg by schaub cos troy was coming hard after him... i remember there were other run plays where there was a steeler either waiting for or blitzing matt. 1 of the reasons arian got his long td was that woodley was playing the bootleg more than staying in his running lane.

sakebomb
10-03-2011, 06:54 AM
I'm thinking it had to do with Troy Polamalu being so good at reading, reacting, and blowing up plays. That guy is all over the field.

foo82
10-03-2011, 08:58 AM
I also remember 2 bootlegs being ran. Both resulted in a semi screen type play (without the screen). He had the dump the ball off at LOS both times I believe, but yeah...the bootlegs only work with certain defenses, but not with Pittsburgh. They were definitely not fooled.