PDA

View Full Version : Anybody still questioning Foster's value the team?

Rey
10-02-2011, 03:58 PM
No?

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of good things today.

If someone has a complaining mouth today just shoot yourself in the mouth. Thanks in advance.

Mr. Texan
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM
pay him rick

ThaJokaa
10-02-2011, 04:06 PM
pay him rick

this

JamesBill
10-02-2011, 04:06 PM
No?

If someone has a complaining mouth today just shoot yourself in the mouth. Thanks in advance.

That's a bit harsh.

El Tejano
10-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Somebody questioned Foster's value to this team?

Joeycharp89
10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
The only thing that surprised me is how many touches he took. I didn't think he would get that much action off of the injury, even with Tate injured. Good to see him at seemingly 100%.

Rey
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM

Yep.

Quite a few people.

HJam72
10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
In answer to the thread title:

NO! :)

Dutchrudder
10-02-2011, 04:38 PM
I would begin talks with his agent, but you don't need to sign him right now. Let him play few more weeks and barring injury, sign him towards the end of the season.

Rey
10-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I would begin talks with his agent, but you don't need to sign him right now. Let him play few more weeks and barring injury, sign him towards the end of the season.

Yeah I agree although I would not be upset if they showed a good player like him, who has just gone about his business, some love.

Dutchrudder
10-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Yeah I agree although I would not be upset if they showed a good player like him, who has just gone about his business, some love.

I realize that, but you have to consider that he has played 1 good game this season. A good business man doesn't invest that way. He's on the hook for the rest of the season, at least let him start another 3-5 games before giving him 5 years 30 million.

ObsiWan
10-02-2011, 05:23 PM
I realize that, but you have to consider that he has played 1 good game this season. A good business man doesn't invest that way. He's on the hook for the rest of the season, at least let him start another 3-5 games before giving him 5 years 30 million.

A good businessman would invest now. If he gets rolling and piles up the stats, he's going to command even more money than he does at this early stage. With every 100 yd game, every TD he scores the price goes up.

If you think he's a good investment - and is there anyone who thinks he isn't - you get in on the ground floor.
Now.

The Cush
10-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Whoever questioned Foster's value not only needs to be slapped but also should get their knee checked out by Dr. James Andrews, after such a knee-jerk reaction

TexansForTheW
10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Foster's vision sets him apart from average running backs. That's why the man is elite. That 40+ yard run he has is a perfect example.

Showtime100
10-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Yep.

Quite a few people.

I didn't see any of it but on the gamethread I try and read all post so it might have gotten lost in the scan. Wow. What has Foster ever done for someone to say he isn't needed or valued? We can get pretty pissed as a fanbase...lol.

headsplint
10-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Is it just me, or did anyone else notice after Foster's TD run, Polamalu was all over him. It almost seemed like he was only targeting Foster. I don't know if he was pissed about getting burned, or if he was instructed to do so, but every play after that, he made a B-Line for Foster.

76Texan
10-02-2011, 05:43 PM
A good businessman would invest now. If he gets rolling and piles up the stats, he's going to command even more money than he does at this early stage. With every 100 yd game, every TD he scores the price goes up.

If you think he's a good investment - and is there anyone who thinks he isn't - you get in on the ground floor.
Now.

Good point!

houstonspartan
10-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Who questioned Foster's value to this team? I never bought into the "plug and play" RB concept that people believed. I always thought AF was a difference maker.

welsh texan
10-02-2011, 05:49 PM
My only concern is how he's going to feel in the morning. I'd imagine the plan was for him to take at most ~20 touches today, but with Tate hurt he was forced to play more than was maybe ideal.

Hopefully we have Tate or Ward available next week, I thought Foster understandably slowed down a little later on and it will be important to get both of those two back ASAP to give him a breather and keep him fresh.

My worry is that the reports of the Texans being close to the cap, how are they going to work it so that both he and Mario get paid? I hope there isn't a big problem waiting around the corner on this one because we need both.

Wolf
10-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Is it just me, or did anyone else notice after Foster's TD run, Polamalu was all over him. It almost seemed like he was only targeting Foster. I don't know if he was pissed about getting burned, or if he was instructed to do so, but every play after that, he made a B-Line for Foster.

yep I noticed that too

Dutchrudder
10-02-2011, 05:57 PM

Now.

The ground floor was before game 1 last year. He's already at the top of the league as far as RBs go and he's not going to be any more expensive than he is now, but his hamstring injury is the cause of concern. Let him play some more games to show that he's really back to full strength, and isn't going be out every 2-3 weeks with a tweaked hamstring or something worse.

EllisUnit
10-02-2011, 05:58 PM
My only concern is how he's going to feel in the morning. I'd imagine the plan was for him to take at most ~20 touches today, but with Tate hurt he was forced to play more than was maybe ideal.

Hopefully we have Tate or Ward available next week, I thought Foster understandably slowed down a little later on and it will be important to get both of those two back ASAP to give him a breather and keep him fresh.

My worry is that the reports of the Texans being close to the cap, how are they going to work it so that both he and Mario get paid? I hope there isn't a big problem waiting around the corner on this one because we need both.

agree otherwise there will be a lot of restructuring going on. I hope we can keep both, i'm sure our FO will find a way.

Mr teX
10-02-2011, 08:26 PM

dude's a competitor. he was pissed b/c that last td foster scored could've been prevented by him had he taken the right angle. in essence, it woke him up.

GP
10-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Classy.

Back to the topic: I felt like I had just watched the child of Adrian Peterson and Walter Payton. He's got "Sweetness" in him, don't you guys agree? The long strides, the ability to shift his body while running forward, the burst, everything.

Ryan
10-02-2011, 08:30 PM
I never did doubt Foster's value, but it did shut a few people i know up who were questioning him.

Kimmy
10-02-2011, 08:30 PM
On 610 post game show, Bum said he reminds him of Earl. That's quite a compliment. He also added "if he stays healthy"

EllisUnit
10-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Classy.

Back to the topic: I felt like I had just watched the child of Adrian Peterson and Walter Payton. He's got "Sweetness" in him, don't you guys agree? The long strides, the ability to shift his body while running forward, the burst, everything.

that juke move in the backfiled to make T.P miss and then he puts the hand down to keep his balance and then picks up 14. That right there shows you how smart of a player he is.

thunderkyss
10-02-2011, 08:53 PM
I watched a bit of the telecast. The announcer said Foster wanted to play last week but Kubiak said, "Hell no!!"

dream_team
10-02-2011, 08:53 PM
What made me sick is hearing friends and "fantasy experts" say how Foster is a "system RB". That's why Tate is successful... and no matter who we throw back there will be great!

I hope today shuts everyone up! Tate, you're a good RB, thanks for the hard work... but it's time for someone special to show you how it's done.

The system and OL the Texans have is good, but it needs Foster to make the rushing attack special.

Naiirb
10-02-2011, 08:54 PM
that juke move in the backfiled to make T.P miss and then he puts the hand down to keep his balance and then picks up 14. That right there shows you how smart of a player he is.

Yea plays like that are what makes Foster special. If Tate was back there he probably would of been tackled for a loss. Bravo Foster

mussop
10-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Yep.

Quite a few people.

Names please.

Thorn
10-02-2011, 09:53 PM
For TexMex Mom, I love your son. He is essential for this team. We need your boy to do his thing.

houstonspartan
10-02-2011, 09:55 PM

Also, didn't Antonio Smith sign a three-year deal? This is his third year...

And, we're going to have to do something about the WR situation, so there's that.

I think there's going to be massive re-structurings/waivering during the next off season. Jacoby, don't buy that house in Houston just yet...

TexansFanatic
10-02-2011, 09:55 PM
I don't know that I've questioned Foster's value.

But I am guilty of saying he's not irreplaceable.

My thinking, after watching what Ben Tate accomplished the first couple of games, was that there might be some thought given to letting him go rather than pay him after this season.

My thinking now? Pay him, Rick!

Rey
10-02-2011, 09:58 PM
I watched a bit of the telecast. The announcer said Foster wanted to play last week but Kubiak said, "Hell no!!"

Yeah.

They also said he could have played and likely would have come out ok. Good call by kubiak letting him have the extra week.

houstonspartan
10-02-2011, 10:02 PM
I don't know that I've questioned Foster's value.

But I am guilty of saying he's not irreplaceable.

My thinking, after watching what Ben Tate accomplished the first couple of games, was that there might be some thought given to letting him go rather than pay him after this season.

My thinking now? Pay him, Rick!

If team were to let Arian go after signing Jacoby to a big (undeserved) contract there would be riots up and down Kirby Drive.

Doppelganger
10-02-2011, 10:03 PM
The ground floor was before game 1 last year. He's already at the top of the league as far as RBs go and he's not going to be any more expensive than he is now, but his hamstring injury is the cause of concern. Let him play some more games to show that he's really back to full strength, and isn't going be out every 2-3 weeks with a tweaked hamstring or something worse.

I say let's see what he does until the bye week. Then if he still is playing well, give him a reasonable contract that is front loaded.

hradhak
10-02-2011, 10:14 PM
He's clearly our 2nd best offensive player (and would be the best offensive player on 1/2 the teams in the league). I think you have to pay him, if for no other reason, he'd sign with the Colts/Jags/Titans and burn us twice a year.

VTexan
10-02-2011, 10:26 PM

I think that had a lot to do with Andre being out thus not needing to a safety over the top and allowed Polamalu could roam around.

Just shows how one receiver can really impact a game and negate the Steelers best playmaker.

Showtime100
10-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I still look back to that play when Houston was backed up on their own 4 yard line on a 2nd and 12 (give or take). Foster gets the handoff and Polamalu is right there, he dekes inside to avoid the unabated hit by Troy and Troy almost tripped him up. Even though Foster almost stammers on his own foot he can still break it outside for 20 yards. Sweet. I did not want a 3rd and 15 or whatever - or worse - a fumble down that deep in own own end.

Calface4
10-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I still look back to that play when Houston was backed up on their own 4 yard line on a 2nd and 12 (give or take). Foster gets the handoff and Polamalu is right there, he dekes inside to avoid the unabated hit by Troy and Troy almost tripped him up. Even though Foster almost stammers on his own foot he can still break it outside for 20 yards. Sweet. I did not want a 3rd and 15 or whatever - or worse - a fumble down that deep in own own end.

Thats what makes foster so special. Those are the kind of plays that tate can't make. He's just that good man.

Hervoyel
10-02-2011, 11:49 PM
No?

Lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of good things today.

Honestly, I don't recall ever hearing anyone question Foster's value to the team. That's not to say it hasn't happened, I just don't remember seeing it. He's so much more elusive than anyone else we have. Tate's getting a little more wiggle to him as he gets comfortable but I don't think he'll ever have it to the degree that Foster does.

Foster's just hard to get a hand on and has that ability to sense contact coming and then avoid it.

Having said that if I see something wrong I'm going to complain about it. If hearing (reading) that is a problem I suggest the ignore feature over shooting yourself in the ear (eye?). I'd say "ears" but if you line it up just right one shot will take care of both of them and even if you miss I doubt you'll manage the follow up.

Ignore is really a much better way to deal with that.

BigBull17
10-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Foster's vision sets him apart from average running backs. That's why the man is elite. That 40+ yard run he has is a perfect example.

The vision to find the hole, and the burst to hit it. Tate is a great back up for foster, but that's what he is to us

Rey
10-03-2011, 12:14 AM
The vision to find the hole, and the burst to hit it. Tate is a great back up for foster, but that's what he is to us

Yep I recall quite a few people on and off the board and in the media questioning fosters value and saying Tate and ward could replace what he brings. I remember folks saying that foster was successful because he fit the system.

I've disagreed with that for a while but sometimes you don't realize how good something is until you go without it for a while.

SAMURAITEXAN
10-03-2011, 12:15 AM
With Foster, our O looks really alive and functioning well. He is a franchise back. Pay him Rick.

Go Texans!!!

thunderkyss
10-03-2011, 09:39 AM
What made me sick is hearing friends and "fantasy experts" say how Foster is a "system RB". That's why Tate is successful... and no matter who we throw back there will be great!

I hope today shuts everyone up! Tate, you're a good RB, thanks for the hard work... but it's time for someone special to show you how it's done.

The system and OL the Texans have is good, but it needs Foster to make the rushing attack special.

Why would it?

Arian Foster is a system back. Put David Carr or Dan Orlovsky at QB, & this offense doesn't work. Doesn't change the fact that Schaub is a "system" QB. Though Schaub makes this system "special" he ain't no Elway & I wonder how far he can take this "system"

Ben Tate is a system back... they work for this system.

Foster is special & he makes this "system" special. He's looking more & more like TD to me.

Dutchrudder
10-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I say let's see what he does until the bye week. Then if he still is playing well, give him a reasonable contract that is front loaded.

Right. His value and cost can only go down from here. We know what we have in him, just need to make sure he's 100% and not going to re-injure his hammy before doubling down on him.

eriadoc
10-03-2011, 11:48 AM
So I'm late to the thread, and maybe just oblivious to what's going on around here, but who ever questioned Foster's value? Just curious.

mussop
10-03-2011, 12:00 PM
So I'm late to the thread, and maybe just oblivious to what's going on around here, but who ever questioned Foster's value? Just curious.

No one.

thunderkyss
10-03-2011, 12:11 PM
No one.

When the season started, there were a lot of guys questioning Foster's value since Tate was having such a good season.

"The System" was being over played.

Double Barrel
10-03-2011, 12:33 PM
When the season started, there were a lot of guys questioning Foster's value since Tate was having such a good season.

"The System" was being over played.

Yep. I remember one long-time member saying we should trade him while his value is high, and another questioning his value because he tweets and his mom comes to the forum.

Neither were solid football takes and both should be forgotten due to the annual pre-season crazy-ideas-in-the-noggin' syndrome. :winky:

Texan_Bill
10-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Re: Anybody still questioning Foster's value the team?

Never did.

While I think Tate makes a good second back, and he's pretty good from 20 to 20 y/l. Foster? Goal line to Goal line..

thunderkyss
10-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Never did.

While I think Tate makes a good second back, and he's pretty good from 20 to 20 y/l. Foster? Goal line to Goal line..

Foster
Tate
Ward

kinda makes it wiggle a little.

Porky
10-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Has there ever been a better UDFA RB in the modern era, say from the 60's on? I know Priest Holmes was damn good, but Foster is better imo, and its not even that close. Anyone else? He is on the short list of top UDFA's all time at any position. You get a UDFA, who plays like a 10 top overall pick at RB? That's like going to Vegas and putting a quarter in the slot and walking away a millionaire.

The guy is elite at nearly every valued skill a RB can have with the exception of speed. He has good speed, but I don't think it's elite, but everything else is elite. This guy is special, and I'll say it probably for the first time right here - he is our second HOF player in the making. Yup, mark it here, he is a HOF RB in the making. :photos:

TexansForTheW
10-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Has there ever been a better UDFA RB in the modern era, say from the 60's on? I know Priest Holmes was damn good, but Foster is better imo, and its not even that close. Anyone else? He is on the short list of top UDFA's all time at any position. You get a UDFA, who plays like a 10 top overall pick at RB? That's like going to Vegas and putting a quarter in the slot and walking away a millionaire.

The guy is elite at nearly every valued skill a RB can have with the exception of speed. He has good speed, but I don't think it's elite, but everything else is elite. This guy is special, and I'll say it probably for the first time right here - he is our second HOF player in the making. Yup, mark it here, he is a HOF RB in the making. :photos:

You know, Arian has football speed. Guy prances like a deer an it doesn't look fast but he doesn't get caught in the open field. He's so elusively fast that it tricks the eyes. I bet at full speed he is up there with the other running backs. He ran away from Huff of the Raiders last year in the open field who is supposively a 4.3 guy. I think yesterday showed that Tate isn't even close to Arian.

Hervoyel
10-03-2011, 01:26 PM

You know, Arian has football speed. Guy prances like a deer an it doesn't look fast but he doesn't get caught in the open field. He's so elusively fast that it tricks the eyes. I bet at full speed he is up there with the other running backs. He ran away from Huff of the Raiders last year in the open field who is supposively a 4.3 guy. I think yesterday showed that Tate isn't even close to Arian.

Surprising number of "elite" running backs did it without elite speed. "Football speed" is different and Arian's got it.

silvrhand
10-03-2011, 01:29 PM

Sorry he's not there yet, there have been several undrafted free agents that have done well at RB. The NFL has recently changed in the last 10 years to stop drafting RB talent in the first round unless they are truely special and started to go with the 2-3 back systems.

ziggy29
10-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Surprising number of "elite" running backs did it without elite speed. "Football speed" is different and Arian's got it.

Yeah. The time on the 40 can only tell you so much -- it doesn't tell you about how fast you are while you're making cuts and changing direction. It doesn't tell you much about the back's ability to explode through a hole. You can run a 4.5 or 4.6 and still be a more effective "feature" back in the NFL than a 4.3 guy if you have the "football moves".

It's not unlike a guy throwing a 92 MPH fastball being more effective than someone throwing 100 MPH if the 92 MPH guy also has great location and offspeed pitches.

Ckw
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Names or it didn't happen.

silvrhand
10-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Yeah. The time on the 40 can only tell you so much -- it doesn't tell you about how fast you are while you're making cuts and changing direction. It doesn't tell you much about the back's ability to explode through a hole. You can run a 4.5 or 4.6 and still be a more effective "feature" back in the NFL than a 4.3 guy if you have the "football moves".

It's not unlike a guy throwing a 92 MPH fastball being more effective than someone throwing 100 MPH if the 92 MPH guy also has great location and offspeed pitches.

Remember Barry Sanders was too slow for the NFL.

infantrycak
10-03-2011, 01:49 PM
Remember Barry Sanders was too slow for the NFL.

Never heard that. Emmitt Smith on the other hand was called too small and too slow. But like Herv is talking about Emmitt had football moves. He moved exceptionally in small space making a shoulder tackle into an arm tackle. Then he had exceptional hand use and would deflect the arm tackle into no tackle and poof he was gone. Arian is considerably bigger but he has some of those skills and to me they are more important than straight line speed. And Arian is fine on that anyway. He made the cut on the TD run straight toward us and I turned to my wife and said "gone."

TexansForTheW
10-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Agh baseball reference that fits perfectly. Great post.

eriadoc
10-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Has there ever been a better UDFA RB in the modern era, say from the 60's on? I know Priest Holmes was damn good, but Foster is better imo, and its not even that close. Anyone else?

I agree with your overall point about Foster, but to paraphrase Winston Wolf, let's not go overboard here. Foster may very well end up ahead of Priest Holmes, but I think you're possibly forgetting how good Holmes was for a few years. Holmes put up one of the best 3-year stretches ever, where he was First Team All-Pro each year.

2001: 1555 RuYd 8 RuTD 4.8 YPC 62 rec 614 RecYd 2 RecTD
2002: 1615 RuYd 21 RuTD 5.2 YPC 70 rec 672 RecYd 3 RecTD
2003: 1420 RuYd 27 RuTD 4.4 YPC 74 rec 690 RecYd 0 RecTD

I'd sure like to see Foster get 27 rushing TDs this year, though.

JCTexan
10-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Not to diminish Foster's value at all but I was definitely wanting to see the Foster-Tate combo yesterday. I have a feeling this is going to be the most deadly 1-2 punch in the NFL once they're both healthy.

Texas T
10-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Foster
Tate
Ward

kinda makes it wiggle a little.

I like it-our RBs FTW!!