PDA

View Full Version : Round 7 comments

Lucky
04-24-2005, 03:25 PM
One more to go.

ojthecat
04-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Who is left at this point that could make the team?

Rosusu
04-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Shazor or Browner IMO

DRIFTAWAY
04-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Is Wilkerson gone?

ojthecat
04-24-2005, 03:31 PM
Well I have to give CC an "A+" for this years draft I am totally stoked with our picks :jam:

Danish Texan
04-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Shazor or Browner IMO

I agree - unless CC chooses some totally unknown player...

DRIFTAWAY
04-24-2005, 03:32 PM
what about Taylor Stubblefield

Bubbajwp
04-24-2005, 03:33 PM
I personaly like the draft and i like shazor in the seventh

TheRealJoker
04-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Shazor!!! Wilkerson!!!

The Preacher
04-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Tony Brown, Michael Munoz

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I am so confused as to what is going on with Shazor...

#1 S out of HS...All-American at Michigan...Finalist for Thorpe Award...

When he declared he was a second round lock and perhaps a late 1st rounder. I know he ran a slow 40 time....But what the heck is going on? Did he flip everyone off at the combine after his weigh in?

Rosusu
04-24-2005, 03:48 PM
on the clock....

ThaShark316
04-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Kenneth Pettway...OLB Grambling St.

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Who the heck is Kenneth Pettway? :thumbdown

TigerBait
haha, LB from Grambling State

Bubbajwp
not what i was looking forward to seeing

Vinny
Another tweener. We take one yearly.

Nawzer
What about a tight end? Has Bajema been picked?

Rosusu
never heard of him either....

TopTexanFan16
can anyone post any info on this guy?

DRIFTAWAY
04-24-2005, 03:50 PM
I saw a lb coming, we hadnt taken a lb yet and we thaught that is what our 1rst pick. CC Brown eliminated any shots of Shazor and that dude from Arizona State eliminated any shots of Wilkerson.

Nawzer
I've seen Pettway play on TV and he played really well. Made plays all over the field. I think he can develop into a good player but now it's special teams for him.

Vinny
Position: OLB
Class:
School: Grambling
Conference: SWAC
Ht., Wt.: 6-3, 236
40 Time: 4.79

Grading System

BIO: All-Conference selection who totaled 45/16/8.5 as a senior.

POSITIVES: Nice-sized defender best making plays up the field. Breaks down well, redirects to the ballcarrier and wraps up tackling. Displays a burst of closing speed and suddenness to his game. Fluid changing direction, displays good footwork moving laterally and immediately alters his angle of attack. Makes plays in any direction of the field. Lined up in a three-point stance last year and rushes the edge with speed.

NEGATIVES: Rarely used in space and does more chasing the action rather then diagnosing the play. Must do a better job protecting himself and become quicker disengaging from blocks.

ANALYSIS: A big athlete who forces the action on the field, Pettaway offers good upside at a variety of positions. Best suited at outside linebacker in a 34 defense, he could develop as a strong-side defender in a conventional system.

PROJECTION: Late Sixth Round

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/72010.html

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 03:51 PM
This guy better resemble Jesus if we picked him in the 7th from Grambling State over other players that were decent if not great players at big time schools.

bad
04-24-2005, 03:51 PM
ANALYSIS

Pettway is an underrated talent as a bit of a tweener. He might be too small to play defensive end on every down in the pros and still lacks the pass coverage skills to do likewise as a linebacker. He is a solid rush end who will probably be best served as a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 alignment or as a weakside outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment.

Despite size limitations on the line, he shows very good strength to stack and shed. He recognizes blocking schemes and reacts well to the inside run. He has enough natural power and leverage to stay under the blocker's pads and moves easily through trash to make plays on the outside.

Pettway is more of a drag-down tackler than a wrap-up type working in space, causing some of the slippery runners to escape. However, he is a solid hitter vs. plays in front of him and shows enough spin in his lateral movements to make plays outside the box.

Kenneth has exceptional acceleration working down the line and does a good job of colliding with the ballcarrier on contact. When he gets too high in his stance, he tends to pick a side rather than squaring up, making him an easy target to block. He showed marked improvement in 2004 in using his hands to shed instead of short arming a bit and letting blockers get into his chest too often. Pettway has good short area quickness and hand usage to mirror and reroute tight ends and backs.

While he gets adequate depth in his pass drops, he is a bit stiff changing direction and tends to backpedal on his heels. He has the ability to make plays in front of him, but when working in man coverage, Kenneth does not always react to the ball when it is thrown. He needs to refine his pass zone drops, but makes up for stiffness with good quickness.

Where he will perform at the next level depends upon what type of defense the team that drafts him is using. He could be a decent situational rush end in a 4-3 alignment or better served as a weakside linebacker in a 3-4 formation. Because of the level of competition he faced, Kenneth might not be drafted as high as his grade indicates, but there is no questioning his impressive athletic ability and potential.

INJURY REPORT

Injury report not available.

AGILITY

4.59 in the 40-yard dash 400-pound bench press Bench presses 225 pounds 26 times 550-pound squat 343-pound power clean 38-inch vertical jump 33 -inch arm length 9 7/8-inch hands.

TommyS
04-24-2005, 03:52 PM
from cbs sportsline

Pettway is an underrated talent as a bit of a tweener. He might be too small to play defensive end on every down in the pros and still lacks the pass coverage skills to do likewise as a linebacker. He is a solid rush end who will probably be best served as a situational pass rusher in a 4-3 alignment or as a weak-side outside linebacker in a 3-4 alignment.

Despite size limitations on the line, he shows very good strength to stack and shed. He recognizes blocking schemes and reacts well to the inside run. He has enough natural power and leverage to stay under the blocker's pads and moves easily through trash to make plays on the outside.

Pettway is more of a drag-down tackler than a wrap-up type working in space, causing some of the slippery runners to escape. However, he is a solid hitter vs. plays in front of him and shows enough spin in his lateral movements to make plays outside the box.

Kenneth has exceptional acceleration working down the line and does a good job of colliding with the ballcarrier on contact. When he gets too high in his stance, he tends to pick a side rather than squaring up, making him an easy target to block. He showed marked improvement in 2004 in using his hands to shed instead of short-arming a bit and letting blockers get into his chest too often. Pettway has good short area quickness and hand usage to mirror and reroute tight ends and backs.

While he gets adequate depth in his pass drops, he is a bit stiff changing direction and tends to backpedal on his heels. He has the ability to make plays in front of him, but when working in man coverage, Kenneth does not always react to the ball when it is thrown. He needs to refine his pass zone drops, but makes up for stiffness with good quickness.

Where he will perform at the next level depends upon what type of defense the team that drafts him is using. I feel that he could be a decent situational rush end in a 4-3 alignment or better served as a weak-side linebacker in a 3-4 formation. Because of the level of competition he faced, Kenneth might not be drafted as high as his grade indicates, but there is no questioning his impressive athletic ability and potential.

tiger06
04-24-2005, 03:52 PM
from nfldraftcountdown.com:

College: Grambling St. Height: 6-3
Position: Outside Linebacker Weight: 236
Class: Senior 40-Yard: 4.75

SCOUTING REPORT

Strengths: Has excellent size and a solid frame...Brings very good speed and athletic ablity to the table...Was very productive as a senior...Has some upside and could be a force on the blitz....Should be a workout warrior.

Weaknesses: Did not play against top competition on a weekly basis...Is more of a DE / OLB 'tweener who will need to be in the proper scheme to succeed...Doesn't look real comfortable in coverage.

Notes: Had a big senior campaign with his 8.5 sacks and 16 tackles for a loss really catching your attention...Level of competition is a concern but he has the physical tools and productivity you look for.

texasguy346
04-24-2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.gram.edu/sports/Images/KPettway9.jpg

Here he is.

hot pickle
04-24-2005, 03:56 PM
do you guys think that Brandon Browner will get drafted yet, or do you think he will be an undrafted FA?

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Lets hope the Texans get on the horn very quickly after the draft and grab Browner and Shazor if they arent drafted.

ojthecat
04-24-2005, 03:58 PM
I am very pleased with this pick. We cant have enough fast linebackers. We are getting better I think that we can really push the Colts for the Division this year. Thank you CC and DOM.

:pepper:

WildBlackBear32
04-24-2005, 04:01 PM
I really, really wish we would trade for a 7th and grab Shazor....perhaps an 06 6th or something...its disgusting how he's still on the board.

hot pickle
04-24-2005, 04:02 PM
I think browner will be like randell gay, and in a couple years he will be a decent corner.

Grid
04-24-2005, 04:05 PM
Word is that shazor was deemed too slow to play saftey, and too small to play LB.. and he wasnt athletic enough to take a chance on, hence is fall.

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Spending a 7th round pick on an All-American and finalist for the Thorpe Award is taking that big a chance? The guy is 6'5 with a decent frame and already over 200 pounds. I dont see any reason why he cant put on some weight and play LB. Heck...At the least the guys would be a monster on special teams. He was even a gunner for Michigan sometimes...Hows that for too slow?

Alex
04-24-2005, 04:09 PM
The 5 best players still available:

1. Brandon Browner CB/FS Oregon State

2. Ernest Shazor SS/LB Michigan

3. Michael Munoz OT Tennessee

4. Ben Wilkerson C LSU

5. Steve Savoy WR Utah

If the Texans can sign at least one of these guys as Undrafted Free Agent, it would be great.

WildBlackBear32
04-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Word is that shazor was deemed too slow to play saftey, and too small to play LB.. and he wasnt athletic enough to take a chance on, hence is fall.

You dont go from Thorpe Finalist, All-Conference and concenus All-American to being undrafted because you dont run well in shorts. There HAS to be something else to it.

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 04:13 PM
And thats what I dont get. He has never had "character issues." I am totally baffled as to what has led to his demise in the NFL draft from a possible first round pick to not even being mentioned on the draft show.

texasguy346
04-24-2005, 04:15 PM
http://img141.echo.cx/img141/1479/ken3nn.jpg

Kenneth Pettway

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 04:18 PM
Who is Hamza Abdullah and how is he a better pick than Ernest Shazor? You'd think Shazor was actually drafted and the show completely forgot to mention him way back in the 2nd round or something. I cant believe hes not even being mentioned on the draft show. Jason White is being talked about and Shazor isnt...Madness I say, MADNESS!!!! :shocked

TigerBait
04-24-2005, 04:22 PM
if White does not get drafted he will challenge the age limitation on NCAA football. He could play until 40 in college football, how wonderful..

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 04:24 PM
Some guy on the Michigan Football board checked out all he mock drafts he could and in none of them could he find Shazor going lower than 3rd round.... :hmmm:

Marcus
04-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Some guy on the Michigan Football board checked out all he mock drafts he could and in none of them could he find Shazor going lower than 3rd round.... :hmmm:

Well, since you're obviously from Michigan, and Shazor is from Michigan, and the people that you've been listening to are all from Michigan, maybe what you've been hearing is what you've been wanting to hear.

The word I get is that . . .he is too tall and slow to play safety at the next level . . .and doesn't have the weight to play linebacker at the next level. He had his chance to impress the scouts at the combine . . . and didn't. His 40 times were very bad. You need at least a 4.6 40 time to even be considered for safety, and he ran a high 4.8 :thumbdown

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 04:40 PM
Well....Considering I am from Houston you are wrong on that point...

Secondly...I dont think every mock draft done on ESPN, CBSSportsline, Sports Illustrated, and many other sources are done by people who live in Michigan.

Marcus
04-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Well....Considering I am from Houston you are wrong on that point....

Well, given that your name is TexanWolverine, I can sense a little bias lurking somewhere in the room. lol:

DRIFTAWAY
04-24-2005, 04:47 PM
What about Kay-Jay Harris.. He's still out there

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Well, given that your name is TexanWolverine, I can sense a little bias lurking somewhere in the room. lol:

Yes...I've been a Michigan fan my whole life. Sure I have a bias but once a guy enters the league and hes not on my team I dont really care. My interest comes from the fact that I think Shazor is an athletic freak and did nothing to disprove his playing ability at Michigan. I dont see how running a slow 40 would keep a guy of his ability and track record from being at least a 6th or 7th round pick. Do you really think a slow 40 time sent him from a second round pick to not being drafted?

Marcus
04-24-2005, 05:05 PM
Do you really think a slow 40 time sent him from a second round pick to not being drafted?

Ummm. . . yes.

Considering that (repeating myself here) that he's not fast enough to play safety, and too small to play linebacker in the pros . . the poor combine didn't help. Some team will pick him up as an undrafted free agent . . . his only chance will be to impress the coaches as a special teams player. if he doesn't, then I hope he got a good education at Michigan

bpergrem3
04-24-2005, 05:06 PM
32 teams passed on him.

I guess it does.

TexanWolverine
04-24-2005, 05:08 PM
31 teams also passed on Tom Brady....repeatedly...

Brady must have run a slow 40....

:thumbdown

WildBlackBear32
04-24-2005, 05:12 PM
31 teams also passed on Tom Brady....repeatedly...

Brady must have run a slow 40....

:thumbdown

Some guy named Warner as well.

bpergrem3
04-24-2005, 05:23 PM
maybe there's hope for him then.

bpergrem3
04-24-2005, 05:23 PM
he's better off now anyway. he can choose who he wants to play for.

nickderiso
04-24-2005, 11:03 PM
I say Pettway makes your team. He's a tireless worker, has a get-bigger frame and a great sensibility.

Surprised so few recognize him. Pettway attended Gilmer High School, playing football for coach Mike Mullins. He also lettered in basketball, baseball and track.

GRAMBLING A sudden resurgence in the use of the once-popular 3-4 defensive alignment could be the best thing Kenneth Pettway has going for him in this year's NFL Draft.

The Grambling State defender, commonly called a "'tweener," has the kind of size and speed to fit in that scheme which values smaller, athletic linebackers.

"A lot of teams are switching to the 3-4 defense, which would enable me to stand up and play linebacker but also pass rush," said Pettway, who began playing outside linebacker as well as defensive end during his junior season. "A year or two ago, there weren't that many who used it, but now there are about 10. The market's really open."

The NFL Draft, held Saturday and Sunday, will be broadcast on ESPN and ESPN2.

Pettway's stock has been rising with draft prognosticators, who originally projected him as a late-second day selection. A renewed interest in the 3-4 could be the reason.

"There are more teams out there using the 3-4, and that's the good thing about it," said Tampa Bay personnel executive Doug Williams, who coached Pettway for a season before taking the NFL job. "He should get an opportunity with one of those teams."
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050422/SPORTS/504220331/1006