PDA

View Full Version : Former Titans assistant Heimerdinger dies at 58

Wolf
10-01-2011, 11:15 AM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Mike Heimerdinger, a veteran assistant in the NFL who coached players including Steve McNair and Vince Young(notes), has died. He was 58.

The Tennessee Titans confirmed Heimerdinger’s death after talking with his family. He died Friday while in Mexico to receive experimental cancer treatments. He was offensive coordinator for the Titans when he was diagnosed with cancer in November 2010.

“Mike approached cancer with the same vigor and tenacity that he approached any football game—to win,” Heimerdinger’s wife, Kathie, said in a statement. “Even in the final minutes he never gave up—that was our Dinger. He was a deeply devoted husband and father, loving son and brother, loyal friend and committed coach who loved the game and life.”

Heimderdinger began chemotherapy treatment five days after the diagnosis last year. At the time, coach Jeff Fisher said Heimerdinger had been very sick for three weeks.

Heimerdinger made a trip to Houston with the team for that Sunday’s game and was greeted on the field before the game by his son, an intern with the Houston Texans at the time.

He maintained his duties for the rest of the season but was fired in February, one day after Mike Munchak succeeded Fisher as Titans’ coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-obit-heimerdinger
R.I.P.

Honoring Earl 34
10-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Rest in peace Mike Heimerdinger .

toronto
10-01-2011, 01:30 PM
RIP Dinger. Cancer is a mother****er. :( :vincepalm:

Playoffs
10-01-2011, 01:38 PM
May he rest in Peace.

Thoughts and prayers out to his family/friends.

texanhead08
10-01-2011, 01:40 PM
RIP to Coach Heimerdinger....cancer sucks.

jaayteetx
10-01-2011, 03:52 PM
Sad...RIP coach.

jaayteetx
10-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Wasn't his son an assistant or a intern or something like that with the Texans?

Nevermind...just read the whole story.

z_man57
10-02-2011, 11:16 AM
R.I.P. Dinger...

Thanks for the memories.

Line_Producer
10-03-2011, 07:01 PM
I met his son a few months ago at my restaurant here in Denver. We got to chat about his pops and the Texans for a bit. It's truly a great loss, both of a father and a great football mind. My condolences to the whole family.

Brian, keep working hard, I know you'll be just as knowledgable as your father.

-wil [pho pasta]

srrono
10-04-2011, 03:33 PM
R.I.P. Heimerdinger