PDA

View Full Version : Best team in the AFC

thunderkyss
09-30-2011, 01:36 PM
This guy Jim, from JimWins.com said something to the affect that he thinks the Texans could possibly be the best team in the AFC by the end of the year.

This is on 790, any body else heard that ? Or am I dreaming?

Allstar
09-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Honestly, I'd still pick New England to win any AFC match up when it matters.

redwhiteANDblue
09-30-2011, 01:48 PM
With foster back some of those field goals are touchdowns. I don't care what anyone says but foster is the only one that can run this system to perfection. He sees the hole and is the only reason we were top 5 in the redzone last year. We could've easily won the saints game with foster no doubt. Our defense is above average, offense that controls time of possesion and can also be explosive and efficient. Not to crazy to say we could be top 5 in afc

badboy
09-30-2011, 02:16 PM
AT 15-1 or 14-2, Texans should have that honor. I'm thinking Wade cobbles together enough defense every week to help win each game and even if there is a week game (like against Steelers) offense will bring home the victory.

Joeycharp89
09-30-2011, 02:22 PM
I'll wait till they take the championship.

Mr teX
09-30-2011, 02:35 PM

pretty much.....u aint shit until you've done it....& the texans definitely aint done it.

Dutchrudder
09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Well if a respectable guy like Jim from JimWins.com says it, it must be true!!!

Corrosion
09-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Every team in the NFL has some warts ..... In the AFC , I think the Pats , Ravens , Bills (wow) , Chargers and Texans are the top five in no specific order.

NFL.com writer Elliot Harrison has the Texans at #4 overall and the top team in the AFC.
Of the nine "Experts" who post lists weekly , only Pat Kirwan has the Texans outside of the top 10 (#11).

Here's a link to all 9 lists (http://fanrankings.nfl.com/results/experts)

Ole Miss Texan
09-30-2011, 03:19 PM
I know we've never done much before and we're inexperienced in winning 'big games' but honestly I think the AFC is VERY weak this year. Working at it backwards, there's not a lot of teams that I would say are easily better than the Texans.

AFC South - Colts (No), Jags (No), Titans (No)
AFC West - Raiders (No), Chiefs (No), Broncos (No), Chargers (Push?)
AFC North - Ravens (Maybe), Steelers (Maybe), Browns (No), Bengals (No)
AFC East - Dolphins (No), Bills (WTF!!??), Jets (Maybe?), Patriots (YES)

There's some teams like the Jets, Steelers and Ravens that were thought of to be real contenders but they really aren't looking GREAT so far this season. The Bills are doing something good right now. I'd put the Patriots as the best. Chargers? Who knows.

There's still a lot of season to be played, but the AFC looks weak this year through the first 3 games.

Hookem Horns
09-30-2011, 03:23 PM
This guy Jim, from JimWins.com said something to the affect that he thinks the Texans could possibly be the best team in the AFC by the end of the year.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/maxwell_smart__confused.gif

Why don't we win more than 8 games in a season before someone saying this could be the best team in the AFC.

Dutchrudder
09-30-2011, 03:30 PM
I know we've never done much before and we're inexperienced in winning 'big games' but honestly I think the AFC is VERY weak this year. Working at it backwards, there's not a lot of teams that I would say are easily better than the Texans.

AFC South - Colts (No), Jags (No), Titans (No)
AFC West - Raiders (No), Chiefs (No), Broncos (No), Chargers (Push?)
AFC North - Ravens (Maybe), Steelers (Maybe), Browns (No), Bengals (No)
AFC East - Dolphins (No), Bills (WTF!!??), Jets (Maybe?), Patriots (YES)

There's some teams like the Jets, Steelers and Ravens that were thought of to be real contenders but they really aren't looking GREAT so far this season. The Bills are doing something good right now. I'd put the Patriots as the best. Chargers? Who knows.

There's still a lot of season to be played, but the AFC looks weak this year through the first 3 games.

I think the Raiders are the best team in the AFC West. Moreso than the Chargers. Ravens are probably better than the Texans, we'll find out in three weeks. Bills and Patriots are better than the Texans right now, or at least appear that way. I think we could take the Jets or at least make it an even game.

thunderkyss
09-30-2011, 03:35 PM

He mentioned New England & their current worse in the league pass defense.. He also mentioned a few obstacles he didn't think they would be able to overcome.

I'll wait till they take the championship.

That's fine. I'm not saying I believe it, I wouldn't have even thought it was a possibility. But this guy (whoever he is, I was hoping one of you would know) hangs his hat on being able to evaluate NFL teams... like some of us believe we are better capable than Bob McNair, Gary Kubiak, & Rick Smith collectively, to evaluate talent & the play on the field.

Anyway, just an opinion I thought I'd share & ask if anyone here even thought of such a thing..

On a side note, they were also talking about how weak the AFC is this year.

thunderkyss
09-30-2011, 03:37 PM
Well if a respectable guy like Jim from JimWins.com says it, it must be true!!!

Like I said, he said it was a possibility.

I was just wondering if anyone here thought it was a possibility, not if they thought it were the case.

Every team in the NFL has some warts ..... In the AFC , I think the Pats , Ravens , Bills (wow) , Chargers and Texans are the top five in no specific order.

NFL.com writer Elliot Harrison has the Texans at #4 overall and the top team in the AFC.
Of the nine "Experts" who post lists weekly , only Pat Kirwan has the Texans outside of the top 10 (#11).

Here's a link to all 9 lists (http://fanrankings.nfl.com/results/experts)

Good stuff, I didn't even think of the Texans as a top anything right now.

Interesting.... really.

Corrosion
09-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Like I said, he said it was a possibility.

I was just wondering if anyone here thought it was a possibility, not if they thought it were the case.

Good stuff, I didn't even think of the Texans as a top anything right now.

Interesting.... really.

They played a hell of a game on the road .... Some of the plays Brees made were .... just un-defendable. There were things they could have done better .... but when the Aints needed a play , Brees found a way to make something out of nothing several times. Tip your hat to Brees and the Aints.

DocBar
10-01-2011, 08:05 AM

Here's a link to all 9 lists (http://fanrankings.nfl.com/results/experts)Joe Theisman also has them at #11. These rankings are fun and all, but count me in the "hide and watch" or "show me the money" camp. Been burned too many times to get too excited this early in the year.

thunderkyss
10-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Joe Theisman also has them at #11. These rankings are fun and all, but count me in the "hide and watch" or "show me the money" camp. Been burned too many times to get too excited this early in the year.

These rankings are more about who is playing the best football right now. Goofy coaching mistakes don't matter.... in fact, if you think we have a goofy coach problem, a high power rank will reflect as much. But overall, the teams that are looking good & doing well gravitate to the top of the list. They're the teams playing the best football right now.

We analyze the Texans under a micro-scope. 1 red zone issue to us means it's the end of the season & we'll never win anything. But the other teams have problems moving the ball at all. We don't usually factor in how other teams are playing. Matt Schaub completing only 66% of his passes.... "OMG, he sucks, he'll never take us to the championship, we can't win with Matt!" never mind that 66% is better than the QB they would rather have...

Defensively, we've been playing solid for two games & three qtrs..... We kept one of the best offenses in football out of the end zone (much less the red zone) for three Qtrs. Other teams are having trouble putting two good defensive qtrs together back to back.

Power rankings are useful & have their purpose. It's only when people take those rankings out of context that they seem worthless.

DocBar
10-01-2011, 10:09 AM
These rankings are more about who is playing the best football right now. Goofy coaching mistakes don't matter.... in fact, if you think we have a goofy coach problem, a high power rank will reflect as much. But overall, the teams that are looking good & doing well gravitate to the top of the list. They're the teams playing the best football right now.

We analyze the Texans under a micro-scope. 1 red zone issue to us means it's the end of the season & we'll never win anything. But the other teams have problems moving the ball at all. We don't usually factor in how other teams are playing. Matt Schaub completing only 66% of his passes.... "OMG, he sucks, he'll never take us to the championship, we can't win with Matt!" never mind that 66% is better than the QB they would rather have...

Defensively, we've been playing solid for two games & three qtrs..... We kept one of the best offenses in football out of the end zone (much less the red zone) for three Qtrs. Other teams are having trouble putting two good defensive qtrs together back to back.

Power rankings are useful & have their purpose. It's only when people take those rankings out of context that they seem worthless.I enjoy checking out the power rankings, and it's nice to see the Texans consensus top 10-ish. I just don't put a lot of stock in them.

rush2112mn
10-01-2011, 10:21 AM

Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch......
Show ....dont tell........
Talk is CHEAP.....
Fool me once.......
Life is like a box of chocolates.....
:bored::wheel::twocents:

thunderkyss
10-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Talk about counting your chickens before they hatch......
Show ....dont tell........
Talk is CHEAP.....
Fool me once.......
Life is like a box of chocolates.....
:bored::wheel::twocents:

So you think it is definitely within the possibility of this team in it's current configuration to be the Best Team in the AFC?

Best WR, Best RB, top 10 (5?) QB.... why not? All we need is a decent to good defense & we've got Wade with a whole bunch of early draft picks.

Surely that is why Texans' fans are so upset We see all the right moves being made, all the right things, and somehow we see it falter for some of the dumbest reasons imaginable. The smallest accomplishments seem to be out of our reach.

Maybe that's why we think our little 6-10 team should spank last year's AFC Champs.

texanhead08
10-01-2011, 12:26 PM
AT 15-1 or 14-2, Texans should have that honor. I'm thinking Wade cobbles together enough defense every week to help win each game and even if there is a week game (like against Steelers) offense will bring home the victory.

I want the Texans to be that team in the worst way but I don't want to hear coulda shoulda's I want to see results. Lets just take things one game at a time.

Rey
10-01-2011, 12:29 PM
I think it's entirely possible that we could win the AFC championship game and possible even the superbowl.

Mostly because this is life and most anything is possible....

But there have been teams with big questions marks but good talent to play in superbowls. The Giants beat the Patriots when they were going for 19-0. The Cardinals made it to and played a hell of a superbowl game. The Packers were not considered as frontrunners for the title, and then with all the injuries they had they still made it...

David has conquered Goliath many times throughout the history of the NFL.

Only thing is, I think that the Texans against some of the top teams in the league are a lot more evenly matched the David and Goliath.

So if you are asking if it's possible...I'd say yes...If you ask if it's likely I'd say No and really that's just based on past history and this teams inablity to show they have the focus to make plays when it counts..

ObsiWan
10-01-2011, 09:44 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GoN5EPxM4Y8/TJ18XGm2GZI/AAAAAAAAAoE/pqqp4KPZ-BM/s1600/The-Caterpillar-Character-Art-by-Alice-In-Wonderland-Character-Designer-Michael-Kutsche-alice-in-wonderland-2010-10708238-975-1200.jpg
Dreaming? I dunno.... Maybe.
I do know this; the Worm from Alice in Wonderland called and left a message for you.
He wants his pipe back....

:hides:

Norg
10-01-2011, 10:58 PM
well the steelers are the AFC champs they beat the Ravens and the Jets when it matterd teh most

so ill go with them so to be the best we got to beat the best Da steelers