PDA

View Full Version : Houston's biggest offseason mistake

Brisco_County
09-30-2011, 01:23 PM
We could've gotten this guy for cheap. The acquisition would've gone beyond simply addressing position needs, and the contract would've been low risk for the front office.

I really don't get it. Some guys have very real character issues, and some were just people who needed a reason to grow up. Plaxico is a guy who found his reason, and a simple interview would've made it obvious.

But we went with vetting UDFA's who wouldn't be productive for two years at best.

Plaxico Burress has shown very little rust in his first three NFL games since 2008, and has already become a reliable target for Mark Sanchez in both the red zone and the middle of the field. But one area of his game that has taken some people by surprise is his role as a blocker downfield, where he has thrown some key blocks to help spring LaDanian Tomlinson and other Jets ball carriers for additional yardage.

Link (http://thefanhub.com/posts/detail/124196/Plaxico-Burress-is-blowing-people-up-on-blocks)

Yeah, many other teams passed too, but we understood our own needs enough to where this should have been obvious.

And screw the Jets.

BigBull17
09-30-2011, 01:24 PM
We could've gotten this guy for cheap. The acquisition would've gone beyond simply addressing position needs, and the contract would've been low risk for the front office.

I really don't get it. Some guys have very real character issues, and some were just people who needed a reason to grow up. Plaxico is a guy who found his reason, and a simple interview would've made it obvious.

But we went with vetting UDFA's who wouldn't be productive for two years at best.

Link (http://thefanhub.com/posts/detail/124196/Plaxico-Burress-is-blowing-people-up-on-blocks)

Yeah, many other teams passed too, but we understood our own needs enough to where this should have been obvious.

And screw the Jets.

He wouldn't even workout for teams. Was a risk and I'm not mad they didn't sign him.

Brisco_County
09-30-2011, 01:26 PM
He wouldn't even workout for teams. Was a risk and I'm not mad they didn't sign him.

He expressed unsolicited interest in the Texans.

sandman
09-30-2011, 01:29 PM
He expressed unsolicited interest in the Texans.

He expressed unsolicited interest in signing a contract and thought the Texans to be one of the paths of least resistance. It had nothing to do with wanting to play for Kubes or alongside AJ or anything else.

Naiirb
09-30-2011, 01:29 PM

I think he would of definitely taken the Texans serious if they showed interest. I remember him being on NFL Network and when asked about possibly playing in Houston his eyes lit up talking about playing in this offense and lining up across AJ.

Ole Miss Texan
09-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Our biggest offseason mistake was not signing Plax? Not sure about that. We don't even know if we could have signed him or if we were interested, how much it would take.

Aaron Schobel said he wanted to play here too....

Texan_Bill
09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Biggest offseason mistake?

:thinking:

Letting Nolan Ryan go to the Rangers?

badboy
09-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Never been a fan of Plaxico and no reason. I rthink biggest failure was not trading for Asante Samuel to give DBs solid vets and allow younger guys to develop.

Brisco_County
09-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Never been a fan of Plaxico and no reason. I rthink biggest failure was not trading for Asante Samuel to give DBs solid vets and allow younger guys to develop.

What would we have traded?

I concede.

badboy
09-30-2011, 01:56 PM
What would we have traded?

I concede.Reportedly, Eagles let it be known they wanted a 2nd round next two drafts. I'd jump on that. Not only would that push us deepr into playoffs but would radically impact our next draft imo. Now if one of our younger guys step up and take over CB2 we will be in even better shap & that is probably mind set of Kubes & Phillips. I hope they are correct.

HOU-TEX
09-30-2011, 02:01 PM

Signed,

The firing of Bum and Earl

Texan_Bill
09-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Signed,

The firing of Bum and Earl

I thought about Bum, but for some reason I thought I couldn't remember if he was fired during season or not.

TimeKiller
09-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Easily, resigning JJ is a bigger mistake than not signing Plaxico Burress. Or resigning David Anderson when clearly anybody can be as effective as him.

ChampionTexan
09-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Not that I had a problem with the idea of Plaxico coming here, but if this is the Texans biggest off season mistake, I can live with that.

BattleRedToro
09-30-2011, 04:21 PM
I agree he was low risk. I think he could have been a real fan favorite in Texas. He got in trouble over guns and most Texans like guns.

GP
09-30-2011, 04:36 PM
My problem with the guy is how he threw Coughlin under the bus just a few weeks ago. Plaxico is just out of jail and he wants to throw barbs at Coughlin?

I lump those sorts of people all together in my "**** Head" bucket. You stir up the bucket, pour it out and you've got a bunch of **** mixed together. I'll add David Carr, Dunta Robinson (who ironically threw David Carr under the bus), and others like them who can't wait to run to the media and cry about how mistreated they were with their former team(s).

That's a sign that the guy will fold like a lawn chair and duck and run for cover when the heat is too hot in the kitchen. It's always "somebody else's fault" as to why they couldn't succeed somewhere. I suppose Vernon Gholston is in that same boat, if we get right down to it.

Brisco_County
09-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Agreed that he didn't act classy when airing the dirty laundry, but that doesn't negate the upside. And if the guy has reliability issues, he went all the way to the Superbowl before they surfaced.

It all comes down to how badly we want to win. If we want it, we would've paid the marginally low contract and risked the possibility of a little BS for a #2 WR who's 6'5, around 225lbs, can block, and run routes.

Yeah, it was our biggest offseason mistake.

leebigeztx
09-30-2011, 05:20 PM
To me, I think of 2 guys that could've made this team a sb contender, abreya franklin and randy moss/ braylon edwards. This isn't anything new with me because I see real limitations into what they do both offensively and defensively. Franklin is the nt with quickness who can also stop the run. He's much beeter in every facet in comparison to cody and mithcell. Neither of those guys have even been average this season. Offensively, the texans have johnson and a bunch of solid guys. If they get into the playoffs, teams will double dre and make someone else beat them. We know the run game is strong, but if they moss or edwards, now you could never add a 8 guy in the box or roll to aj.

thunderkyss
09-30-2011, 05:36 PM

And screw the Jets.

Man I love to play the woulda coulda shoulda game.

But first, this team hasn't really made any indication that getting another WR was anywhere near a top priority. I know as fans, once we hear that "Player X" is available, we immediately think, "What would be the best case scenario if we had this guy on our team?"

But obviously the FO doesn't think that way. I don't know why, you'd think with the defense heavy drafts we've had, any opportunity you get for a blue chip at a discount you'd take a looksee....

Secondly, Remember what happened when Rick Smith went after Nnamdi? Rick Smith got bigDkd by the Jets wallet book & apparently vowed never to tread in the deep end of the pool again.

jaayteetx
09-30-2011, 05:46 PM

But first, this team hasn't really made any indication that getting another WR was anywhere near a top priority. I know as fans, once we hear that "Player X" is available, we immediately think, "What would be the best case scenario if we had this guy on our team?"

But obviously the FO doesn't think that way. I don't know why, you'd think with the defense heavy drafts we've had, any opportunity you get for a blue chip at a discount you'd take a looksee....

Secondly, Remember what happened when Rick Smith went after Nnamdi? Rick Smith got bigDkd by the Jets wallet book & apparently vowed never to tread in the deep end of the pool again.

Thats not exactly true, first Nnamdi signed with the Eagles not the Jets and Rick learned his lesson from the previous year when Bodden was playing us for more money, thats why he went after Joseph.

thunderkyss
09-30-2011, 05:58 PM
[/B]

Thats not exactly true, first Nnamdi signed with the Eagles not the Jets and Rick learned his lesson from the previous year when Bodden was playing us for more money, thats why he went after Joseph.

So then why were we & the Jets negotiating for Nnamdi at the same time?

We got out of it before the Eagles were even part of the picture.

Hervoyel
09-30-2011, 07:17 PM
My problem with the guy is how he threw Coughlin under the bus just a few weeks ago. Plaxico is just out of jail and he wants to throw barbs at Coughlin?

I lump those sorts of people all together in my "**** Head" bucket. You stir up the bucket, pour it out and you've got a bunch of **** mixed together. I'll add David Carr, Dunta Robinson (who ironically threw David Carr under the bus), and others like them who can't wait to run to the media and cry about how mistreated they were with their former team(s).

That's a sign that the guy will fold like a lawn chair and duck and run for cover when the heat is too hot in the kitchen. It's always "somebody else's fault" as to why they couldn't succeed somewhere. I suppose Vernon Gholston is in that same boat, if we get right down to it.

I get what you're saying but Coughlin doesn't exactly get a lot of love from all his players and he's been thrown under the bus before more than once. There's a reason why certain players feel nothing for him. Conceded that Paxico didn't have any high ground at that particular moment from which to point his finger and the entire situation was stupid. He should have moved on and if he truly had a beef with Coughlin he should have saved it for the book at the end of his career. If a shot simply had to be fired that was not the time to do it (npi).

Plaxico has had success. He's been successful in Pittsburgh and in New York. I believe he caught a game winning TD in the Super Bowl to secure the win over a previously undefeated team. Folding like a lawn chair isn't on his resume anywhere that I can see. The guy is a proven commodity.

He did something deeply stupid in a place where that sort of offense is treated seriously. He did his time and was ready to come back to work. He clearly has picked up where he left off.

I think he'd easily be the second best receiver on this team and would have been a lot closer to the #1 guy than the #3 guy on our depth chart.

We just don't take chances on guys we can have cheap who can help us. We don't sign Ced Benson whose contribution could have likely pushed our 9-7 season into a 10-6 and possible playoff appearance. We don't sign Paxico who could give us a legitimate threat opposite AJ. It's not our style.

steelbtexan
09-30-2011, 07:26 PM
A vet WR and CB should've been signed this offseason.

Nobody that would've broken the bank.

CB's Eric Wright (playing well for Detroit) or Al Harris. KJ needs to be a 4/5 CB on a good team.

WR's Syeve Breaston would be the best WR2 that the Texans have ever had opposite AJ. IMHO This makes me sad. LOL

steelbtexan
09-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Not firing Gary and Rick.

DocBar
09-30-2011, 07:40 PM
I thought about Bum, but for some reason I thought I couldn't remember if he was fired during season or not.Rumor has it that Bud lost Bum and Earl in a poker game after the season.
As for Plax, hindsight sees 20/20, but it's week 4 and still kinda fuzzy.

steelbtexan
09-30-2011, 07:48 PM
I get what you're saying but Coughlin doesn't exactly get a lot of love from all his players and he's been thrown under the bus before more than once. There's a reason why certain players feel nothing for him. Conceded that Paxico didn't have any high ground at that particular moment from which to point his finger and the entire situation was stupid. He should have moved on and if he truly had a beef with Coughlin he should have saved it for the book at the end of his career. If a shot simply had to be fired that was not the time to do it (npi).

Plaxico has had success. He's been successful in Pittsburgh and in New York. I believe he caught a game winning TD in the Super Bowl to secure the win over a previously undefeated team. Folding like a lawn chair isn't on his resume anywhere that I can see. The guy is a proven commodity.

He did something deeply stupid in a place where that sort of offense is treated seriously. He did his time and was ready to come back to work. He clearly has picked up where he left off.

I think he'd easily be the second best receiver on this team and would have been a lot closer to the #1 guy than the #3 guy on our depth chart.

We just don't take chances on guys we can have cheap who can help us. We don't sign Ced Benson whose contribution could have likely pushed our 9-7 season into a 10-6 and possible playoff appearance. We don't sign Paxico who could give us a legitimate threat opposite AJ. It's not our style.

^^^^
This is a main reason why the Texans are stuck in mediocrity. They wont take chances on a guy like Plax. (You and I both called for his signing this offseason. If my memory isn't failing.) But they will spend 3.5 mil garanteed and 10 mil over 3 yrs for JJ.

JJ could only hope and pray that his career turns out as good as Plax has up until this point.

BTW, it was really nice meeting you this weekend.

Brisco_County
09-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Shoulda woulda and 20/20 whatever don't factor into what I knew in May: That Plaxico Buress is 6'5", 225, earned his Superbowl ring, and wasn't asking for much.

A guy with his ability doesn't ever come cheap, especially when you need him, yet he was there at the right price.

CloakNNNdagger
09-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Recognizing the importance of a 2-gap NT..........and the fact that athleticism can exist out there simultaneously in some fat boy in the middle.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WAIyd-SgW9A/S56bPYEiyHI/AAAAAAAAEWA/6szQndA2EDM/s320/fat+man+jumping+off+diving+board%5B1%5D.jpg

fiasco west
10-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Recognizing the importance of a 2-gap NT..........and the fact that athleticism can exist out there simultaneously in some fat boy in the middle.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_WAIyd-SgW9A/S56bPYEiyHI/AAAAAAAAEWA/6szQndA2EDM/s320/fat+man+jumping+off+diving+board%5B1%5D.jpg

This.

Texans always have to learn the hard way though....

SAMURAITEXAN
10-01-2011, 10:20 PM
It is more of wish than mistake IMO. He would been very nice #2 WR for us.

Go Texans!!!

Texaninlild
10-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Uh no

Texan_Bill
10-01-2011, 11:31 PM
I mentioned Nolan Ryan.... HOU-TEX mentioned Bum / Earl!!!!

I'm also thinking above and beyond that, :thinking: Lance Berkman and Michael Bourn for virtually nothing!!

Texan_Bill
10-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Not firing Gary and Rick.

Because yeah, that would've been a smart move during a lock-out!! :rolleyes:

Come' on man, You're better than that!!

GP
10-02-2011, 01:58 AM

Tiki Barber is another Coughlin basher who ranks up there with Plaxico, IMO. I just don't like it when a heavily-paid NFL player feels the need to saddle his former team or his former coach in those ways.

It speaks of the player's character. And that's a red flag that gets raised, for me, when we want to consider bringing a guy like Plaxico (who shares a special room with Tiki Barber when it comes to this topic).

All the talent in the world is worth nothing if we know the player is a rat in real life. He'll just fail in New York and when he crashes and burns, he already has his story ready for the press. He'll have his reasons as to why things fell apart.

beerlover
10-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Hard for me to complain much about this offseason. however so far the biggest mistake has been inability of Texans to score in the red zone & finish games strong in the 4th quarter. So probably their biggest mistake has been conditioning/handling players injury's. Arian Foster in particular & not able to finish strong, play complete games. :jogger:

thunderkyss
10-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Because yeah, that would've been a smart move during a lock-out!! :rolleyes:

Come' on man, You're better than that!!

Well.... if you think about it.

Our defense looks to be ahead of schedule, the revamp doesn't appear to have hurt much.

San Francisco doesn't appear to be suffering any ill effects of getting a new coach

Carolina may be experiencing some difficulty, but they also had a new QB to throw in the mix.

Coach Garrett out to a 2-1 start in Big-D

Munchack in Tennessee also at 2-1 with at least one impressive win

Maybe it wasn't as bad as we thought.

hradhak
10-02-2011, 08:57 AM
I agree with all that Plaxico would have been a low risk acquisition. And I did see the NFLN interview where he stated he would have loved to play with Texans. If he brought a loaded gun and shot himself with it in a club in Houston, he would have only gotten a slap on the wrist after all.

Plaxico's been a #1 WR for all the teams he's played for and he certainly has the talent set, but I don't think our FO takes any risks when it comes to player's characters so I never even considered it as a possibility

CloakNNNdagger
10-02-2011, 09:34 AM
I agree with all that Plaxico would have been a low risk acquisition. And I did see the NFLN interview where he stated he would have loved to play with Texans. If he brought a loaded gun and shot himself with it in a club in Houston, he would have only gotten a slap on the wrist after all.

Plaxico's been a #1 WR for all the teams he's played for and he certainly has the talent set, but I don't think our FO takes any risks when it comes to player's characters so I never even considered it as a possibility

...........and I get the feeling that the Texans are afraid of getting a WR that could be considered a competing #1. G-d forbid you would offend AJ or chance upsetting the chemistry of the team with TWO #1 receivers........

ObsiWan
10-02-2011, 09:57 AM
What's the point of having two deep threats when we have a QB that makes the one deep threat we got have to stop and wait on the ball?
:hides:

Honoring Earl 34
10-02-2011, 10:01 AM
What's the point of having two deep threats when we have a QB that makes the one deep threat we got have to stop and wait on the ball?
:hides:

Duh ... one can be the cut off man . :kubepalm:

I would say that in recent history it would be letting Jerry Hunsicker go .