PDA

View Full Version : Free Texans’ Metrorail rides

CloakNNNdagger
09-30-2011, 10:15 AM
Wanted to post this for anyone that may wish to take advantage of it.
If MODS wish to move this thread feel free.....just wanted to give it high exposure now.

Reliant on track for free Texans’ Metrorail rides
Houston Business Journal
Date: Friday, September 30, 2011, 6:32am CDT

Metrorail will adorn one of its trains with a special Houston Texans "Bring the Energy" design for the trips to Reliant Stadium.
Click here to find out more!

Reliant Energy said Thursday it will sponsor free Metrorail rides to and from Reliant Stadium on Houston Texans gamedays.

The free service on game day will run from 5:30 a.m. to midnight, starting with the game against Pittsburgh Steelers Oct. 2. The game starts at 12 noon.

”Reliant helped bring the NFL back to Houston and offering Metrorail rides is another way to show our support for fans and the home team,” said Manny Rodriguez, Reliant vice president, in a statement.

To help promote the program, one Metrorail train will sport a custom graphic wrap with Reliant’s 2011-2012 slogan “Bring the Energy” featuring Texans’ All-Pro wide receiver Andre Johnson.

Metrorail averages approximately 15,194 boardings on an average Texans game day.

Section516
09-30-2011, 10:26 AM
Isn't it always free? They never have checkers, i ride it to Main st for Rockets/Astros games.. never seen anyone get checked. I pay, at least..

TejasTom
09-30-2011, 10:26 AM
5:30 am ... Are they expecting the security lines to be that long?

hobie
09-30-2011, 10:33 AM
5:30 am ... Are they expecting the security lines to be that long?

Well since they don't let the walkers in til 30 minutes after the gates open, that seems kindda early.. but hey, can't knock them for offering up something free.

Rick_Moon
09-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Isn't it always free? They never have checkers, i ride it to Main st for Rockets/Astros games.. never seen anyone get checked. I pay, at least..

Last year on the way to the Monday Night game against Baltimore, an officer checked and like 12-15 people didn't pay. they all lined up outside while he wrote them tickets, or whatever it is that they get. Apparently it's a fine.

Section516
09-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Last year on the way to the Monday Night game against Baltimore, an officer checked and like 12-15 people didn't pay. they all lined up outside while he wrote them tickets, or whatever it is that they get. Apparently it's a fine.

Hmm. I've never seen it, but i only ride from Fannin/Holly hall down to Main and back. Just always notice a large number of people don't pay or swipe.

At least there is some form of checking on occasion. :breakdance:

Vinnie
09-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Doesn't only cost a couple bucks anyway?

dinkatoid
09-30-2011, 12:29 PM
When I was leaving the colts game, the train was pretty backed up, but they offered a bus with the same exact route. Since it had no line, I got on it, but I do not think anyone paid. Nobody asked us about it or even mentioned it.

We have a small train system here in Austin that I ride to work - its the same type of thing where they just randomly get on and check tickets maybe 1-2 days a month. However, they do not do it for every departure time that day, so I have had times where I do not see them check tickets for around 3 months. I still buy a monthly pass, but for some people it could actually be cheaper just to pay the fine if you get it (sometimes they just make you get off and get a ticket).

Point is, its pretty easy to get away with the way they seem to run things, but it is really nice they are offering one that is actually free.

brakos82
09-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Same way with Seattle's Light Rail system. I only tap my card if I'm transferring to somewhere else.