PDA

View Full Version : Texans Run Defense ranks 31st

gtexan02
09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
According to more "accurate" metrics. Kind of goes with what I've heard many of you saying.

Mendenhall faces a Texans defense that has given up only about 17 fantasy points to running backs this season, which ranks them squarely in the middle of the pack. According to our play-by-play metrics, though, Houston actually owns the second-worst run defense in the league -- and it's easy to see why.

Over their past two games, opposing backs have accumulated 303 total yards and two touchdowns, which are pretty gaudy numbers no matter your scoring system. Indeed, the reason the Texans' run defense doesn't rank at the bottom of the league is because they had the good fortune of facing the incredible imploding offense in Indianapolis, and jumped out to such a huge early lead that the Colts were forced to throw the ball.

http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?id=7034123

EllisUnit
09-29-2011, 10:05 PM
According to more "accurate" metrics. Kind of goes with what I've heard many of you saying.

so whats the bad news :slapfight:

kiwitexansfan
09-29-2011, 10:48 PM
At least we've fixed the pass defense.

What more do you guys want?

badboy
09-29-2011, 11:11 PM
At least we've fixed the pass defense.

What more do you guys want?Nose tackle?

Thorn
09-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Stats don't mean a lot after only three games. After this Sunday, a bit more of a pattern to a teams play will be somewhat clearer. But even so, stats don't mean a whole lot unless they are way high or low. Hell, Schaub has had two 4000 yard seasons passing, and not much to show for it.

Carr Bombed
09-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Yep, remember the big fat space eater that this entire fanbase was begging for in the offseason? The one our FO didn't feel that we needed? Yeah, that.

We're actually pretty solid around the edges, it's up the middle that's killing us and that's the worst spot to be abused at in the running game. I really don't see this being fixed until next year's draft. Here's to bend, but don't break.

SuperSerial
09-30-2011, 03:37 AM
Ryans needs to step up.

welsh texan
09-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Ryans is stepping up, he had a real bad game in week 2 wearing that huge brace but last week was around the ball loads!

Both the teams we've faced the last 2 weeks run it well. I'm perfectly happy with the decision to concentrate on getting the secondary and the pass rush positions sorted in the off-season, you'd rather have a weakness for being run on up the middle than being passed on all day.

There was one game last season (forget which) where a team chose to pass out the game with the lead over us we were that bad. The other point is that if you have a team running the ball there is a better chance of creating 3rd and long.

Just need to work out how to get the stop on 3rd and long then. We've struggled there quite bad.

Brisco_County
09-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Mendenhall faces a Texans defense that has given up only about 17 fantasy points to running backs this season, which ranks them squarely in the middle of the pack. According to our play-by-play metrics, though, Houston actually owns the second-worst run defense in the league -- and it's easy to see why.

Over their past two games, opposing backs have accumulated 303 total yards and two touchdowns, which are pretty gaudy numbers no matter your scoring system. Indeed, the reason the Texans' run defense doesn't rank at the bottom of the league is because they had the good fortune of facing the incredible imploding offense in Indianapolis, and jumped out to such a huge early lead that the Colts were forced to throw the ball.

The thread title is misleading. If you are asserting the team's rank, it has to be real numbers related to real football. Houston's rank is 17. Link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1)

A fantasy football appraisal has limited value to the real discussion.

gtexan02
09-30-2011, 09:46 AM
The thread title is misleading. If you are asserting the team's rank, it has to be real numbers related to real football. Houston's rank is 17. Link (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1)

A fantasy football appraisal has limited value to the real discussion.

Perhaps you missed the point. This is not simply a fantasy football appraisal.

They did a play-by-play metric of run defense to offer a more realistic statistic than simple "rush yards per game." This metric takes into account the idea that the Colts were down by 30 points so early that they had to completely abandon the run.

The "17th" ranking is what the author meant by "middle of the pack" and that was based on fantasy #s alone. However the rest is not.

You can get a similar idea of where the numbers are coming from by sorting the website you linked to AVG ("yards per attempt")

The Texans are currently 5th worst at 4.8 ypc. And the only three teams we've faced are Indy (not a rushing team), the Dolphins (starting a rookie tailback) and the Saints (not known to be a rushing team either, and also starting a rookie).

To be giving up 4.8 ypc to those 3 is pretty bad, and if you account for hwo others have performed against similar competition, its easy to see why we are ranked so poorly. (For example the Browns have played both the Colts and Dolphins and are only giving up 4 ypc).

Historically (2010), 4.8 would put us dead last in the NFL

TimeKiller
09-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Well if you could only get one, I think we'd all take the better pass D we've seen this year.

gtexan02
09-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Well if you could only get one, I think we'd all take the better pass D we've seen this year.

The one Brees shredded for 40 points?

infantrycak
09-30-2011, 11:04 AM
They did a play-by-play metric of run defense to offer a more realistic statistic than simple "rush yards per game."

Well I don't subscribe so I don't know what their metric is or if it is more realistic. Just because they say it is doesn't mean it is. But whatever metric, garbage in is garbage out. 303 yds the last two games? The Saints had 100 yds. Miami had 153 yds. Last I checked that means they are off by 50 yds.

Tailgate
09-30-2011, 11:06 AM
The one Brees shredded for 40 points?

Positive spin..... The same Brees that put 34 on the Pack... On the road.

hradhak
09-30-2011, 11:16 AM
According to Kubes our defense for week 1 and 2 was setup to defend the pass. We put all our guys on pass rush and left huge gaps in the middle to run through. Miami took the bait and Henne had a bad game.

Also, a huge NT in a 3-4 is used when you the NT is covering 2 gaps. Wade Phillips only asks the NT to cover 1 gap. His system doesn't require a huge NT.

gary
09-30-2011, 01:05 PM
The Steelers dismal running game vs the Texans pitiful run defense. Who is going to win that battle?

Rey
09-30-2011, 01:26 PM
I said this in another thread, but I am not worried about the run defense...

No ones run game has really been a huge factor in the games we've played.

If we shut down a teams passing attack, we win the game. This is a passing league. I don't want to say run defense is overrated, but it's overrated. Especially if you have an offense like ours that can put up bunches of points. We have the ability to make a teams running game obsolte...

If we played the pass against the Saints we win. They were not going to run their way to a victory.

Clamp
09-30-2011, 01:32 PM
According to Kubes our defense for week 1 and 2 was setup to defend the pass. We put all our guys on pass rush and left huge gaps in the middle to run through. Miami took the bait and Henne had a bad game.

Also, a huge NT in a 3-4 is used when you the NT is covering 2 gaps. Wade Phillips only asks the NT to cover 1 gap. His system doesn't require a huge NT.

You dont HAVE to have a giant NT in this system to be successful because the guy needs to also be quick so he can shoot the gap and get into the backfield to disrupt the play. BUT, on a run play a smaller guy can get bulldozed when doing this, especially if he gets hit by a double team. A bigger stronger guy might be able to dig in and hold his ground where our 300lb guy who is only slightly bigger than our DEs gets cleared out and loses his gap. Since the nose doesnt have 2 gap responsibility it makes it that much more important that he at least hold his 1 gap. I saw it happen a number of times last week. The same thing could still happen to a big guy but typically the bigger guys are stronger at the point of attack and can drop their weight and hold their ground.

Clamp
09-30-2011, 01:40 PM
I said this in another thread, but I am not worried about the run defense...

No ones run game has really been a huge factor in the games we've played.

If we shut down a teams passing attack, we win the game. This is a passing league. I don't want to say run defense is overrated, but it's overrated. Especially if you have an offense like ours that can put up bunches of points. We have the ability to make a teams running game obsolte...

If we played the pass against the Saints we win. They were not going to run their way to a victory.

But if we find ourselves down in the fourth quarter and the other team is trying to run out the clock, a defense that can make them go 3 and out is pretty valuable. How many times has a team just needed a field goal to win and they get on our side of the 50 and just run it to wind down the clock before they kick? Thats the difference between getting the ball back with 3 minutes left or 30 seconds.

thunderkyss
09-30-2011, 01:42 PM
The Steelers dismal running game vs the Texans pitiful run defense. Who is going to win that battle?

As long as we're not giving up points, I could care less if the Steelers run for 250 yards.

We let the Saints put up some points (maybe we didn't let them) hopefully we'll get back to being stingy.

Dutchrudder
09-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Sorry Gtex, but this isn't relevant analysis. It's from the fantasy football section and it's trying to paint our Run D as poor, while including RB receiving stats. Sproles had 50 yards receiving and P Thomas had 15. I'm not sure how relevant that is to our overall Run D, but it's the incorrect information to use to rank us the '31st Run Defense'

Rushing:
Colts got 64 rushing yards 0 TDs
Miami got 153 yards and 0 TDs
Saints got 100 rushing yards 2 TDs

Overall Run D: 66 Rush Att, 317 Rush Yards allowed, with YPC of 4.8.

Puts us at 17th overall against the run.

Link to stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense

Edit: Futhermore, we are the 14th best defense overall through 3 games. Small sample size, yes, but a remarkable improvement over 2010. Here are the stats:

Passing D: 105 Pass Att, 59 comp, 672 yards total, for avg of 7.0 yard per att.
Good for 11th best in the league so far.

Texan_Bill
09-30-2011, 02:00 PM
As long as we're not giving up points, I could care less if the Steelers run for 250 yards.

We let the Saints put up some points (maybe we didn't let them) hopefully we'll get back to being stingy.

To expand on your point:

After 3 games:

Year Record Net Points
2010: 2-1 Net Points -1
2011: 2-1 Net Points +30

Rey
09-30-2011, 03:34 PM
But if we find ourselves down in the fourth quarter and the other team is trying to run out the clock, a defense that can make them go 3 and out is pretty valuable. How many times has a team just needed a field goal to win and they get on our side of the 50 and just run it to wind down the clock before they kick? Thats the difference between getting the ball back with 3 minutes left or 30 seconds.

That hasn't happened at all this year.

If you are asking about the teams history or even just the Kubiak era, I wouldn't know.

But really, stopping the run when you know it's a run had nothing to do with my post. It's not the same thing as stopping the run throughout the course of the game.

If your defense can't stop the run at the end of the game when they know the opposing team is running, then that's a huge issue...So far, I have not seen that happen. And honestly, I don't remember that happening too often is seasons past.