PDA

View Full Version : Steelers beat writer: Texans will win

drs23
09-28-2011, 05:48 PM
And goes on to explain why here (http://t.co/vXTphZ7C).

GP
09-28-2011, 05:51 PM
1, Beat-up offensive line (and it's not comparable to the Saints o-line, either).

2. No run game. Non-existent.

3. Facing a pissed off Texans team, on the road.

That's the only three stats I need to list. Anything else is gravy.

This is the week Matt Schaub goes rabid zombie and takes out his frustrations on the Steelers. And if players drop balls they should catch, he should cuss them out in front of Reliant and everyone watching at home--I need Schaub to bust chops and demand his players make plays when he gets them the ball.

jaayteetx
09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
1, Beat-up offensive line (and it's not comparable to the Saints o-line, either).

This is the week Matt Schaub goes rabid zombie and takes out his frustrations on the Steelers. And if players drop balls they should catch, he should cuss them out in front of Reliant and everyone watching at home--I need Schaub to bust chops and demand his players make plays when he gets them the ball.

You gotta watch calling out your teammates too much because they could turn around and do the same thing to him when he misses a throw. Last thing you need on a team is infighting.

ThaShark316
09-28-2011, 06:24 PM
If Schaub can keep giving smug faces after TD passes, I'm good.

(I know y'all saw it after the Casey TD...)

badboy
09-28-2011, 07:14 PM

My thoughts also. Matt should have a great game and lead this team to solid victory.

thunderkyss
09-28-2011, 07:19 PM
You gotta watch calling out your teammates too much because they could turn around and do the same thing to him when he misses a throw. Last thing you need on a team is infighting.

Not a person in here would appreciate their boss giving them a cussin in front of their coworkers, much less a self-proclaimed leader of a coworker, but somehow it is the right way for football players to act on TV.

mugrakers
09-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Not a person in here would appreciate their boss giving them a cussin in front of their coworkers, much less a self-proclaimed leader of a coworker, but somehow it is the right way for football players to act on TV.

yea because this world has become so PC that you can't even be called for letting everyone down.

DexmanC
09-29-2011, 12:27 AM
yea because this world has become so PC that you can't even be called for letting everyone down.

Yep. Apple dropped the ball.

Hookem Horns
09-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Not liking this. Everyone is picking the Texans including myself and all 3 guys on Inside the NFL.

GP
09-29-2011, 12:36 AM

QBs have to possess this attitude of "It's OK when I screw up, it's not OK when YOU screw up." All the great ones have that attitude. Even when they screwed up, nobody made waves about it.

The QB touches the ball on every snap, the other guys don't. It's logical that a QB can be excused a few uh-oh's but a WR or a TE or a RB who gets a fraction of touches ought to make their touches count.

That's my rationalization of why a QB can carry a 'tude even if he messes up.

I've seen Matt yell at guys. I've seen him point at them and scowl, barking at them to do better next time. He doesn't do it much, he doesn't do it as a cop out of his own mistakes. But this Steelers game is URGENT. He has to make his guys know they can't punt and "be 'good to go' next time around..."

House of Pain
09-29-2011, 01:09 AM
Not liking this. Everyone is picking the Texans including myself and all 3 guys on Inside the NFL.

Yes, it's a brave new world.

Thought we would lose the Saints game, and we did. Based on what I've seen this year, I'm quietly confident the Texans will win this game. These Texans are at least good enough to get to the postseason. I don't think we are a juggernaut, but if Foster improves the RZ offense and the D continues to get better, a very dangerous, streaky team.

Old School
09-29-2011, 01:13 AM

That's it...We are doomed....:scarygirl:

ObsiWan
09-29-2011, 01:54 AM
That's it...We are doomed....:scarygirl:
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQaoT1JTXiQ9f53AaXKvai3dufnUUNAX yddG9WE_BxzWk7x_aDNGA

houstonspartan
09-29-2011, 02:39 AM

Google "Tom Brady rant."

THAT is how QB's are supposed to act. If his players aren't getting it done, Matt should cuss out everybody and their mother if he has to. It is his team.

Specifically, at some point, Matt needs to call Jacoby Jones out IN PUBLIC and ON TELEVISION.

If Jacoby doesn't like it, well, tough shit. Matt could have him shipped out of here in five seconds if he has to.

ObsiWan
09-29-2011, 02:51 AM
Google "Tom Brady rant."

THAT is how QB's are supposed to act. If his players aren't getting it done, Matt should cuss out everybody and their mother if he has to. It is his team.

Specifically, at some point, Matt needs to call Jacoby Jones out IN PUBLIC and ON TELEVISION.

If Jacoby doesn't like it, well, tough shit. Matt could have him shipped out of here in five seconds if he has to.

I would have gone off on Ben Tate. That little swing pass that he "alligatored" in the fourth qtr (about 9:00 to go) could have kept the drive alive and got our defense some rest. The very next play was Schaub's INT which gave the Saints the ball on our side of the 50. Did I mention we still had the lead at that point?

SuperSerial
09-29-2011, 03:15 AM
Did I mention we still had the lead at that point?

Why was Kub passing so much? Hard to chew up the clock and nurse a lead when you're passing 90% of the quarter.

ObsiWan
09-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Why was Kub passing so much? Hard to chew up the clock and nurse a lead when you're passing 90% of the quarter.

I mentioned this in another thread.
We were pretty balanced going into the 4th quarter. Counting up the plays we were close to even on the run/pass ratio.
here's the ratio by possession....
1 - 5P/4R - TD (O.D.)
2 - 4P/3R - FG
3 - 4P/3R - punt
4 - 5P/0R - FG
5 - 1P/4R - FG
6 - 0P/1R - half
7 - 5P/6R - FG
8 - 2P/2R - TD (Casey)
9 - 2P/1R - 3-and-out
10- 3P/0R - INT
11- 7P/2R - TD (K.W.)

After this we were behind 40-33 and passed 5 straight times trying to play catchup.

Again, looking at the play-by-play Tate didn't get over two yards on any carry in the 4th qtr. Now was that because he was hurt? (I seem to recall him limping a bit at one point in the 4th) or gassed? ...or did the linemen or Tate do something that the Saints picked up on and could see when we were going to run?

Slaton was totally ineffective all game. Slaton wasn't seeing the holes or wasn't looking for them. I watched the game again, specifically looking at Slaton, and there were cut-back opportunities on at least three of his carries and he just ran up the backs of the linemen.

If the RBs aren't effective and you're behind by 7, what else is left but to pass.

Oh by the way, the Saints were pretty pass-happy too. Except when the play broke down for them, their QB could run around and buy time. Our QB just fell down.

texanfan2002114
09-29-2011, 10:30 AM

I don't say its right or its wrong but Drew Brees did it last week to his TE Jimmy Graham after the D. Manning interception. He chewed is a** out all the way to the sidelines.

The1ApplePie
09-29-2011, 10:49 AM

Romo bitched out the whole offense Monday night and got things turned around.

Brady does it all the time

Brees does this as well

Don't see enough Packers games to know if Rodgers does it.

It is all part of being a leader.

Vinnie
09-29-2011, 11:11 AM

Brees does this as well

He does.

HTown2ATX
09-29-2011, 11:25 AM
FWIW.....my dad who lives in Houston is from Pittsburgh and is a die hard Steeler fan as you would expect and also likes the Texans too.

He reads the paper up there online and is pretty good at following them and predicting the outcome of the Steeler games.

So, FWIW he is calling for Texans win by 7+ when I talked to him last night.

Also as an aside, thankfully the Texans look good right now and the Steelers kind of down so I haven't been getting the "recruiting" calls from him to join the dark side lol.

:tiphat:

silentassassin
09-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Also as an aside, thankfully the Texans look good right now and the Steelers kind of down so I haven't been getting the "recruiting" calls from him to join the dark side lol.

:tiphat:

Once a fan, always a fan!!!

b0ng
09-29-2011, 12:42 PM
I just think this one will boil down to whether that elite Steeler defense shows back up or not. That offense is alright, it's not at it's peak right now either.

drs23
09-29-2011, 12:50 PM
edit

thunderkyss
09-29-2011, 01:20 PM
I know most people aren't giving us any credit for the win over the Colts. Peyton Manning don't play defense.

But that's ok... they have valid points... Peyton puts up points, they play with a lead.... blah, blah, blah..... even though we've put the Colts down 20+ points & still had them come back to beat us more than once.

Anyway, there ain't going to be any excuses this time. The Steelers D is the Steelers D & they allow Ben & the offense to get away with crap.

They'll be motivated to play & they don't like to lose 2 in a row.

silentassassin
09-29-2011, 01:27 PM
I know most people aren't giving us any credit for the win over the Colts. Peyton Manning don't play defense.

But that's ok... they have valid points... Peyton puts up points, they play with a lead.... blah, blah, blah..... even though we've put the Colts down 20+ points & still had them come back to beat us more than once.

Anyway, there ain't going to be any excuses this time. The Steelers D is the Steelers D & they allow Ben & the offense to get away with crap.

They'll be motivated to play & they don't like to lose 2 in a row.

Well it's a good thing they won last week! :splits:

In all seriousness, I agree. I don't think you can put anything past them and this offense will have its work cut out. It was encouraging to see the offense get creative against the Saints by using AJ in screens and end-arounds and getting innovative with Casey. I honestly feel like they don't stand a chance if they don't get as creative as they did last week, but I think they will.

disaacks3
09-29-2011, 01:31 PM

Brees does this as well

I've never seen a great QB who didn't. Elway, Montana, Marino, Bradshaw, Staubach, etc.

This isn't an office full of cubicles, it's a violent sport played by VERY athletic men. Yelling will always be part of that picture.

thunderkyss
09-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Well it's a good thing they won last week! :splits:

In all seriousness, I agree. I don't think you can put anything past them and this offense will have its work cut out. It was encouraging to see the offense get creative against the Saints by using AJ in screens and end-arounds and getting innovative with Casey. I honestly feel like they don't stand a chance if they don't get as creative as they did last week, but I think they will.

You're right, I was hoping the Steelers lost (I know the Colts are in our division) but I wanted to see the Texans against a pissed off Steelers' team. Hopefully they're pissed off enough because they've been getting some bad press off of their unimpressive win.

The thing I liked about that screen to Andre, is that the Texans finally did something different That play worked once a long time ago. After that, if Andre turns to face the QB, the CB is coming at 100 mph. More recently, when that play has worked, Dre has to fight through a ton of defenders to gain 10 yards. It's like everyone knows it's in our playbook & they are just waiting for it. That's why you can't run the reverse with Andre... There's a minimum of 3 guys watching what he's doing on every single play, they'll be waiting for him on the other side.

But Sunday, what they did, was Andre took a step, like he was going to run a route. The 3 people assigned to Andre took a step back, which allowed our blockers to get into position & BAM!! magic.

Whoever thought up that one step thing... genius.

thunderkyss
09-29-2011, 02:00 PM
I've never seen a great QB who didn't. Elway, Montana, Marino, Bradshaw, Staubach, etc.

This isn't an office full of cubicles, it's a violent sport played by VERY athletic men. Yelling will always be part of that picture.

If it's who you are & you've earned that kind of capital then you bet. But if you don't have that kind of relationship with your team, it isn't going to work.

It's the same with you & your coworkers, if they do something that screws up your ability to do your job, how would they react when you go apeshit?

I'm surprised that center didn't just roll over after Romo went off on him.

Then there are some guys you can say anything to, anyway you want & you'll get the results you're looking for.

All I'm saying is, I don't give a shit if you call it PC or what ever, there's a right way & a wrong way to handle people, & it's different for everybody. Our team may not respond to Matt acting like an ***** on the field. Matt probably has it under control.

But personally, when I see a QB/Coach act like that, I don't like it. I don't care what the results are. I don't like it & I like that coach/player a little bit less.

The1ApplePie
09-29-2011, 03:24 PM
If it's who you are & you've earned that kind of capital then you bet. But if you don't have that kind of relationship with your team, it isn't going to work.

It's the same with you & your coworkers, if they do something that screws up your ability to do your job, how would they react when you go apeshit?

I'm surprised that center didn't just roll over after Romo went off on him.

Then there are some guys you can say anything to, anyway you want & you'll get the results you're looking for.

All I'm saying is, I don't give a shit if you call it PC or what ever, there's a right way & a wrong way to handle people, & it's different for everybody. Our team may not respond to Matt acting like an ***** on the field. Matt probably has it under control.

But personally, when I see a QB/Coach act like that, I don't like it. I don't care what the results are. I don't like it & I like that coach/player a little bit less.

That may not be in Matt's DNA. I can agree with that.

Schaub reminds me of Jay Culter, Eli Manning, and Daunte Culpepper (with a better brain but weaker arm) in how he goes about the game. Great talent without the overeaching personality.

The only question I have about Matt is if he can elevated the talent around him or if he is dependant on that talent to elevate him.

infantrycak
09-29-2011, 03:35 PM
The only question I have about Matt is if he can elevated the talent around him or if he is dependant on that talent to elevate him.

FWIW (and you would expect teammates to compliment him) when Cushing was on TV yesterday he was asked how Matt was as a leader. My impression was he gave more than a generic "Matt's a good leader, he keeps the O focused and together" or some such he kind of went out of his way and said something to the effect of "Matt's a great leader not just for the offense but the defense as well, he inspires and motivates the whole team." He made some other comment about it but I can't remember what it was.

thunderkyss
09-29-2011, 03:47 PM
That may not be in Matt's DNA. I can agree with that.

Schaub reminds me of Jay Culter, Eli Manning, and Daunte Culpepper (with a better brain but weaker arm) in how he goes about the game. Great talent without the overeaching personality.

Ouch... WTF, he's not that bad is he?

Manning makes everyone better, because you don't need to be WAO to get the ball. You don't have to be a super-acrobatic toughsumbit to make a catch. He leads you away from defenders. He reads defenses & if you get to the spot he tells you to get, all you have to do is catch & run. For an OL, he gets rid of the ball quick.

Matt can do that.... he hasn't done it as consistently as Manning has, but he can do it. Heck, if Matt can get around on those bootlegs faster to get the ball out ahead of AJ, or whoever, he'll make them look much better than they do now.

The1ApplePie
09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Ouch... WTF, he's not that bad is he?

Not meant as an insult. I am a fan of Culter and Eli. Their manner on the field seems similar to me. Eli is a very good leader by all accounts, he just doesn't show it in a way cameras can see.

They aren't hot heads like Rivers or high-risk-high-reward gunslingers like Romo, but are just as talented (maybe even more skilled).

hradhak
09-29-2011, 04:49 PM
My feeling is that Texans have already faced their toughest opponent for the enitre season with the Saints. Still, I'm wary of ever calling a game against the Steelers a victory. The Steelers have problems on offense no doubt, but that defense keeps them in games. Even if the Steelers offense can't get it done, the defense can score points and shut us out in the red zone.

thunderkyss
09-29-2011, 05:55 PM
My feeling is that Texans have already faced their toughest opponent for the enitre season with the Saints. Still, I'm wary of ever calling a game against the Steelers a victory. The Steelers have problems on offense no doubt, but that defense keeps them in games. Even if the Steelers offense can't get it done, the defense can score points and shut us out in the red zone.

I'd put the Ravens right there with the Saints. Their offense isn't as consistently potent, but they're dangerous just the same. Like us, they can score 30 on any given day. Their defense is leagues ahead of New Orleans, which makes them just as tough. They may actually be able to stop us from scoring...... with our redzone issues, they most likely will.

The Steelers.... the good Steelers (who may very well show up Sunday) are just as dangerous.