PDA

View Full Version : After three games, your expectations have:

thunderkyss
09-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Just wanted to do a board check... this is going to be a poll, so wait for it.

Thorn
09-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Until Kubiak proves me (and a lot of other Kubiak bashers around here) wrong, I am going to continue to assume and predict this is the year he finally turns it around.

If he doesn't though, I will be unsufferable around these parts.

Ryan
09-28-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm still on the "There's no way Kubiak can f*ck this up" bandwagon.

Khari
09-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Same..we will make it.:breakdance:

BIG TORO
09-28-2011, 12:24 PM

lmao! same, yea i agree!

nero THE zero
09-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Same.

This team is a playoff team. Easily.

Double Barrel
09-28-2011, 12:32 PM
This is our year to finally make the playoffs. I will continue to believe until proven otherwise. :howdy:

HTown2ATX
09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Same - Yes, I was upset about the loss last week, and somehow that magically meant that I thought the Texans sucked to some, but not so.

I still have faith they will make the playoffs not only because I think this is a great team, but honestly......they would have to REALLY Rosencopter the season not to make the playoffs in this division.

In fact, this divison is so Chramin soft this year, I am almost tempted to say that just making the playoffs and then getting murdered in game 1 would not be enough.......but I digress.....

:htown2atx:

Ole Miss Texan
09-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Pretty much the same, still think we'll be good and win the division. Maybe I could say my expectations may have increased a little simply from the fact that the rest of our division looks a lot worse than I first thought.

Ndevine7
09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I know a lot of people on this board are up in arms about the loss last week. We learned last week that this offense is still just as explosive and deadly as almost any other teams. Our defense took a hhuge step back but just look at how green bay d (regarded as one of the best d in the nfl) faired agianst the saints. As the season wears on I feel this d will only get stronger because they will have more time getting to master wades d. So far this team has won the games they should and lost a tough road game to a really good team. I think this team has warranted a few more wins and we should really see how this team is after the next 3 weeks.

brakos82
09-28-2011, 12:44 PM

And that would be different..... how?

Thorn
09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
And that would be different..... how?

:lol:

Pantherstang84
09-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Honestly, I think a lot of folks are discounting the Possum Holler Hillbillies.

They are 2-1 and their defeated opponents are are combined 3-3.

Meanwhile the Texans are also 2-1 and their defeated opponents are combined 0-6.

So I'm definitely not in the "Even Kubiak can't screw this up."

I just can't understand why this team refuses to be the league's Cinderella story year after year.

A la Lions, Bills.

They refuse to take that next step into greatness. I liken them to a college kid who refuses to get a job and get off the parent's tit.

beerlover
09-28-2011, 12:58 PM
They lost the game they where supposed to & won both they where favored to win so I guess they're still on track......:jogger:

HTown2ATX
09-28-2011, 01:04 PM

Meanwhile the Texans are also 2-1 and their defeated opponents are combined 0-6.

I just can't understand why this team refuses to be the league's Cinderella story year after year.

A la Lions, Bills.
They refuse to take that next step into greatness. I liken them to a college kid who refuses to get a job and get off the parent's tit.

Tut tut...

Don't make the Lions, Bills reference....I tried that already....it caused much sand in many places haha.

I would agree with you on the Titans, but I think they just got weaker with K. Britt going out at WR and CJ isn't really back up to par yet....he will be soon probably though for sure. Also, new head coach, we know the QB has injury issues, etc. What I am saying is they are taped together IMO and should fall apart soon enough.

Plus, I generally just hate them and refuse to give them any credit for anything even if they were 3-0 right now. It's bad enough I have to acknowledge they exist and see their fake ass ring of fame that includes HOUSTON OILERS not Bumblescum Mountain Hootinanies from Possum Squaller...bunch of banjo playing mother...........

:gun:

GNTLEWOLF
09-28-2011, 01:06 PM
I've been occassionally saying the last couple of years that I believe the MLewis of the South. The overall record stays around 500 with occassional dips way below and occassional trips to the play-offs. I believe this will be the first occassional play-off trip. No turned corners here, but a winning year none-the-less. They make the play-offs

Ckw
09-28-2011, 01:07 PM

I think I am going to shock a few people, but this is still where I stand.

Ckw
09-28-2011, 01:08 PM
I've been occassionally saying the last couple of years that I believe the MLewis of the South. The overall record stays around 500 with occassional dips way below and occassional trips to the play-offs. I believe this will be the first occassional play-off trip. No turned corners here, but a winning year none-the-less. They make the play-offs

I sure hope not... :vincepalm:

Vinny
09-28-2011, 01:31 PM
same, I figured we would lose in a shootout to the Saints. The Pittsburgh game could be a mind changer though.

Seņor Stan
09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
I am expecting a couple more wins than I originally thought.

I was scared of the 1st 6 games, and thought the Texans would be lucky to be .500 at that point. I can see the them being 4-2 or 5-1 at this point. I also see them doing better by a game or two in division with the injuries/ineptitude.

Texan_Bill
09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I am expecting a couple more wins than I originally thought.

I was scared of the 1st 6 games, and thought the Texans would be lucky to be .500 at that point. I can see the them being 4-2 or 5-1 at this point. I also see them doing better by a game or two in division with the injuries/ineptitude.

Don't you work or something? I don't know how you can between here and "The Twitter".

disaacks3
09-28-2011, 01:53 PM
We're exactly where I figured we would be after three games...2-1

I figured we'd CRUSH the Kerry Collins Colts - Check

I figured we'd find a way to win @ Miami - Check

I figured we'd lose a close one on the road @ N.O. - Check

Ghostform
09-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Im pretty sure we'll make the playoffs but the thing is will we win once we get there? This season is kinda like a free pass to the playoffs it seems...we'd really have to screw up not to make it.

Seņor Stan
09-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Don't you work or something? I don't know how you can between here and "The Twitter".

:spy:

HOU-TEX
09-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Still the same for me. I'm not sold, so no vote from me

sandman
09-28-2011, 03:15 PM
We're exactly where I figured we would be after three games...2-1

I figured we'd CRUSH the Kerry Collins Colts - Check

I figured we'd find a way to win @ Miami - Check

I figured we'd lose a close one on the road @ N.O. - Check

Seriously. Being 3-0 at this point would have equated to a GREAT road win over the Saints. Anyone who EXPECTED 3-0 going into the game at home against the Steelers was just setting themselves up for disappointment.

They may not have done all the individual parts in a way that I expected them to (see: RZ scoring), but the sum of those parts (2-1) definitely met expectations.

Thorn
09-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Seriously. Being 3-0 at this point would have equated to a GREAT road win over the Saints. Anyone who EXPECTED 3-0 going into the game at home against the Steelers was just setting themselves up for disappointment.

They may not have done all the individual parts in a way that I expected them to (see: RZ scoring), but the sum of those parts (2-1) definitely met expectations.

By all appearances, they certainly SEEM to be a better team than last year, which is why, once again, I'm right back on the same bandwagon for yet another year.

Hervoyel
09-28-2011, 03:48 PM
same, I figured we would lose in a shootout to the Saints. The Pittsburgh game could be a mind changer though.

I just read where you said the Pittsburgh game could be a mind changer and I thought about what we were saying the other day. If the Texans get handled by a physical Steeler team then doesn't that mean they're the same old soft Texans we've come to know and love? Does that mean then that if they stomp a hole in the Steelers then they've changed?

I think that there's no way to say that until they (if they) go on an extended run and say for instance whip the Steelers, Raiders, and then win at Baltimore. I think that nothing short of that is going to make me feel like they're really, really...... really different.

If they lose to Pittsburgh they're unchanged. Same problem, different year.

If they beat Pittsburgh and then lose to the Raiders and Ravens then same thing. They just beat a wounded Steeler team and showed their true "stink" in losses to the Saints, Raiders, and Ravens.

Beat the Steelers and Ravens but lose to the Raiders it's more of the same.

Until they tear it up for more than a game or two they are who we thought they were.

hradhak
09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
They are a better team compared to last year. The defense isn't top 10 but they are much improved. That and a weaker division and we should make the playoffs. Whether that's as a 9-7 division winner and 1 and done in the first round or something better remains to be seen.

drs23
09-28-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes, the AFC South appears to be there for the taking. I feel like we take the Steelers in our house. As I posted earlier, anyone sleeping on the Raiders is making a mistake. They look good. I think we can beat them but it'll be no pleasure cruise. They scare me more than the Ravens even going to Baltimore. By then I think we'll be seeing what this defense is going to be with the players we have. Would be grand if Harris could get on the field and light it to help shore up the secondary but that's just wishful thinking on my part. I guess we'll find out if a 'middle of the pack' defensive unit will be enough for us to take some of these games that the "experts" will have us in the 'L' column.

I'm sticking with my 11-5 prediction but 12-4 would perhaps get us a first round bye. That'd be really cool.:splits:

sandman
09-28-2011, 04:34 PM
I just read where you said the Pittsburgh game could be a mind changer and I thought about what we were saying the other day. If the Texans get handled by a physical Steeler team then doesn't that mean they're the same old soft Texans we've come to know and love? Does that mean then that if they stomp a hole in the Steelers then they've changed?

I think that there's no way to say that until they (if they) go on an extended run and say for instance whip the Steelers, Raiders, and then win at Baltimore. I think that nothing short of that is going to make me feel like they're really, really...... really different.

If they lose to Pittsburgh they're unchanged. Same problem, different year.

If they beat Pittsburgh and then lose to the Raiders and Ravens then same thing. They just beat a wounded Steeler team and showed their true "stink" in losses to the Saints, Raiders, and Ravens.

Beat the Steelers and Ravens but lose to the Raiders it's more of the same.

Until they tear it up for more than a game or two they are who we thought they were.

So essentially, they need to win out over the next 13 or they are just the same old "stink"?

EVERY team we play before the bye week except JAX is currently 2-1. So where does the "if they don't beat X team then they haven't changed" logic stop?

thunderkyss
09-28-2011, 04:43 PM

My thoughts exactly

Some of us thought we had a chance against the Saints. & we had them. We had them on the hook. We know that we're going to have to win a couple of games that we aren't supposed to. & that looked like it.

So I am just as disappointed in the loss as anyone else... just don't think it means what they think it means. If we lose to the Steelers, like Vinny, I think those guys would be proven correct.

GP
09-28-2011, 04:47 PM
I think at this point, it's best to have ZERO expectations.

We should ALL be in a week by week mode, just watching and enjoying and seeing if the team builds momentum and learns how to win games whether it's a grinder, a shoot-out, or whatever.

My opinion is that Gary Kubiak is squeamish (there's a REASON he doesn't watch close plays, by the way. He's squeamish). So I don't think the team can ever get over the top because Doug Downer (Kubiak) is at the helm.

Great builder of an offense, even a decent eye for talent, but no cut-throat skill on game days. He's the guy who likes to play war game on an Xbox360 but would throw up at the sight of a severed head on his doorstep.

badboy
09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Same 15-1 except I thought Pitts would be the loss. If it is, uh oh. Before season began almost all posters thought if O remained high octane and defense improved to top16 we were in playoffs. Well, O is still cooking and D appears better than last season if not the last game, we should go past game 1 PO.

This next game will tell me a lot but not necesarily give an insight to our season record. I want to see vast inprovement with KJ and Allen. If Steelers oline is as weak as being projected, Mario needs to be a tornado. I want to see more from Reed and I need to see Brandon Harris period. Schaub needs to be more on target and I think he will be.

sandman
09-28-2011, 04:56 PM
My thoughts exactly

Some of us thought we had a chance against the Saints. & we had them. We had them on the hook. We know that we're going to have to win a couple of games that we aren't supposed to. & that looked like it.

So I am just as disappointed in the loss as anyone else... just don't think it means what they think it means. If we lose to the Steelers, like Vinny, I think those guys would be proven correct.

Agree on the disappointment. The Texans had the opportunity and failed to capitalize. That being said, a road loss to the Saints determined in the last few minutes of the 4th quarter is not something to hang your head in shame about. You sneak out with a win and you crow about it. You dominate the game and only lose because of a red zone version of erectile dysfunction, and you still take away the positive.

The only way that ends up being a "take two steps back" kind of game for me is if the Saints would have given them a beat down.

DexmanC
09-28-2011, 09:41 PM

A la Lions, Bills.

Every time the expectations are high, and it's time to take that
next step, the team does this:
http://i54.tinypic.com/hrn860.jpg
This image just describes this team so well. It's on the Texans
to change that fact.

sandman
09-29-2011, 03:44 PM
This image just describes this team so well. It's on the Texans to change that fact.

Exactly. All they did was beat two teams they were supposed to beat and lost a close road game to an elite team that won the Super Bowl two years ago.

The are exactly the same team that they were last year. Except last year's team would have made Collins look like Manning. And allowed Miami to throw for 500 yards and beat them. And they would have been blown out by the Saints.

But other than that, they are the exact same team and will continue to suck until proven otherwise. Worst damn 2-1 team to ever play this sport, I tell you...

gary
09-29-2011, 03:57 PM
I am just going to let the season play itself out.

badboy
09-29-2011, 04:20 PM
I am just going to let the season play itself out.
Where is the fun in that?

coon
09-29-2011, 05:18 PM
About the same. We had Saint's against the ropes and just could't deliver the knockout blow. We should get two of the next three and im fine with that. The biggest games are looking to be Tampa and Atlanta later in the season. Hopefully we will have around 3 losses and will be jockeying for a home playoff game

thunderkyss
09-29-2011, 05:36 PM
About the same. We had Saint's against the ropes and just could't deliver the knockout blow. We should get two of the next three and im fine with that. The biggest games are looking to be Tampa and Atlanta later in the season. Hopefully we will have around 3 losses and will be jockeying for a home playoff game

Tampa ain't shit...... I'm saying it now. They took advantage of a week schedule, they swept the NFC West, Split the AFC North (lost to the Ravens & Steelers, beat the Bengals & Browns), They swept the 2-14 Panthers, They were swept by Atlanta, & only beat NO in the last game of the year (gimmie game). There wasn't a quality win on their schedule from 2010.

So far this year, they've beaten Atlanta & Minnesota. I'm not impressed.

ObsiWan
09-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Let's seeee... we've won 2 and lost 1. Now by my calculations if we can continue that trend the rest of the season - two wins for each loss - we can end up 11-5.

I can live with that.

Every team wins one or two they shouldn't and lose one or two they shouldn't

brakos82
09-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Let's seeee... we've won 2 and lost 1. Now by my calculations if we can continue that trend the rest of the season - two wins for each loss - we can end up 11-5.

I can live with that.

Every team wins one or two they shouldn't and lose one or two they shouldn't

Or in the case of last year, about 1 and 5. :kubepalm:

ObsiWan
09-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Or in the case of last year, about 1 and 5. :kubepalm:

This season, that ratio will not do.
We sink that badly again, heads must roll.

SuperSerial
09-30-2011, 02:31 AM
Until Kubiak proves me (and a lot of other Kubiak bashers around here) wrong, I am going to continue to assume and predict this is the year he finally turns it around.

If there's a way to eff up a game, Kubiak will find it. Like running the ball 3 times and passing it 18 times in the 4th vs the Saints. That ain't exactly how you protect and lead, chew up the clock, and keep Mr. Brees on the bench.

KA4Texan
09-30-2011, 05:44 AM
My vote, remained they make the playoffs, in spite of Kubak, far from because of, just as I believed before NO.

I dont know, I still just feel like Sunday was prom night, we had the stage primed and set, it was ours for the taking but we forgot the "protection"...... so we went home disappointed.

I just know, unless it wins us the game I dont want to see another FG this season.

TheMatrix31
09-30-2011, 07:56 AM
If there's a way to eff up a game, Kubiak will find it. Like running the ball 3 times and passing it 18 times in the 4th vs the Saints. That ain't exactly how you protect and lead, chew up the clock, and keep Mr. Brees on the bench.

The other side of this is that we probably would have chewed up the clock if our two RBs weren't Tate and Slaton. It's kind of tough to just pound the rock continuously and keep Brees off the field when A) Tate wasn't having a terribly great running game and B) Slaton sucks.

Besides, we were tearing them up through the air. Perhaps the coaches felt it'd be better to put the game out of reach by putting more points on the board? I don't know. We killed the Colts last year in Week 1 by running down their throats the second half, but we had Foster and Ward then.

Not saying I agree with what happened. I would have probably been more balanced. But maybe that was the thought process?

TejasTom
09-30-2011, 07:56 AM
I don't think Kubiak can kill this year by his self but if he continues to get help from Schaub (a la 56% completion) we could have problems.

If Schaub stays close to 70% like the 1st two games, and Foster can stay on field we'll be fine.

TimeKiller
09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah right, some people need to reflect what they've chosen in their postings.........entirely too much bitching about a 2-1 team that apparently almost everyone believes will make the playoffs for the first time in team history.

infantrycak
09-30-2011, 09:48 AM
The other side of this is that we probably would have chewed up the clock if our two RBs weren't Tate and Slaton. It's kind of tough to just pound the rock continuously and keep Brees off the field when A) Tate wasn't having a terribly great running game and B) Slaton sucks.

Ben Tate was getting 4.3 ypc. That isn't cat food. But it looked like he got knicked or cramped in the fourth and that's why Slaton went in. I don't think they trusted Slaton to pound it to run out time.

thunderkyss
09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah right, some people need to reflect what they've chosen in their postings.........entirely too much bitching about a 2-1 team that apparently almost everyone believes will make the playoffs for the first time in team history.

We've been reminded, several times, that we've used this same argument last year, & it's true, we did. However the difference (at least in my mind) is that we are playing better football than we were last season. Not perfect by any means, but good football none the less.

My only concern, is that I don't think we have the depth that we thought we had coming into the season.

We thought we had something on the line other than Mario & Antonio... but Brooks Reed has looked pedestrian in the regular season & Barwin hasn't shown us what he had in his rookie season... neither has Cushing or Demeco for that matter. Depth wise, the only thing we've got is Tim Jamison in the front 7 & that isn't going to get us through the season.

We've still got time for those guys to find their game, but right now the picture is bleak.

DB wise....to me, Allen & KJac isn't going to do us any good if JJo misses any significant time, not with what they've shown us so far anyway.

We've already hit the bottom of our RB depth chart & it's scary. Hopefully Ogbanaya can bring his preseason game into the regular season when we need him & Ward will get healthy again.

WR..... obviously only a few of us think we need help at the WR position. Sure, if KDub misses a game, or if Jacoby misses a game, we probably won't notice. But if both of them are out, or if AJ has issues.... I think we're in trouble.

Our best swing tackle is already on IR & I can't remember the last time I saw Cardwell.

Some people are going to have to step up & right now, I'm worried that they even can. It's only been 3 games, I know..... but it's been 3 games.

sandman
09-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Some people are going to have to step up & right now, I'm worried that they even can. It's only been 3 games, I know..... but it's been 3 games.

See, this type of response is what I don't get.

This team beat the teams they were supposed to beat, and lost to the team they were supposed to lose to. They are + on turnovers, getting sacks and INT's. Running game works. Passing game works. New defense has gaps but still much better than last year.

To talk about people needing to step up and do it RIGHT NOW else the season will be an absolute- err, utter - fail just baffles me.

I can understand if they didn't win or lose in the manner you thought appropriate, but seriously, you sound like a man who just realized his team won the all-time suckage award.

thunderkyss
09-30-2011, 01:06 PM
To talk about people needing to step up and do it RIGHT NOW else the season will be an absolute- err, utter - fail just baffles me.

Sorry, I thought I was pretty clear.

I believe I made a point that my concerns were about our depth.

Everyone deals with injuries.... we're going to have injuries... we're going to have to deal with injuries.

Some of our depth guys looked good in the preseason, not so much in the regular season.... it's only been 3 games...

yeah, I thought I covered everything.

DX-TEX
09-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Division title and first round playoff bye or bust.

sandman
09-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry, I thought I was pretty clear.

I believe I made a point that my concerns were about our depth.

Everyone deals with injuries.... we're going to have injuries... we're going to have to deal with injuries.

Some of our depth guys looked good in the preseason, not so much in the regular season.... it's only been 3 games...

yeah, I thought I covered everything.

Depth. Gotcha. Makes sense.

gary
09-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I think Cushing has played well so far even though he probably won't ever be as good as he was back in 2009 when he was just an absolute beast.