PDA

View Full Version : Texans biggest need: #2 WR

Big Valley
09-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Any local talk/buzz of a trade for legit #2 WR? Any trade talk at all?

Dwayne Bowe, Percy Harvin, Brandon Marshall could be in play if their respective teams become sellers.

:trophy: ... we need one.

Vinnie
09-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Biggest need a #2 WR? IMHO, their biggest need is a healthy Arian. Oh, and another legit corner wouldn't hurt.

Vinny
09-27-2011, 09:45 PM
this ain't baseball

Carr Bombed
09-27-2011, 09:46 PM

Dwayne Bowe, Percy Harvin, Brandon Marshall could be in play if their respective teams become sellers.

If we're going to make a trade, it needs to be for a viable #2 NFL caliber corner. Kareem Jackson is a flat out bust and needs to be removed from the starting lineup ASAP.

Kareem Jackson, the only player that I have ever written off as a complete colossal bust after just one season in the NFL...that's how bad he is.

"Most NFL ready corner" :vincepalm: Rick Smith should be fired on spot just for that pick alone.

badboy
09-27-2011, 09:55 PM

:trophy: ... we need one.scoring 30 points indicates your premise is incorect. #2CB and Nose Tackle is ahead of your guy although we should address it in next draft. :slapfight: :tiphat:

Hervoyel
09-27-2011, 10:13 PM
this ain't baseball

Indeed. Anyone got an up to date list of free agent WR's out there waiting for a call? Is there anyone not currently playing who could help us?

gary
09-27-2011, 10:15 PM
Their biggest need? Winning games.

Rey
09-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't think teams in the NFL become "sellers". They just hold onto the guys they can because unlike some other sports it doesn't have take long to get good.

But with that said I do think that another receiving target that can consistently beat one on one coverage would help a lot. That or a qb that elevates the level of play of everyone around them.

Right now our offense is very very good though. It could get better and propel into the upper stratosphere, but the most important component to this teams success is the defense. If the defense controls the opposing offense, we should win.

steelbtexan
09-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Bring in one or both of Pat/Jamal Williams.

Bring in a vet CB like Lito Sheppard or let Harris get some experience. They cant be worse than KJ.

Draft a WR in rd 1/2 next yr. The draft is deep at WR.

playa465
09-27-2011, 10:48 PM
Just curious, out of the 39 pass attempts in the Saints game, does any1 know how many were directed at a WR other than Aj?

gary
09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
The Texans had the opportunity to upgrade but instead they re-signed Jones just Gary being loyal as always.

Carr Bombed
09-27-2011, 11:05 PM
The Texans had the opportunity to upgrade but instead they re-signed Jones just Gary being loyal as always.

This thread is a mirage. It really isn't about the #2 WR, but more about how we can upgrade the #2 corner spot since that really is our "biggest need". Could we afford a upgrade at WR...yes, but we just gave up 40 points and our #1 CB has a knack for getting banged up and misses games during the regular season.

Corrosion
09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Indeed. Anyone got an up to date list of free agent WR's out there waiting for a call? Is there anyone not currently playing who could help us?

There was a list posted in another thread on the subject when Walter went down ....

Ndevine7
09-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Just curious, out of the 39 pass attempts in the Saints game, does any1 know how many were directed at a WR other than Aj?

Rotoworld.com usually posts target counts on wednesday or thursday

Trail.Blazr
09-28-2011, 01:45 AM
If we're going to make a trade, it needs to be for a viable #2 NFL caliber corner. Kareem Jackson is a flat out bust and needs to be removed from the starting lineup ASAP.

Kareem Jackson, the only player that I have ever written off as a complete colossal bust after just one season in the NFL...that's how bad he is.

"Most NFL ready corner" :vincepalm: Rick Smith should be fired on spot just for that pick alone.

I guess you'd never watched Charles Dimry much in the early 90's... aka "toast". Fortunately, for Bronco fans.. He only started 18 games under Wade Phillips in Denver. How may games has KJ started here? :glasshalffull:

Marcus
09-28-2011, 02:19 AM
There was a list posted in another thread on the subject when Walter went down ....

And who on that list would be better than we have now? That's why threads like this are silly. Like someone said, this ain't baseball.

Who we got is who we got is who we got is who we got.

Got that! ;)

beerlover
09-28-2011, 02:28 AM

bold talk there rookie, but not a bad idea its just that trades in the NFL are few & far between, heck even in my fantasy league they're non-existent. Texans also seem not to want & challenge their best player, preferring to bracket him with a solid yet unspectacular supporting cast. I think it would benefit Andre & the Texans if they had some competition @ WR that would carry over on game days. That being said, going after a free agent WR next off season may be a very probably resolution, if they can resolve cap issues moving forward. Otherwise its back to the draft & using a #1 or #2 pick (if the right guy is available?) to really find somebody with the talent & ability to step in, compete & win that #2 spot. Believe it or not that's going to take somebody pretty special, so even that requires some luck & planning to secure the right player. I'm afraid this season we play with what we got. I would like to see them try to involve Bryant Johnson more. He was a former #1 pick, has the experience & looks good running routes & making tough catches in traffic, similar body style to Andre just condensed.

Lucky
09-28-2011, 05:50 AM

Got that! ;)
Reminds me of Kubiak's quote last season, after Jackson had been roasted numerous times.
We're gonna go with the guys we've got.
And by "go" he meant continue to see the season flushed down the toilet by inserting Jackson in the lineup.

I don't think there's another QB on the schedule that can expose the Texans secondary like Brees did in the 4th quarter. But if there is, it's Ben Roethlisberger on Sunday.

Biggest need on the Texans? Leadership in the 4th quarter. On the field and on the sideline.

hradhak
09-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Our biggest need is definitely a #2 CB. I just don't see us picking anyone up until the offseason. In the mean time it's on our coaching staff to minimize the damage from KJ's lack of coverage

BigBull17
09-28-2011, 09:02 AM
I wanted to make a run at Sidney Rice in the offseason, but the money ran out. JJ was a mistake, but he is a decent threat at punt returner.

Porky
09-28-2011, 09:07 AM
Our biggest need is easily a legit #2 CB. They did zippo to address that need, and as you could see in the Saints game they exploited our vaunted #1 draft pick who plays like a #12 draft pick. KJ is a little better than last year. That's like saying Obama is a better President than....uh never mind.

Second biggest need is a legit NT. They did zippo to address that need so teams are able to pound it up the gut and we get no inside push so QB's can just step up.

3rd biggest need is OL depth. With Butler out were are thinner than Calista Flockhart at a weight watchers convention.

After that, maybe, just maybe we look to upgrade #2 WR but isn't even on the radar as a large need at this point. Where do you people come up with this stuff?:vincepalm:

HOU-TEX
09-28-2011, 09:09 AM
scoring 30 points indicates your premise is incorect. #2CB and Nose Tackle is ahead of your guy although we should address it in next draft. :slapfight: :tiphat:

Agreed!

Hervoyel
09-28-2011, 09:10 AM
And who on that list would be better than we have now? That's why threads like this are silly. Like someone said, this ain't baseball.

Got that! ;)

I don't get it :thinking:

Wait.....

Yeah I do :koolaid:

Honestly CB2 is our biggest need. WR2 is more like our biggest "want" right now.

TejasTom
09-28-2011, 09:16 AM
We needed a receiver that can catch with their feet this last game.

Porky
09-28-2011, 09:29 AM
We needed a receiver that can catch with their feet this last game.

Yup. In the 4th qtr when the chips were down, Schaub was a shriking violet or the stink flower from the museum. It only blooms in the 4tq qtr. OTOH, Brees was in full bloom when it counted most. A rose by any other name would smell as sweet as Brees in the 4th qtr.

I'm beginning to think we have a decent QB, but he isn't a winner. The great ones were all winners. They were at their best when their team needed them the most. Too many times, Schaub has gone brain dead, looks tight, has mental lapses, or just plain makes dumb decisions when the chips are down.

The1ApplePie
09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
With the lone exception of the Giants, every Super Bowl champ since 2003 has had an offense loaded with receiving weapons and average-to-mediocre running backs.

The new rules of the NFL favor the passing game, while the bell-cow running back is becoming a thing of the past. Defense is also getting neutered every where.

Outside weapons are the future of the football, it isn抰 the 1970s.

A legit No. 2 and even No. 3 WR is vital for the Texans future IMO.

silvrhand
09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Nothing like the texanstalk board, a post about getting a real #2 receiver goes into yet another how bad KJ sucks thread lol..

BigBull17
09-28-2011, 10:51 AM
I don't get it :thinking:

Wait.....

Yeah I do :koolaid:

Honestly CB2 is our biggest need. WR2 is more like our biggest "want" right now.

WR#2 is a pretty big need at the moment. You have to get more production than JJ's 1 catch for 0 yards. He has been fairly retched as a receiver this year.

BullNation4Life
09-28-2011, 11:10 AM
This thread is a mirage. It really isn't about the #2 WR, but more about how we can upgrade the #2 corner spot since that really is our "biggest need". Could we afford a upgrade at WR...yes, but we just gave up 40 points and our #1 WR has a knack for getting banged up and misses games during the regular season.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_7XArWPNm71s/SdFrgJEZgHI/AAAAAAAAAs4/l1erYRjc-mw/s400/jedi%20mind%20trick.jpg

THIS ISN'T THE THREAD YOU ARE LOOKING FOR....

VTexan
09-28-2011, 12:06 PM
this ain't baseball

Anquan Boldin was traded for a 3rd and 4th rounder.

Braylon Edwards was traded for a bag of peanuts.

Roy Williams was traded for 1st, 3rd and 6th.

These were all fairly recent. A trade can happen for WR but the Texans won't pursue such a deal.

Hervoyel
09-28-2011, 12:45 PM
WR#2 is a pretty big need at the moment. You have to get more production than JJ's 1 catch for 0 yards. He has been fairly retched as a receiver this year.

Oh don't get me wrong, I can't stand JJ. He should be the guy at the bottom of the depth chart who returns punts and gets on the field only to stretch it with his speed. You target him just enough to keep the defense covering him but you expect nothing from his inconsistent hands.

But, as much as I want to upgrade him (Hell, I'd throw Bryant Johnson in there and see if he flashes. Try something) JJ didn't give up 23 points in the fourth quarter or get picked clean..... again.... like Kareem did Sunday It's not just Kareem's fault either. Past Joseph they all appear to suck. We have exactly one CB who can cover. That is a need. With JJ we still gave up 40 points. In spite of JJ we still managed to score 33.

Arian Foster comes back and our red zone offense improves and JJ will go back to being a minor irritation. We're still gonna need a CB2 though.

Double Barrel
09-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Biggest need on the Texans? Leadership in the 4th quarter. On the field and on the sideline.

yep. Not to dredge up off-season wish lists, but the chin's 108𢴏 in games in which they built a lead of at least eleven points is so freakin' awesome it makes me blush.

Get out of jail card this week due to the Brees effect. But any more two score leads blown in the 4th this season and expect some grumpy fans for awhile.

beerlover
09-28-2011, 12:54 PM
yep. Not to dredge up off-season wish lists, but the chin's 108𢴏 in games in which they built a lead of at least eleven points is so freakin' awesome it makes me blush.

Get out of jail card this week due to the Brees effect. But any more two score leads blown in the 4th this season and expect some grumpy fans for awhile.

grumpy & pissed off :slapfight:

Vinny
09-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Anquan Boldin was traded for a 3rd and 4th rounder.

Braylon Edwards was traded for a bag of peanuts.

Roy Williams was traded for 1st, 3rd and 6th.

These were all fairly recent. A trade can happen for WR but the Texans won't pursue such a deal.
sucky teams don't trade out of their better players to the "playoff teams" like as in baseball. The tight rosters, cap limits and the inability to replace quality players for a year are a huge difference in the leagues. Most teams that trade before the deadline in baseball are crap teams looking for long term prospects and farm team guys. That just doesn't happen in the NFL.

Texan_Bill
09-28-2011, 01:15 PM

Dare I say it? Terrell Owens! :hides: *ducks punches*

Seriously though, the #2 receiver in this offense is the TE. Should we look at a speed guy to stretch the field for AJ? Sure, but we can get that in the draft.

I'm in agreement with those who suggested A) A healthy Arian B) NT and C) CB

silvrhand
09-28-2011, 03:41 PM
Dare I say it? Terrell Owens! :hides: *ducks punches*

Seriously though, the #2 receiver in this offense is the TE. Should we look at a speed guy to stretch the field for AJ? Sure, but we can get that in the draft.

I'm in agreement with those who suggested A) A healthy Arian B) NT and C) CB

TO, Randy Moss, there are a few left on the blocks that could give us a viable #2 option. Only problme with Moss is that noodle arm Schaub can't get it 40+ yards down the field lol..

Ole Miss Texan
09-28-2011, 03:53 PM
I don't know that it's our biggest need, but I'm definitely on record for wanting a 'stud' #2 (Jeff Fuller in draft).

I'm not going to place the entire blame for the loss to the Saints on our defense, I think it was more collective, but Brees' ability to pass so easily on us the last 5 minutes hurts.

But please allow me to attempt a few reasons how a #2 WR could have helped us. 3rd down conversions and Red Zone TD conversions. It's well documented about the plethora of field goals we kicked from the 3, 9, 9 , 18 and/or wherever they were from. We've had trouble punching the ball in on the ground inside the RZ and I don't think that will necessarily disappear due to our ZBS as one reason. Could a better #2 wideout have helped us convert? Maybe.

In the second half we did some good but there was definitely some bad on offense. A #2 wideout could have helped convert some of those 3rd downs that killed us. Keep the ball in our hands, move the chains, run the clock.

I think we're a very good offense, but not elite. Elite offenses are those that can move the ball down the field at will, particularly when its needed most. We can't do that all the time yet. I do think a true legit #2 could get us to that point though.

Big Valley
09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't know that it's our biggest need, but I'm definitely on record for wanting a 'stud' #2 (Jeff Fuller in draft).

I'm not going to place the entire blame for the loss to the Saints on our defense, I think it was more collective, but Brees' ability to pass so easily on us the last 5 minutes hurts.

But please allow me to attempt a few reasons how a #2 WR could have helped us. 3rd down conversions and Red Zone TD conversions. It's well documented about the plethora of field goals we kicked from the 3, 9, 9 , 18 and/or wherever they were from. We've had trouble punching the ball in on the ground inside the RZ and I don't think that will necessarily disappear due to our ZBS as one reason. Could a better #2 wideout have helped us convert? Maybe.

In the second half we did some good but there was definitely some bad on offense. A #2 wideout could have helped convert some of those 3rd downs that killed us. Keep the ball in our hands, move the chains, run the clock.

I think we're a very good offense, but not elite. Elite offenses are those that can move the ball down the field at will, particularly when its needed most. We can't do that all the time yet. I do think a true legit #2 could get us to that point though.

Exactly. Thank you.

I'll back on my "Biggest" need comment... a little bit. Maybe.

Randy Moss was traded in-season twice last year, right? What'd he go for?

I specifically mentioned 3 possible WRs with baggage.

A trade can get done. Texans FO/HC jobs are on the line.

badboy
09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Nothing like the texanstalk board, a post about getting a real #2 receiver goes into yet another how bad KJ sucks thread lol..That is not correct. The thread was not only about getting a WR but identified the "biggest need" as #2 WR. Some of us disagreed and supported our position with evidence.

SOme could have argued that OLB was a higher priority but then you could have complained that it had become a Mario sucks thread.

chicagotexan2
09-29-2011, 10:41 AM
I'd like a more effect #2 WR but that's not what's holding this team back. It would be nice to get someone better or if Walter or Jones would step it up. If this team learns that field goals can beat teams like MIA, but not teams NO then I'd be happy.

TdotTexas2Step
09-29-2011, 06:55 PM
IMO

For this season, a better #2 WR will help us more than a #2 CB. And I stress "this season". Honestly, our D is what it is. You can't honestly expect a night and day difference between what we had out there on D last year, and what we have out there this year. If we do what's needed to bring in a legit #2 CB, we're still going to get thrown on, and we're still going to get run on.

Will we better equipped to make stops? For sure. But let's remember we were facing Drew Brees, someone who's known to throw it to multiple targets. They would have just found KJ in the slot or something and picked on him there.

Like I said, what we've seen from our D is pretty much what we're going to get for the rest of the season - A defensive unit with obvious weaknesses, but make up for it with active hands, disruption at the line, and the ability to create turnovers. Yeah, sure we'll improve with execution as the guys further settle in with Wade's schemes, but at the end of the day, Wade is missing a few more pieces to truly carry out his ambitions.

So if you're choosing between a #2 WR, and a #2 CB, I have to go with receiver for this season. Only because I feel like we're going to be in a lot of close games this year. We're going to find ourselves in positions where we're going to have to pass. Whether that's because it's 3rd and 10 in the 4th quarter of a playoff game, or we're in the redzone in a shootout with a team like the Saints. With the game on the line, Schaub looks to AJ, then maybe OD, and if those reads are gone, it's pretty much a wrap. Give Matt that's 3rd legit read, and this offense will be able to handle the loss of Foster if he goes down again, while also becoming truly unstoppable if Foster stays healthy the rest of the year.

badboy
09-29-2011, 10:59 PM
IMO

For this season, a better #2 WR will help us more than a #2 CB. And I stress "this season". Honestly, our D is what it is. You can't honestly expect a night and day difference between what we had out there on D last year, and what we have out there this year. If we do what's needed to bring in a legit #2 CB, we're still going to get thrown on, and we're still going to get run on.

Will we better equipped to make stops? For sure. But let's remember we were facing Drew Brees, someone who's known to throw it to multiple targets. They would have just found KJ in the slot or something and picked on him there.

Like I said, what we've seen from our D is pretty much what we're going to get for the rest of the season - A defensive unit with obvious weaknesses, but make up for it with active hands, disruption at the line, and the ability to create turnovers. Yeah, sure we'll improve with execution as the guys further settle in with Wade's schemes, but at the end of the day, Wade is missing a few more pieces to truly carry out his ambitions.
So if you're choosing between a #2 WR, and a #2 CB, I have to go with receiver for this season. Only because I feel like we're going to be in a lot of close games this year. We're going to find ourselves in positions where we're going to have to pass. Whether that's because it's 3rd and 10 in the 4th quarter of a playoff game, or we're in the redzone in a shootout with a team like the Saints. With the game on the line, Schaub looks to AJ, then maybe OD, and if those reads are gone, it's pretty much a wrap. Give Matt that's 3rd legit read, and this offense will be able to handle the loss of Foster if he goes down again, while also becoming truly unstoppable if Foster stays healthy the rest of the year.Wow, where do I begin? We move Mario to OLB where Phillips is known to develop players into Qb sacking machines, we add 2nd best FA corner in Phillips and prob best FA safety in Manning; our first round pick is a DE; we move Quin to his natural position of safety and he has looked good and I can't honestly expect a "night and day difference over last year"? For the love of God, why not?

We score 33 points and give up 40 and you think a WR is more important than a corner? I really don't know how to answer that. I think you did get the bolded right and that is why we need a nose tackle and a CB2 and probably an ILB. Our run defense is terrible.

Red Zone should be better with Foster although Kubes did not go to Tate as often as he could. If I remember correctly Slaton got a carry or two in that area.

Just me but if Schaub's first two reads in AJ and OD are not open, I think he should "scurry around" a bit to open up the defense.

Big Valley
10-02-2011, 03:04 PM
We need a legit #2 worse than ever now.

CretorFrigg
10-02-2011, 03:17 PM

I completely agree. Once AJ was out, none of our receivers were targeted. That either means Schaub/Kubiak has no faith in our other receivers OR they're unable to get open. I'm betting it's the latter.

We need a legitimate #2 WR to complement our offense. Today's game proved that we really have no other option after AJ except for Owen Daniels. Foster carried us throughout the game, but the defense caught on, so they stacked the box which made it incredibly difficult to run.

EllisUnit
10-02-2011, 03:19 PM
I completely agree. Once AJ was out, none of our receivers were targeted. That either means Schaub/Kubiak has no faith in our other receivers OR they're unable to get open. I'm betting it's the latter.

We need a legitimate #2 WR to complement our offense. Today's game proved that we really have no other option after AJ except for Owen Daniels. Foster carried us throughout the game, but the defense caught on, so they stacked the box which made it incredibly difficult to run.

agree we wont be able to win like this every week, if AJ is a no go next week then we need to figure something out.

False Start
10-02-2011, 03:19 PM

Thats what bugs me. That as soon as AJ goes down the Texans are kinda screwed. They need to start doing something so if AJ gets hurt, the situation is not so dire.

Big Valley
10-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Discuss?

TimeKiller
10-09-2011, 04:28 PM
It's getting higher on the list all the time it seems.

Still need another quality DB though.