PDA

View Full Version : Pain Killing Injections

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 10:26 PM
Just a question.

Why are "pain killing injections" legal but "performance enhancing drugs" aren't?

Keep in mind, performance enhancing drugs include drugs that aid in weight loss & aids the body in recovery.

Hookem Horns
09-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Just a question.

Why are "pain killing injections" legal but "performance enhancing drugs" aren't?

Keep in mind, performance enhancing drugs include drugs that aid in weight loss & aids the body in recovery.

I am sure Brian Cushing wonders the same thing.

TheCD
09-29-2011, 12:26 PM
I've always wondered this. I think the simplest (and unfortunately, dumbest) answer is that it keeps star players on the field for the fans to watch.

The fact is, it is performance enhancing. But I think the logic is that if the players are in so much pain they have to have a painkiller, it can't possibly heighten their performance from their uninjured state.

You know, integrity of the game, yada yada yada...all that stuff that Congress should be letting the leagues decide while they work on actual important matters.

infantrycak
09-29-2011, 12:37 PM

I believe you have a misconception. Drugs are on the banned list because they either enhance performance like steroids or are used as adjuncts to prepare or recover from steroids for example the hcg Cushing tested positive for. Weight loss and supplements aren't banned. There is a list of those the players shouldn't use because they contain drugs on the banned list Most weight loss and supplements are totally fine with the NFL. There is also an approved list. That's where the Williams got in trouble. They took a supplement which contained a banned substance but was not listed on the label but it also wasn't on the approved list so the NFL said "well you took the chance."

Carr Bombed
09-29-2011, 10:06 PM
Just a question.

Umm, I don't know...because it doesn't "enhance your normal playing ability".

Cocaine and advil both kill pain also, but one gives you superior strength. See where I'm going with this? I'm not about to throw advil in the same class as a illegal drug and I'm not going to include some simple everyday used cortizone shot in the same class as illegal P.E.D's

Hell without cortizone shots teams wouldn't be able to field a sufficient squad for a entire season.....the league can easily get by without P.E.D's. That's enough difference alone.

Txn_in_Oki
09-29-2011, 10:29 PM
Cocaine and advil both kill pain killers too, but one gives you superior strength.

Superior strength!?!?! I need to buy more Advil.

welsh texan
09-30-2011, 02:09 PM
I believe you have a misconception. Drugs are on the banned list because they either enhance performance like steroids or are used as adjuncts to prepare or recover from steroids for example the hcg Cushing tested positive for. Weight loss and supplements aren't banned. There is a list of those the players shouldn't use because they contain drugs on the banned list Most weight loss and supplements are totally fine with the NFL. There is also an approved list. That's where the Williams got in trouble. They took a supplement which contained a banned substance but was not listed on the label but it also wasn't on the approved list so the NFL said "well, wait until you retire and then we'll ban you."

FIFY (well, for one of them anyway)

JamesBill
10-02-2011, 04:42 PM
the injections are more harmful

The Pencil Neck
10-02-2011, 06:52 PM
I've been asking this for years.

If I can't run and then get an injection to kill my pain and it allows me to urn, that -- to me -- is performance enhancing.

(And the HCG that Cushing was suspended for is also widely used as a weight-loss supplement.)