PDA

View Full Version : Will Steve Slaton ever pass....

El Tejano
09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
the line of scrimmage?

Seriously I'm beginning to wonder. Handing off to him is a serious waste of a down. I can't believe that we had Ogbannaya who maybe wasn't averaging 4 ypc in the preseason but was averaging something and we refuse to even give him his due opportunity because Steve Slaton has the most effective fall at the LOS.

It's not his fault we lossed but I'm getting tired of SS just getting the handoff and falling down like Kareem Jackson.

mussop
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
the line of scrimmage?

Seriously I'm beginning to wonder. Handing off to him is a serious waste of a down. I can't believe that we had Ogbannaya who maybe wasn't averaging 4 ypc in the preseason but was averaging something and we refuse to even give him his due opportunity because Steve Slaton has the most effective fall at the LOS.

It's not his fault we lossed but I'm getting tired of SS just getting the handoff and falling down like Kareem Jackson.

NO! Cut his ass now and use the roster spot for someone that deserves it.

gtexan02
09-26-2011, 10:01 AM
the line of scrimmage?

Seriously?
The guy had 4 carries.

Thorn
09-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Slaton is not what he used to be. That doesn't mean we have someone better than him to bring in. 4th string RBs that can actually do something worthwhile are not 4th string. If ya know what I mean.

Cjeremy635
09-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I was surprised that they didn't try to use him more on screen passes when he was in the game. IIRC, that was his strong suit. SS could catch the ball in space and then pick up some decent YAC. I thought that's how we should have used him instead of him running straight into his blockers EVERY time. I know for a fact that he had a cut back lane and just completely missed it. Instead, he just flowed down the line of scrimmage until everything just collapsed on him. I wish he still had "IT", but apparently it's gone and "IT" isn't coming back. Whether that's confidence or something else, it's just not working for the guy anymore.

XI CMURDER IX
09-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Seriously?
The guy had 4 carries.

Meanwhile, on 4 carries earlier in the game Ben Tate had 20 yards.

False Start
09-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I thought you were going to ask about a half back pass. Slaton has lost it, and I just dont think he will ever be the same he was that 1 year. :choke:

El Tejano
09-26-2011, 11:09 AM
I was surprised that they didn't try to use him more on screen passes when he was in the game. IIRC, that was his strong suit. SS could catch the ball in space and then pick up some decent YAC. I thought that's how we should have used him instead of him running straight into his blockers EVERY time. I know for a fact that he had a cut back lane and just completely missed it. Instead, he just flowed down the line of scrimmage until everything just collapsed on him. I wish he still had "IT", but apparently it's gone and "IT" isn't coming back. Whether that's confidence or something else, it's just not working for the guy anymore.

When I saw him come in, I was thinking screen play all day. I mean that is how you handle a blitz right?

gtexan02
09-26-2011, 11:11 AM
Meanwhile, on 4 carries earlier in the game Ben Tate had 20 yards.

No he didn't. Tates first 4 carries were for a total of 15 yards, 11 of which came on one run. His other 3 totaled 4 yards

Rey
09-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Steve is more effective as a bulk carry guy...

Mainly because eventually a blind squirrel finds a nut. And that fits steve perfectly. Terrible vision.

TEXANS84
09-26-2011, 11:44 AM
NO! Cut his ass now and use the roster spot for someone that deserves it.

Agreed. The Steve Slaton experiment has left the building.

Time to bring Chris O up, he proved himself in the preseason.

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Slaton needs to get better coming off the bench. But, I bet he's got a confidence issue. If you see how they use him, putting him in the game against Miami, but then calling a time out so you can get Tate back in the game...

Getting him in the game needs to be a little more planned, & not just off the hip. If you don't think he can get the job done, regardless of the situation, you either need to put more thought into when & why you are putting him in there, or cut him.

I wonder what it's going to be like when Ward or Foster comes back in the game. I think the team(coach) is more confident with Ward, so he probably won't care too much about the situation.

But if Foster's in there, we probably won't see Tate or Ward until the game is well in hand, which the way we play defense may not happen too often.

But instead of looking at Slaton like a back up running back, he needs to be looked at as another option. Like the Saints did with Sproles. I'm not saying that Slaton is Sproles, only that he should be used in that fashion.

The Saints got 3 running backs involved in that game & two of the three were productive. This offense has been together long enough to be able to throw plays for Casey/Slaton in to loosen things up.

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
Time to bring Chris O up, he proved himself in the preseason.

Kinda like Brooks Reed did right?

Corrosion
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM

Good post -

They havent played to Slatons strong suit since in his most recent oppportunities (going back to last year).

Slatons a guy who needs to get outside to do his damage. Seems to me he wants to break every run for a big one instead of taking whats there on the cut back.
Screens and runs outside the tackles is where Slaton made his mark before .... With Tate and Foster .... those two can make positive yards anywhere on the field.

HOU-TEX
09-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Dude's completely lost his vision. It's almost like a Junior High RB, where he's told to hit the hole that's called on the play. He hits the hole no matter if it's there or not. Ending with him running up the backs of the Oline.

Rey
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
But instead of looking at Slaton like a back up running back, he needs to be looked at as another option. Like the Saints did with Sproles. I'm not saying that Slaton is Sproles, only that he should be used in that fashion.

Slaton doesn't have the the vision or manuverability that Sproles has.

SS needs for the hole to be where he is running...He is not going to find the hole...Give it to him in volume though and he will bust some long ones eventually...

Only thing is, he is not good enough to get a bulk of the carries. He really isn't good enough to get any carries when everyone is healthy.

Personally, I think we should dump him and use the extra roster spot on someone else.

Joique Bell is a guy who I'd look at. I really like his game.

TexanSam
09-26-2011, 02:32 PM
What happened to him? He was really good his rookie season but hasn't played anywhere near that level since then.

Vinny
09-26-2011, 02:40 PM
he never really had great vision. If you give him a big hole he can explode through it, but if you ask him to find a crease like Foster or Tate....he just ain't in their league.

silvrhand
09-26-2011, 02:54 PM
he never really had great vision. If you give him a big hole he can explode through it, but if you ask him to find a crease like Foster or Tate....he just ain't in their league.

There are quite a few running backs that aren't the one cut and go, that would have never excelled in the zone blocking scheme.

I wonder how Barry Sanders would have done in the zone blocking scheme.. or better yet Bo Jackson.. I could easily see Bo Jackson + zone blocking scheme.. that would have been interesting to watch.

Marcus
09-26-2011, 04:37 PM
I can't figure out why Slaton wasn't cut, considering that he never played a down in preseason.

I don't care what Slaton did that one year. He's not the same. Maybe it's blitz protection that he's better at than Chris Ogbonnaya, I dunno.

Corrosion
09-26-2011, 04:53 PM
I can't figure out why Slaton wasn't cut, considering that he never played a down in preseason.

I don't care what Slaton did that one year. He's not the same. Maybe it's blitz protection that he's better at than Chris Ogbonnaya, I dunno.

They want to get something in return for him .... He was a 3rd round pick.

He can still be an effective RB in the NFL if he's put in situations he excells at.

Eventually there will be a contending team who will be short handed at RB and think that Slaton can fill the void .... they'll get a return on their investment rather than letting him go for nothing.

Also consider the injury status of the other backs on the roster - Foster with his not so awesome hammy , Ward has had a concussion and now a bum ankle .... Tate was knicked up Sunday.
If the three guys ahead of Slaton arent hurting , he may well have been cut out of camp .....

Several reasons Slaton is still taking up a roster spot.

The1ApplePie
09-26-2011, 05:04 PM

Foster, Tate, and OB are essentially the same back with a varying of talent. Going by his first year, Slaton brings an different skillset to the table that the other don't.

He should be used in the Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles fashion. Him not assuming that role is either due his own declining ability or the fact that the Texans have never been creative on offense to begin with.

Rey
09-27-2011, 06:40 PM
Foster, Tate, and OB are essentially the same back with a varying of talent. Going by his first year, Slaton brings an different skillset to the table that the other don't.

He should be used in the Reggie Bush/Darren Sproles fashion. Him not assuming that role is either due his own declining ability or the fact that the Texans have never been creative on offense to begin with.

Slaton is not as good as Sproles.

Reggie Bush isn't all that either, but I think in the open field he is better than Slaton.

Not sure why people think he can play that kind of role when he doesn't make people miss and doesn't have great vision.

El Tejano
09-28-2011, 08:34 AM
Looks like we got the answer last night.