PDA

View Full Version : Stat Guys: Research Request - Dre Johnson Targets

Runner
09-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Can someone tell me how often Dre gets targeted by half? He seems to get the team rolling in first halves and becomes downfield blocker/decoy extraordinaire in second halves.

This may just be my perception, so I'd like to see some hard numbers.

Kimmy
09-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Can someone tell me how often Dre gets targeted by half? He seems to get the team rolling in first halves and becomes downfield blocker/decoy extraordinaire in second halves.

This may just be my perception, so I'd like to see some hard numbers.

That's simply because we don't play 60 minutes of football.

If we are winning, we run the ball to drain the clock. If we are losing, Schaub hurls it down and throws an interception.

It's also because AJ is a BEAST and gets double coverage

But, I'll check my stats ;)

rmartin65
09-25-2011, 05:23 PM
It seems like that too me as well. I am very interested to see the stat breakdown.

eriadoc
09-25-2011, 05:33 PM
I'd like to see how many times he's targeted int he red zone. Watching highlights on NFLN right now, and I have a hard time believing that AJ couldn't be used in many of the same ways that Calvin Johnson is used. CJ has 18 TDs in his last 18 games, and close to 40 TDs for his career. I refuse to believe that AJ couldn't do that. But I guess I'm not the one that needs convincing; Kubiak is.

Runner
09-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Anybody?

jtexas
09-26-2011, 10:21 PM
vs Saints
1 Half: 6 targets, 5 rec 104 yards
2 Half: 6 targets, 1 rec 24 yards

vs Dolphins
1 Half: 6 targets, 5 rec 63 yards
2 Half: 3 targets, 2 rec 30 yards

vs Colts
1 Half: 8 targets, 6 rec 89 yards
2 Half: 3 targets, 1 rec 6 yards

I think the bigger story is the lack of plays drawn up for Walter and Jones. Andre was being doubled the whole second half, yet we are trying to squeeze it in on downs we shouldn't.

Naiirb
09-27-2011, 01:09 AM
vs Saints
I think the bigger story is the lack of plays drawn up for Walter and Jones. Andre was being doubled the whole second half, yet we are trying to squeeze it in on downs we shouldn't.

Yea from visiting other teams forums before we face theme, seems outside of Andre they cant even name our other recievers.

Runner
09-27-2011, 08:40 AM
vs Saints
1 Half: 6 targets, 5 rec 104 yards
2 Half: 6 targets, 1 rec 24 yards

vs Dolphins
1 Half: 6 targets, 5 rec 63 yards
2 Half: 3 targets, 2 rec 30 yards

vs Colts
1 Half: 8 targets, 6 rec 89 yards
2 Half: 3 targets, 1 rec 6 yards

Thanks.

Targets down, yardage waaay down.

I'm not sure about the double team angle though. Doesn't he get double teamed in the first half? Don't all top receivers receive similar coverage, and do their numbers plummet in second halves?

BigBull17
09-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I liked the bubble screen on 3rd down. Would love to see that in the redzone. What I don't get, however, is a reverse to him. He gets way too much attention for a reverse to be super sucessful.

Speedy
09-27-2011, 01:53 PM
This is where stats can be misleading. You had a big lead in the Colts game and didn't need to pass. And I believe they ran the ball a lot in the 4th against Miami.

Where was he in the 2nd half Sunday? Don't know. One target to AJ on the statsheet was the INT. So there's that too.

Runner
09-27-2011, 07:27 PM
This is where stats can be misleading. You had a big lead in the Colts game and didn't need to pass. And I believe they ran the ball a lot in the 4th against Miami.

Where was he in the 2nd half Sunday? Don't know. One target to AJ on the statsheet was the INT. So there's that too.

I noticed the same disparity last year. I'm convinced it's a trend, although there are reasons for some specific instances.