PDA

View Full Version : We lost this game because....

prostock101
09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
...our defense is not as good as we hoped it was. We got no pressure on Brees and he is a great QB that will eventually find his receivers.

Ask any team in this league if they'd take 33 points and over 450 yards of offense before you start the game and I guarantee they would all take it without question.

Offense is fine. Defense needs to get better.

We're 2-1 and it's a long season. The naysayers need to get a grip......

Kimmy
09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
The Saints scored more points than we did.

Surreal McCoy
09-25-2011, 04:40 PM
...our defense is not as good as we hoped it was. We got no pressure on Brees and he is a great QB that will eventually find his receivers.

Ask any team in this league if they'd take 33 points and over 450 yards of offense before you start the game and I guarantee they would all take it without question.

You mean it wasn't Schaub? Or Koobs calling the INT play? Or Tate getting stuffed every time he ran inside the 20's? Man I'm confused :kitten:

CretorFrigg
09-25-2011, 04:41 PM
We lost this game because of a variety things. It's not fair to place the blame on one aspect of the team.

EllisUnit
09-25-2011, 04:42 PM

yes BUT, well there is no but. We need to step it up on defense in the 2nd half. First half good blitz packages lots of pressure, the 2nd half no blitz and no pressure.

MEGA SWATT
09-25-2011, 04:44 PM
We lost b/c we did not have a healthy AF, in rhythm crossing his defenders and scoring in the redzone.

Lack of this celebration, = loss.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0919/pg2_g_afoster1_sy_300.jpg

badboy
09-25-2011, 04:46 PM

We're 2-1 and it's a long season. The naysayers need to get a grip......A poster that identifies what is wrong is not necessarily a naysayer. We were up by 9 points in 4th and defense just ran out of gas. Matt was all over the place with his passes, KJ gave up a TD that could have been defended. AJ should have gotten a call on the goal line pass but did not....

I said 15-1 but thought loss would be Steelers. I now think we can take them if Wade can get the DBs to play a bit better.

WesmanTexanfan
09-25-2011, 04:47 PM

our red zone offense put our 2nd half deffense in a bad position

Atl Cav
09-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Wow....Some sanity prevails. We have 10 more games to win.

prostock101
09-25-2011, 05:03 PM
My point was being directed at all the blame being placed on Schaub and Kub.

We lost a shootout against a very good Saints team on their turf. If we could have gotten a couple stops we win the game.

That being said, I think our defense will have a better showing against teams that are not as good offensively as the Saints which is pretty much the rest of our schedule.

My biggest concern is KJ........

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 05:05 PM

That's definitely one of the keys..... But that pressure you're taking abut, wasn't there in the second half. We need to find out what happened there. When the Saints went 5 wide, we didn't have an answer.

Trail.Blazr
09-25-2011, 05:10 PM
KAREEM JACKSON.

There are many contributing factors, but the underlying truth is when the game was on the line, Brees was able to throw on KJ with zero concern. First down, first down, first down.. score!

If not for Kareem, this game is won handily by the Texans.

texanhead08
09-25-2011, 05:14 PM

best reason i heard all day

fiasco west
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM

I'd say our defense is average...not great or elite yet which is obvious.

Today's game showed that.

Spled
09-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Giving away 2 2 point conversions didn't help. A negative 5 yard drive with the game on the line isn't exactly clutch play. Even the last td to Walter was Schaub trying to throw an interception.

edo783
09-25-2011, 08:03 PM
yes BUT, well there is no but. We need to step it up on defense in the 2nd half. First half good blitz packages lots of pressure, the 2nd half no blitz and no pressure.

That is because at the half or shortly there after, NO identified K-Jack as a total loss at DB and that they could take advantage of him at will. From that point on, Wade stopped trying to pressure, because K-Jack had been found out to not hold up in man for even a couple of seconds. Drew is just too good at finding his guy and too quick in getting the ball out of his hand once he does. The back end HAS to be able to hold up for 2-3 seconds in man if you're going to bring the pressure and against a good quick slant receiver ....... we are toast.

Texn4life
09-25-2011, 08:08 PM
That is because at the half or shortly there after, NO identified K-Jack as a total loss at DB and that they could take advantage of him at will. From that point on, Wade stopped trying to pressure, because K-Jack had been found out to not hold up in man for even a couple of seconds. Drew is just too good at finding his guy and too quick in getting the ball out of his hand once he does. The back end HAS to be able to hold up for 2-3 seconds in man if you're going to bring the pressure and against a good quick slant receiver ....... we are toast.

Really? Is that what you saw? Wow dude, you are way off if you think they were picking on K-Jax....... Brees picked on everybody in the 2nd half. JJo got beat for multiple passes, but if we can't get pressure on the QB up the middle then nothing else will matter. Brees was way too comfortable in the 2nd half. Blitzes weren't getting to him at all.

Corrosion
09-25-2011, 08:50 PM

I'd have to give part a large part of the blame to an offense that couldnt get the job done in the red zone. They have had that problem a lot this year.

The defense giving up 30 in the second half .... omg flashbacks to last year. :gun:

Hervoyel
09-25-2011, 08:52 PM
I'd have to give part a large part of the blame to an offense that couldnt get the job done in the red zone. They have had that problem a lot this year.

The defense giving up 30 in the second half .... omg flashbacks to last year. :gun:

Exactly, one side sets up the other. The offense takes advantage of the defense playing well early and gets way up on the Saints (TD's instead of FG's) and later in the game the defense can play from ahead and pin their ears back in this case. It's all tied together.

Nawzer
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Although I place this loss squarely on Kubiak, some of the things me and a few others have noticed in the first 2 games with the defense came back to haunt us today. The inconsistent pass rush, the secondary, giving up big plays through the middle of the field are some of them.

hradhak
09-25-2011, 09:04 PM
We lost for a lot of reasons. Anytime you score 33 points you should expect to win. Our team is not equipped to win shootouts. But we had the chance to win my converting more in the red zone. Had we done that, we could have let the air out of the ball in the second half and not have forced the defense to be one the field for most of the 4th.

I was not thrilled by how the defense played down the stretch, but we had a chance to win this game by putting it away early and that's something I think can get better with Foster coming back

TejasTom
09-25-2011, 09:05 PM

Defense flashbacks to last year, offense red zone flashbacks to 2009.

markn
09-25-2011, 09:06 PM
Poor coverage in second half. Poor red-zone efficiency. AF may have helped the latter.

This game probably represents our current level: not quite good enough to beat an elite team on the road. We are who we are.

Allstar
09-25-2011, 09:08 PM
We couldn't get pressure on Brees.
Foster not being there hurts our red zone production. A LOT.
Schaub looked shell-shocked at times, hostile road environment probably had to do a lot with that.

Corrosion
09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Although I place this loss squarely on Kubiak, some of the things me and a few others have noticed in the first 2 games with the defense came back to haunt us today. The inconsistent pass rush, the secondary, giving up big plays through the middle of the field are some of them.

You can blame Kubiak for a 26-17 lead in the 4th quarter too ....

They didnt get out coached , they got out played in that 4th quarter.

Schaub's inability to execute in the red zone ..... Three trips within the opponents 10 yard line and and you come away with 9 freakin points.

KJ getting his lunch monay taken by Moore .... all day long (while Jackson was talkin smack to Moore , wonder if which one of them feels like an idiot now).

The offense didnt do the defense any favors going three and out at a crutial time and an interception that lead to points .....

Yeah , blame Kubiak.

80tothezone
09-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Honestly though(and I hate to play this card) there were like 50 holding penalties that didn't get called. The facemask they called against their gaurd was the 4th one I saw. Like I said I hate to play the card because if that happened tonight it can happen anywhere and might happen till we start winning more.

prostock101
09-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Like I said, we get a couple stops in the second half we win the game. You can pick apart the offense all day long but if you offered that performance to any team in the league they would jump on it.

We'll see next week if Wade can rally the troops. The Colts are givin' the Steelers all they can handle as we speak. Seems like we blew out the Colts and nobody was complain' about the offense then......

Playoffs
09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
5 words...

Settled for a field goal.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 10:58 PM
Honestly though(and I hate to play this card) there were like 50 holding penalties that didn't get called. The facemask they called against their gaurd was the 4th one I saw. Like I said I hate to play the card because if that happened tonight it can happen anywhere and might happen till we start winning more.

I thought the referees was just letting them play. I don't know why they called the ones they did, & not some of the ones they didn't.

That facemask against Cushing, that was dangerous & should have called it. That "push off" from Casey, that was bull.... the defenseless receiver on Manning, bull... they didn't call the PI with Andre in the endzone, but they didn't call that PI with JJo on Meachum.

For the most part, I like the no calls.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 11:00 PM
5 words...

Settled for a field goal.

We took a lead into the 4th qtr...... we scored 14 points in the 4th qtr...

We still should have won.

EllisUnit
09-25-2011, 11:03 PM

agree, this one was on the defense. i mean yes we should of Def scored more in the redzone, but come on the D gave up 27 points in the 4th

Corrosion
09-25-2011, 11:04 PM

A turn over , a piss poor punt and a 3 and out ..... didnt help matters.

Gotta Know
09-25-2011, 11:37 PM

Very true.

The punt goes out at the Texans 49 where the defense must defend a short field against one of the best offenses in the NFL.

Offense throws an INT. and the Saints again start on the Texans side of the field.

The three and out cluster was icing on the cake.

For those people thinking there was a lack of pass rush, please revisit the second half and check the time between the snap and Brees release. If a QB like Brees can throw quick routes to a primary receiver there will never be an adequate pass rush because the rush isn't the problem.

JCTexan
09-25-2011, 11:41 PM

This. I don't know if anyone else felt this way, but I felt the momentum of the game shift the Saints way on that 34-yard punt that gave the New Orleans offense fantastic field position. That & the interception did help give the Saints fifteen points in a span of just over two minutes.

WesmanTexanfan
09-26-2011, 12:00 AM

true, but teams appear dominant by putting it away when they have the chance....

80tothezone
09-26-2011, 12:17 AM
I thought the referees was just letting them play. I don't know why they called the ones they did, & not some of the ones they didn't.

That facemask against Cushing, that was dangerous & should have called it. That "push off" from Casey, that was bull.... the defenseless receiver on Manning, bull... they didn't call the PI with Andre in the enndzone, but they didn't call that PI with JJo on Meachum.

For the most part, I like the no calls.hold all

Yeh but our d jdepends on pressure when they canhold all night....it makes abig difference ... I Would besurprised if this doesn't get brought to the league

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Gotta Know
09-26-2011, 09:54 AM
hold all

Yeh but our d jdepends on pressure when they canhold all night....it makes abig difference ... I Would besurprised if this doesn't get brought to the league

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The Saints did a very nice job of concealing holds by wrapping and grabbing. Go back and check. When they are beat, they wrap for a count then slide off the hold. This should be called but is difficult to see in real time. It worked well last night because it allowed some big plays that were going to be stops by Texans D.

If the NFL doesn't call these, then the Texans O-Line should take note and make the transition to the new reality. HOLDING will not be called if you do it correctly.

Corrosion
09-26-2011, 09:10 PM
"As a group, we didn't play well in the fourth quarter," Kubiak said. "We weren't as aggressive in our coverage in the fourth quarter.

He's spot on .... too many 7-10 yard cushions to recievers .... makes it easy for a QB like Brees to move the ball.

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 09:15 PM
He's spot on .... too many 7-10 yard cushions to recievers .... makes it easy for a QB like Brees to move the ball.

I like how he said as a group.... that covers everything we've been saying here. The DL, the LBs, the Secondary... even the offense.

He never really got specific about how he was going to fix that epic fail (the whole team failed in the 4th).

hmmmm...

steelbtexan
09-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Halftime adjustments by the Saints worked, the Texans not so much.

We as fans should come to expect as much after 5.2 yrs.

badboy
09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
I like how he said as a group.... that covers everything we've been saying here. The DL, the LBs, the Secondary... even the offense.

He never really got specific about how he was going to fix that epic fail (the whole team failed in the 4th).

hmmmm...But Kubiak has never said well that player screwed up and he will ride the bench if he does not do better.

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Halftime adjustments by the Saints worked, the Texans not so much.

We as fans should come to expect as much after 5.2 yrs.

Because we outscored everybody & their mother in the second half of every game last year.

EllisUnit
09-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Because we outscored everybody & their mother in the second half of every game last year.

Yeah but we did all our scoring in the first half this year, its been like this after 3 games, hope it changes and we can score in both halves.

steelbtexan
09-26-2011, 10:48 PM

It's a new yr brother,

Hopefully after 5.2 yrs it gets better. The halftime adjustments haven't been good this yr. IMHO

ObsiWan
09-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah but we did all our scoring in the first half this year, its been like this after 3 games, hope it changes and we can score in both halves.

Actually we scored 16 in the first half and 17 in the second half. that's pretty balanced.

As Kubiak said on his show today, the defensive guys didn't execute the calls aggressively. Wade called for man-to-man in the fourth qtr, which should have resulted in the DBs jamming the Saints WRs at the line. Instead, the DBs reverted to last year's habits and gave 3-5 yd cushions. In other words, they ignored their coaching and got burned because of it.

EllisUnit
09-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Actually we scored 16 in the first half and 17 in the second half. that's pretty balanced.

As Kubiak said on his show today, the defensive guys didn't execute the calls aggressively. Wade called for man-to-man in the fourth qtr, which should have resulted in the DBs jamming the Saints WRs at the line. Instead, the DBs reverted to last year's habits and gave 3-5 yd cushions. In other words, they ignored their coaching and got burned because of it.

we scored most of those when we were coming from behind. IF not for settiling for field goals it would have been much more lopsided. Colts we didnt score anymore, and the dolphins we scored once. It just appears to me AS OF NOW we are a first half team.

Norg
09-26-2011, 11:14 PM
We cant score TD is the redzone

and

Or D cant hold nobody

and

Our ST on D still sucks

hookinreds
09-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Schaub's accuracy was in the same place as KJ's coverage...somewhere besides the field. Honestly, can anyone make a 7-10 yard cushion look like 40 yards better than KJ? Moore catches the ball, uses the ball as a pillow for a 20 minute nap, wakes up and has some milk and cookies before KJ can get there to lick up the crumbs. I couldn't believe that NO took that long to go after him. But then again they had him in their hip pocket and pulled that Ace out when they needed it. I was also surprised that they didn't take the ball up the middle more than they did, they could have had their way with us for at least 4yds a carry all day. I was honestly shocked when Joseph go fooled on the same route in the same place for the same result. He had a good game, just shocked with that one. I also thought we could have been more aggressive with our blitzes and come with more than just 5. What happened with putting the ball through the uprights on the kickoff too, did we get a dead leg in NO or did they just fire up the AC on that end of the field. Sproles should not have touched the ball anywhere closer than 8 yards deep. Now that I say this about the Texans, there's an equal amount of failures that I could say about the Saints as well. For one...#80, he's good and you should really put someone on him from time to time. Losing this guy in the middle of your secondary is a very hard thing to do, but you found a way to do it. I thought there was some good play calling on the offensive side of the ball for the Texans based on what NO was showing. Quite a few key plays were dropped or piss poor passes that were rushed or underthrown. Oh...1-5 in the Red Zone...at worste case there should be another 8 points on the board and a W.

thunderkyss
09-27-2011, 07:26 AM

In the most recent game, we scored 16 in the first half, 17 in the second half.

Against Miami we scored 16 in the first half, 7 in the second

drunkcookie
09-27-2011, 08:17 AM
As i said in another thread, this game didn't tell me anything about our d... Brees and the Saints carved up the Pack and da Burs as well, and those are two good Ds... Maybe we're in good company? Hell i dunno...

Im not happy about it, amd won't say our defense will be fine because i don't know either way, but seeing who did it to them i'm going to be realistic and wait and see...

HJam72
09-27-2011, 08:46 AM
First time we had a 4th and 2 in the redzone, we should have gone for it. We didn't. I'm not saying most coaches would, but that's one where we should have. Later on, we had at least one other one that we would have choked on if we'd gone for it.

Question: If the DBs were giving cushions instead of stuffing (or at least trying to) the receivers at the line like they were supposed to, then why don't the coaches verbally rip them a new one at the end of each play where they don't do what they're supposed to??? Why put up with that? You call a play and they just do something else? Screw that. These guys get paid too much for that crap.

steelbtexan
09-27-2011, 09:04 AM
In the most recent game, we scored 16 in the first half, 17 in the second half.

Against Miami we scored 16 in the first half, 7 in the second

It took an immaculate reception to score that Walter TD.

Was that in the gameplan? LOL

steelbtexan
09-27-2011, 09:14 AM
First time we had a 4th and 2 in the redzone, we should have gone for it. We didn't. I'm not saying most coaches would, but that's one where we should have. Later on, we had at least one other one that we would have choked on if we'd gone for it.

Question: If the DBs were giving cushions instead of stuffing (or at least trying to) the receivers at the line like they were supposed to, then why don't the coaches verbally rip them a new one at the end of each play where they don't do what they're supposed to??? Why put up with that? You call a play and they just do something else? Screw that. These guys get paid too much for that crap.

That was a coaches call and I dont disagree with taking the points. But I see your point.

The 2nd point is this is just another undisiplined Gary coached team. When the players refuse to play whatever defense is called that's on the coaches. Gary should bench whoever is freelancing. If this continues the Texans are in for another long yr. It's sad that Gary aired his dirty in public. This really shows Gary is a poor leader and not much has changed with the disicipline structure on the Texans.

thunderkyss
09-27-2011, 12:26 PM

We ***** (and when I say we, I don't really mean "me") when Kubiak calls them kids.

But we want to treat them like kids. I don't get it.

There has got to be a way to address the situation with an adult & get your point across. Maybe I'm naive...