PDA

View Full Version : Texans Just Don't Beat Contending Teams...

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 04:27 PM
who are fighting for playoff berths, and are not resting starters.

This is the very reason this team has never been 3-0, NOR have
they EVER been 3 games over .500.

We just watched the frickin' BILLS beat a CONTENDING TEAM to go
3-0 for the first time in forever. The frickin LIONS just went 3-0.
SHEEEeeeesssshhhhh!!!

I started this season in a wait-and-see mode with this squad, because
WE ALL KNOW Kubiak should've been fired THREE SEASONS AGO!

Go ahead. Enjoy EVERY stat except a win.

redwhiteANDblue
09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
This

Big Lou
09-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Come on man.........

Losses suck but the sky isn't falling.

TexansForTheW
09-25-2011, 04:30 PM

3-0 for the first time in forever.

There should be a 30 minute time period where the moderator cuts off the ability to make threads. Remember opening season last year? Calm down, we lost by 7 to a team that is a superbowl threat every year.

TheMatrix31
09-25-2011, 04:31 PM
There should be a 30 minute time period where the moderator cuts off the ability to make threads. Remember opening season last year? Calm down, we lost by 7 to a team that is a superbowl threat every year.

Without the NFL's leading rusher.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 04:33 PM

Read again.

Kubiak should've been fired THREE SEASONS AGO.

It's Deja Vu all over. When this team goes 3 games over .500 (the only
way to do so is to beat at least ONE contending team,) then my tune
will change. This game is more-of-the-same, and so are my comments.

BullNation4Life
09-25-2011, 04:33 PM

This is the problem, they lost by 7 and had 4 other opportunities to score TDs in the redzone, 2 of them from the 3 yard line...

That is why they are 2-1 and not 3-0...

BullNation4Life
09-25-2011, 04:34 PM

shouldn't need the league leading rusher to score from the 3 yard line and they had 2 opportunities to do so and failed twice...

ATXtexanfan
09-25-2011, 04:35 PM

SHEEEeeeesssshhhhh!!!

i'm feeling you bro, schaub sucks but dont tell anyone here in a qb driven league

Brandon420tx
09-25-2011, 04:35 PM
APOCALYPSE now

Atl Cav
09-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Read again.

Man, this is truly an over-reaction. Remember the Saints are 2-1 as well, losing to a good team themselves.

Give Wade a bit more time - we are on the way with the defense, we will get better.

And Foster would have helped.

No disrespect intended, but I am hoping the coaches keep things positive. This is a good club.

TheMatrix31
09-25-2011, 04:38 PM
shouldn't need the league leading rusher to score from the 3 yard line and they had 2 opportunities to do so and failed twice...

That's why he's the NFL Leading Rusher. You DO need him to do that. When you don't have an adequate backup behind Tate, they can beat the hell out of our run offense.

Proudtexan25
09-25-2011, 04:38 PM

AND with the severe homecooking the refs were giving them

TexansForTheW
09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
This is the problem, they lost by 7 and had 4 other opportunities to score TDs in the redzone, 2 of them from the 3 yard line...

That is why they are 2-1 and not 3-0...

Were we outclassed like previous years? Hell no.
Did we miss the leagues leading rusher from last year? Hell yeah we did.

I saw positives out there tonight. We are an Arian Foster away from scoring touchdowns on those red zone attempts. Sorry but the OP can't bring my mood down. He made a poor thread in my opinion. Drew Brees torches every defense. Get over it.

TexanSam
09-25-2011, 04:39 PM
It's been a trend. I'm hoping that this is one of the few we lose this year against good teams but we'll see.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 04:40 PM

SHEEEeeeesssshhhhh!!!

I'll give you credit for laying low until now.

I'd appreciate it if you take your fake ass fandom else where until we start beating these teams.

It would suck if that never happens & we don't ever hear from you again.... but oh well.

Take one for the team man.

TexansForTheW
09-25-2011, 04:41 PM
I predicted we would lose and beat Pittsburg next week, which we will. So honestly, some of you guys need to freaking take a chill pill. The Patriots lost to the Bills today. Stop boo hooing. Be proud that your team should have won this game because they played well enough to do so.

TejasTom
09-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Schaub lost this game. Too many passes behind receiver.

BattleRedToro
09-25-2011, 04:47 PM
I predicted we would lose and beat Pittsburg next week, which we will. So honestly, some of you guys need to freaking take a chill pill. The Patriots lost to the Bills today. Stop boo hooing. Be proud that your team should have won this game because they played well enough to do so.

Are the Texans going to beat the h out of Pittsburgh?

BullNation4Life
09-25-2011, 04:48 PM

10 years of "should have won" gets beyond old and trite....Time to turn those "should a could a" into "did and will" for wins...

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Man, this is truly an over-reaction. Remember the Saints are 2-1 as well, losing to a good team themselves.

Give Wade a bit more time - we are on the way with the defense, we will get better.

And Foster would have helped.

No disrespect intended, but I am hoping the coaches keep things positive. This is a good club.

My comments are in the context of ALL SIX of Kubiak's seasons here.
Within this context, my stance becomes crystal clear.

BullNation4Life
09-25-2011, 04:50 PM
That's why he's the NFL Leading Rusher. You DO need him to do that. When you don't have an adequate backup behind Tate, they can beat the hell out of our run offense.

sorry no excuse for not punching it in from 3 yards with a back like Tate...horrible execution and playcalling...

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 04:50 PM

The Saints were without their best receiver and their All-Pro
middle linebacker. Cry me a river.

Porky
09-25-2011, 04:51 PM
If anyone deserves to get the ax today, it's Wade Phillips. If that D was any
more vanilla, he would have to open a Dairy Queen at the 20 yard line. :gun:

EllisUnit
09-25-2011, 04:51 PM
sorry no excuse for not punching it in from 3 yards with a back like Tate...horrible execution and playcalling...

agree settling for so many FGs is not acceptable. especially witht the running game we have.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Were we outclassed like previous years? Hell no.

Giving up 23 4th-quarter points, throwing interceptions, and sacking yourself
during nut-cutting time just like previous years?

Hell YES.

TexansForTheW
09-25-2011, 04:53 PM
My comments are in the context of ALL SIX of Kubiak's seasons here.
Within this context, my stance becomes crystal clear.

I'm one of the firm believers that players make their own fate. Honestly, Kubiak is a great offensive play caller. Point is, he didn't have his elite rb to make plays in the redzone like he did last year. Didn't Arian have the most Td's out of the rb's and wr's last year. And if you want to look at it this way. The game changing play was Tates drop on first down in our first 4th quarter drive. He makes that catch, and were well on our way to scoring more points.

False Start
09-25-2011, 04:54 PM
If that D was any
more vanilla, he would have to open a Dairy Queen at the 20 yard line. :gun:

Yep. I was just cringing every time the Saints threw the ball. It was almost a guaranteed 8-10 yards. Then they went back to the giving up first downs on third and long.

HTown2ATX
09-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Anyone saying "we only lost by 7"....I don't understand how you see that. Yeah, that was the score, but our red zone offense was piss poor...we were dominating this game....

How many games and times have you seen this song and fuqng dance.

No, the sky is not falling....but seriously....a lot of the same old shit.

TexCanada
Wade Phillips has had 3 games. THREE. 3.

TexansForTheW

Hell YES.

It's almost impossible to debate with ignorant people. You must be one of those people that hold grudges. If you think we were outclassed then I can't take your knowledge of football serious. But hey like I said, some people need that 30 minute time window to get unemotional. You fall in that group.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm one of the firm believers that players make their own fate. Honestly, Kubiak is a great offensive play caller. Point is, he didn't have his elite rb to make plays in the redzone like he did last year. Didn't Arian have the most Td's out of the rb's and wr's last year. And if you want to look at it this way. The game changing play was Tates drop on first down in our first 4th quarter drive. He makes that catch, and were well on our way to scoring more points.

Kubiak has turned over 99.9 percent of the roster. Only Andre Johnson
remains from the team Kubiak inherited. The same coach has set
the direction of this team, and it performs consistently mediocre
under the same leadership.

Coulda-woulda-shoulda has been a rallying cry for this team since the
beginning. You could've simply did a search, cut and paste the same
comments from 3 years ago, and saved yourself the headache of thinkin'
it up.

Brandon420tx
09-25-2011, 04:58 PM
For those of you guys saying that the D was vanilla at the end. You don't beat Brees by sending the heat. You beat him by dropping 7 in coverage and having your 4 rushers pressure him into bad throws

TexansForTheW
09-25-2011, 04:58 PM
Anyone saying "we only lost by 7"....I don't understand how you see that. Yeah, that was the score, but our red zone offense was piss poor...we were dominating this game....

How many games and times have you seen this song and fuqng dance.

No, the sky is not falling....but seriously....a lot of the same old shit.

Same old? I don't remember being up double digits on a superbowl contender. And if I'm not mistaken, weren't we one of the beat teams in the red zone last year? I wonder why(Arian Foster)? Don't get me wrong, we have some serious issues, but were a good football team. I will bump this thread after we smash Pittsburg at home.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 04:59 PM

Hell YES.

I'm repping you for this, You're spot on.... but I'm still drinking koolaide & basking in sunshine.

fiasco west
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Classic Overreaction thread.

Texans are 0-1 against good teams this year.

Maybe at one point you have to realize we lost to a damn good football team that wanted to win just as bad as we did.

The redzone scoring is a problem but it isn't Kubiak's fault his guys didn't get it in. The only question is when it was 4th and 2 and I think you go for that up by 7 in the 1st quarter. Kubes is just a bit too conservative at times.

TexansForTheW
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM

it up.

I agree withe coulda woulda shoulda. But open your eyes, our football team is much better than previous years. You will eat your crow next week. Guarantee it.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 05:01 PM

it up.

We didn't beat the Saints.... we aren't undefeated... boo the **** hoo....

the season isn't over, there were a lot of good things in this game.

We'll be allright come week 17..

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 05:01 PM
It's almost impossible to debate with ignorant people. You must be one of those people that hold grudges. If you think we were outclassed then I can't take your knowledge of football serious. But hey like I said, some people need that 30 minute time window to get unemotional. You fall in that group.

I don't know how long you've been watching this team, but check
my signature. It was placed there in Preseason 2010

The only thing that's changed has been THE EXCUSES.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 05:02 PM
We didn't beat the Saints.... we aren't undefeated... boo the **** hoo....

the season isn't over, there were a lot of good things in this game.

We'll be allright come week 17..

TK. You should know better by now.

HTown2ATX
09-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Same old? I don't remember being up double digits on a superbowl contender. And if I'm not mistaken, weren't we one of the beat teams in the red zone last year? I wonder why(Arian Foster)? Don't get me wrong, we have some serious issues, but were a good football team. I will bump this thread after we smash Pittsburg at home.

Yeah it is same old..doesn't matter who the opponent was....we have seen this song and dance plain and simple.

Porky
09-25-2011, 05:08 PM
For those of you guys saying that the D was vanilla at the end. You don't beat Brees by sending the heat. You beat him by dropping 7 in coverage and having your 4 rushers pressure him into bad throws

LMAO. How did that work out for you? :spit:

MEGA SWATT
09-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Season is NOT over there is still optimism. Even if it is a just a bit.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 05:09 PM
I agree withe coulda woulda shoulda. But open your eyes, our football team is much better than previous years. You will eat your crow next week. Guarantee it.

TK will tell you about our arguments from years before. He'd
tell me how much BETTER this 8-8 is than LAST YEAR'S
8-8.

Same 'ol shit, bruh.

ATXan
09-25-2011, 05:10 PM
Just heard that there is a 75% of fair weather today. They say it will last until next Sunday at 3:15 pm.

EllisUnit
09-25-2011, 05:10 PM
8-8.

Same 'ol shit, bruh.

so you think because we lost today we are heading straight for 8-8. i just dont see it

Hervoyel
09-25-2011, 05:11 PM

SHEEEeeeesssshhhhh!!!

I kind of want to do this. I can't bring myself to do this though because I'm still digesting what I just saw.

I'm mad because the Saints hung 40 on us BUT I'm also unable to ignore the fact that they hung 34 on the defending champions in week one and that it took 35 points for the Packers to put the Saints down for good. Last week they hung 30 on Chicago. You don't stop the Saints, you try to weather the storm and try to outscore them.

It leaves me with a lot of questions. Would we give up 40 points to this team if our defense had hit its stride with the 3-4? Would we have been able to win this if the game took place at our house?

I knew in the first half (like I'm sure almost all of you did) that FG's weren't going to get it done today. Did any Texans fan feel comfortable with that halftime lead?

Every year is unique. Yes, it's six years into Kubiak's regime. but it's also three games into Wade Phillips defense. Let me be clear, I don't think the hiring of Wade is going to be enough to change the Texans and I'm on record with that from the day his hiring was announced. I expect this latest attempt to fail to fix a lot of the problems plaguing this franchise but having said that it's too soon to say that it has failed.

Buddy Ryan, maybe one of the greatest defensive coordinators in NFL history installed the 46 defense here with the Oilers in 1993 with arguably better personnel than the Texans have today and the team went 1-4 before the light bulb switched on.

We haven't seen the best defense we're going to get out of this team and yet we're still 2-1. I think you're way too soon with this DexmanC.

Brandon420tx
09-25-2011, 05:11 PM
LMAO. How did that work out for you? :spit:

I don't break down the stats between blitz and not blitzing plays, but I could tell a noticeable difference in Bree's efficiency vs. the blitz, and not. We got more pressure when we only sent 4, and Brees generally held the ball longer when we didn't blitz. We blitz, quick strike for a first down. At one point I shouted at the TV to stop blitzing, and they did, which resulted in 2 incomplete passes for Brees. So I stand by my statement

I'm not saying Brees didn't complete passes when not blitzed, its Drew freaking Brees. Most of our best defensive plays came when we only sent 4.

Surreal McCoy
09-25-2011, 05:13 PM
I'll give you credit for laying low until now.

I'd appreciate it if you take your fake ass fandom else where until we start beating these teams.

It would suck if that never happens & we don't ever hear from you again.... but oh well.

Take one for the team man.

lol signed and repped

BigBull17
09-25-2011, 05:15 PM
On their last drive, I would have blitzed 12

michaelm
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
Oh, good grief. You chicken littles should just off yourselves and get it over with.
The Texans played a good game overall, made some mistakes like every team does every week, and lost to a very very good team in their home stadium.
IT HAPPENS.
We have a 2-1 team, coming home for two games, both of which are winnable if the Texans play like they did today.
BTW, there is absolutely ZERO correlation between the Texans losing, and what the Bills or Lions did today. No connection whatsoever.
One thing has nothing to do with the other.
God, can't we just say good game Saints and move on? Why does every loss have to result in these ***** fest threads?
Yes, there are things this team should work on. Definitely areas to improve, but we lost a game to a good team today.
IMO, it's a loser mentality to dissect every loss looking for flaws and casting blame.
Even good teams lose sometime.
Get used to it. The Texans are a good team now. They just happened to lose a game to a good team today.

Patriotsmuse
09-25-2011, 05:25 PM
The dome was a rocking ! The Texans came to play and throw down they did! I met so many great Texans fans and the game was a true battle all the way till the end.

The truth is Texans secondary rattled the Saints the entire first half . If the field goals would have been TDs a blow out was on the horizon. I am a huge Texans fan and any other game I am on your team . But I cannot tell a lie I was rooting for my home team today.

Hold your heads high and go forward and annihilate Pittsburgh. Today told Texans they have the talent , stamina, and heart to go to playoffs and beyond.
Bravo Texans!

:texflag:

Doppelganger
09-25-2011, 05:34 PM

SHEEEeeeesssshhhhh!!!

So after one game you are already calling this team the same old same old huh? I guess you don't realize this is a 16 game season. I guess you forgot we are still 2-1 and in first place in the division.

Did the Texans win? No. They should have cashed in another td or two on their first 4 possessions. But they played with and were in the game and played score to score with one of the best in the league. Last year they got ***** slapped by a pathetic Dallas team that was winless and did nothing. There is no shame in losing a hard fought game on the road.

You, for whatever reason, seem to have a very negative outlook in life. All your posts seem to be negatively based whether you are talking about the Texans or anything else. Perhaps you are one of those people that are happy when you point out the misery. You really need to get a better attitude in life or you are going to develop ulcers, stress, and other health related conditions.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 05:37 PM
So after one game you are already calling this team the same old same old huh? I guess you don't realize this is a 16 game season. I guess you forgot we are still 2-1 and in first place in the division.

Did the Texans win? No. They should have cashed in another td or two on their first 4 possessions. But they played with and were in the game and played score to score with one of the best in the league. Last year they got ***** slapped by a pathetic Dallas team that was winless and did nothing. There is no shame in losing a hard fought game on the road.

You, for whatever reason, seem to have a very negative outlook in life. All your posts seem to be negatively based whether you are talking about the Texans or anything else. Perhaps you are one of those people that are happy when you point out the misery. You really need to get a better attitude in life or you are going to develop ulcers, stress, and other health related conditions.

I caught the same BS from you guys last year, prayed that I was wrong, and
I WASN'T. They ALWAYS have lost in style to contending teams during
this time of year under Kubiak. You sick of me saying the same shit?
I'm sick of SEEING the same shit.

If you remember...
Dallas showed the rest of the league how to whip the Texans defense for the remainder
of the year. I'm afraid the Saints hanging 23 on us in the 4th just gave OC's tons
of footage on how to beat the "#1 Defense in the NFL." This year, so far, is playing out
EXACTLY like last year. When this team changes, so will my tune.

In the words of DMX: "LORD, GIMME A SIGN!"

ziggy29
09-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Why does every loss have to result in these ***** fest threads?

Umm... because we're fans?

I don't think it was losing to the Saints on the road that's a disappointment in and of itself. (Sure, a loss is always disappointing, but I mean the kick-in-the-gut kind of disappointing that results from letting one get away. But there's no shame in a close loss to the Saints on the road.) It was the familiarity of the script that did it, I think.

Yes, this is a much better team this year, and with a weaker division (on paper) this year it still feels like the Texans are in good position to make the playoffs. But at some point, the team *does* need to learn how to consistently finish what it starts. That they very nearly beat one of the best teams in the NFL on the road is a very good sign. But the Saints were also champions two years ago, and you don't let a champion get off the ropes. I feel like too many Kubiak teams let their opponents "off the ropes" in the second half. But at least the script is repeating against much better teams now.

EllisUnit
09-25-2011, 05:40 PM

i'm sick of it too, but this loss had a way diff feel than last seasons loss. you have to admit that atleast ?

Kimmy
09-25-2011, 05:43 PM
i'm sick of it too, but this loss had a way diff feel than last seasons loss. you have to admit that atleast ?

Sad thing for me; No. I hate to just "expect it", but I do.

Like being in a bad marriage and settling.

Doppelganger
09-25-2011, 05:44 PM

So leave. If you are tired of seeing the same thing, get out of here. Go be a bandwagon supporter for whoever is the Superbowl champion at the time. That way you can always see the best of football all of the time.

Coming in here and only posting with negative results or on negative topics is what is BS. If you are gonna be a fan, then at least realize the difference between a beatdown to the winless Cowboys and losing to a a perennial Superbowl contender on the road.

If you can't/won't do that, then we have nothing further to discuss.

Kimmy
09-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Sad thing for me; No. I hate to just "expect it", but I do.

Like being in a bad marriage and settling.

Doesn't mean I was rooting, cheering and screaming! I was almost disowned from my family by coming into the hotel lobby (deep in the heart of Louisiana) with my Texans gear on.

I'll always cheer for them, but the loses don't drive me as insane as they used too

ATXtexanfan
09-25-2011, 05:56 PM

lol. what is the diff feel between a loss and loss?

EllisUnit
09-25-2011, 05:59 PM

ok maybe its just me but i feel better about us losing 40-33 then i would of if we had lost 40-3. Call it moral victory our whatever you must, but this game shows us that we can hang with the best of the best in their own house.

ziggy29
09-25-2011, 06:03 PM
ok maybe its just me but i feel better about us losing 40-33 then i would of if we had lost 40-3. Call it moral victory our whatever you must, but this game shows us that we can hang with the best of the best in their own house.
I agree with this in one sense, but in another sense, a 40-3 beat down isn't gut-wrenching -- it's just embarrassing.

A 40-33 loss against a great team with an elite QB on the road is not an embarrassment. This is a good Texans team which I still think will finally take the division title this year. But to get much beyond 9-7 you have to demonstrate -- whether against the Saints or the currently God-awful Chiefs -- that you can finish strong. Yes, this time it's different because it was a great team on the road, not some mediocrity, but the pattern was the same. And that, IMO, is coaching -- not the talent level.

It's always easier for me to take losses where "my team" was clearly beaten. But when it feels like you beat yourselves and lose games you could -- and even *should* -- have won, that's where a lot of the angst comes in.

fiasco west
09-25-2011, 06:03 PM
So leave. If you are tired of seeing the same thing, get out of here. Go be a bandwagon supporter for whoever is the Superbowl champion at the time. That way you can always see the best of football all of the time.

Coming in here and only posting with negative results or on negative topics is what is BS. If you are gonna be a fan, then at least realize the difference between a beatdown to the winless Cowboys and losing to a a perennial Superbowl contender on the road.

Texans were also at home and took that beating.

fiasco west
09-25-2011, 06:05 PM
I agree with this in one sense, but in another sense, a 40-3 beat down isn't gut-wrenching -- it's just embarrassing.

A 40-33 loss against a great team with an elite QB on the road is not an embarrassment. This is a good Texans team which I still think will finally take the division title this year. But to get much beyond 9-7 you have to demonstrate -- whether against the Saints or the currently God-awful Chiefs -- that you can finish strong. Yes, this time it's different because it was a great team on the road, not some mediocrity, but the pattern was the same. And that, IMO, is coaching -- not the talent level.

See I don't think the pattern was the same. I think the Saints just came up with the one extra play to win the game. It was really that close of a game.

Also I agree that the Texans have to go out and beat these teams like the Saints...but they have only played the Saints yet so it's impossible to judge if this will be a recurring pattern throughout the year.

EllisUnit
09-25-2011, 06:07 PM

It's always easier for me to take losses where "my team" was clearly beaten. But when it feels like you beat yourselves and lose games you could -- and even *should* -- have won, that's where a lot of the angst comes in.

YES these close ones hurt more than blow out losses. but thats just cause you know victory was in ur reach and u were Sooooooo close. As fans we put a lot of emotion into games and sometimes our emotions blind us from the big picture.

The Third Man
09-25-2011, 06:22 PM
DexmanC, just stop following the team. Seriously. You would be happier, we would be happier. You sound miserable. Go hang out with your family.

ziggy29
09-25-2011, 06:27 PM
YES these close ones hurt more than blow out losses. but thats just cause you know victory was in ur reach and u were Sooooooo close. As fans we put a lot of emotion into games and sometimes our emotions blind us from the big picture.
Well, the big picture is that I think the Texans are a good team, but not an elite team or a serious Super Bowl contender. In part I think that's because elite teams and Super Bowl contenders tend to win the second half in general and the fourth quarter in particular -- something the Texans have never demonstrated. Maybe this isn't a recurrence of an old pattern -- maybe it's just that the Saints in general and Brees in particular are just that good -- but it's hard for it to not *feel* like the "same old script" even if it's a clear upgrade from years past.

So it's not like I'm really down on this team or disgusted with it. If you told me at the start of the season if I'd feel decent about a 2-1 record after three games, yes I would. But I would feel a lot better about this team if I started seeing a little more finishing of what it starts. This is a good team, but it still needs to learn how to finish.

Pantherstang84
09-25-2011, 06:48 PM
See I don't think the pattern was the same. I think the Saints just came up with the one extra play to win the game. It was really that close of a game.

Also I agree that the Texans have to go out and beat these teams like the Saints...but they have only played the Saints yet so it's impossible to judge if this will be a recurring pattern throughout the year.

What about the recurring pattern throughout the history of the franchise?

The Texans had an opportunity to shut up the haters and critics. Kubiak, Schaub, coaching staff have all taken heat over the years.

Today, once again they had the beast wounded and bleeding. Once again they failed to finish the beast off. They deserve the criticism. They can't seem to get over the hump. A loss is a loss.

fiasco west
09-25-2011, 06:52 PM
What about the recurring pattern throughout the history of the franchise?

The Texans had an opportunity to shut up the haters and critics. Kubiak, Schaub, coaching staff have all taken heat over the years.

Today, once again they had the beast wounded and bleeding. Once again they failed to finish the beast off. They deserve the criticism. They can't seem to get over the hump. A loss is a loss.

I don't put too much stock into stuff like that when the team has a bevy of new players and a entire new coaching staff on one side of the ball.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 07:24 PM

Heh. I'm the negative one? You're telling me to leave for voicing my honest
opinion. So much for free speech, eh?

lol

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
DexmanC, just stop following the team. Seriously. You would be happier, we would be happier. You sound miserable. Go hang out with your family.

Looks like me telling the truth strikes too much of a nerve, and is too
much for ya.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
8-8.

Same 'ol shit, bruh.

How about a little wager.

I bet we'll win 6 games in the first 9....

Should be pretty safe bet for you, with 3 games in the books already.

You name the wager, I'm in for whatever.

Steelers
Oakland
Baltimore
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Cleveland

Whatcha wanna do?

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Bingo. I stated in a thread earlier, that Kubiak is the biggest x-factor
on this team. Kubiak was greatly responsible for the Saints putting
23 points on the board in the fourth quarter, because he thought
he could shoot it out with the Saints, 9-point lead be damned.

The man didn't play to win the game, he played to win a shootout.
This got the team beat. This team will either win because Kubiak
has evolved as a coach (which he has not yet shown,) win in SPITE
of Kubiak's decisions, or toil in the stagnation that is the head coaching
career of Gary Kubiak.

DBCooper
09-25-2011, 07:29 PM

The big picture is that we are a pretty decent team.

But we are not a great team, not by a long shot.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 07:31 PM

Steelers
Oakland
Baltimore
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Cleveland

Whatcha wanna do?

That quote you posted was taken out of context. It was not predicting
the 2011 squad to end up 8-8. It was a display of how our discussions
regarding this team has not changed in 3 seasons.

I WANT to be able to talk about different shit with this team, they just
have not presented the opportunity.

ATXtexanfan
09-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Steelers
Oakland
Baltimore
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Cleveland

Whatcha wanna do?

anyone betting on a playoff win, all bets off for regular season wins without peyton, no pressure without him. six games in the first nine without a sense of urgency due to our division sucking is no bet. every analyst handed us the division when peyton went down. hell 12 wins is the bar right?

ObsiWan
09-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Read again.

I'm sorry. Explain to me how our offense scored 33 pts on a team that's one year removed from a Super Bowl championship and it's on Kubiak when the DEFENSE gave up FORTY POINTS!

Where's the FIRE WADE PHILLIPS thread?? His defense gave up FORTY, count 'em FORTY points.
How does a genius defensive coordinator get burned by the same two-pt conversion play twice in a row? Yet, this loss is all Kubiak's fault...?

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 07:35 PM

We were outclassed at home against Dallas last year. The freaking place (our house) was full of Cowboy fans & the players on the field didn't seem to take it personal or try to do anything about it.

We had no chance in that game.

This one slipped away. We had their number. We had them on the hook and we let them get away... They are who we thought they were & we let them get away.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry. Explain to me how our offense scored 33 pts on a team that's one year removed from a Super Bowl championship and it's on Kubiak when the DEFENSE gave up FORTY POINTS!

Where's the FIRE WADE PHILLIPS thread?? His defense gave up FORTY, count 'em FORTY points.
How does a genius defensive coordinator get burned by the same two-pt conversion play twice in a row? Yet, this loss is all Kubiak's fault...?

Kubiak's pass-happy offensive strategy was a key factor in
the Saints having TIME to put up 23 points in the 4th quarter.

Wade Phillips is a co-ordinator, who plays under Head Coach
Gary Kubiak. When a sailor screws up on a ship, you talk to
the captain. Simple chain-of-command.

ObsiWan
09-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Bingo. I stated in a thread earlier, that Kubiak is the biggest x-factor
on this team. Kubiak was greatly responsible for the Saints putting
23 points on the board in the fourth quarter, because he thought

career of Gary Kubiak.

So, again, Wade gets off Scott Free because you hate Kubiak. Wade's new and improved defense gave up 23 pts in the fourth qtr but, according to you, Wade bears absolutely NO responsibility.

Yeah, that's very objective of you

EllisUnit
09-25-2011, 07:40 PM

i do agree with this, there was 2:40 left we had 2 time outs and we sling it and sling it and dont attempt not even 1 run.

DBCooper
09-25-2011, 07:41 PM

You are exactly right about our defense.

The Saints showed everyone exactly what our weaknesses are.

And for the record, I like this defense alot more than any we have put on the field before this year.

Now let's see how a real D-coordinator makes adjustments the rest of the year.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 07:43 PM
So, again, Wade gets off Scott Free because you hate Kubiak. Wade's new and improved defense gave up 23 pts in the fourth qtr but, according to you, Wade bears absolutely NO responsibility.

Yeah, that's very objective of you

I don't hate Kubiak at all. I'm just acknowledging an undeniable pattern
that manifests itself each season of his tenure as head coach of the
Texans. Kubiak is the common denominator in what we've been
seeing the last six years.

Should the Texans make/miss the playoffs in 2011, and Kubiak would
tell ya this, it'll be ON HIM.

ATXtexanfan
09-25-2011, 07:45 PM

did you really think 33 pts at NO was gonna do it? dude you are better than that. for real bro

ObsiWan
09-25-2011, 07:50 PM

Did you watch the game? Tate was gimpy and Slaton was ineffective. The running game was not working in the second half.

That's weak Dex.
Following that logic (and I use the term loosely), no other coach, none of the players, none of the staff have any responsibility, any expectation to do their job properly.
"Hey, I can call a sucky defensive game, after all, Dex says I have no responsibility or accountability because it's all on the head coach."

That's really weak.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 07:52 PM
That quote you posted was taken out of context. It was not predicting
the 2011 squad to end up 8-8. It was a display of how our discussions
regarding this team has not changed in 3 seasons.

I WANT to be able to talk about different shit with this team, they just
have not presented the opportunity.

Same difference. You don't believe this team has changed, that means you believe we'll be 5-7 or worse in the first 12 games.

I think this is a different team, even though they wear the same uniforms & have the same names on the sideline. I think we'll get to 6 wins in that first 12, but to make the bet even more in your favor, I'm saying we'll win 6 in the first 9.

Like I said, should be an easy bet for you. If you truly don't see a difference.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 07:56 PM
You are exactly right about our defense.

The Saints showed everyone exactly what our weaknesses are.

And for the record, I like this defense alot more than any we have put on the field before this year.

Now let's see how a real D-coordinator makes adjustments the rest of the year.

I hear you, don't disagree. But how many teams can score with us?

If we get a lead on just about anyone else, play ball control, we win. Pittsburgh & Baltimore are streaky enough to score 30, but it isn't their forte, so I like our chances against them, weaknesses & all.

Last year, everyone but Rusty Smith was going to score 30 on our defense.

TexansForTheW
09-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Maybe some of you guys should become Packer fans. This board is awful after losses. It's a new season. This beaten dog syndrome is annoying. Half the board claims the season is over after a loss to a year removed super bowl team who looks every bit the part now. We were up 9 in the 4th. Moral victories are Lame but we had a chance to win the game in the fourth. If you asked me if I would take that before the game started? I'd say every day twice on Sunday. We will kick Pittsuburg's butt on sunday.

TEXANRED
09-25-2011, 07:58 PM
Maybe some of you guys should become Packer fans. This board is awful after losses. It's a new season. This beaten dog syndrome is annoying. Half the board claims the season is over after a loss to a year removed super bowl team who looks every bit the part now. We were up 9 in the 4th. Moral victories are Lame but we had a chance to win the game in the fourth. If you asked me if I would take that before the game started? I'd say every day twice on Sunday. We will kick Pittsuburg's butt on sunday.

What makes you say that? The Steelers having a down year?

ATXtexanfan
09-25-2011, 08:01 PM

if we were up by nine in the 4th every game and lost.......

DBCooper
09-25-2011, 08:02 PM
I hear you, don't disagree. But how many teams can score with us?

If we get a lead on just about anyone else, play ball control, we win. Pittsburgh & Baltimore are streaky enough to score 30, but it isn't their forte, so I like our chances against them, weaknesses & all.

Last year, everyone but Rusty Smith was going to score 30 on our defense.

I'm a big fan of Wade Phillips.

I'm excited to see how he adjusts and makes up for these obvious deficiencies.

Might make a huge difference in the attitude we see today and the one we see winning in the playoffs.

ObsiWan
09-25-2011, 08:02 PM
i do agree with this, there was 2:40 left we had 2 time outs and we sling it and sling it and dont attempt not even 1 run.

Let's review.... At the 2:42 mark in the 4th qtr, we were on our own 20 and behind by 7. Obviously we need a TD. At this point Tate was gimpy and Slaton had been pretty much ineffective all day long. So at this point our best two weapons are A.J. and O.D.
And you thought we should have RUN the ball...??
If you had said, go single back and try to get Slaton the ball with a screen or let A.D. & O.D. take the defense deep then throw it to Slaton or Tate underneath, I could see that. Maybe they break one.
But run the ball??
I have to respectfully disagree with that strategy give that we only had Slaton and Tate working with a bad wheel.

playa465
09-25-2011, 08:11 PM
Same difference. You don't believe this team has changed, that means you believe we'll be 5-7 or worse in the first 12 games.

I think this is a different team, even though they wear the same uniforms & have the same names on the sideline. I think we'll get to 6 wins in that first 12, but to make the bet even more in your favor, I'm saying we'll win 6 in the first 9.

Like I said, should be an easy bet for you. If you truly don't see a difference.

I see what ur doin...LOL

EllisUnit
09-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Let's review.... At the 2:42 mark in the 4th qtr, we were on our own 20 and behind by 7. Obviously we need a TD. At this point Tate was gimpy and Slaton had been pretty much ineffective all day long. So at this point our best two weapons are A.J. and O.D.
And you thought we should have RUN the ball...??
If you had said, go single back and try to get Slaton the ball with a screen or let A.D. & O.D. take the defense deep then throw it to Slaton or Tate underneath, I could see that. Maybe they break one.
But run the ball??
I have to respectfully disagree with that strategy give that we only had Slaton and Tate working with a bad wheel.

after tate hurt his ankle he came back in and still had some solid runs, hell let casey run the ball, but there was no reason to sling it at that point in the game.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 08:24 PM
That's weak Dex.
Following that logic (and I use the term loosely), no other coach, none of the players, none of the staff have any responsibility, any expectation to do their job properly.
"Hey, I can call a sucky defensive game, after all, Dex says I have no responsibility or accountability because it's all on the head coach."

That's really weak.

Sure they all have responsibility. However, it's the responsibility
of the head coach to answer for his players' execution of the
head coach's program. You probably don't realize this, but
your boss gets HIS ass chewed when YOU make a mistake.

That's the way chain-of-command works. Gary Kubiak has
had six years to build this team into a contender, and as of
today, that objective has yet to be reached.

Hopefully, six times' a charm.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
I see what ur doin...LOL

lol me, too. That's just TK bein' TK.

TexansForTheW
09-25-2011, 08:25 PM
What makes you say that? The Steelers having a down year?

I have confidence were a top 4 team in the AFC. We will get it done.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 08:26 PM

There's nothing predictive about anything I said.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm a big fan of Wade Phillips.

I'm excited to see how he adjusts and makes up for these obvious deficiencies.

Might make a huge difference in the attitude we see today and the one we see winning in the playoffs.

I seriously doubt he's installed the whole defense yet. This is still a work in progress. Good teams are going to make us look like crap.

But I think our offense is good enough (not elite) to win a few until they get there.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Sure they all have responsibility. However, it's the responsibility
of the head coach to answer for his players' execution of the
head coach's program. You probably don't realize this, but
your boss gets HIS ass chewed when YOU make a mistake.

That's the way chain-of-command works. Gary Kubiak has
had six years to build this team into a contender, and as of
today, that objective has yet to be reached.

Hopefully, six times' a charm.

We're not a contender because we lost to the Saints in week 3?

c'mon man.

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 08:47 PM
There's nothing predictive about anything I said.

So you don't think we are the same ol Texans?

DBCooper
09-25-2011, 08:56 PM

I have seen very few posts thinking the season is over.

We have to learn to win this type of game to be a contender.

And beaten dog syndrome is contentment with making the playoffs.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 09:16 PM
We're not a contender because we lost to the Saints in week 3?

c'mon man.

At this point in time, we're not a contender. Contenders hit 3 games
over .500 at some point during the season. The next 3 games will
tell us what we need to know. They must win 2 of the next 3, AT LEAST,
and NONE of those teams suck. No gimmes

buddyboy
09-25-2011, 09:39 PM
At this point in time, we're not a contender. Contenders hit 3 games
over .500 at some point during the season. The next 3 games will
tell us what we need to know. They must win 2 of the next 3, AT LEAST,
and NONE of those teams suck. No gimmes

I'm honestly curious...

Did you expect us to win 16 games this season?

No, really, because it sure seems like you waited till the Texans lost to spout off on how crap this team is, without regard to a) who we lost to and b) how the team played.

Yeah, we failed in the red zone constantly. Our defense (still 3 games old) didn't hold. Yet...despite all these shortcomings, look how close we came.

And I don't want to be that guy who roots for being "close" to winning, but this game was against a superbowl contender. If losing to a great team means the sky is falling, then fans all over the league should be giving up. When the Saints lost to the Packers in week one, they might as well pack up and give up, right? I mean, how can you not beat a contending team?

We lost. Them's the breaks, you're not going to win 16-0. We lost to a top tier team by one touchdown, and we didn't even play near our potential.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm honestly curious...

Did you expect us to win 16 games this season?

Such an expectation never came out of my mouth.
Watching this team hand victories over due to silly
4th-quarter strategy by the head coach is what I'm tired
of seeing. I've spoken during EVERY game this team has
had, preseason in all. Go back and read my words, before
you accuse me of remaining silent to unload on them

Leave the hyperbole at the door, and stay in-context. Nobody
wants Kubiak to prove me wrong, more than me. Six years in,
and I'm still right. He still has 13 more games to prove he's
changed at all.

buddyboy
09-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Such an expectation never came out of my mouth.
Watching this team hand victories over due to silly
4th-quarter strategy by the head coach is what I'm tired
of seeing. I've spoken during EVERY game this team has
had, preseason in all. Go back and read my words, before
you accuse me of remaining silent to unload on them

Leave the hyperbole at the door, and stay in-context. Nobody
wants Kubiak to prove me wrong, more than me. Six years in,
and I'm still right. He still has 13 more games to prove he's
changed at all.

So, you think the way we lost today is absolutely unacceptable and there's a better way we could have lost this game that you would have been content with?

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 09:53 PM
So, you think the way we lost today is absolutely unacceptable and there's a better way we could have lost this game that you would have been content with?

Again. When I speak of this loss, its in the context of ALL of Kubiak's
games against real, competing teams. The Texans, under Kubiak, have
won less than 3 such games in six seasons.

Unacceptable. Beat the Steelers and Ravens, in this context, and
it'll be something we've never seen. All we've seen will see, and all I've said,
and will say about Kubiak, is connected to his tenure as head coach of the Texans.

Understand that.

buddyboy
09-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Again. When I speak of this loss, its in the context of ALL of Kubiak's
games against real, competing teams. The Texans, under Kubiak, have
won less than 3 such games in six seasons.

Unacceptable. Beat the Steelers and Ravens, in this context, and
it'll be something we've never seen. All we've seen will see, and all I've said,
and will say about Kubiak, is connected to his tenure as head coach of the Texans.

Understand that.

I understand. But I disagree. You're bringing up too much stuff of the past in fear of being tricked like you have before. But at some point, you have to realize this team is far different than it has been in the past, and this game is different than the losses to other competing teams we've lost to in the past.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 10:14 PM
I understand. But I disagree. You're bringing up too much stuff of the past in fear of being tricked like you have before. But at some point, you have to realize this team is far different than it has been in the past, and this game is different than the losses to other competing teams we've lost to in the past.

Time is continuous. The past is the present and the future.
If the past didn't matter, then you could exist without the actions
of your parents. You are here, because of something that happened
in "the past," whatever that means.

Kubiak is Kubiak. He's remained stagnant since he got here. It's year
six, and we're hoping he shows some growth.

Pantherstang84
09-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Honest question. When the Saints came out and scored on the opening possession of the 2nd half, who didn't say to themselves, "Here we go again."?

thunderkyss
09-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Honest question. When the Saints came out and scored on the opening possession of the 2nd half, who didn't say to themselves, "Here we go again."?

I didn't

My brother was talking all that "Same ol Texans" crap & I told him to keep the faith.

It was still a good game & I enjoyed every bit of it.

If I were waiting for the other foot to drop, I don't think I would have enjoyed it so much.

Doppelganger
09-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Heh. I'm the negative one? You're telling me to leave for voicing my honest
opinion. So much for free speech, eh?

lol

Yeah. YOU are the negative one. YOU are the one that comes around and talks up the negative aspects of the team when things go badly. Last week the team was 2-0. Rather than relishing in victory YOU were bringing up negatives. And here you are once again in a relishing told you so role. You don't seem to be a fan of the team, you seem to be a fan of being right. Look at my sig, I wanted Kubiak fired and Cowher hired. Yet, becuase I am a Texan fan I got behind Kubiak because I wanted Kubiak and the Texans to succeed. YOU instead seem bent on being right rather than having a winning team. So, yeah, I question why are you even here.

Kubiak was greatly responsible for the Saints putting 23 points on the board in the fourth quarter, because he thought

career of Gary Kubiak.

How is Kubiak responsible for the Saints putting up 23 points? He turned his D over to Wade at the beginning of the year.. Wade's D could not contain the Saints offense. If you want to blame Kubiak's playcalling when they got into the red zone, that is worthy of discussion, but blaming Kubiak for the D is reaching...even for you. The Texans D simply could not stop the Saints Offense, just like the Saints Offense had difficulty with the Texans Offense. In a shootout, one team wins and another loses.

But to blame Kubiak just shows your blind hatred has no bounds and in this case, not semblance of reality.

playa465
09-26-2011, 12:37 AM

Not gonna lie, I did...today we faced a good offensive team and lost. No matter how it happened it did. There comes a point where you have to beat the good teams. We can't compare this team to the Pats, Steelers, Ravens, Chargers, just b/c we are all 2-1 right now...like others have mentioned those teams have proven to be winners. No one is expecting a perfect season but when you have teams on the ropes (esp the good ones) you have to close the deal. Next week the test will come against a good defensive team with an above avg offense. No excuses, get it done...if we lose I wonder what the justification will be: we played a good game, we hung in there, they are just better than us, we still adjusting to having less time in the off season with a new defensive scheme? At some point all the excuses of losing have to come to an end...results count period.

TexCanada
09-26-2011, 12:44 AM
I'm actually really glad we play the Steelers next week so we can put this argument to bed one way or the other. Then again, if we do win, I'm sure people will say the Steelers aren't contenders.

Lucky
09-26-2011, 12:47 AM
I'm actually really glad we play the Steelers next week so we can put this argument to bed one way or the other. Then again, if we do win, I'm sure people will say the Steelers aren't contenders.
I'll be one of those people, because I don't think this version of the Steelers are contenders.

That's OK. The Texans play the Raiders in week 5 and the Ravens in week 6. They're contenders.

Lucky
09-26-2011, 12:52 AM
How is Kubiak responsible for the Saints putting up 23 points? He turned his D over to Wade at the beginning of the year..
Don't start with that. Kubiak is in charge of this team. If there's something that he sees Phillips doing wrong (or Dennison or Marciano for that matter), he should speak up and have it changed. It's his arse that's on the line and the buck should stop with Kubiak.

Doppelganger
09-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Don't start with that. Kubiak is in charge of this team. If there's something that he sees Phillips doing wrong (or Dennison or Marciano for that matter), he should speak up and have it changed. It's his arse that's on the line and the buck should stop with Kubiak.

Wade Phillips is a highly respected D Coordinator who has been D coordinatiing since Kubes was a ball boy. You really think that Kubes is going to question him in the 3rd game of the very first season? If Wade';s D has consitently been poor throughout the season, then yeah, maybe he could speak up, but up until this game, Wade's D had been fine. And honestly, it was fine through 3 quarters. Wade's D gave up 17 points in 3 quarters: not too bad against the Saints. One bad quarter, sadly.

buddyboy
09-26-2011, 01:41 AM
Time is continuous. The past is the present and the future.
If the past didn't matter, then you could exist without the actions
of your parents. You are here, because of something that happened
in "the past," whatever that means.

Kubiak is Kubiak. He's remained stagnant since he got here. It's year
six, and we're hoping he shows some growth.

Alright, last thing I'm gonna say on this. I want to know, did you predict this as a win? If you did, I can see how you're upset. But to be honest, looking at the schedule in the beginning, you have to look at the Saints then Steelers and just hope we get out of those two with one win.

So, assuming you marked this one down as a loss...in what scenario would a loss be acceptable? Would it have been better if we got rolled over? We played a very competitive game that came down to the last minute. Sure, blame Kubiak, I know you do. But I doubt you had us going into NOLA and then coming home and beating the Steelers too. In what way would you have us lose that doesn't involve Kubiak being roasted alive?

I'm genuinely curious. Because honestly, I'm trying to think about if I "expected" us to win this one, and I was half and half. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost, wouldn't be surprised if we won. And if we lost, all I hoped was that we showed something. Showed that we could hang with the great teams of the NFL. And this game showed we can. Even when our offense is stalling every drive and our defense is giving up chunks of yardage every other pass, we can still hang with the best of the best. So, how good can we be when we're on our game? When Phillips has more than three games to implement his scheme? When we have our league leading rusher?

GuerillaBlack
09-26-2011, 01:46 AM

Honestly, I did this when we didn't score a TD to make the score 20-7 instead of 16-7. When the Saints came in scored, it was just an "oh *******!" moment. Back and forth and their house? If this game was at Reliant, I really think the Texans would have won. That's how close this game was. If Kubiak's playcalling and the execution in general in the red zone didn't suck (and if we had Arian Foster), we would have won this game. The Saints also pass on everybody, so I don't think fans should be so discouraged there. Without him, I'm scared, but as long as Arian is able to go 100%, we'll be good. The Saints will probably be the toughest offense the team faces all season.

Texanmike02
09-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Schaub lost this game. Too many passes behind receiver.

I'm glad we have people who don't watch the game commenting on the game.

Mike

80tothezone
09-26-2011, 03:43 AM
Can mods wipe these threads for being garbage

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Grams
09-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Alright, last thing I'm gonna say on this. I want to know, did you predict this as a win? If you did, I can see how you're upset. But to be honest, looking at the schedule in the beginning, you have to look at the Saints then Steelers and just hope we get out of those two with one win.

So, assuming you marked this one down as a loss...in what scenario would a loss be acceptable? Would it have been better if we got rolled over? We played a very competitive game that came down to the last minute. Sure, blame Kubiak, I know you do. But I doubt you had us going into NOLA and then coming home and beating the Steelers too. In what way would you have us lose that doesn't involve Kubiak being roasted alive?

I'm genuinely curious. Because honestly, I'm trying to think about if I "expected" us to win this one, and I was half and half. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost, wouldn't be surprised if we won. And if we lost, all I hoped was that we showed something. Showed that we could hang with the great teams of the NFL. And this game showed we can. Even when our offense is stalling every drive and our defense is giving up chunks of yardage every other pass, we can still hang with the best of the best. So, how good can we be when we're on our game? When Phillips has more than three games to implement his scheme? When we have our league leading rusher?

Kubiak lost me game 3 last year. But this game 3 was no way near our game 3 loss last year. I don't blane Kubiak alone.

The blame on this loss goes to everyone. The offense could not score TD's in the read zone, the defense could not stop Brees in the second half. Special teams, play calling, etc. A little bit of everyone. But it was the Saints and not the Chiefs or Seattle, etc that beat us.

This week we lost the battle, but it is over - on to next week. I think this team will learn something and come out and go 1-0 next week.

DexmanC
09-26-2011, 07:37 AM

I've said all I'm gonna say, as clearly as I said it. Read my previous posts,
and I'll see ya next game...

DexmanC
09-26-2011, 07:38 AM
Yeah. YOU are the negative one. YOU are the one that comes around and talks up the negative aspects of the team when things go badly. Last week the team was 2-0. Rather than relishing in victory YOU were bringing up negatives. And here you are once again in a relishing told you so role. You don't seem to be a fan of the team, you seem to be a fan of being right. Look at my sig, I wanted Kubiak fired and Cowher hired. Yet, becuase I am a Texan fan I got behind Kubiak because I wanted Kubiak and the Texans to succeed. YOU instead seem bent on being right rather than having a winning team. So, yeah, I question why are you even here.

How is Kubiak responsible for the Saints putting up 23 points? He turned his D over to Wade at the beginning of the year.. Wade's D could not contain the Saints offense. If you want to blame Kubiak's playcalling when they got into the red zone, that is worthy of discussion, but blaming Kubiak for the D is reaching...even for you. The Texans D simply could not stop the Saints Offense, just like the Saints Offense had difficulty with the Texans Offense. In a shootout, one team wins and another loses.

But to blame Kubiak just shows your blind hatred has no bounds and in this case, not semblance of reality.

Ok. I just wish you'd have kept your attacks on my comments, rather than
attempt to cast personal dispersions. Last year I created my sig, because
I'd seen three consecutive years of the same calamity. I made the signature
with the hopes of being WRONG. Even at 5-3 last year, this team had no
quality wins. I saw, BY THE WAY THEY WERE PLAYING, the Texans were
headed for disaster. This game contained a lot of the elements we've
seen over the previous years, and I enumerated them. None of my words
predict the future. I remain hopeful these issues will be fixed, as I did
during previous years.

If I tell the truth, how can I be "negative?"

Kubiak is, and will always be (so long as he is here,) the reason this team sinks or swims.

Calm down, breathe deep, and
I'll see ya next game...

DexmanC
09-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Kubiak lost me game 3 last year. But this game 3 was no way near our game 3 loss last year. I don't blane Kubiak alone.

The blame on this loss goes to everyone. The offense could not score TD's in the read zone, the defense could not stop Brees in the second half. Special teams, play calling, etc. A little bit of everyone. But it was the Saints and not the Chiefs or Seattle, etc that beat us.

This week we lost the battle, but it is over - on to next week. I think this team will learn something and come out and go 1-0 next week.

Right on, Grams. Rep.

TimeKiller
09-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Wow....the title is such a good point I figured it was worth a click. There's already so many shit flinging threads, can somebody point me to where a solid discussion of the game is? Do I really have to wait a few days? Even when they win people get on here to fling shit wherever they can, now that they've lost a game people just green apple splatter the whole board.

DexmanC
09-26-2011, 10:26 AM
So you don't think we are the same ol Texans?

We have been, up to this point in time, the same ol' Texans.
I remain hopeful this will change.

BigBull17
09-26-2011, 10:30 AM

You know who says lines like this? Losers...

Kimmy
09-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Wow....the title is such a good point I figured it was worth a click. There's already so many shit flinging threads, can somebody point me to where a solid discussion of the game is? Do I really have to wait a few days? Even when they win people get on here to fling shit wherever they can, now that they've lost a game people just green apple splatter the whole board.

From the Chronicle today; I think this tells the story you ask of.

More Information
BY THE QUARTERS
FIRST QUARTER
Key stat: Time of possession was dominated by the visitors - 10 minutes, 37 seconds for the Texans compared to 4 minutes, 23 seconds for the Saints.
Key player: Andre Johnson set the tone early, converting a 3rd-and-14 with a 15-yard reception in which he lowered his shoulder near the end to gain the final three or four yards.
Big play: Lined up in the backfield, fullback James Casey was ignored as he slipped out into the flat. The Saints sent an all-out blitz, and by the time they recovered, Casey had a 62-yard gain.

SECOND QUARTER
Key stat: Two trips to the red zone resulted in two field goals.
Key player: Neil Rackers did his job well Sunday - he made all four of his field goals, including both in the second quarter, and all three of his extra points.
Big play: Johnathan Joseph recorded his second interception of the season deep in New Orleans' territory midway through the quarter.

THIRD QUARTER
Key stat: Ben Tate entered Sunday as the league's No. 3 rusher. He had 80 yards after three quarters, averaging 5.0 yards per carry.
Key player: Danieal Manning was in the right place - where Brees couldn't see him, apparently - as he intercepted the Saints quarterback. It was his first as a Texan.
Big play: It definitely wasn't a penalty, but Kareem Jackson may still get a call from the league. His shot on Brees came after a four-yard gain, and it may have lit a fire under the quarterback.

FOURTH QUARTER
Key stat: The Saints entered the final quarter with a total of 17 points, yet they scored 23 in the last 15 minutes of regulation.
Key player: Have to give credit where it's due - Drew Brees was masterful late, throwing for 163 of his 370 yards and two touchdowns in the last quarter.
Big play: Casey again - lined up wide, the fullback beat the coverage deep, leaping late for a 26-yard touchdown that Schaub threw perfectly. It gave the Texans a 26-17 lead.

BY THE NUMBERS
1 - NFL carries for James Casey, who rumbled for 11 yards on a third-quarter pitch
2-1 - Texans' record when winning the time of possession battle, the same as their overall record
5 - Times two Texans have eclipsed 100 receiving yards in the same game - Andre Johnson (128) and James Casey (126)
20 - Touchdown passes hauled in by Kevin Walter as a Texan, after his fourth-quarter miracle
35 - All-time rank established by Andre Johnson in receptions; he now has 694, and he passed Terrance Mathis (689)
62 - James Casey's first-quarter reception was a career best and also the longest offensive play for the Texans this season
74 - Consecutive starts for right tackle Eric Winston
99.6 - Drew Brees' passer rating, in a win
103.9 - Matt Schaub's passer rating, in a loss
36 -- Neil Rackers' league-leading scoring total, tied with Calvin Johnson of Detroit

THREE GOOD THINGS, THREE BAD THINGS
GOOD
1) The Texans wasted fullback James Casey's coming-out party. He was a vital part of the game plan because Kevin Walter (shoulder) and Jacoby Jones (knee) weren't 100 percent. Gary Kubiak needed another weapon, and Casey provided it with five catches for 126 yards (25.2 average) and a touchdown.

2) Last season, the Texans were notorious slow starters, but they got off to another fast start. This time, they scored a touchdown and kicked a field goal on their first two possessions for a 10-0 lead.

3) Cornerback Johnathan Joseph and free safety Danieal Manning intercepted Drew Brees and turned them into two scores a Neil Rackers field goal and a James Casey touchdown reception.

BAD
1) The offense reached the red zone five times and scored one touchdown. That's a pathetic 20-percent success rate. Scoring touchdowns in the red zone was a problem at Miami, too.
2) When the Saints went to an empty backfield, rather than get pressure on quarterback Drew Brees, the defense looked confused, igniting a fourth-quarter collapse. Brees threw for 204 yards and two touchdowns in the fourth quarter. They scored touchdowns on three consecutive possessions and added two-point conversion passes after two of them.
3) With the exception of Neil Rackers being perfect on 4 field goal attempts, there was nothing special about the special teams. With 12:32 left in the game, the Texans led 26-17 and forced the Saints to punt. Rookie Brooks Reed was called for an illegal block, moving the field position to the 14. After three plays netted 1 yard, Brett Hartmann had a 34-yard punt that gave the Saints the ball at the Houston 49, setting the stage for the first of three consecutive touchdown drives.

THEY SAID IT
"An encouraging thing? Well, I guess we played well in a shootout. But today there's no column for playing well in a shootout. It's only wins and losses." tight end Joel Dreessen when asked if there was any good to come out of the game.

"If we had gotten them off the field on third down, they wouldn't have been unstoppable. When you don't get them off the field on third down, that's what can happen. We have to go back to the drawing board and get the defense fixed." DE Antonio Smith when asked if the Saints' offense was unstoppable in the fourth quarter.

"It's all about finishing, and we didn't finish. The fourth quarter is when good defenses step up, and we didn't do that today. When it was time to step up and stop them, we couldn't do it." inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans on the defensive failures in the fourth quarter

Thorn
Awww......for Christ's sake here we ****ing go again. Predictions of either doom and goom OR playoffs are a tad early, don't yall think? The season is still young, and we've got 13 games yet to play.

And whether yall like it or not, until the Texans prove Dexman is wrong, he's still right.

silvrhand
We have been, up to this point in time, the same ol' Texans.
I remain hopeful this will change.

Do you hit every thread and just complain endlessly about how the texans suck and who's to blame. You should take a couple days off before posting after a win/loss and put it in perspective..

Jeeseh

houstonspartan
09-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Lol. I agree. I'm sick of the "this loss just FEELS different" comment. What does that even mean?

Texan_Bill
09-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Lol. I agree. I'm sick of the "this loss just FEELS different" comment. What does that even mean?

What those people are suggesting is that game 3's loss last season, where the Cowboys simply dominated the entire game leaving no chance of a Texans wn. This year's game was at least competitive.

Dishman
09-26-2011, 10:54 AM

You said it! A loss feels like a loss. A good opportunity blown. I'm not sure why some people are so comfy with what was witnessed yesterday. People are acting like this team has proven something after last year's debacle and this simply is not the case.

I pray Dexman doesn't have 5-7 start to add to his sig again this year. He's been awfully on point and I'm not sure why people want to easily dismiss what he says. Who cares if the truth hurts?

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 12:49 PM
I'll be one of those people, because I don't think this version of the Steelers are contenders.

That's OK. The Texans play the Raiders in week 5 and the Ravens in week 6. They're contenders.

So we should dominate. If we are who we think we are & they are who you think they are, we should dominate, start to finish.

If they are contenders & we're pretenders, we should get routed.

If we are both contenders, or both pretenders, it's going to go to the wire....

& this is why you have to have a little asterisk by strength-of-schedule. We aren't the same team we were last year & none of the teams on our schedule are the same either. This is early in the year & we're trying to figure out who we are & who they are.

I agree, we shouldn't have put the Saints down as a should win, they started the season looking better than they did last year (lost to Greenbay & all).

But the Steelers, I agree with Lucky. They don't look like contenders so far.

But you can never count them out, until they are out.

DexmanC
09-26-2011, 12:57 PM
Do you hit every thread and just complain endlessly about how the texans suck and who's to blame. You should take a couple days off before posting after a win/loss and put it in perspective..

Jeeseh

The Texans suck this week. That's not my fault.
:tiphat:

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
2) When the Saints went to an empty backfield, rather than get pressure on quarterback Drew Brees, the defense looked confused, igniting a fourth-quarter collapse.

THEY SAID IT

"If we had gotten them off the field on third down, they wouldn't have been unstoppable. When you don't get them off the field on third down, that's what can happen. We have to go back to the drawing board and get the defense fixed." DE Antonio Smith when asked if the Saints' offense was unstoppable in the fourth quarter.

"It's all about finishing, and we didn't finish. The fourth quarter is when good defenses step up, and we didn't do that today. When it was time to step up and stop them, we couldn't do it." inside linebacker DeMeco Ryans on the defensive failures in the fourth quarter

I totally agree with what our players said here.

We had a defensive breakdown in the 4th Qtr. But I don't think it's doom & gloom. I think we can fix it... Wade on the sideline, I think our chances are better than fiddy

I have faith in Demeco, Antonio, & Cushing.

This won't happen again.

DexmanC
09-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I totally agree with what our players said here.

We had a defensive breakdown in the 4th Qtr. But I don't think it's doom & gloom. I think we can fix it... Wade on the sideline, I think our chances are better than fiddy

I have faith in Demeco, Antonio, & Cushing.

This won't happen again.

You gotta admit. This team's fourth quarter collapse was
eerily similar to what happened in Denver last year.

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 01:06 PM
You said it! A loss feels like a loss. A good opportunity blown. I'm not sure why some people are so comfy with what was witnessed yesterday. People are acting like this team has proven something after last year's debacle and this simply is not the case.

I pray Dexman doesn't have 5-7 start to add to his sig again this year. He's been awfully on point and I'm not sure why people want to easily dismiss what he says. Who cares if the truth hurts?

This does feel like the Ravens game doesn't it.

We owned for the first three Qtrs & gave it up in the four......

Wait a minute, that didn't happen.

thunderkyss
09-26-2011, 01:07 PM
You gotta admit. This team's fourth quarter collapse was
eerily similar to what happened in Denver last year.

I'll have to revisit that game. I thought TBow owned us for 4 Qtrs.

RazorOye
09-26-2011, 01:49 PM
FOURTH QUARTER
Key stat: The Saints entered the final quarter with a total of 17 points, yet they scored 23 in the last 15 minutes of regulation.
Key player: Have to give credit where it's due - Drew Brees was masterful late, throwing for 163 of his 370 yards and two touchdowns in the last quarter.

not sure if this was posted in another thread or not, but re: Brees's play in that fourth quarter, on the final drive, Payton said that Brees made all of the playcalls on that drive.

http://twitter.com/#!/jeffduncantp

jeffduncantp Jeff Duncan
Sean Payton said Drew Brees called all of the plays at the line of scrimmage during the fourth quarter when the club went to the hurry-up O.

b0ng
09-26-2011, 02:19 PM

This is the very reason this team has never been 3-0, nor have
they ever been 3 games over .500.

We just watched the frickin' bills beat a contending team to go
3-0 for the first time in forever. The frickin lions just went 3-0.
Sheeeeeeesssshhhhh!!!

we all know kubiak should've been fired three seasons ago!

Go ahead. Enjoy every stat except a win.

cut my life into pieces
this is my last resort

TexansForTheW
10-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Bump. Fun to read these after we win against a good team. Cmon Dexman, after all the bashing on Kubes you have done(deservingly so at times). Give him some credit for his 3rd quarter rallying session.

ziggy29
10-03-2011, 02:21 PM
Bump. Fun to read these after we win against a good team. Cmon Dexman, after all the bashing on Kubes you have done(deservingly so at times). Give him some credit for his 3rd quarter rallying session.
Agreed. I really hope this was a "statement" game for the team. As I said after the Saints game, I was hoping that the loss was more a reflection on the quality of the opponent than on the "same old Kubiak team" idea. I was skeptical, but *a bit* less so now.

I don't think I've ever seen a Texans defense pin its ears down and be so dominant in a close 4th quarter game situation. I don't remember ever seeing a Kubiak team playing with this intensity down the stretch, making big play after another in the clutch. It was wonderful to see and, I hope, a sign of things to come. :fans:

Ole Miss Texan
10-03-2011, 02:43 PM
cut my life into pieces
this is my last resort

cause i'm losing my sight, losing my mind
wish somebody would tell me i'm fine.

DBCooper
10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
There is so much sunshine and rainbows around here I keep thinking I'm logged into the main board.

I'm waiting for the "my little pony" avatar to show up.

DexmanC
10-03-2011, 02:57 PM
It took six years for this coach to get a win in the context I described at the beginning,
of this thread. The must be more. My main gripe with Kubiak has always been the lack
of results. Hopefully Sunday was he beginning of a new era, and not a fluke. I'll continue to update my sig through the end of the 12th game.

Keep in mind we started 4-2 last year, and pardon me if I continue to tap the pack
of Kool-Aid against my hand, and am slow to open it just yet.

Dutchrudder
10-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Honestly, the Steelers don't look like contenders this year. Beat the Ravens or Raiders and I'll be impressed.

Vinnie
10-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Honestly, the Steelers don't look like contenders this year. Beat the Ravens or Raiders and I'll be impressed.

Yeah, I have to agree with this.

thunderkyss
10-03-2011, 03:04 PM
It took six years for this coach to get a win in the context I described at the beginning,
of this thread. The must be more. My main gripe with Kubiak has always been the lack
of results. Hopefully Sunday was he beginning of a new era, and not a fluke. I'll continue to update my sig through the end of the 12th game.

Keep in mind we started 4-2 last year, and pardon me if I continue to tap the pack
of Kool-Aid against my hand, and am slow to open it just yet.

Right now, it's hard to call the Steelers a contending team. We're really in wait & see mode to see what these Steelers do.

Don't they have a history of slumping after a Super Bowl appearance?

Beat me to it

Trail.Blazr
10-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Beat the Raiders... lol. I hear you, but don't believe what I'm hearing.

After 4 weeks, the NFL is starting to take shape and what I've seen so far is the Texans have played 1 really good team and lost.

Bright side.. I don't see another opponent as challenging as what the Saints offered during the regular season.

Dex's sig will fall apart this season. That's all but a lock. Our next true caliber test will likely be in the post season. Other than that, we either lose an "any given sunday" team or beat ourselves along the way, but at the 1/4 point... This should be a 10-12 win team.

What I would like to see is along the way, the Texans learn to play on the edge. This was a term that was discussed in the GB game yesterday, where the coaching staff wanted the Packers to put a full 4 quarters of "playing on the edge" together.

Texans biggest vise at this point is learning to play with a lead.

TexansFanatic
10-03-2011, 03:12 PM

The Steelers are 2 and 2 and clearly on their way down.

Sorry, folks, yesterday's game is still not clear evidence that the Texans are for real. In fact, the Steelers should have been beaten in a blowout and weren't....

HTown2ATX
10-03-2011, 03:12 PM

I was impressed with the defense and winning what was a flag filled, injury filled tough game.

But I agree, Raiders not so much, but Ravens, especially after I saw them last night....THAT would be some shit to beat them!!!

:cool:

Double Barrel
10-03-2011, 03:15 PM
The Steelers are still the defending AFC Conference Champions. They are a quality organization and it was a solid win yesterday.

Last week a lot was said about beating the Steelers. Why have they been downgraded now? Because the Texans beat them? :um:

Texan_Bill
10-03-2011, 03:16 PM
The Steelers are still the defending AFC Conference Champions. They are a quality organization and it was a solid win yesterday.

Last week a lot was said about beating the Steelers. Why have they been downgraded now? Because the Texans beat them? :um:

Yes.... But then again, it was our "Super Bowl" :gun:

thunderkyss
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM
The Steelers are 2 and 2 and clearly on their way down.

Sorry, folks, yesterday's game is still not clear evidence that the Texans are for real. In fact, the Steelers should have been beaten in a blowout and weren't....

The team is playing better than last year, but so far we are following the same pattern.

Win.... win... lose..... win...

Week 5 was an inexcusable loss at home where the Koolaide truck was turned over before it made it to Kirby.

The Giants weren't playing unusually well, they started the year 2-2 by the time they came into Houston already losing to two AFCS teams (Indy & Tacks).

They exploited weaknesses on both sides of the ball & wrote the blue-print for whup'n our ass that we saw for the rest of the year.

The Raiders are bringing the #1 rushing team into Houston... We have issues stopping the run.

IMO, this is going to be about our offense. Their D is nothing.. we should be able to get an early lead, a big one, take the running game out of the picture & pin our ears back.

If you're not starting the Houston Texans defense in your fantasy league, you're making a big, big mistake.

Dutchrudder
10-03-2011, 03:43 PM
The team is playing better than last year, but so far we are following the same pattern.

Win.... win... lose..... win...

Week 5 was an inexcusable loss at home where the Koolaide truck was turned over before it made it to Kirby.

The Giants weren't playing unusually well, they started the year 2-2 by the time they came into Houston already losing to two AFCS teams (Indy & Tacks).

They exploited weaknesses on both sides of the ball & wrote the blue-print for whup'n our ass that we saw for the rest of the year.

The Raiders are bringing the #1 rushing team into Houston... We have issues stopping the run.

IMO, this is going to be about our offense. Their D is nothing.. we should be able to get an early lead, a big one, take the running game out of the picture & pin our ears back.

If you're not starting the Houston Texans defense in your fantasy league, you're making a big, big mistake.

Rashard Mendenhall is no Run DMC. I think people are underestimating the Raiders this year because the ghost of Al Davis still haunts that team. They have a great run-game, but a poor defense, a lot like the Texans of 2010. They could be quite formidable this year, and given our mediocre run-d so far, beating them actually seems like a quality win to me.

Dutchrudder
10-03-2011, 03:47 PM

The 2011 Steelers are nothing like the 2010 Steelers. Mendenhall can't get the run game going behind a dysfunctional o-line and Big Ben's getting slapped around like a drunk chick in a bathroom. Sure, in the preseason everyone thought they would be a top 4 team in the AFC, but now it looks like the Browns or Bengals will get a wild card spot over them. The Ravens are clearly the best team in the AFC North so far.

FirstTexansFan
10-03-2011, 03:48 PM

You hit the nail on the head DB :) It was great to be in the stadium yesterday to witness this game. Without the refs constant interference, this game was easily controlled by the Texans. The opponent was last years AFC representative in the Super Bowl, the arguments to that fact show a clear bias. Sorry guys... the rainbow loving, kool-aid drinkers are here to stay. Put a smile on your face, and get used to our new found success... I'm buying into the positive vibes :)

thunderkyss
10-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Rashard Mendenhall is no Run DMC. I think people are underestimating the Raiders this year because the ghost of Al Davis still haunts that team. They have a great run-game, but a poor defense, a lot like the Texans of 2010. They could be quite formidable this year, and given our mediocre run-d so far, beating them actually seems like a quality win to me.

I think we are agreeing right?

Anyway, it will be up to our offense to get a lead & continue to build on it until they get completely away from the run game. I'm thinking 3 scores.

If we get a 17 point lead, they should start playing catch up.

If we can put together 10:55 drives, maybe sooner than that.

Double Barrel
10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
The 2011 Steelers are nothing like the 2010 Steelers.

And apparently the 2011 Texans are nothing like the 2010 Texans.

Some folks might take time to adjust. :winky:

JCTexan
10-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Beat the Raiders... lol. I hear you, but don't believe what I'm hearing.

After 4 weeks, the NFL is starting to take shape and what I've seen so far is the Texans have played 1 really good team and lost.

Bright side.. I don't see another opponent as challenging as what the Saints offered during the regular season.

Dex's sig will fall apart this season. That's all but a lock. Our next true caliber test will likely be in the post season. Other than that, we either lose an "any given sunday" team or beat ourselves along the way, but at the 1/4 point... This should be a 10-12 win team.

What I would like to see is along the way, the Texans learn to play on the edge. This was a term that was discussed in the GB game yesterday, where the coaching staff wanted the Packers to put a full 4 quarters of "playing on the edge" together.

Texans biggest vise at this point is learning to play with a lead.

I would simply argue the Baltimore game being the next test. The Texans are 1-18 against winning teams on the road in Kubiak's tenure here. Baltimore won't be an easy game to win on the road.

ziggy29
10-03-2011, 04:07 PM
I would simply argue the Baltimore game being the next test. The Texans are 1-18 against winning teams on the road in Kubiak's tenure here. Baltimore won't be an easy game to win on the road.
I think so. I certainly haven't written that game off as a loss because I think the Texans can win it, but as long as this team shows up, plays hard and competitively for four quarters and doesn't beat itself with turnovers, dumb penalties or questionable play-calling, I won't feel too bad about leaving Baltimore without a victory. It just might make me even more optimistic about the rest of the season if they hang with the Ravens on the road even if they fall a little short.

(No, I'd never be happy with a loss. But a loss in *that* way at Baltimore would still leave me hopeful for the rest of the season, at least if they beat the Raiders along the way.)

DBCooper
10-03-2011, 04:12 PM
And apparently the 2011 Texans are nothing like the 2010 Texans.

Some folks might take time to adjust. :winky:

You're right, man.

I'm just not ready to get all giddy about the Texans yet as if I was a Packer fan.

Dutchrudder
10-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I think we are agreeing right?

Anyway, it will be up to our offense to get a lead & continue to build on it until they get completely away from the run game. I'm thinking 3 scores.

If we get a 17 point lead, they should start playing catch up.

If we can put together 10:55 drives, maybe sooner than that.

Eh kinda, I think the impressiveness of the win will be determined by how we get there. Shutting down the run-game of the Raiders, and winning 24-17 would be impressive to me, but a 38-35 shootout wouldn't be all that impressive to me. Kind of like the Saints game, where the team looked pretty good, but not great. Our offense should put up at least 28 points on the Raiders, but our D needs to keep their offense down, or force FGs. Oakland has 9 rushing TD's this year! That's a lot, and we need to see the Texans man up and play some tough run D in that game.

ziggy29
10-03-2011, 04:13 PM
You're right, man.

I'm just not ready to get all giddy about the Texans yet as if I was a Packer fan.
Yeah. This time it *feels* different, like all the pieces are really coming into place this time, but we've been kicked in the gut too many times to let our guard down completely.

Double Barrel
10-03-2011, 04:14 PM
You're right, man.

I know, man. I'm one cynical mofo, so believing is not easy for me, either.

However, I do see a lot of positives with this year's team, and one of the big positives was the never quit attitude they showed yesterday. And that defense. Oh man, that defense looks hungry, and that's the kind of football that I live to watch!

JCTexan
10-03-2011, 04:14 PM
I think so. I certainly haven't written that game off as a loss because I think the Texans can win it, but as long as this team shows up, plays hard and competitively for four quarters and doesn't beat itself with turnovers, dumb penalties or questionable play-calling, I won't feel too bad about leaving Baltimore without a victory. It just might make me even more optimistic about the rest of the season if they hang with the Ravens on the road even if they fall a little short.

(No, I'd never be happy with a loss. But a loss in *that* way at Baltimore would still leave me hopeful for the rest of the season, at least if they beat the Raiders along the way.)

Agreed. I would still be extremely hopeful if they lost that game and were 4-2 after it. However, going into Baltimore and coming away with a win is the next big test this season.

DBCooper
10-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah. This time it *feels* different, like all the pieces are really coming into place this time, but we've been kicked in the gut too many times to let our guard down completely.

I like being 3-1 though.

And as good as the Ravens played yesterday I gotta remember the Tacks beat em.

DBCooper
10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
I know, man. I'm one cynical mofo, so believing is not easy for me, either.

However, I do see a lot of positives with this year's team, and one of the big positives was the never quit attitude they showed yesterday. And that defense. Oh man, that defense looks hungry, and that's the kind of football that I live to watch!

Me too, I love great D, and have been waiting a long time for us to have one.

Hervoyel
10-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Agreed. I would still be extremely hopeful if they lost that game and were 4-2 after it. However, going into Baltimore and coming away with a win is the next big test this season.

Disagree. Beating the Raiders who we have owned like nobody else other than the Dolphins for some reason and THEN going into Baltimore and coming away with a win..... That is the next big test.

3 in a row. Something (anything) that we can call a win streak. It's time to pull away from .500ish football and start winning regularly. It's time to start beating the good teams as well as the bad teams.

thunderkyss
10-03-2011, 06:06 PM

1-19 after the Saints loss.

Just saying.

DexmanC
10-03-2011, 06:25 PM
The Texans have never been 3 games over .500.
Regarding the Tacks, you gotta consider the fact
they won the division a handful of years ago with
Kerry Collins at QB.

I'd dare say that Hasselbeck provides their best QB play since
McNair. Don't get The Tacks and Jags confused, though BOTH
have owned the Texans dang near every season. The Texans
have to actually PROVE they are worth winning the AFC South.

JCTexan
10-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Disagree. Beating the Raiders who we have owned like nobody else other than the Dolphins for some reason and THEN going into Baltimore and coming away with a win..... That is the next big test.

3 in a row. Something (anything) that we can call a win streak. It's time to pull away from .500ish football and start winning regularly. It's time to start beating the good teams as well as the bad teams.

I'm not overlooking the Raiders game at all but it is a game against a team Houston has beaten regularly in the past & it's at home. I expect a win here. Baltimore on the road will be a lot more challenging in my opinion.

Norg
10-03-2011, 07:27 PM
if by week 12 we clinch a playoff berth and first round bye then im pretty sure we are resting starters for quarters at a time or even games with all the injuries that might happen this year due to no off season its who ever survives to wk16 is going to be the winner

so that game im sensing now is it does matter who u play the first team to clinch the divison wins da game after that shut it down

hradhak
10-03-2011, 07:31 PM
I'd dare say that Hasselbeck provides their best QB play since
McNair. Don't get The Tacks and Jags confused, though BOTH
have owned the Texans dang near every season. The Texans
have to actually PROVE they are worth winning the AFC South.

Not to mention that the week 1 loss was probably due to Hasselbeck not getting enough snaps with the team. He and his receivers and o line will get more of a rhythm as the season wears on. Losing Britt will certainly help us, but we haven't won the division by default as a lot of people have been saying.

The Pencil Neck
10-03-2011, 10:35 PM
The Raiders are a tough team.

They have a great running attack. But they also are giving up over 400 yards per game on defense.

We should beat them and be 4-1 for the first time in our existence and 3 games over 500 for the first time in our existence.

But that game is not a gimme.

I'm not going to look past this game, yet.

Trail.Blazr
10-04-2011, 11:38 AM

Maybe.. but I'm not sold on the Ravens this year. They are a very lopsided team that has relied HEAVILY on defense and Turnovers this year, and fortunately for them have a winning record, because their Offense is not sharp at all. Look at who they have played to date...

wk1 - PIT - Ravens win convincingly thanks to 7 turnovers. It's becoming apparent that Pittsburgh is not the measuring stick of a solid win this year.
wk2 - TEN - Got whipped by Hasselbeck
wk3 - STL - Ho hum...
wk4 - NYJ - Jets can't even hike the ball.

Looking above, realistically, I see 3 teams that are struggling on the OL big time. The one team that you can't say that about, the Ravens got whipped.

Flacco is very inconsistent from one game to the next so far. Our D should pressure him into mistakes. I've seen nothing from him to suggest he's the 2nd coming of Brees.

I don't think the Ravens can dominate our OL. They ARE a "tough" team, and playing them at home... definitely a test, but not at the level of the Saints. This game is very winnable. Challenge Flacco, run the ball and don't turn the ball over... All things we can and should do, to walk away with a W.

Trail.Blazr
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM

This line is one I'd like to dissect separately.
It's a very misleading statistic. Sure it's a very lopsided one, that makes short work out of most argument, however, it's excluding a simple fact... THIS Texans team is 3-1 overall and 1-1 on road. Comparing this team to the two seasons past is weak.

I get it.. in the past we sucked!! no argument there. For those on here who can't recognize our LONG awaited transition from SUCK to ROCK....

I feel sorry for you.

THIS is the time you've been waiting for... JUMP ON!

Allstar
10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
1-19 after the Saints loss.

Just saying.

Saints haven't clinched a winning record yet.

DexmanC
10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
This line is one I'd like to dissect separately.
It's a very misleading statistic. Sure it's a very lopsided one, that makes short work out of most argument, however, it's excluding a simple fact... THIS Texans team is 3-1 overall and 1-1 on road. Comparing this team to the two seasons past is weak.

I get it.. in the past we sucked!! no argument there. For those on here who can't recognize our LONG awaited transition from SUCK to ROCK....

I feel sorry for you.

THIS is the time you've been waiting for... JUMP ON!

That stat includes ALL of the Kubiak-era seasons, including the
two-consecutive "non-losing" seasons, and "the greatest 9-7
record in Texans history.

This team has shown a penchant of losing to good teams on the road, and nearly
NEVER beating them. If you expect to be taken seriously, beat good teams on the road.

Trail.Blazr
10-04-2011, 02:47 PM

NEVER beating them. If you expect to be taken seriously, beat good teams on the road.

Incorrect.

Teams of past have, but... This team has lost 1 game. 1 game does not qualify as a penchant reference.

HJam72
10-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Dexman, you're BOTH right, but his point is that we actually have a good DC for once, making this team incomparable to past seasons.

Yeah, we lost by a TD and extra point in New Orleans, but how many teams wouldn't? Do we have to be a SB contender RIGHT NOW to be respectable? I figure a LOT of teams are not great on the road against a top 5 opponent. I think we turn that 1-19 record around a little bit this year, but it won't be in New Orleans, and it probably won't be in Baltimore either. How 'bout Tennessee? :)

DexmanC
10-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Incorrect.

Teams of past have, but... This team has lost 1 game. 1 game does not qualify as a penchant reference.

I'm talking the SIX-YEAR history of THE CURRENT REGIME.

There is a penchant under the SIX-YEAR Kubiak regime.

He could change that At Tennessee and At Baltimore.

DexmanC
10-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Dexman, you're BOTH right, but his point is that we actually have a good DC for once, making this team incomparable to past seasons.

Yeah, we lost by a TD and extra point in New Orleans, but how many teams wouldn't? Do we have to be a SB contender RIGHT NOW to be respectable? I figure a LOT of teams are not great on the road against a top 5 opponent. I think we turn that 1-19 record around a little bit this year, but it won't be in New Orleans, and it probably won't be in Baltimore either. How 'bout Tennessee? :)

The head coach is still the most important coaching position on the team.
That 1-19 was acquired against teams with WINNING RECORDS, not "top 5
teams." It just further illustrates the fact they've NEVER beaten a "Top 5"
team on the road.

Trail.Blazr
10-05-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm talking the SIX-YEAR history of THE CURRENT REGIME.

There is a penchant under the SIX-YEAR Kubiak regime.

He could change that At Tennessee and At Baltimore.

I understand... I thought you said "This Team".

My bad

DexmanC
10-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Still can't beat conference contenders on the road, in year SIX,
of THIS coach's regime? Why is KUBIAK STILL HERE???

By the way....

This is game TWO of the ANNUAL FOUR-GAME LOSING STREAK.

They've had at least one 4-game losing streak, EVERY YEAR
Kubiak has been here.

ATXtexanfan
10-16-2011, 08:04 PM
as of now, no reason to think we win in tenn, doesn't jax always beat us

thunderkyss
10-16-2011, 08:43 PM

Good thing there aren't any more of those on the schedule.

Endcoachment
10-16-2011, 09:15 PM

Too bad it won't stop kubiak from losing a string of them.

DexmanC
10-16-2011, 10:05 PM

They don't win division games on the road much, either. Got a ton of those
left.

Norg
10-16-2011, 10:28 PM
we surley have beaten a few ?????? i just cant think right NOW :P

didnt we beat the like 13-1 titans one year

DexmanC
10-16-2011, 11:25 PM
we surley have beaten a few ?????? i just cant think right NOW :P

didnt we beat the like 13-1 titans one year

Those "...'s" are there for a reason. Go read the first post.
The Titans had already clinched the division at that time, and a 1st
round bye. They were playing the game in a way to minimize injuries,
not to maximize their chance to win. These are pretty much the
ONLY occasions the Texans can get a win against a REAL team.

Much like the game against the Patriots that saved them from a
3rd-consecutive 8-8 season.

J_R
10-17-2011, 12:07 AM
1-18 vs winning teams on the road

RoFloESPN Robert Flores
From @ESPNStatsInfo since Kubiak 1st yr in 06, #Texans are 1-18 on ROAD against teams that eventually finished that season w winning record.

Went to check and sure enough...

texanhead08
10-17-2011, 09:11 AM
1-19 on the road don't lie.

Double Barrel
10-17-2011, 11:17 AM
Much like the game against the Patriots that saved them from a
3rd-consecutive 8-8 season.

What's funny about that Patriots game is that many Texans fans have sworn the Patriots were trying to win that game.

Unfortunately (for those Texans fans), actual video of Belichick proves otherwise. He was featured on NFLN's "A Football Life" a few weeks ago, and it was filmed during the 2009 season. They went into that game knowing that they would pull starters. Their goal was not to win it, but to keep players from getting hurt before the playoffs. This is a strategy concept that most likely seems alien to many Texans fans, all things considered.

TexansBull
10-17-2011, 11:36 AM
of THIS coach's regime? Why is KUBIAK STILL HERE???

By the way....

This is game TWO of the ANNUAL FOUR-GAME LOSING STREAK.

They've had at least one 4-game losing streak, EVERY YEAR
Kubiak has been here.

Dude, you are ruining the taste of my koolaide when you use accurate past data to prove you point and forecast what is going to happen. Stop it.

Seriously, coincidences are no longer coincidences, they are annual occurrences. Bad ones. Kubiak has to change a lot of stuff the rest of the season.

I will rep you later for bringing it to my attention.

BigBull17
10-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Nope. I almost HOPE we don't squeak into the play-offs. Wade can stay as DC, but everyone else needs to get got. Ship Shammy's ass with Pubes and draft a rookie QB. Move up if you have too. Teams turn shit around with rookies and coach changes all the time. **** Smith and **** Gary.

Doppelganger
11-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Read again.

The Texans have now gotten to 6-3 and are 3 games over .500 for the first time. Since you made this post on 9/25/11, the Texans have beaten: Pitt, Ten, Jax, and Cleveland. They lost to Oakland and Baltimore. Since the Texans have now gotten to 3 games over .500 and have beaten 1 contender (Pitt), would you say your tune has changed?

DexmanC
11-06-2011, 05:41 PM
The Texans have now gotten to 6-3 and are 3 games over .500 for the first time. Since you made this post on 9/25/11, the Texans have beaten: Pitt, Ten, Jax, and Cleveland. They lost to Oakland and Baltimore. Since the Texans have now gotten to 3 games over .500 and have beaten 1 contender (Pitt), would you say your tune has changed?

I'd have to admit that I'm quite impressed. They have yet to go "space cadet"
after stringing together a win or two. Their game-in game-out focus
has been remarkable. Let's see them keep it up.

thunderkyss
11-06-2011, 06:48 PM

This is a different Texans team..... period.

If they go on to win next week, handing the Bucs their second loss in as many weeks.... the bandwagon is going to get aweful crowded.

Doppelganger
11-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I'd have to admit that I'm quite impressed. They have yet to go "space cadet"
after stringing together a win or two. Their game-in game-out focus
has been remarkable. Let's see them keep it up.

I also have been impressed, but next week will be an important game. It will be an excellent gauge for the team's progress. The Bucs are 4-4 and are playing for their season. If the Bucs lose, they go to 4-5 and drop a couple of games behind the WC contenders. If the Bucs win, they keep pace and keep their dream of the playoffs alive.

Next week will be a playoff game for the Bucs. If the Texans have indeed turned the corner, they will go into Tampa and beat the Bucs. If they beat the Bucs, they go into the bye 7-3 and begin the final stretch with confidence. If they lose, they go into the bye at 6-4 and have doubts.