PDA

View Full Version : Best playercallers in NFL - Noteable mention - Kubiak/Dennison

Section516
09-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Notable
It's a play-calling tandem, but Gary Kubiak and Rick Dennison have been fantastic in Houston. This is a zone-blocking team from the Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan school, and these two stay true to the run, use play-action effectively and get the tight end involved. One thing you'll notice is how they do a great job of changing the launch point for Matt Schaub. What this means is that they've taken an immobile quarterback and mixed up his drops -- you see a mixture of 3-,5- and 7-step drops along with bootlegs and half roll-outs -- so defenders can't get a consistent read on him. They also do a great job with Andre Johnson. That he gets open at all, given the target on his back, is a credit to the coaches. They also use crossing routes effectively, something of a lost art in the league.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7007822/nfl-tampa-bay-buccaneers-buffalo-bills-coaches-deserve-play-calling-credit

eriadoc
09-23-2011, 04:11 PM
I can think of a couple Kubiak playcalls that deserve notable mention.

Vinny
09-23-2011, 04:14 PM
I think Kubiak has improved as a playcaller. Early on I think he was way, way, way too cute...smartest guy in the room stuff. I haven't been a huge Kubiak supporter, but I do think he is maturing as a HC, so I'll give him some props here.

TimeKiller
09-23-2011, 04:42 PM
The designs under Dennison have been much more effective than any previous OC. Maybe that's more talent too but it's not like the Texans have been using 1st round picks on offense every year. He's also the first OC that really seems to be of the same philosophy as Kubiak. So I think it has a good bit to do with Dennison.

Kaiser Toro
09-23-2011, 05:14 PM
When did Joe Gibbs get credit for "pioneering" zone blocking? :vincepalm:

dalemurphy
09-23-2011, 05:18 PM
I think the biggest problem with the offense in '08 and '09 was the unhealthy respect and admiration Kubiak had for Alex Gibbs. Once they were out from his shadow, the offense really took off. He certainly helped the O-line develop, but I think his dogmatic idealism doesn't fit in today's NFL.

Thorn
09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
Kubiak is the best offensive coordinator in the NFL, bar none. Between him and Wade we should be a kick ass team as long as Kubiak doesn't blow it.

Playoffs
09-23-2011, 10:45 PM
When did Joe Gibbs get credit for "pioneering" zone blocking?
That would be his cousin Alex. :smiliepalm:

kiwitexansfan
09-24-2011, 02:00 AM
Kubiak is the best offensive coordinator in the NFL, bar none. Between him and Wade we should be a kick ass team as long as Kubiak doesn't blow it.

I think you're right here.

Actually if we had these two guys and a head coach we'd be golden.

DocBar
09-24-2011, 04:05 AM
I think Kyle Shannahan is turning into a very good play caller and OC.

b0ng
09-24-2011, 09:30 AM

McCarthy? Payton? Cyborg Peyton Manning?

spurstexanstros
09-24-2011, 09:47 AM
....so who called the Chris Brown half back option or who told matt not to snap ball before indy...I like Kubiak n all, but those were some mistakes that cost us playoffs that year.

hradhak
09-24-2011, 09:36 PM
....so who called the Chris Brown half back option or who told matt not to snap ball before indy...I like Kubiak n all, but those were some mistakes that cost us playoffs that year.

I think he has largely moved away from getting too cute. With the exception of the 2nd Indy game last season, I think his offensive playing calling was very good last year

Rey
09-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't watch enough of other teams to really say. I've seen questionable play calls from a lot of teams.

I don't know where kubiak ranks exactly, but he is up there for sure.