PDA

View Full Version : Key Texan against Saints

badboy
09-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Which player or coach will be biggest factor in a Texans win?

Norg
09-23-2011, 01:36 AM
I would say our QB Matt schaub :kitten:

TexanSam
09-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Ben Tate. Just pounding the ball effectively and running the clock will help neutralize the Saints offense. The longer they're off the field the better.

Vinny
09-23-2011, 02:00 AM
first real test for the secondary. Wade won't be able to flood the gaps and zone up the back end against the Saints high powered attack. It wouldn't shock me to see us give up some points, but it also wouldn't shock me to see us keep them under 20 since the defense looks so disciplined and active so far. Teams start breaking down film and exploiting holes as the defense accumulates snaps. The Saints have two good games to look at while the Dolphins and the Colts only really had old Cowboy film to watch. Manning overplays his coverage responsibility at times. Brees can exploit this.

TheGoldenGreek
09-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Wade Phillips vs Drew Brees is the key IMO. It all depends on if Wade is able to disguise the blitzes well enough to pressure Brees and make him uncomfortable.

Rey
09-23-2011, 02:55 AM
Wade Phillips vs Drew Brees is the key IMO. It all depends on if Wade is able to disguise the blitzes well enough to pressure Brees and make him uncomfortable.

I agree to a certain extent. This isn't exactly like chess where pieces are just moved into position. . .guys still have to make plays once they are put into position.

Personally, I think the biggest match up will be our entire defense vs drew brees and Darren sproles. Those are the two guys who can consistently change a game in the blink of and eye. Get pressure on brees, disguise your coverages and keep sproles from making big plays on screen and special teams and I think we win.

Allstar
09-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Comes down to our Pressure on Brees and our running game. Not sure if a single player is the key, but I'll go Mario.

76Texan
09-23-2011, 09:21 AM
One of the keys, IMO, is how well Schaub and Tate (if he plays nearly as much as last game) pick up the blitz.

I hope they don't get to Schaub early and caused him to be off him normal game.

I hope that Kubiak game-plan to account for the blitz early on so that our offense can establish a rythm, especially that the game will be played on their turf.

HOUFan
09-23-2011, 09:28 AM

I have to agree, it comes down to our defense putting pressure and what Wade draws up for our defense. If we can pressure Brees and take the crowd out of the game early then I like our chances to get an early lead.

False Start
09-23-2011, 09:36 AM
As others have said, its Wade. I would like to see his history vs the current Saints roster, with Brees etc.

DocBar
09-23-2011, 09:47 AM
I agree to a certain extent. This isn't exactly like chess where pieces are just moved into position. . .guys still have to make plays once they are put into position.

Personally, I think the biggest match up will be our entire defense vs drew brees and Darren sproles. Those are the two guys who can consistently change a game in the blink of and eye. Get pressure on brees, disguise your coverages and keep sproles from making big plays on screen and special teams and I think we win.And have the DL sWATTing at balls if they aren't getting to the QB. Brees is short for a QB and maybe we can change his throwing lanes enough to mess his timing and accuracy up.

SaintRusty
09-23-2011, 09:51 AM
And have the DL sWATTing at balls if they aren't getting to the QB. Brees is short for a QB and maybe we can change his throwing lanes enough to mess his timing and accuracy up.

He has had trouble with this in the past, although it hasn't really been a problem since 09. Not a bad idea though.

2slik4u
09-23-2011, 09:51 AM
I would say its Jonathan Joseph....

OR

Mario Willams.

Either one effects the other....you know, that whole chicken or the egg arguement.

HOU-TEX
09-23-2011, 09:56 AM
The entire Oline.

I have little doubt the Saints are going to score points. We just need to score more and our Oline must keep Schaub somewhat clean and give Tate/Foster some seams.

DocBar
09-23-2011, 09:57 AM
He has had trouble with this in the past, although it hasn't really been a problem since 09. Not a bad idea though.I think that's why he tends to throw longer passes. It gives him a higher launch angle to compensate for his height. I'm looking for any advantage the Texans DL can get.

b0ng
09-23-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't agree that it's Phillips vs Brees because I think Sean Payton plays just as big of a role with what the offense does, as Brees does.

And honestly, I think our offense getting points on what I consider an overrated Saints defense is key to me. I can't point to one player or coach (I guess Kubiak/Dennison), because I think the entire offense needs to play a really solid game to give us the best shot of winning. While our defense is good, I don't think we're going to be winning this game 10 - 7 or 16 - 13.

False Start
09-23-2011, 10:49 AM
The entire Oline.

I have little doubt the Saints are going to score points. We just need to score more and our Oline must keep Schaub somewhat clean and give Tate/Foster some seams.

Yeah, lets hope Winston has a better game than he did vs Miami.

HOU-TEX
09-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, lets hope Winston has a better game than he did vs Miami.

True, he definitely needs to. Wade Smith had a bit of a rough outing too. I thought Wade was awesome last season and expect him to rebound.

TexansForTheW
09-23-2011, 11:50 AM
I think Mario will have a huge game. Just one of those feelings.

cuppacoffee
09-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Quick passes to whomever is playing TE.

:coffee:

Texan_Bill
09-23-2011, 11:59 AM
It's not a question of a "Key Texan against Saints"..

It's all about me, versus my bottle!!! I've got me in a landslide!

76Texan
09-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Quick passes to whomever is playing TE.

:coffee:

Agree!

Overall, I think the Saints coverage is their weakness.

Our TEs should have a good game.

And if we can iso AJ on Patrick Robinson, it will be a killing field! :turtle:

Whoever lines up in the slot for us should also be used.

Basically, if Schaub has a little time, our passing game should be montrous!
(Knock on wood).

76Texan
09-23-2011, 12:14 PM

It's all about me, versus my bottle!!! I've got me in a landslide!

TB, you need to take on "the keg", then may be there's some competition! :runaway:

Thorn
09-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Given everything I've read so far, I believe the key to victory is scoring more points than the Saints do. :turtle:

El Tejano
09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
The Key Texan for the game on Sunday is how well the #2 WR plays for us - whoever he is.

Also I'm sure Sean Payton and Drew Brees have been licking their chops looking at Kareem Jackson highlights.

DX-TEX
09-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Given everything I've read so far, I believe the key to victory is scoring more points than the Saints do. :turtle:

Thats some deep insight. You have a news letter I can subscribe to?:whip:

Thorn
09-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Thats some deep insight. You have a news letter I can subscribe to?:whip:

:lol:

Sure. Send me 10 bucks and I'll send you the URL.

badboy
09-23-2011, 01:02 PM

It's all about me, versus my bottle!!! I've got me in a landslide!You keep drinking where you shouldn't be drinking. One of these days that bottle is gonna walk all over you.

badboy
09-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Given everything I've read so far, I believe the key to victory is scoring more points than the Saints do. :turtle:Ok Mr. Intelligencia, how? Field goals, AJ, JJ, Rbs, TEs, QB in red zone, defense? Comeon horney thorny, take a risk and predict something. :user:

Thorn
09-23-2011, 01:30 PM
Ok Mr. Intelligencia, how? Field goals, AJ, JJ, Rbs, TEs, QB in red zone, defense? Comeon horney thorny, take a risk and predict something. :user:

Field goals - the goal of any team on the field is to score points

AJ - The Terminator, he'll always be back and he never ever stops

JJ - Nope, he'll be on his bycycle on the sidelines

Rbs - everyone should have a health portion of ribs while watching the game

TEs - discussing tight ends while watching other men in uniforms is something I don't really care to dicsuss. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

QB in red zone - Red Zone never posts in here, and if he did, it'd be something about the Saints team name is for a liberal organization in disguise.

defense - Wade rocks and the liberal Saints fall!

horney thorny - Well, I am a dirty old man, so I guess the less said the better.

badboy
09-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Field goals - the goal of any team on the field is to score points

AJ - The Terminator, he'll always be back and he never ever stops

JJ - Nope, he'll be on his bycycle on the sidelines

Rbs - everyone should have a health portion of ribs while watching the game

TEs - discussing tight ends while watching other men in uniforms is something I don't really care to dicsuss. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

QB in red zone - Red Zone never posts in here, and if he did, it'd be something about the Saints team name is for a liberal organization in disguise.

defense - Wade rocks and the liberal Saints fall!

horney thorny - Well, I am a dirty old man, so I guess the less said the better.You are hilarious. I was going to say tight ends but not after what you said.

bus driver
09-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I would say the key match up is Ben Tate (or Foster if he's healthy) against the Saints D-line. We signed two high-profile DTs (Shaun Rogers and Aubrayo Franklin) and our interior has been killed this season. If the Texans can gash our D-line, it'll be a long day for the Saints. Having Will Smith back will definitely help us, though.

Another key area (seems obvious) is our pass rush verse Houston's O-line. No QB pressure against Green Bay means Aaron Rodgers torches our secondary. QB pressure against Chicago won the game for us.

Ndevine7
09-23-2011, 02:21 PM
One player that scares me a big and isnt being talked about much is Devery Henderson. He had a bit of a poor 2010 season but looks on key this season. He is by far one if not the fastest player on the field. He also is going to see increased targets as Colston is still out. I am afraid that our S/CB will let him get over the top and thats basically an automatic touchdown if Brees can get him the ball. While I know everyone is spotlighting Brees and Sproles, Henderson is a scary weapon that we need to make sure we keep him under control

thunderkyss
09-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Ben Tate. Just pounding the ball effectively and running the clock will help neutralize the Saints offense. The longer they're off the field the better.

I agree with the reasoning, but if this is the case, it's going to be about the front 5.

thunderkyss
09-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I hope they don't get to Schaub early and caused him to be off him normal game.

I hope his normal game doesn't include a pick 6.

The crowd's already going to be unbearable without any help from us.

Vinnie
09-23-2011, 02:57 PM
I think the key player in this game will most definitely be David Anderson.

beerlover
09-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Texans win takeaway's they will win the game :pursefight:

Playoffs
09-23-2011, 11:24 PM
I think this one will be on Matt getting them into the right play-call and his execution.

DocBar
09-23-2011, 11:31 PM
I don't think the key Texan will be on the field Sunday. Wade Phillips is going to be the key to this game. He'll keep the defense from freaking out if Brees hits a couple of big plays and will take Kubiak's headset away if he starts making boneheaded play calls or challenges.

Shaft75
09-23-2011, 11:37 PM
It's going to be either Kevin Walters, JJ Watts, or Dashiki Ryans.

But seriously I think our run defense needs to tighten up. So I'm going with the NT's Steve Cody or Early Mitchell.

badboy
09-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Interesting how many different views on this subject. I think that is a very good thing that so many different players could be the good guy.

Lucky
09-24-2011, 04:30 PM
You're wrong, as usual (and by "wrong", I mean drunk). The key is allowing keeping the Saints from scoring more that the Texans. Only 21 hours to kickoff. Pull it together, man.

I think the key player in this game will most definitely be David Anderson.
Rep for the obligatory irrelevent David Anderson insertion. His fan boys should be ecstatic.

How about a key number? Try 132. In the past 18 games (the Rick Dennison era, if you will), the Texans are 7-1 when rushing for 132 yards, or more. A 1-10 mark when under the number. The Saints defense has allowed 132+ in only 4 of the past 18 games.

DX-TEX
09-24-2011, 04:50 PM
You're wrong, as usual (and by "wrong", I mean drunk). The key is allowing keeping the Saints from scoring more that the Texans. Only 21 hours to kickoff. Pull it together, man.

Rep for the obligatory irrelevent David Anderson insertion. His fan boys should be ecstatic.

How about a key number? Try 132. In the past 18 games (the Rick Dennison era, if you will), the Texans are 7-1 when rushing for 132 yards, or more. A 1-10 mark when under the number. The Saints defense has allowed 132+ in only 4 of the past 18 games.

I have read every preview of this game online that I can find and they all basically say the same thing: the game is a wash. Picking the Saints because they are the home team. I dont disagree with this at all but I feel if Arian plays the Texans chances go up a ton. I dont kbnow why just a gut feeling that he could potentially have a big game.

DocBar
09-24-2011, 05:05 PM

How about a key number? Try 132. In the past 18 games (the Rick Dennison era, if you will), the Texans are 7-1 when rushing for 132 yards, or more. A 1-10 mark when under the number. The Saints defense has allowed 132+ in only 4 of the past 18 games.Huh? Are you hitting the catnip a bit too? :D
I do like the key number. MSR.

DocBar
09-24-2011, 05:09 PM
I have read every preview of this game online that I can find and they all basically say the same thing: the game is a wash. Picking the Saints because they are the home team. I dont disagree with this at all but I feel if Arian plays the Texans chances go up a ton. I dont kbnow why just a gut feeling that he could potentially have a big game.If Foster's hammy is ok, this is a game that will be a big one for him. With all the exotic blitzes calls, there will be huge areas of open field where Foster's excellent vision, elusiveness and speed will be full display. I don't think Tate has developed the vision and elusiveness of Foster yet. He's still a load and should have a great game, also.

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 05:12 PM
If Foster's hammy is ok, this is a game that will be a big one for him. With all the exotic blitzes calls, there will be huge areas of open field where Foster's excellent vision, elusiveness and speed will be full display. I don't think Tate has developed the vision and elusiveness of Foster yet. He's still a load and should have a great game, also.

Don't be surprised if you see far less blitzing. Getting Will Smith back from suspension will open up more traditional rushing. That said, there will be the occasional corner or safety blitz and you'll see Casillas a couple of times from the outside.

DocBar
09-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Don't be surprised if you see far less blitzing. Getting Will Smith back from suspension will open up more traditional rushing. That said, there will be the occasional corner or safety blitz and you'll see Casillas a couple of times from the outside.To be honest, I have no idea what to expect from a Gregg Williams defense. He tries to be so unconventional that it makes it difficult to predict which way he's gonna jump.

RazorOye
09-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Overall, I think the Saints coverage is their weakness.

Our TEs should have a good game.

our secondary is the strength of our defense. Porter's injury hurts and though PRob has shown a lot of improvement and Patrick is a bit of a baller they are both young.

Jabari Greer has been terrific this year.

Now, if by coverage you mean the TE (which you might based on the second half of what I quoted), you're right. Covering the TE can be rough. Harper or Herring? Ouch...

But I'd put our CB and depth at CB up with most any other unit in the league.

And Malcom Jenkins at FS is arguably the best player on our defense.

I would say the key match up is Ben Tate (or Foster if he's healthy) against the Saints D-line. We signed two high-profile DTs (Shaun Rogers and Aubrayo Franklin) and our interior has been killed this season.

Not really the case in the second game, right? Forte had one long run and aside from that, nothing. The DLine stopped the run game and got pressure on Cutler.

Yes, it's the Bears - but I have no idea how you can say they got "killed" in the second game.

The first game was rough, but Franklin looked like he was still coming back from injury.

But the second game? Killed?

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 05:53 PM
our secondary is the strength of our defense. Porter's injury hurts and though PRob has shown a lot of improvement and Patrick is a bit of a baller they are both young.

Jabari Greer has been terrific this year.

Now, if by coverage you mean the TE (which you might based on the second half of what I quoted), you're right. Covering the TE can be rough. Harper or Herring? Ouch...

But I'd put our CB and depth at CB up with most any other unit in the league.

And Malcom Jenkins at FS is arguably the best player on our defense.

Not really the case in the second game, right? Forte had one long run and aside from that, nothing. The DLine stopped the run game and got pressure on Cutler.

Yes, it's the Bears - but I have no idea how you can say they got "killed" in the second game.

The first game was rough, but Franklin looked like he was still coming back from injury.

But the second game? Killed?

Got to agree with all of that.

SheTexan
09-24-2011, 06:04 PM
James Casey!! You guys are smart, you know why!! Open a hole and Foster or Tate will get through it! Throw in a little confusion and play him at TE. Regardless, he's a key player in our O. I hope Dennison utilizes him well!!

jtexas
09-24-2011, 06:15 PM
Ryans and Cushing.

Both need to contain the running game and the dump passes to Sproles. Forcing Brees to throw the ball will slow down the clock and give us the chance to make a big turnover.

thunderkyss
09-24-2011, 07:22 PM

Good stuff. I bet most teams abandon the run long before they get to 132 just trying to keep up with the Saints.

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 07:31 PM
Good stuff. I bet most teams abandon the run long before they get to 132 just trying to keep up with the Saints.

Chicago's Forte and company only managed 60 yards rushing against the Saints last week. I would be very surprised if the Texans get the opportunity pound the ball much at all late. I can see 100 yards, but not much more.

fiasco west
09-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Chicago's Forte and company only managed 60 yards rushing against the Saints last week. I would be very surprised if the Texans get the opportunity pound the ball much at all late. I can see 100 yards, but not much more.

Houston is a much better run team (Than both the Packers and Bears if you ask me), It is very hard for me to imagine them getting only around 100 yards against the Saints LBs. You are talking about a team that averages 150 yards per game rushing.

I guess the important thing is who controls the game, if the Texans manage somehow to get a 10 point lead at any point in the game trust me Kubiak will go into extra conservative mode and pound the ball.

Don't think the Texans can win a aerial battle against the Saints, but if they can get a two score lead I really like their chances with Tate and really whoever else may handle the football at HB.

Giant Tiger
09-24-2011, 08:38 PM
I have to go with the OL. They can't possibly be any worse than last week, plus I want touchdowns in the red zone. If we get 3 field goals again, I want them to be from 35+ yards out. We've lost too many times against the Colts because we settled for field goals & they got touchdowns. We have to step up & punch it in.

thunderkyss
09-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Houston is a much better run team (Than both the Packers and Bears if you ask me), It is very hard for me to imagine them getting only around 100 yards against the Saints LBs. You are talking about a team that averages 150 yards per game rushing.

I guess the important thing is who controls the game, if the Texans manage somehow to get a 10 point lead at any point in the game trust me Kubiak will go into extra conservative mode and pound the ball.

Don't think the Texans can win a aerial battle against the Saints, but if they can get a two score lead I really like their chances with Tate and really whoever else may handle the football at HB.

I don't know that he'll wait for a 10 point lead. In this game, I'm thinking Payton will come out trying to establish his run game. Which is really what we want. Our run defense hasn't been stellar, so far we've given up 4.9 ypc, but not a single touchdown.... bend don't break.

The Saints, if they fall into that trap give up 4.2 ypc to mundane running games & they have given up 2 TDs already. If that holds true, we'll quitely win the game.

Regardless, I think we have a chance to win this game, whether we're slinging it out with the Saints, or controlling the game on the ground. But I like our chances better in the ground game.

DocBar
09-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Don't think the Texans can win a aerial battle against the Saints, but if they can get a two score lead I really like their chances with Tate and really whoever else may handle the football at HB.If we're around 100 yds rushing, I think Schaub will be well over 300 passing and we're in a shootout. I'm hoping for 150+ rushing and Brees shooting the breeze on the sidelines for 35+ minutes.

I have to go with the OL. They can't possibly be any worse than last week, plus I want touchdowns in the red zone. If we get 3 field goals again, I want them to be from 35+ yards out. We've lost too many times against the Colts because we settled for field goals & they got touchdowns. We have to step up & punch it in.I agree. Thos 20-30 yd FG's are better than nothing, but we'll need TD's in this game if we want a chance to win.

I don't know that he'll wait for a 10 point lead. In this game, I'm thinking Payton will come out trying to establish his run game. Which is really what we want. Our run defense hasn't been stellar, so far we've given up 4.9 ypc, but not a single touchdown.... bend don't break.
The Saints, if they fall into that trap give up 4.2 ypc to mundane running games & they have given up 2 TDs already. If that holds true, we'll quitely win the game.

Regardless, I think we have a chance to win this game, whether we're slinging it out with the Saints, or controlling the game on the ground. But I like our chances better in the ground game. I agree about the 10 point lead. If we get a 3 point lead, it's gonna be Martyball time.

I really hope Payton doesn't try to establish the run. That's an ideal way for Payton and Brees to catch us napping on the pass and hit some big plays.

badboy
09-24-2011, 09:43 PM

How about a key number? Try 132. In the past 18 games (the Rick Dennison era, if you will), the Texans are 7-1 when rushing for 132 yards, or more. A 1-10 mark when under the number. The Saints defense has allowed 132+ in only 4 of the past 18 games.If Foster plays, he is good for 32 even if does not finish the first quarter! Tate can get the other 100 so done deal. Click Click

badboy
09-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Don't be surprised if you see far less blitzing. Getting Will Smith back from suspension will open up more traditional rushing. That said, there will be the occasional corner or safety blitz and you'll see Casillas a couple of times from the outside.Everything I hear says the opposite that the DC will blitz relentlessly. Hope you are correct as I don't have a solid read on Tate picking up the blitz.

ObsiWan
09-24-2011, 10:02 PM

That's because the Bears got behind and had to pass. Forte averaged nearly 5 yds/carry on the Saints while the game was still close.

Plus Mike Martz called a stupid game. Over half the Bears 1st down plays were handoffs to Forte. Half the 1st down plays that were passes were dump offs or screens to Forte (speaking of which, Forte caught 10 balls for 117 yds). The Saints really only had to key on Forte because the Bears have no other true offensive weapons. (now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't be so hard on the game Martz called - he's only got one weapon)

Tate (or Foster) = Forte
A.J. + K.W. >>>> Johnny Knox or Devin Hester
Owen Daniel + Joel Dreessen >>> Bears TEs

Our offense is closer in potency and scoring potential to GB's than it is to Chicago's so pick your poison. Or better yet, let us serve you.

All that said, my key Texans are Rick Dennison and Gary Kubiak. They need to call a game that keeps the Saints defense on its heels and keeps Drew Brees a spectator. ...oh and that rings up TDs - not FGs - in the redzone.
Goooo :texans:!!!

TheMatrix31
09-24-2011, 10:04 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009121900/2009/REG15/cowboys@saints#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Phillips was HC and DC in this game....

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 10:11 PM

First, I can't see the Texans getting out to a two score lead at New Orleans. Second, a huge run stopping defensive middle makes LB much, much better. An average LB will make a tackle if not blocked and with 650-670 pounds of two defensive tackles it will take that pressure off the LB's allowing them to make the plays.

And, yes, Houston has averaged 150 per game over two games against teams with a combined record of 0-4 while the Saints have allowed have allowed an average of only 81.5 yards per games against teams with a combined record of 3-1. I feel fairly confident that the Saints will limit the Texans' running game to a reasonable figure. This defense is far better than that of either the Colts or Phins, while its offense is much better than both, as well.

hradhak
09-24-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't like our chances in a shootout. I think our key is keeping the running game going all game and not stalling. With one of the more balanced offenses in the league I think we mix it up enough we can neutralize the blitz. We get behind and have to throw and we're in danger.

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009121900/2009/REG15/cowboys@saints#menu=highlights&tab=recap

Phillips was HC and DC in this game....

As he was when the Saints went into Dallas on Thanksgiving day last year and beat the Cowgirls 30-27 on the day that they almost never lose.

Next.

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't like our chances in a shootout. I think our key is keeping the running game going all game and not stalling. With one of the more balanced offenses in the league I think we mix it up enough we can neutralize the blitz. We get behind and have to throw and we're in danger.

The Saints knew this was their weakness and this is why they signed two of the three top rated free agent defensive tackles (Rogers and Franklin) to help shut down the run.

badboy
09-24-2011, 10:22 PM
First, I can't see the Texans getting out to a two score lead at New Orleans. Second, a huge run stopping defensive middle makes LB much, much better. An average LB will make a tackle if not blocked and with 650-670 pounds of two defensive tackles it will take that pressure off the LB's allowing them to make the plays.

And, yes, Houston has averaged 150 per game over two games against teams with a combined record of 0-4 while the Saints have allowed have allowed an average of only 81.5 yards per games against teams with a combined record of 3-1. I feel fairly confident that the Saints will limit the Texans' running game to a reasonable figure. This defense is far better than that of either the Colts or Phins, while its offense is much better than both, as well.Really? Texans get ball first and drive for a TD or field goal or stop Saint's 1st drive nad then score. Saints then give up ball on next drive on a TO and Texans get field goal or TD and there is your two score lead. That is not impossible.

thunderkyss
09-24-2011, 10:22 PM

And, yes, Houston has averaged 150 per game over two games against teams with a combined record of 0-4 while the Saints have allowed have allowed an average of only 81.5 yards per games against teams with a combined record of 3-1. I feel fairly confident that the Saints will limit the Texans' running game to a reasonable figure. This defense is far better than that of either the Colts or Phins, while its offense is much better than both, as well.

That's a weird way to judge a running game, or run defense.

you're giving up 4.2 ypc no matter how you slice it or how much beef you got in the middle. 4.2 ypc... your best run defense is your passing offense.

thunderkyss
09-24-2011, 10:25 PM
The Saints knew this was their weakness and this is why they signed two of the three top rated free agent defensive tackles (Rogers and Franklin) to help shut down the run.

You do know that with Suan Rodgers & Aurbayu Franklin at the top of that class, it was a weak offseason for DTs.....

I would slow down with the number of times I mention that. especially in the same thread. We can read, we just don't think it means what you think it means.

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 10:32 PM
Really? Texans get ball first and drive for a TD or field goal or stop Saint's 1st drive nad then score. Saints then give up ball on next drive on a TO and Texans get field goal or TD and there is your two score lead. That is not impossible.

No, not impossible. Neither is Houston getting the ball first and going three and out and quickly giving up a TD.

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 10:35 PM
You do know that with Suan Rodgers & Aurbayu Franklin at the top of that class, it was a weak offseason for DTs.....

I would slow down with the number of times I mention that. especially in the same thread. We can read, we just don't think it means what you think it means.

Let's just wait to see how it plays out on the field. The Texans have a very good team and should feel good about a good showing at New Orleans, win or lose.

DocBar
09-24-2011, 10:40 PM

I have to go with the OL. They can't possibly be any worse than last week, plus I want touchdowns in the red zone. If we get 3 field goals again, I want them to be from 35+ yards out. We've lost too many times against the Colts because we settled for field goals & they got touchdowns. We have to step up & punch it in.

Regardless, I think we have a chance to win this game, whether we're slinging it out with the Saints, or controlling the game on the ground. But I like our chances better in the ground game.

Let's just wait to see how it plays out on the field. The Texans have a very good team and should feel good about a good showing at New Orleans, win or lose.Very true. The Saint's should feel good about the same, win or lose.
EDIT: I have no idea why half the message board was quoted on this.

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Very true. The Saint's should feel good about the same, win or lose.
EDIT: I have no idea why half the message board was quoted on this.

Not sure about that. The Saints are the winningest NFC franchise since 2006. I am sure they feel that they should win this game and they feel they should win all home games. I can assure you that I would be very disappointed with a loss, not because I feel that the Texans are not a quality team, but because the Saints have shown that they usually do win these games. I can honestly say that there is not a team in the NFL that I would feel okay losing to at home.

I am not being cocky or anything. It is just how I feel.

Rey
09-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Not sure about that. The Saints are the winningest NFC franchise since 2006. I am sure they feel that they should win this game and they feel they should win all home games. I can assure you that I would be very disappointed with a loss, not because I feel that the Texans are not a quality team, but because the Saints have shown that they usually do win these games. I can honestly say that there is not a team in the NFL that I would feel okay losing to at home.

I am not being cocky or anything. It is just how I feel.

I bet you were torn to pieces last year when the browns came to town and pulled one out.

Personally, I don't care where the loss occurs or who it comes against. No, I don't expect 16-0 but I do expect this team to be able to win tough games on the road.

Tomorrow is a tough game and the road. We'll see what happens.

DocBar
09-24-2011, 11:07 PM

I am not being cocky or anything. It is just how I feel.LOL. We're not talking about '06-'10. We're talking 2011. BTW, one of the losses during that time span was to us....just sayin....:D

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 11:12 PM
I bet you were torn to pieces last year when the browns came to town and pulled one out.

Personally, I don't care where the loss occurs or who it comes against. No, I don't expect 16-0 but I do expect this team to be able to win tough games on the road.

Tomorrow is a tough game and the road. We'll see what happens.

I sure was. The Browns only managed a total of 210 yards of offense and 68 of those came off a fake punt run by the Brown's kicker, Reggie Hodges. Their offense only had 57 yards rushing and 87 yards passing. They ran two picks back for TD's. It was Brees' worst performance on the torn knee for the season.

It was the strangest game I have ever seen.

DocBar
09-24-2011, 11:14 PM
I sure was. The Browns only managed a total of 210 yards of offense and 68 of those came off a fake punt run by the Brown's kicker, Reggie Hodges. Their offense only had 57 yards rushing and 87 yards passing. They ran two picks back for TD's. It was Brees' worst performance on the torn knee for the season.

It was the strangest game I have ever seen.Stranger than the Texans beating the Steelers in Pittsburgh with 48 yds of offense?

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 11:15 PM
LOL. We're not talking about '06-'10. We're talking 2011. BTW, one of the losses during that time span was to us....just sayin....:D

Yup. 2007. 23-10 at Houston. Our only losing season over that stretch. Just sayin' ... :D

DocBar
09-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Yup. 2007. 23-10 at Houston. Our only losing season over that stretch. Just sayin' ... :DGlad we could contribute to the cause!:texanbill:

AsylumGuido
09-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Stranger than the Texans beating the Steelers in Pittsburgh with 48 yds of offense?

Maybe not.

Allstar
09-24-2011, 11:36 PM
As he was when the Saints went into Dallas on Thanksgiving day last year and beat the Cowgirls 30-27 on the day that they almost never lose.

Next.

Wasn't Garret the HC by then? Not that the D was really and different...

fiasco west
09-24-2011, 11:45 PM

That's nice and all but Chicago's Run Blocking isn't even in the same league as the Texans their Oline is far from the best in the NFL, while the Packers are a great overall team and their run blocking is good the Texans have a much better RB corps if you ask me. Not saying the Texans are Better than the Pack, not close...but they are a better running team. As for the big DTs it's not a problem the Texans haven't seen before.

So yes while it is true that the Texans have not faced the best running defenses the Saints have yet to face imo a great running team. I think the Texans present much more threat on the ground than the Packers or Bears will this year especially if Foster is healthy.

TheMatrix31
09-25-2011, 04:26 AM

Next.

A) Phillips was gone by then.

B) My posting of that article was just for insight on how a Phillips-led defense performed against Brees.

Don't be insecure.

ole dirt mcgirt
09-25-2011, 04:31 AM

B) My posting of that article was just for insight on how a Phillips-led defense performed against Brees.

Don't be insecure.

To be fair I don't think they changed their entire defensive philosophy when he left. All this talk is moot though because I think the players make the D more than a scheme.

AsylumGuido
09-25-2011, 09:46 AM

Don't be insecure.

Not insecure at all. Just pointing out another side. It's cool.

Lucky
09-26-2011, 12:24 AM
How about a key number? Try 132. In the past 18 games (the Rick Dennison era, if you will), the Texans are 7-1 when rushing for 132 yards, or more. A 1-10 mark when under the number.
Make it 1-11 when under 132 yards, as the Texans finished today's game with 109 yards rushing.

DocBar
09-26-2011, 04:02 AM
Make it 1-11 when under 132 yards, as the Texans finished today's game with 109 yards rushing.I've been thinking about that key number and wondering why the hell we passed 39 times and rushed 25. Those numbers needed to be reversed. NOLA did play a lot better run D than I expected, though. Getting Foster and Ward healthy will help a ton in that are, too.

ObsiWan
09-29-2011, 01:18 AM
I've been thinking about that key number and wondering why the hell we passed 39 times and rushed 25. Those numbers needed to be reversed. NOLA did play a lot better run D than I expected, though. Getting Foster and Ward healthy will help a ton in that are, too.

I went back and looked at the play-by-play. We were fairly balanced up to the beginning of the 4th qtr. That also corresponds to about the same time as when Tate got gimpy or got gassed. Slaton was never very effective so we essentially didn't have a running threat in the 4th qtr.

With Tate hurt/gassed and Slaton ineffective all we had left in our bag of tricks was the passing game.