PDA

View Full Version : Dungy Accuses Texans Worst At Faking Injuries

TheMatrix31
09-22-2011, 01:57 PM
http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/tony-dungy-alleges-houston-texans-were-nfls-worst-injury-fakers/

What the hell? I can't remember one instance of this.

Dutchrudder
09-22-2011, 02:01 PM
No clue, but would love to see some video evidence of it.

Texan_Bill
09-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Dungy in my opinion has always been an ass! Remember Manning throwing deep late in a game where the Colts were clearly going to win, big?

Hardcore Texan
09-22-2011, 02:05 PM
That's a strong opinion for him to be floating it out there like it's fact.

I can't recall a single instance of this happening, and I usually watch every game twice.

TheMatrix31
09-22-2011, 02:08 PM
I like Dungy a lot. He's a classy dude off the field and all business on the field. But this pisses me off.

False Start
09-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Screw this dude, and his holier-than-thou attitude. As a few others have said, I don't recall the Texans ever pulling a stunt such as this, and I can remember a lot of what goes on during the Texans games.

Trap_Star
09-22-2011, 02:17 PM
lolwut?

silvrhand
09-22-2011, 02:21 PM
who cares :spin:

Thorn
09-22-2011, 02:28 PM
Hell, I'm sure the Texans have faked injuries in the past, just like all the rest of the teams in the NFL. BFD

Runner
09-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Seth Payne, Robaire Smith, and Gary Walker did this frequently. The Texans were thin up front then, and they'd come up limping when they needed a blow.

It's old data, but I'd have to say it's a true statement. They faked a lot of injuries to slow the game down.

TheCD
09-22-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm not saying he's lying, but usually when people are going to make such a damning statement about a team not even in the middle of a controversy, you'd think he'd give at least one example.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if we have/still do do this, I have a feeling it's part of defense 101.

On the other side of the coin, with how bad our players were, what's to say they weren't actually hurt?

TheMatrix31
09-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I'd like to have proof of the players flopping. As a person who makes a moneyless living going on a crusade against flopping and disingenous actions on the soccer field and basketball court, I don't take kindly to someone accusing players on my team of flopping and faking injuries, let alone saying they're "the worst" at it.

MEGA SWATT
09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
TD needs to stfu.

srrono
09-22-2011, 03:03 PM
Wow now I know why our defense was so bad last year, none of our players took drama class in high school. I propose all Texan players start a drama club and get together on day off and practice falling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI3BL7O9bto

euro-Texan
09-22-2011, 03:06 PM
If it was so bad that the Colts sent video to the league than I would have to give Dungy the benefit of the doubt. He was obviously referring to this during his days as coach.

BigBull17
09-22-2011, 03:07 PM
**** Dungy. He is the worst at winning home play off games when he has the best record in football. The MOST overrated coach of all time. I followed him with the Bucs, and saw plenty of him with the Colts. All those winning seasons, play-off appearences, and home games and one ring to show. Who knows if they win if they don't get the Sex Cannon and the overrated and poorly coached Bears. **** this asshole. Go blow Vick some more.

Texans34Life
09-22-2011, 03:14 PM
Who gives a shit what a retired NFL coach has to say about our Texans? He's just ****ing jealous that the Colts suck ass and we are finally going to pass them this season and go to the playoffs.

Allstar
09-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Meh. Gotta stop that damn no huddle somehow.

nero THE zero
09-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Seth Payne, Robaire Smith, and Gary Walker did this frequently. The Texans were thin up front then, and they'd come up limping when they needed a blow.

It's old data, but I'd have to say it's a true statement. They faked a lot of injuries to slow the game down.

Yep. This was a tactic of the Capers regime. I've heard players blatantly admit to it on the air (McKinney, Coleman, and/or others). That's not to say Kubiak does or doesn't do it, just that I know the Capers regime did it.

Why would Dungy lie about this? He's been extremely complimentary of this team. He has no axe to grind and no reason to pull this out of thin air. If he says it's true, that's good enough for me.

axman40
09-22-2011, 03:19 PM
Texans. No OSCAR for you!
Tony Dungy the new Soup Nazi?
:vincepalm:

m5kwatts
09-22-2011, 03:22 PM
-Who really cares? Its called strategy.

-If this was so rampant I'd think it'd be somewhat of a big deal, and certainly something that was talked about a lot on here before today?

Dutchrudder
09-22-2011, 03:33 PM
Looking for some video of this occurring, but couldn't find any with the Texans.

Browns doing it to Pat last year (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzjBC2arHUc)

SFA doing it against A&M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFojfG31enA)

Stanford doing it to Oregon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HeH-cNIcDs&feature=related)

m5kwatts
09-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Honestly, if things were the way Dungy says they were, don't you think all of us on here would be calling it the "Peyton Manning Defense"?

Furthermore, should we employ the "Peyton Manning Defense" this weekend vs. Brees when they're in hurry-up?

TexansFanatic
09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't have any doubt the Texans have faked injuries.

It's part of the game now.

Until the rules committee figures out a way to stop it, it's going to keep happening.

Jackie Chiles
09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
My first thought when I saw the Giants pull that was ''why didn't we do this against the Colts?'' No real rules against it (until now) unless it happens in the last two minutes so what is there to lose? Was actually kind of upset with our coaching for not doing a bit more of it because I honestly couldn't recall seeing it. Good for them.

michaelm
09-22-2011, 04:04 PM
I think Dungy has integrity, so I think he believes what he says.
OTOH, I don't recall any action being taken by the NFL as a result of the alleged video he says he sent to the league, so how blatant could it have been?
I'm guessing if it was a bad as he claims, we would have heard something as a result of the alleged videos.

El Tejano
09-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah? Well Manning used to Mayweather us and not let us get guys on and off the field.

Tony, don't get all mad because your team isn't playing good right now.

hobie
09-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Dungy in my opinion has always been an ass! Remember Manning throwing deep late in a game where the Colts were clearly going to win, big?

Well on the subject of throwing it deep when the game is clearly over... Yeah, I guess I can agree to a point, but I have always said, if there is time on the clock, it's your job to stop me, not mine... Balls out attitude is my thoughts when it comes to the game. I think as fans we get more bent over it than the players do..
Would I want Houston to let off the gas ever in games like that.. NO SIR ! Now I would rather see them run it, and if it happened to be someone broke off a 50 yd run for a TD, sure..

GP
09-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Well, the Colts have been faking that they're a t-e-a-m all these years with Peyton Manning as their QB. Now they're being exposed as the phonies they are.

So we're even, Tony Dungy. :)

gtexan02
09-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Maybe he meant Ahman Green style of faking injuries...

Yankee_In_TX
09-22-2011, 05:03 PM

Apparently everyone is ignoring you :)

fiasco west
09-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Meh. Gotta stop that damn no huddle somehow.

F the no huddle.

If there is anything that is over powered in the NFL it is the no huddle. It's like playing Chess but one person gets infinite time to make his move and the other gets 5 seconds, and if he doesn't make the move in 5 seconds the move is skipped.

It also seems the NFL doesn't enforce it's own rule that the offense needs to give defenses time to substitute. It just seems bit unfair any ways, it's no coincidence that teams that can do it score easily on the field.

ArlingtonTexan
09-22-2011, 05:17 PM

Reads like a lot of pent up anger at Dungy/Peyton/colts.

Double Barrel
09-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Why Dungy feels the need to dredge up old history is beyond me. It's kinda' sad, really though, because who really cares about what Tony Dungy thinks? I certainly don't.

I would be willing to bet that ALL teams have used faking injuries at strategy at some point, including the Colts.

gary
09-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Are we afraid that he might be right? It sure seems like it. I am a fan of this team but certainly not totally a homer.

Hervoyel
09-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Dungy has kind of turned into this guy I'm just always sort of disappointed in. I used to have him up on this pedestal but honestly, he brought nothing to Indy. Peyton was gonna be Peyton and win his Super Bowl with or without him. The Colts defense never did become anything special under him, the Bucs defense was all Kiffin's baby and when he was in Tampa he had no offense. Gruden doesn't bring that with him and the Bucs never do get a Lombardi.

In fact I think he's just been in two of the rightest places of all time at the rightest times of all time. I'm not going to say he isn't a good coach but it seems like his primary asset has been the ability to stay out of very talented peoples way. Being at all media-related is a bad idea for him. The more he speaks the less mystery surrounds him and the cheesier his coaching "Jedi Powers" appear.

steelbtexan
09-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I accuse Tony Dungy of being a fake family man/Do gooder.

I've got more evidence of this than he does of the Texans faking injuries.

See: James Dungy

DocBar
09-22-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't have a problem with this. I would like to see the video proof of it, though.
At least we aren't the most blatant and obvious at it, though. I can't even think about this subject without LOLing for real.

TimeKiller
09-22-2011, 06:30 PM
So.....the Colts are better at faking injury?

You know how you stop a no huddle? Get a sack. Then sack the QB...

Double Barrel
09-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Are we afraid that he might be right? It sure seems like it. I am a fan of this team but certainly not totally a homer.

I think "afraid" is the wrong word, simply because this would be old news and something I don't think most folks here would really care about other than proving it to be true.

It's more about Dungy saying that his team NEVER did it and they were "victimized" by the Texans. That just sounds like whining and not a good reflection of a former NFL coach.

TexanSam
09-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I'm sure if you went back at game tapes the last few years then you could probably find evidence of it. I just think it's something that we never really think about during a football game due to all the violent hits and physical nature of the sport. Injuries happen in football more often than other sports so when someone gets hurt we rarely think that player could be faking it.

RTP2110
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Seeing as how the NFL rule to combat faking injuries was written 1939, I'm going to guess that this is something that every team does, evidently for a very long time. Hell, I think I'd be more upset if I found out that the Texans weren't doing it.

GP
09-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Dungy has kind of turned into this guy I'm just always sort of disappointed in. I used to have him up on this pedestal but honestly, he brought nothing to Indy. Peyton was gonna be Peyton and win his Super Bowl with or without him. The Colts defense never did become anything special under him, the Bucs defense was all Kiffin's baby and when he was in Tampa he had no offense. Gruden doesn't bring that with him and the Bucs never do get a Lombardi.

In fact I think he's just been in two of the rightest places of all time at the rightest times of all time. I'm not going to say he isn't a good coach but it seems like his primary asset has been the ability to stay out of very talented peoples way. Being at all media-related is a bad idea for him. The more he speaks the less mystery surrounds him and the cheesier his coaching "Jedi Powers" appear.

He's basically...Obama (with OBL assassination being his "Super Bowl"). :(

GP
09-22-2011, 07:48 PM
I accuse Tony Dungy of being a fake family man/Do gooder.

I've got more evidence of this than he does of the Texans faking injuries.

See: James Dungy

Probably not a good idea to have hit the "submit" button on that one, SteelB.

Sometimes kids do things that are not connected to good/bad parenting.

ObsiWan
09-22-2011, 08:00 PM
Hell, I'm sure the Texans have faked injuries in the past, just like all the rest of the teams in the NFL. BFD

If it was so bad that the Colts sent video to the league than I would have to give Dungy the benefit of the doubt. He was obviously referring to this during his days as coach.

Yep. This was a tactic of the Capers regime. I've heard players blatantly admit to it on the air (McKinney, Coleman, and/or others). That's not to say Kubiak does or doesn't do it, just that I know the Capers regime did it.

Why would Dungy lie about this? He's been extremely complimentary of this team. He has no axe to grind and no reason to pull this out of thin air. If he says it's true, that's good enough for me.

-Who really cares? Its called strategy.

-If this was so rampant I'd think it'd be somewhat of a big deal, and certainly something that was talked about a lot on here before today?

I don't have any doubt the Texans have faked injuries.

It's part of the game now.

Until the rules committee figures out a way to stop it, it's going to keep happening.

Sounds to me like Capers' boys did it and were so good at it they never got penalized by the league.
Good for them.
I agree with TexansFanatic, it'll be part of the game until the league figures out how to detect it reliably.

Just because your arm or leg isn't snapped in two doesn't mean you don't need a trainer visit. If someone on the D gets a stinger and has to get treated, that has no long-lasting effect. And if someone gets dehydrated badly and gets serious muscle cramps that wouldn't necessarily be immediately preceeded by contact and is still temporarily incapacitating.

There's no way to tell by looking at film whether those things happened to a player or said player's faking.

And if it'll help us win, it ain't what I'd call dirty, and it's a known "part of the game", then I'm pissed if we ain't doing it.

hot pickle
09-22-2011, 08:37 PM
**** tony dungy lol its used by every sports team in every professional sport... "oh know the colts never did such a thing" is bull shit.

TheMatrix31
09-22-2011, 08:45 PM
I hate floppers. So I'd be pissed if we're doing this.

TheGoldenGreek
09-22-2011, 08:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/cam_a/Gifs%20IIIIII/WdB7r.gif

Texan_Bill
09-22-2011, 08:59 PM
who cares :spin:

Right???!?

I wonder if he thinks his son faked his own injury?? :thinking:

:hides:

I kid, I kid!!!!
DON'T THROW PUNCHES!! I have a morbid and awkwardly weird sense of humor!!!

Runner
09-22-2011, 09:21 PM

No, they're just waiting for specific examples.

GP
09-22-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm just glad to know we were THE BEST at something during the Capers era.

I'm kinda' proud, actually. :cry2:

BigBull17
09-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Well on the subject of throwing it deep when the game is clearly over... Yeah, I guess I can agree to a point, but I have always said, if there is time on the clock, it's your job to stop me, not mine... Balls out attitude is my thoughts when it comes to the game. I think as fans we get more bent over it than the players do..
Would I want Houston to let off the gas ever in games like that.. NO SIR ! Now I would rather see them run it, and if it happened to be someone broke off a 50 yd run for a TD, sure..

But the Colts didn't run it up On other teams as bad as on us. I remember they didn't sit players cause "You don't want division rivals to gain confidence" so he whooped our ass. Next week bs Titans? Sat Manning in 1st quarter so VY could go to the play offs. Hate Dungy. He looks like a worm with aids.

And having a son off himself shows he didn't pay all that much attention. Not blaming him, but it is worth saying

GP
09-23-2011, 12:20 AM
I feel like the references to his son's suicide, connecting it to his parenting skills, is a bit much.

Kids grow up, they become young people, and they make their own decisions that sometimes defy ALL logic or reasoning.

Let's maybe not try to connect dots that touch on a pretty serious note.

Texan_Bill
09-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I feel like the references to his son's suicide, connecting it to his parenting skills, is a bit much.

Kids grow up, they become young people, and they make their own decisions that sometimes defy ALL logic or reasoning.

Let's maybe not try to connect dots that touch on a pretty serious note.

Here's where you're wrong........ My brother committed suicide and yet I was brought up by a father that who was the natural father of my brother AND who adapted me and raised me as his own...

Unfortunately, I'm a son of the Irish with an adopted "Limey" last name! FML! :vincepalm:

kwayshauntay
09-23-2011, 12:57 AM
from @JeromeSolomon:
Tony, they fell down during plays, not before!

http://twitter.com/#!/JeromeSolomon/status/117000939352756224

lol:

Vinny
09-23-2011, 01:43 AM
by all accounts, Tony Dungy is a class act so I don't get all the ugly comments...wasn't gonna comment but leave it to GP to throw down the Obama = Dungy card. Good show...not real creative, but weirdly predictable. He was also accurate when he said we were notorious floppers. You guys have some short memories.

Allstar
09-23-2011, 02:14 AM
The suicide remarks are taking it WAY too far...

DX-TEX
09-23-2011, 02:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/R3DpM.gif

Maybe it was those damn snipers again!

SteveSlaton20
09-23-2011, 03:11 AM
first of all, screw TD. I've probably watched all of Texans games in Kubiak's era, and I don't remember one single fake injury. Now, I was kind of too young during Capers era, but didn't watch all the games but I can't say that he used to do fake injuries or not.

second of all, those you think faking an injury is a good idea, please leave and go watch soccer or basketball(I love basketball, but too many damn fake fouls and injuries). i ****ing hate floppers.

Runner
09-23-2011, 07:11 AM
I think I can sum up much of the "logic" of this thread.

Major Premise: Poster A doesn't like floppers.

Minor Premise: Poster A likes the Texans.

Conclusion: The Texans don't flop.

Thorn
09-23-2011, 07:17 AM
We got the Saints coming up in a few days. Do. Not. Care. about this crap.

TheMatrix31
09-23-2011, 08:31 AM
I think I can sum up much of the "logic" of this thread.

Major Premise: Poster A doesn't like floppers.

Minor Premise: Poster A likes the Texans.

Conclusion: The Texans don't flop.

That's not quite the point. The point is more, "I'd love to have it pointed out who these players were, so it could jog my memory a bit if any instances like this did happen."

If the guy sent tapes in, the obviously there were some guys. That's pathetic if there were, but I'd love to know who.

Double Barrel
09-23-2011, 11:47 AM
by all accounts, Tony Dungy is a class act so I don't get all the ugly comments...wasn't gonna comment but leave it to GP to throw down the Obama = Dungy card. Good show...not real creative, but weirdly predictable. He was also accurate when he said we were notorious floppers. You guys have some short memories.

I think most folks would just as soon forget the Capers years. That was not a period of Texans history worth remembering in any sense for any particular reason. :winky: It doesn't surprise me at all that they flopped. Bad teams take drastic measures sometimes.

As far as Dungy being a class act, I can't elevate him to that level after his public displays of homophobia (http://www.outsports.com/os/index.php/component/content/article/42-2009/160-dungy-does-not-deserve-a-pass-for-his-anti-gay-actions). I'm sure some folks will see that as a redeeming quality, but bigotry is bigotry to me.

Lots of butthurt in this thread, though, about a really irrelevant subject, IMO. We should just be laughing and shrugging it off. It's not like his own team was above the fray *cough*pipedincrowdnoise*cough*, as well as his tendency to run up the score to pad stats. His perceived moral superiority is undermined.

BigBull17
09-23-2011, 12:00 PM
I think most folks would just as soon forget the Capers years. That was not a period of Texans history worth remembering in any sense for any particular reason. :winky: It doesn't surprise me at all that they flopped. Bad teams take drastic measures sometimes.

As far as Dungy being a class act, I can't elevate him to that level after his public displays of homophobia (http://www.outsports.com/os/index.php/component/content/article/42-2009/160-dungy-does-not-deserve-a-pass-for-his-anti-gay-actions). I'm sure some folks will see that as a redeeming quality, but bigotry is bigotry to me.

Lots of butthurt in this thread, though, about a really irrelevant subject, IMO. We should just be laughing and shrugging it off. It's not like his own team was above the fray *cough*pipedincrowdnoise*cough*, as well as his tendency to run up the score to pad stats. His perceived moral superiority is undermined.

Anti-gay and butthurt in the same sentence...:vincepalm:

I just have never been able to stand Dungy. He just seems so fake. Any help he does is in the black community. I just think everybody needs some help.

Vinny
09-23-2011, 01:01 PM

Lots of butthurt in this thread, though, about a really irrelevant subject, IMO. We should just be laughing and shrugging it off. It's not like his own team was above the fray *cough*pipedincrowdnoise*cough*, as well as his tendency to run up the score to pad stats. His perceived moral superiority is undermined.That's not quite the point. The point is more, "I'd love to have it pointed out who these players were, so it could jog my memory a bit if any instances like this did happen."

If the guy sent tapes in, the obviously there were some guys. That's pathetic if there were, but I'd love to know who.If they flopped? You guys are hard core long time fans and can only remember the good times huh? All one of them?

classic dom capers fake injury time out

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=457811&postcount=681
When you see a defensive lineman go down in a game, only to return later, you are seeing a soccer injury. It just gives the defense a chance to rest. He's not injured. It's a very common practice in the NFL and was used extensively by the Texans the last few years since the defense was always on the field.
http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=427510&postcount=136

Double Barrel
09-23-2011, 01:58 PM
If they flopped? You guys are hard core long time fans and can only remember the good times huh? All one of them?

Like I said, it doesn't surprise me. Bad teams often implement bad strategy. They sort of go hand-in-glove.

And while I certainly remember the past decade (probably too much so as it's hard to get out of my head), I was just commenting that many fans might not have as long of memories.

My 'problem' is that I have a hard time with so-called blind faith and this franchise because I so vividly remember the past 9 seasons. *sigh*

My son's team was caught flopping at the A&M game last year (almost identical to the Giants game this week). They took a lot of flak from Aggies, so I asked about it. I was told that it's a specific call from the DC, two players saw it and acted. But with their lack of depth and A&M demolishing them at that point in the game (4th qtr), the team didn't see why it was such a big deal. The schools were simply mismatched.

GP
09-23-2011, 11:10 PM

Ah, Vinny...it's just for fun. Herv said it, I just went ahead and named the guy he was comparing Dungy to.

I didn't score the points on that one, I just put it on the score board for him.

TheMatrix31
09-23-2011, 11:41 PM
Thanks for those old thread links, Vinny. Glad to see someone actually noticed something like that happening.