PDA

View Full Version : Demeco Looks Very Unhealthy

dalemurphy
09-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Have you guys been watching him? I can't believe how ineffective he is right now. I would be concerned about his lack of quickness and lateral pursuit to the ball if I wasn't so focused on his inability to use his arm and make a tackle. Do you guys have any info on what his elbow injury was, exactly? And, what are your thought about his performance so far?

CND: What kind of elbow injury could have occurred over a month ago and still be braced up and as limited as it is? I'm thinking it must be something requiring surgery...

Here's video lowlights of Demeco's play vs. Miami (http://www.texansbullblog.com/demeco-ryans-awful-concerned/news/) that has me concerned.

michaelm
09-22-2011, 12:32 AM
IIRC, he has bursitis in his elbow. It was discussed in another thread.

Bursitis

Last reviewed: August 3, 2010.

Bursitis is inflammation of the fluid-filled sac (bursa) that lies between a tendon and skin, or between a tendon and bone. The condition may be acute or chronic.

Causes, incidence, and risk factors

Bursae are fluid-filled cavities near joints where tendons or muscles pass over bony projections. They assist movement and reduce friction between moving parts.

Bursitis can be caused by chronic overuse, trauma, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or infection. Sometimes the cause cannot be determined. Bursitis commonly occurs in the shoulder, knee, elbow, and hip. Other areas that may be affected include the Achilles tendon and the foot.

Chronic inflammation can occur with repeated injuries or attacks of bursitis.

Symptoms

You may notice:

Joint pain and tenderness when you press around the joint

Stiffness and achiness when you move the affected joint

Swelling, warmth or redness over the joint

Treatment

Your health care provider may recommend temporary rest or immobilization of the affected joint.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen may relieve pain and inflammation. Formal physical therapy may be helpful as well.

If the inflammation does not respond to the initial treatment, it may be necessary to draw out fluid from the bursa and inject corticosteroids. Surgery is rarely required.

Exercises for the affected area should be started as the pain goes away. If muscle atrophy (weakness or decrease in size) has occurred, your health care provider may suggest exercises to build strength and increase mobility.

Bursitis caused by infection is treated with antibiotics. Sometimes the infected bursa must be drained surgically.

Expectations (prognosis)

The condition may respond well to treatment, or it may develop into a chronic condition if the underlying cause cannot be corrected.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001456/

The Cush
09-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Anyone else notice that Cushing wears the helmet that receives the calls from the sidelines?

DocBar
09-22-2011, 12:52 AM
Anyone else notice that Cushing wears the helmet that receives the calls from the sidelines?Yes. Ryans is going off the field on 3rd downs so Cush is calling the defensive plays.
It's starting to look like CnD is right again about an injury.

srrono
09-22-2011, 01:20 AM
Sharpton should be starting instead of Ryans untill Ryans looks like Ryans its kinda sad seeing him out there like this.

House of Pain
09-22-2011, 01:26 AM
Yes. Ryans is going off the field on 3rd downs so Cush is calling the defensive plays.
It's starting to look like CnD is right again about an injury.

Is it too soon or way overdue that Texans fans start a campaign to join the Texans medical staff? I've only been on TT for a few years, and Cloak has been spot on with all 'guesses' about the medical conditions of our players.

DocBar
09-22-2011, 01:29 AM
Sharpton should be starting instead of Ryans untill Ryans looks like Ryans its kinda sad seeing him out there like this.
Punctuation is a good thing. It makes posts easier to read and comprehend. :D

Is it too soon or way overdue that Texans fans start a campaign to join the Texans medical staff? I've only been on TT for a few years, and Cloak has been spot on with all 'guesses' about the medical conditions of our players. Better late than never. It's got my vote.

kiwitexansfan
09-22-2011, 02:46 AM
I'm sure the people that the Texans have diagnose just fine, they just don't enforce what they see. Have you not seen Any Given Sunday.

DocBar
09-22-2011, 03:01 AM
I'm sure the people that the Texans have diagnose just fine, they just don't enforce what they see. Have you not seen Any Given Sunday.There really isn't much incentive to look after a player's long-term health and well being. The player is a commodity and it's either producing or costing. The biggest concern they have is can he play, and if not, for how long.

Texn4life
09-22-2011, 03:12 AM
I hate to say it, but I'm a bit concerned about the Texans evaluation of injuries as well. Demeco wants to be out there, but at what point does he become a liability instead of an asset? Sharpton looked pretty good in the pre-season, and I have no doubt he could probably do a better job right now considering that massive thing Demeco is wearing. Its making me uncomfortable just watching him trying to tackle out there. Imagine how he feels trying to take on blocks and then make tackles. In a 3-4 the MLBs have to fight through more OL to get to the ball as well especially with no one in the middle able to take on a double team.

Wolf6151
09-22-2011, 03:36 AM
CND warned us months ago that Ryans achilles injury was more serious than fans wanted to believe and advised that something like 80% of all players with this type of achilles injury come back considerably slower than preinjury. Everyone wants to believe that Ryans will come back 100% but it just doesn't look like it. DocBar is right players are commodities and teams want to know when they're injured, how long they'll be out, and when and if they'll be back and at what level. As much as we all love Ryans it may be time to look for a replacement, and JMO but Sharpton ain't it. Sharpton is to small to play ILB in a 3-4 system. Dobbins would be a much better temp. replacement. I guarantee the Texans are also thinking about the guaranteed money left in Ryans contract. Anyone know how much money was guaranteed in his last contract and how much is left to be paid?

welsh texan
09-22-2011, 04:45 AM
I think it will be a year before we know how good Ryans is going to be again.

I think back to all the serious injuries I've seen happen to players over the last few years and they never seem to play very well first season back.

Think of OD last year, probably not a guy you'd keep around if you didn't know what he was capable of once 100%.

Kevin Walter had a season ender and wasn't very good the following year.

Dunta Robinson, however we feel about that guy, whether it was to force a move or what, didn't perform the year after his injury.

I'm sure its going to hurt in the short term but we need to give DeMeco that space and time to get better, because we all know how good he can be when he comes back.

There is a saying in football (soccer) about how players who never had much pace in the first place come back after a leg break better than those who had pace to begin with. Well from what I know of Meco he was never all that physically gifted but he used what he had to the best of his ability. I hope that holds true here.

DocBar
09-22-2011, 05:51 AM
CND warned us months ago that Ryans achilles injury was more serious than fans wanted to believe and advised that something like 80% of all players with this type of achilles injury come back considerably slower than preinjury. Everyone wants to believe that Ryans will come back 100% but it just doesn't look like it. DocBar is right players are commodities and teams want to know when they're injured, how long they'll be out, and when and if they'll be back and at what level. As much as we all love Ryans it may be time to look for a replacement, and JMO but Sharpton ain't it. Sharpton is to small to play ILB in a 3-4 system. Dobbins would be a much better temp. replacement. I guarantee the Texans are also thinking about the guaranteed money left in Ryans contract. Anyone know how much money was guaranteed in his last contract and how much is left to be paid?That's what I was alluding to in post #9. I hope Sharpton can at least hold his own this season. I went into the season not counting on much from Demeco.

I think back to all the serious injuries I've seen happen to players over the last few years and they never seem to play very well first season back.

Think of OD last year, probably not a guy you'd keep around if you didn't know what he was capable of once 100%.

Dunta Robinson, however we feel about that guy, whether it was to force a move or what, didn't perform the year after his injury.

I'm sure its going to hurt in the short term but we need to give DeMeco that space and time to get better, because we all know how good he can be when he comes back.

There is a saying in football (soccer) about how players who never had much pace in the first place come back after a leg break better than those who had pace to begin with. Well from what I know of Meco he was never all that physically gifted but he used what he had to the best of his ability. I hope that holds true here. REAL football fans call that girly sport kickball.:kitten:

As far as Demeco's injury, reading what CnD has posted, it doesn't appear that achille's injuries follow the same timelines as other injuries.

Wolf6151
09-22-2011, 06:31 AM

There is a saying in football (soccer) about how players who never had much pace in the first place come back after a leg break better than those who had pace to begin with. Well from what I know of Meco he was never all that physically gifted but he used what he had to the best of his ability. I hope that holds true here.

From what I remember of CND's post on achilles injuries, this isn't the type of injury that you come back from at 100% ever. It's not a matter of taking a long time to heal and being patient. From what I remember it's a matter of being permanently slowed by the injury.

TheMatrix31
09-22-2011, 07:06 AM
I thought he looked good in Week 1. Was active, in on a bunch of tackles, etc. Week 2 he was a freakin' ghost.

gtexan02
09-22-2011, 07:47 AM
I don't understand what you're trying to show in your video. In pretty much all of your clips Demeco gets taken out by a blocker.

1. In play 1 he looks to hit a hole that is quickly filled by a blocker and he is redirected. He gets to the ballcarrier too late. Not related to elbow as far as I can tell

2. In play 2, its a screen. RB plus two blockers vs one tackler (Ryans). He gets taken out by a blocker, no chance at the RB. Not related to elbow as far as I can tell

3. In play 3 he busts through the line with no trouble and forces Henne into a throw while going backwards and it winds up a pass about 10 yards short. Great play by Ryans

4. Play 4 he breaks through the line with no trouble, but the RB takes a sidestep to avoid his tackle and Ryans is left with a hand hold on him and its not enough to bring him down. Missed tackle, maybe related to elbow

5. I'm not sure what we're supposed to see in this one. He's picked up by a blocker and a hole is created next to him. With only 3 lineman and both our OLBs on the outside, we're not going to need ILBs to occupy blockers on their way to the RB as well. I don't see how this is related to the elbow either

6. Same thing as number 5

In 5/6 examples I don't see the injury having anything to do with his lack of tackles. What I saw was an ILB who isn't familiar with the 3-4 and who is making great reads but getting stopped by blockers. When your 3-4 lineman are rushing the passer and your OLBs are rushing the passer and the opposition runs up the middle, its going to be difficult for a guy like Ryans to get a tackle if he attacks the line like that. He's going to run in to blockers and let guys like Cushing clean up the rest. Ryans looks like himself from the 4-3 days when he had the ability to get to the ball carrier without going through 1-2 lineman every time. I don't see any hindrance of the elbow from these clips except MAYBE in clip 4. But even that is something of a reach because the RB put a good move on him and he was left to tackle with his arms. How many times has Arian done that to excellent tacklers with no injuries at all

drunkcookie
09-22-2011, 07:57 AM
Honestly it looks like his elbow is bothering him more than anything... I really don't see him being that much slower... maybe I need to have a look at the games again, but his speed, quickness and change of direction don't look too terrible for a guy coming off of that injury... 100%? No, but I wasn't expecting that...

I believe CND's post everyone's referencing had the number of "58%" or so in it... I believe it was the average level of production that players with this injury end up reaching after coming off the injury? Compared to their previous production, of course... Very interesting and depressing number, but I forget how that number was reached... Obvioiusly, to be at 58%, there had to have been some higher levels achieved... also, how many were career ending (obviously those would be 0%ers, dragging the average down quite a bit)? But still, a sad number...

But like I said, 'Meco doesn't look "too" horrible right now for a guy coming off of an injury like this, but he has for sure lost something...

As for CND being the new team doctor for the Texans, that would be awesome to have one of our own there to come here and post MRIs etc..., but would he really make that big of a difference? You don't think the current team doctors say "This is what's wrong, I'm thinking he needs to sit out 3-4 weeks" though the player ends up playing that week anyway? The coaches just come back with "But physically, can he play?".. Doctor: "Sure but I..." Coaches: "Thanks...."

That's all over the league, btw, not just here in Houston...

DocBar
09-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Honestly it looks like his elbow is bothering him more than anything... I really don't see him being that much slower... maybe I need to have a look at the games again, but his speed, quickness and change of direction don't look too terrible for a guy coming off of that injury... 100%? No, but I wasn't expecting that...

I believe CND's post everyone's referencing had the number of "58%" or so in it... I believe it was the average level of production that players with this injury end up reaching after coming off the injury? Compared to their previous production, of course... Very interesting and depressing number, but I forget how that number was reached... Obvioiusly, to be at 58%, there had to have been some higher levels achieved... also, how many were career ending (obviously those would be 0%ers, dragging the average down quite a bit)? But still, a sad number...

But like I said, 'Meco doesn't look "too" horrible right now for a guy coming off of an injury like this, but he has for sure lost something...

As for CND being the new team doctor for the Texans, that would be awesome to have one of our own there to come here and post MRIs etc..., but would he really make that big of a difference? You don't think the current team doctors say "This is what's wrong, I'm thinking he needs to sit out 3-4 weeks" though the player ends up playing that week anyway? The coaches just come back with "But physically, can he play?".. Doctor: "Sure but I..." Coaches: "Thanks...."

That's all over the league, btw, not just here in Houston...

Put down the :koolaid: and step away from the keyboard. Demeco looks nothing like the Demeco of old. Saying he looks slower is being kind. He looks slower, weaker and more tentative. I'm sure slower and more tentative explains the weaker impression, but nevertheless, it's not good.

El Tejano
09-22-2011, 09:34 AM
I thought he looked good in Week 1. Was active, in on a bunch of tackles, etc. Week 2 he was a freakin' ghost.

I agree with that. He was making hits with a grudge. I agree with Vinny that he's underutilized as a pass rushing MLB.

fiasco west
09-22-2011, 09:52 AM
He's obviously not what he used to be. That's a beast.

I remember when this guy was right there with Willis as top young ILBs and the injury no doubt has slowed him down as well as switching to a new defense.

BUT he has not looked bad or horrible. He's just not what we expect out of him but the thing about Meco is he's a much more mental player and technical player I think once the elbow heals up and that brace comes off we'll see something a bit more familiar.

CloakNNNdagger
09-22-2011, 09:55 AM
I was graciously asked by TC to put together an analysis of Demeco's injury for one of her blogs. Some of you may have already read it. Reading it in retrospect may answer at least some questions you may still have in forming your individual opinions. A medical view of DeMeco Ryans’ recovery from injury (http://blog.chron.com/texanschick/2011/08/a-medical-view-of-demeco-ryans-recovery-from-injury/)

Mr teX
09-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Yeah, he looks bad out there but truthfully, This has next to nothing to do with the texans physicians, training staff & coaches & everything to do with the player & how he heals.

Bottom line is most coaches are former players & they don't really want to hold a guy out from playing if he says he's ok & or can fight through it. Furthermore coaches rely on the training staff (who in turn rely on the player)to make their decisions about whether a guy can play or if he should sit. If he says he's ok & practices good enough, more than likely he'll go.

Part of the other issue is you can't simulate game speed in practice no matter how hard the practice is. Sure, there's a timetable for all these injuries but those usually change depending on the player; look at Peyton Manning's situation right now, vs. TO's situation in Philly a few years back when he broke his leg but got back in time for the SB & was extremely effective when people thought he wouldn't be.

Texan_Bill
09-22-2011, 10:01 AM
Meh.... 'Meco, rub some dirt and spit on it and you'll be fine! Don't be a Puh Ce!!!

BTW, Thanks Doc Sean!! Your insight is always appreciated!!!

Blake
09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
DeMeco is a leader out there. And as long as he can hold up he should be out there this year. I am not ready to pull DeMeco out of his role so he can sit on the bench and give pep talks.

Texan_Bill
09-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Meh.... 'Meco, rub some dirt and spit on it and you'll be fine! Don't be a Puh Ce!!!

BTW, Thanks Doc Sean!! Your insight is always appreciated!!!

Dan smacked my wrist for saying Doc Sean instead of Doc Jean! :kitten:

gary
09-22-2011, 12:00 PM
What is really bothering him more right now the elbow or the achilles?

GP
09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
What is really bothering him more right now the elbow or the achilles?

Don't forget his bum shoulder, too. Has to wear the device that keeps it from dislocating out of the shoulder socket.

And now a more general note, not directed to anybody in particular (just my thoughts on this matter):

This is why GMs want guys to play out their contracts. Anybody who is a fan of having extra cap space for signing guys like Joseph, Manning, and Vickers (and some of your current players, too) should want every player to play out his contract.

Getting hurt is nobody's fault, it just happens. But the NFL is an entertainment business, and your team's future is directly tied to what you can spend on future players.

I remember OD looked very slow, and he was not his same self the first year back on the field.

I don't know that the same one-year "delay" fits with DeMeco, though. Achilles injuries, from what I gather, permanently affect you. For me, he's not looked as dominant as he did in his rookie season. There's just a sense of compounding "issues" as we go along here.

gary
09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I just have to think right now it is health and not scheme that is holding Ryans back.

gtexan02
09-22-2011, 01:13 PM
I just have to think right now it is health and not scheme that is holding Ryans back.

Based on what? The video clips don't seem to show an injured Demeco to me

gary
09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
Based on what? The video clips don't seem to show an injured Demeco to meHe does not look like himself to me.

gtexan02
09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
He does not look like himself to me.

What I mean is, I've heard a lot of differing reasons for the same opinion. Which is it for you?

Does he look slower to you?
Does he look more tentative?
Does he look like his elbow limits his mobility?
Does his tackling form look off?
Is he taking bad reads/lines?

Are you basing it off seeing him live? Seeing him on tv? Replays? Stats?

From what I've read on here, people seem to say all of the above, which would be odd because it would imply that his elbow, his achliles, his shoulder, and his football instincts had all taken a step back.
\Thats why I thought scheme more than health

gary
09-22-2011, 02:32 PM
What I mean is, I've heard a lot of differing reasons for the same opinion. Which is it for you?

Does he look slower to you?
Does he look more tentative?
Does he look like his elbow limits his mobility?
Does his tackling form look off?
Is he taking bad reads/lines?

Are you basing it off seeing him live? Seeing him on tv? Replays? Stats?

From what I've read on here, people seem to say all of the above, which would be odd because it would imply that his elbow, his achliles, his shoulder, and his football instincts had all taken a step back.
\Thats why I thought scheme more than healthHis tackling form looks somewhat off base to me. I don't remember him having quite as poor tacking performance as he had in Miami. That huge bulky arm brace for his elbow might be hindering his mobility some. He has only played in two meaningful games since last October and his overall game seems to spell that out right now. So basically I would say everything you mentioned needs some work to improve his sharpness just a little bit at a time but I have been reading that it is highly likely that might not ever be the same player again but I hope that is not true. We shall see how things go.

Norg
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
so what should we do Cut him ..... : P

the one thing i agree with tho Kubes holds on 2 his "name" players 4 far to long

ehhh tho Democ hasent costed him yet so we will see Demco thos has been wearing that bionic arm brace for a while tho IMO he will have that on for a long time

ChampionTexan
09-22-2011, 02:54 PM
so what should we do Cut him ..... : P

the one thing i agree with tho Kubes holds on 2 his "name" players 4 far to long

Not sure who said it for you to agree with, but since you mentioned it, give us some examples.

Texans_Chick
09-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Who said bursitis? Missed that.

To my knowledge, Kubiak and DeMeco haven't said anything other than bruised elbow. And DeMeco has a history of playing while hurt without talking about his injuries--so I am always skeptical when talking his injuries. That is a big honking pad.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/DeMeco-Ryans.jpg

Hervoyel
09-22-2011, 05:54 PM
It's two games. Let him get his legs back under him and knock the rust off. He'll be fine by mid-season.

TexansFanatic
09-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm going to go ahead and say it:

Demeco will never be the same player he was before his achilles tendon was ruptured.

Doesn't mean he won't be a good player. He'll just never be the great Demeco again.

welsh texan
09-22-2011, 06:36 PM
When I made the point about it taking a year on the field before these guys reach their post-injury potential I didn't mean he'd come back to 100% of the old DeMeco.

I was trying to point out that we won't be in a position to judge what 100% of the post injury DeMeco is until he's got through another pre-season.

We've seen it over and over again, a player improving throughout their first season back. He may never be the same again but that doesn't mean he's as good as recovered as he can be so far.

The point about the scheme probably has something to do with it as well. From what I can gather there are some interesting differences in the way a 3-4 ILB plays to how a 4-3 ILB plays, its a different position in many ways, and that will also take some time for him.

I doubt its as simply as being purely one thing or the other. Here's hoping that he can come back to being a good contributer to the D because with the talent he has around him it may well be that his brains more than brawn style can help him become an asset again if a less physical one than before.

drunkcookie
09-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Maybe with all of the injuries he's growing a tad timid... maybe he needs a slim-jim, brute-slap or a five hour energy or something...

houstonspartan
09-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Is it too soon or way overdue that Texans fans start a campaign to join the Texans medical staff? I've only been on TT for a few years, and Cloak has been spot on with all 'guesses' about the medical conditions of our players.

I believe Cloak is a physician, which would explain the accuracy of his predictions.

chicagotexan2
09-22-2011, 11:24 PM

I concur. I thought the team eas high on sharpton. If ryans is hurt and keeps playing poorly it hurts the team and he may hurt himself. Let's see what sharpton can do.

gary
09-22-2011, 11:30 PM
I think/hope Demeco will be O.K. in the long run.

Vinny
09-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Have you guys been watching him? I can't believe how ineffective he is right now. I would be concerned about his lack of quickness and lateral pursuit to the ball if I wasn't so focused on his inability to use his arm and make a tackle. Do you guys have any info on what his elbow injury was, exactly? And, what are your thought about his performance so far?

CND: What kind of elbow injury could have occurred over a month ago and still be braced up and as limited as it is? I'm thinking it must be something requiring surgery...

Here's video lowlights of Demeco's play vs. Miami (http://www.texansbullblog.com/demeco-ryans-awful-concerned/news/) that has me concerned.While I'm pretty sure he is not 100% if this video is an example of how Ryans can't play...you have no clue what you are looking at imo. If you are just trying to get page views to pump up your blog, selling your soul ain't worth it (if you axe me). He was around the ball, penetrating into the backfield, forcing the issue in these clips. He's been in a good bit of coverage in other situations so his role isn't the same as it was before. In the past he just had to attack the ball. He is doing a lot more reading and reacting and gap control than just flying to the ball as in our last undisciplined defense. On another note, Sharpton is a shell of a player compared to Ryans fwiw.

dalemurphy
09-22-2011, 11:59 PM
While I'm pretty sure he is not 100% if this video is an example of how Ryans can't play...you have no clue what you are looking at imo. If you are just trying to get page views to pump up your blog, selling your soul ain't worth it (if you axe me). He was around the ball, penetrating into the backfield, forcing the issue in these clips. He's been in a good bit of coverage in other situations so his role isn't the same as it was before. In the past he just had to attack the ball. He is doing a lot more reading and reacting and gap control than just flying to the ball as in our last undisciplined defense. On another note, Sharpton is a shell of a player compared to Ryans fwiw.

My concern is the fact that Demeco is in position to make a play over and over but seems unable to use his arm. That's the issue. You are right. He was in the backfield a number of times only he can't use his arm. Considering the injury was over a month ago, I'm quite concerned that our ILB is running around with his knuckles dragging on the ground, unable to make a tackle.

Vinny
09-23-2011, 12:04 AM
My concern is the fact that Demeco is in position to make a play over and over but seems unable to use his arm. That's the issue. You are right. He was in the backfield a number of times only he can't use his arm. Considering the injury was over a month ago, I'm quite concerned that our ILB is running around with his knuckles dragging on the ground, unable to make a tackle.I donno, you seem very over the top with your description and your "video evidence" not being very compelling imo-of course. I'll watch DeMeco closer this week and if I think you have a case I'll eat my words. I'd like a good habanero sauce to satisfy the palate if it comes to that though. :runaway:

HOU-TEX
09-23-2011, 10:15 AM
While I'm pretty sure he is not 100% if this video is an example of how Ryans can't play...you have no clue what you are looking at imo. If you are just trying to get page views to pump up your blog, selling your soul ain't worth it (if you axe me). He was around the ball, penetrating into the backfield, forcing the issue in these clips. He's been in a good bit of coverage in other situations so his role isn't the same as it was before. In the past he just had to attack the ball. He is doing a lot more reading and reacting and gap control than just flying to the ball as in our last undisciplined defense. On another note, Sharpton is a shell of a player compared to Ryans fwiw.

Thank you, Sir Vinny! Been saying it over a year now.

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Who said bursitis? Missed that.

To my knowledge, Kubiak and DeMeco haven't said anything other than bruised elbow. And DeMeco has a history of playing while hurt without talking about his injuries--so I am always skeptical when talking his injuries. That is a big honking pad.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/DeMeco-Ryans.jpg

The information that Kubiak released described that he had a swollen and bruised elbow.

When asked what this might be, keeping in mind the length of time he was dealing this problem, this was my response at the time (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1763493&postcount=3).

The picture that you posted looks like a variant of something that is called a DonJoy brace/elbow guard. It is typically ultrapadded to be protective in the elbow region and can be used in injuries such as olecranon (elbow) bursitis. It can also be utilized in cases of tendinitis (like tennis elbow), and to stabilize medial and lateral elbow ligament sprains/tears as well as cases of elbow hyperextension.

welsh texan
09-23-2011, 11:08 AM
The information that Kubiak released described that he had a swollen and bruised elbow.

When asked what this might be, keeping in mind the length of time he was dealing this problem, this was my response at the time (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1763493&postcount=3).

The picture that you posted looks like a variant of something that is called a DonJoy brace/elbow guard. It is typically ultrapadded to be protective in the elbow region and can be used in injuries such as olecranon (elbow) bursitis. It can also be utilized in cases of tendinitis (like tennis elbow), and to stabilize medial and lateral elbow ligament sprains/tears as well as cases of elbow hyperextension.

Screw the NHS, next time I get sick i'm PM'ing you Cloak :spit:

gary
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
I think that Demeco should be given at least until game number eight or nine to get back up to full speed.

Texas T
09-23-2011, 01:22 PM
My concern is the fact that Demeco is in position to make a play over and over but seems unable to use his arm. That's the issue. You are right. He was in the backfield a number of times only he can't use his arm. Considering the injury was over a month ago, I'm quite concerned that our ILB is running around with his knuckles dragging on the ground, unable to make a tackle.

This is what I thought (I think I even said it out loud) during last weeks game. Now I won't say that I saw every play he was in on so it could have only been the plays I noticed him on but it looked like he was trying to one-arm tackle guys and keep his wrapped arm away from them. In the couple of plays I remember seeing him do this he was very ineffective. I was concerned that he was hurting.

Again, I didn't see every play, can't DiVO (because the game is not played on t.v. here in NJ), just my impressions from the game.

On the other hand, the plays that I did see him in on were all in the back field so he was being disruptive.

DX-TEX
09-23-2011, 01:23 PM
I think that Demeco should be given at least until game number eight or nine to get back up to full speed.

Thats what ND Kalu said on 610. Said it would take a year to come back from but at leat 6-8 games the next season to get up to full speed and stop depending on his other attritubes to compensate for the injury.

gary
09-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Thats what ND Kalu said on 610. Said it would take a year to come back from but at leat 6-8 games the next season to get up to full speed and stop depending on his other attritubes to compensate for the injury.We will see he is a real leader just by being out there and playing IMHO.

Dutchrudder
09-23-2011, 07:00 PM
Funny that video didn't even show what I thought was the worst missed tackle of the day, when Ryans one-armed Daniel Thomas in the backfield (3rd quarter I think), and let him go for a ~7 yard gain. And iirc it was his right arm that had a grip on Thomas. Didn't go back and re-watch it, so it may have been more about leverage than lack of strength, but that was the moment when my expectation of Demeco dropped.

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Thats what ND Kalu said on 610. Said it would take a year to come back from but at leat 6-8 games the next season to get up to full speed and stop depending on his other attritubes to compensate for the injury.

The study that I reviewed basically followed some players from 3 seasons prior to the injury to 3 seasons after the injury. The findings were that compared to 3 seasons prior to the injury, after the injury these players averaged 1/2 the games played per season. Another noted pattern was that they showed their best season to be during the first season back, which to begin with was nothing to brag about. The following 2 seasons showed progressively dramatic decreases in performance ratings.

JamesBill
09-23-2011, 08:50 PM
that's weird. Week 6 will be on year so I will with hold my judgement until then. His play had been downhill before the injury though. Roided Cushing just made us not notice

CloakNNNdagger
09-23-2011, 09:12 PM
that's weird. Week 6 will be on year so I will with hold my judgement until then. His play had been downhill before the injury though. Roided Cushing just made us not notice

Interestingly enough, he same study demonstrated that there was a "prodrome syndrome" in Achilles rupture players, where they demonstrated a significant decrease in power rating performance during the year preceding the rupture, presumably reflecting a chronic deterioration of the Achilles tendon leading up to the actual rupture.

MEGA SWATT
09-23-2011, 09:26 PM
Punctuation is a good thing. It makes posts easier to read and comprehend. :D

Dude I dont understand why you are acting like the designated english teacher on a texans board I mean we are all just here talking about the team we love and all and this is just an exciting time and you have to be busting his balls about punctuation and all that kind of stuff I just dont get it cause its just not necessary to be doing that can we all just get along I mean come on man come on
:vincepalm:

DocBar
09-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Dude I dont understand why you are acting like the designated english teacher on a texans board I mean we are all just here talking about the team we love and all and this is just an exciting time and you have to be busting his balls about punctuation and all that kind of stuff I just dont get it cause its just not necessary to be doing that can we all just get along I mean come on man come on
:vincepalm:Wow im sorry i didn't mean to offend your delicate sensabilities and i find it quite odd that you find a friendly reminder about punctuation to be busting someones balls i didn't say anything rude or nasty but youre right who cares about grammar as long as you know which team to root for :splits:

TexansFanatic
09-24-2011, 12:45 AM
Wow im sorry i didn't mean to offend your delicate sensabilities

Who told you I had a delicate sensibility?

What, is it your period?

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2uw8vFtR81qc2ky2o1_500.gif

http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/smilie2.gif

DocBar
09-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Who told you I had a delicate sensibility?

What, is it your period?

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2uw8vFtR81qc2ky2o1_500.gif

http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/smilie2.gifMaybe :backsout:

TexansFanatic
09-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Maybe :backsout:

Sorry for the sudden outburst. Your line about delicate sensibilities reminded me of one of my favorite movies of all time, The Departed. I've seen it so many times I've nearly memorized it line by line. ;-)

drunkcookie
09-24-2011, 01:30 PM
I like it when people, use too' much punctuation........myself;

Brandon420tx
09-25-2011, 05:16 PM
He looked good to me!! A very noticeable difference in play from Meco today

TheMatrix31
09-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Huge! Casey and DeMeco were the brightest of bright spots today.

Joeycharp89
09-25-2011, 05:18 PM
He looked good to me!! A very noticeable difference in play from Meco today

Agreed, he was all over the place breaking up plays.

gary
09-25-2011, 07:57 PM
Demeco looked sharp today.

GP
09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
He was wearing a significantly smaller pad/brace on that arm today.

I mentioned it over and over in the game thread, so I'll re-state it here.

I don;t know if he is indeed "healthier" in that arm, or if last week's HUGE pad/brace was limiting his range of movement. Or maybe a bit of both.

But he was night and day different from last week. Glad to see it.

TexCanada
09-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Cush and 'Meco were better today. Good sign.

dinkatoid
09-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Well, especially for 'Meco, time will make things better. His elbow will heal, and that will help him some, but we also have to remember that he is not only getting up to speed physically, but mentally as well. He was gone from football for a long time, comes back and has a whole new D to learn. Then he missed a large portion of the preseason with an elbow injury. He should continue to get better as he gets more comfortable week by week. We will also see more as Wade opens up the play book now.

stingray
09-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Another thread knee jerk reaction!! Demeco looks good!!!

dalemurphy
09-25-2011, 09:10 PM
He was wearing a significantly smaller pad/brace on that arm today.

I mentioned it over and over in the game thread, so I'll re-state it here.

I don;t know if he is indeed "healthier" in that arm, or if last week's HUGE pad/brace was limiting his range of movement. Or maybe a bit of both.

But he was night and day different from last week. Glad to see it.

I feel much better. He looked very good. I wonder if the elbow is significantly better or if he was so frustrated with his inability to play with that huge arm brace that he just chucked it... Either way, he looked good.

edo783
09-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Much better play. I have been worried, but am feeling better about his play.

Vinny
09-26-2011, 03:08 AM
I donno, you seem very over the top with your description and your "video evidence" not being very compelling imo-of course. I'll watch DeMeco closer this week and if I think you have a case I'll eat my words. I'd like a good habanero sauce to satisfy the palate if it comes to that though. :runaway:
nothing to eat here, so I'll save my habanero sauce for something worthy. With all the knee-jerking around tonight, I'm scared to add coherent thoughts. It may send us into a black hole or something. Too many hats on fire around here and not enough real football insight...makes this place a hard read tonight. I think I'll go to bed happy knowing this thread was a really just a joke to get clickies.