PDA

View Full Version : Texans workout former 1st rounder Gholston

texanfan2002114
09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
The Texans worked out six free agents on Tuesday, including defensive end Vernon Gholston, a former first-round draft choice.

The Texans, who try out players every Tuesday, also tried out defensive end Keyunta Dawson and linebackers Antwan Applewhite, Alex Hall, David Vobora and Cyril Obiozor, the latter of whom played at Texas A&M.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-work-out-former-first-round-pick-Gholston-2180571.php

BattleRedToro
09-20-2011, 08:40 PM
The Texans worked out six free agents on Tuesday, including defensive end Vernon Gholston, a former first-round draft choice.

The Texans, who try out players every Tuesday, also tried out defensive end Keyunta Dawson and linebackers Antwan Applewhite, Alex Hall, David Vobora and Cyril Obiozor, the latter of whom played at Texas A&M.

http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Texans-work-out-former-first-round-pick-Gholston-2180571.php

Is Antwan Applewhite, Major's brother ?

:vincepalm:

thunderkyss
no runninbacks?

WTF?

I guess we're going with Tate & Slaton... for the Saints.

HouSportsWriter
Please sign him!

DocBar
09-20-2011, 08:45 PM
I was wondering if the Texans would try him out. If they can get him cheap, maybe Wade can do something with him.

redwhiteANDblue
09-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Please sign him!

Why do you want them to sign him???? Just wondering

TimeKiller
09-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Why do you want them to sign him???? Just wondering

He looks like a gorilla, at 260 he could stand to gain some weight but DE depth is....Jamison and....Bulman? Yikes. Banking on a lot of health in the trenches. With his size/freak athleticism you just wonder what it is that keeps him off of rosters, I guess they figured that out today.

Texan_Bill
Okay, I'm intrigued!!!

TexansFanatic
There's always an urge among casual fans to sign a free agent who was previously a high draft choice.

Gholston was taken 6th overall. That's freaking high! Even I was initially urged to say SIGN HIM!!

But look at his history. Look at why the Jets cut him and nobody picked him up. Look at the fact that he recorded ZERO sacks in three years.

He's a bust. Plain and simple.

Allstar
09-20-2011, 08:59 PM
He played for Rex Ryan and has recorded exactly zero sacks. I don't think he's NFL material.

GP
09-20-2011, 08:59 PM
I was wondering if the Texans would try him out. If they can get him cheap, maybe Wade can do something with him.

Same here.

Sometimes, when you catch a guy who is sniffing a career of working the local used car lot, it wakes him up and he goes bonkers for your team.

Maybe this can be one of those situations. Maybe other coaches have not been as insightful in how to use the guy.

http://menofthescarletandgray.com/wp-content/uploads/gholston-ysu.jpg

Texan_Bill
09-20-2011, 09:00 PM
There's always an urge among casual fans to sign a free agent who was previously a high draft choice.

Gholston was taken 6th overall. That's freaking high! Even I was initially urged to say SIGN HIM!!

But look at his history. Look at why the Jets cut him and nobody picked him up. Look at the fact that he recorded ZERO sacks in three years.

You're missing the point.... Try him out as a "bit" player, NOT as a first round draft choice... More like a Sean Cody. Someone that could potentiely contribute...

XI CMURDER IX
09-20-2011, 09:00 PM
He played for Rex Ryan and has recorded exactly zero sacks. I don't think he's NFL material.

He wasn't Ryan's draft pick though was he? I read a while back Gholston said Ryan didn't even give him a chance to succeed.

TexansFanatic
09-20-2011, 09:03 PM
You're missing the point.... Try him out as a "bit" player, NOT as a first round draft choice... More like a Sean Cody. Someone that could potentiely contribute...

If Wade thinks he can use him, that's fine by me.

But I think it's pretty telling that a former 6th overall pick still hasn't been picked up by 31 other teams to be used as a bit player.

badboy
Bears and Jets have cut Gholston and here is an interesting article I read some time ago. Tried to copy a paragraph but could not, but if interested in this player you should read entire article.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Draft-bust-Vernon-Gholston-believes-that-Rex-Rya?urn=nfl-wp5651

GP
If you guys are going to defend the David Anderson re-acquisition (a guy who hasn't had a TD in 3 years) then why the "hate" for Gholston?

Hell, I bet Gholston could catch the ball and get more YAC than DA can. Ouch.

thunderkyss
09-20-2011, 09:05 PM
I think Mark Anderson worked out pretty well, similar situation.

He looks like he would be a mean OLB opposite Mario.

thunderkyss
09-20-2011, 09:06 PM

eriadoc
09-20-2011, 09:10 PM
If you guys are going to defend the David Anderson re-acquisition (a guy who hasn't had a TD in 3 years) then why the "hate" for Gholston?

1.) Because it sounds like he has major issues between the ears. Like it or not, talent doesn't mean shit if you can't fit into what your boss wants you to do. That goes for any profession, including NFL football player.

2.) Gholston made NINE plays in three years. NINE. PLAYS. I'm sticking with the midget white kid with no dance moves and a ton less physical ability.

TexansFanatic
09-20-2011, 09:11 PM
Bears and Jets have cut Gholston and here is an interesting article I read some time ago. Tried to copy a paragraph but could not, but if interested in this player you should read entire article.

Great find. Here you go:

Current Chicago Bears and former New York Jets defensive end Vernon Gholston(notes) wasn't content with having a bad enough day after the New York Giants beat the Bears in a 41-13 thrashing. After the game, Gholston had a few pops for Jets head coach Rex Ryan, a man whom Gholston believes never gave him a fair shake.

"I heard how he was perceiving me before the [2008] draft, before he knew me, and I was the same way -- I wasn't hoping for him to be [my] first coach of the Jets when I was there, either," Gholston said.

Selected sixth overall in the 2008 NFL draft out of Ohio State in the Jets' pre-Ryan administration, Gholston has been one of the biggest draft busts in recent NFL history; he has never recorded a sack in his NFL career, he has just five starts in three seasons, and according to Football Outsiders' metrics, he was involved in just nine total defensive plays last season. That's not per-snap participation, mind you — that's the number of plays in 2010 in which Gholston actually made any sort of impact. Nine.

Add in the fact that Gholston was inactive for all three of the Jets' postseason games in the 2010 season, and it was not a surprise that the Jets released him in early March. Gholston signed with the Bears in late July.

And according to Gholston, that series of moves was more about Ryan failing to see his talent than anything else.

Saying that his departure from the Jets was a "needed move," Gholston sounded quite entitled when discussing his status under Ryan. "Being a first-round pick, you would have hoped for more [of a chance]," he said. "Rex made a comment to me when he first came in that he thought I wasn't liked by the guys on the team, then once he got there he saw that wasn't the case. Those perceptions kind of determine the outcome, and it's sad to say.

"Teams are always looking for talent, and to say I don't have talent is a far stretch," he continued. "It's all about getting a fair shot and time in the system. With the Jets, it was constant position change and coaching change. There was no stability. I never really had that with the Jets."

Hmm. Well, that's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is that Gholston came out of Ohio State as a freakish athlete and a very underdeveloped football player. He never got the hang of the NFL, and while it's true of some players that they need a better scheme fit for their talents before they can turn it on, it's the rare player who washes out in a Rex Ryan defense and goes on to succeed elsewhere.

Gholston's more personal comments about Ryan are another matter, because Ryan had put a lot of thought into the player's future when he took the Jets' head-coaching position before the 2010 season. From his May 2011 book, Play Like You Mean It:

It's like how I've been dealing with Vernon Gholston … people were thinking it would be easy for me to get rid of him. Truth be told, I didn't like the kid coming out of college. He's a good athlete and a smart guy, but I thought he was a phony. We had him come to Baltimore, and I just didn't believe in him. I even told [former Jets coach Eric] Mangini not to draft him. Well, suddenly he was on my team, and I was going to have to work with him. I was not just going to give up on him — that's too easy. I thought, "He's one of my guys now, and I'll be damned if he's going to feel like that. He's going to know that I'm in his corner and I'm trying like hell to get him to play better."

I want him to see everything I'm about, so all those pictures I painted of him in 2008 — you know what I'm going to do? The same thing I did with the paint over the window in my office. I'm taking it down.

Ryan also talked about improving the on-field environment for Gholston:

Two guys I dumped in a hurry were tight end Chris Baker and linebacker Eric Barton(notes) … [Barton's] idea of trying to motivate Vernon Gholston was to rip the guy, yelling at him all the time that he wasn't giving enough effort, that he wasn't playing hard, that he wasn't measuring up. That's not showing respect. Those guys never respected the guys they played with.

Whatever you may or may not like about Rex Ryan, there is one absolutely true thing about the man. He connects with his players — indeed, any players — in a rare fashion. I remember hearing at the 2010 scouting combine that several of the draft prospects were asked which NFL coach they'd most like to play for … and Ryan won in a landslide. In addition, you have to look at Ryan's particular genius for extracting the best out of defensive players with his complex and aggressive schemes.

If Gholston didn't buy what Ryan was selling, he was in the minority — that's pretty clear. If he couldn't make it there, can he make it anywhere?

ChampionTexan
09-20-2011, 09:11 PM
no runninbacks?

WTF?

A. What have the Texans said or done to this point that makes you think Smith and Kubiak don't believe Foster is still a viable possibility for Sunday?

B. Who's out there on the street that you believe would be a better option than Ogbonnaya for a game five days from now?

Big Lou
09-20-2011, 10:24 PM

Yeah but when he does score IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG BABY!!!!! He brought the string dance back, I mean the string dance!!!!!!!!

Allstar
09-20-2011, 10:32 PM
The Bears kept Okoye over Gholston. I don't know the depth situation for their respective situations, but the fact is somewhat telling. I expect nothing out of the guy, but If I had to choose between signing him or not, I say we give him a shot anyways.

Vinnie
09-20-2011, 10:37 PM
If Wade thinks he can use him, that's fine by me.

This and only this.

GP, Christ man, you brought DA into this thread too? I think we should all somehow find a way to bring DA into every thread, we can make it a game.

Carr Bombed
09-20-2011, 10:51 PM

The only thing that's similar is both players were acquired off the street, however production wise there is no comparison. Mark Anderson already had 20+ career sacks (and a 12 sack season) before he ever came to Houston.

Don't mind them kicking the tires though. It's called doing their due diligence and I want them to do that, even if I'm expecting nothing from this acquisition.

A better comparison for this would be like when Houston kicked the tires on Michael Boulware who was another NFL bust.

Texn4life
09-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Guys, I have followed the Jets pretty close the last 3 years and trust me we DO NOT want this guy. Rex Ryan gave him every chance to succeed even saying he thought he would be a beast before Ryan's first year. He didn't make an impact so he moved to DE in their 3-4 where he played 5 technique. He was just as bad in that role. Ryan thought playing him in that role would basically allow Gholston to just use his strength to take on blocks, but he still wasn't close to being serviceable in that system.

The guy who intrigues me on that list is Antwan Applewhite. Most Charger fans will tell you that they thought he had starter ability in San Diego. He really just got lost in the shuffle behind some other players, but he's an awesome special teams player and probably a much better player than Braman at this point in their career. Would I cut Braman for him? No, but he knows the 3-4 defense and could contribute somewhere if called on from day 1.

DocBar
09-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Like I said earlier, it doesn't hurt to give the guy a workout. Wade Phillips has a reputation for being a players coach and getting the best out of them, also. It may turn out that the guy is just a combine freak, but he had a pretty good college career. LINK (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/vernon-gholston?id=756)
Vernon Gholston is a remarkable talent, but he's only just begun realizing his vast potential.
He never picked up a football until his sophomore year in high school and had just one season of defensive experience as a linebacker before being converted to defensive end when he arrived at Ohio State.
Blessed with incredible speed (clocked at 4.56 in the 40-yard dash), long limbs and superb strength, Gholston is the prototype pass rusher that professional teams look for -- big, fast, strong and explosive. An avid performer in the weight room, he boasted the best bench press on the team at 455 pounds. He also put on an impressive performance for teammates, squatting 405 pounds 20 times.

How Gholston was lured into football will one day make a nice story, if he becomes the legendary pass rusher many personnel experts are predicting. Walking in the halls of Cass Technical High School, football coach Thomas Wilcher spotted the 14-year-old strapping youngster, who stood 6-3, 240 pounds at the time. He convinced the player to join the football team.

Gholston was too big to play in Detroit's Police Athletic League and the elementary public schools did not offer an organized football program. From the first time he ever stepped on the field, the coaching staff knew they had a natural talent.

As a sophomore at Cass Tech, Gholston was first tried at linebacker, but he was overwhelmed by the plays he needed to know to play that position. One of the offensive coaches "stole" the youngster away from the defensive squad and had him play offensive guard as a sophomore. His junior campaign was limited by ankle sprains, which forced him to stay on the offensive line and scrap plans to also play linebacker.

By his senior season, he had already earned All-State honors as an offensive lineman and gained experience playing linebacker for the first time in his career. In just one season on defense, he was regarded as one of the best linebackers in the Midwest region. He would go on to record 75 tackles with six sacks in his final season, as Rivals.com rated him the 11th-best defensive end prospect in the nation and the 12th-best overall prospect in the state of Michigan.

Gholston enrolled at Ohio State, becoming the only player from Michigan on the squad. He turned down scholarship offers from Michigan, Michigan State and Iowa to join the Buckeyes. The coaching staff immediately began giving him a crash course in playing the "Leo" position, which incorporates dropping into pass coverage and rushing the passer from either side of the field.

He mentored under Mike Kudla his first year with the team, appearing in six games as a true freshman in 2004, but did not record a tackle. In 2005, a broken hand suffered in the second game vs. Texas earned Gholston a medical hardship. He had one tackle in that game and spent the rest of the year on the sideline.

Gholston used that time wisely in the weight room, bulking up from 238 to 264 pounds, as he took over "Leo" duties in 2006. He garnered All-Big Ten Conference second-team honors, as he ranked fourth in the league with 15 stops for losses of 86 yards and was fifth in the Big Ten with 8.5 sacks. He added a quarterback pressure with two pass breakups and an interception. He also finished sixth on the squad with 49 tackles (21 solo).

In 2007, Gholston earned All-American recognition and was a finalist for the Ted Hendricks Award, given to the nation's top defensive end. He posted 37 tackles (25 solo) and was a terror in the backfield, ranking eighth in the nation with 15.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage and second nationally with 14 sacks. He also scooped up a fumble and returned it for a 25-yard touchdown.

In 34 games at Ohio State, Gholston started 25 times. He registered 87 tackles (47 solo) with 22.5 sacks for minus-184 yards and 30.5 stops for losses of 199 yards. He had two pass deflections and an eight-yard interception return, as he also recovered a fumble that he returned 25 yards for a touchdown.
I'm not necessarily for signing him, but if Phillips thinks he can use him, I'm good with it. DE or OLB, though? The guy has the speed and athleticism to be a good 3-4 OLB.

Texn4life
09-20-2011, 11:03 PM
The thing about Gholston is his speed and athleticism doesn't translate to the field at the NFL level. Combine numbers have gotten plenty of scouts and GM's their walking papers in the past.

Playoffs
09-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Just another in a long list of first round DL who can't play in the NFL.

I like that they're "shaking the bushes" for talent, though.

DocBar
09-20-2011, 11:08 PM
The thing about Gholston is his speed and athleticism doesn't translate to the field at the NFL level. Combine numbers have gotten plenty of scouts and GM's their walking papers in the past.That's very true. Players can turn their careers around, though. He might benefit from being in the type of atmosphere the Texans have. Who knows?

chicagotexan2
09-20-2011, 11:09 PM
He looks like a gorilla, at 260 he could stand to gain some weight but DE depth is....Jamison and....Bulman? Yikes. Banking on a lot of health in the trenches. With his size/freak athleticism you just wonder what it is that keeps him off of rosters, I guess they figured that out today.

Looks like a gorilla but played like Jane. I think Rex wouldve used him if he could play. It could be a cheap gamble with no risk I guess.

Texn4life
09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
That's very true. Players can turn their careers around, though. He might benefit from being in the type of atmosphere the Texans have. Who knows?

The problem with that is he hasn't shown the ability to beat out Undrafted players in other places before. So who do you cut for him? I wouldn't cut our waterboy for this guy. I've seen him play quite a few times with the Jets and the guy just didn't look like he wanted to play football. I'll take Braman over him every day of the week.

Rey
09-20-2011, 11:20 PM
I haven't seen him play a lot, but it seems like he'd make a good MLB in this defense.

Vinnie
09-20-2011, 11:22 PM
The problem with that is he hasn't shown the ability to beat out Undrafted players in other places before. So who do you cut for him?

You cut no one and keep him in the back of your mind if a need arises, which hopefully won't.

DocBar
09-20-2011, 11:23 PM
The problem with that is he hasn't shown the ability to beat out Undrafted players in other places before. So who do you cut for him? I wouldn't cut our waterboy for this guy. I've seen him play quite a few times with the Jets and the guy just didn't look like he wanted to play football. I'll take Braman over him every day of the week.I'll take Braman over him, too. I don't even know that I would sign him. That's what they pay Wade for. He does take my opinions into consideration, though. :jam::jam:

Texn4life
09-20-2011, 11:25 PM
I haven't seen him play a lot, but it seems like he'd make a good MLB in this defense.

That would be his 3rd position change in 3 years. May as well try him out for DT too right? We need one of those too. Come on now, I'm all for giving guys an opportunity who can play but this guy can't. Mo Wilkerson who is the 1st round draft pick for the Jets has already surpassed "the Ghost" in his 2nd game with a grand total of 1 sacks. Its a reason he's known as "the Ghost". The guy is no where to be found around the ball. I remember 1 game in the preseason last year when the announcers got excited about a QB hurry? Really? And this is the guy some of us want.

Jackie Chiles
09-20-2011, 11:26 PM
He's a bust. This is the kind of thread that probably popped up in Carolina when they signed Carr. We can fix him, team X didn't know what they were doing, he has all the tools. Bust.

DexmanC
09-20-2011, 11:28 PM
Vernon sux, is a first round bust, and will never amount to CRAP!

signed,

Jason Babin

Texn4life
09-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I'll take Braman over him, too. I don't even know that I would sign him. That's what they pay Wade for. He does take my opinions into consideration, though. :jam::jam:

Haha, Well then recommend Applewhite if we do need a LB replacement. He has played inside and outside in this defense with the Chargers. Much better option if we need a fill in replacement.

Jackie Chiles
09-20-2011, 11:36 PM

signed,

Jason Babin

I'll see your Jason Babin and raise you a Jamal Reynolds.

ArlingtonTexan
09-20-2011, 11:50 PM
The only thing of interest of out that article is the Texans may be looking to turn the bottom of their LB (both ILB and OLB) depth chart since they worked 5 or so.

Outside of that lots of people getting excited because they recognize a name on these Tuesday workouts. Hoenstly, any of these guys playing (even if signed) most likely means there have been multiple injures in the LB corp which does not excite me in one bit.

Texn4life
09-21-2011, 12:00 AM
The only thing of interest of out that article is the Texans may be looking to turn the bottom of their LB (both ILB and OLB) depth chart since they worked 5 or so.

Outside of that lots of people getting excited because they recognize a name on these Tuesday workouts. Hoenstly, any of these guys playing (even if signed) most likely means there have been multiple injures in the LB corp which does not excite me in one bit.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm hoping that Demeco isn't more hurt than they're letting on. Applewhite fits better as an OLB, but I can see him playing inside as well. I'm honestly not too familiar with the other guys besides him and Gholston.

Carr Bombed
09-21-2011, 12:01 AM

signed,

Jason Babin

Not really. Jason Babin was always pretty decent when allowed to play his natural position. We were the ones who failed when we tried to make him a OLBer.

Jason Babin could rush the passer with his hand in the dirt.

TexanSam
09-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Jason Babin could pass the rusher with his hand in the dirt.

Now that is really impressive! lol

beerlover
09-21-2011, 12:18 AM
Keyunta Dawson is a local kid, went undrafted even though Texans brought him in twice pre-draft that year leading my speculation Texans would draft him. Instead the Colts picked him up & he made their 53 man roster filling in for Freeney when injured & even got a sack or two against Schaub. He might be an excellent fit OLB, I'll trust Wade to finally make him their guy :texanbill:

Carr Bombed
09-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Now that is really impressive! lol

LOL, my bad

Long day at work. That was pretty funny though. :)

DocBar
09-21-2011, 12:21 AM
LOL, my bad

Long day at work. That was pretty funny though. :)I literally :spit:

Texn4life
09-21-2011, 12:23 AM
Keyunta Dawson is a local kid, went undrafted even though Texans brought him in twice pre-draft that year leading my speculation Texans would draft him. Instead the Colts picked him up & he made their 53 man roster filling in for Freeney when injured & even got a sack or two against Schaub. He might be an excellent fit OLB, I'll trust Wade to finally make him their guy :texanbill:

Yeah, I don't really remember seeing him at all but he did start 20 games for the Colts. The downside? He recorded 1 sack. If he can't rush the passer on the edge then I'd pass on him as well.

The Cush
09-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I don't really remember seeing him at all but he did start 20 games for the Colts. The downside? He recorded 1 sack. If he can't rush the passer on the edge then I'd pass on him as well.

Key Dawson played up here at Tech and when he went to the Colts they played him inside for most of his tenure there

ObsiWan
09-21-2011, 04:05 AM
Just another in a long list of first round DL who can't play in the NFL.

I like that they're "shaking the bushes" for talent, though.

I just hope we're doing the same thing for the O-line....
"Beating the bushes" for quality backups, I mean

fiasco west
09-21-2011, 04:32 AM
I'll see your Jason Babin and raise you a Jamal Reynolds.

Yeah but it would be nice to try. Problem is we'd have to cut someone. I don't think much of him. The Bears and Jets passed on him. I could see if it were two teams who knew nothing about defense...but these teams have great defensive staffs and I think if they thought they could get something out of the guy he'd still be with one of those teams.

BattleRedToro
09-21-2011, 06:03 AM
Yeah but it would be nice to try. Problem is we'd have to cut someone. I don't think much of him. The Bears and Jets passed on him. I could see if it were two teams who knew nothing about defense...but these teams have great defensive staffs and I think if they thought they could get something out of the guy he'd still be with one of those teams.

Sometimes a player bounces around the league before they become a productive player. Sometimes they never become productive.

I trust Wade Phillips and his staff on player evaluation.

Does Vernon Gholston have practice squad eligibility?

BigBull17
09-21-2011, 07:32 AM

Dude is yoked. I'd try him out. Whats the worst that happens? Doesn't work, cut him.

1.) Because it sounds like he has major issues between the ears. Like it or not, talent doesn't mean shit if you can't fit into what your boss wants you to do. That goes for any profession, including NFL football player.

2.) Gholston made NINE plays in three years. NINE. PLAYS. I'm sticking with the midget white kid with no dance moves and a ton less physical ability.

You may not want to bold NINE PLAYS in three years when defending DA. That may be 7 more than DA has had.

Blake
09-21-2011, 08:16 AM
All I know is that the same team that took Amobi Okoye and has gotten some production out of him also tried out Gholston and said Thanks, but no thanks.

Not sure what role they see him playing.

thunderkyss
09-21-2011, 09:06 AM
no runninbacks?

WTF?

A. What have the Texans said or done to this point that makes you think Smith and Kubiak don't believe Foster is still a viable possibility for Sunday?

B. Who's out there on the street that you believe would be a better option than Ogbonnaya for a game five days from now?

So in your opinion, do you think some of us may be over-reacting to the Arian Foster situation?

steelbtexan
09-21-2011, 09:18 AM
All I know is that the same team that took Amobi Okoye and has gotten some production out of him also tried out Gholston and said Thanks, but no thanks.

Yep if Marinelli cant get it out of Gholston it's not in him.

I'll raise you guys a Mike Mamula.

TEXANS84
09-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Someone said it perfectly on pft.com:

"Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane"

IDEXAN
09-21-2011, 10:22 AM

signed,

Jason Babin
Babin wasn't a 3-4 OLB which is where Dom Capers drafted him to play, and when given the opportunity to play as a 4-3 DE he did well. His last year here (when Kubiak arrived and the Texans returned to the 4-3), Babin played pretty well as a DE but they let him go. After that he bounced around awhile, but I suspect nobody had much of an investment in him anymore and he wasn't given a real opportunity until he got to Nashville.
I watched him Sunday night in the Philly vs ATL game and he was relentless. He's a max effort guy whon never stops and is effective in the 4-3.

HOU-TEX
09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Meh, in Wade I'll trust, but my first reaction was heck no. Dude didn't make it for the Jets (3-4) or the Bears (4-3).

hadaad
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
If we didn't have to give him a roster spot, I'd be all over it. As it is, who do we drop to bring this guy in?

But, as has been said, if Wade wants him, welcome to the team.

Texn4life
09-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I still say there is no way on earth we sign this guy. He isn't the type of player that Wade normally goes for. Wade typically loves high motor guys. He has the motor of a lawn mower, not a high speed ferrari.

The1ApplePie
09-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Has the physical upside to gamble on. He can play special teams apparently, which would be useful.

Texn4life
09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Has the physical upside to gamble on. He can play special teams apparently, which would be useful.

He was an extremely average special teams player in New York. There is a reason he's still sitting on the street right now with no job.

thunderkyss
09-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Babin wasn't a 3-4 OLB which is where Dom Capers drafted him to play, and when given the opportunity to play as a 4-3 DE he did well. His last year here (when Kubiak arrived and the Texans returned to the 4-3), Babin played pretty well as a DE but they let him go. After that he bounced around awhile, but I suspect nobody had much of an investment in him anymore and he wasn't given a real opportunity until he got to Nashville.
I watched him Sunday night in the Philly vs ATL game and he was relentless. He's a max effort guy whon never stops and is effective in the 4-3.

I wouldn't argue with anyone on this 'board about Jason Babin. The guy was hated by so many (most) people on this board, it wasn't funny.

You mention a good play by Babin & you'd think you were singing the praises of David Carr or Phillip Buchanon... The fans here (the original board really) never forgave Babin for being drafted by the Houston Texans.

& now that he's out there actually doing something..... "We should have known.... Fire Kubiak..... Fire Smith.... blah, blah, blah... " Or they want to question Kubiak/Smith's ability to assess player capability.

Classic.

ChampionTexan
09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
So in your opinion, do you think some of us may be over-reacting to the Arian Foster situation?

I don't pretend to have a clue as to the correct reaction to Arian's situation, and I'm not saying The Texans are handling it right or wrong (again, I try to avoid casting blame (or spreading praise) where I don't have enough facts to do so). I'm just saying that even if they should have, the Texans haven't indicated they believe it's a foregone conclusion Arian will be inactive on Sunday. Everything I've heard from them indicates they still think he might play.

kiwitexansfan
09-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Dude is yoked. I'd try him out. Whats the worst that happens? Doesn't work, cut him.

Well you are releasing a player off the roster who may be better than Gholston and exposing him to the rest of the NFL.

As for bringing him in cause he is yoked, is that really your argument, muscles = NFL talent?

BigBull17
09-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Well you are releasing a player off the roster who may be better than Gholston and exposing him to the rest of the NFL.

As for bringing him in cause he is yoked, is that really your argument, muscles = NFL talent?

Just a comment. He is obviously athletic. I would be willing to bring him in for Bulmen. He's very fringe and I don't think he is indispensable. Or DA

TimeKiller
09-21-2011, 02:17 PM

As a Qb or WR or RB, no, muscles don't amount to a whole lot, even if they do add on to talent.

As a DL?!? Yeah, I'd say a pretty good portion of the game is size and strength. That's why David Anderson isn't backing up JJ Watt.

I hope nobody thinks I'm gonna die if they don't sign him. I'm saying as a backup and in comparison to Tim Bulman..........Bulman is kind of a total scrub on a team with fewer and fewer of his types.

BigBull17
09-21-2011, 02:18 PM
As a Qb or WR or RB, no, muscles don't amount to a whole lot, even if they do add on to talent.

As a DL?!? Yeah, I'd say a pretty good portion of the game is size and strength. That's why David Anderson isn't backing up JJ Watt.

I hope nobody thinks I'm gonna die if they don't sign him. I'm saying as a backup and in comparison to Tim Bulman..........Bulman is kind of a total scrub on a team with fewer and fewer of his types.

And Gholstons floor is about equal with Bulmans ceiling.

HOU-TEX
09-21-2011, 02:27 PM
And Gholstons floor is about equal with Bulmans ceiling.

Bulman's had 32 tackles and 4 sacks in his limited career as an UDFA. Gholston has had 24 tackles and 0 sacks for his limited career as a 1st rounder. So it looks like Bulman's floor is Gholston's ceiling to me.

Gholston hasn't gotten off the floor in 3 years. Why would he start now

Rey
09-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Bulman's had 32 tackles and 4 sacks in his limited career as an UDFA. Gholston has had 24 tackles and 0 sacks for his limited career as a 1st rounder. So it looks like Bulman's floor is Gholston's ceiling to me.

Gholston hasn't gotten off the floor in 3 years. Why would he start now

Yep...And Bulman has actually looked pretty good to me in his limited action...This is a good defense for DE/DT tweeners like him.

mikefont
09-21-2011, 02:57 PM

Ahhhh...high draft pick busts. David Carr @ #1 anyone?

:vincepalm:

kiwitexansfan
09-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Looking good with your shirt off, and looking huge doesn't make you football strong.

GP
09-21-2011, 03:07 PM
This and only this.

GP, Christ man, you brought DA into this thread too? I think we should all somehow find a way to bring DA into every thread, we can make it a game.

It's like that Kevin Bacon game. How can we connect David Anderson to every Texans news item?

Seρor Stan
09-21-2011, 03:09 PM
It's like that Kevin Bacon game. How can we connect David Anderson to every Texans news item?

GP...where is my "Hilter hates the David Anderson signing" video.

I am more than a little disappointed in you.

BigBull17
09-21-2011, 05:00 PM

We play this game long enough and others may hate the signing like we do

ObsiWan
09-21-2011, 05:37 PM

Yep if Marinelli cant get it out of Gholston it's not in him.

I'll raise you guys a Mike Mamula.

Interesting points. Maybe you're right.
...But....

Gholston would have had to take P/T from Julius Peppers or Israel Idonije to play end and I doubt he's good enough at LB to steal snaps from Briggs, Urlacher, or Roach.

Anyone recall who Amobi had to unseat to get into the DT rotation in Chicago?
Anyone....?
They've been looking for a halfway decent DT since they kicked Tank Johnson off the team. Amobi may not be top ten pick quality but he is halfway decent.

So that's kind of an apples & oranges comparison.

Anyway, all that said, my bottom line is:
if Wade thought he was good enough to take a peek at, that's good enough for me.

Dutchrudder
09-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Vernon Gholston has a better chance of being in the starting lineup of a Taco Bell than he does starting for an NFL team.

ObsiWan
09-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Vernon Gholston has a better chance of being in the starting lineup of a Taco Bell than he does starting for an NFL team.

I seriously doubt Wade brought any of those guys in because he was looking for a starter. We're good and set at starter.

Wade was most likely...
(a) looking for a quality player to upgrade our backups
or
(b) looking at who was out there in case (God forbid) one of the guys in our D-line rotation is out for an extended period.

TimeKiller
09-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Amobi's best performance was as a fundraiser. At least Gholston can LOOK like a badass.

Not defending Gholston....just wanted to make sure Okoye's reputation doesn't get smoothed over....

beerlover
09-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Does anyone know if the Texans have signed any of the players they brought in to workout Tuesday?

Texn4life
09-22-2011, 01:34 AM
Does anyone know if the Texans have signed any of the players they brought in to workout Tuesday?

No moves as of yet, but Kubiak mentioned today that Chris Ogbannaya may be signed off of the practiced squad this week due to the thinning running back situation. I guess keeping all those backs wasn't a bad idea after all was it? I feel pretty bad for Bulman because he'll probably be waived again for the game and re-signed later if that's the case.

kiwitexansfan
09-22-2011, 01:52 AM
Amobi's best performance was as a fundraiser. At least Gholston can LOOK like a badass.

Not defending Gholston....just wanted to make sure Okoye's reputation doesn't get smoothed over....

To be fair Okoye wasn't a terrible player. He just way underperformed his draft spot and contract. If he had been a late rounder or udfa he would be a fan favourite.

Isn't it a matter of perspective.

Lucky
09-22-2011, 06:33 AM
To be fair Okoye wasn't a terrible player. He just way underperformed his draft spot and contract. If he had been a late rounder or udfa he would be a fan favourite.

Isn't it a matter of perspective.
It's a matter of the organization's perspective, as well. If Okoye had been a late rounder or UDFA, he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did or thrown into the starting lineup. 1st rounders get a longer leash. That's the way it is and always will be.

welsh texan
09-22-2011, 06:50 AM
It's a matter of the organization's perspective, as well. If Okoye had been a late rounder or UDFA, he wouldn't have lasted as long as he did or thrown into the starting lineup. 1st rounders get a longer leash. That's the way it is and always will be.

I'm not so sure thats the way it always will be. Look at our 2nd rounders this year, previous years they'd have been thrown in, this year they haven't seen much of the field at all. I hope that isn't just down to the shortened pre-season, I hope that draft spot no longer plays a factor in how soon someone starts.

Now this year may not be the best indication of that, we have a new D, a shortened offseason, and JJ Watt is a beast.

I hope if someone like Okoye gets drafted again, and lets face it, every organisation makes mistakes, then he won't start until/unless he can prove he's ready.

Okoye is such a horrible example of this organisations past drafting, you draft a project in round 1, and THEN you start him from game 1?? That is poor, really poor. The guy didn't have a chance.

There is of course the nice idea that you sign Gholston up to a small contract and you get the #6 overall talent in return. But the chances are you get the bust AND lose the hard working blue collar guy with upside like Braman or whoever you cut. I'd stand pat myself. Keep teaching the guys you've got up cos they'll only improve as they get used to the system.

DocBar
09-22-2011, 07:12 AM
I'm not so sure thats the way it always will be. Look at our 2nd rounders this year, previous years they'd have been thrown in, this year they haven't seen much of the field at all. I hope that isn't just down to the shortened pre-season, I hope that draft spot no longer plays a factor in how soon someone starts.

Now this year may not be the best indication of that, we have a new D, a shortened offseason, and JJ Watt is a beast.

I hope if someone like Okoye gets drafted again, and lets face it, every organisation makes mistakes, then he won't start until/unless he can prove he's ready.

Okoye is such a horrible example of this organisations past drafting, you draft a project in round 1, and THEN you start him from game 1?? That is poor, really poor. The guy didn't have a chance.

There is of course the nice idea that you sign Gholston up to a small contract and you get the #6 overall talent in return. But the chances are you get the bust AND lose the hard working blue collar guy with upside like Braman or whoever you cut. I'd stand pat myself. Keep teaching the guys you've got up cos they'll only improve as they get used to the system.Our draft picks not being thrown in the fire is a direct result of having better talent on the team. We can actually let our younger players learn from the sidelines and selective substitution. That's how good teams do it. In previous yeras, we had no depth and draft picks were expected to produce from day one with no learning curve involved. That has been the bane of the Texans since David Carr. Once more, karma is a ******.

kiwitexansfan
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
How often was there a better player on the bench behing Okoye?

If anything the issue is they didn't bring in a DT because they were invested in him.