PDA

View Full Version : Should Butler get a shot a RT?

Big Lou
09-19-2011, 05:24 PM
I know the sky isn't falling when it comes to Winston "AKA The Drive Killer", I realize he is above average at run blocking. However he struggles with Speed Rushers.

However for funs sake do you think Butler should get a shot a RT to put a fire under Winstons ass?

I know Butler is the swing tackle, but I wonder if his skill set is more or a LT than a RT.

Winston has become the Antonio Smith of the O-Line with those Holds.

Thoughts??????

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I know the sky isn't falling when it comes to Winston "AKA The Drive Killer", I realize he is above average at run blocking. However he struggles with Speed Rushers.

However for funs sake do you think Butler should get a shot a RT to put a fire under Winstons ass?

I know Butler is the swing tackle, but I wonder if his skill set is more or a LT than a RT.

Thoughts??????

Umm...no

Because you already said yourself Butler is more of a LT than a RT, so it doesn't make sense.

Also if you do that we'll have no "swing tackle" on this team to back up both tackle spots. Eric Winston (regardless of playing the position in college) is NOT a NFL LT.

And if Eric Winston was the "Antonio Smith" of the Oline, this thread wouldn't even be here, because that would mean Eric Winston was well on his way towards a probowl appearance.

thunderkyss
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Also if you do that we'll have no "swing tackle" on this team to back up both tackle spots. Eric Winston (regardless of playing the position in college) is NOT a NFL LT.

You just changed my mind.

Good Point.

Rey
09-19-2011, 05:51 PM
No.

If Winston completely sucks, sure....But I don't think we've reached that point yet, and honestly I doubt we will.

welsh texan
09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Antonio Smith is one of the best FA pickups in this teams history, his contract, whilst a good figure, doesn't break the bank, and he has anchored the other side of the line opposite Mario for a number of years where Mario would have suffered big time had we still had (I've forgotten the guys name who he replaced, and I am soooo happy about that because he was awful :ahhaha:)

As for Winston, I have floated this idea in the gameday thread but I think LT should be the number one priority in next years draft, moving Brown to RT and give Winston a shot at guard where he could be pretty good for us.

I don't know how others feel about that, and it would depend on who was available with the #32 pick :smiliedance: but I can't help but feel that whilst there is nothing too bad about Brown, you could get an upgrade eventually.

TexansForTheW
09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
I think a creative thing to do that hasn't been discussed, is moving Winston to right guard, and sliding Butler to RT. That would make our O-line better in pass protection. As for running the ball it may make us a little worse. I think it's an interesting thought.

hradhak
09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Antonio Smith is one of the best FA pickups in this teams history, his contract, whilst a good figure, doesn't break the bank, and he has anchored the other side of the line opposite Mario for a number of years where Mario would have suffered big time had we still had (I've forgotten the guys name who he replaced, and I am soooo happy about that because he was awful :ahhaha:)

As for Winston, I have floated this idea in the gameday thread but I think LT should be the number one priority in next years draft, moving Brown to RT and give Winston a shot at guard where he could be pretty good for us.

I don't know how others feel about that, and it would depend on who was available with the #32 pick :smiliedance: but I can't help but feel that whilst there is nothing too bad about Brown, you could get an upgrade eventually.

I like the idea of drafting another tackle, but really who can you get at the 32nd overall. :hurrah:

Seriously though Winston always has some bonehead drivekilling play. I'm fine with Brown at LT and just drafting a RT.

Also speaking of blitz pickup Ben Tate maybe a great runner but he missed a lot of blitzes Sunday.

Big Lou
09-19-2011, 06:37 PM

I didn't clarify the Antonio Smsith comment. I meant that Winston is good for a hold or two per game as Smith is always good for an Off Sides or two.

I like Smith, he brings a nasty streak to the team and the D-Line that is needed.

thunderkyss
09-19-2011, 07:43 PM
I didn't clarify the Antonio Smsith comment. I meant that Winston is good for a hold or two per game as Smith is always good for an Off Sides or two.

I like Smith, he brings a nasty streak to the team and the D-Line that is needed.

Actually, I think holding penalties are pretty rare on this team.

False starts maybe...

BigBull17
09-20-2011, 09:28 AM
No.

If Winston completely sucks, sure....But I don't think we've reached that point yet, and honestly I doubt we will.

WInston struggled vs Wake, as did alot of guys last year. He gave up a sack to Mathis...as did alot of guys. I think he can improve, but he is far from a glaring weakness. I think he needs more chips. No shame in it.

BigBull17
09-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I'll take a hold over giving up a sack any day.

Blake
09-20-2011, 09:44 AM

Thoughts??????

Thoughts? You do realize that Antonio Smith is our most consistent impact player on the defense right? Not sure why you are trying to knock him.

The old saying is that everyone loves the backup QB. Well now its the backup RT as well. I think Winston is doing fine and will get better as the season goes on. No reason to mess with our starting oline chemistry just because Winston has a few correctable issues.

So my answer would be no.

TheCD
09-20-2011, 10:12 AM

Anthony Weaver, just so you know. He was a pretty funny guy, just never did anything for us after leaving the Ravens.

TimeKiller
09-20-2011, 05:52 PM
If anything put Butler at LT and Brown at RT, even though I know that won't happen.

OL/WR are looking upgradeable, thinking waayyyyy to far ahead to next year's draft. I wonder how Winston and Brown would respond if one or both of them dropped inside to guard. Brown would be special with his athleticism and size. Winston might struggle being so tall but he's so huge I just can't imagine trying to push him around all day.

Honoring Earl 34
09-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Just get Butler to take over the radio shows for awhile . :spin:

Lucky
09-20-2011, 06:40 PM
If Butler was better than Winston, he'd be playing ahead of Winston. And he would have gotten a contract offer from another team in free agency. No, I'm not happy with Winston's pass protection, thus far. But, I also know he's better than Butler, who was dominated in his short stint as a starter in 2010. Kubiak has to adjust and put a TE next to Winston when he faces a speed rusher.

Big Lou
09-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Thoughts? You do realize that Antonio Smith is our most consistent impact player on the defense right? Not sure why you are trying to knock him.

The old saying is that everyone loves the backup QB. Well now its the backup RT as well. I think Winston is doing fine and will get better as the season goes on. No reason to mess with our starting oline chemistry just because Winston has a few correctable issues.

So my answer would be no.

I clarified my Antonio comment above. I really like Smith, I was just making a little joke about his false starts compared to Winstons holds.

Big Lou
09-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Umm...no

Because you already said yourself Butler is more of a LT than a RT, so it doesn't make sense.

And if Eric Winston was the "Antonio Smith" of the Oline, this thread wouldn't even be here, because that would mean Eric Winston was well on his way towards a probowl appearance.

I agree with most of what you said but I would ask shouldn't you put your best 11 players out on the field.

DocBar
09-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Umm...no

And if Eric Winston was the "Antonio Smith" of the Oline, this thread wouldn't even be here, because that would mean Eric Winston was well on his way towards a probowl appearance.You could always move Winston back to RT and Butler to LT if the need arose, which I hope it doesn't.

Carr Bombed
09-20-2011, 10:20 PM
You could always move Winston back to RT and Butler to LT if the need arose, which I hope it doesn't.

This is true. That is what they would have to do if they made that move.

I just don't like the idea of replacing Winston at RT...I'd rather give him some help. For as shaky as he is in pass protection, he's even more valuable in the running game and I like running the football. Don't really feel like messing with our run blocking too much more than we already have, since we already lost Leach.

There's no question that his play needs to pick up though. Cameron Wake turned him inside and out, but speed rushers have always done that to him.

80tothezone
09-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Winston, but Miami has a pretty stout front 7 against the pass I think if he continues to struggle u give him some help on the pass with either a back chipping or a TE on his side .... btw watched the game again and several time he got beat it looked like Tate was supposed to chip the end for him...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

DocBar
09-21-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Winston, but Miami has a pretty stout front 7 against the pass I think if he continues to struggle u give him some help on the pass with either a back chipping or a TE on his side .... btw watched the game again and several time he got beat it looked like Tate was supposed to chip the end for him...

Sent from my DROID X2 using TapatalkGiving him help is all fine and dandy til it starts affecting how we run our offense. The offense is predicated on a lot of similar looks that don't tip anything off to the defense. Sending Winston help against premier passrushers is one thing, but he's struggled against less than stellar talent in his career.

thunderkyss
09-21-2011, 08:49 AM
I really don't understand the guys thinking this is something new with Winston. This has been a constant. Last year, was really bad & it looks like he's on track to make last season look like an all pro type season.

There was a time, when I said Myers was the most consistent OL we had... making him the best of the bunch. But now, the guys around him, with the exception of Winston has really picked up their game. Myers & Winston are the weekest link in our line & I expect one of the two to be upgraded.

I understand continuity & the center is the leader of the line... I can't see us making a move there... so that leaves....

:kitten:

Honoring Earl 34
09-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I really don't understand the guys thinking this is something new with Winston. This has been a constant. Last year, was really bad & it looks like he's on track to make last season look like an all pro type season.

There was a time, when I said Myers was the most consistent OL we had... making him the best of the bunch. But now, the guys around him, with the exception of Winston has really picked up their game. Myers & Winston are the weekest link in our line & I expect one of the two to be upgraded.

I understand continuity & the center is the leader of the line... I can't see us making a move there... so that leaves....

Greg Koch said he needs to focus on football .

Big Lou
03-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Looks like Butler will get that shot more than likely.

Maybe the Texans FO does read this board. LOL

This was gonna be an awesome draft since we didn't have any absolute must have positions that we had to fill in the draft. I was looking forward to BPA, oh well.

SW H-TOWN
03-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Should Butler get a shot at RT, yes. Should Butler just be handed the job, no.

Norg
03-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Well i guess Butler & newton Impressed the coches so much in """"practice"""" LOL hes got the Job Winston is cut !!!!!!!!!!

Unless they have been eying a Tackle in the draft that has fallen to them Can teams contact other teams to give them a idea on who they are gunning for ????

thus u will pretty much know what players have a good percentage of falling to u ????

TheRealJoker
03-14-2012, 06:55 AM
Butler did an admirable job filling in while Brown was suspended. If he's 100% he'll be a solid starter at RT.... IF he's 100%.

thunderkyss
03-14-2012, 07:49 AM

Not that I want to pat myself on the back or anything. I've stated before that I was never a Winston fan. I also understand the Texans most likely would not have cut him had it not been for the $5.5M cap hit he would cost them in 2012.

Looks like there should be a little mud on my face for this one. Chris Myers???? Pfft.. No doubt he stepped his game up in 2011 & Wade Smith regressed something horrible.

Kudos to Chris for an excellent 2011 & I do hope he's back for many more.

yeah..... I got back to kicking Winston.