PDA

View Full Version : Check out this Houston area Saints fan..

nate4l1f3
09-19-2011, 06:15 PM
http://blackandgold.com/saints/36521-houston-americas-most-pathetic-sports-city.html

Sad Sad man... He is so wrong on soo many points

redwhiteANDblue
09-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Hmm all of a sudden I can't wait for the Texans to kick the aints ass

TheCD
09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
His points are all over the place:

You can live in Houston and be completely unaware there is an NFL team here. 80% of the people here are soccer fans. You dont see Texans stuff anywhere. Matt Schaub can probably shop in any store, or eat at
any restaurant any time, and not even be bothered. Compare that with New Orleans, where even our linemen are celebrities.

That's fine and all, but the guy lives in Houston, wtf would he know about linemen being celebrities in NO?

Their sports talk here in Houston is the biggest nerd - fest you'll ever hear. Every caller sounds like he's broadcasting live from his mama's basement, quoting statistics and contracts, and salary caps...

You go from Poindexter in the Houston suburbs
asking a statistical question to a lady on WWL yesterday who calls in yelling, "Its on like a pot of chitlins."

Um...erm...not sure about you guys but the point he's trying to make here sounds like people who call into football radio shows talking about food instead of football are better football fans.

There is no way any sane person who remembers the Oilers and the whole Astrodome experience could love the Texans. Its not even the same game anymore.

I'll let you guys comment on that bit.

If he wants to talk about us in those terms ("America's most pathetic sports city") he should at least present facts like our constant heartbreaking losses. Maybe even us having never made the playoffs. But he doesn't mention NO being a better place because of good football.

And the most confusing part:

You know our fans live and die with the Saints.

I wasn't aware the Saints had any fans before Hurricane Katrina happened and it became fashionable. Weren't they in danger of moving to San Antonio or L.A. because no one was showing up?

The Cush
09-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Its funny how he just leaves out the Rockets and our championships. Apparently we are also predominantly a soccer town? I don't even think that guy lives in Houston

houstonspartan
09-19-2011, 06:32 PM
LOL. A buddy and me have a running joke about New Orleans. We say it's a great place to go party for a weekend, but as a city, it's a total shithole. We also notice that, whenever it is pointed out to New Orleans residents that their city has a) no infrastructure b) terrible schools c) an extremely high crime rate d) no fortune 500 companies, e) no jobs and f) corrupt politicians, all they can come back with is: "Well, at least we have good gumbo."

LOL.

Sure enough, that's what this jerk did.

New Orleans was a shithole BEFORE Katrina, and is still one afterwards. Fun place to party, however.

TheMatrix31
09-19-2011, 06:37 PM
I LOATHE Saints fans.

One Saints fan I know wished for the Falcons players to get hurt last night.

Classless, generally unintelligent pieces of trash. They're like the Red Sox and their fans. Taste a little success and become unbelievably unbearable. And yeah, the natural disaster was horrible and unspeakable, but I'm getting sick of them using it as a crutch for football related matters and discussion.

Norg
09-19-2011, 06:46 PM
Hes wrong me and my family is making the road trip to the New orleans GAME !!!!!!

I cant wait to go there decked out in my texans gear !!!!!!!!

BetaV1
09-19-2011, 06:59 PM
As a Texan fan in New Orleans, I whole heartedly disagree with this guy, particularly the claim of Houston being a "souless megacity." The reason why I am a Texan fan is because of Houston's variety and character.

When Katrina hit, my family and I stayed in Arkansas for a few days until we were able to find an apartment once it became clear that we weren't going home. We found a place in Houston and stayed there for two months. The people of Houston are without question the best in the nation. Your city is beautiful. Your town is the true poster child of southern hospitality. Arms were opened to us wherever we went. I could walk into any business there, show them my ID to confirm that I was a Katrina refugee, and I'd have a job that instant. The love struck me in a way that I'll never be able to describe. And I know that if Katrina happened to Houston, the sad truth is that New Orleans would not have been as kind.

I'm sorry about the dramatic rise in crime from the New Orleans folk and how it affected, then and now, your city. Houston didn't deserve that for the amazing compassion that you all showed.

I'm pretty sure there is a pretty avid Saints fan presence there too, as you guys seem to have let on from time to time. Everyone from New Orleans brought the Saints with them and you can't really fault them for that. But for what it's worth, if Katrina didn't happen, I wouldn't be a Texan fan. When the storm hit, sure, people had the Saints, but I never really cared for the Saints growing up. I was a Panther fan for my childhood and teen years. Most people were paying obvious attention to the Saints season opener that year against the Panthers. I was too, but since I was in Houston, I decided to check out the Texans. We only had one television and it was naturally a given that my family wanted the Saints game on, so I was huddled in a corner of our one bedroom apartment with a radio seeing what this Texan team was about.

And they sucked. But I kept listening. By the time they played the Bengals that year, I was thoroughly rooting for them.

My family and I eventually went back to New Orleans sometime around late October. I know a few people who stayed in Houston and Texas in general, and they naturally brought the Saints with them. I brought the Texans back with me. And it was primarily because of the people of Houston that was the reason. The people of Houston are classy, witty, friendly, and all around fantastic. Nothing like what I'm surrounded by here on a daily basis.

I haven't been back to Houston since Katrina, though I kept telling myself I'll make the trip again someday. I honestly do think I should've stayed in Houston. I opted to come back to New Orleans because of work and college, but I could have just as easily worked and studied in there. Oh well, hindsight and all that. Tearful rant over. Get it done, Houston.

Kimmy
09-19-2011, 07:06 PM
I haven't been back to Houston since Katrina, though I kept telling myself I'll make the trip again someday. I honestly do think I should've stayed in Houston. I opted to come back to New Orleans because of work and college, but I could have just as easily worked and studied in there. Oh well, hindsight and all that. Tearful rant over. Get it done, Houston.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rvNAaFT-VE&feature=related

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 07:09 PM
LOL. A buddy and me have a running joke about New Orleans. We say it's a great place to go party for a weekend, but as a city, it's a total shithole. We also notice that, whenever it is pointed out to New Orleans residents that their city has a) no infrastructure b) terrible schools c) an extremely high crime rate d) no fortune 500 companies, e) no jobs and f) corrupt politicians, all they can come back with is: "Well, at least we have good gumbo."

LOL.

New Orleans was a shithole BEFORE Katrina, and is still one afterwards. Fun place to party, however.

For the most part you're right. The fortune 500 company thing may need some clarification. Many oil companies have offices in NOLA, including Shell, Chevron, Exxon and everyone's favorite BP. There's quite a lot of money in New Orleans (also quite a lot of poverty & crime!)....anyway the allure of New Orleans is more cultural and historical (and alcoholical). It is by no stretch of the imagination a "modern" city, but you'd be hard pressed to find a place in the US wich can match the Big Easy for rich heritage and historical significance. I do however, share your sentiment. I'll go there for a few days to party, but after the third night I'm generally done with that place.

ETA: Also the guy who wrote the original article being referenced is a complete Douche. Every fan base has them. Houston is a great place. I've spent LOTS of time there for work and have many friends living there. New Orleans is a great place to visit, Houston is a great place to live, in my opinion anyway.

BigBull17
09-19-2011, 07:17 PM
I LOATHE Saints fans.

One Saints fan I know wished for the Falcons players to get hurt last night.

Classless, generally unintelligent pieces of trash. They're like the Red Sox and their fans. Taste a little success and become unbelievably unbearable. And yeah, the natural disaster was horrible and unspeakable, but I'm getting sick of them using it as a crutch for football related matters and discussion.

They went from 100% irrelevant to trendy pick. The NFL had to block their move cause of a hurricane. Now, they act like the elite franchises in pro sports. ****ing hate them.

texanfan2002114
09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
For the most part you're right. The fortune 500 company thing may need some clarification. Many oil companies have offices in NOLA, including Shell, Chevron, Exxon and everyone's favorite BP. There's quite a lot of money in New Orleans (also quite a lot of poverty & crime!)....anyway the allure of New Orleans is more cultural and historical (and alcoholical). It is by no stretch of the imagination a "modern" city, but you'd be hard pressed to find a place in the US wich can match the Big Easy for rich heritage and historical significance. I do however, share your sentiment. I'll go there for a few days to party, but after the third night I'm generally done with that place.

ETA: Also the guy who wrote the original article being referenced is a complete Douche. Every fan base has them. Houston is a great place. I've spent LOTS of time there for work and have many friends living there. New Orleans is a great place to visit, Houston is a great place to live, in my opinion anyway.

Just to clarify, having offices and being based in a location are 2 different things. Shell's corporate headquarters are in Houston, Exxon in Irving, TX, and Chevron in somewhere in California.

I think that's what the other guy was saying that NO doesn't have any Fortune 500 companies.

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Just to clarify, having offices and being based in a location are 2 different things. Shell's corporate headquarters are in Houston, Exxon in Irving, TX, and Chevron in somewhere in California.

I think that's what the other guy was saying that NO doesn't have any Fortune 500 companies.

Well, Shell really based in the Netherlands. Houston is the North American regional HQ.

I figured that's what he meant, but I just don't see the significance. As previously stated, there's LOTS of money and opportunity to be had in New Orleans.

Anyway...I'm not going to try to defend NOLA. I'm not from there and it really isn't a very pleasant place unless you're at least 4 beers deep. Even then only in certain areas. :thinking:

TheGoldenGreek
09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
http://media.twenty-somethingtravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/haters_gonna_hate.gif
HOU DAT!

heymak
09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
How soon they forget. 1999 'aints fanshttp://media.reporternews.com/media/img/photos/2010/02/06/20100206-204053-pic-39996350_t607.jpg

DocBar
09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
For some reason, that link hit my funny bone. It's hard to take a person seriously when he's spouting off all the great things about a city full of people who live in a bowl and are too dumb to get out of the way of a hurricane. Not exactly full of the best and brightest.

Texan_Bill
09-19-2011, 08:29 PM
This guy is AWESOME!!! He reminds me why I watch "Brain Candy" shows like Cops on occasion.. You know, you're having kind of a bad day so you turn the channel to Cops, you can see how ridiculously pathetic people are??? That's what this asshat does for me....

AWESOME!!! :thisbig:

houstonspartan
09-19-2011, 08:30 PM
Well, Shell really based in the Netherlands. Houston is the North American regional HQ.

I figured that's what he meant, but I just don't see the significance. As previously stated, there's LOTS of money and opportunity to be had in New Orleans.

Anyway...I'm not going to try to defend NOLA. I'm not from there and it really isn't a very pleasant place unless you're at least 4 beers deep. Even then only in certain areas. :thinking:

1) Yes, I meant that NOLA has zero fortune 500 companies. ZERO. Yes, that is VERY significant. Where's the corporate money that is crucial to community support and involvement?

2) Where is the "money" and "opportunity" to be had in New Orleans? Where?

Also, I guarantee you that, if Katrina had happened here, the many BILLIONARES that run this town would have had this city rebuilt in five seconds and the leavees rebuilt right after that.

TexanSam
09-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Not sure if a Saints fan should be proclaiming how great their fan base is. Before 2006 they were constantly one of the worst fan bases in the country. The only tradition New Orleans knows is losing.

houstonspartan
09-19-2011, 08:35 PM
They went from 100% irrelevant to trendy pick. The NFL had to block their move cause of a hurricane. Now, they act like the elite franchises in pro sports. ****ing hate them.

Oh, and that's another thing: Tom Benson was trying to move the Saints out of that CRAPHOLE behind their backs before the hurricane. Where was he trying to move it to? T-E-X-A-S.

Saints fans should shut their gumbo-filled pie holes and worry about looking for work.

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 09:29 PM
I've already registered and as soon as they let me through I'll sink this turd like Al Bundy's "Flushmaster 3000"

Talking points.

* If Houston is such a shitty sports town why is it they're able to support 3 major franchises comfortably with multiple sup-pro franchises?

*If Houston is such a crappy sports town, why are the Texans one of the most valuable franchises on the planet (amongst the top 10 most valuable franchises right there with the Yankees) despite only have 1 winning season and no playoff appearances.

and most importantly

* WHY THE HELL is this guy talking any kind of smack when NOLA..

A.) has no Major league baseball team? (because they can't viably support one)

B.) have no secondary pro sports like the MLS? (again...because his town can't support them and it isn't a viable option)

and last, but not least

C.) They can't even viably support the teams they have now. Damn...SA tried to snipe the Saints from them during Katrina...and the freaking Hornets LMAO :lol: They are a lock to be on the move in the near future. (which would be the second time they lost the NBA.)

Hell their own "SUPERSTAR" Chris Pual wants out because he sees the writing on the wall. There are only a few cities who can talk crap about Houston for their "fan support" and NOLA might be the worst example of one. They (not Houston) are one of the worst sports cities in this country..they can't even support the teams they have now. :laughjump: let alone add any extra teams that would allow them to remotely compare themselves to this city. (You are minor league NOLA, don't try to step up to us..)

This sky mike is a freaking clown, he doesn't even know what the hell he's talking about. :) It wasn't even that long ago when Benson was talking about moving the Saints.

Hervoyel
09-19-2011, 09:37 PM
That's why I don't spend much time talking to the locals when I go to other teams boards. I'm particularly unimpressed with the Saints fans who are like the "Instant Breakfast" of NFL fans. For decades they were shit-on-a-stick watching their team find new ways to suck and hiding their faces. All of sudden they have their savior and miracle season and they've retconned their history and belong in the same sentence as Packers fans or Steelers fans? Please.

I'm happy they finally won and are respectable. I don't think they have a leg to stand on in judging other cities fans though. They pretty much invented the paper bag mask in the NFL and went from fans you hoped would one day see a winner to fans who challenge Cowboys fans for most obnoxious in existence in just one season.

I hope we get the chance to experience a season like their Super Bowl run in my lifetime. I also hope we don't become that big a bunch of douches in the process.

gwallaia
09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
All I want to know is how much of that New Orleans trash still lives in Houston and when are they going back?

DocBar
09-19-2011, 09:45 PM
All I want to know is how much of that New Orleans trash still lives in Houston and when are they going back?Most of them will probably go back when their probation is over. :fingergun:

The Cush
09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
LOL...the OP wants to keep the smack talk sport"S" related. Funny that he adds the "s" when they have only 1

OzzO
09-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Meh, I stopped giving a flip after reading Its sad to see a city that used to have the most rabid fans outside of New Orleans and Green Bay (in the Oiler days) become drab and sterile.

Saints fans were rabid back then? Really?

How 'bout the Utah Jazz?

For the team that drafted a decoy running back..... thanks.

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 09:59 PM
That's why I don't spend much time talking to the locals when I go to other teams boards. I'm particularly unimpressed with the Saints fans who are like the "Instant Breakfast" of NFL fans. For decades they were shit-on-a-stick watching their team find new ways to suck and hiding their faces. All of sudden they have their savior and miracle season and they've retconned their history and belong in the same sentence as Packers fans or Steelers fans? Please.

The true Saints fans absolutely remember our less than proud history. Anyone acting like the Saints are now one of the storied legendary franchises is more than likely a fan of the team from no earlier than 2006. Ask such a person to name the previous two QBs before Brees and watch the blank stare (it's Aaron Brooks and Jeff Blake FYI). Such a "fan" is not a true Saints fan, and will thankfully not last very long.

All that being said, the Saints absolutely are an elite team as of 2011. Any suggestion to the contrary is ignorance. They've been to the playoffs 3 times since 2006, twice to the NFCCG, and won the superbowl. We've put in our time as a crap franchise, and we're enjoying our "golden age" while we have it, which will be so long as we have Sean Payton + Drew Brees. Yes that includes a bit of gloating, shit talking, and mocking of other teams. If the Texans ever win the big one, rest assured the same thing will happen with your fans. Count on it.

The whole NOLA vs Houston thing is stupid. Houston is a much better city, NOLA is at best a nice place to visit for a few days. The author of that article is a world class moron. End of discussion.

ETA: oh and I'd probably cool it with the whole "team almost got moved" talk. As I recall the Titans used to have a different name, anyone care to remind me of it?

gwallaia
09-19-2011, 10:03 PM
I'll let someone else tell you the Bud story Rusty.

IlliniJen
09-19-2011, 10:16 PM
I love two middling sports-fan towns talking smack to one another. Houston will love the Texans when they win, just as NO loved the Saints when they got to a SB.

There are far too many transplants and Cowgirls fans in Houston that don't give a second thought to the Texans. Just as the fair-weather Astros and Rockets fans come out for a winner, the people who may watch a Texans game if its on in the background will start to care when we reach the playoffs.

Sorry if this offends the sensibilities of anyone, but growing up in Chicago for 22 years and then coming down here, there is a definite difference in the sports fanaticism here in Houston. If I could kick all the "I'll care when they win" people out, I would. Houston deserves more fans for its sports team than it has. But even I'm guilty of it...I'll never be an Astros fan. I'm Cubs fan, born and bred; I almost disowned my dad when he said he was "happy" the White Sox won the WS.

It's hard for transplants like me to form strong ties to teams you have no connection to, especially when you have loyalties to your old city/region. The Texans were a clean slate for me, a way to bind myself to Houston without competing directly against the Bears. I'm surprised there's not a stronger fan-base for the Texans since they were a new team than anyone could latch on to.

RazorOye
09-19-2011, 10:21 PM
To any of you Texans fans taking that guy seriously should do yourself a favor and stop.

He was booted off of Saintsreport pretty much for being a whiny *********, iirc. He doesn't have that strong a reputation among the Saints fans over there - so don't take his post as being reflective of Saints fans in general.

In fact, more than one person referred to him as "CryMike"

Every fanbase has their share of myopic loudmouths.

I lived in Houston for 5 years. There are Texans fans that fit that description, too.

I'd prefer to have sensible football discussion and keeping shit like this out of the conversation.

Taking this single post, from this poster, and extrapolating it to an entire fanbase and even further - to indict entire cities - is absurd.

There's plenty to get worked up over... but that thread ain't it.

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 10:22 PM
edit

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 10:24 PM
ETA: oh and I'd probably cool it with the whole "team almost got moved" talk. As I recall the Titans used to have a different name, anyone care to remind me of it?

:laughjump: I'm going to go ahead and spare you further embarrassment buddy. Before you tie yourself to that argument..you might want to go do some research on why that team was moved. IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH ATTENDANCE OR SUPPORT. If you need some reading material, I believe there was actually a book that was written on the matter.

That was a straight pissing contest between a owner who constantly bluffed his way into stadium improvements (improvements that this city is still PAYING for regardless if the old stadium is now condemned) and then we finally had a major who called "said owner's" bluff.

:rolleyes: this is Texas, we didn't have ANY problem supporting a freaking FOOTBALL team until "said owner" announced he was moving. Seriously you're smarter than that aren't you? Again..this is TEXAS..do you really think we couldn't support a football team? :)

Then we got another team a short 6 years later and haven't looked back. (while supplying some of the best "fan support" in the league...and now the world)

So you might need to find another tree to bark up before you pick that one, because frankly that dog doesn't hunt and just shows your ignorance with the Oilers and the entire situation here. (Much like "lucy in the sky with diamonds" Mike)

badboy
09-19-2011, 10:27 PM
sshh! Be vewy, vewy, qwiet. i think I saw a wascally wabbitt. huhhhhuhhuh. signed Elmer Fudd aka this Saint's fan. I think someone took his brown paper bag with the eye holes cut in them.

Playoffs
09-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Love it or leave it, d!ckhead.

CryMike. http://www.oldfashionedfamilies.com/forums/images/smilies/smilie_girl_239.gif

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 10:41 PM
:listening: Sounds like a lot of left over butthurt. Your team got moved. Ours didn't. I could give two shits why that happened. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Apparently there was something Bud didn't like about the paradise of Houston :rolleyes:

RazorOye
09-19-2011, 10:50 PM
:listening: Sounds like a lot of left over butthurt. Your team got moved. Ours didn't. I could give two shits why that happened. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Apparently there was something Bud didn't like about the paradise of Houston :rolleyes:

dude.... seriously?

There isn't a single Saints fan I've ever known who would pull the "your team moved" card considering the rampant paranoia and anxiety for true fans in the wake of Katrina - when the Saints moving was a real possibility.

I still remember how petrified I was that the Saints would move, wondering if I'd ever be able to watch the NFL again. And if I did, who would I root for? The [insert new city here] Saints? Find another team? Wait for a return of the NFL to New Orleans that would likely never happen?

I can't fathom throwing that in another team's/city's face.

Not even the Falcons.

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 10:54 PM
I can't fathom throwing that in another team's/city's face.

Go back and read the whole thread. I was responding to their tossing it around in the haphazard manner you describe.

Believe me, I am among those who lost plenty of sleep over the Saints almost becoming "Los Santos". It wasn't funny and it was a cheap shot to bring that up.

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Think about it for a second. This is Houston's 10th season with the Texans and in 10 seasons, Houston has sold out every single seat in the house. Despite only having one winning season (9-7) and never reaching the playoffs. There are not too many fan bases who can make that claim...can y'all make that claim?

I think we're pretty loyal fans.

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Think about it for a second. This is Houston's 10th season and in 10 seasons, Houston has sold out every single seat in the house. Despite only having one winning season (9-7) and never reaching the playoffs. There is not too many fan bases who can make that claim...can y'all make that claim> I think we're pretty loyal fans.

I have no doubt about Texans fans being loyal to their team. But when you bring into question the loyalty of the Saints fans, you can expect to get called on it if I'm around. The Saints were futility incarnate for 3 times as long as the Texans have existed, and still the fans showed up....albiet with bags sometimes. Just goes to show, we love our team, even if we're not always proud of them.

ThaJokaa
09-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Dear Saints fans, The SB yall won was giving to you by the NFL and #18 PM. God knows how much money he was given to throw the game away at the end throwing an INT to Wayne when Austin Collie was WIDE OPEN in the back field. The NFL gave yall the SB because the story was TOO juicy/sweet to be let go.

1. A City's hope being returned by an NFL team winning the SB right after Hurricane Katrina, on their 1st visit to the SB.
2. Peyton Manning losing to his hometown in the SB

badboy
09-19-2011, 11:07 PM
:listening: Sounds like a lot of left over butthurt. Your team got moved. Ours didn't. I could give two shits why that happened. Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Apparently there was something Bud didn't like about the paradise of Houston :rolleyes:You must be pretty glad Hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans and the contemplated move by your owner was shelved.

TexanPulse
09-19-2011, 11:09 PM
HOLY CRAP?! Since when did they get the internet in the country of Louisiana?!

I know they have I-12 to bypass that toilet bowl but maybe swamp people would be cool to check out.

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 11:16 PM
You must be pretty glad Hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans and the contemplated move by your owner was shelved.

ID10T. You speak of "class", then make asinine statements like that. Too bad your other team got moved only to beat down the franchise that took its place with swiss-watch like regularity. Can you smell the irony?

what's with the PG-13 language filter?

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 11:24 PM
I have no doubt about Texans fans being loyal to their team. But when you bring into question the loyalty of the Saints fans, you can expect to get called on it if I'm around. The Saints were futility incarnate for 3 times as long as the Texans have existed, and still the fans showed up....albiet with bags sometimes. Just goes to show, we love our team, even if we're not always proud of them.

LOL, what are you talking about? It was your ilk who started this. Also everything I said about your city was the truth. :) The Hornets have NO support and I'm pretty sure the Saints can't make the same claim to consecutive sellouts as we can. I'm not the one who started this stupid debate...I'm just presenting facts

Someone at your board talked out of his "rear end" and said a bunch of crap that isn't true and then just because we point out how wrong he is, given NOLA's current sports situation, it's our fault that you get offended? You need to take that up with "Lucy"....at least tell him to not call out a city who has better fan support that the city he roots for.

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 11:34 PM
LOL, what are you talking about? It was your ilk who started this. Also everything I said about your city was the truth. :) The Hornets have NO support and I'm pretty sure the Saints can't make the same claim to consecutive sellouts as we can. I'm not the one who started this stupid debate...I'm just presenting facts

Someone at your board talked out of his "rear end" and said a bunch of crap that isn't true and then just because we point out how wrong he is, given NOLA's current sports situation, it's our fault that you get offended? You need to take that up with "Lucy"....at least tell him to not call out a city who has better fan support that the city he roots for.

1) it's not my city
2) I don't give two craps about the Hornets. They can move to Idaho for all I care
3) I don't have a board, but I post on Tigerdroppings. Either way I have done nothing but admonish what that ass hat said.

I am not the least bit offended by anything you say about him other than lumping all Saints fans in with him...It is true stupidity to take the idiotic rants of one person and attribute that stupidity to an entire fanbase.

As far as Houston having "better" fan support...that's a straw man argument. Houston is about 16x as big as New Orleans. As a pure numbers game, NOLA will never "win" that contest. Not possible. On the other hand, I could just as unfairly point out that the Saints have had fans for longer than the Texans have existed. It's a stupid point.

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 11:43 PM
1) it's not my city
2) I don't give two craps about the Hornets. They can move to Idaho for all I care
3) I don't have a board, but I post on Tigerdroppings. Either way I have done nothing but admonish what that ass hat said.

I am not the least bit offended by anything you say about him other than lumping all Saints fans in with him...It is true stupidity to take the idiotic rants of one person and attribute that stupidity to an entire fanbase.

As far as Houston having "better" fan support...that's a straw man argument. Houston is about 16x as big as New Orleans. As a pure numbers game, NOLA will never "win" that contest. Not possible. On the other hand, I could just as unfairly point out that the Saints have had fans for longer than the Texans have existed. It's a stupid point.

Then why are you here?

Also spare me the "your city is bigger" argument...we've been through that with Jag fans. Yes we have a bigger city, but there's also more options/teams to spend you entertainment dollars on....and if your city can't support those team, then don't have them and don't hate on us, because we can.

"Sky Mike" is a idiot who probably relocated here around 2005 and it's obvious he doesn't have a clue about this city. :) Did he really call this a "soccer town :) LMAO.

TexansForTheW
09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
Dear Saints fans, The SB yall won was giving to you by the NFL and #18 PM. God knows how much money he was given to throw the game away at the end throwing an INT to Wayne when Austin Collie was WIDE OPEN in the back field. The NFL gave yall the SB because the story was TOO juicy/sweet to be let go.

1. A City's hope being returned by an NFL team winning the SB right after Hurricane Katrina, on their 1st visit to the SB.
2. Peyton Manning losing to his hometown in the SB

I really hope that was SARCASM!

If not:kubepalm:

DocBar
09-19-2011, 11:53 PM

ETA: Also the guy who wrote the original article being referenced is a complete Douche. Every fan base has them. Houston is a great place. I've spent LOTS of time there for work and have many friends living there. New Orleans is a great place to visit, Houston is a great place to live, in my opinion anyway.Welcome to the boards, Rusty. You've made some good points.

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Then why are you here?

Also spare me the "your city is bigger" argument...we've been through that is Jag fans. Yes we have a bigger city, but there's also more options/teams to spend you entertainment dollars on....and if your city can't support those team, then don't have them and don't hate on us, because we can.

I'm here checkin out the banter on the competition's board. duh.

Come to think of it, it was someone from here doing the same thing which lead to this thread.

At no time did I ever "hate" on Houston. I like Houston. I practically lived there most of last year. The point about having a bigger city is 100% valid. You can "support" a team with only a fraction of the population in comparison to smaller markets. Not hate, just fact. My only issue in the whole thread was it was stupid to lump all Saints fans in with the douche in the OP.

MEGA SWATT
09-19-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh, and that's another thing: Tom Benson was trying to move the Saints out of that CRAPHOLE behind their backs before the hurricane. Where was he trying to move it to? T-E-X-A-S.

Saints fans should shut their gumbo-filled pie holes and worry about looking for work.

Amen. That Aint's fan talking shiiiiiiit about our stadium is like a guy driving a 1980 Pontiac Sunbird talking shiiiiiiiit about a Rolls Royce. Yeah, we got a lot of NO folks over here and unfortunately some the low lives came with them like roaches. We also have a lot of folks from all over and most brought their own teams with them..so what. However, Houston Texans have a great fan base and Houston and the suburbs provide great places to live, especially compared to NO.

I sure hope we kick their azz on Sunday.

Carr Bombed
09-20-2011, 12:07 AM
I'm here checkin out the banter on the competition's board. duh.

Come to think of it, it was someone from here doing the same thing which lead to this thread.

At no time did I ever "hate" on Houston. I like Houston. I practically lived there most of last year. The point about having a bigger city is 100% valid. You can "support" a team with only a fraction of the population in comparison to smaller markets. Not hate, just fact. My only issue in the whole thread was it was stupid to lump all Saints fans in with the douche in the OP.

:rolleyes: The "douche OP" lumped all Houstonians together. Also I never "lumped" all Saints fans together outside of mentioning attendance problems (which was factual BTW) I believe I directly referred to him as "sky mike"..."Lucy in the sky with diamonds Mike"...or simply "Lucy" (which is my favorite BTW)

Also when I said "why are you here". I was talking about "this thread". You already said you don't live in NOLA...you don't give a crap about the Hornets..and now you're calling the O.P. a "douche". So again...why are you so upset and why are you "here"? As in this thread. If you don't care either way or even about the Hornets, then why are you responding to this thread and taking up "Lucy's" fight or even bringing up the Oilers?

MEGA SWATT
09-20-2011, 12:13 AM
ID10T. You speak of "class", then make asinine statements like that. Too bad your other team got moved only to beat down the franchise that took its place with swiss-watch like regularity. Can you smell the irony?

what's with the PG-13 language filter?

Dude, he was speaking the truth. Benson was shopping the Aints, bro.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Benson
His popularity hit an all-time low in late 2005 after it appeared he was trying to move the team to San Antonio after Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans

:overreact:

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Ugh, Go back and read the thread from the beginning if you care so much. Engage your reading comprehension while you do it and you may find the answers to your questions have all been posted. I didn't bring up the Oilers until someone brought up Benson "almost" moving the Saints. Boy, what a bunch of sour grapes that was! I trust you'll have a full arsenal of excuses to throw at me if the Saints throttle the Texans like they did the Bears, so I'll be looking forward to that. For now though, it's past my bedtime.

michaelm
09-20-2011, 12:22 AM
I love two middling sports-fan towns talking smack to one another. Houston will love the Texans when they win, just as NO loved the Saints when they got to a SB.

There are far too many transplants and Cowgirls fans in Houston that don't give a second thought to the Texans. Just as the fair-weather Astros and Rockets fans come out for a winner, the people who may watch a Texans game if its on in the background will start to care when we reach the playoffs.

Sorry if this offends the sensibilities of anyone, but growing up in Chicago for 22 years and then coming down here, there is a definite difference in the sports fanaticism here in Houston. If I could kick all the "I'll care when they win" people out, I would. Houston deserves more fans for its sports team than it has. But even I'm guilty of it...I'll never be an Astros fan. I'm Cubs fan, born and bred; I almost disowned my dad when he said he was "happy" the White Sox won the WS.

It's hard for transplants like me to form strong ties to teams you have no connection to, especially when you have loyalties to your old city/region. The Texans were a clean slate for me, a way to bind myself to Houston without competing directly against the Bears. I'm surprised there's not a stronger fan-base for the Texans since they were a new team than anyone could latch on to.

I'm not going to say you're wrong about Houston sports fans in general, but it's debatable, IMO.
However, I think you picked the wrong place to make that generalization considering the fact that virtually every single member on this forum is unequicably the exact opposite of the fans you've just described.

MEGA SWATT
09-20-2011, 12:23 AM

What a weak sauce response:mariopalm:

That's the best you could come up with after getting your azz handed to you?

Joe Texan
09-20-2011, 12:42 AM

You forgot to add that your coocoo for coco pops crazy also

WesmanTexanfan
09-20-2011, 12:45 AM
http://blackandgold.com/saints/36521-houston-americas-most-pathetic-sports-city.html

Sad Sad man... He is so wrong on soo many points

man, this was depressing, im 24 and from inner houston and i love it here, UH student. The Food is great, the people are friendly, the diversity makes it intresting, and the sports team really are Ok. Im a Rockets first guy but make no mistake of my Texans fanhood.

The Saints fans are mostly bandwagon fans and dont know much about football, just that the saints are "the best", i dont know if we are going to win sunday but i do think saints fans are among the most ignorant fans in the NFL

houstonspartan
09-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Ugh, Go back and read the thread from the beginning if you care so much. Engage your reading comprehension while you do it and you may find the answers to your questions have all been posted. I didn't bring up the Oilers until someone brought up Benson "almost" moving the Saints. Boy, what a bunch of sour grapes that was! I trust you'll have a full arsenal of excuses to throw at me if the Saints throttle the Texans like they did the Bears, so I'll be looking forward to that. For now though, it's past my bedtime.

I'm the one who brought up Benson almost moving the Saints.

Yes, Bud Adams moved the Oilers. So? What's your point? Google will inform you that the reason Bud Adams moved the Oilers was because there was a lot of political fighting about a stadium. Bud got angry, and took his team and left. That had nothing to do with fan and financial support.

Google will also inform you that Tom Benson almost took the Saints to - drum roll, please - San Antonio, TEXAS - because New Orleans is a broke-ass city and he was losing money in a crappy building.

Fans in Houston still hate Bud Adams for what he did.

Tom Benson, meanwhile, tried to screw Saints fans, and it gets brushed under the rug. Benson doesn't give a crap about New Orleans. He kept the team there because he was under pressure to do so after Katrina to give the city an emotional rallying base. Nothing more, nothing less.

b0ng
09-20-2011, 01:48 AM
Meh

Scooter
09-20-2011, 02:02 AM
solid posts by rusty and razor. seems many of our own want to be like mike.

DocBar
09-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Bigass long article that bashes Houston as a city itself, written on a Saints board no less. Then some asshole Saints fan wants to come here and insults us with reading comprehension burns, are you serious. Go take your hand-holding-out ass back to black and gold or Saints Report your shit is tired and weak. Your team may be good but you're still a trolling ****hat.

And for the record last time we played you in the regular season we straight beat you down. Who dat my ass ripping off the ****ing Bengals.The Saints fan didn't start this crap. He was actually being pretty OK. TT members really started ripping on the guy and sounding like a bunch of Indy Fillies fans.

brad01
09-20-2011, 02:54 AM
I wasn't aware the Saints had any fans before Hurricane Katrina happened and it became fashionable. Weren't they in danger of moving to San Antonio or L.A. because no one was showing up?

Saints sold out all but one game from 2000 up until Katrina despite having an average at best team under Haslett. Just because the Saints weren't relevant, at least in the media's eyes, up until they made the NFC Championship game in 2006, doesn't mean they didn't have a solid fan base. This isn't Jacksonville or Tampa Bay we're talking about here. Saints fans show up win or lose and had proven to do so despite decades of consecutive losing seasons.

You must be pretty glad Hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans and the contemplated move by your owner was shelved.

The talk of the Saints moving was primarily media driven up until the Hurricane just because the Saints were a small market team with an old stadium. Those are typically the first teams that get thrown around when the media talks about "who's going to move to L.A.".

After Katrina, the Superdome was ruined and half the population had left the city, so the support for the team was in doubt. Only during the 2005 season was the talk of moving the team legitimate. But before the 2006 season even began, when everyone was predicting another 3-13 season for the Saints, the Saints sold out their entire season on season tickets alone.

Saints fans are easily one of the top 5 fan bases in the league and it's proven by the players that are no longer Saints but still play in the NFL. Just go look up what guys like Scott Fujita, Alex Brown, Jeremy Shockey, Reggie Bush, etc, have said about the fans after being released/traded/not wanted by the team anymore.

imatexan
09-20-2011, 03:37 AM
Saints fans talking smack is laughable, in fact anyone from the state of Louisiana talking smack is laughable.

Without a doubt one of the worst states to live in. Unfortunately I will be moving to NO soon :(

First off the reason the Saints receive so much fan support is because there is NOTHING else to do!!! It's either get drunk on Bourbon street or get drunk at home.

All New Orleans consists of is catering to tourists so the town does not completely go under financially and locals killing people.
Crime, bad weather, ignorant people,terrible schools and boredom come to mind when I think of living in New Orleans...I went and spent a week recently since I am moving and that is basically what I have to look forward to.

Of course you can't generalize an entire city, there are some great people in New Orleans and no question that they have greats fans(even if it is because there is nothing else to do).

They forget quickly that Houstonians welcomed them to our city and that 40+ years of sucking is not erased from one superbowl.

I do love NO food but even with that there is not much diversity, kind of like the city.

Patriotsmuse
09-20-2011, 04:26 AM
Hes wrong me and my family is making the road trip to the New orleans GAME !!!!!!

I cant wait to go there decked out in my texans gear !!!!!!!!

You and your family will have a great time here in the Big Easy!

Please stay on the beaten path as crime is a significant issue here . Truly , I mean this from my heart have fun but be alert.

Overall Saints fans and Nawlins folks welcome opposing team fans as it is great for commerce and well competition is fun

I am a dual fan. I love my Saints and Texans! On this particular day I will have to root for my Saints but all other Texans games I am in your corner.
May the best team on that day prevail , may it be a stellar sports event, and may you and yours have a blast and stay safe!

Patriotsmuse
09-20-2011, 04:29 AM

LOL.

I have lived here all my life. I could not agree with your post more!
The rationale for why is best left to the NSZ .

I am a huge Saints fan but I love the Texans too. I think the Texans may go all the way this year .

Patriotsmuse
09-20-2011, 04:40 AM
[QUOTE=SaintRusty;1779635]The true Saints fans absolutely remember our less than proud history. Anyone acting like the Saints are now one of the storied legendary franchises is more than likely a fan of the team from no earlier than 2006. Ask such a person to name the previous two QBs before Brees and watch the blank stare (it's Aaron Brooks and Jeff Blake FYI). Such a "fan" is not a true Saints fan, and will thankfully not last very long.

All that being said, the Saints absolutely are an elite team as of 2011. Any suggestion to the contrary is ignorance. They've been to the playoffs 3 times since 2006, twice to the NFCCG, and won the superbowl. We've put in our time as a crap franchise, and we're enjoying our "golden age" while we have it, which will be so long as we have Sean Payton + Drew Brees. Yes that includes a bit of gloating, shit talking, and mocking of other teams. If the Texans ever win the big one, rest assured the same thing will happen with your fans. Count on it.

The whole NOLA vs Houston thing is stupid. Houston is a much better city, NOLA is at best a nice place to visit for a few days. The author of that article is a world class moron. End of discussion.

ETA: oh and I'd probably cool it with the whole "team almost got moved" talk. As I recall the Titans used to have a different name, anyone care to remind me of it?[/QUOte

Absolutely we are Superbowl Champs!
Houston is far greater a city than what we now find ourselves mired in.
FBI just announced we have 10x the murder rate than national stats!
The poster does not represent a true Saints fan rather he is an instigator .
I know Texans have the potential to go all the way this year and I will be rooting for them just not when they plat the Saints .:thisbig:

Patriotsmuse
09-20-2011, 04:44 AM
1) Yes, I meant that NOLA has zero fortune 500 companies. ZERO. Yes, that is VERY significant. Where's the corporate money that is crucial to community support and involvement?

2) Where is the "money" and "opportunity" to be had in New Orleans? Where?

Also, I guarantee you that, if Katrina had happened here, the many BILLIONARES that run this town would have had this city rebuilt in five seconds and the leavees rebuilt right after that.

Entergy is fortune 500. So just one lol.
Shaw Group in Baton Rouge .
Century link in Monroe .

So we have 3 state wide and barely holding on to those .
Any intelligent person with money is heading out fast.

Air Canada
09-20-2011, 05:07 AM
What makes it worse... And I have no problem with us knocking some of the Saints fans and their city in return... Is that so many of them over there agreed with this "CryMike" character and or commended him on being so knowledgable about Houston and the Texans and the entire fanbase... :strangle: Ha... fools

DocBar
09-20-2011, 05:11 AM
Saints fans talking smack is laughable, in face anyone from the state of Louisiana talking smack is laughable.

Without a doubt one of the worst states to live in. Unfortunately I will be moving to NO soon :(

First off the reason the Saints receive so much fan support is because there is NOTHING else to do!!! It's either get drunk on Bourbon street or get drunk at home.

All New Orleans consists of is catering to tourists so the town does not completely go under financially and locals killing people.
Crime, bad weather, ignorant people,terrible schools and boredom come to mind when I think of living in New Orleans...I went and spent a week recently since I am moving and that is basically what I have to look forward to.

Of course you can't generalize an entire city, there are some great people in New Orleans and no question that they have greats fans(even if it is because there is nothing else to do).

They forget quickly that Houstonians welcomed them to our city and that 40+ years of sucking is not erased from one superbowl.

I do love NO food but even with that there is not much diversity, kind of like the city.You must not be a fisherman. The best fishing in America is southern Lousyana. I'd love to live in Grand Isle if it weren't so damned expensive.
New Orleans would be an awful place to live, though.

aussie_texan
09-20-2011, 06:12 AM
:texflag: GO TEXANS :spin:

DocBar
09-20-2011, 06:26 AM
What makes it worse... And I have no problem with us knocking some of the Saints fans and their city in return... Is that so many of them over there agreed with this "CryMike" character and or commended him on being so knowledgable about Houston and the Texans and the entire fanbase... :strangle: Ha... foolsHave we not done the same thing? Saint Rusty has posted in other threads. He made a simple reply to a barb about the Saints relocating by reminding us that our old team actually did that and has been castigated unmercifully for it. He wasn't even ugly about it. When he got called out, he replied in kind.

I'm all for standing up for our team, but this was excessive and embarassing. Some of our members are sounding just like CryMike. This is exactly the response Mike and I got on the colts forums. Let's quit the 1st grade insult game and talk some football. We have great football fans on this site with a lot X's and O's knowledge. Let's show it.

Scooter
09-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Have we not done the same thing? Saint Rusty has posted in other threads. He made a simple reply to a barb about the Saints relocating by reminding us that our old team actually did that and has been castigated unmercifully for it. He wasn't even ugly about it. When he got called out, he replied in kind.

I'm all for standing up for our team, but this was excessive and embarassing. Some of our members are sounding just like CryMike. This is exactly the response Mike and I got on the colts forums. Let's quit the 1st grade insult game and talk some football. We have great football fans on this site with a lot X's and O's knowledge. Let's show it.

must spread rep.

Thorn
09-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Sounds like Rome is burning and Nero's looking for a fiddle.

RazorOye
09-20-2011, 08:53 AM
for those of you still under the impression that the majority of Saints fans bag on Houston or the quality of your football team.... just gonna leave this here

http://i.imgur.com/vsxBU.jpg

Vinnie
09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
You must not be a fisherman. The best fishing in America is southern Lousyana. I'd love to live in Grand Isle if it weren't so damned expensive.
New Orleans would be an awful place to live, though.

Not to mention waterfowl hunting. I'll stick to fishing in Galveston and hunting in Anahuac though. They're much closer to Reliant stadium. :texflag:

El Tejano
09-20-2011, 09:16 AM
the last year the Oilers were in Houston, they went to play the Saint in N.O. and I traveled to that game. I had nose bleeds seats and was able to make it to the bottom level because noone was at their game.

Wait til they go Ofer again and let's see the comparison. I agree with him on the corporate fans but I can honestly say that the losing Texans teams still filled more seats than their losing Saints ever did.

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm the one who brought up Benson almost moving the Saints.

Yes, Bud Adams moved the Oilers. So? What's your point?

It's a classless thing to bring up. It's especially STUPID to do so, when you yourselves have had a team which moved away from Houston. I'm not getting into the mixed feelings people have for Benson. He almost left, but ultimately stayed. That's our deal, none of your concern. NOLA is far from broke, so again, sheer stupidity on your part. Finally, your infatuation with "TEXAS" (as you put it) is one of the most irritating things about trying to hold a conversation with some people from "TEXAS". They can't help but remind you of how great "TEXAS" is, ad nauseam...nevermind that it is (sadly) becoming the greater North-Mexico annex quicker than you can say taco! Hopefully your elected officials will be able to do something about it.

I was here trying to provide a more rational point of view from a Saints fan in lieu of the moronic rantings of the OP article. It seems that some people just don't want to hear that and instead would rather get up on their high horse about how great Houston is in comparison to New Orleans.This is a sports forum, and I certainly didn't expect to be the most popular guy on the board by taking up for the Saints and their fans, but some of the things you guys have posted are just downright classless...theres no other word for it. You should be ashamed.

b0ng
09-20-2011, 09:31 AM
It's a classless thing to bring up. It's especially STUPID to do so, when you yourselves have had a team which moved away from Houston. I'm not getting into the mixed feelings people have for Benson. He almost left, but ultimately stayed. That's our deal, none of your concern. NOLA is far from broke, so again, sheer stupidity on your part. Finally, your infatuation with "TEXAS" (as you put it) is one of the most irritating things about trying to hold a conversation with some people from "TEXAS". They can't help but remind you of how great "TEXAS" is, ad nauseam...nevermind that it is (sadly) becoming the greater North-Mexico annex quicker than you can say taco! Hopefully your elected officials will be able to do something about it.

I was here trying to provide a more rational point of view from a Saints fan in lieu of the moronic rantings of the OP article. It seems that some people just don't want to hear that and instead would rather get up on their high horse about how great Houston is in comparison to New Orleans.This is a sports forum, and I certainly didn't expect to be the most popular guy on the board by taking up for the Saints and their fans, but some of the things you guys have posted are just downright classless...theres no other word for it. You should be ashamed.

You would be better off starting your own thread with your own points rather than jumping into a thread where the original post is showing the worst of the Saints fans (as you are trying to state). Whoever wrote the original article is an *****, and you wouldn't want to associate yourself with that would you?

I imagine this thread will be used more to ***** about how stupid some of your bretheren fans can be. Unless you're trying to defend the guy who wrote that crap article.

gwallaia
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
I do have one serious question here.

What role is Mark Ingram supposed to play for the Saints this year?

jlam
09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Lmao. It only took one retarded post on a third rate message board for everyone to be given the excuse to drop the feigned cordiality and let loose with the "hell yeah mahn" hatred and stereotyping they'd been holding back like a fart at the dinner table.

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
I do have one serious question here.

What role is Mark Ingram supposed to play for the Saints this year?

Eureka! A football question.

Ingram was drafted because we were horribly thin at running back. The writing was on the wall for Bush and we needed to add some depth. If you recall, last year we were using Julius Jones and Ladell Betts...that was just painful to watch.

As far as his specific role, I believe he's supposed to be the "power" back. If you watch him make contact, he hits exceptionally hard. On his last run of the Bears game he was trucking over people like no ones business (then fumbled, doh!)....

He's a work in progress, but it is widely believed he will be the workhorse back of the franchise for a while, similar to Deuce McAllister.

IlliniJen
09-20-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm not going to say you're wrong about Houston sports fans in general, but it's debatable, IMO.
However, I think you picked the wrong place to make that generalization considering the fact that virtually every single member on this forum is unequicably the exact opposite of the fans you've just described.

I would think it's obvious that a generalization about Houston Texans fans does not apply to the people here. Anyone who takes the time to visit and participate here is all-in on the Texans.

But it would be a folly to suggest that Houston in general is a great sports town. It's not. It COULD be a great football town, but I think many people are just waiting for a bandwagon to jump on. Hopefully this is that year. Playoffs or bust!

C Madd
09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I'm a bit confused about why everyone jumped on Rusty. He readily admitted Houston was a better city, stated that New Orleans was an elite team in the NFC and that the OP of the thread on the Saints forum was an *****. It's hard to argue with any of those points.

Rusty, I'll stay with the "actually talking football" trend. How you think Houston will do this year and how do you think they'll do in the upcoming game against the Saints?

Scooter
09-20-2011, 11:33 AM
I would think it's obvious that a generalization about Houston Texans fans does not apply to the people here. Anyone who takes the time to visit and participate here is all-in on the Texans.

But it would be a folly to suggest that Houston in general is a great sports town. It's not. It COULD be a great football town, but I think many people are just waiting for a bandwagon to jump on. Hopefully this is that year. Playoffs or bust!

unfortunately i cant disagree. many here have said as much in regards to the empty seats, late fills, company sloths, and those sitting on their hands whining about fan excitement interrupting their cup of tea.

the outrage over the oilers had time to die down and many went elsewhere, heck i went to the steelers because of the awesome brutality between us. in spite of the refs, the oilers and steelers games were epic in my selective memory and if i cant have one i'll have the other. despite our population and attendance, it's simply going to take time to rebuild that base - made almost futile by a decade of losing.

it's the same in each major sport. we're bad so fans are lethargic, which is what the douche in the OP is getting at. ask any guy you meet what his opinion is of yao retiring or wade phillips coming in or ed wade of the phillies and there will be no lack of passion in the response. left alone however, the subjects are left alone because there's simply nothing positive to report.

the OP douche is a trendy saints fan in that regard - in mine and most folks' opinion the worst current fan in football (sorry eagles and 'girls fans). something new happened and he's clinging to the bandwagon while taking pot shots against a team on the low, though as objective as possible, the teams are moving in opposite directions. i think we'll meet in the middle a couple of seasons, but the saints crap out when brees goes, while the texans have more years from schaub and with kubiak coaching are likely to find an even better replacement.

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm a bit confused about why everyone jumped on Rusty. He readily admitted Houston was a better city, stated that New Orleans was an elite team in the NFC and that the OP of the thread on the Saints forum was an *****. It's hard to argue with any of those points.

Rusty, I'll stay with the "actually talking football" trend. How you think Houston will do this year and how do you think they'll do in the upcoming game against the Saints?

It's hard to say at this point. They're off to a good start, but against

A) a gimpy Colts team

B) an "offensively challenged" Miami team

...but 2-0 is 2-0.

In my (biased) opinion the Saints will win this one, but regardless that game is going to tell you a lot about this team. If it's a close one, then no need to fret. The Saints are exceptionally tough to beat at home and they're one of the best in the NFC, regardless of location.

As I said in another thread, this game will let you know if the defense is for real. Hold em under 28 and you guys are going places. Even still, this is likely the best offense you will face all season, so take the outcome with a grain of salt.

I can't see any reason why the Texans don't make the playoffs this year. No worse than 11-5, but if you can pull it out against the Saints, Steelers, or Ravens then maybe more like 12-4 or even 13-3. Admittedly that's optimistic, but hey you gotta have faith right?

Texan_Bill
09-20-2011, 11:43 AM

Thank you for admitting that the reason Houston is perceived as a bad sports town is because of the number of yankees that are here (Sorry to Yankee - Ryan, because he is a great Texans fan) errrr transplants . Those of us raised here tend to be very passionate about ALL of our teams.

jlam
09-20-2011, 11:46 AM
By the way, as a little fyi for those drawing conclusions about an entire region and fanbase from the OP, he is from Texas, has lived in Houston for over 20 years, and spent the majority of his life as an Oilers fan. Never lived in/around New Orleans.

Just so you know.

Texanmike02
09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
NO is going to rag on Houston? Seriously? Lets not talk about the "Aints". Prior to 2006 there were only two things more embarassing than Saints fans. Parents that riot at Little League games and Lions fans (Casper?). Its funny that a Saints fan would dog Houston for any reason at all, especially AFTER Katrina. That said, lets look at this post.

Start with the Astros, who's GM, Ed Wade, I suspect still works for the Phillies. When you watch an Astros game, you're watching tomorrow's superstars. Unfortunately, Ed Wade will trade them to the Phillies, as soon as they hit their greatness.

This is funny. Thanks for being our minorleague affiliate for so long. Of course you did get to see a lot of our talent come up through NO, you know with your Zeyphers.

They have a great minor league hockey club, the Aeros. The Aeros went all the way to the Finals, and a city of 4 million people cannot manage to fill a 12,000 seat venue. Those outstanding young men deserve better.

We're in houston. We don't care about hockey.

The best sporting event in Houston is a Rodeo. Im not knocking Rodeo, which is the greatest sport you know nothing about, with outstanding people involved. It fills a huge void in Houston that left with the Oilers.

Not quite true. Ever actually been to a Texans game? Try the tailgating. Look for fans with bags on your fans. Won't find many, if any.

But I feel sorry for the Texans players, because Houston is a souless megacity now, where everyone is from somewhere else, and no one's heart is invested. You're only here because of your work. Their fans need a box of Cialis, because the passion is just not there.

Its sad to see a city that used to have the most rabid fans outside of New Orleans and Green Bay (in the Oiler days) become drab and sterile. Everyone in their stadium is a "client," not a fan. You know our fans live and die with the Saints. Their fans are only there because someone gave them tickets at the office, and there wasnt anything else to do. Reliant is the most corporate stadium you'll ever see. It is a complete souless morgue... dark, and sterile, and devoid of any character. Sit there one week, and come sit in our Terrace another week, and you wont believe youre watching the same sport. The main reason I hate Reliant Stadium is because its not the Astrodome. Anyone who could just abandon the Astrodome could probably push their grandma off a cliff too, when she gets old.

But Reliant Stadium sucks on its own merits. Its the dumbest looking piece of ugly I've ever seen. ... with a stupid corporate name.

Know why the Saints don't have a corporate name? Nobody wants their name attached to that Stadium. We all know your team is gone in the next 10 years. Your fans live and die with the Saints? You can barely keep them. When the saints finally move it will be a few decades before you get a team back in NO.

You can live in Houston and be completely unaware there is an NFL team here. 80% of the people here are soccer fans. You dont see Texans stuff anywhere. Matt Schaub can probably shop in any store, or eat at
any restaurant any time, and not even be bothered. Compare that with New Orleans, where even our linemen are celebrities. The minute you pass LaPlace, its Saints stuff here, Saints stuff there... billboards, flags, bumper stickers, jerseys, Saints talk on the radio--- and it was like that
before we ever won a thing. Their "fans" dont even wear colors half the time. Even our women are dressed head to toe Black and Gold. Our women can name linemen. Their men have to ask who they play this week.

This just isn't true. In fact I drive 4 hours to go to half of our home games. I'm in the stepchild of NO (shreveport) and I make the drive down to Reliant every chance I get.

Their sports talk here in Houston is the biggest nerd - fest you'll ever hear. Every caller sounds like he's broadcasting live from his mama's basement, quoting statistics and contracts, and salary caps... Compare that to the average nutcase calling Bobby Hebert-- who speaks his own language, and Cajonics. You go from Poindexter in the Houston suburbs
asking a statistical question to a lady on WWL yesterday who calls in yelling, "Its on like a pot of chitlins." Comparing Houston radio sports to New Orleans sports radio is like comparing crawfish etouffe to a piece of white bread. They bore me to death. You can love Bobby or not, just like you loved Buddy D or not, but you feel something.

This is funny. You don't like the fact that we're an educated fan base? Sorry. We're all talking about "numbers and stuff". Is that too complex for you? You're all over us for being an apathetic fan base... and somehow you dog us for being educated. Obviously you are not.

I dont even like the Texans tired drab blackblue outfits that look like 16 other blackblue NFL teams uniforms.

Tell me. Is this about the fans? The teams? The stadium? The Uniforms? Next you're going to hate on the color of the studs on their shoes. Come on man, you're reaching.

They dont have a WhoDat, or a ChaChing, or a Bearded Nun, or guys walking around in dresses, or dudes with pope hats, or voodoo guys, or moses, or announcers named Hokie, or jazz bands in the stands, or paper airplanes, or a Terrace filled with wild people, or flask smuggling, or smoke in the bathroom, or the "Land of the Free and the Home of the SAINTS!", or the lady selling pralines on LaSalle St, or glittery umbrellas, or slippery ramps, or Jerry Romig calling "First down Saints on the faaarty," and nobody bangs the wall. If somebody in Houston honks at somebody else after the game, its a road rage incident. (We're pumping our fists at each other and yelling WhoDat!)

Again, you just haven't been around. Oh, and I've got news for you. WhoDat was a joke around the rest of the country until 2006. Who Dat gonna wear dem bags? You had a nice little winning streak the last few years and suddenly you guys are fanbase of the country? I'm not buying it. Luv Ya Blu? You're probably too young to remember that.

The Superdome is the worst food in town, and it still has jambalaya and crawfish pies. What does Reliant have, besides seats in another zip code?

Have you BEEN to reliant? There's not a bad seat in the house. Ever tailgated with us? That's right. Our tailgating experience is recognized as one of the best in the country. Now based on your little rant about our radio, I know you're not going to like "references" and "rankings" because they involve numbers.... but here you go

“At one of your hometown games, just do appetizers, and then take the camera and walk around,” he says. “Go see other people. Go see other food. There could be someone you haven’t seen in years just two rows over, but if you don’t leave your tailgate you’ll never find them. Just walk around one game a year and you’ll come away with enough great food ideas for the rest of your life as a fan.”

The top five:

1. Reliant Stadium, Houston, Texas: Slideshow
2. Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Kan.: Slideshow
3. Ralph Wilson Stadium, Buffalo, N.Y.: Slideshow
4. Lambeau Field, Green Bay, Wis.: Slideshow
5. Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, Pa.: Slideshow

There is no way any sane person who remembers the Oilers and the whole Astrodome experience could love the Texans. Its not even the same game anymore.

I know Andre Johnson is a super cool guy-- very nice, supremely talented. 99 of 100 Houston residents, (there are no more Houstonians) would not recognize him on the street. But Pastorini, Earl, and Bum can still fill a house and sell tickets. Hell, they still sell sausage and everything else. Its all about passion, and the Texans are the Wyatts Cafeteria of sports franchises.

The Texans players are probably very nice guys, who are winners in life, and great men. I hope their families are healthy and happy. I just cant get into them as a football team.

Chances are, you're a Saints fan, and your dad was a Saints fan, and I wouldnt be surprised to see a Fleur de Lis on your headstone. I know you wouldnt be surprised to see one on mine.

Their fans wont show up in New Orleans this week, unless one of their vendors leaves tickets at the office, and even then, Ashley (or Julio) probably has soccer practice, so they can't come.

The rest of this is just a rant. The only sports tradition you guys have is that of Bags on your head. We had the oilers ripped from our hands by an owner that was an ass. Lets be honest if it had not been for Katrina Benson would have left the city. He couldn't take the heat the rest of the country applied and the PR nightmare that it would have been if he left when Katrina rolled through.

I know a lot of Saints fans. I know most of them are much classier than yourself. In fact, you're an embarassment to your fanbase. Have a good day and pray we have no injuries this week.

Mike

Somebody had to set the record straight over there. The normally polite and respectful Mike had to take a back seat. That fake ass mike on that board is obviously still drunk from the C-ship they won. I'm never offended when we talk about football but to come at my whole city? From N.O? Hell no.

Mike

Texanmike02
09-20-2011, 11:55 AM
It's hard to say at this point. They're off to a good start, but against

A) a gimpy Colts team

B) an "offensively challenged" Miami team

...but 2-0 is 2-0.

In my (biased) opinion the Saints will win this one, but regardless that game is going to tell you a lot about this team. If it's a close one, then no need to fret. The Saints are exceptionally tough to beat at home and they're one of the best in the NFC, regardless of location.

As I said in another thread, this game will let you know if the defense is for real. Hold em under 28 and you guys are going places. Even still, this is likely the best offense you will face all season, so take the outcome with a grain of salt.

I can't see any reason why the Texans don't make the playoffs this year. No worse than 11-5, but if you can pull it out against the Saints, Steelers, or Ravens then maybe more like 12-4 or even 13-3. Admittedly that's optimistic, but hey you gotta have faith right?

This might be a matchup of the two most balanced offenses in the league. We might be the best offense that you see all year too.

Mike

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Somebody had to set the record straight over there. The normally polite and respectful Mike had to take a back seat. That fake ass mike on that board is obviously still drunk from the C-ship they won. I'm never offended when we talk about football but to come at my whole city? From N.O? Hell no.

Mike

OK, at the risk of provoking the hornets nest again....all that outstanding tailgating you're referring to...wasn't it banned a little while back, or something to that effect? I remember hearing about it on the radio while I was there. Something about thousands of people with no tickets taking up all the space instead of people who do have tickets?

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
This might be a matchup of the two most balanced offenses in the league. We might be the best offense that you see all year too.

Mike

Meh, I'd put Green Bay above both of us, but yeah our defense will need to step up for sure.

RazorOye
09-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Somebody had to set the record straight over there. The normally polite and respectful Mike had to take a back seat.

congratulations?

you out-mike'd that mike - considering who he is, I'm not sure that's really a badge of honor, imo

I'm not so sure that you "set the record straight" so much as you pretty much did the same thing to him that you're so pissed he did in the first place

Texanmike02
09-20-2011, 11:59 AM
OK, at the risk of provoking the hornets nest again....all that outstanding tailgating you're referring to...wasn't it banned a little while back, or something to that effect? I remember hearing about it on the radio while I was there. Something about thousands of people with no tickets taking up all the space instead of people who do have tickets?

That was much overhyped. Yes its calmed down and you can't just show up without a ticket (or a tailgating ticket) and in a lot of ways its a little better now. Great food, great talk and you don't have to wade through 30k people that won't be in the stadium to boot.

Mike

Blake
09-20-2011, 12:01 PM
I am very surprised that some ignoramus can talk shit and get people so riled up.

Texanmike02
09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
congratulations?

you out-mike'd that mike - considering who he is, I'm not sure that's really a badge of honor, imo

I'm not so sure that you "set the record straight" so much as you pretty much did the same thing to him that you're so pissed he did in the first place

I'm not normally a fan of that either. You know me, I hate engaging in that kind of argument. But what the hell is attacking the "soul of a city". Of course I'll go in and talk football, I'd much rather have seen a "here's our team here's your team strengths and weaknesses". Also, this is in their smackshack section of the forum. I didn't realize that until after I responded. I have now taken part in what ammounts to sophmoric debate. I am shamed... meh... everyone has a bad day every once in a while right?

mike

RazorOye
09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm not normally a fan of that either.

Oh, I know - but trust me, this dude (and whatever he posts) really isn't worth your time or aggravation.

To use some hyperbolic parlance, he's a forum terrorist.

Responding in kind only means that the forum terrorists are winning.

TheCD
09-20-2011, 12:07 PM
Saints sold out all but one game from 2000 up until Katrina despite having an average at best team under Haslett. Just because the Saints weren't relevant, at least in the media's eyes, up until they made the NFC Championship game in 2006, doesn't mean they didn't have a solid fan base. This isn't Jacksonville or Tampa Bay we're talking about here. Saints fans show up win or lose and had proven to do so despite decades of consecutive losing seasons.

I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong. I was given that impression by the media, and I can remember hearing about how no one was showing up to games. I really think the argument should be turned towards actual attendance rather than tickets sold though, that would be more indicative.

Green Bay is a city of 100,000, and according to reports have a maximum capacity of 72928 and I'd say they're doing better than any team in the league in terms of fan attendance. That's a good 73% of their entire population to fill that stadium. I think that pretty much throws the population argument out the window.

Texanmike02
09-20-2011, 12:08 PM
Oh, I know - but trust me, this dude (and whatever he posts) really isn't worth your time or aggravation.

To use some hyperbolic parlance, he's a forum terrorist.

Responding in kind only means that the forum terrorists are winning.

Well I did put a listing of rankings in there. While he looks up the meaning of "5" we'll be safe from any more of his posting. That might take a week or two so the rest of us can talk about football without him. Consider that a public service? LOL. OK OK. I'll stop the trash talk. I just want a good game with no injuries. I don't know that either team learns much from this game TBH. Both teams need to face a power team (steelers/ravens) to learn anything if you ask me.

Mike

Texan_Bill
09-20-2011, 12:13 PM

Mike

Hey Mike, if you're in Shreveport, I have a few friends there that are die-hard Texans fans. I could get you hooked up with them.

Lemme know if you want to get hooked up?

ObsiWan
09-20-2011, 12:15 PM
I thought this was a football talk forum; when did it devolve into a "my city can beat up your city" forum??
:fingergun:

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Green Bay is a city of 100,000, and according to reports have a maximum capacity of 72928 and I'd say they're doing better than any team in the league in terms of fan attendance. That's a good 73% of their entire population to fill that stadium. I think that pretty much throws the population argument out the window.

I think you'd agree that Green Bay is kind of special, heck the town owns the team...but yes, I don't think anyone can touch them as far as fan base as a percentage of population.

BUT, in no way does that throw away the point I made about population. Again it's not hate or spite, it's just a fact. The more people you have in a given area the smaller percentage of them you need to have as fans in order to be economically viable. Good example: New York. 2 Pro football teams and what 2 or 3 baseball teams (I really have no idea)? That has less to do with the dedication of the fan base and more to do with NY being by far the most populace city in the country.

Texanmike02
09-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Hey Mike, if you're in Shreveport, I have a few friends there that are die-hard Texans fans. I could get you hooked up with them.

Lemme know if you want to get hooked up?

Yeah dude. I'm at barksdale. We watch the away game at my house every weekend but I'd love to develop a watch party. PM me pls.

Mike

XI CMURDER IX
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Look at it this way, if there argument is that Houston is crappy. You can just tell them the closer you get to Louisiana the more miserable things get. Which, no matter which way you approach it from. It's usually right!

Texan_Bill
09-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah dude. I'm at barksdale. We watch the away game at my house every weekend but I'd love to develop a watch party. PM me pls.

Mike

You got it.