PDA

View Full Version : Media Bias

OrdinaryAvgGuy
09-19-2011, 04:56 PM
So you know how we always complain about the media bias against Houston (and towards their East Coast darlings, plus, in the case of the NFL, Peyton Manning's Colts)? Read this and watch your jaw drop.

10. If human growth hormone or some other performance-enhancing drug would help Peyton Manning’s nerves regenerate and heal his neck, would you be against the NFL’s top player using it/them?

Think about it.

I’m just talking hypothetically. I don’t have any reason to believe HGH or any other steroid would help Manning’s recovery. But who knows, maybe they would? If so, would you be outraged if he used them to save his career, save his season?

Let me tell you who wouldn’t be outraged: 1. Colts fans; 2. Peyton Manning; 3. Jim Irsay; Jim Caldwell; 4. FOX, CBS, ESPN and NBC executives; 5. Manning’s teammates.

I could go on. The list is endless and probably extends to the commissioner’s office.

I bring this up to illustrate the lack of sophistication in the debate about performance-enhancing drugs and professional athletics. The debate lacks nuance and maturity right now.

In its quest to stop Barry Bonds from eclipsing Babe Ruth as baseball’s most celebrated slugger — it was never really about Hank Aaron’s home run record — the sports media demonized performance-enhancing drugs and made it impossible for America to have a legitimate discussion about them.

We’ve acted like there is no gray area when it comes to PEDs. We’ve acted like the only kind of athlete who would stoop so low as to use them is a man or woman with no integrity. It’s just not true.

The culture of sports pretty much dictates that athletes use PEDs. There’s too much money in the games for PEDs not to be embraced.

Colts owner Jim Irsay just gave Manning a $90 million contract. You think Irsay wouldn’t look the other way if PEDs would help Manning? How about Jim Caldwell? He’s going to lose his job without Manning. The city of Indianapolis just paid for a sweet, new domed stadium that will be difficult to fill on NFL Sundays without Manning.

The entire Colts franchise could collapse without Manning.

This weekend my colleague Jay Glazer reported that Manning flew to Europe for stem-cell surgery in an attempt to avoid a third neck surgery. The procedure reportedly did not work. But at least Manning was able to try it. Suppose you’re not an NFL superstar with the means to travel overseas for a new form of stem-cell surgery and you have the same injury as Manning. Would a journeyman NFL player be wrong for trying PEDs in desperation to avoid a third surgery?

It’s not all that difficult to understand why athletes use PEDs. They want to compete at the highest level. They want to offset the pain of competition and injuries.

I don’t know what the solution is, but I do believe the demonization of PEDs should stop. We need to understand them and try to figure out the best way to use them safely and responsibly.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Week-2-NFL-Truths-Peyton-Manning-injury-performance-enhancing-drugs-issue-091911

In case you missed it, he IS, in fact, suggesting that, because it could help Peyton Manning's return, we should reexamine our stance on PEDs.

c10x
09-19-2011, 05:38 PM
That doesn't bother me. We should reconsider our stance on PED's, and it has nothing to do with Peyton Manning. The reason we should re-examine them is because:

1. They exist.
2. They work.
3. Every athlete, or aspiring athlete in the world has gigantic incentive to use them ($$$)
4. Some drugs are not able to be tested for, and therefore makes their use rampant already.
5. It would level the playing field.
6. In reasonable dosages, used smartly, they are not dangerous.

Joe Texan
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
use it and enjoy the same thing Brian Cushing enjoyed period.

it is funny there has not been one sighting of the Texans on BSPN. Last week they did a top ten big plays and of course there were no Texans Highlights but the big suprise was that a pass from Kerry Collins to Reggie Wayne did make it. it was a garbage time TD but is made a top ten catch for BSPN go figure.

The1ApplePie
09-19-2011, 05:54 PM
As annoying as it is, ESPN is a national media outlet that caters to the biggest markets in the land. Dallas gets love because of their nationa/international fan base. Yankees have this too.

It sucks but its business.

ObsiWan
09-19-2011, 06:06 PM
Would P.Manning use them if they would hasten his comeback?

Just as readily as he hopped a plane to Europe to undergo stem cell treatments (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2011/09/19/peyton-mannings-stem-cell-hail-mary/) which are not yet legal in the United States, not just frowned upon by the sports establishment.

(and, come to think of it, why hasn't anyone asked why Peyton's head is so big... I mean, it's at least as big as Barry Bonds'.... just sayin')

hradhak
09-19-2011, 06:12 PM
use it and enjoy the same thing Brian Cushing enjoyed period.

it is funny there has not been one sighting of the Texans on BSPN. Last week they did a top ten big plays and of course there were no Texans Highlights but the big suprise was that a pass from Kerry Collins to Reggie Wayne did make it. it was a garbage time TD but is made a top ten catch for BSPN go figure.

Yeah I was pissed that Jacoby's punt return didn't make it on instead. What are ya gonna do.

I think the only way the Texans start getting love from the media is to get several years of going into the playoffs / winning. Indy is a small media market, but they've been consistently good for several years now and that's why they get the love.