PDA

View Full Version : Matt Schaub getting challenged on 610am

Kimmy
09-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Matt did his weekly Monday morning call in show on 610 am, and, the callers were really giving it to him about connecting, etc.

Matt was pretty cocky in his responses and then we got a lesson on how to call in off the break.

Sometimes I hate that 610 is the "Team can do no wrong" flagship station.

No podcast is up yet, maybe someone can post as soon as it does?

nero THE zero
09-19-2011, 09:13 AM
I heard it.

Those two callers were idiots. They deserved the caustic response they got.

Schaub played a good game yesterday. Not only was he mistake free, his offensive line did him absolutely no favors. There's really no basis for calling in and asking him if something is "wrong" with him or why his passes are "late."

False Start
09-19-2011, 09:13 AM
I heard that too, the callers were making good points. Schaub acted like they had no idea what they were talking about. Then Lopez, and Vandermeer gave that lame ass lecture about not being a prick, the callers couldn't have been any more polite in the way they asked the questions, that was pretty lame.

Kimmy
09-19-2011, 09:19 AM
The callers were borderline homers, but the points they were trying to get across were valid.

It's just on 610, they can do no wrong, except for Josh .. who gets on my nerves, too lol

Section516
09-19-2011, 09:22 AM
610 - The cesspool of radio. Scaub was 21 of 29. For 207. 7.9 YPA. 2 TD. no Int. Hit a double covered AJ in the only spot he could, right through AJs hand. Hit Casey for 28 yards that was called back by Winston's hold. Got sacked 3 times, pressured more. He played a GOOD, SOLID game. Not great.

We rushed 38 times.

Played the game as the offense was called. Made plays when needed, the other ten people didn't execute.

nero THE zero
09-19-2011, 09:25 AM
The callers were borderline homers, but the points they were trying to get across were valid.

It's just on 610, they can do no wrong, except for Josh .. who gets on my nerves, too lol

I'm no 610 apologist by any means, but come on, those calls are terribly awkward. They let the first guy go on for too long IMO.

You have a player who played a good game - no turnovers, a couple of TD passes (and one more that should have been) - and you have a caller asking him if something is "wrong" with him. WTF. That's just awkward.

The second guy didn't really have a point. So, I think that's why he got cut-off early.

Like I said, if you wanna call up after the Ravens' game last year and critique Schaub's interception, go for it. But there was really no grounds for it after his performance yesterday.

Kimmy
09-19-2011, 09:31 AM
True, the callers were not screened enough. My point was more the "caller etiquette' comments that came after form Lopez.

It was a lot like last year during the Kubiak show in the midst of the losing streak. Rich Lord "educated" the callers ahead of time. Basically saying if you were gonna call in and b!tch, you'd be cut off

Cjeremy635
09-19-2011, 09:31 AM
I caught part of it and I thought some of the calls were dumb.

"Why are we not opening up the offense and throwing for 800 yards a game in a shootout?" Seriously? Why would you want to? They brought up the Washington game last year as an example. We HAD to throw the ball that much because we were behind. It makes no sense to do that if the game doesn't warrant that type of play calling. We were ahead and able to pound the ball to eat up the clock. It may not be pretty, but it wins games. Last year, you guys would have been happy with a game like that. The "W" is all that matters to me and that's all that matters as the season goes on and you're trying to lock up a playoff spot. I'll take that type of game every week if it ends in a win.

DX-TEX
09-19-2011, 09:46 AM
Fantasy Football is killing this game.

Sorry, but it IS true.

Seņor Stan
09-19-2011, 09:51 AM

Sorry, but it IS true.

That and Madden...there are some seriously unrealistic expectations out there.

euro-Texan
09-19-2011, 09:57 AM
fantasy football is killing this game.

Sorry, but it is true.

repped!

disaacks3
09-19-2011, 10:02 AM
True, the callers were not screened enough. My point was more the "caller etiquette' comments that came after form Lopez.

It was a lot like last year during the Kubiak show in the midst of the losing streak. Rich Lord "educated" the callers ahead of time. Basically saying if you were gonna call in and b!tch, you'd be cut off

Me too, while those two callers came across more than a little awkwardly, the 610 "lesson" that came later was hogwash.

Lopez -"We ask the tough questions!" - B.S. Tell yourself what you need to John, but you guys ask nothing but softballs and you ought to be aware of it.

Pantherstang84
09-19-2011, 10:03 AM

Sorry, but it IS true.

repped again.

infantrycak
09-19-2011, 10:05 AM
Matt Schaub leads the league, let me repeat that LEADS THE LEAGUE, in completion percentage right now. Bitching about his accuracy is more than a little stupid at this point.

GP
09-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Well, we'll never get to a point where fans and players (or coaches, for that matter) can talk openly and honestly about the details that fans want to know about. Schaub did pretty freaking well, IMO, so he was justified in his "WTH?" attitude.

Maybe when a guy is retired you'll get some information out of him. But as a current player (or coach) those guys are not going to reveal anything nor be as honest about things as fans want from them.

At the end of the day, (1) Players and coaches cannot divulge information to fans, and (2) Players and coaches are involved in ENTERTAINMENT...and you call in and critique their "performance" on the stage, then you're going to get flamed for it.

All this adds up to what I think is a fruitless effort to listen or follow these types of "Call-in" shows with players/coaches. No point in it. Waste of time.

BigBull17
09-19-2011, 10:09 AM
He is not the perfect QB, but god dammit I remember the guy before him. And Sage. Schaub is not a weakness of this team, but a strength. I'll ***** about a nose tackle before I ***** about Matt. Also, how do these people know what his reads are? I hate the psudo intellectual fan that says he's late or whatever, cause you don't know the exact play he is running. What you see may not be it.

Double Barrel
09-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Matt Schaub leads the league, let me repeat that LEADS THE LEAGUE, in completion percentage right now. Bitching about his accuracy is more than a little stupid at this point.

I agree completely.

I guess some people just need something to ***** about because...well...they are bitches. :overreact:

JamesBill
09-19-2011, 10:12 AM
Schaub acted OK. One time he got me made was a few years ago a similar situation went down during a 4 game losing streak and he actually said the phrase "fair weather fan". The TEXANS have never had fair weather.

ThaShark316
09-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Time to make a new sig. Thanks to this dumb **** of a fan base, I'll always have material.:ahhaha::hurrah:

TEXANRED
09-19-2011, 10:25 AM
610 - The cesspool of radio. Scaub was 21 of 29. For 207. 7.9 YPA. 2 TD. no Int. Hit a double covered AJ in the only spot he could, right through AJs hand. Hit Casey for 28 yards that was called back by Winston's hold. Got sacked 3 times, pressured more. He played a GOOD, SOLID game. Not great.

We rushed 38 times.

Played the game as the offense was called. Made plays when needed, the other ten people didn't execute.

He will need to do better if we expect to beat N.O.

Schaub is just an average QB. Nothing more.

If this team is going to get over the hump it will be using the legs of Tate and Foster not the arm of Schaub.

TimeKiller
09-19-2011, 10:26 AM
I think this is the result of poor sports journalism in Houston. WE are not the average fans. The average fan, to me, doesn't log on to a message board and seek out information on the team, players, coaches, strategies, etc. and how deep WE go.

The average fan gets his news from "The General", who is blatently USED by the Texans to get out whatever news they want. I can't imagine the Texans ever having an invasive media like ESPN up in their shit like the Patriots have. The Texans own their PR with an iron fist. But this is the cost. Stupid fans calling in and just complaining after being 2-0 and for the most part, dominating the opposition. Why? Because STUPID FANS think there is always something to complain about. Those of us more interested in the game, know we are doing well enough to ignore the fact that Schaub is "only" completing 70% of his passes in 2 victories.

Dutchrudder
09-19-2011, 10:27 AM
Matt went 21/29, for 230 yards 2 TDs and a 118.5 QB rating yesterday, you can't really ask for much more. My only problem with him were the few sacks he took. Somewhat blaming his Oline, somewhat blaming him for not throwing the ball away, but that's always been a problem with him. In a game against a better team it would have mattered.

dinkatoid
09-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I did not hear the broadcast, but as for Schaub's performance, I was pretty happy with it. No boneheaded throws, he felt the pressure well and took the sack when he had to. Like a few others said, there were a few big drops too. Overall though, he managed the game well, and as soon as we got back to running the ball, he took off again.

The thing that made me proud these last 2 games were the 2 deep balls to Andre. I know Johnson uncharacteristically dropped one (it is not even really fair to call it a drop, as only about 5 WR in this league are expected to catch that...), but these were right on target. Usually Schaub is a bit off on the deep ball. It hits its target, but you see often that Andre slows a bit to let it get to him and ends up getting hit right after. However, these 2 I remember have been right on target in stride to let him make a play.

2 TDs in 2 games are huge too for Andre. I have always felt we do not look for him enough in the redzone, so it is nice to see him get off to a good start.

infantrycak
09-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Somewhat blaming his Oline, somewhat blaming him for not throwing the ball away, but that's always been a problem with him.

Huh? - Schaub has always been very good (and selfless in not worrying about the stats) in throwing the ball away to avoid sacks.

BigBull17
09-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Matt went 21/29, for 230 yards 2 TDs and a 118.5 QB rating yesterday, you can't really ask for much more. My only problem with him were the few sacks he took. Somewhat blaming his Oline, somewhat blaming him for not throwing the ball away, but that's always been a problem with him. In a game against a better team it would have mattered.

He is good about getting rid of the ball, but sometimes you are dead at the snap. The time he just went down, there was nothing good that could have come out of that. Bad things happen when a QB tries to make magic when he can be served to just go down.

prostock101
09-19-2011, 10:44 AM

If this team is going to get over the hump it will be using the legs of Tate and Foster not the arm of Schaub.

I'm sorry but that is just a ridiculous statement. I won't count how many things are wrong with it.....oh, wait. All of it.....

ThaShark316
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
Finally got some neg rep...thanks Dutch. :ahhaha:

buddyboy
09-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Based on his performance yesterday? Or the past two years where he's been a league leader in passing?

Section516
09-19-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm sorry but that is just a ridiculous statement. I won't count how many things are wrong with it.....oh, wait. All of it.....

He IS an average QB..Cmon..Look, Brady scored 30 points for me this week, Stafford scored 23, cam freaking Newton scored 24! What the hell is this 17.4 performance?

Oh wait.. This is real football? He had a good game, would've been a even better minus a rare drop on a perfect throw, and a holding call?

:overreact:

ThaShark316
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
He IS an average QB..Cmon..Look, Brady scored 30 points for me this week, Stafford scored 23, cam freaking Newton scored 24! What the hell is this 17.4 performance?

Oh wait.. This is real football? He had a good game, would've been a even better minus a rare drop on a perfect throw, and a holding call?

:overreact:

Got em, coach!

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 11:03 AM
I've never seen a fan base cry so much. Especially the morons calling in, because we didn't win by 30 points on the road... or the jackass that just called in and bitched about how we didn't run the ball in at the end of the game, when the game was already decided. This has got to be one of the dumbest fan bases out there. :rolleyes:

First of all, this is the National Football League. Those guys that line up across from you, yeah..they get paid to make plays too. Scratching out wins is what this league is all about. Do those morons tune in to any other NFL games? There are a dozen other teams "winning ugly" every week. :strangle:

Marcus
09-19-2011, 11:04 AM

Sorry, but it IS true.

That and Madden...there are some seriously unrealistic expectations out there.

Repped again. Both of you.

Nothing pisses me off more than so-called fans being dumbed-down by all this fantasy football shit.

Playoffs
09-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Didn't hear it, but if one of the radio jocks didn't step in after the question and offer ^this stat he wasn't doing his job.

Vinny
09-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Two thoughts although I missed the segment...

not everyone who comments knows what they are looking at.

610 kisses the Texans virtual butt to obnoxious levels. I mean, you don't have to be hyper-critical, but propaganda is propaganda. It's almost insulting. I just can't listen to it sometimes and I'm a hard core football fan.

Section516
09-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Two thoughts although I missed the segment...

not everyone who comments knows what they are looking at.

610 kisses the Texans virtual butt to obnoxious levels. I mean, you don't have to be hyper-critical, but propaganda is propaganda. It's almost insulting. I just can't listen to it sometimes and I'm a hard core football fan.

Houston Media sucks period..Insulting to be such a large city with such crappy news/sports. Cept 790, minus the mighty annoying.

Ryan
09-19-2011, 11:12 AM

We rushed 38 times.

He was only sacked 3 times? Felt like 10.

eriadoc
09-19-2011, 11:21 AM
First and foremost: Matt Schaub has done fine this year. He hasn't put up 400+ yards passing each game, but he doesn't need to. Yesterday, he kept his mistakes down and brought home the WIN. And that is ALL that matters. Go take a look at Brady's stats from his first SB year. They weren't the flashy Brady stats we all know and expect now. The team often won by 3 points or similar. BUT THEY WON. That is all that matters.

Now that I've stated that, I'll follow up with a question about the general topic at hand (though not specific to yesterday, since I think the team is doing well):

Should the QB be immune to those types of questions? I mean, I agree that there should be a level of deference and respect in those types of questions, but should he be protected from them altogether? There's a difference between calling and asking "Hey, WTH is wrong with you?" and calling and asking something like, "Hi, thanks for taking my call. I'm just curious why the offense seems out of sync in the red zone so far this season?"

If you're the QB and you sign up for one of these shows, you should expect to have to answer tough questions (in tough times, not after a 2-0 start!), but those questions should be posed respectfully, of course. And if you do get asked a few of those type questions after a 2-0 start, I think it's incumbent upon you as a professional QB to answer patiently and try to dispel any notions of trouble. The term "face of the franchise" exists for a reason. You're not only the QB, you're the head public relations guy. You're the guy that gets hyper-analyzed for everything you say and do, all the way from saying the fans need to STFU and support the team to dating one supermodel after another. It goes with the territory. That's part of why you get paid more.

Atl Cav
09-19-2011, 11:24 AM

You, Sir, have no knowledge of the game, and no understanding of the relative values of the personnel. Say all you want in this forum, but no one will take you seriously. You are wasting space on here.

Honoring Earl 34
09-19-2011, 11:31 AM
1. Was this the VY crowd ... nuff said .

2. Matt doesn't have a pretty game except when he's in the pocket passing . He's Bernie Kozar and Ann Coulter's love child .

3. I don't want my QB running to much except in the playoffs if we need a 1st down .

4. Leave Matt Schaub alone . He's thrown for 9000 yards the last two years and is not a problem . Are we that dumb of a fanbase to think we can ***** after a 2 and 0 start ? This is not the norm and instead of relishing our wins , we gripe about Schaub .

I know guys who bring this up often and they are the VY jock huggers . They still feel left at the alter and their 3 top targets are Mario , Kubiak , and Schaub . Mario because he should have been VY . Kubiak cause an Aggie didn't take VY . Schaub cause he's playing VY's position .

TEXANRED
09-19-2011, 11:39 AM

You have your opinion and I have mine.

I didn't say he was a bad QB, just average.

I am not looking at his passing yards I am looking at his body of work.

Losing record in the division.

Losing record at home.

An Oh'fer in all prime time games last year.

His inability to hit AJ or anyone in stride.

But again, my opinion, let him prove me wrong.

Mr. White
09-19-2011, 12:07 PM
LMAO at all the fantasy football hate.

Ad hominem much?

HJam72
09-19-2011, 12:08 PM

Losing record at home.

Most of these statements fall under "it's a team game" and, in reality, are far more the fault of the defensive secondary (and DC) last year. As far as his "inability to hit AJ or anyone in stride" goes, it depends on how far he has to throw it. What we give up in arm strength, we get back 3-fold in situational awareness and seeing the whole field, etc. AJ gets a long way down field in a hurry. Sure, we could get somebody like VY to lead him with a strong arm once a game....and throw 5 picks in between 2 yd. dropped bullets that are supposed to be dump-offs. Rarely are the QBs with the strongest arms the best QBs, because they tend to have $^!+ for brains, just like how the best athletes in most sports (barring positions that require you to actually think).......are in freaking jail...

Your arguments are all right along the lines of, "He's not a good QB until he wins a Superbowl," and I have always found that argument moronic. I just hate that kind of simplistic thinking. I guess Foster sucked last year too. Maybe Vontae Leach was a *****? But, oh, no, the argument is that they don't matter because it's only the QB that matters. We might as well just be out there playing ourselves for free and let McNair spend the whole salary cap to bring in Brady....but, oh wait, Brady can't throw a 100 yd. pass! Hell, he sucks! Bring in that "mentally challenged" gentlemen from prison...

Doppelganger
09-19-2011, 12:11 PM

Sorry, but it IS true.

I would disagree. Fantasy football has made it better, not worse. For example, without FFB I don't care about the NE-SD game. I wouldn't watch it or pay attention to it. However, becuase I have Brady as my QB, I am suddenly very interested in the game. And it was a good game to see too.

FFB makes the NFL much better.

TEXANRED
09-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Most of these statements fall under "it's a team game" and, in reality, are far more the fault of the defensive secondary (and DC) last year. As far as his "inability to hit AJ or anyone in stride" goes, it depends on how far he has to throw it. What we give up in arm strength, we get back 3-fold in situational awareness and seeing the whole field, etc. AJ gets a long way down field in a hurry. Sure, we could get somebody like VY to lead him with a strong arm once a game....and throw 5 picks in between 2 yd. dropped bullets that are supposed to be dump-offs. Rarely are the QBs with the strongest arms the best QBs, because they tend to have $^!+ for brains, just like how the best athletes in most sports (barring positions that require you to actually think).......are in freaking jail...

Your arguments are all right along the lines of, "He's not a good QB until he wins a Superbowl," and I have always found that argument moronic. I just hate that kind of simplistic thinking. I guess Foster sucked last year too. Maybe Vontae Leach was a *****? But, oh, no, the argument is that they don't matter because it's only the QB that matters. We might as well just be out there playing ourselves for free and let McNair spend the whole salary cap to bring in Brady....but, oh wait, Brady can't throw a 100 yd. pass! Hell, he sucks! Bring in that "mentally challenged" gentlemen from prison...

All I said was he was average. My opinion and mine alone. (Not you) People are acting like I want to bench him, cut him, and set him on fire.

Nothing wrong with being average. AJ and Foster-Tate can make up for this.

He is just not the guy to put the team on his back and win the game.

prostock101
09-19-2011, 12:23 PM
Schaub is easily a top ten QB. If he was throwing behind the Pats OLine, he could rack up ridiculous yardage with our guys I assure you. I think Brady has enough time to retie his shoes before the throws......

Air Canada
09-19-2011, 12:34 PM

Losing record at home.

Really? Those sound like team accomplishments to me... So many tackles did Schaub miss and how many turnovers did he force for the defense? How about sacks? Did he not get enough of those? :overreact:

Big Lou
09-19-2011, 12:43 PM
What Schaub didn't put up 500+, 4 TD's, and a 118 passer rating!!!!

WTF, Rick call Carolina and see if they'll take Foster, AJ, Schaub, and Mario for Cam Newton!!!!

Do it, do it now, make it happen Rick!!!!

Double Barrel
09-19-2011, 12:45 PM
First mistake was even listening to 610 in the morning.

Second mistake was not listening to LZ on 790 in the morning.

Between the blatant homer-blinders worn by the hosts and all the goofy "guy talk" about movies, hair care products, and other irrelevant, non-sports subjects, I don't know why any football fan bothers with 610 in the morning.

TexanSam
09-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Sorry, but it IS true.

I agree. And I enjoy playing fantasy football, lol. But there's too many people out there who care more about the stats of individual players than their own team. I'm in 3 leagues but could care less if my teams all go winless as long as the Texans play well. It's just something fun to do as a fan but the Texans come first.

eriadoc
09-19-2011, 12:54 PM
I agree. And I enjoy playing fantasy football, lol. But there's too many people out there who care more about the stats of individual players than their own team. I'm in 3 leagues but could care less if my teams all go winless as long as the Texans play well. It's just something fun to do as a fan but the Texans come first.

So you're capable of making that distinction but no one else is?

Maybe the problem isn't with fantasy football, but with people not compartmentalizing.

Texan_Bill
09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
610?? 610?????? What the hell is a 610?

Air Canada
09-19-2011, 12:55 PM
What Schaub didn't put up 500+, 4 TD's, and a 118 passer rating!!!!

WTF, Rick call Carolina and see if they'll take Foster, AJ, Schaub, and Mario for Cam Newton!!!!

Do it, do it now, make it happen Rick!!!!

Wait.. scratch that... HE DID have a 118 passer rating!:fans:

Thorn
09-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Apparently it's a radio station some of us don't listen to. LOL

jtexas
09-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I thought they sounded more like comments than actual questions. Schaub couldn't really give a response to "i thought you played average and should have been more accurate".

Speedy
09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
I would disagree. Fantasy football has made it better, not worse. For example, without FFB I don't care about the NE-SD game. I wouldn't watch it or pay attention to it. However, becuase I have Brady as my QB, I am suddenly very interested in the game. And it was a good game to see too.

FFB makes the NFL much better.

But because of FF, people look at the games different. They think Tate should run it in with time running out and a 10 point lead instead of Schaub knealing. That's just not how football is played. Look at the uproar about Foster earlier when FF players were going ape-crazy about whether to take him #1 or not.

Or the Madden players who just want to crush their opponent 98-30 and get pissed when the Texans score 34 in a half and ONLY win 34-7.

I get it though, I play fantasy baseball and it does keep you interested in all teams when normally I wouldn't care at all about the Seattle Mariners. But I don't get so stupid about it when I have a pitcher pulled when I'm needing strikeouts. It's like people can't grasp the difference between fantasy and the real game.

beerlover
09-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Imagine the callers if the Texans had lost :overreact:

Fantasy Football is not killing the NFL its knuckleheads like these callers, there are just so many more in football because it's so popular & naturally people want a piece of the action :poker: Schaub is on my team along with other Texans & it doesn't affect my judgement or feelings what so ever. I just hope the Texans win, regardless & nobody gets hurt :specnatz:

nero THE zero
09-19-2011, 01:22 PM

Between the blatant homer-blinders worn by the hosts and all the goofy "guy talk" about movies, hair care products, and other irrelevant, non-sports subjects, I don't know why any football fan bothers with 610 in the morning.

FWIW, these calls occured while 790 (and 1560) were on break. I know this because the only time my dial ever gets turned to 610 is when I don't have any other options.

790 went on break, I switched to 1560, they were on break, so I switched to 610 and and lo' and behold I got to hear these two great calls.

eriadoc
09-19-2011, 01:28 PM
But because of FF, people look at the games different. They think Tate should run it in with time running out and a 10 point lead instead of Schaub knealing. That's just not how football is played. Look at the uproar about Foster earlier when FF players were going ape-crazy about whether to take him #1 or not.

Or the Madden players who just want to crush their opponent 98-30 and get pissed when the Texans score 34 in a half and ONLY win 34-7.

I get it though, I play fantasy baseball and it does keep you interested in all teams when normally I wouldn't care at all about the Seattle Mariners. But I don't get so stupid about it when I have a pitcher pulled when I'm needing strikeouts. It's like people can't grasp the difference between fantasy and the real game.

So as above, you can make this distinction but no one else can? Clearly, TexanSam is not alone!

FF isn't the problem. It just gives one more outlet for stupidity.

gtexan02
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Schaub is on pace for 3600 yards, 24 TDs, 16 INTs

He's 1st in the NFL in completion percentage (71%) and 9th in QB rating (over 100)

I think he's playing just fine

IDEXAN
09-19-2011, 01:30 PM

I thought LZ was on "The Game" with Granado ? When did they go over to the other station ?

Wolf6151
09-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I didn't hear the calls everyone is refering to, and the callers may have been out of line, but it does seem that 610 am is the homer station and they shouldn't lecture callers/listeners if their opinion differs from the party line. The notion that 610 am asks the tough questions is a joke, they polish knobs. They pass some good info. occaisionally but they're definetly monitarily driven homers.

Double Barrel
09-19-2011, 02:36 PM
I thought LZ was on "The Game" with Granado ? When did they go over to the other station ?

Here's a long thread about it: Zierlein leaving 1560! (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83937)

Norg
09-19-2011, 02:47 PM

i try to listen 1560 sometimes but everytime i turn it on there are no shows just news recaps

ill check out 790

drunkcookie
09-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Yah, 790 is for sure a station that lacks homerism... As for 610 this morning, I heard it, and though I can go without hosts lecturing on how to talk to players I agree with the cut-off etc... If you're going to critisize Swab for yesterday's performance, at least be constructive about it and make sense...

As for fantasy football killing this sport I'd really like to hear more on why people think that etc... I disagree with the assertion, but truely am interested in hearing why some may feel that way... maybe there's something I've missed...

GuerillaBlack
09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Or they think Kubiak should have called another Tate run to put an exclamation point at the end of that game, instead of playing mercy. Look at the Lions. Up 41-3 against Kansas City and it's 4th and 1 from the goaline. They still run it in with Best to win 48-3. I'd take that over being nice. Forget being nice, it's football. If they stop it, then they stop it and get that ball at their 1. Big deal.

Fantasy football has been good for the game. It has made me for interested in other players/teams at least, but the Texans still always come first. It's not like I have Tate on any of my teams, but I still would have liked to see them punch it in at the end.

Ole Miss Texan
09-19-2011, 03:26 PM
As for fantasy football killing this sport I'd really like to hear more on why people think that etc... I disagree with the assertion, but truely am interested in hearing why some may feel that way... maybe there's something I've missed...
Fans are more interested in "stats". Fans want to see the QBs throwing for 400 yard 4 TD games instead of 230 yards and 2 TDs. Schaub's game wasn't "sexy"... but it was extremely effective and he managed the game to a win. Fantasy fans want to see homerun balls thrown to AJ and OD. Instead, shorter passes spread out among our WRs, TEs and RBs can be more efficient. Move the chains, control the clock, tire out the defense, etc. Fantasy fans want us to go for it if its 4th and 5 when the "smart" play to win the game would be to punt the ball, pin the other team back towards their endzone and win the field position battle.

EDIT: I wouldn't say that FF or Madden necessarily "kills" the sport but it changes it from the fan perspective. Instead of "smart" football, we want to see highlights and action and tons of plays. FF has brought more fans into the sport to watch, which I think is great. Madden makes us all think we're armchair GMs and can just easily trade players or sign free agents. And that's not the case at all. FF/Madden simply leads to a lot of fans thinking they're smarter than the coaches and GMs.

gtexan02
09-19-2011, 03:29 PM
My fantasy league this year gives extra points if the team your player plays for wins. Its an interesting/novel idea to try and help people realize that kneeling down rather than going for an extra TD is beneficial

TheCD
09-19-2011, 03:31 PM
Fans are more interested in "stats". Fans want to see the QBs throwing for 400 yard 4 TD games instead of 230 yards and 2 TDs. Schaub's game wasn't "sexy"... but it was extremely effective and he managed the game to a win. Fantasy fans want to see homerun balls thrown to AJ and OD. Instead, shorter passes spread out among our WRs, TEs and RBs can be more efficient. Move the chains, control the clock, tire out the defense, etc. Fantasy fans want us to go for it if its 4th and 5 when the "smart" play to win the game would be to punt the ball, pin the other team back towards their endzone and win the field position battle as well.

I have no problems with short-medium passes as the staple of our passing game, but I sure would like to put the remaining doubters of AJs talent to rest by seeing him get 10+ TDs in a season. It still boggles my mind that he hasn't done that once...but is the all-time leader in reception yards per game.

fiasco west
09-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Or they think Kubiak should have called another Tate run to put an exclamation point at the end of that game, instead of playing mercy. Look at the Lions. Up 41-3 against Kansas City and it's 4th and 1 from the goaline. They still run it in with Best to win 48-3. I'd take that over being nice. Forget being nice, it's football. If they stop it, then they stop it and get that ball at their 1. Big deal.

Fantasy football has been good for the game. It has made me for interested in other players/teams at least, but the Texans still always come first. It's not like I have Tate on any of my teams, but I still would have liked to see them punch it in at the end.

How much of it is playing mercy and how much of it is "Lets get the hell out of here."

See I don't mind "V" formation at that time why? Because on any play something bad can happen. Tate can run over Meyer's leg and take him out for the season, the play could go all wrong and someone gets hurt, if even for a week then was that extra 7 points really worth it?

They did run right before that to get the first down which Tate was close enough to score but didn't. Ah well, lets take the W and get out of there.

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I didn't hear the calls everyone is refering to, and the callers may have been out of line, but it does seem that 610 am is the homer station and they shouldn't lecture callers/listeners if their opinion differs from the party line. The notion that 610 am asks the tough questions is a joke, they polish knobs. They pass some good info. occaisionally but they're definetly monitarily driven homers.

I have absolutely no problem with 610 sticking up for their "guests" when players/coaches are in studio. No radio host wants to be suck with a player/coach and have to field uncomfortable calls with them.. it's just uncomfortable for everybody and like I said. The players/coaches are guests and people don't want their guests disrespected.

My issue with that station is they CONTINUE to do it even after the players/coaches leave. They're completely in the tank with the Texans and it's almost like that station is just another division of Houston's P.R. department.

Double Barrel
09-19-2011, 03:38 PM
I think sports talk radio and internet forums do much more in elevating "dumb" takes than any influence of Madden or fantasy football.

If anything, Madden & FF actually educates people, as I posted in the other thread (Madden Football IQ Study At University Of Oregon (http://www.mkrob.com/madden-football-iq-study/)).

Forums and talk radio gives anyone/everyone the ability to speak their mind without a filter, so it seems like a lot of the more preposterous and unrealistic takes have a medium to broadcast that wasn't there a couple of decades ago.

Ole Miss Texan
09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
I have no problems with short-medium passes as the staple of our passing game, but I sure would like to put the remaining doubters of AJs talent to rest by seeing him get 10+ TDs in a season. It still boggles my mind that he hasn't done that once...but is the all-time leader in reception yards per game.
No joke! It's sad he hasn't gotten more TD receptions. I think that's the biggest reason why he wasn't considered the #1 WR in the game for quite a while. I'm glad pretty much the entire world realizes his greatness now, though. But I totally agree, we need to get him some TDs!! So far so good this season, but when we're in the red zone I hope we can create some mismatches because he's so big and physical he should be a GREAT redzone target.

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 03:48 PM

Question...

When the Lions ran the ball in with Best...were there only 26 seconds left on the clock? If not, then the two situations aren't remotely comparable.

Trying to score when there's still time left in the game is completely different then scoring with only a few seconds left in a game that's already decided.

Kneeling the ball at the 1 didn't have anything to do with any "mercy rule". It was "mission accomplished". The game is OVER.

It doesn't make a lick of sense to pound your players into the trenches with only 26 measly seconds on the clock. :rolleyes: Especially when your #1 back already has a gimp leg. Yeah, lets run the last good back we have into the line and risk injury to him and our lineman in a game that's already decided. Sorry, but it's ignorant..especially during week 2 of the season.

There was nothing wrong with what they did there and it was the right decision. This board would've tarred and feathered Kubiak if he had Tate run it in and someone on this team suffered a serious injury. The season is a marathon, there's no need for unnecessary punishment. The "V" formation has little to do with mercy or being "nice"...it's about protecting the health of your players when the game is essentially over and that's exactly what we did. I'll always side with the health of the players.

buddyboy
09-19-2011, 03:51 PM

I didn't say he was a bad QB, just average. If he's average, it should be easy for you to list 12 QBs that are better than him, without a doubt.

I am not looking at his passing yards I am looking at his body of work. I don't think you're looking at his body of work, because if you were, you'd see how much he has meant to this team the last couple of years.

Losing record in the division.You know who else has a losing record in the division? Andre Johnson. Arian Foster. They average too?

Losing record at home.^See above

An Oh'fer in all prime time games last year.^See above. You can't judge a player based on how the team is doing, otherwise Andre Johson would be known as that average receiver on that average Texans squad. Who cares about his stats or his ability? He hasn't done anything with it, right?

His inability to hit AJ or anyone in stride.Did you even watch yesterday's game? Two picture perfect passes to Andre (one that was dropped). You can't lead anyone any better than that. Love how the stigma is that he can't do it, and even when he does, it's "he can't". He can, but sometimes it doesn't happen.

Responses in red

thunderkyss
09-19-2011, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't blame FF for people being stupid. There are plenty of stupid people out there that don't play fantasy football. They call into radio shows & act like stupid people.

I didn't hear this segment, so I don't know if those guys were being stupid, or if they were asking legit questions.

ChampionTexan
09-19-2011, 04:06 PM

They didn't do it to be nice - they did it to be smart. Too many football fans are unfamiliar with that concept.

michaelm
09-19-2011, 04:15 PM

LZ is definitely the man to listen to when it comes to football in Houston, IMO, but I've actually changed the channel a few times because he (or 790) insists on ramming his silly character impressions down my throat.

LZ, if you're reading this, love your football work man, but the impressions have to go.
Sorry, I don't tune in to a sports radio station to hear third-rate impressions of cartoon characters...

steelbtexan
09-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Sorry, but it IS true.

Not really, it's bringing in a whole new group to the fanbase. You may not like them but they're a big reason the game is the most popular sport in this country. It stinks for purists like you and me. But Goodell is ruining the game for purists like us much more than people FF leagues.

michaelm
09-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Forums and talk radio gives anyone/everyone the ability to speak their mind without a filter, so it seems like a lot of the more preposterous and unrealistic takes have a medium to broadcast that wasn't there a couple of decades ago.

True dat, DB, but on an internet forum, there is usually someone there with some football knowledge who can show them the error of their ways.

TEXANRED
09-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Really? Those sound like team accomplishments to me... So many tackles did Schaub miss and how many turnovers did he force for the defense? How about sacks? Did he not get enough of those? :overreact:

Thats what makes Schaub average. Schaub goes as the team goes not the other way around.

Above average QB's can put the team on their back and will the team to win.

And you wanna talk about :overreact: Man. You are acting as though I am calling for Lienart to start. Jeez.

Above average QB's are guys like Rivers, and he is no Rivers. Even with the best wide receiver in the game he is no Rivers.

Kimmy
09-19-2011, 04:43 PM

I only listen to 610 at 8am (Matt Shaub show), 3:30 (Kubiak press conference) and 5:30 (Kubiak call in show) all on Mondays only.

Every other minute my radio is on Sirius NFL 88.

It was obvious the callers weren't from this board, they were stupid, no doubt! (I WISH our posters would call in to give more credit to callers)

The whole point of this thread was to call out 610; stop sucking on the Texans d!cks, call it like it is and don't lecture us on 'how to call in'.

I'm a GIRL and know more than these jerk offs at times ....

TEXANRED
09-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Responses in red

Better QB's, remember, it's just my opinion, that I would rate ahead of Schaub:

Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler
Tony Romo
Aaron Rodgers
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Drew Brees
Michael Vick
Ben Roethlisberger
Phillip Rivers

Debatable are guys like:

Matthew Stafford
Josh Freeman
Sam Bradford

Average QB's:
Schaub
Kolb
McCoy
Sanchez
Orton
Henney
Fitzpatrick
Cassel
Flacco
Grossman

infantrycak
09-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Thats what makes Schaub average. Schaub goes as the team goes not the other way around.

Where is the overstatement smilie? Lots of hall of fame QB's have been unable to carry a team single handed and have endured mediocre at best seasons. And what does willing the team to win even mean? Is it playoffs, playoffs wins or SB wins? What is sufficient will? Marino never got a SB win. Manning has one. Elway had to get a RB to get his. Rivers has none.

Really, he is no Rivers?

Rivers v. Schaub (with the Texans)
% completion: 63.9 v. 66.1
yards per game 236.9 v. 265.5
QB rating 96.9 v. 93.7

The gap isn't as wide as you are making it out to be. And please, yes Schaub has had AJ but Rivers has hardly been without receiving threats in LT, Jackson and Gates.

I can't believe anyone would put Orton and Schaub in the same category. Remind me of the last time Orton completed more than 60% of his passes or had a QB rating over 80? - oh yeah, easy answer - never.

prostock101
09-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Sorry, he is better than.....

Vick
Romo
Cutler

I'll give Ryan the edge because he's a tad more mobile.

So easy top ten.

The1ApplePie
09-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Sorry, he is better than.....

Vick
Romo
Cutler

I'll give Ryan the edge because he's a tad more mobile.

So easy top ten.

Vick, Romo, and Cutler may have higher ceilings than Schaub, but lower floors too.

Romo is one of the best in the NFL when he's hot.

When he's on a cold-streak however...:foottap: Its a goat ****

TEXANRED
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Where is the overstatement smilie? Lots of hall of fame QB's have been unable to carry a team single handed and have endured mediocre at best seasons. And what does willing the team to win even mean? Is it playoffs, playoffs wins or SB wins? What is sufficient will? Marino never got a SB win. Manning has one. Elway had to get a RB to get his. Rivers has none.

Really, he is no Rivers?

Rivers v. Schaub (with the Texans)
% completion: 63.9 v. 66.1
yards per game 236.9 v. 265.5
QB rating 96.9 v. 93.7

The gap isn't as wide as you are making it out to be. And please, yes Schaub has had AJ but Rivers has hardly been without receiving threats in LT, Jackson and Gates.

I can't believe anyone would put Orton and Schaub in the same category. Remind me of the last time Orton completed more than 60% of his passes or had a QB rating over 80? - oh yeah, easy answer - never.

Rivers has what Schaub doesn't, division titles, playoff games. I agree that the gap between the two is not that far, my opinion could change with in the next few weeks. Beat the Saints, beat the Steelers, beat the Ravens. Schaub goes in and leads his team to victory in those games, he could even go 2-1 in those games, and he breaks into the above average catagory. Pitch and Oh'fer? Well?

I hear ya on the Orton front but I just can't ignore Orton's W's and L's. And Orton does just enough to win a football game. Hence he is average. He is like a Mark Sanchez with out all the hype.

thunderkyss
09-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Better QB's, remember, it's just my opinion, that I would rate ahead of Schaub:

Matt Ryan
Jay Cutler
Tony Romo

Michael Vick
Ben Roethlisberger

Debatable are guys like:

Matthew Stafford
Josh Freeman
Sam Bradford

Average QB's:
Schaub

Orton
Henney
Fitzpatrick
Cassel

Grossman

I almost choked on my own saliva....

TEXANRED
09-19-2011, 05:50 PM
I almost choked on my own saliva....

Which part?

thunderkyss
09-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Which part?

The ten guys you have listed better than Schaub.... I left the names, that I don't think are even close.

Then the guys you have in the same tier as Schaub, I left the names that I think are ridiculous.

& I'm not a Schaub Homer, I know there are guys better.... but your list.... I don't think so.

hradhak
09-19-2011, 06:00 PM
I think the only thing Schaub is lacking in his resume is playoff wins. You put that in, he'll be in the top 10. He may not have the arm strength of some other QBs, but he makes good decisions and his game management has improved significantly since he started with us. You have to remember that he was on the bench in Atlanta before coming here and didn't see any signficant playing time until he got here.

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 06:05 PM
The "V" formation has little to do with mercy or being "nice"...it's about protecting the health of your players when the game is essentially over and that's exactly what we did. I'll always side with the health of the players.

If it helps I'll put a different perspective on this.

This is no different than the Rockets dribbling out the last seconds of a game after they secure the last rebound and they are up by double figures. Nobody in their right mind would call the Rockets (or any basketball team) soft or "nice guys" for doing so.

You don't see the Rockets calling a timeout or running a play when they're up by 10+ points, have possession of the ball, and there's only a few seconds left on the clock do you? The equivalent of letting Tate run there would be like a shooter just jacking up a last second meaningless shot.....except unlike basketball, the injury concerns in football are very much real and frankly not worth it.

So why should we criticize the Texans when they do the same thing? What the Texans did yesterday was the CORRECT move...especially with the current health and availability of Arian Foster.

GuerillaBlack
09-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Question...

When the Lions ran the ball in with Best...were there only 26 seconds left on the clock? If not, then the two situations aren't remotely comparable.

Trying to score when there's still time left in the game is completely different then scoring with only a few seconds left in a game that's already decided.

Kneeling the ball at the 1 didn't have anything to do with any "mercy rule". It was "mission accomplished". The game is OVER.

It doesn't make a lick of sense to pound your players into the trenches with only 26 measly seconds on the clock. :rolleyes: Especially when your #1 back already has a gimp leg. Yeah, lets run the last good back we have into the line and risk injury to him and our lineman in a game that's already decided. Sorry, but it's ignorant..especially during week 2 of the season.

There was nothing wrong with what they did there and it was the right decision. This board would've tarred and feathered Kubiak if he had Tate run it in and someone on this team suffered a serious injury. The season is a marathon, there's no need for unnecessary punishment. The "V" formation has little to do with mercy or being "nice"...it's about protecting the health of your players when the game is essentially over and that's exactly what we did. I'll always side with the health of the players.
It was 41-3 on fourth down and they ran it in. Time on the clock doesn't matter when the margin is that huge. They could have kicked a field goal, but went for the rd instead. That's what I would like the Texans to do that.

thunderkyss
09-19-2011, 06:22 PM
It was 41-3 on fourth down and they ran it in. Time on the clock doesn't matter when the margin is that huge. They could have kicked a field goal, but went for the rd instead. That's what I would like the Texans to do that.

I don't know. Maybe they were giving them a chance to stop them & take over where ever they were.. running out the clock & pinning them deep.

Regardless, If that's what you guys want from a team, then maybe you should just move on. That's not what Mcnair is about, that's not what Kubiak is about.

If there was still 5 minutes left in the game, no doubt we would have ran the ball in for the score... but when a knee ends the game..

What's the point?

ObsiWan
09-19-2011, 06:32 PM

It's an 6 to 8 lane concrete ribbon that encircles downtown Houston. I'm sure you've seen it. You can see Reliant Stadium from parts of it. From other parts you can see Minute Maid Park, the Toyota Center, and some shopping place I hear wimmin refer to as the Dia-ria or Galle-ria or some such thing...

...although it slips my mind as to why you'd want to see those places since they have nothing to do with football.
:hides:

Carr Bombed
09-19-2011, 06:42 PM

And how is that relevant to there being only 23 seconds left on the clock? Either way they have to make a conventional football play. Whether they decided to shoot for 6 or 3 points on the 1 yard line is irrelevant.

If you wanted to compare it to Houston though...when there were a couple of minutes left, Houston was still running the ball just like Detroit did in your scenario.

Next time Houston is on the one yard line with 2+ minutes left in the game and they decide to kneel the ball then I can see having this discussion. However with only a few seconds left I fail to see the comparison..sorry.

Big Lou
09-19-2011, 06:48 PM

And you wanna talk about :overreact: Man. You are acting as though I am calling for Lienart to start. Jeez.

Above average QB's are guys like Rivers, and he is no Rivers. Even with the best wide receiver in the game he is no Rivers.

MATT SCHAUB, he put da team on his back doe. That cr*cker playing wit a broken leg, how he runnin?

J/K

buddyboy
09-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Rivers has what Schaub doesn't, division titles, playoff games. I agree that the gap between the two is not that far, my opinion could change with in the next few weeks. Beat the Saints, beat the Steelers, beat the Ravens. Schaub goes in and leads his team to victory in those games, he could even go 2-1 in those games, and he breaks into the above average catagory. Pitch and Oh'fer? Well?

I hear ya on the Orton front but I just can't ignore Orton's W's and L's. And Orton does just enough to win a football game. Hence he is average. He is like a Mark Sanchez with out all the hype.

Trent Dilfer won a superbowl, does that make him a superior QB? W/L does not make a player average or great, it's ability. Like I said, we all know Andre is great, regardless of not being able to "carry the team on his back" to playoff wins

Kimmy
09-26-2011, 08:33 AM
And this morning (9/26), they didn't even let callers on. Wow.

steelbtexan
09-26-2011, 08:46 AM
Fitzpatrick is having a much better season than Schaub. That's not a slight of Schaub.

Fitzpatrick is my choice for MVP after the 1st 3 games of the season.

steelbtexan
09-26-2011, 08:50 AM
And this morning (9/26), they didn't even let callers on. Wow.

That's 610 for you.

BTW, a girl that can use the phrases jerk off and sucking Texans dicks in the same post is my kinda girl. Repped

4x4tx
09-26-2011, 09:17 AM
haha I cant stand listenting to 610 anymore after lopez joined the show. I cant stand that guy

False Start
09-26-2011, 09:31 AM
haha I cant stand listenting to 610 anymore after lopez joined the show. I cant stand that guy

AKA, The Giggler. :slap:

HTown2ATX
09-26-2011, 09:48 AM
AKA, The Giggler. :slap:

LMAO....he is the giggler haha. Honestly I like Lopez though for his comedic aspect...he makes me laugh if I'm being honest.

Was pretty lame they only let texters on this morning to ask ?'s but I was off work last Monday so I missed apparently the "bad" callers lol.

HTown2ATX
10-10-2011, 08:14 AM
I heard that too, the callers were making good points. Schaub acted like they had no idea what they were talking about. Then Lopez, and Vandermeer gave that lame ass lecture about not being a prick, the callers couldn't have been any more polite in the way they asked the questions, that was pretty lame.

I wish I had heard this myself, because I am listening to Schaub on his weekly call in now and once again, as expected, no callers allowed, only nice, safe, soft as a babys bottom texts. So, I wish I had heard just how "bad" this call was a few weeks ago that made everyone's pee pees shrink at 610 while Schaub is on the air.

:kubepalm:

My guess is that Vandy is spreading his protective mother hen wings over his Schaubie.

:clown:

grinch1134
10-10-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm not saying the calls after the NOLA game were bad and that this week's would be any better, but what good does it do. Does it let some chump feel good that he pulled one over on the Texans. If Schaub sucks, then there is nothing you can say to change that. If Schaub is slow, then there is nothing you can say to change that. If Schaub has a weak arm, you get my point.

We all saw the same game and if anyone is patting themselves on the back for a job well done then we should all pick some other past time.

Everybody wants their chance to tell someone off and it gets you nothing.

HTown2ATX
10-10-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't want to hear anyone tell him off....that gains nothing as you stated, however, IMO, after letting him take calls for so long to now only doing texts....pretty vaginal IMO.

:twocents:

Mr teX
10-10-2011, 08:33 AM
I'm not saying the calls after the NOLA game were bad and that this week's would be any better, but what good does it do. Does it let some chump feel good that he pulled one over on the Texans. If Schaub sucks, then there is nothing you can say to change that. If Schaub is slow, then there is nothing you can say to change that. If Schaub has a weak arm, you get my point.

We all saw the same game and if anyone is patting themselves on the back for a job well done then we should all pick some other past time.

Everybody wants their chance to tell someone off and it gets you nothing.

great post & rep your way.....the guy comes on the show to provide a forum to interact with fans about the game......not to get attacked by some shmuck who obviously doesn't konw anything about the game or to promote an agenda (VY nuthuggers)...If i'm not mistaken, he doesn't have to come on the radio at all, dude does that b/c he wants to.

HTown2ATX
10-10-2011, 08:41 AM
great post & rep your way.....the guy comes on the show to provide a forum to interact with fans about the game......not to get attacked by some shmuck who obviously doesn't konw anything about the game or to promote an agenda (VY nuthuggers)...If i'm not mistaken, he doesn't have to come on the radio at all, dude does that b/c he wants to.

So was the caller a couple weeks ago attacking Schaub and being a schmuk or no? Serious question. Because earlier in this thread it sounded like the callers were being polite but Schaub didn't want to deal with it.

So that would go against the whole Schaub shouldn't have to and doesn't have to deal with it. If the callers were "in bounds" but Schaub just doesn't want to deal with it and Vandy is protecting him from good callers with tough questions then that is where I have my issue.

Now, if callers were just beeing asses then that is another thing. I didn't hear the previous callers that made 610 abandon callers, but going off of what was said early in this thread, no one was rude.

grinch1134
10-10-2011, 08:47 AM
There is nothing I could say to Schaub today that wouldn't be critical and there is also no need for him to deal with that, polite or not. Even a what are your thoughts on Vickers dropping that pass. Not needed, this is face time with the QB not lets see where we can pin him down and get a quote. Now if everyone was so Matt so tough game, what do we do to prepare for Baltimore. Then I have no problem.

None of us want to be Matt's friend today, so why should he have to put up with that.

Mr teX
10-10-2011, 09:16 AM
So was the caller a couple weeks ago attacking Schaub and being a schmuk or no? Serious question. Because earlier in this thread it sounded like the callers were being polite but Schaub didn't want to deal with it.

So that would go against the whole Schaub shouldn't have to and doesn't have to deal with it. If the callers were "in bounds" but Schaub just doesn't want to deal with it and Vandy is protecting him from good callers with tough questions then that is where I have my issue.

Now, if callers were just beeing asses then that is another thing. I didn't hear the previous callers that made 610 abandon callers, but going off of what was said early in this thread, no one was rude.

Based on what i've read in here about the types of questions that the callers were asking, yeah they were being shmucks. It's not a matter of being polite b/c i'm sure you'd be screened out by 610 if you jumped on there & tried to go in. You can be polite as hell but still ask a dumb/condescending questions.

Asking the guy if there's something wrong with him b/c his passes are late/ weak. I mean really? Like they knew what schaub was supposed to reading...like they know the offense. How would you respond if someone indirectly questioned your ability to do your job? Especially with you knowing full well that the person who is asking this question likely couldn't come close to doing it as well as you?

I just don't get it with our fans sometimes.

GP
10-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Media people are not going to screw over a sports star.

It would be like getting free pizza from the best place in town, then going on a TV show (YOUR tv show that you host every week) and allowing people to call into your show and say how bad the pizza sucks.

Result: You're not going to get free pizza anymore.

So having said that, why would anybody even tune into those shows in the first place? You're going to get highly filtered and definitely biased "talk" from the sports star. It's a waste of everyone's time.

Mr teX
10-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Media people are not going to screw over a sports star.

It would be like getting free pizza from the best place in town, then going on a TV show (YOUR tv show that you host every week) and allowing people to call into your show and say how bad the pizza sucks.

Result: You're not going to get free pizza anymore.

So having said that, why would anybody even tune into those shows in the first place? You're going to get highly filtered and definitely biased "talk" from the sports star. It's a waste of everyone's time.

exactly. i always change the station when these players shows come on b/c of that..most times all you're going to get is the usual coachspeak "one game at a time.." "guys played hard.." etc. etc. I

Double Barrel
10-10-2011, 10:41 AM
exactly. i always change the station when these players shows come on b/c of that..most times all you're going to get is the usual coachspeak "one game at a time.." "guys played hard.." etc. etc. I

yep. I rarely listen to radio interviews. Like you said, if you've heard one, you've heard them all. Boring stuff. I'd rather listen to some metal. :headbang:

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I wish I had heard this myself, because I am listening to Schaub on his weekly call in now and once again, as expected, no callers allowed, only nice, safe, soft as a babys bottom texts. So, I wish I had heard just how "bad" this call was a few weeks ago that made everyone's pee pees shrink at 610 while Schaub is on the air.

So if this was on 790, 1560, or what ever station you support, if they let callers rip Schaub, Kubiak, or any other player a new you, do you think that Texan would ever appear on that station again?

Just sayin', I get people disliking 610's (admittedly) homer-ism, but if you piss off the guests they won't be guests any more.

TexanBacker93
10-10-2011, 11:13 AM
I heard it.

Those two callers were idiots. They deserved the caustic response they got.

Schaub played a good game yesterday. Not only was he mistake free, his offensive line did him absolutely no favors. There's really no basis for calling in and asking him if something is "wrong" with him or why his passes are "late."

I wouldn't say he played good today. He completed less than half of his passes. He had many passes fall at the feet of receivers or were too wide for anyone to catch. He wasn't completely at fault since I agree that OL was pretty bad, but he wasn't mistake free. He threw 2 INTs (one was a tip I know). While Vickers should have caught the pass that he dropped, it wasn't a perfect throw. It was behind him enough to make him have to twist back. Lead the receiver a little more and it was complete. It's still on Vickers, but Matt wasn't flawless.

disaacks3
10-10-2011, 11:22 AM
So if this was on 790, 1560, or what ever station you support, if they let callers rip Schaub, Kubiak, or any other player a new you, do you think that Texan would ever appear on that station again?

Just sayin', I get people disliking 610's (admittedly) homer-ism, but if you piss off the guests they won't be guests any more.

In general, I agree, but...the 610 folks keep saying that they'll as "the tough questions". B.S.

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
In general, I agree, but...the 610 folks keep saying that they'll ask "the tough questions". B.S.

Well, that's a lie, no one asks the tough questions because they don't want Bob pulling their credentials!

The media in Houston is as soft as the O Line was yesterday.

Ckw
10-10-2011, 11:40 AM

But Yankee, isn't that what the sports media is supposed to do?!?!

I mean this town just pisses me off with how wussy we are. You think the sports stations in New York, Philly, Oakland, or even Dallas are worried about pissing off the team (honestly, I don't know because I really haven't listened to their talk radio so maybe they are just like us)? Hell, if anything, this is a mutually beneficial relationship for the Texans. When they appear on the radio, that means publicity. More publicity equals more exposure and more exposure means potentially more fans which equals more money.

They are supposed to ask the tough questions. Be hard on the team. Tell our guys to man up and play better football.

I hate 610...

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 11:43 AM
But Yankee, isn't that what the sports media is supposed to do?!?!

I mean this town just pisses me off with how wussy we are. You think the sports stations in New York, Philly, Oakland, or even Dallas are worried about pissing off the team (honestly, I don't know because I really haven't listened to their talk radio so maybe they are just like us)? Hell, if anything, this is a mutually beneficial relationship for the Texans. When they appear on the radio, that means publicity. More publicity equals more exposure and more exposure means potentially more fans which equals more money.

They are supposed to ask the tough questions. Be hard on the team. Tell our guys to man up and play better football.

I hate 610...

Pssssst, read the post JUST above yours, quoted here for you:

Well, that's a lie, no one asks the tough questions because they don't want Bob pulling their credentials!

I was just stating my opinion that the interviews would be exactly the same in Houston, whether 610, 790, 1560 or 97.5, IMHO.

Ckw
10-10-2011, 11:44 AM

And when do we start looking at ourselves? If our media is Charmin soft, it's because we don't demand more out of them. We still continue to read the paper with pieces of crap like Richard Justice and Jerome Solomon writing for it. We listen to the radio with the mother hen herself Vandy.

I love this city. I love our sports teams. Sadly, I don't know any better because I've lived here my entire life and was born here. But compared to many other sports cities, we as a city are weenies, and our talk radio, newspapers, head coach, and QB represent all of that perfectly.

Ckw
10-10-2011, 11:46 AM
Pssssst, read the post JUST above yours, quoted here for you:

I was just stating my opinion that the interviews would be exactly the same in Houston, whether 610, 790, 1560 or 97.5, IMHO.

Yeah I was writing my post when you made the post you are referencing. So it wasn't there for me to read yet.

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 11:48 AM
And when do we start looking at ourselves? If our media is Charmin soft, it's because we don't demand more out of them. We still continue to read the paper with pieces of crap like Richard Justice and Jerome Solomon writing for it. We listen to the radio with the mother hen herself Vandy.

I love this city. I love our sports teams. Sadly, I don't know any better because I've lived here my entire life and was born here. But compared to many other sports cities, we as a city are weenies, and our talk radio, newspapers, head coach, and QB represent all of that perfectly.

It is the culture. The Texans, for example, are very quick to pull media credentials when you mess up.

So until everyone turns the radio off (which won't happen), and there's a station willing to play the the owners' rules, they are all going to do it.

Love it or hate it, it is the media we are stuck with (but I appreciate your frustration).

thunderkyss
10-10-2011, 04:36 PM
I just heard Gary's press conference.

Barry from 790 definitely asked a question that rubbed Gary the wrong way. He said something like, "it would have been easy for Matt to run that into the end-zone."

Gary protected his QB.... 790 does not get the access that 610 does.

Yankee_In_TX
10-10-2011, 04:38 PM
I just heard Gary's press conference.

Barry from 790 definitely asked a question that rubbed Gary the wrong way. He said something like, "it would have been easy for Matt to run that into the end-zone."

Gary protected his QB.... 790 does not get the access that 610 does.

You mean Barry Warner from 610?

Wolf6151
10-10-2011, 05:05 PM
610 am doesn't ask tough questions. They cater to the athletes and kiss the teams ass because that's where their paycheck comes from. They're not journalists they're team publicists. If the athlete can't handle the publics real questions and criticism then maybe the public has a point and theirs something to their criticism.

Heath Shuler
10-10-2011, 05:12 PM
It is the culture. The Texans, for example, are very quick to pull media credentials when you mess up.

Who has had their credentials pulled?

Kimmy
10-10-2011, 05:25 PM
The thing is, Kubiak still takes calls on his 5pm show ... I really think it was Matt being a little diva b!t@h ....

Texanmike02
10-10-2011, 05:28 PM
This is what people want:

http://www.vigilantsports.com/2011/08/11/zakk-and-jack-unprofessional-and-classless-while-interviewing-coach-kevin-wilson/

Mike

Yankee_In_TX
10-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Who has had their credentials pulled?

There used to be a Texans monthly magazine. One of their folks took a person to a practice who in turn asked for an autograph - bye bye credentials. No more magazine.

Yankee_In_TX
10-11-2011, 11:19 AM
610 am doesn't ask tough questions. They cater to the athletes and kiss the teams ass because that's where their paycheck comes from. They're not journalists they're team publicists. If the athlete can't handle the publics real questions and criticism then maybe the public has a point and theirs something to their criticism.

Again, anyone who thinks if the Kubiak or Schaub show were on 790 or 1560 or 97.5 and that the questions would not be filtered down to softball questions , well, I have some beach from property in Florida for you.

I'm not saying that 610 isn't a homer station, but it's the way Houston media is, or at least has been for the 8 years I have lived here.

Vinny
10-11-2011, 11:19 AM
We haven't seen this much homerism since the Cold War. Pravda has nothing on the 610 Texans coverage.

Yankee_In_TX
10-11-2011, 11:20 AM
This is what people want:

http://www.vigilantsports.com/2011/08/11/zakk-and-jack-unprofessional-and-classless-while-interviewing-coach-kevin-wilson/

Mike

Which might be entertaining, but certainly doesn't make for a good interview, lol.