PDA

View Full Version : Time to see if we are for real.

DocBar
09-19-2011, 06:43 AM
2-0 is sweet, but everyone remembers last season. Now we get to play the Saints and get our first test against an elite team. This will be one helluva measuring stick.

We all know about the Brees and the passing game, but the Saints also have a pretty solid running game this season. I bet Wade and the defensive staff are gonna lose some sleep this week. Hopefully JJo's ankle will be good enough to go on, because we're gonna need all hands on deck and probably stay in nickel the whole game. Mark Ingram and Pierre Thomas are the wild cards in this. Sean Payton might decide to see how good his running game is since we're sporting a new defense that is really getting after QB's. We just put 4 quarters of less than stellar run D on film and we have to respect the pass first and foremost, so Payton could very well use some draws and runs up the middle and take advantage of our lack of a true NT.

On defense, the Saints are as blitz happy as they come. We put 4 quarters of less than stellar blitz pickups on film today, especially in the 3rd quarter and early 4th. You can bet your azz that Gregg Williams will be throwing everything and the kitchen sink at us. If we're able to make the right adjustments and burn those blitzes a few times, we stand to make a game of it. If not, we're in for a long day. Hopefully, Kubiak will do what he did today and open it up when the Saints defense starts dictating our offense. We have playmakers on offense, so let them make plays and do what stars do: win football games.

I really think we can win this game. If we can burn them on blitzes a few times, our offense can hang with theirs.
What do y'all think?

FirstTexansFan
09-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Given the choice of this game or the week after for a loss, I'll pick this one. Not saying a win in both would be amazing, but I'm not expecting that.

DocBar
09-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Given the choice of this game or the week after for a loss, I'll pick this one. Not saying a win in both would be amazing, but I'm not expecting that.I want to see us compete and, if we're on the losing end of things, have the outcome in doubt until the final whistle. If we can do that, it's a fair bet that we are for real and there are great things in our future. If we get blown out, not so much.
It's always better to lose a non-conference game, It doesn't hurt so much with tie breakers. I also expect us to do pretty OK against the Steelers. I think they are vulnerable this year. Their OL isn't looking very good and their D is getting long in the tooth. I think they will be good in spurts, but not for 16 games.

FirstTexansFan
09-19-2011, 07:23 AM
I agree, I just want to feel after the game that they competed well, and had a chance to pull it out. A blowout will throw this fanbase into a frenzy... myself included.

DocBar
09-19-2011, 07:24 AM
I agree, I just want to feel after the game that they competed well, and had a chance to pull it out. A blowout will throw this fanbase into a frenzy... myself included.If we get blown out, Ima do something crazy like suggest we trade Mario Williams!!
:overreact::overreact::overreact:

welsh texan
09-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Obviously this game will not necessarily make or break our season, We all looked at the schedule and knew it was a tough start, and the Saints are probably the best team we'll face this season and if you look past this week we still play the Ravens, Steelers and Falcons but apart from those 3 games we haven't got a difficult schedule overall.

Watching the game yesterday it became clear to me that Wade's defence, as respectable as it looked in week 1, still has a lot to work on which will come in time, so if we can get away with at least 1 win from the next 2 games I'll be happy as Larry.

The real issue is whether or not Schaub can sort out his red zone funk. I remember when he first came to Houston he seemed to throw a lot of turnovers in the red zone which hurt us big time, it seems like Kubiak has moved towards limiting the turnover potential in that area of the field at the expense of some of the creativity required to get it in.

I think the issues we've seen are probably a product of the shortened pre-season and Schaub will also improve as the weeks go by.

Malloy
09-19-2011, 07:35 AM
If we get blown out, Ima do something crazy like suggest we trade Mario Williams!!
:overreact::overreact::overreact:

Just release him. It'll send a message to the rest of the team ;)

DocBar
09-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Obviously this game will not necessarily make or break our season, We all looked at the schedule and knew it was a tough start, and the Saints are probably the best team we'll face this season and if you look past this week we still play the Ravens, Steelers and Falcons but apart from those 3 games we haven't got a difficult schedule overall.

Watching the game yesterday it became clear to me that Wade's defence, as respectable as it looked in week 1, still has a lot to work on which will come in time, so if we can get away with at least 1 win from the next 2 games I'll be happy as Larry.

The real issue is whether or not Schaub can sort out his red zone funk. I remember when he first came to Houston he seemed to throw a lot of turnovers in the red zone which hurt us big time, it seems like Kubiak has moved towards limiting the turnover potential in that area of the field at the expense of some of the creativity required to get it in.

I think the issues we've seen are probably a product of the shortened pre-season and Schaub will also improve as the weeks go by. I don't think Schaub was the big red zone problem today. We got outplayed at the point of attack and found out that we can't impose our will on better DL's and we need to be flexible in our goal line approach. We were very conservative inside the redzone today. Those are problems that will show themselves during fil study.

Just release him. It'll send a message to the rest of the team ;)I thought about that, but do we really want to be a copycat coaching staff of Tony Soprano?:specnatz:

Texas T
09-19-2011, 08:31 AM

I think the issues we've seen are probably a product of the shortened pre-season and Schaub will also improve as the weeks go by.

I agree with the above. I'm not confident that we can win both games. If we beat up on the Saints I'm afraid that they will be complacent against the Steelers and lose that one...If they can pull off wins in both games I will be estatic and everyone will see that the Texans are the real thing!!

That being said-we have three tough games in the next four then really only one more in the rest of the season. It's still looking good.

DocBar
09-19-2011, 08:40 AM
I agree with the above. I'm not confident that we can win both games. If we beat up on the Saints I'm afraid that they will be complacent against the Steelers and lose that one...If they can pull off wins in both games I will be estatic and everyone will see that the Texans are the real thing!!

That being said-we have three tough games in the next four then really only one more in the rest of the season. It's still looking good.The Raiders look for real and the tAcks just manhandled the Ravens. I'm seeing fewer "gimme" games on the schedule as the weeks go by. Too bad we don't get the Bungles or Panthers earlier in the year.

Texas T
09-19-2011, 08:46 AM
The Raiders look for real and the tAcks just manhandled the Ravens. I'm seeing fewer "gimme" games on the schedule as the weeks go by. Too bad we don't get the Bungles or Panthers earlier in the year.

But those are still in the next four. Those will be tough, no doubt. I just don't see much to be overly concerned about after that. Now this is still the Texans so anything could happen but I'm feeling pretty optimistic this morning. All is right in the world-Texans 2-0 and Dolts 0-2!!

welsh texan
09-19-2011, 08:57 AM
But those are still in the next four. Those will be tough, no doubt. I just don't see much to be overly concerned about after that. Now this is still the Texans so anything could happen but I'm feeling pretty optimistic this morning. All is right in the world-Texans 2-0 and Dolts 0-2!!

You can only beat whats in front of you and the Texans have done that so far, I think its only natural to feel a little nervous at this stage of the season especially given what happened 12 months ago.

I really hope the coaches are on the players this week though, the 'phins managed to exploit us in certain situations and it was probably a good thing since we still got the W because the Colts didn't test us in week 1, so they have a bit more to work which will help us going forward.

DocBar
09-19-2011, 08:58 AM
what if for miragewhat if what for mirage?

TheMatrix31
09-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Saints' D is predicated on turnovers and Darren Sharper not being there really hurts that. I'm not very confident in them stopping our offense, especially if we can get Walter back for it.

They have a solid running game, but ours is even better. Would like to see Foster play if he can. No weather indoors that can bother him too much.

I say be aggressive on Brees. Blitz if you can. Bears got shredded yesterday playing that bend-but-dont-break stuff.

Playoffs
09-19-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm very concerned about JJoe's ankle/availability for the Saints game.

DocBar
09-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Saints' D is predicated on turnovers and Darren Sharper not being there really hurts that. I'm not very confident in them stopping our offense, especially if we can get Walter back for it.

They have a solid running game, but ours is even better. Would like to see Foster play if he can. No weather indoors that can bother him too much.

I say be aggressive on Brees. Blitz if you can. Bears got shredded yesterday playing that bend-but-dont-break stuff.That is a very naive and optimistic view of this game. The Saints turnovers must be caused. NFL QB's don't just throw interceptions to please a defense nor do RB's fumble the ball for that reason. Turnovers are caused and you can't predicate a defense on getting turnovers. You can have a defense that is opportunistic, but you can't depend on turnovers.
Our coaching staff will be tested in this game moreso than our players. We have the talent. Do we have the leadership?

TheMatrix31
09-19-2011, 09:16 AM
That's what I mean. The Saints D is opportunistic, and not having Darren Sharper hurts their opportunistic ways.

DocBar
09-19-2011, 09:23 AM

I say be aggressive on Brees. Blitz if you can. Bears got shredded yesterday playing that bend-but-dont-break stuff.

That's what I mean. The Saints D is opportunistic, and not having Darren Sharper hurts their opportunistic ways.OK, but to say a defense is predicated on turnovers is silly. Defenses can be predicated on stoping the run or pressuring the QB and both of those can lead to turnovers, but you can't rely on them like you can a great pass rusher or run stuffer. Turnovers are a by-product of good gameplanning but all the gameplanning in the world can't gaurantee them.

Section516
09-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Saint's D is a bend-don't break, big play v big play, pressure oriented D.. Lots of blitzes from lots of places, if they get there, big play by D..If Offense gets the ball out to right spot, big play O. Wrong read, turnover.

michaelm
09-19-2011, 10:36 AM

That being said-we have three tough games in the next four then really only one more in the rest of the season. It's still looking good.

Personally, I can't imagine any scenario where the Texans are complacent about a game against the Steelers.
Regardless of what happens vs NO, the Texans will be expecting a war against Pitt.

Runner
09-19-2011, 11:52 AM
The Texans are a well balanced, talented team contending for the playoffs and even the Super Bowl in the minds of many. They are 2-0 and are matching up against a couple of 1-1 teams.

I expect them to win both games. If they do, they have proven to me they are contenders.

If they go 0-2, they've proven to me that not much has changed.

If they split, in my opinion they are a a pretty good team that has "proven" nothing one way or another.

dinkatoid
09-19-2011, 11:55 AM
OK, but to say a defense is predicated on turnovers is silly. Defenses can be predicated on stoping the run or pressuring the QB and both of those can lead to turnovers, but you can't rely on them like you can a great pass rusher or run stuffer. Turnovers are a by-product of good gameplanning but all the gameplanning in the world can't gaurantee them.

I think what he was getting at is that the Saints preached gambling for turnovers. Some people preach the basics, keep the play in front of you, make a solid tackle and live to fight another day, etc. The Saints have no problem with some whacky blitz to see if they can gamble on a bad throw. The downside to this philosophy is that you can get burned on it too. The first year with Williams, when they won the superbowl, it paid off big time. Last year was not nearly so good for them though. Sharper lost a step (and is gone now) and they could not capitalize on the confusion.

There are holes in the Saints D, we just have to take advantage of them. I think we do have the advantage if we get into a game of who can out rush the other, but I also think if we can somehow get off to a fast start and get a decent lead, NO will take some chances on O to try to get a big explosive play to get back in the game, and as happened last year, it can bite them with some costly turnovers. Brees has been solid so far this season, but he did throw something like 22 ints last season, so if you can get some pressure when they do throw, he can be caused to make a bad throw.

Dread-Head
09-19-2011, 04:04 PM
VUGG IT! Ignore the scoreboard. Each time the Texans and Saints have played (including preseason) the Saints have taken cheap shots like the ones they took in that game against Bret Favre the year they won their superbowl. I say if you're the Texans Defense hit hard until you hear a whistle.
TRY to inflict concussions because the Saints sure as hell will. The crowd will be against ya, the REFS will be against ya, the NATIONAL MEDIA will be against you and even IF you win it won't be called a "Texan win" but rather a "Saints loss" and they'll say how "unprepared" the Saints were not how exceptional you played ...so VUGG IT!
Play the same kind of smash-mouth ball the Saints are gonna play but HARDER. Screw the old testament, (no disrespect or blasphemy intended) go *Hamurabi Codes on 'em. You've got NOTHING...you've got nothing to lose. The only way for this defense to EARN some respect is to leave Brees black and blue and to flatten his receivers and running backs. If the Saints win it let the muff-huggas limp away and say they EARNED it.

*The Hamurabi codes is ACTUALLY where the phrase "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" comes from."

RazorOye
09-19-2011, 04:21 PM
The real issue is whether or not Schaub can sort out his red zone funk.

Brees and the offense have the same funk, too.

Red zone against the Packers I think we had 5 opportunities and came away with 2 field goals. And that's it.

We got a couple of red zone TDs yesterday, but it's still not a very good percentage. In a game like we'll have vs the Texans, we can't come away empty and can't be satisfied with one field goal after another.

drunkcookie
09-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Geez, Dread-Head, you got me a little too pumped for a Monday ha, almost forgot what I came here to post...

Anyhoo, it's really not this game (for me) that will show me if they're real or not, it's this wicked stretch of 4-5 games (Titans pending) starting Sunday...

Now I do think the Texans can go into Nola Sunday and grab a win, but something tells me this will be that damn "come back down to reality" game...

It's that stretch that begins Sunday will tells us what we need to know...

Thorn
09-19-2011, 05:02 PM
We've been down this road to many times. I don't think we'll know if the Texans are "For Real" until after the bye week. But even a casual fan should notice the improvement in the defense.

You can drink the koolaid or not, it makes no difference. Until the Texans finally get to the playoffs and win a game or two there, no one should trust them. Love them, yes, but trust? Nope. Not for a second.

chicagotexan2
09-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Really good teams beat teams like NO. Well see if we are one of those teams. I like what I see so far (mostly) but the saints will test the texans. Having said that I think if we hammer them with the ground game and put consistent pressure on brees we will take them down. I hope Wade is ready to unleash the pass rush next week. If we beat Antwan like the saints then we will no longer be ignored. If we lose or get rolled we'll just fade into Bolivian along with Tyson.

EllisUnit
09-19-2011, 05:34 PM
OK compete REALLY ???? Screw Competing that time has long passed. I expect to win, anything less will be a failure. Trying to compete was 3-4 years ago So how bout our texans go kick some saints ass. They'll be so Dazed and confuzed that they'll have a reason to say "Who DA FUK WAS Dat ?????" :gun:

jlam
09-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I think what he was getting at is that the Saints preached gambling for turnovers. Some people preach the basics, keep the play in front of you, make a solid tackle and live to fight another day, etc. The Saints have no problem with some whacky blitz to see if they can gamble on a bad throw. The downside to this philosophy is that you can get burned on it too. The first year with Williams, when they won the superbowl, it paid off big time. Last year was not nearly so good for them though. Sharper lost a step (and is gone now) and they could not capitalize on the confusion.

Funny thing with this is that while it's completely true that our turnover numbers were (much) lower last season, somewhere along the way people decided that it meant our defense was correspondingly much worse. That really wasn't the case. Our yardage and PPG totals were better and we still went 11-5.

I'm guessing that what sticks in most people's heads (and rightfully so) is how we made Matt Hasselbeck look like Rich Gannon in that playoff game. Some of that was poor scheme and injuries (not having Malcom Jenkins really hurt) and some was Hasselbeck playing out of his mind. But over the course of the season I'd actually say our defense was the more stable, if unspectacular, unit. It was the offense that struggled with literally every single RB getting hurt and Drew Brees turning into Bad Brett Favre for a large part of the season (more on that below).

There are holes in the Saints D, we just have to take advantage of them. I think we do have the advantage if we get into a game of who can out rush the other, but I also think if we can somehow get off to a fast start and get a decent lead, NO will take some chances on O to try to get a big explosive play to get back in the game, and as happened last year, it can bite them with some costly turnovers. Brees has been solid so far this season, but he did throw something like 22 ints last season, so if you can get some pressure when they do throw, he can be caused to make a bad throw.

True enough. If we're talking specific holes and advantages, I'd look for the Texans to really target their tight ends and backs out of the backfield. They'll try like hell to get Daniels and Casey and Foster/Tate matched up on our outside linebackers. Not that this is a big departure from normal game planning with those guys, but against our OLB's I wouldn't be surprised to see it take on increased focus. Shanle will likely play a lot and he looks even slower now that he used to. Dunbar is a very good run stopper but struggles in coverage. Cassillas has all the tools to excell there (super athlete and a playmaker) but is inexperienced and can probably be fooled. If Will Herring plays I will forcefully put my face into the seatback in front of me.

Regarding Brees: He was super off last season - no doubt. Some of that could stem from a reported knee injury he sustained (that was downplayed by the team - we're basically worse than the Patriots where covering up/withholding information on injuries is concerned, btw) and a lot of it no doubt comes from having to suffer through injury after injury to the backfield. Having Julius Jones and Ladell Betts as the primary ballcarriers puts a lot of pressure on a QB. But some of it was just plain poor decision making.

Regardless of what the cause was, he looks focused as hell so far this season, which is a good (for us) sign. Two games in against maybe the best two defenses we'll play all season with nary a mistake made.

Getting pressure is one of those things that's easier said that done. One the one hand, given Brees' stature he struggles most when the pressure is coming up the middle as he feels the outside rush really well when he's on. But then the weak link in our Oline has to be our tackles who will be facing the strong points of the Texans' D (OLB, DE). It'll be an interesting matchup. I would think a lot of stunting and delayed middle blitzes will be popular to get in Brees' face. Just better hope they get home.

michaelm
09-19-2011, 05:56 PM
VUGG IT! Ignore the scoreboard. Each time the Texans and Saints have played (including preseason) the Saints have taken cheap shots like the ones they took in that game against Bret Favre the year they won their superbowl. I say if you're the Texans Defense hit hard until you hear a whistle.
TRY to inflict concussions because the Saints sure as hell will. The crowd will be against ya, the REFS will be against ya, the NATIONAL MEDIA will be against you and even IF you win it won't be called a "Texan win" but rather a "Saints loss" and they'll say how "unprepared" the Saints were not how exceptional you played ...so VUGG IT!
Play the same kind of smash-mouth ball the Saints are gonna play but HARDER. Screw the old testament, (no disrespect or blasphemy intended) go *Hamurabi Codes on 'em. You've got NOTHING...you've got nothing to lose. The only way for this defense to EARN some respect is to leave Brees black and blue and to flatten his receivers and running backs. If the Saints win it let the muff-huggas limp away and say they EARNED it.

*The Hamurabi codes is ACTUALLY where the phrase "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" comes from."

Very inspirational Dread!

But going out on a limb here I... *ehem*, I'm going to assume that I'm the only person that read your entire post in the voice of Reverend Preacherbot...
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/9116/834087-preacherbot_large.jpg

The Pencil Neck
09-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Getting pressure is one of those things that's easier said that done. One the one hand, given Brees' stature he struggles most when the pressure is coming up the middle as he feels the outside rush really well when he's on. But then the weak link in our Oline has to be our tackles who will be facing the strong points of the Texans' D (OLB, DE). It'll be an interesting matchup. I would think a lot of stunting and delayed middle blitzes will be popular to get in Brees' face. Just better hope they get home.

I think that JJ Watt will probably knock down a couple of passes. It's going to be interesting to see if we can get to Brees and if we can get our rush defense squared away. That's our weak point right now.

From what I've seen so far this year, I don't know if we have the firepower on both sides of the ball to hang with the Saints.

Historically, Schaub is a very good QB against the blitz but Miami hit us with some CB blitzes that totally had us befuddled. I'm not too worried about our red zone problems against the Dolphins because I think that was Arian trying to play through his hamstring problem.

I think we've got to pound the rock a bit more at first and open up the boots. The Dolphin OLBs were playing good contain and they were all over the boot so we didn't run a lot of them.

EllisUnit
09-19-2011, 06:16 PM
I think that JJ Watt will probably knock down a couple of passes. It's going to be interesting to see if we can get to Brees and if we can get our rush defense squared away. That's our weak point right now.

From what I've seen so far this year, I don't know if we have the firepower on both sides of the ball to hang with the Saints.

Historically, Schaub is a very good QB against the blitz but Miami hit us with some CB blitzes that totally had us befuddled. I'm not too worried about our red zone problems against the Dolphins because I think that was Arian trying to play through his hamstring problem.

I think we've got to pound the rock a bit more at first and open up the boots. The Dolphin OLBs were playing good contain and they were all over the boot so we didn't run a lot of them.

IT COULD just be me, but it seems to me that Foster is much better at protecting Schaub than Tate. Tate whiffed on a few key blocks. He needs to work on that phase of his game IMO.

The Pencil Neck
09-19-2011, 06:23 PM
IT COULD just be me, but it seems to me that Foster is much better at protecting Schaub than Tate. Tate whiffed on a few key blocks. He needs to work on that phase of his game IMO.

It's not just you. Tate's functionally a rookie and the hardest thing for rooks to pick up is blitzes.

This is why he's basically the 3rd stringer.

He needs to fix it quick cause I think he's about to be recruited into the first string with Arian's hamstring limiting him.

welsh texan
09-19-2011, 06:30 PM
We've seen Kubiak keep RB's out of the lineup for far longer than this board thought necessary before now precisely because of fears about blitz pickup etc, Foster was kept out till very late his rookie season, I think there were less successful RBs who went through similar calls to get them on the field late in the season but Kubiak kept them out.

I doubt Tate has much of a role in our offense in Kubiak's perfect world until he's managed to beat QB protection into him first, his hand has been forced by injuries to Foster and Ward and whilst he's been fantastic at toting the rock, 2 100 yard games, we can see why Gary is so nervous of putting inexperienced running backs in there early in their careers.

SaintRusty
09-19-2011, 06:59 PM
One thing I can say about the Texans fans is that they sure are a lot more grounded and self aware than the Bears fans. Their board was a laughable mess of horrid predictions before Sunday. Some had them dropping 40+ points on the Saints. I think pretty much every post I've read here falls into the "cautiously optimistic" category, which is exactly what a smart fan of either team should be thinking. IMO, the Saints win this one. Game is close early, with the Saints pulling away late third quarter. Game venue tilts this from 55-45ish% Saint advantage to 65-35...the 'dome is brutal :wild:... BUT, if Schaub and company can get out to a 10+ point lead in the first quarter they may be able to hang on...especially if they can run the ball even half as well as they did in preseason. Even then it would come down to the last second. If the Saints get up 2+ scores before the half, you can put it in the bank.

FWIW (which I'm sure isn't much! :)) , I'm pulling for you guys all the way after this week. I wanna see some Texans playoff games!

hradhak
09-19-2011, 07:08 PM
One thing I can say about the Texans fans is that they sure are a lot more grounded and self aware than the Bears fans. Their board was a laughable mess of horrid predictions before Sunday. Some had them dropping 40+ points on the Saints. I think pretty much every post I've read here falls into the "cautiously optimistic" category, which is exactly what a smart fan of either team should be thinking. IMO, the Saints win this one. Game is close early, with the Saints pulling away late third quarter. Game venue tilts this from 55-45ish% Saint advantage to 65-35...the 'dome is brutal :wild:... BUT, if Schaub and company can get out to a 10+ point lead in the first quarter they may be able to hang on...especially if they can run the ball even half as well as they did in preseason. Even then it would come down to the last second. If the Saints get up 2+ scores before the half, you can put it in the bank.

FWIW (which I'm sure isn't much! :)) , I'm pulling for you guys all the way after this week. I wanna see some Texans playoff games!

Welcome to the board.

I think the Texans have a tough game ahead with the Saints. There's no question about it. Our best shot is keeping our offense balanced. If we are forced into a shootout we're going to lose. Slow the game down a little and wear out the Saints D line with some consistent running and we have a shot.

Dread-Head
09-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Very inspirational Dread!

But going out on a limb here I... *ehem*, I'm going to assume that I'm the only person that read your entire post in the voice of Reverend Preacherbot...
>

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/9116/834087-preacherbot_large.jpg

Okay...that's just funny. But it would have been funnier if BENDER did it.

Dread-Head
09-19-2011, 07:30 PM
This game going to be like showering in prison. You KNOW the big dude is gonna try something...so try to cave in his skull before he DOES. You MIGHT still get beaten senseless...but he'll know that sneakin' up on you in the future isn't the best idea and move on to someone else who won't put up a fight.

ArlingtonTexan
09-19-2011, 07:34 PM

It is easy being realistic when your has only broken .500 once with a nine win season.

ArlingtonTexan
09-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I thin if the Texans are to be taken as serious team capable of not just getting in because its division is horrible, they need to win one of the next two games.

Big Lou
09-19-2011, 07:41 PM
I hope that they don't put Chase Daniel in that guys kicks our ass!!!!!

DexmanC
09-19-2011, 07:53 PM
The Texans have no problem finishing 8-2 or 7-3 out of the division.
Their true test is, and will always be how they fare against the AFC South.
Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Indy.

I'll believe they can win the division once they finally do it.

kiwitexansfan
09-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Saint's D is a bend-don't break, big play v big play, pressure oriented D.. Lots of blitzes from lots of places, if they get there, big play by D..If Offense gets the ball out to right spot, big play O. Wrong read, turnover.

The Saints D you describe is a big play defense.

A bend don't break defense, plays conservatively to avoid big plays at all costs. Tends not to blitz, plays off coverage, deep zones etc. Much of what the Texans tried to do under Smith and Bush was bend not break.

Greg Williams is known for his high risk, high reward defenses. (and for being a rubbish head coach).

TexanSam
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Our running game is going to be key this game. The longer the Saints offense is off the field the better. Our defense has improved but the Saints are going to put up big numbers against most teams (Packers and Bears also have good D's). Need to control the time of possession and try and avoid getting in a shootout.

ObsiWan
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
I thin if the Texans are to be taken as serious team capable of not just getting in because its division is horrible, they need to win one of the next two games.

I don't (and it pains me to say this) think the Titans are horrible. There's only one AFC South QB that has been to the Super Bowl (hint: he don't play here). That same guy just put up 350 yds passing on - what everyone thought - was a good defense.

And if you think Munchak isn't using the fact that we, and not they, have been annointed the new AFC-S champs in the absense of Manning, guess again.

They worry me.

But then, EVERY game worries me.

The Pencil Neck
09-19-2011, 09:47 PM
The Texans have no problem finishing 8-2 or 7-3 out of the division.
Their true test is, and will always be how they fare against the AFC South.
Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Indy.

I'll believe they can win the division once they finally do it.

The Texans have finished 3-3 twice in Kubiak's tenure and both times, we've finished 6-10. We were 1-5 in the division the year we went 9-7.

9-7 could win this division. If we go 1-5 in the division and still win it with a 9-7 overall record, I'm fine with that.

DexmanC
09-20-2011, 02:03 AM
The Texans have finished 3-3 twice in Kubiak's tenure and both times, we've finished 6-10. We were 1-5 in the division the year we went 9-7.

9-7 could win this division. If we go 1-5 in the division and still win it with a 9-7 overall record, I'm fine with that.

We're only 2 games into the season. I don't remember 9-7 ever being a good enough record to win the AFC South. With the non-division schedule this team has, they are gonna have to win AT Tennessee, AT Indy, and AT Jacksonville (at least two of three,)
which they've only done twice out of about nine times under Kubiak, right?

I like what I see so far, but I am not convinced they yet have the maturity to have a
7-5 or better record come the end of the first twelve games. The NFL has stacked
the majority of the division games on the back half of the schedule. The days of hoping your opponents suck enough for you to sneak into the playoffs with mediocre play are supposed to be over for this team. Time for them to nut up and actually WIN the AFC South.

80tothezone
09-20-2011, 02:47 AM
I will just say this .... if we win time for everyone to get on the bandwagon, if we loose don't jump off da wagon either

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Patriotsmuse
09-20-2011, 05:01 AM
I said before on the thread "going through Pittsburgh" a while back.

This is the game that will tell us . Saints not Pittsburgh.
Everything your wrote is spot on. I do think Texan team is capable but the Saints were on against Chicago. This will be a make or break game in many ways for both teams .

Good luck !:thisbig:

Patriotsmuse
09-20-2011, 05:21 AM

Yeppers!

But if the Saints are consistent it will be a hill to climb. Consistency not always our strong suit lol . I would love to see both teams do well ,no blow outs .

Patriotsmuse
09-20-2011, 05:23 AM

Dread you are getting sleepy .....lay back ...eyes getting heavy......
Now lets work on that unresolved rage ! Inside Joke .

:ahhaha:

Dread ya know I am just messing :thisbig:

DocBar
09-20-2011, 07:19 AM
After seeing the Texans hold Henne to 170 yds. on Sunday, I'm very intrigued by what Phillips will scheme for NOLA. They have a good running game this year, so it could be very interesting.

TheMatrix31
09-20-2011, 08:32 AM
You beat the Saints like you beat the Peyton Colts. Run, run, run. Keep their offense from seeing the field. Dominate TOP. When you do play D, blitz the hell out of Brees. He might hit you hard over the top, but if you hit him harder, he'll make mistakes.

RazorOye
09-20-2011, 09:02 AM
When you do play D, blitz the hell out of Brees. He might hit you hard over the top, but if you hit him harder, he'll make mistakes.

Actually, this isn't often an effective strategy vs. Brees:

From Yaskinkas over at ESPN

There’s an easy trend to spot. New Orleans’ Drew Brees actually get better against the blitz.

With Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush and Mike Bell giving the Saints a running game in 2009/10, Brees’ numbers weren’t quite so gaudy and the Saints won the Super Bowl. But in one situation, Brees’ 2009/10 numbers were dramatically better than 2008/09. That was against the blitz. According to ESPN Stats & Information, Brees had a 120.3 passer rating when facing five or more pass-rushers in 2009. In 2008, his rating was 93.4 in those situations. Brees’ 2009 completion percentage against the blitz was 72.1. In 2008, it was 59.8.

Brees also averaged 9.8 yards per attempt against the blitz last year. In 2008, he averaged 8.5 yards. Last season, Brees threw 10 touchdowns and three interceptions on plays where he was blitzed. In 2008, he threw eight touchdowns and four interceptions against the blitz.

from a Clayton column in 09:

3. New York Jets at New Orleans Saints: Coach Rex Ryan, according to ESPN Next Level research, has the Jets leading the league in blitzes. They are blitzing 63.4 percent of the time. The next closest team is the Bears at 49.2 percent. Saints QB Drew Brees has a 145.1 passer rating against blitzes, burning defenses for 12 completions in 18 attempts for 212 yards and two touchdowns.

In the NFCCG against the Vikes, he had a 50% completion rate vs. 4 or fewer rushers and 86% (missing on only one pass) completion rate vs. the blitz.

Brees has very good awareness in the pocket and while not a rushing threat at all, he's very very mobile in the pocket. He feels pressure very well and gets the pass off to his security options very well. He also makes good calls at the line.

I think the best tact is to bring pressure up the middle, in his face. I think JJ Watt is going to be very effective - with his long arms and knack for knocking down balls. I think he might actually be better off occupying space and getting in the way of sub-6' Brees.

Williams vs. Bushrod does scare me a bit.

But Brees's release is very quick and since he moves so well and has dumpoff/security/checkdown options, I'm not sure if just relying on straight pressure via blitzes is the most effective way to stop him.

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 09:27 AM
Williams vs. Bushrod does scare me a bit.

I wouldn't worry about it. SP makes sure Brees stays clean...How many times did Clay Matthews get to him? Julius Peppers? No really, I forget at the moment....but regardless, it wasn't many. If one of the OTs is grossly mismatched, they will give him TE help.

Dread-Head
09-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Dread you are getting sleepy .....lay back ...eyes getting heavy......
Now lets work on that unresolved rage ! Inside Joke .

:ahhaha:

Dread ya know I am just messing :thisbig:

I work in a HS where every other kid is either in a gang...or aspires to be. OF COURSE I have rage issues! If I didn't I wouldn't survive this place. :thisbig:

BTW...you do realize Doctor that I'm mentally picturing you with your hair up in a bun (wearing glasses, a lab coat & a stethescope) and carrying one of those metal clip boards right? BTW in my subconscious you also play a wicked Fender Strat and have an affinity for Russian vodka. :kitten:

...messin' with ya back! :thisbig:

markn
09-20-2011, 12:00 PM
If we can play a clean game and avoid the patented Matt Schaub 'bone-headed play per game', we have a chance.

I think our biggest problem will be over-compensating for Brees in the air. He's a world-apart from Chad Henney, and yet we felt obliged to essentially surrender run-defense against Miami. Running between the tackles is hardly NO's offensive strength, but if they've done their homework they'll know it's our biggest weakness. So I see the Saints getting a ton of success running up the middle and winning the TOP battle. If Schaub can remain calm and mistake free our offense can keep it close. Any turn-overs and we'll be playing catch-up under pressure and that will mean we're in big trouble.

The Pencil Neck
09-20-2011, 12:09 PM
We're only 2 games into the season. I don't remember 9-7 ever being a good enough record to win the AFC South. With the non-division schedule this team has, they are gonna have to win AT Tennessee, AT Indy, and AT Jacksonville (at least two of three,)
which they've only done twice out of about nine times under Kubiak, right?

I like what I see so far, but I am not convinced they yet have the maturity to have a
7-5 or better record come the end of the first twelve games. The NFL has stacked
the majority of the division games on the back half of the schedule. The days of hoping your opponents suck enough for you to sneak into the playoffs with mediocre play are supposed to be over for this team. Time for them to nut up and actually WIN the AFC South.

9-7 hasn't been good enough to win this division before but this division has never had a season without Peyton Manning before.

We could DOMINATE our divisional opponents. We SHOULD dominate our divisional opponents but we could do that and still only go 7-9 and lose the division. Look at the Raiders last year. They swept their division but went 2-8 outside the division, ended up with a 8-8 record and missed the playoffs.

My point is that it's about our overall record, not our divisional record. Our divisional record is inconsequential compared to our overall record. Starting better than 5-7 to me is much, much more important than winning divisional games (even though we should win those.)

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 12:10 PM
I think our biggest problem will be over-compensating for Brees in the air. He's a world-apart from Chad Henney, and yet we felt obliged to essentially surrender run-defense against Miami. Running between the tackles is hardly NO's offensive strength, but if they've done their homework they'll know it's our biggest weakness. So I see the Saints getting a ton of success running up the middle and winning the TOP battle.

Good prediction. I am anxious to see the Saints running game open up this week. The last two games have been against teams with amazing linebackers and D-Lines, so our running hasn't exactly been our strong suit, but I think that is more circumstantial than anything.

Another thing I'm anxious to see is if the Texans will run all over our face like they did in the preseason. I'm sure you all remember...from a Saint perspective that was incredibly painful to watch. If that starts again in this game you guys will be well equipped to pull it off.

Rey
09-20-2011, 12:20 PM
I have not seen the starters as a whole look awful or outmatched through pre-season all the way til this past Sunday. I think that is a first for me as a Texans fan. It also lets me know that the good play I have seen is not a mirage or a fluke. We've played well in different situations.

I also think we will beat the Saints this Sunday. I think we will get to Brees and I think that back end of the defense will do fine against the Saints passing attack.

I'm more worried about our offense turning the ball over. If we start doing that then the Saints likely win barring some miraculous play from the defense. If the offense can limit the turnovers and score TD's instead of FG's I expect a W. JMO.

Playoffs
09-20-2011, 12:38 PM
I'd like to see stats on how the Brees led Saints have fared against Philips DC teams?

powda
09-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Running between the tackles is hardly NO's offensive strength

I couldnt disagree with this more. They have 2 of the best run blocking guards in the game and added a veteran center in the offseason. They choose to pass far more often and they do it very well ,but dont fool yourself...Their interior running game is a good as anyones.

thunderkyss
09-20-2011, 12:52 PM
2-0 is sweet, but everyone remembers last season. Now we get to play the Saints and get our first test against an elite team. This will be one helluva measuring stick.

I won't put much stock in a loss, if we do lose next week. If we are truly a different team, we'll know by what we do after a loss.

The Saints lost week 1.. it happens. But it's rare that they'll lose 2 in a row.

We had 2 four game losing streaks last year. That's the kind of shit we need to fix.

It sucks for this team, to lose to the Saints & then have to will themselves to a win against the Steelers.... but if they lose, that's the bed they made.

If they win, then lose to the Steelers, then they've got to find a way to beat Oakland.... so, whatever.

But I don't want to see any more back to back losses.

markn
09-20-2011, 12:55 PM
I couldnt disagree with this more. They have 2 of the best run blocking guards in the game and added a veteran center in the offseason. They choose to pass far more often and they do it very well ,but dont fool yourself...Their interior running game is a good as anyones.

I didn't say it wasn't good (it is), I said it's not their offensive strength, which is clearly their aerial attack. They have a well-balanced offense (something we share) but have primarily focused on Brees's arm in recent history.

jlam
09-20-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd like to see stats on how the Brees led Saints have fared against Philips DC teams?

Good question.

He didn't play Atlanta at all his first two season as a starter when Phillips was DC there.

He played against him every day in practice '04 and '05 since Phillips was the DC in San Diego, but obviously no game stats to pull there.

Saints didn't play San Diego Brees' first year in N.O. in '06, nor Dallas in '07 or '08 when Phillips went there.

So we're left with two games against Dallas as our only game samples.

2009:
Brees: 29 - 45 (64.4%) for 298 yds. 1 touchdown and 1 interception. 4 sacks and 2 fumbles (both lost). 81.5 Passer rating.

Edited to add: Cowboys won 24-17.

2010:
Brees: 23 - 39 (59.0%) for 352 yds. 1 touchdown and 1 interception. 2 sacks and 0 fumbles. 86.7 Passer rating.

Edited to add: Saints won 30-27.

So from the limited sample we have they did have some success against him. Most Saints fans remember that '09 game well as we were 13-0 at the time but had been juuusst barely pulling out wins the last few weeks and looked primed for a letdown. Ware was supposedly out with a neck injury and was a last second add for the 'Boys. We weren't prepared for him and he absolutely rocked our world that game. Bushrod was still a first year starter and just couldn't match up. If Williams can play half as well as Ware did in that game it could give us some problems, although Bushrod is more experienced now.

thunderkyss
09-20-2011, 01:18 PM
VUGG IT! Ignore the scoreboard.

I say if you're the Texans Defense hit hard until you hear a whistle.

Best reply yet.... Bell to bell Texans

Do it

Play the same kind of smash-mouth ball the Saints are gonna play but HARDER.

DMann said something about this yesterday on the Danieal Manning show, when asked about that Dunta Robinson hit.

He said a hit like that gets your team amped.

We need some of that on the road.

Screw the old testament, (no disrespect or blasphemy intended) go *Hamurabi Codes on 'em. You've got NOTHING...you've got nothing to lose. The only way for this defense to EARN some respect is to leave Brees black and blue and to flatten his receivers and running backs. If the Saints win it let the muff-huggas limp away and say they EARNED it.

(imitates deep low registered voice)

Yeah

(/imitates deep low registered voice)

thunderkyss
09-20-2011, 01:21 PM
We've been down this road to many times. I don't think we'll know if the Texans are "For Real" until after the bye week. But even a casual fan should notice the improvement in the defense.

If we don't win 6 games before the bye, then you'll know we're the same ol Texans.

DocBar
09-20-2011, 01:40 PM
9-7 hasn't been good enough to win this division before but this division has never had a season without Peyton Manning before.

We could DOMINATE our divisional opponents. We SHOULD dominate our divisional opponents but we could do that and still only go 7-9 and lose the division. Look at the Raiders last year. They swept their division but went 2-8 outside the division, ended up with a 8-8 record and missed the playoffs.

My point is that it's about our overall record, not our divisional record. Our divisional record is inconsequential compared to our overall record. Starting better than 5-7 to me is much, much more important than winning divisional games (even though we should win those.)That goes against just about all conventional thought on the subject. Winning your division is the only sure way to get into the playoffs. Wouldn't it suck to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs because of tie breakers? Wouldn't it be sweet to win our division, almost regardless of overall record, and reach the playoffs? I say almost regardless of record because the Seahawks going in with a 7-9 record was just bad, even though they did beat the Saints once in there.
I won't put much stock in a loss, if we do lose next week. If we are truly a different team, we'll know by what we do after a loss.

The Saints lost week 1.. it happens. But it's rare that they'll lose 2 in a row.

We had 2 four game losing streaks last year. That's the kind of shit we need to fix.

It sucks for this team, to lose to the Saints & then have to will themselves to a win against the Steelers.... but if they lose, that's the bed they made.

If they win, then lose to the Steelers, then they've got to find a way to beat Oakland.... so, whatever.

But I don't want to see any more back to back losses.I agree with this, I just don't want to see that 1st loss!! :D

Mr teX
09-20-2011, 03:00 PM
The key matchup will be how wade decides to deal with Sproles as a rb & especially out of the backfield as he has quickly developed into quite the utility man for them.....moreso than Bush every was imo.

But lets not forget, Wade does knows how to get at Brees. I reference last year where the saints just barely eeked out a win (Roy Williams fumble/strip late) But Brees was frustrated & under pressure much of the game & the year before that, where the cowboys were 1 of only 2 teams that beat the saints in their SB year i believe....Brees was also under pressure much of that game as well.

So Wade will certainly put the guys in place to capitalize, but we will give up a ton of yardage; everyone may as well get ready for that. Their offense is just too good. As long as we compete, i don't think that foreshadows anything, whether we win or lose. Good teams sometimes do that to other good teams. See Pittsburgh vs. Baltimore for the last umpteen years. If we can somehow handle Williams' constant blitzing without making too many mistakes, i think we have a chance.

Norg
09-20-2011, 03:10 PM
if u really think about it we would want to rather win aganist a AFC team like the steelers so this saints game really does not matter But a win here would also be good cause im pretty sure New orleans is going to beat Tenn Indy and JAX and that will give us a +1 on them in our pocket plus we have never been 3-0 i think

Norg
09-20-2011, 03:15 PM
the homer in me also thinks we can manhandle these saints : ) Its not like the saints have household name for weapons its all brees if we can cut the head off the snake the "QB" then i think we can really Shut down there O there running game does not scare me at all i know harper is a good RB but he isnt all world

and there D is not that good IMO if we can the texans of old u know the ones that throw up 20 points in the 1st and mid of the 2nd qtr then we should be fine

plus its indoors i say we are more comfort to playing indoors when compared to playing that hot hell hole in miami

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 03:25 PM
the homer in me also thinks we can manhandle these saints : ) Its not like the saints have household name for weapons its all brees

Prepare to meet Jimmy 'Pain Train' Graham. To quote a guy on TigerDroppings: "He's like a redwood out there catching passes"

Colston is a well known stud, but thankfully for you guys, he's out.

if we can cut the head off the snake the "QB" then i think we can really Shut down there O there running game does not scare me at all i know harper is a good RB but he isnt all world

Roman Harper is a Safety. Our running backs are Pierre Thomas, Mark Ingram, and Darren "Who-Dat Gnat" Sproles. If Wade doesn't respect them before/during the game, he's in for a rude awakening.

and there D is not that good IMO if we can the texans of old u know the ones that throw up 20 points in the 1st and mid of the 2nd qtr then we should be fine

The jury is still out on our Defense. They got shredded in GB but played lights out against Chicago. This game will give a much better indication of their true potential. Personally I'm predicting the Texans don't break 28, but of course I am a Saints fan.

plus its indoors i say we are more comfort to playing indoors when compared to playing that hot hell hole in miami

Yeah, indoors at the Superdome, one of the most notoriously loud and hostile environments in football. Trust me, the location will not be to your advantage.

All said, it should be a great game. Lots of exciting plays on both sides of the ball and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go either way.

infantrycak
09-20-2011, 03:38 PM
[COLOR="Blue"]That goes against just about all conventional thought on the subject. Winning your division is the only sure way to get into the playoffs.

Well conventional thought is often wrong. Two years ago if we hadn't beat the Titans but had beat the Jets we would have been in the playoffs. Division record gets too much play. The Raiders were 6-0 last year in their division. I didn't see them in the playoffs. More often than not 10-6 gets you into the playoffs.

Section516
09-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Prepare to meet Jimmy 'Pain Train' Graham. To quote a guy on TigerDroppings: "He's like a redwood out there catching passes"

Colston is a well known stud, but thankfully for you guys, he's out.

Roman Harper is a Safety. Our running backs are Pierre Thomas, Mark Ingram, and Darren "Who-Dat Gnat" Sproles. If Wade doesn't respect them before/during the game, he's in for a rude awakening.

The jury is still out on our Defense. They got shredded in GB but played lights out against Chicago. This game will give a much better indication of their true potential. Personally I'm predicting the Texans don't break 28, but of course I am a Saints fan.

Yeah, indoors at the Superdome, one of the most notoriously loud and hostile environments in football. Trust me, the location will not be to your advantage.

All said, it should be a great game. Lots of exciting plays on both sides of the ball and I wouldn't be surprised to see it go either way.

Whoa, this guy needs to be around more often. He can decode Norg!

disaacks3
09-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Yeah, indoors at the Superdome, one of the most notoriously loud and hostile environments in football. Trust me, the location will not be to your advantage. Agreed with all but this part. I think you're misunderstanding the "conditions" comment. Yeah, it'll be LOUD as all get-out, but it won't be 95 degrees and muggy in the Superdome. I'm interested to see how fast Ben Tate looks on turf.

SaintRusty
09-20-2011, 04:03 PM

The trick is to imagine the punctuation :)

Brandon420tx
09-20-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm hoping Hartmann continues his kick booming performances with Touchbacks and good punts. Sproles scares the hell out of me

ArlingtonTexan
09-20-2011, 04:12 PM
No one asks who a team beats until it doesn't win enough games...i.e. more than anyone in your division. The first priority is to win as many as posible w/o regards to who and where.

Texas T
09-20-2011, 04:13 PM

I was thinking the same thing. With his explanations I acutally understood what Norg said!!

DocBar
09-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Well conventional thought is often wrong. Two years ago if we hadn't beat the Titans but had beat the Jets we would have been in the playoffs. Division record gets too much play. The Raiders were 6-0 last year in their division. I didn't see them in the playoffs. More often than not 10-6 gets you into the playoffs.That's true enough and there are always exceptions to the rule.

10-6 will usually get you into the playoffs. Winning your division definitely gets you in the playoffs. 31 teams are built around beating the teams in their division. One team, the Pats, is built around league domination, at least in the regular season.:D

DexmanC
09-20-2011, 06:17 PM
The Texans, under Kubiak, have yet to beat an upper-end good team
in the first 12 games of the season. They've got a handful of them
coming up. I've noticed the national media has this team as a footnote,
and is also waiting for them to actually beat good teams while it still
matters.

New Orleans, Pittsburgh, Baltimore.

Beat them, THEN I can believe.

Go 1-2, or worse, and it's "same 'ol Texans."

badboy
09-20-2011, 06:44 PM
We should compete well with NO and I predict a victory as I have since pre-season. It is the game plan that concerns me not the players. Joseph is the key imo.

infantrycak
09-20-2011, 08:21 PM
The Texans, under Kubiak, have yet to beat an upper-end good team
in the first 12 games of the season.

Silly assertion since we beat Indy last year week 1.

thunderkyss
09-21-2011, 09:35 AM
That's true enough and there are always exceptions to the rule.

10-6 will usually get you into the playoffs. Winning your division definitely gets you in the playoffs. 31 teams are built around beating the teams in their division. One team, the Pats, is built around league domination, at least in the regular season.:D

Winning the division, i.e. winning more games than your division opponents is the only guarantee to getting into the play-offs.

Sweeping the division, ala 2010 raiders..... not so much.

I'm pretty sure that is what infantcak is saying.

Mr teX
09-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Beat me to it.

DexmanC
09-21-2011, 11:10 AM

It's not a silly assertion at all. My point still stands, that fluke win against
Indy notwithstanding. This team just doesn't beat contending teams, while
it still matters (in general.) These next four games will tell me ALL I NEED TO
KNOW about this team. You know it, and rather than admit it, you chose to
attack me as if my assertions were "silly."

Maybe this team will prove me wrong, and you right, which will make us BOTH
happy.

infantrycak
09-21-2011, 11:43 AM
It's not a silly assertion at all. My point still stands, that fluke win against
Indy notwithstanding.

It is a silly assertion.

2010 we beat two playoff teams - Indy and KC.
2009 - Cinny, New England.
2008 - Miami, Tennessee + kept Chicago out of the playoffs.

Last year's champs - Philly, Jets, Chicago.

Teams don't get most of their wins against playoff teams.

Winning the division, i.e. winning more games than your division opponents is the only guarantee to getting into the play-offs.

Sweeping the division, ala 2010 raiders..... not so much.

I'm pretty sure that is what infantcak is saying.

Exactly. Division games are only important in tie scenarios. Win outright and they don't matter any more than any other game.

Mr teX
09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
It is a silly assertion.

2010 we beat two playoff teams - Indy and KC.
2009 - Cinny, New England.
2008 - Miami, Tennessee + kept Chicago out of the playoffs.

Last year's champs - Philly, Jets, Chicago.

Teams don't get most of their wins against playoff teams.

Exactly. Division games are only important in tie scenarios. Win outright and they don't matter any more than any other game.

edit: someone rep I-cak for me, i have to spread some yada yada..

rep & moreover it just comes down to beating teams you should beat ala "taking out the trash" as charlie pallilo says. That's one thing we've yet to consistently do either.

rush2112mn
09-21-2011, 02:17 PM

We all know about the Brees and the passing game, but the Saints also have a pretty solid running game this season. I bet Wade and the defensive staff are gonna lose some sleep this week. Hopefully JJo's ankle will be good enough to go on, because we're gonna need all hands on deck and probably stay in nickel the whole game. Mark Ingram and Pierre Thomas are the wild cards in this. Sean Payton might decide to see how good his running game is since we're sporting a new defense that is really getting after QB's. We just put 4 quarters of less than stellar run D on film and we have to respect the pass first and foremost, so Payton could very well use some draws and runs up the middle and take advantage of our lack of a true NT.

On defense, the Saints are as blitz happy as they come. We put 4 quarters of less than stellar blitz pickups on film today, especially in the 3rd quarter and early 4th. You can bet your azz that Gregg Williams will be throwing everything and the kitchen sink at us. If we're able to make the right adjustments and burn those blitzes a few times, we stand to make a game of it. If not, we're in for a long day. Hopefully, Kubiak will do what he did today and open it up when the Saints defense starts dictating our offense. We have playmakers on offense, so let them make plays and do what stars do: win football games.

I really think we can win this game. If we can burn them on blitzes a few times, our offense can hang with theirs.
What do y'all think?

Good topic....
When the schedule came out I thought the first 6 games would be a critical part. These next 4 are going to show what this team is made of for sure. I think they have a shot this week to win it. Anything can happen......

SaintRusty
09-21-2011, 02:34 PM
moreover it just comes down to beating teams you should beat ala "taking out the trash" as charlie pallilo says. That's one thing we've yet to consistently do either.

This is a good point. Looking at the Texans schedule, it's full of games in which I feel you all should be the favorite. That being said, the team still has to show up and play the game. For instance, last year the Saints lost to the Cards and Browns (at home no less!)...two games which I feel never should have been lost. Had that not happened, we would have been competing in the last game of the season for home field advantage and #1 seed overall, instead of coasting with a wildcard spot clinched. I'll end the speculation there, as I think the performance against the Seahawks speaks for itself...but it just goes to show every game is important, not just the "big" ones.

Norg
09-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Agreed with all but this part. I think you're misunderstanding the "conditions" comment. Yeah, it'll be LOUD as all get-out, but it won't be 95 degrees and muggy in the Superdome. I'm interested to see how fast Ben Tate looks on turf.

yeah thats what i meant : P

Doppelganger
09-21-2011, 05:05 PM
Indy notwithstanding. This team just doesn't beat contending teams, while
it still matters (in general.) These next four games will tell me ALL I NEED TO
KNOW about this team. You know it, and rather than admit it, you chose to
attack me as if my assertions were "silly."

Maybe this team will prove me wrong, and you right, which will make us BOTH
happy.

Not necessarily. The important games are division games. If the Texans sweep(and they have a very good chance to) the division, that would be 6 wins. Add in the Miami win and that is 7. If they can beat Cincy that's 8, Carolina is 9, and Cleveland is 10. 10 wins can get you into the playoffs without beating a quality opponent.

Doppelganger
09-21-2011, 05:06 PM
edit: someone rep I-cak for me, i have to spread some yada yada..

rep & moreover it just comes down to beating teams you should beat ala "taking out the trash" as charlie pallilo says. That's one thing we've yet to consistently do either.

Done. I completely agree with his points as well.

fiasco west
09-21-2011, 05:12 PM
I am terrified of Sproles.

We have two DE's starting as OLB and one ILB obviously not playing his best right now (Ryans). If we have to rely on safeties to stop the guy it will be already too late.

b0ng
09-21-2011, 05:26 PM
We are going to be geared to stop the pass first in this game and I believe at least 35 carries between our RBs. Gotta get consistent pressure on Brees and play mistake free on offense (like we did in Miami).

Big Smooth
09-21-2011, 05:33 PM
just checked my twitter feed and skip bayless said he wouldn't be shocked if the Texans lost their next 5 games (Saints, Steelers, Raiders, Ravens, and the Titans) :strangle:

Rey
09-21-2011, 06:05 PM
just checked my twitter feed and skip bayless said he wouldn't be shocked if the Texans lost their next 5 games (Saints, Steelers, Raiders, Ravens, and the Titans) :strangle:

Considering Skip Bayless is a clueless dumbass, I'd say that's a good thing.

thunderkyss
09-21-2011, 07:21 PM

Truth is, this is who we are.

I'm drinking the Koolaide & enjoying the sunshine, but this is what our team has done.

It's only my hope & love for this team that makes me believe it's going to be different.

Besides, I want to hear my team say, "Nobody gave us a chance." when they hoist that Lombardi.

TheMatrix31
09-21-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't want to hear that. I hate that inferiority complex stuff.

I'd rather hear them say "We won it because we know the suffering the Houston football scene has had to go through. We came out, and we did it. No fluff, nothing. We took care of business, and we're champions."

ObsiWan
09-21-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't want to hear that. I hate that inferiority complex stuff.

I'd rather hear them say "We won it because we know the suffering the Houston football scene has had to go through. We came out, and we did it. No fluff, nothing. We took care of business, and we're champions."

That part sounds even whinier to me.

Giant Tiger
09-21-2011, 10:14 PM

Sounds like he thinks we only won 3 or 4 games last year. Our defense was terrible, we had no turnovers & we found so many different ways to lose last year. There's no way possible to have all three of those happen again this year. Each of those cost us 2 games, so that's 6 right there. There's no reason we can't get 4 more wins this year.

Texan_Bill
09-21-2011, 10:21 PM

WHY????!?!

Why do you read anything Skip Bayless writes?? Seriously? The next time he's right about anything, will be THE FIRST TIME!! Dude's an asshat!

"Cold Pizza" was AWESOME!!! :rolleyes:

jaayteetx
09-21-2011, 10:25 PM
WHY????!?!

Why do you read anything Skip Bayless writes?? Seriously? The next time he's right about anything, will be THE FIRST TIME!! Dude's an asshat!

"Cold Pizza" was AWESOME!!! :rolleyes:

Yep, Skip Clueless more like it.

Kimmy
09-21-2011, 10:26 PM
I just called him Skip B!tchless in another thread lol