PDA

View Full Version : Plays or players that stand out to you vs Miami

badboy
09-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Well now I understand that old mantra "take one game at a time". I think Mario was very effective today as was Watt. I think JJ looked much better as a WR.

Trap_Star
09-18-2011, 07:25 PM
tate. he's showing us we don't have to be scared about not having arian.

Showtime100
09-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Tate, Watt, and Joseph. In Joseph's case as impressive as I felt he was, I was even more impressed when he was out. I wonder what the numbers where with him in/out of the game (still realizing there are 10 other guys out there).

Oh, and tackle of the day nominee, the stick Quinn laid down with Houston deep in their own territory. Cushing's hammering on Henne was fun too.

Ryan
09-18-2011, 07:32 PM
JJ Swatt!

badboy
09-18-2011, 07:39 PM
I think Dolphins were "battered" and fried.

TexanBacker93
09-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Tate, Watt, Hartmann, Joseph.

Tate - Runs hard. Hits the holes. Makes life easier if Arian misses more time.

Watt - Great motor. Gets his hands up. It's going to be scary as he improves.

Hartmann - Yeah, I know he's a punter, but he set a record for longest punt in Texans history and put them inside the 10 3 times and on the 12 once. His other 2 punts were from deep in our own territory and in years past would have meant they started at our 45. He also kicked into the end zone on each kickoff.

Joseph - Because we see how bad we could be if he's out. It forces Allen in and the only time he should be on the field is if we're in Quarters 6 deep prevent. even then I might feel safer with Mario as that 7th DB.

nytexan
09-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Quinn, Mario, Cushing, Manning, Wade Smith, Tate, our new punter Hartmann. I thought the kid had a great game today. 48 yard average and 2 inside the 10 yard line. Couldn't ask more of him today.

Schaub is going to have to bring his "A" game the next few weeks. He's been just good enough to win so far. Expect NO to blitz him big time after he showed zero mobility in the pocket today.

GP
1.) Troy Nolan.

Brandon Marshall was trying to stiff-arm Troy Nolan, and might have broken off a patented "Brandon Marshall highlight reel" play had it not been for Nolan very wisely grabbing the entire arm, with both hands, and using Marshall's stiff-arm against him.

I don't know if that's what coaches are teaching the guys, in any level of football, or if it was Nolan's instincts, but nevertheless it should be a taught technique NOW. He dragged Marshall down because of it. Even Brandon Marshall got up after the tackle and looked a bit perplexed that he was tackled by little Troy Nolan of the Texans. Agree?

2.) Brian Cushing.

He played himself out of stopping Thomas on one play. He didn't seal the backside edge, and he got blocked out of the play on a nice run by the Dolphins' RB.

With that play out of the way, however, I saw him making lots of stuffs in the middle. The 3rd and long play where Henne scrambles and Cushing just drills him in the back, stopping Henne dead cold from the 1st down marker was, IMO, the game-changing play that sealed it for us.

3.) Mario Williams.

Mario was being HELD so damn much, I was screaming at the TV. There was one play where he was held the whole way and the ref misses it the whole way. Or he would have sacked Henne.

Mario was pressuring Henne. He nipped Henne's arm on the pass play where J-Joseph intercepts the ball because of Mario's shot on Henne's arm.

4.) Schaub.

No "WTF???" moment for Schaub.

THAT is a good sign. No brain fart moments for him.

5.) AJ.

Uh, this is why I drafted him 6th overall in my FFL draft. He is a beast when he is targeted often. He loves playing the Dolphins. It's the residue of his Miami U days, I think. It lingers and he absorbs it out of the air and uses it for his strength and awesome talent against the Dolphins. He-Man.

The long catch over his shoulder, where he finger-tip catches it (in stride!) was Canton, OH Hall of Fame stuff. Period. HALL OF FAME STUFF.

6.) Ben "Kickin' Their Ass" Tate

He was a grinder today. He would bust through the LOS and with a slight "hip shift" while still running downhill he'd be gone for 5 or 6 or 9 yards.

The twisting, churning run on like 3rd and short was mind-boggling. With the camera angle I had on my TV, it looked like he went down juuust short of the marker...but he didn't. I was on the roof when they called "1st down!" after that play. Hit rewind just to see it again.

7.) Joe Marciano's special teams.

No "WTF?" moment there. Two straight games with solid ST play from Joe Ma's squad.

And a +1 to Kubiak for axing Maynard and bringing Hartmann back as the punter. We need the bigger leg of Hartmann's.

8.) Our two free agency acquisitions in the secondary.

No need to name them. You know who they are. They were near the ball, they were never soundly beaten on multiple plays like we had all last season.

badboy
Tate, Watt, Hartmann, Joseph.

Tate - Runs hard. Hits the holes. Makes life easier if Arian misses more time.

Watt - Great motor. Gets his hands up. It's going to be scary as he improves.

Hartmann - Yeah, I know he's a punter, but he set a record for longest punt in Texans history and put them inside the 10 3 times and on the 12 once. His other 2 punts were from deep in our own territory and in years past would have meant they started at our 45. He also kicked into the end zone on each kickoff.

Joseph - Because we see how bad we could be if he's out. It forces Allen in and the only time he should be on the field is if we're in Quarters 6 deep prevent. even then I might feel safer with Mario as that 7th DB.I could stand to see some more 69 yard punts. Could that be longest in Houston (Oilers included) history? I think so. I believe Hartmann will do better when he settles in. He has to be nervous after being cut then re-signed.

fiasco west
The 25yds gain that Ca-reem gave up to a 3rd string nobody that ultimately put the dolphins within 3; we were beating them down the entire game up until that game-changing play.

Lol wow. Obviously you root for the guy to fail. Don't get how fans can do that.

Any ways the defense overall for causing TOs. Each of those TOs were the reason we won the game so one for Mario and J.J for the deflection/INT and another for Kareem and Quinn for the FF and recovery. We don't get those we probably lose this game.

Ckw
09-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Good reasons: Tate, Jacoby, Mario, Cushing, Watt

Bad reasons: Winston & Duane Brown (both looked bad in pass protection), Schaub (looked rattled and isn't taking control of the game like he should), Shaun Cody/Earl Mitchell (RBs are able to just pound it up the middle on us), Demeco (did he even show up to the game today?)

fiasco west
09-18-2011, 07:54 PM
3.) Mario Williams.

Mario was being HELD so damn much, I was screaming at the TV. There was one play where he was held the whole way and the ref misses it the whole way. Or he would have sacked Henne.

Mario was pressuring Henne. He nipped Henne's arm on the pass play where J-Joseph intercepts the ball because of Mario's shot on Henne's arm.

This. I saw two times at least where it looked clear as day that he was being held.

beerlover
09-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Game ball Tate offense & Quin defense.

Corrosion
09-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Braman on special teams - twice.

First was the nice punt return by Jones. Braman got real close to blocking the punt then got himself back in the play earholed a would be tackler along the sidelines.

Next was on kick coverage I believe .... the returter brought it out from deep and was stopped inside the 10 - Braman in on the tackle.

badboy
09-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Quinn, Mario, Cushing, Manning, Wade Smith, Tate, our new punter Hartmann. I thought the kid had a great game today. 48 yard average and 2 inside the 10 yard line. Couldn't ask more of him today.

Schaub is going to have to bring his "A" game the next few weeks. He's been just good enough to win so far. Expect NO to blitz him big time after he showed zero mobility in the pocket today.Qb rating was 118 someone said with two TDs and no INTs. He did not force any throws either. I'll take this every game.

BigBull17
09-18-2011, 08:10 PM
You could tell when Mario went out, cause Reed isn't really ready. Got caught going to far inside and didn't hold the edge. Mario was held a bunch, and though he had no sacks, the pick was a great play by him.

Kareem had a solid game IMO. The catch on the sideline was a great play, that ended up being trumped by a great catch.

Quinn is pretty dominate at safety. He laid the wood and was very active.

This small nose tackle shit should be over. They have to go out and find a fat boy to clog the middle. Like mitchel a's a spell dt, but damn.

Smith & Watt are very good. Disruptive and active

badboy
09-18-2011, 08:13 PM
Ok, one that no one has mentioned; Gary Kubiak for not throwing red flag and listening to his ear piece. No time managment problems.

Kimmy
09-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Ok, one that no one has mentioned; Gary Kubiak for not throwing red flag and listening to his ear piece. No time managment problems.

LOL Gary is a given. Every Sunday! But thanks for the chuckle :)

Cjeremy635
09-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Tate, Watt, and Joseph. In Joseph's case as impressive as I felt he was, I was even more impressed when he was out. I wonder what the numbers where with him in/out of the game (still realizing there are 10 other guys out there).

Oh, and tackle of the day nominee, the stick Quinn laid down with Houston deep in their own territory. Cushing's hammering on Henne was fun too.

I agree with all of those for positives.

My negative was the offensive line with regards to pass blocking. Winston got his lunch money stolen today and Brown completely whiffed on a rush that resulted in a sack. They better get their shit together. I thought they did great run blocking.

Slaton sucks. He's a huge drop off from Foster & Tate and I just have no faith with him in the backfield.

buddyboy
09-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Positive: Schaub. I kept waiting for that one dumb pass that would inevitably end up in an interception. And it never happened!

Negative: Winston. He KILLED a drive with a holding penalty, seemed like his name was being called all game, which is a BAD thing to have when it's an offensive lineman.

TexanPulse
09-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Game ball Tate offense & Quin defense.

The stick Quin put on Thomas coming through the line was baller!

Cjeremy635
09-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Yes, that stick stands out in my mind too. He may be small, but the dude has some balls to get up in there and lay the wood on a solid RB. He impressed me on that play.

2slik4u
09-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Was I the only one that notices the difference in Kareem? The guy doesnt miss tackles, has been making some decent plays and in the first two games, hasnt been smoked like last year.

Not saying he is the best on the field because he isnt. Just saying, it looks night and day from where he was at last year.

Maybe good coaching and a pass rush actually do help our secondary.

gary
09-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Quin, Watt, Joseph, Tate, and Williams.

badboy
09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
I agree with all of those for positives.

My negative was the offensive line with regards to pass blocking. Winston got his lunch money stolen today and Brown completely whiffed on a rush that resulted in a sack. They better get their shit together. I thought they did great run blocking.

Slaton sucks. He's a huge drop off from Foster & Tate and I just have no faith with him in the backfield.Did you see his first play> He drifted throught the line and ran to the right & was wide open Matt did not see him and tok off to left. That would have been a good play. I think Matt is just not used to looking for SS.

Big Lou
09-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Braman on special teams - twice.

First was the nice punt return by Jones. Braman got real close to blocking the punt then got himself back in the play earholed a would be tackler along the sidelines.

Next was on kick coverage I believe .... the returter brought it out from deep and was stopped inside the 10 - Braman in on the tackle.

Was Braman the one that blocked two guys on a return? There was a return when two Fins were in pursuit close to one another and BOOM, somebody combo'd one guy into the other, freaking sweet!!!!!

srrono
09-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Was Braman the one that blocked two guys on a return? There was a return when two Fins were in pursuit close to one another and BOOM, somebody combo'd one guy into the other, freaking sweet!!!!!

i think it was number 50 brooks maybe just checked was Braman.

GP
09-18-2011, 09:02 PM
i think it was number 50 brooks maybe?

Reed is 58.

Braman is 50.

srrono
09-18-2011, 09:05 PM
[QUOTE=GP;1778751]Reed is 58.

Braman is 50.[/QUOT

thanks

ThaJokaa
09-18-2011, 09:09 PM
I thought Kareem did a good job today, he's getting better.

TexansForTheW
09-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Jonathan Joseph is the key to our defense. He competed with Marshall all game long. Jason Allen just didn't belong.

Cushing's hit on Henne was awesome. Stopped that drive cold. But the play of the game goes too.

Burnt toast(Kareem Jackson). That fumble saved the game. He actually looked like a decent corner today.

midgetonadonkey
09-18-2011, 09:18 PM

Anyone have video of this? I was at Bikinis here in SA and they had the Cowboys game on most of the TVs. I missed a lot of the game.

TdotTexas2Step
09-18-2011, 09:26 PM
A couple of things:

1. Williams was a beast today. He didn't get any sacks, but he caused a lot of disruption, forced double teams, and you might as well award that Joseph INT to him, he played great. His height played a factor in a couple of the tip balls as well.

2. I'm liking what Quin is giving us. A safety with corner instincts and can make tackles. I'd love to get him more involved in press situations and/or stopping the run the same way Green Bay uses Woodson.

3. This was the perfect game for Slaton to bust out and either solidify playing time on this roster or boost his trade value. He did neither.

4. Our offense needs to play like their backs are against the ropes at all times. Whether that's on the players or the coaching staff, something needs to be changed. It wasn't until the Dolphins were in striking distance did we finally look good on offense.

5. Most underrated play of the game for me was Manning's kick return on the Johnson TD drive. He wasn't just trying to juke people out, he hit people who tried to stop him, using that defensive player mentality. He got us great field position and helped set the tone for the eventual score.

Playmaker
09-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Demeco Ryans whiffing on a sure sack on Henne. And 1 tackle from your ILB and team captain. What's up with Demeco?

HJam72
09-18-2011, 09:36 PM
A couple of things:

1. Williams was a beast today. He didn't get any sacks, but he caused a lot of disruption, forced double teams, and you might as well award that Joseph INT to him, he played great. His height played a factor in a couple of the tip balls as well.

2. I'm liking what Quin is giving us. A safety with corner instincts and can make tackles. I'd love to get him more involved in press situations and/or stopping the run the same way Green Bay uses Woodson.

3. This was the perfect game for Slaton to bust out and either solidify playing time on this roster or boost his trade value. He did neither.

4. Our offense needs to play like their backs are against the ropes at all times. Whether that's on the players or the coaching staff, something needs to be changed. It wasn't until the Dolphins were in striking distance did we finally look good on offense.

5. Most underrated play of the game for me was Manning's kick return on the Johnson TD drive. He wasn't just trying to juke people out, he hit people who tried to stop him, using that defensive player mentality. He got us great field position and helped set the tone for the eventual score.

Just to give a picture of the flip side, our opponents might dejectedly learn to call that "clutch."

beerlover
09-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Demeco Ryans whiffing on a sure sack on Henne. And 1 tackle from your ILB and team captain. What's up with Demeco?

I'm hoping he just needs some time until his swagger & play-making return. Meanwhile Cushing is looking more comfortable inside, wonder how much DeMeco plays in the role of mentor?

buddyboy
09-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Yeah, was that on the 20 yard run by Henne? I just remember someone completely whiffing.

I also remember him hitting that MIA running back in the backfield but not being able to wrap up. Think that bionic arm is limiting him?

rush2112mn
09-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Well now I understand that old mantra "take one game at a time". I think Mario was very effective today as was Watt. I think JJ looked much better as a WR.

JJ Watt blocked field goal
Mario deflects pass that is intercepted
Andre Johnson Touchdown
Ben Tate coming in and rushing for over 100 yards

TexanPulse
09-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Anyone have video of this? I was at Bikinis here in SA and they had the Cowboys game on most of the TVs. I missed a lot of the game.

I hope someone can make an animated gif of it.

I honestly was like, "Holy sh!t...Was that Quin?!"

Rey
09-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Winston has to get better.

Watching the game I didn't feel like we pulled out all the stops. I think we beat them doing basic things on both sides of the ball.

It looked like we just rushed 4or 5 every time on defense and on offense I didn't see Casey used to create mismatches. Look like we just ran the ball well, kept it pretty basic and made the plays when we needed to.

I look for us to really show something against the saints. If you can beat a team without putting too much on tape that is great.

Lucky
09-18-2011, 11:12 PM
One thing that stands out to me is just having the poise to close out the game. The defense Kept Miami from picking up 1st downs on their last two drives. And the offense (finally) came up with a TD drive, then took 5 minutes off the clock with Tate and the running game.

The Texans are one of seven teams that are 2-0. They lead the league in scoring defense. That may all change after next week. But, it feels nice right now.

DocBar
09-19-2011, 06:34 AM
AJ dropping an easy over-the-shoulder catch late in the game. We should cut him if we can't trade him. I mean we did resign David Anderson and all...
:overreact:

Trail.Blazr
09-19-2011, 08:03 AM
I thought Kareem did a good job today, he's getting better.

Kareem did a great job with tackling in front of him. However, I saw same 'ol KJ with man coverage. I think the only reason he didn't get torched is his name wasn't Jason Allen.

I do recall one play where Kareem had tight coverage the entire route, but lacked awareness to use the sideline to his favor, where a simple push moves great catch OB. Still a loong way to go for a first rounder in his second season.

Marcus
09-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Wait a minute.....

Is someone here actually thinking that pressure up front makes it easier on the secondary?

Perish that sacriligeous thought right now. Those corners and safeties live in a vacuum, and let's not EVER forget that.

chicagotexan2
09-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Tate invoking his inner Campbell and blowing up a MIA db that tried to tackle him. That was nice to see.

Winston was being taken to school far too often and making costly penalties. That sucked.

thunderkyss
09-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Kudos to everyone in this thread. Lot's of good topics for discussion, beyond the "We're badass" kind of talk.

Keep it up.

I'd love to join in, but my memory doesn't work like that. I'll have to watch the game again before I can comment on specifics.

infantrycak
09-19-2011, 09:28 AM

Who is controlling the D? Cushing had the green dot radio helmet yesterday. Is DeMeco still in charge and if so why wouldn't he have the radio helmet?

gary
09-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Ryans and Dobbins did meet at the quarterback for a sack. That stood out to me.

Vinny
09-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I thought Brooks Reed played poorly when he came in for Mario. So far he hasn't impressed me much in the regular season. I was glad to see Barwin beat an pro bowler one on one. JJ Watt just keeps impressing me more and more.

Errant Hothy
09-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I thought Brooks Reed played poorly when he came in for Mario. So far he hasn't impressed me much in the regular season. I was glad to see Barwin beat an pro bowler one on one. JJ Watt just keeps impressing me more and more.

Outside of Watt I'm no longer expecting any of the rookie class to do much till after the bye, if at all.

As for you stood out yesterday. The D-line plus Mario and Barwin, Cushing looked the closest he has to his rookie year yesterday, Quin and Manning can tackle, Joseph will save Rick Smith's job, Kareem looked better and Casey continues to look like a hugely versitale threat at FB.

NitroGSXR
09-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm neither a debbie downer nor sunshiner.

JJ Watt's blocked FG was awesome but that was more of a piss-poor kick than anything else. Horribly low. I felt that their kicker overdid it by trying to kick it much higher than he needed to. As a result he missed again. That was a really bad kicker. I do love Watt's awareness of where the ball is at all times.

BigBull17
09-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Yeah, you could tell when Reed was in for Mario, cause the defense took a step back in a hurry. He is nowhere near ready.

Honoring Earl 34
09-19-2011, 12:06 PM

I do have some confidence that the defensive staff can put him in a place he can succeed . Mostly on the otherside of Mario where he can use his quickness and the rabbitt will come to him . Wade ain't no Smith or Bush but he'll do .

chicagotexan2
09-19-2011, 12:09 PM

I swear I did not notice Reed out there. I was wondering why he was sweating on the sideline. Seriously I thought it was just hot there.

noxiousdog
09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Who is controlling the D? Cushing had the green dot radio helmet yesterday. Is DeMeco still in charge and if so why wouldn't he have the radio helmet?

I'm also concerned about demeco. 1 tackle from an mlb is horrible.

I would assume cushing had the radio because sharpton and demeco are splitting time due to d's injury situation(s). I think I heard sharpton is playing every third series.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

El Tejano
09-19-2011, 12:29 PM
JJ Watt blocked field goal He just makes really good plays. I also believe that this block forced the miss afterwards.
Mario deflects pass that is intercepted he almost had another that was intercepted. After he deflected it, it bounced off another linemans head and went up in the air but Cushing couldn't find it in time. If he did, Cushing would've scored.
Andre Johnson Touchdown Almost had two, but it was a clutch TD that helped us win
Ben Tate coming in and rushing for over 100 yardsHe's been very nice to have!

I'm agreeing with you. Just quoted you because you had the same ideas as me.

I would also say that Kareem Jackson, who was making me mad, made up for alot of plays with being a run support CB who helped jarred the ball loose from Daniel Thomas. That play right there took out all of the steam from Miami. That RB was not the same after that.

We all say Quin's hit.

I will say that Antonio Smith looks worth all the money we paid for him. We are getting batted passes, sacks tackles and force fumbles from him.

HJam72
09-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah, you could tell when Reed was in for Mario, cause the defense took a step back in a hurry. He is nowhere near ready.

Who would have thought back all during the preseason that we'd say this now? It looked like Reed was ready for the Pro-Bowl and Mario needed to be traded ASAP. Dang, preseason is useless for a fan figuring out what the team's got. I figured Mario would be alright eventually, but, heck....game 1, BAM, Mario's good now and Reed ain't ready. WTF? I might have to stop watching preseason, cuz it's just played in another dimension.

BigBull17
09-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Who would have thought back all during the preseason that we'd say this now? It looked like Reed was ready for the Pro-Bowl and Mario needed to be traded ASAP. Dang, preseason is useless for a fan figuring out what the team's got. I figured Mario would be alright eventually, but, heck....game 1, BAM, Mario's good now and Reed ain't ready. WTF? I might have to stop watching preseason, cuz it's just played in another dimension.

I recall being one of the people telling the "Trade Mario " crowd to wait till you see Mario in Wade's full defense. They focused more on his linebacker duties. That's the part he had to learn.

TheCD
09-19-2011, 02:58 PM

JJ Watt's blocked FG was awesome but that was more of a piss-poor kick than anything else. Horribly low. I felt that their kicker overdid it by trying to kick it much higher than he needed to. As a result he missed again. That was a really bad kicker. I do love Watt's awareness of where the ball is at all times.

I come from the same school of thought as this in terms of QBs. I've always been taught that when a pass is batted at the line of scrimmage it's the QBs fault. Truth is, sometimes the defensive linemen make great plays. In the end it doesn't matter if the kick was low, JJ made the play, and because he made the play (as you said yourself), that caused the kicker to overcorrect and miss the next one.

Kicker's fault or not, I'll take the one play JJ made causing 6 points to stay off the board.

Joeycharp89
09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Allen did a great job of making Joseph look good. On a serious note I liked Joseph and Quinn that game, plus all the usual suspects (Andre, Mario, Watt). Daniels executed well in the red zone, but I felt Schaub was a little shaky with his decision making on certain plays.

Corrosion
09-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Allen did a great job of making Joseph look good. On a serious note I liked Joseph and Quinn that game, plus all the usual suspects (Andre, Mario, Watt). Daniels executed well in the red zone, but I felt Schaub was a little shaky with his decision making on certain plays.

I thought that for a while too mainly because they couldnt seem to finish a drive off or had them stall .... Then I realized that the penalties were what stalled the majority of those drives. And Schaub had pretty good numbers.

Would really have liked to see them execute better in the red zone and come away with TD's instead of FG's ..... Going to go back and rewatch those portions of the game to see what the problem was.

Joeycharp89
09-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I thought that for a while too mainly because they couldnt seem to finish a drive off or had them stall .... Then I realized that the penalties were what stalled the majority of those drives. And Schaub had pretty good numbers.

Would really have liked to see them execute better in the red zone and come away with TD's instead of FG's ..... Going to go back and rewatch those portions of the game to see what the problem was.

Ya I certainly wouldn't stretch out and say that Schaub had a bad game. It was a solid performance, but I've seen him play better.

I'm just glad the defense performed well today. Say what you want about coverage, but the Phins were held to one 2 TD and 2 Field goals (with 4 attempted). They really were the difference in the game.

Ole Miss Texan
09-19-2011, 03:49 PM
I think it's amazing that our offense doesn't have to play LIGHTS OUT just to have a chance to win the game. Who would have thought keeping the opposing team to under 30 points a game could help us win?? 13 is just downright awesome.

We're talking about Schaub going 21/29 for 230 Yds, 2 TDs and 0 INTs. Efficient mistake-free game. Had our RB go for another 100+ yard game. Won the turnover battle. That's some good solid football right there. Give me that every. single. sunday.

Vinny
09-19-2011, 05:32 PM
I swear I did not notice Reed out there. I was wondering why he was sweating on the sideline. Seriously I thought it was just hot there.One of his first plays he overpursued a run and I broke down the play with some HS linemen who were watching the game at my place. The back cut back over the LT and exploited the edge since nobody was there. Mario has been very patient setting that edge. Reed just looked like a rookie out there.

I'm also concerned about demeco. 1 tackle from an mlb is horrible.

I would assume cushing had the radio because sharpton and demeco are splitting time due to d's injury situation(s). I think I heard sharpton is playing every third series. I think Ryans has been in a lot of zone coverage so far. As much as the Saints like to spread it out, I think we will see Cushing impact the tackle line more than Ryans will. Ryans was effective shooting a few gaps on the blitz if you re-watch. Ryans has underutilized blitz skills but I think this staff will use him more as the season wears on. Sharpton isn't nearly the player Ryans is. I think he is a Jay Foreman type. Great reserve, but exploited once starting.

badboy
09-19-2011, 09:05 PM
One of his first plays he overpursued a run and I broke down the play with some HS linemen who were watching the game at my place. The back cut back over the LT and exploited the edge since nobody was there. Mario has been very patient setting that edge. Reed just looked like a rookie out there.

I think Ryans has been in a lot of zone coverage so far. As much as the Saints like to spread it out, I think we will see Cushing impact the tackle line more than Ryans will. Ryans was effective shooting a few gaps on the blitz if you re-watch. Ryans has underutilized blitz skills but I think this staff will use him more as the season wears on. Sharpton isn't nearly the player Ryans is. I think he is a Jay Foreman type. Great reserve, but exploited once starting.Foreman did pretty well tackling when with Houston. In 2002 had 106 and next season 101.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/ForeJa20.htm

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Sk Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Tkl Ast Sfty AV
1999 23 BUF 55 7 0 1
2000 24 BUF 55 15 3 1 0 0 0 0 36 19 3
2001 25 BUF RLB 55 16 16 2.5 1 0 2 0 0 69 28 5
2002 26 HOU LILB 56 16 16 0 0 0 0 8 1 0 0 0 0 106 36 9
2003 27 HOU LILB 56 16 16 2.0 0 0 0 0 5 1 0 2 33 0 101 35 8
2004 28 HOU LILB 56 11 11 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 3 0 53 26 5
2005 29 NYG 96 1 0 1 0 0
2006 30 SFO 51 2 0 0
Career 84 62 4.5 0 0 0 0 14 4 0 5 36 0 366 144 31
3 yrs BUF 38 19 2.5 2 0 2 0 0 105 47 9
3 yrs HOU 43 43 2.0 0 0 0 0 14 2 0 3 36 0 260 97 22

badboy
09-19-2011, 09:07 PM
I am really pleased with the improvement I saw in tackling. This is a basic that Houston rafrely does well and Phillips has to get credit for that. I'mconcerned we will not see good tackling against Saints. Did anyone see Brooks on ST? If so, how did he look?

TheGoldenGreek
09-20-2011, 12:09 AM
Cushing. He was just all over the field! It seemed like he was in on every tackle the Texans made. Not to mention that huge play where he stopped Henne just short of the first down to really wrap up the game. I really like what I've been seeing from Cush so far this year.

TheDream34
09-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Jason allen stood out for his complete suckitude performance, I mean for real I started laughing my ass off when Marshall made Allen his ***** on that touchdown catch

Rey
09-20-2011, 12:49 AM
I agree with vinny on Brooks reed. Still not sure why folks were willing to trade Mario and let him start. I really think Mario is going to be great there.

Arian didn't look like himself after that first run. Tate can make things happen if he gets in a seem.

Jacoby looked a lot more steady as a wr.

Winston has to do better or shammy could get banged up. Overall though, I was pleased with the overall performance of the line. The patriots tired them out and aired it out. We simply lined up and flat out beat them.

Nothing special, it just looked like a business trip. No frill, no flash. We just lined up and played ball.

I expect Casey to be a bigger part of the nawlins game. I think we will do a little more on defense to keep drew on his toes. I like the fact that we just chain ganged our way to victory because now, the saints don't really have a whole lot of film on the defense or how we can use Casey to create match up problems.

I think that a good showing and a victory against the saints and this damn city will become rabid for texans football. This one game could het the water testers to take their toes out and dive in. Win this game, take care of oakland, then merely split with Baltimore and Pitt and it will really be on.

infantrycak
09-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Foreman did pretty well tackling when with Houston. In 2002 had 106 and next season 101.

Yeah he made tackles but the question was where and the difference between him and Sharper was stark. Sharper attacked the LOS and made tackles + or - 2 yards from the LOS. Foreman let people through and then rode them down 5 yds past the LOS. Yes he was a good tackler but he wasn't a good ILB.

b0ng
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM

Actually he's a real good kicker. He had a bad game on Sunday that's all.

80tothezone
09-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Schaub did an excellent job given the pressure they put on him. Originally thought he had a bad day but given the situations he found himself in I think he played really well. Eric Winston got pwned....

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk