PDA

View Full Version : Are Texan's fan arrogantly too confident

GlenRice
09-16-2011, 07:30 PM
Last season season when we were two and zero, a lot of us (including me) were already planning a trip to dallas and not to mention everyone were saying how much great we are and how we were going to kick Dallas's ass in week 3. After Week 3 our mouth were shut or at least most of us and we went through another terrible, frustrating season. Now I feel like we haven't learned our lesson and continue to be arrogant. I love the Texans and I just want to see them in the playoffs. Remember humble wins, arrogant loses.

TheMatrix31
09-16-2011, 07:32 PM
There's no such thing as being "arrogantly too confident"

GlenRice
09-16-2011, 07:33 PM
There's no such thing as being "arrogantly too confident"

you must never seen the comment section on ESPN.

Showtime100
09-16-2011, 07:34 PM
In a word, no. I doubt any, few if any of us, go into gameday with no fears. We are proud of our team right now, but we haven't forgotten the past.

Ryan
09-16-2011, 07:34 PM
We're very modest compared to some teams fans i've seen by reading other forums, especially the Colts fans despite them likely being terrible this year.

Nothing wrong in being confident in your team though, it makes the season more enjoyable for alot of people.

PapaL
09-16-2011, 07:43 PM
With our track record, I go into every game thinking we could win and/or lose it. Not surprised either way anymore.

Brisco_County
09-16-2011, 07:44 PM
No.

dc_txtech
09-16-2011, 07:46 PM
I think even the biggest koolaid sippers have that little voice in the back of their head reminding them that this team has broken their heart before. It's a lot more fun for me personally to tell that little voice that he is stupid and the Texans are going to the Super Bowl.

:koolaid:

TexansFanatic
09-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_laq6exCEB41qzga0mo1_500.jpg

Texan_Bill
09-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Last season season when we were two and zero, a lot of us (including me) were already planning a trip to dallas and not to mention everyone were saying how much great we are and how we were going to kick Dallas's ass in week 3. After Week 3 our mouth were shut or at least most of us and we went through another terrible, frustrating season. Now I feel like we haven't learned our lesson and continue to be arrogant. I love the Texans and I just want to see them in the playoffs. Remember humble wins, arrogant loses.

Really? REALLY???? Last year we had NO defense! This year we have a defense that can at least rank in the top 15 -or- more importantly a helluva lot better than 30th(ish) like last season.

Ummmm :thinking: With regards to last season's plans to Dallas, that was pretty foolish, don't you think?? That said, I wouldn't make any arrangements to Indianoplis either. However, don't think for a minute that the Texans won't make the playoffs (barring any major injuries to the likes of Andre, Matt or DeMeco or Mario)!!!

Quit being::::

http://mikechristie.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/bobbummer.jpg

Corrosion
09-16-2011, 08:21 PM
SIAB needs to give this cat some lessons in communication .... At least we know whatever he did worked ....

SAMURAITEXAN
09-16-2011, 08:40 PM

I don't understand this. Why can't we be optimistic about the Texans as fans? Lesson learned? The most of us Texans' fans experienced ups and downs of this franchise(mostly downs). Right now, I am excited about how the Texans played against the Colts and this feeling is carrying over to the Fins game. I for one not consider to be arrogant fan but more positive and optimistic about our team than last year which is very exciting to me. So why not to be a glass half full of guy than a glass half empty guy.

Go Texans!!!

Thorn
09-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Re: Are Texan's fan arrogantly too confident

Tell me someone is kidding here. Or drinking. We are from Houston, land of the also rans and no accounts.

Please, Texans, do something about this. We are very VERY tired of being everyone's sports *****. The Astros and Rockets are going nowhere fast, you are our only hope.

GlassHalfFull
09-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Let us have our fun!!!

:glasshalffull:

GlenRice
09-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Why can't we be humble?

imatexan
09-16-2011, 08:58 PM
Why can't we be humble?

What does being humble as fans get us?

Either way if we are humble or not it is not going to affect the Texans play on the field.

:mariopalm:

nytexan
09-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Arrogantly Hopeful would be the phrase I'd use

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2011, 09:45 PM
I've been a fan of Houston football teams since the late 60's. I go into every game knowing we can lose.

I like to think I'm realistic. There have been a lot of seasons where I didn't expect much from my team.

This year I expect a lot from my team.

What's wrong with that?

But more importantly perhaps, what does it matter? The team is going to play as the team is going to play no matter what we, the fans, feel. There are many fanbases that are a lot more confident than this fanbase is.

Jackie Chiles
09-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Why can't we be humble?

I humbly request that you stop making weird posts. I also humbly request that you if you do make more weird posts at least make them halfway literate.

Mr. Texan
09-16-2011, 09:48 PM
as sports fans, the texans are all houston has for right now.

the rockets suck and will suck for awhile

the astros suck and will suck for awhile

the texans have sucked for the longest and is the only houston professional sports team that shows promise.

we deserve to be optimistic and confident.

badboy
09-16-2011, 10:03 PM
No, I don't think most fans are too confident though some may be arrogant. Sports and ego sort of go together especially when fans somehow transpose themselves into their sports heroes. Sort of a 12th man if you will (Dusty Rhodes).
I think of Texans fans as rather like Cubs fans of a few years ago.

fiasco west
09-16-2011, 10:06 PM
Is this the same Glen Rice that had relations with Sarah Palin?

Thorn
09-16-2011, 10:08 PM

Yes, but they were penalized for unnecessary contact.

Carr Bombed
09-16-2011, 10:27 PM

No, this is the one who wasn't arrogantly confident enough to make a move and hook up with her.

GlenRice
09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Being arrogant will come back and bite you on your ass but why do I have to suffer just because we root for the same team.

It's called KARMA. Look it up.

Carr Bombed
09-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Being arrogant will come back and bite you on your ass but why do I have to suffer just because we root for the same team.

LMAO, yep because all those years of being choir boys and biting our tongues sure as hell worked out in our favor huh? :rolleyes:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with confidence, confidence breeds success.

Houston had the confidence early last season, which is why they were able to gut out games like the Redskins game and the Chiefs game. However they didn't have the talent or coaching on the defensive side of the ball to stay afloat very long. Hell the whole damn boat sank and then all confidence dissipated shortly after. (see the horrific 2-8 slide)

GlenRice
09-16-2011, 10:39 PM
LMAO, yep because all those years of being choir boys and biting our tongues sure as hell worked out in our favor huh? :rolleyes:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with confidence, confidence breeds success.

Houston had the confidence early last season, which is why they were able to gut out games like the Redskins game and the Chiefs game. However they didn't have the talent or coaching on the defensive side of the ball to stay afloat very long. Hell the whole damn boat sank and then all confidence dissipated shortly after. (see the horrific 2-8 slide)

you're confusing fans confidence with team confidence.

I have no problem with team confidence, but as a fan you can't brag about your team if they haven't done ****, again it's bad karma.

Carr Bombed
09-16-2011, 10:39 PM
And here's another question..

What the hell does the arrogance and confidence of a "FAN BASE" have to remotely do with the play of a NFL Football team? We have ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL (outside of causing false starts) over what happens on the football field. (Karma...really?) This thread is silly.

Carr Bombed
09-16-2011, 10:41 PM

I have no problem with team confidence, but as a fan you can't brag about your team if they haven't done *******.

Please read above.

The Pencil Neck
09-16-2011, 10:41 PM

How naive.

Be sure to wear your lucky shirt when the game starts because, if we lose, you didn't do your rituals correctly and it's all your fault.

GlassHalfFull
09-16-2011, 10:44 PM

I have no problem with team confidence, but as a fan you can't brag about your team if they haven't done ****, again it's bad karma.

Trap Star, is that you??

Brakos??

Jackie Chiles
09-16-2011, 10:53 PM

So good karma = seeing some dumb posts on the ESPN comments page and coming here to take out your anger/frustration/embarrassment on us? Ah, BRILLIANT! If only you would have acted 10 years sooner, we would have won a couple Lombardi trophies for sure!

GlassHalfFull
09-16-2011, 10:55 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JWdI8aKt8dk/ThRkkgjlyvI/AAAAAAAAAUY/arLCIieDxNM/s400/DontFeedTheTroll.jpg

GlenRice
09-16-2011, 10:58 PM
It happened just last season JUST LAST SEASON for god sakes, I don't want the history repeating it self.

Carr Bombed
09-16-2011, 10:59 PM
It happened just last season JUST LAST SEASON for god sakes, I don't want the history repeating it self.

Oh lord. :mcnugget: This guy actually thinks we're the reason why the Texans collapsed last season.

http://www.wallclockslarge.net/wp-content/uploads/Coo-Coo-Clock1.gif

Back away, it's just a game.......just a game. And a game that we have NO control over.

Jackie Chiles
09-16-2011, 11:01 PM

While you are trying to control the uncontrollable you got any tips for how we can end the drought?

gary
09-16-2011, 11:04 PM
The Rockets are missing a piece or two but they don't suck just an FYI.

GlenRice
09-16-2011, 11:05 PM
I know a lot of you guys think I'm crazy but what do you got to lose. 10 years, lets get this. TEXAN FOR LIFE

dinkatoid
09-16-2011, 11:08 PM
As fans, isn't it our job to be confiedent? To believe in our team even when nobody else does? Like other people have said, we can not affect much of what happens on the field, but we can stand by and support the team.

GlenRice
09-16-2011, 11:09 PM
I've recently got this book from a spiritual friend and it has opened my mind in so many ways. Here is a link if intrested http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Karma-Richard-Lawrence/dp/0007107234.

You have no idea what you can control with your mind even the outcome of a game.

Carr Bombed
09-16-2011, 11:11 PM
I know a lot of you guys think I'm crazy but what do you got to lose. 10 years, lets get this. TEXAN FOR LIFE

Houston's fans didn't really have confidence until last season.....now tell me how the first 8 years went by not upsetting the balance of Karma?

And if you believe in Karma, then you need to walk right up to Karma and punch that bastard right in the face....because Karma OWES us a ****load after everything we've been through. After all the crap I've had to watch, I'm not asking for anything or pussyfoot'n around..I'm demanding it. F U Karma, it's time to pay out. :mad:

DBCooper
Hahahahahahahahhahahahaha!

I think I just threw up in my mouth!

GlenRice
As fans, isn't it our job to be confiedent? To believe in our team even when nobody else does? Like other people have said, we can not affect much of what happens on the field, but we can stand by and support the team.

Right on, I support this team no matter what but it's time to make that jump this year.

80tothezone
09-16-2011, 11:19 PM

It's different this year.... in years past we were confident despite glaring holes in our team. If u can take anything away from a win against the manningless colts it is that if our offense screws the pooch our defense has our back. Last yr we would have made collins look like breeze and been playing from behind most of the game... our st look good our D and O both look exceptional and I really don't see a fatal flaw like we have had in yrs past. Now will we win the big show? I dunno ... but we should make the playoffs simply because I don't really see how u stop us and our D should get better as time goes on ..... i'm calling it right here right now devision winners and we loose the afc title game to the jets and next yr ( with D with a yr under it's belt in the system) Aj and da boys put get engaged (rings on their fingers)...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Carr Bombed
I know a lot of you guys think I'm crazy

Well, I'll admit...I did have my suspicions.. but then

You have no idea what you can control with your mind even the outcome of a game.

You went and confirmed it. You seriously think you can control the outcome of a sporting event with your mind? Really. Wow.

This thread has now become epic.

Showtime100
No, I don't think most fans are too confident though some may be arrogant. Sports and ego sort of go together especially when fans somehow transpose themselves into their sports heroes. Sort of a 12th man if you will (Dusty Rhodes).
I think of Texans fans as rather like Cubs fans of a few years ago.

Go sit in the corner of the room for suggesting Texans fans are even the same species as Cubs fans. :D

Your thread was not a very good question, but IMO at least somewhat reasonable. Your posts since have led me to think your question was actually bait to start something. Arrogance and confidence are two entirely different things.

Any Houston sports fan worth his/her salt cannot be arrogant about the 2011 Texans unless they've had a lobotomy. You asked a question but it sounds like you didn't get the answer you wanted.

Mr. Texan
09-16-2011, 11:25 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HDGIUGm53K4/SL_XAcJjErI/AAAAAAAACoU/K16siWxiaY8/s400/sarah-palin-1.jpg

Grams
09-16-2011, 11:27 PM
A fan that is arrogantly too confident is a Cowgirl fan.
We have not even come close to that level yet.

Carr Bombed
09-16-2011, 11:28 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HDGIUGm53K4/SL_XAcJjErI/AAAAAAAACoU/K16siWxiaY8/s400/sarah-palin-1.jpg

Come on man, I know everybody thinks she's crazy, but still doesn't change the fact that you could've found a much MUCH BETTER picture. I almost negged you.

Mr. Texan
09-16-2011, 11:33 PM
i would have posted the lisa ann palin but i'm sure that's not appropriate :kitten:

Carr Bombed
09-16-2011, 11:34 PM
Hey Glen Rice, did you teach the "other" Glen Rice your Jedi mind tricks? Because it would certainly explain a lot. :)

DBCooper
09-16-2011, 11:35 PM
http://onemansblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/sarah-palin-hottie.jpg

Jackie Chiles
09-16-2011, 11:36 PM

GlenRice on the left:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22Tj_l4PcPs

GlenRice
09-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Mods need to close this thread, its full of bad karma. Matter effect close and delete this thread asap, it would take my Texans another ten years with these kind of attitudes.

I'm out, goodnight.

Showtime100
09-16-2011, 11:52 PM
Mods need to close this thread, its full of bad karma. Matter effect close and delete this thread asap, it would take my Texans another ten years with these kind of attitudes.

I'm out, goodnight.

This thread doesn't measure on a karma scale.

---Signed,
my 40+ years as a Houston sports fan.

Pretty arrogant to think your little thread can be that important IMO. :D

Matter effect? wtf?

Carr Bombed
09-16-2011, 11:54 PM

I'm out, goodnight.

Apparently somebody has never been to a Patriots' board. Think Red Sox fans with more success. :rolleyes: Have you ever talked to a Steelers fan?

Climb out of your tree house and extinguish the doobie.

DBCooper
09-16-2011, 11:54 PM

I'm out, goodnight.

So, we're going to lose because we think we are going to win, but the power of positive thought is going to make us win?

How the hell did you bang Sarah Palin with logic like that?

Mr. Texan
09-17-2011, 12:18 AM
i wish that karma thing would have worked during the 2005 world series

MEGA SWATT
09-17-2011, 12:21 AM
NOPE.

NEXT TOPIC.:clap:

Playoffs
09-17-2011, 01:30 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/voltagediamond/ThreadFail.jpg

ThaShark316
09-17-2011, 01:33 AM
*sees name of OP...*

I know that dude...

*not shocked*

Allstar
09-17-2011, 03:24 AM
I can only assume this is the same GlenRice from Clutchfans. I'm not surprised at all.

ThaShark316
09-17-2011, 03:45 AM
I can only assume this is the same GlenRice from Clutchfans. I'm not surprised at all.

Exactly what I'm saying.

TheMatrix31
09-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Even if we have no control over the outcome of the games on the field, it's best to have a good, classy, smart fanbase.

We don't want to be Laker fans.

Patriotsmuse
09-17-2011, 04:10 AM
Dearest Mr. Rice,

43 years

Saints fans waited 43 years to win the Superbowl!
I assure you they were each both arrogant and too confident as fans of a team where many years we wore bags over our heads. We wore the bags both with an air of arrogance and a swagger of confidence.

NEVER HUMBLE!

No Mr. RICE it is the fans solemn obligation to believe like Peter pan and Tinker bell. :clap:our hands, stomp our feet and do the CRUNK!

Texans will be Superbowl winners someday because fans were full up to their ears with cockiness!

Yours arrogant and too confident ,
Saints Fan for Life and Texans Fan believer.

XI CMURDER IX
09-17-2011, 06:07 AM
GLEN RICE!?!?!? Is that really you!?!? Could you ask Palin if she could see Russia from on top of you for me? Please!

TheMatrix31
09-17-2011, 06:35 AM
GLEN RICE!?!?!? Is that really you!?!? Could you ask Palin if she could see Russia from on top of you for me? Please!

Might wanna ask Tina Fey that one, since she's the one who actually said that.

HJam72
09-17-2011, 07:28 AM
Not all of us are arrogant and overconfident. I for one am arrogant and insecure. So there. :)

GuerillaBlack
09-17-2011, 08:33 AM
as sports fans, the texans are all houston has for right now.

the rockets suck and will suck for awhile

the astros suck and will suck for awhile

the texans have sucked for the longest and is the only houston professional sports team that shows promise.

we deserve to be optimistic and confident.

Do people follow the Rockets here? They had a record better than .500 while rebuilding. Everyone except for Scola, Hayes, and Martin (the last two in their late 20s) is young (all players under 25 years old). Come on. Texans are the bright spot now though, but Rockets will be good pretty soon, and I mean real soon.

GlenRice
09-17-2011, 09:44 AM

Funny how CF was one of the reasons I made this thread. We have one the biggest fair whether fans over there. It's comical to say the least.

I don't know if you remember but last year we had a poster who predicted 6-10 for the texans last season. Of course when have fair whether fans it could get really ugly. The dude got destroyed. When the Texans started 2-0 everyone was jawing out him. What happened through out that season was karma working his magic.

The Cush
09-17-2011, 10:09 AM

We as fans aren't the ones playing the games so what does it matter if the fans are arrogant or not? You don't see Herm Edwards, Trey Wingo, and Teddy Bruschi breaking down a Texans loss and saying "You know what, they had a big win last week and you can just tell the fans were too confident. They over-looked the Dolphins on the forums, I didn't see the accustomed massively long threads trying to analyze 2 separate plays from the previous game, instead I saw threads over is Reggie Bush swoll or not (shows picture of Reggie and Herm chimes in...COME ONNN MANNNNN). The fans need a dose of humility, maybe when in their seats at the games,how bout they not cheer as vigorously whenever the Texans score a touchdown or make a big play on defense. And after the games, how bout those fans not call-in the radio shows to applaud the effort and spend more time on You-tube breaking down film then perhaps the TEAM, you know the guys that actually set foot on the field, can finally make it to the playoffs." This segways into a 7 minute piece on the latest Twitter fued where Teddy rips Ocho Cinco's excessive use of hash tags.

The Cush
09-17-2011, 10:29 AM

Is this the same guy that dropped out of DeVry after making a thread announcing his acceptance into the program or am I confusing that with another infamous poster on CF

Mr. Texan
09-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Do people follow the Rockets here? They had a record better than .500 while rebuilding. Everyone except for Scola, Hayes, and Martin (the last two in their late 20s) is young (all players under 25 years old). Come on. Texans are the bright spot now though, but Rockets will be good pretty soon, and I mean real soon.

we lost adelman.

we have no superstar.

we have a 6-6 center.

we won't be competitive in the west for awhile.

Dutchrudder
09-17-2011, 10:38 AM

I'm out, goodnight.

Your head is in the right place, but you have the wrong method. Prayer is much more powerful than karma. The Texans consistently lose because the other team out-prays us! If we as a fanbase devoted more time to praying for the Texans to win each week, they would have won a Superbowl by now. How do you think the Saints won theirs? After Katrina they all became religious and prayed for a Superbowl. How do you think Miami got Lebron to tuck tail and run? Only god could make him give up and play second fiddle to Wade.

The recent success of the Texans can be directly correlated to Rick Perrys prayer day at Reliant. He asked god to bless Houston and now we are reaping the rewards! It's indisputable! So there, my dogma just ran over your karma.

Dutchrudder
09-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Might wanna ask Tina Fey that one, since she's the one who actually said that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGSJCDw3ZBw

gary
09-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Do people follow the Rockets here? They had a record better than .500 while rebuilding. Everyone except for Scola, Hayes, and Martin (the last two in their late 20s) is young (all players under 25 years old). Come on. Texans are the bright spot now though, but Rockets will be good pretty soon, and I mean real soon.Gotta agree with you man sometimes even I wonder myself. REPPED. EDIT I must spread the rep around but I tried someone else please rep GB for me. Thanks.

fiasco west
09-17-2011, 12:51 PM
we lost adelman.

we have no superstar.

we have a 6-6 center.

I don't want to turn this into a Rocket thread but it was past time Adelman and the Rockets separate if you ask me.

Besides people are saying they are missing a few pieces. Which is exactly what you mentioned, a legit center and a superstar. Although I think Lowry is going to be a top 10 PG in the NBA for the rest of his career, he stepped up big time and I think the Morris pick will really pay off.

Point is they are competitive, they certainly aren't the Twolves of the West and no one is saying they are contenders. All they are really missing is a superstar player and that can be said for a lot of teams. They aren't easy to acquire.

gary
09-17-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't want to turn this into a Rocket thread but it was past time Adelman and the Rockets separate if you ask me.

Besides people are saying they are missing a few pieces. Which is exactly what you mentioned, a legit center and a superstar. Although I think Lowry is going to be a top 10 PG in the NBA for the rest of his career, he stepped up big time and I think the Morris pick will really pay off.

Point is they are competitive, they certainly aren't the Twolves of the West and no one is saying they are contenders. All they are really missing is a superstar player and that can be said for a lot of teams. They aren't easy to acquire.Word.:clap:

Allstar
09-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Is this the same guy that dropped out of DeVry after making a thread announcing his acceptance into the program or am I confusing that with another infamous poster on CF

Yep. His heart's in the right place though.

Playmaker
09-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Why do fans ask other fans to control their behaviour and thoughts? We're fans! We're suppose to show our enthusiasm for our team. Karma? Texans fans have better things to worry about than karma, like getting out the stadium early enough to beat the traffic...(I'm just ribbing on the last part).

The Pencil Neck
09-17-2011, 01:32 PM

Actually, after looking at this again, let me say this about that.

Check your premises. Because you have a misconception.

beerlover
09-17-2011, 01:48 PM
http://www.pacificsandiego.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/ArrogantBastard.jpg

NitroGSXR
09-17-2011, 01:55 PM
Holy neg batman, TexansTalk!!! Have a positive on me, Glen Rice. I don't agree with your thinking but I don't think you're a troll.

Carr Bombed
09-17-2011, 03:51 PM
Even if we have no control over the outcome of the games on the field, it's best to have a good, classy, smart fanbase.

We don't want to be Laker fans.

Actually I would love to be like a Laker's fan. Their team averages a championship title about every 4 years.

Carr Bombed
09-17-2011, 04:00 PM
we lost adelman.

we have no superstar.

we have a 6-6 center.

Rockets will be fine....and they'll be competitive A LOT faster than you think. Yao's money is off the books. They have PLENTY of money to fix their holes and with the talent and depth they have, they have PLENTY of flexibility to make other moves too.

The Rockets are a quality ran organization....Astros on the other hand. Not so much.

TheMatrix31
09-17-2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGSJCDw3ZBw

That is not nearly the same thing as what Tina Fey has everyone convinced she said.

TheMatrix31
09-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Actually I would love to be like a Laker's fan. Their team averages a championship title about every 4 years.

You could offer me all the championships in the world. There is no ****ing way, EVER, EVER, that I would be a Laker fan. The arrogance, insecurity, foolishness, and overall disgusting nature of Laker fans makes me say that I'd rather die championship-less than ever even consider any sense of positive feeling towards that team. They are easily the worst fan base in all of American professional sports.

U.G.H.

Mr. Texan
09-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Rockets will be fine....and they'll be competitive A LOT faster than you think. Yao's money is off the books. They have PLENTY of money to fix their holes and with the talent and depth they have, they have PLENTY of flexibility to make other moves too.

The Rockets are a quality ran organization....Astros on the other hand. Not so much.

you still need a superstar and one is not gong to fall into our lap unless we win the draft lottery. a team of almost all-stars as the core will not make much of a contender to win the west. you can try to add bubble gum to a leaking boat but it won't completely fix the problem.

i'm still not sold on kevin mchale as a head coach.

i feel adelman maximized the potential out of the rockets.

Doppelganger
09-17-2011, 06:13 PM
you still need a superstar and one is not gong to fall into our lap unless we win the draft lottery. a team of almost all-stars as the core will not make much of a contender to win the west. you can try to add bubble gum to a leaking boat but it won't completely fix the problem.

Maybe that is the point. Adelman's teams were too good to be high lottery picks. Maybe McHale will lead this team into the promised land by getting a high lottery pick and potential superstar.

Mr. Texan
09-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Maybe that is the point. Adelman's teams were too good to be high lottery picks. Maybe McHale will lead this team into the promised land by getting a high lottery pick and potential superstar.

that's what i hope but even then, say we tank this upcoming season and get a top pick it's going to take that pick a couple of years to become a real deal superstar, and build a good supporting cast around him.

gary
09-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Way off topic, but will there be an NBA Draft if there is not a season?

Allstar
09-17-2011, 06:46 PM

Yes.

gary
09-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Yes.Thanks.

Showtime100
09-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Texans fans are arrogantly too confident.

:D Kidding. This thread is more interesting now.

Carr Bombed
09-17-2011, 07:01 PM

Yes and we have the cap space and the resources to acquire one. The draft isn't the only way to add a superstar to your team.

Also a team that's solid all around can go a LOT further than you think, teams like that have reached the conference finals and even won a title before.

The Rockets are not a crap team and the future is on the upswing with them. They already have a leg up on the conference rebuilding wise, while teams like the Lakers, Spurs, and Mavericks will all be winding down due to age. They will be in the playoffs next season as long as McHale doesn't fall on his face.

Mr. Texan
09-17-2011, 07:13 PM
Yes and we have the cap space and the resources to acquire one. The draft isn't the only way to add a superstar to your team.

Also a team that's solid all around can go a LOT further than you think, teams like that have reached the conference finals and even won a title before.

The Rockets are not a crap team and the future is on the upswing with them. They already have a leg up on the conference rebuilding wise, while teams like the Lakers, Spurs, and Mavericks will all be winding down due to age. They will be in the playoffs next season as long as McHale doesn't fall on his face.

but we're not solid all around.

last year we were all O and little defense.

i never said they were a crap team. they're good enough to not be the worst team in the west but not good enough to really contend to win the west.

gary
09-17-2011, 07:23 PM
but we're not solid all around.

last year we were all O and little defense.

i never said they were a crap team. they're good enough to not be the worst team in the west but not good enough to really contend to win the west.Adding a center like NeNe or Gasol would go a long way to change that.

Mr. Texan
09-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Adding a center like NeNe or Gasol would go a long way to change that.

it would help but we still need a perimeter defender (since we got rid of battier) to put on the kobe's and the durant's, and maybe even another big body off the bench behind either of those 2.

Rey
09-17-2011, 07:56 PM
it would help but we still need a perimeter defender (since we got rid of battier) to put on the kobe's and the durant's, and maybe even another big body off the bench behind either of those 2.

The rockets have courtney lee and Terrence Williams. They just drafted morris. Lowry is a good perimeter defender. Right now, chase is the starter. I highly doubt the rockets will add another guy simply for defensive purposes when they have so much youth and bodies there now.

Maybe a trade where they get a complete upgrade, but perimeter defense hasn't been our problem. Our problem has been lack of height inside and the ability to block or change inside shots.

Mr. Texan
09-17-2011, 07:59 PM
The rockets have courtney lee and Terrence Williams. They just drafted morris. Lowry is a good perimeter defender. Right now, chase is the starter. I highly doubt the rockets will add another guy simply for defensive purposes when they have so much youth and bodies there now.

Maybe a trade where they get a complete upgrade, but perimeter defense hasn't been our problem. Our problem has been lack of height inside and the ability to block or change inside shots.

courtney lee is our backup sg. terrence williams can't even crack the rotation.

we need a starting defensive sf (c-bud aint gonna cut it). we need someone that can start and cover up kevin martin's lack of defense.

without strong perimeter defenders. opposing guards and sf's will blow by and get in the paint with ease and possibly get our big men in foul trouble.

Allstar
09-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Morey is doing a nice job of setting us up to compete, but also to make a huge move next summer. We have options on Flynn, Hill, Bud, and Thabeet after this season. We got rid of Miller's albatross contract. Scola and/or Martin could probably be moved pretty easily to a contender if we are just looking to clear cap space, and all of our other contracts are pretty affordable.

fiasco west
09-17-2011, 08:21 PM
If you are going to rebuild you need a young hungry coach to rebuild with. Thats my only issue with Adelman, great coach but if you look at a lot of 'Rebuilding' teams across all sports they have young coaches.

Now I'm not sure that McHale is the right guy but we'll see. He's definitely a young coach with tons to prove.

As for the SF spot. I really think Morris is starting by the end of the year. Morey always hits on his draft picks and don't forget they drafted a 7-footer Donatie Motiejunas (sp?) who may or may not work out.

As for perimeter defending. Lee and Lowry are great defenders, it's Martin who is always the problem, you live and die with his defense. Any ways Rockets will be alright this upcoming year and you never know what Morey is cooking up trade-wise.

badboy
09-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Point is they are competitive, they certainly aren't the Twolves of the West and no one is saying they are contenders. All they are really missing is a superstar player and that can be said for a lot of teams. They aren't easy to acquire.Oh go ahead with a Rockets thread. Can't one anywhere else. Rockets were 4 games over 500 and you say they were competitive? Just messing with you.

badboy
09-17-2011, 08:46 PM

The Rockets are a quality ran organization....Astros on the other hand. Not so much.A lot of money and nothing to do with it.

badboy
09-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Maybe that is the point. Adelman's teams were too good to be high lottery picks. Maybe McHale will lead this team into the promised land by getting a high lottery pick and potential superstar.Such as who? In the 2012 draft (a season away) who is a potential super star at a position we need?

badboy
09-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Morey is doing a nice job of setting us up to compete, but also to make a huge move next summer. We have options on Flynn, Hill, Bud, and Thabeet after this season. We got rid of Miller's albatross contract. Scola and/or Martin could probably be moved pretty easily to a contender if we are just looking to clear cap space, and all of our other contracts are pretty affordable.Not trying to pick a fight with anyone but I am really depressed over Rocket's future. Other than a trade for Howard which is remote who is availabe at free agency?
I and other have debated this on the basketball forum but am willing to take this up over there if anyone is interested.

Carr Bombed
09-17-2011, 08:56 PM
A lot of money and nothing to do with it.

How so? Les has always shown he'll spend money or make trades to bring in a premier player. People need to relax, there will be a big move coming as soon as operations begin again. Which sadly could be next season.

Carr Bombed
09-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Not trying to pick a fight with anyone but I am really depressed over Rocket's future. Other than a trade for Howard which is remote who is availabe at free agency?
I and other have debated this on the basketball forum but am willing to take this up over there if anyone is interested.

Nobody could possibly know who's available right now? Players are locked out and G.M.s don't even have their rosters together. We won't know who's really available until around the trade deadline when the season starts again.

If you look at how things are going to shape in the West over the next few seasons, Houston's in a good spot. All the elite teams are aging and will fall back to them. OKC is the only team that you can tell will be clearly better.

gary
09-17-2011, 09:00 PM
How so? Les has always shown he'll spend money or make trades to bring in a premier player. People need to relax, there will be a big move coming as soon as operations begin again. Which sadly could be next season.This.

Allstar
09-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Such as who? In the 2012 draft (a season away) who is a potential super star at a position we need?
It doesn't matter if it's a position we need. If you can nab a superstar, you take him.
Not trying to pick a fight with anyone but I am really depressed over Rocket's future. Other than a trade for Howard which is remote who is availabe at free agency?

I believe Howard, CP3 and DWill are all set to be FAs.

houstonspartan
09-18-2011, 12:36 AM
This thread is dumb

MEGA SWATT
09-18-2011, 11:15 AM

I would love to believe that, but you need a star(s) in the NBA and the Rox have none!. They have a few great players and young athletic, fun to watch players but the league is built on having at least 1 star player. Pl don't tell me about the Heat b/c they have 1 title with D-whistle and the Diesel so they've proven that formula works,............ currently CB is not a star and DW is getting older, and Le-choke is well, le-choke.......... think Lakers with GP and the mailman-failure. Holy run-on sentence batman.

gary
09-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Superstars are not as ripe and rich in the NBA as they are in the NFL, so who would you like the Rockets to sign? Maybe Howard next summer if they are fortunate enough but that's it.

TheMatrix31
09-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Tons of superstars in the NBA that are ripe and rich. The NBA is LOADED with young talent. Problem is they're all colluding with one another to try and go to NY, Miami, Chicago, LA, Boston, NJ, or Dallas. I'm not sure Houston fits prominently in their plans, despite the good money and management.

But I suppose a discussion like this should be in the NBA forum anyway, lol.

Thorn
09-18-2011, 02:55 PM
If going into each game knowing that the Texans have all the talent they need to win is arrogance, then I'm arrogant.