PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton

DocBar
09-11-2011, 06:18 PM
I was seriously expecting this guy to be a complete joke, but he's come out of the gate on FIRE!! 23/33 418 yds with 1:30 left. Hell of a start to your NFL career.LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/live/NFL_20110911_CAR@ARI)

Ryan
09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
He's just like VY, all he does is win! ;)

FirstTexansFan
09-11-2011, 06:33 PM

No, he actually stays in the pocket, thinks pass first, run second... not VY :)

JCTexan
09-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Except Carolina lost? :secret:

Air Canada
09-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Except Carolina lost? :secret:

Oh wait, my bad... you lost.. haha :pop:

Brandon420tx
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
I watched the game, he played very very well, his number are slightly inflated because he got some long completions against blown coverages, but he was very good, he even made Brandon LaFell look great

ObsiWan
09-11-2011, 08:25 PM
I'm watching the highlights and I watched the NFLN RedZone coverage of Newton. The boy has a rifle. If they get him some talent @ WR, Carolina may turn around in short order.

DocBar
09-11-2011, 08:34 PM
Except Carolina lost? :secret:Yeah they lost, but Newton was lights out. He absolutely obliterated Payton Manning's record performance for a rookie. By more than 120 passing yds. That was an impressive 1st game. I wonder how he'll do against an actual NFL team. :htown2atx:

kiwitexansfan
09-11-2011, 09:43 PM
To all those who participated in the mock drafts in the offseason and knocked Cam and my favour of him as something special..... you forgiven.

:kitten:

:boogie:

burro
09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Yeah they lost, but Newton was lights out. He absolutely obliterated Payton Manning's record performance for a rookie. By more than 120 passing yds. That was an impressive 1st game. I wonder how he'll do against an actual NFL team. :htown2atx:

We'll find out Week 15. :fans:

edo783
09-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Seems to me that if he is chucking it for 422 yards, that the other team needs a bit more pass defense.

GuerillaBlack
09-11-2011, 10:47 PM
Always knew Cam Newton had it in him. Listen to the guy speak. He'll play on gameday.

bah007
09-11-2011, 11:49 PM
I'm not gonna make my final judgement after one game against a bad defense, but I was definitely impressed.

I was probably one of Newton's toughtest critics leading up to the draft, but if he proves me wrong I will eat some crow.

Great game for the kid.

Vinny
09-12-2011, 08:28 AM
I don't see how people just hate on guys before they play. Newton was awesome, special, incredible. Very excited for the league, and for the Panthers.

ubecool454
09-12-2011, 08:30 AM

cam is not quite like VY. Cam does have the ability to throw a nice pass.

Blake
09-12-2011, 08:30 AM
I don't see how people just hate on guys before they play. Newton was awesome, special, incredible. Very excited for the league, and for the Panthers.

He wont look so special in 4 weeks when DC's have enough game tape on him to predict and trend his passes.

Vinny
09-12-2011, 08:31 AM
He wont look so special in 4 weeks when DC's have enough game tape on him to predict and trend his passes.
haters gotta hate I guess. What he did yesterday was very, very special.

ubecool454
09-12-2011, 08:32 AM
I was seriously expecting this guy to be a complete joke, but he's come out of the gate on FIRE!! 23/33 418 yds with 1:30 left. Hell of a start to your NFL career.LINK (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/gametracker/live/NFL_20110911_CAR@ARI)

Big buy with a dark tan......has to be a joke.

Blake
09-12-2011, 08:34 AM
haters gotta hate I guess. What he did yesterday was very, very special.

Not hating. Just not getting on the Cam bandwagon before I feel it is legit.

bah007
09-12-2011, 10:54 AM

Some people definitely hate him. But a lot of people were just wary of how his skill set would translate to the NFL. I have nothing against the guy. I have actually seen the guy workout in person and I can tell you that, from what I saw that day, I have never seen a better work ethic. That's why his teammates are drawn to him. And I think that is his best quality. Teammates play harder for him because they can see how hard he is playing for them.

His first game was amazing. Nobody can doubt that. But the same things that worried me about him leading up to the draft are still there.

First, his accuracy is inconsistent. He will throw an impeccable pass on one play and then the next two plays he wildly overthrows his receiver. Luckily, his WRs and TEs bailed him out against Arizona. Those guys were making leaping, diving catches that normally would have ended up as incomplete passes.

Second, his football IQ is lower than I would like for a NFL QB. It was perfectly fine for college, but the league is a whole different level. The Panthers were able to effectively hide this deficiency with the way they called the game for him. And as long as they continue to put him in that situation he will be fine. But if they start asking him to diagnose coverages, make multiple reads, or give him the power to audible out of the play I think that will put him in trouble. If they start to complicate things I think he will become less effective. If they can keep it simple for him, but still make it difficult for the defense, I think he will be very, very successful.

And I'm not saying that he can't improve in these areas, because he can.

Vinny
09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Second, his football IQ is lower than I would like for a NFL QB. It was perfectly fine for college, but the league is a whole different level.
The way he extended plays, kept his eyes up the field, and how he took great angles and knew how to avoid bad situations makes me think his 'football IQ" is just fine. Guys with bad 'FB IQ' are guys who look like Alex Smith and David Carr.

bah007
09-12-2011, 11:02 AM
The way he extended plays, kept his eyes up the field, and how he took great angles and knew how to avoid bad situations makes me think his 'football IQ" is just fine. Guys with bad 'FB IQ' are guys who look like Alex Smith and David Carr.

I agree. But even David Carr had a great game here and there. It was all the other games that became the problem.

chicagotexan2
09-12-2011, 01:36 PM

Yeah I know it's only one game but he looked really good. I know he won't have all games like this but he looked liked he was going through proggesions. If he turns out to be a good pro he'll shut me up as a doubter. If...........

Norg
09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
i knew he would be good have u seen this dude hes like a Freak like 6 foot something like a lean 190

i know hes still learning how to pass in the NFL but when he takes off to run he burns fools and does not slide LOL

Playoffs
09-12-2011, 02:37 PM
IMO, Steve Smith is just fantastic. I bet he was in Cam's ear every huddle, and Cam listened. Dude is tiny, but tough as nails and probably has more determination than anyone between the lines.

Darn good first outing for Cam.

Brandon420tx
09-12-2011, 03:15 PM
I think people are sullied on Cam Newton because of the failures of Jamarcus Russel, and Vince Young, and to a much lesser extent earlier Mike Vick. The difference between Russell/Young and Cam is Newton can actually throw a ball (and has good work ethic + the respect of his team/is a leader), and the difference between Cam and Mike is Newton doesn't just look at his first read, decide its a wash, then run the ball, or just run the ball first chance he gets. This is evident by the fact that half of the Cards sacks against him were coverage sacks when the pocket finally broke down, and Cam didn't have enough time to escape (he got back to or close to the line of scrimmage a few times though)

People see a QB who made a name for himself with his legs and big arm and they automatically assume defense are going to shut them down the same way they did the other similar QBs. Which is understandable. I still think I'm going to wait a year before I anoint Cam into the top half of the league QB spectrum, but he certainly has potential to make it there

Mr. Texan
09-12-2011, 03:25 PM
cam newton is what tim tebow was supposed to be...

too soon?

Brandon420tx
09-12-2011, 03:28 PM
I forgot about tebow haha

DexmanC
09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Some people definitely hate him. But a lot of people were just wary of how his skill set would translate to the NFL. I have nothing against the guy. I have actually seen the guy workout in person and I can tell you that, from what I saw that day, I have never seen a better work ethic. That's why his teammates are drawn to him. And I think that is his best quality. Teammates play harder for him because they can see how hard he is playing for them.

His first game was amazing. Nobody can doubt that. But the same things that worried me about him leading up to the draft are still there.

First, his accuracy is inconsistent. He will throw an impeccable pass on one play and then the next two plays he wildly overthrows his receiver. Luckily, his WRs and TEs bailed him out against Arizona. Those guys were making leaping, diving catches that normally would have ended up as incomplete passes.

Second, his football IQ is lower than I would like for a NFL QB. It was perfectly fine for college, but the league is a whole different level. The Panthers were able to effectively hide this deficiency with the way they called the game for him. And as long as they continue to put him in that situation he will be fine. But if they start asking him to diagnose coverages, make multiple reads, or give him the power to audible out of the play I think that will put him in trouble. If they start to complicate things I think he will become less effective. If they can keep it simple for him, but still make it difficult for the defense, I think he will be very, very successful.

And I'm not saying that he can't improve in these areas, because he can (will).

This bolded line of drivel is only said about one type of quarterback. Look.
Cam Newton is a rookie, yet I never heard anybody say the same about
Sam Bradford's rookie year, nor Matthew Stafford's rookie year. He broke
Peyton Manning's record. Get over it.

Besides...

The only thing he was expected to do was run fast, right? He couldn't
POSSIBLY be smart, too!!

DocBar
09-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Besides...

POSSIBLY be smart, too!!Dan Marino reputedly scored one of the lowest Wonderlic scores ever. How did that work out?

Mr. White
09-12-2011, 08:20 PM
I think a lot of the Newton hate comes from the scandal that he sidestepped last year. When you add an undefeated season, the National Championship, and the Heisman to the mix, it makes people more pissed off.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I think a lot of the Newton hate comes from the scandal that he sidestepped last year. When you add an undefeated season, the National Championship, and the Heisman to the mix, it makes people more pissed off.I didn't think he would translate well to the NFL. According to Sunday, I was WAY wrong.

bah007
09-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Dan Marino reputedly scored one of the lowest Wonderlic scores ever. How did that work out?

The Wonderlic also has nothing to do with playing QB. It is a pointless test for a football player's on-field intelligence.

disaacks3
09-13-2011, 11:57 AM
haters gotta hate I guess. What he did yesterday was very, very special. Agreed. I don't care if he was playing the Manningless Colts, those are insane 1st game numbers.

I didn't think he would translate well to the NFL. According to Sunday, I was WAY wrong. Me as well. I'm still waiting to see how he progresses via the season, but Steve Smith's comments about Cam's Post-game answers were awesome. Cam wasn't all that excited because they still lost. Steve Smith thinks the kid has his head screwed on straight!

bah007
09-13-2011, 12:00 PM

Besides...

POSSIBLY be smart, too!!

You mean college spread Quarterbacks?

I don't know why you got your panties in a bunch because of what I said but I stand by it. I have been scouting draft prospects for a long time and I have been wrong before. I have no problem admitting if I am wrong again.

But for me to say that I am changing my entire opinion of him because of one game against a bad defense would be stupid.

The fact is: Newton played in a spread offense where he made a maximum of two reads on passing plays, if those routes were closed he took off. That is why I said his football IQ is low. I did not mean that he is unintelligent. He is inexperienced in a pro style offense. And that is not something that cannot be worked on. Obviously, I think he will improve as time goes on.

Stafford played in a pro style offense and put up incredible numbers.

Bradford played in a spread offense but it is actually pretty close to what teams in the NFL do. Oklahoma runs a pro style route tree, they just do it from the shotgun instead of under center. Based on my own rankings, Bradford was the second highest rated QB I've scouted since Peyton Manning (behind Philip Rivers). Newton was somewhere around #10 on that list.

I've always said that the guy has first round talent. I just have doubts about his ability to adjust to the NFL game. For one week at least, he has put those doubts to rest.

BigBull17
09-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Agreed. I don't care if he was playing the Manningless Colts, those are insane 1st game numbers.

Me as well. I'm still waiting to see how he progresses via the season, but Steve Smith's comments about Cam's Post-game answers were awesome. Cam wasn't all that excited because they still lost. Steve Smith thinks the kid has his head screwed on straight!

It looked like Rivera and his OC (drawing a blank right now) did alot to design the offense to his strengths. Thats how you make a QB like that work. No square peg, round hole.

Blake
09-13-2011, 12:28 PM

I don't know why you got your panties in a bunch because of what I said but I stand by it. I have been scouting draft prospects for a long time and I have been wrong before. I have no problem admitting if I am wrong again.

But for me to say that I am changing my entire opinion of him because of one game against a bad defense would be stupid.

The fact is: Newton played in a spread offense where he made a maximum of two reads on passing plays, if those routes were closed he took off. That is why I said his football IQ is low. I did not mean that he is unintelligent. He is inexperienced in a pro style offense. And that is not something that cannot be worked on. Obviously, I think he will improve as time goes on.

Bradford played in a spread offense but it is actually pretty close to what teams in the NFL do. Oklahoma runs a pro style route tree, they just do it from the shotgun instead of under center. Based on my own rankings, Bradford was the second highest rated QB I've scouted since Peyton Manning (behind Philip Rivers). Newton was somewhere around #10 on that list.

I've always said that the guy has first round talent. I just have doubts about his ability to adjust to the NFL game. For one week at least, he has put those doubts to rest.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lh5wy5mkLl1qbqqbp.gif

Vinny
09-17-2011, 03:16 PM
I'm looking forward to the match-up with the Dom Capers D. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Cam struggles this week. Capers will throw blitzes and disguised formations Newton has never seen before.

DocBar
09-18-2011, 05:05 AM
I'm looking forward to the match-up with the Dom Capers D. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that Cam struggles this week. Capers will throw blitzes and disguised formations Newton has never seen before.Oh man...A Capers D can be a very good vet QB's worst nightmare. What he cooks up for a rookie is gonna be "Nightmare on Cam Street". If Newton performs well against GB, then I'm officially driving the bandwagon. Unless that's racist, in which case I'll have my slaves pull the bandwagon. :D

DexmanC
09-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Cam Newton has the makings of a SPECIAL quarterback.

Will he change the way the game is played, the way Michael
Vick has? Most likely, not. I see him taking over where Donavan
McNabb left off.

stingray
09-18-2011, 12:38 PM
He is shredding the Packers defense so far.

texanhead08
09-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Cam is showing what VY could have been had he not had the throwing motion of Uncle Rico and the heart of a 12hr old girl.

Showtime100
09-19-2011, 07:24 AM

As for me I'll admit I got tired of hearing anything Cam and I think I began to fester a little dislike for him sight unseen.

Now I've seen this guy on the podium after an NFL game or two and I'm a fan. If you heard Tom Jackson talk about him last night he said it best. Generally he (Cam at the postgame) talks about team, goals, getting better, working hard, he gives due to the other locker room. He says he wants what others have and wants it sooner than later and you know he is talking about the Panthers, not Cam. Thing is, it's not an act. The kid is genuine.

I'm a fan, and I will root for him as long as it doesn't conflict with Texan interests.

Signed -

Hard to convert once I decide to dislike...lol.

Playoffs
09-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Still haven't seen him play, but I'm eating a bit of crow here.

But the guy I've got to be impressed with is whoever is running that offense?

chicagotexan2
09-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Ok last week I said it was only one game now it's 2 games. The kid looks good overall for a rookie. I am impressed.

Blake
09-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Impressive to say the least. I am interested to see if he can keep it up.

DexmanC
09-20-2011, 11:20 PM
I just started up Gamerewind and watched Cam's first drive vs. the Packers.

All I can say is.... WOW.

Dude was accurate as hell, and no matter what route his receivers ran,
the ball would drop softly into their hands. Imagine someone with the
physical strength of David Garrard, the elusiveness of Vince Young, with
a touch of Warren Moon.

The kid is special, and the Texans will have to bring their A-game when
we play against him later in the season.

eriadoc
09-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Sorry, I'm an Alabama fan.

Wolf6151
09-21-2011, 03:23 AM
I always thought that he'd turn out to be a decent/good QB but that it would take a few years like most. I'm impressed with his early success.

gary
09-21-2011, 07:57 PM
I hope he becomes elite mainly because I don't root for any player to fail and also because I love to watch elite athletes no matter the sport.

stingray
09-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I'm pulling for him. Seems like a good kid.

edo783
09-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Too early to really say, but the kid looks like he may be special.

dc_txtech
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM
I have to admit I thought he would flop. I don't think anybody predicted he would be doing what he is doing right now. I haven't had the chance to actually see a full game of his but all you need to do is look at the stat sheet, this guy is special.

DocBar
09-22-2011, 06:58 AM

Besides...

POSSIBLY be smart, too!!

Oh man...A Capers D can be a very good vet QB's worst nightmare. What he cooks up for a rookie is gonna be "Nightmare on Cam Street". If Newton performs well against GB, then I'm officially driving the bandwagon. Unless that's racist, in which case I'll have my slaves pull the bandwagon. :D

Cam Newton has the makings of a SPECIAL quarterback.

Will he change the way the game is played, the way Michael
Vick has? Most likely, not. I see him taking over where Donavan
McNabb left off. Ya know, nobody on here has made any statement, whatsoever that Newton was only supposed to be fast or do anything else just because he's black. Your ignorant, infantile remarks, presupposing racism, are tired and old. Black QB's are neither new or novel. They are QB's who happen to be black. If you'll knock that chip off of your own shoulder, you might be able to realize honest criticism of a player for the product he puts on the field. The vast majority of football fans see things in green(the field), brown(the football) and red(the redzone). Leave your racial remarks in the NSZ where they belong.This is football talk. Most people in this country don't make remarks based on their race. They make them based on their opinions and observations.

rmartin65
09-22-2011, 08:56 AM

a touch of Warren Moon.

David Garrard... Black
Vince Young... Black
Warren Moon... Black

Now, do you only compare black QBs to other QBs, and white QBs to other white QBs? Because that is racist. Or do you thing only black QBs have those qualities that you mentioned? Because that... is horribly wrong.

gary
09-22-2011, 10:21 AM
DexmanC has always been hell bent on race and he always will be.

silvrhand
09-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Every highlight I see he's hitting wide open receivers for big yardage, let's let him get a few more games in and see what happens.

DocBar
09-22-2011, 02:57 PM
DexmanC has always been hell bent on race and he always will be.I know, but we have a forum for that.

76Texan
09-23-2011, 08:41 AM

I've always said that the guy has first round talent. I just have doubts about his ability to adjust to the NFL game. For one week at least, he has put those doubts to rest.Bah, I've already disagreed with this before the draft.

Because his pre-snap read is good, he knows where to go with the ball early.
That makes it looks like he only went through one or two reads.
At other times, he had to take off due to pressure (but always look downfield) for any open receiver.

I've said that I've seen him make 4, even 5 reads (in about 3 seconds) at Auburn.

This guy has a lot of qualities, including football IQ:

- Presnap read (blitz recognition).
- Ball out "on time" (partially due to good throwing mechanics, on top of football IQ)
- Poise under pressure, feel the pressure and avoiding it for the most part to extend the play
- Ability to make all the different throws even when he can't step into it or on the run.

I agreed with some of the pros (including Gruden) that he should be the #1 draft prospect in last year class (and he was).

No, I wasn't surprised at his early success; however, I think the Panthers should develop a running game for long-term success (also, reducing the pressure on Newton.)

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 09:17 PM
David Garrard... Black
Vince Young... Black
Warren Moon... Black

Now, do you only compare black QBs to other QBs, and white QBs to other white QBs? Because that is racist. Or do you thing only black QBs have those qualities that you mentioned? Because that... is horribly wrong.

I never mentioned race at all. You guys did. Please don't project
your racism onto me.

Thanks.

DexmanC
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Ya know, nobody on here has made any statement, whatsoever that Newton was only supposed to be fast or do anything else just because he's black. Your ignorant, infantile remarks, presupposing racism, are tired and old. Black QB's are neither new or novel. They are QB's who happen to be black. If you'll knock that chip off of your own shoulder, you might be able to realize honest criticism of a player for the product he puts on the field. The vast majority of football fans see things in green(the field), brown(the football) and red(the redzone). Leave your racial remarks in the NSZ where they belong.This is football talk. Most people in this country don't make remarks based on their race. They make them based on their opinions and observations.

You can't find a post, where I mentioned Cam's race. Please do not
project your racism on to me.

Thanks.

TexanSam
09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
No, I wasn't surprised at his early success; however, I think the Panthers should develop a running game for long-term success (also, reducing the pressure on Newton.)

I am surprised they don't have one. They have both DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart in their backfield but they can't run. I think Carolina even signed Williams to a long term contract this offseason.

Blake
09-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Cam came back down to earth this weekend but got the W. Lets see where he goes from here.

Completions: 18
Attempts: 34
Percentage: 52.9
Yards: 158
Average: 4.6
Touchdowns: 1
Interceptions: 0

Playoffs
10-02-2011, 03:35 PM
This guy has a lot of qualities, including football IQ:

- Presnap read (blitz recognition).
- Ball out "on time" (partially due to good throwing mechanics, on top of football IQ)
- Poise under pressure, feel the pressure and avoiding it for the most part to extend the play
- Ability to make all the different throws even when he can't step into it or on the run.
First time I've had a longer look at Cam...

Another helping of crow http://man-over-board.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/eating-crow-64x64.jpg for me, waiter.

srrono
10-04-2011, 03:46 PM
I was a doubter of this kid as well, if he keeps this up he will be one of the greats.

GuerillaBlack
10-04-2011, 05:59 PM
His arm is amazing. Carolina is set.

76Texan
10-06-2011, 05:20 PM
I am surprised they don't have one. They have both DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart in their backfield but they can't run. I think Carolina even signed Williams to a long term contract this offseason.

I think they can work it (integrating a better running game), but perhaps they want to fastrack Newton.
It's getting better for now, I still think the Panthers can do better by emphasizing the running game a little more.
Honestly, I saw lot of sacks "could have been" with another QB in there, from Kolb to Collins, and even own our Schaub.
I'm not sure letting him play Houdini is the way to go.
So far Newton has been able to avoid it, but you never know when that one bad hit will come.
Putting a young QB through too much risk doesn't seem like the smartest idea, if you ask me.

Texecutioner
10-06-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm noticing a trend of a lot of doubters that have quickly jumped aboard the Cam Newton band wagon.

Before the season started 76Texan was the head and chief of that train taking on all comers. Interestingly enough it seems that he's got a train full of passengers that he's driving around now. Lol!

I'm not buying into any Cam Newton after 4 games. Not gonna do it. I still think he was a wasted pick and I won't forget history of how badly rookie QB's usually struggle. I've seen far to many guys with his skill set have early success end up struggling and not being able to handle it when it happens and Cam is more arrogant than any of them. I think this early success may hurt him down the road as well because he'll feel like individual success comes to easy and won't be a workoholic in the film room potentially.

Another thing is that this season is breaking every passing record of any kind as far as offense goes all around the board. There are all types of average QB's having 350 yard games like nothing this year. Defense simply doesn't exist this year. Week 4 was the highest passing yardage of all time last week and weeks 1,2, and 3 were all the next highest. I think Cam's success is part of that.

However, he is off to a great start and so far is looking like a guy that could potentially make me eat some big time crow down the line, but I'll wait until two years have passed to see where he's at. He's had a great start, but I'm still weary.

Not buying any tickets for that train yet 76Texan.

You can't find a post, where I mentioned Cam's race. Please do not
project your racism on to me.

Thanks.

Damn Dex, you are hilarious.

76Texan
10-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm noticing a trend of a lot of doubters that have quickly jumped aboard the Cam Newton band wagon.

Before the season started 76Texan was the head and chief of that train taking on all comers. Interestingly enough it seems that he's got a train full of passengers that he's driving around now. Lol!

I'm not buying into any Cam Newton after 4 games. Not gonna do it. I still think he was a wasted pick and I won't forget history of how badly rookie QB's usually struggle. I've seen far to many guys with his skill set have early success end up struggling and not being able to handle it when it happens and Cam is more arrogant than any of them. I think this early success may hurt him down the road as well because he'll feel like individual success comes to easy and won't be a workoholic in the film room potentially.

Another thing is that this season is breaking every passing record of any kind as far as offense goes all around the board. There are all types of average QB's having 350 yard games like nothing this year. Defense simply doesn't exist this year. Week 4 was the highest passing yardage of all time last week and weeks 1,2, and 3 were all the next highest. I think Cam's success is part of that.

However, he is off to a great start and so far is looking like a guy that could potentially make me eat some big time crow down the line, but I'll wait until two years have passed to see where he's at. He's had a great start, but I'm still weary.

Not buying any tickets for that train yet 76Texan.

I'm not blaming you one bit Tex.
Even as I was all gung-ho about Mario from the get-go, I did emphasize that I wouldn't predict his career, aND that I would wait at least some 2-3 years (which has since passed) to judge his plays.

Texecutioner
10-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not blaming you one bit Tex.
Even as I was all gung-ho about Mario from the get-go, I did emphasize that I wouldn't predict his career, aND that I would wait at least some 2-3 years (which has since passed) to judge his plays.

Oh, I knew you'd be all over this thread being that you were the one guy that had full confidence in the guy while most of us were all saying he'd be a bust before the season. You were the one guy that thought he'd be great. So far, it's looking like you're the guy that was right.

I just won't buy in and change what I think of him even after such an impressive start. I was to low on the guy to change after 4 games. When this offensive surge all over the NFL starts to slow down, than I think we'll see the real Cam Newton that will surface. The biggest question with him though is whether or not if he'll do all of the homework in the film room that he'll need to do in order to be a consistent top player.

gary
10-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I too will wait on Cam Newton.

gary
12-18-2011, 09:18 PM
He is just going to get better not worse at this point. He has game for sure it showed today.

brakos82
12-18-2011, 09:54 PM
He is just going to get better not worse at this point. He has game for sure it showed today.

Assuming he stays injury-free of course. If so, the sky's the limit for Cammy.

NitroGSXR
12-19-2011, 08:01 AM

a touch of Warren Moon.

I disagree. I think he has the physical strength of Ben Roethlisberger, the elusiveness of Kenny Stabler, with a touch of Fran Tarkenton.

Texecutioner
12-19-2011, 08:52 AM
76 Texan has a lot of crow to feed buffet style, and unfortunately I'm one of the first in line to have to eat it. Sometimes athletic QB's like this have short term success and the league just needs to figure them out, but Cam looks like he's got a good enough arm passing wise to where he's only going to get better and become a serious threat in this league. I'm through casting doubts on Cam. This crow is not a good meal that I"m used to eating. Good call 76 Texan. You stuck to your guns on this one, and proved a lot of us wrong.

gary
12-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Young and Russel did not live up to their potential because they did not care enough the jury is still out on Tebow.

kastofsna
12-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Newton is 18 yards away from breaking Peyton Manning's rookie yardage record. his 30 combined touchdowns is a rookie QB record. he seems to be the best of the dual-threat potential QB's we've seen in a while, the biggest difference being that defenses are scared to spy on him since he is such a dangerous passer even at this stage. he seems to be a lot like Roethlisberger, but with a stronger arm

it's still funny to me that people were wanting to give Dalton RotY over Newton just because he's on a better team. idiotic.

thunderkyss
12-19-2011, 11:18 AM

Why would you think that?

Alot depends on how Carolina develops him & the team around him.

If you were the Panthers, in what ways would you try to improve your team this coming offseason?

gary
12-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Why would you think that?

Alot depends on how Carolina develops him & the team around him.

If you were the Panthers, in what ways would you try to improve your team this coming offseason? Upgrade the receiver position and then a lot on defense if the Panthers do not fulfill their goals that does not mean that Cam himself got worse.