PDA

View Full Version : And How Many Points Did The Texans Score in the Second Half?

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Does this not bother anyone?

ThaShark316
09-11-2011, 06:15 PM
Who gives a shit?

Thorn
09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Yes, it does. It reminds me of how the offense only played for only one half in most of the games last year.

But, they won. So I figure I'll let it go. We got the Steelers, Saints and Ravens in 3 of our next five games. We'll know more then.

Texaninlild
09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Nope

ziggy29
09-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Had they only led 21-0 and hung on to win 21-17, it might have bothered me. But unlike previous Texans games where Kubes calls off the dogs and loses all the momentum, I felt this game was more or less out of reach by the time I noticed the dogs were being called off.

As I'd mentioned in another thread, what concerns about the tendency of Kubiak to let up, to take the boot off the throat of the opponents and not go for the kill, is that once the Texans lose momentum in a game they had been dominating, they have trouble "turning it on" again if the game gets closer and they need to regain that momentum they lost.

This game was never close enough for me to worry about losing it. But it does concern me that we may see more of the same from Kubiak teams in games that are a bit closer, where letting up too soon could cost them the game. I think we've seen a few games like that and those are the losses that hurt the most.

ThaShark316
09-11-2011, 06:18 PM
"Fire Kubiak" if they win 48-7 and a top starter gets hurt, right?

There is a MAJOR issue in this fan base.

FirstTexansFan
09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Similar thread here, I posted the following there, it applies here as well.

*LINK (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1772894&postcount=2)*

Surreal McCoy
09-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Thanks for saving me the time of posting this exact message - verbatim.

Sadly, these same people will try and tell you every team's fans are like this, when in fact, they are not.

PS - repped for truth

Ryan
09-11-2011, 06:38 PM
If there's one thing that's bad business in the NFL, it's running up the score against a division opponent. That's bad juju. I don't know why people are concerned with this so much.

VTexan
09-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Does this deserve to be a new thread? Really? You couldn't say this in any other plethora of threads going on?

I'm just tired of seeing this trend of posting new threads so everyone can see you make your point (singular). But hey, maybe that's just me.

Carry on.

dream_team
09-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Nope, doesn't bother me at all.

If the game was EVER close, then yes... i'd be concerned. But it wasn't! Texans played the 2nd half correctly to WIN the game.

It would have been nice to run the ball even though they knew it was coming... but we were down to our 3rd string RB who was scared to fumble again.

nero THE zero
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
It's classic Kubiak.

Unlike our first half sputters last season, this wasn't blatant incompetence but designed conservatism. Kubiak lets off with a big lead. We know this. Anyone who watches this team could predict little to no scoring in the second half. It's how we roll.

If anything concerns me in the second half, it was the turnovers.

Fred
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM

You lose. He left the top starters in the whole game. At least Schaub and Johnson should have sat out the last 14 minutes. "Fire Kubiak" if we go another season with an offense that can only score in one half of a game. (Of course sitting on a 34 point lead is better than the usual not quite being able to dig out of a 28 point hole.)

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 06:42 PM
And how many points did the Texans score in the first half? And the Colts?

It wasn't exactly crunch-time for the Texans offense in the 2nd half, add to it the dumbed down approach...

TexansFanatic
09-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Yes. It bothers me.

If the plan was to call off the dogs, then the entire first team should have come off the field and been replaced with second teamers.

The first team should have been just as methodical and unstoppable in the second half. But they weren't.

And why is that? If it's because they relaxed, that's unacceptable. They shouldn't relax for a single play while they're on the field.

Scooter
09-11-2011, 06:50 PM
If there's one thing that's bad business in the NFL, it's running up the score against a division opponent. That's bad juju. I don't know why people are concerned with this so much.

very very true.

eriadoc
09-11-2011, 06:53 PM
If the team is going to pick only one half to play offense, I'd rather it be the first half.

ThaShark316
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
You lose. He left the top starters in the whole game. At least Schaub and Johnson should have sat out the last 14 minutes. "Fire Kubiak" if we go another season with an offense that can only score in one half of a game. (Of course sitting on a 34 point lead is better than the usual not quite being able to dig out of a 28 point hole.)

Literally made no sense. It was 34-0.

I didn't lose. Texans won. I know it hurt to see the Texans win today man.

EllisUnit
09-11-2011, 06:55 PM

IF we hadnt had a 34 point lead than yes, but Kubes was conservative as hell in the 2nd half. If we woulda came out slinging the ball and AJ had gotten hurt we'd all be calling for his head. Let it be we won by 27 points.

El Tejano
09-11-2011, 06:58 PM
If we are holding on to the ball I don't have a problem but Tate coughed it up and Schaub threw his bi-annual pick to Brackett in the middle. That's what upsets me.

DocBar
09-11-2011, 06:58 PM

Thanks for saving me the time of posting this exact message - verbatim.

Sadly, these same people will try and tell you every team's fans are like this, when in fact, they are not.

PS - repped for truthWho's saying fire anybody? The Texans had a great win today, but it was far from flawless.
Being unable to score in the 2nd half was one of those flaws.

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Lol, man, the headlines are going to be horrible...

"Texans looking to recover after 34-7 win"

"Offense looks to rebound after 34-7 win"

"Team's confidence low after dismal performance in 34-7 win"

The offense did what it had to do AND SOME, and that's all they need to do... who cares what half it was in...

EllisUnit
09-11-2011, 07:00 PM
If we are holding on to the ball I don't have a problem but Tate coughed it up and Schaub threw his bi-annual pick to Brackett in the middle. That's what upsets me.

Schaub was def not at his sharpest today BUT i am not concerned with it after just 1 game, now if it happens against Miami we need to start worrying then. But not yet.
WHY CANT WE JUST ENJOY THE WIN

TimeKiller
09-11-2011, 07:04 PM
I repped everyone who said no. People who can watch that game and come away with something negative to say need to start a serious regimen of pot smoking. It must be hard to never be satisfied with anything.

Marcus
09-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Well, since there are two different threads talking about the absolute same thing, I'll simply repeat what I said in the other one.:rolleyes:

You can't expect them to be just as fired up coming out of the locker room 34-0. It's unreasonable.

I here this stupid cliche all the time ..... "I'm not as mad that they lost as I am about how they lost".

I guess that applies if they win, too. (sigh)

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2011, 07:06 PM
Let me say that I am elated to have this important win under our belt. Having been at the game I'll just make these observations (which were also very obvious to all around me).

During the first half, you could hardly hear yourself think. The energy in the stadium was unbelievable. It reflected the non-stop energy of play on the parts of both the O and the D.

Then came the second half. By the time the half way point of the 3rd quarter, it appeared that for whatever reason, both the O and the D dialed back and played relatively soft. The stadium became noticeably quiet. And, by the last 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter, fans throughout the stadium were beginning to exit en masse. This was not because fans felt the game was in the bag and therefore there was no reason to watch the rest of the game. It was because they realized that the rest of the game was going to be played in "prevent mode" and that the energy and excitement which they came for...........for 4 quarters, was to remain non-existent by design. If the Texans didn't feel confident playing exciting, at least somewhat aggressive, 2nd half football AND still maintaining the lead, I'm still left wondering what happens when we meet a team like the Saints or the Ravens.

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Let me say that I am elated to have this important win under our belt. Having been at the game I'll just make these observations (which were also very obvious to all around me).

During the first half, you could hardly hear yourself think. The energy in the stadium was unbelievable. It reflected the non-stop energy of play on the parts of both the O and the D.

Then came the second half. By the time the half way point of the 3rd quarter, it appeared that for whatever reason, both the O and the D dialed back and played relatively soft. The stadium became noticeably quiet. And, by the last 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter, fans throughout the stadium were beginning to exit en masse. This was not because fans felt the game was in the bag and therefore there was no reason to watch the rest of the game. It was because they realized that the rest of the game was going to be played in "prevent mode" and that the energy and excitement which they came for...........for 4 quarters, was to remain non-existent by design. If the Texans didn't feel confident playing exciting, at least somewhat aggressive, 2nd half football AND still maintaining the lead, I'm still left wondering what happens when we meet a team like the Saints or the Ravens.

seems you're more upset about it because you feel you didn't get your money's worth...

Marcus
09-11-2011, 07:09 PM
I repped everyone who said no. People who can watch that game and come away with something negative to say need to start a serious regimen of pot smoking. It must be hard to never be satisfied with anything.

This +1.

Rep to you, and don't bogart that joint.:)

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 07:11 PM
"Fans demand more close games by Texans, big wins unsatisfying"

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 07:12 PM
"Fans demand bigger wins from Texans, 27 points not big enough"

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
and the AP is going nuts with the cliche

"Houston: We have a problem: Big win, but little blow-out"

JCTexan
09-11-2011, 07:16 PM

The only thing Schaub was doing in the 4th was handing the ball off to Tate. Schaub only threw one pass the entire fourth quarter and 7 total for the 2nd half.

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2011, 07:18 PM
seems you're more upset about it because you feel you didn't get your money's worth...

A pretty tacky and baseless statement for someone who doesn't want to engage in an intelligent discourse, whether agreeing or disagreeing. I remained in my seat, along with my friends until the game was entirely over.

ObsiWan
09-11-2011, 07:19 PM

It bothered me and I caught heck for bringing it up.

steelbtexan
09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
"Fans demand more close games by Texans, big wins unsatisfying"

Fans demand 4 qtrs of high intensity football.

Unlike the last 5 yrs of Gary/Rick soft football. (M. Lombardi)

2slik4u
09-11-2011, 07:23 PM

Seems to work out for the patriots...

On another note, I didnt want to say anything in this thread because people get entirely too pissed off about stuff but starting a thread about this topic is ridiculous.

Yes, we didnt score anything in the second half but we whooped the piss out of the colts 34-7. We won week one at home against a divisional opponent in convincing fashion.

Finding something to complain about this week is pathetic. If you cant be happy with a blow out win like this then why even cheer on your team?

Oh well, just my two cents.

For the record, yes there are things we still need to work on but this was week one. Still working out the kinks. Theres a reason theres a phrase "mid-season form"...

Surprised no one is starting a thread about AJ's dropped pass that caused an interception.

ok, ok. Stepping down from soapbox now....

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
A pretty tacky and baseless statement for someone who doesn't want to engage in an intelligent discourse, whether agreeing or disagreeing. I remained in my seat, along with my friends until the game was entirely over.

"baseless"? you complained for over a paragraph about the energy in the stadium, etc..., not me... If you want to have an intelligent discussion about the team, go ahead... but you're talking about how the "fans" feel, not about how the team went out and kicked another team's ass, which IMO shows you're complaining because you are not satisfied with your experience... if not, please explain...

Showtime100
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM

The offense did what it had to do AND SOME, and that's all they need to do... who cares what half it was in...

I repped him. Best post of the day IMO.

Surreal McCoy
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
If the Texans had scored another 21 points in the 3rd and nothing in the 4th, these same fans would be moaning, "STUPIDAK DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO FINISH A GAME!!!", or my favourite, "this team was unprepared and lacks leadership, that's why we can't play all four quarters!".

In a way, I feel sad for them...

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2011, 07:57 PM
"baseless"? you complained for over a paragraph about the energy in the stadium, etc..., not me... If you want to have an intelligent discussion about the team, go ahead... but you're talking about how the "fans" feel, not about how the team went out and kicked another team's ass, which IMO shows you're complaining because you are not satisfied with your experience... if not, please explain...

I see. I guess then, if anyone posts an observation after a game, it is complaining. My post was about the team's play in the 2nd half. The fans' reactions were a RESPONSE to the play that was demonstrated by the TEAM in the 2nd half. It was painfully soft for one whole half. You have all the right in the world to voice that you are not concerned about this, just like some others in this thread have done. If you feel a need to belittle someone else's opinion as your style of posts suggests, I feel it best to turn the cheek and totally avoid further futile attempts to civilly respond.

Mr. Texan
09-11-2011, 08:00 PM
didn't we complain about slow starts last year?

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 08:01 PM
I see. I guess then, if anyone posts an observation after a game, it is complaining. My post was about the team's play in the 2nd half. The fans' reactions were a RESPONSE to the play that was demonstrated by the TEAM in the 2nd half. It was painfully soft for one whole half. You have all the right in the world to voice that you are not concerned about this, just like some others in this thread have done. If you feel a need to belittle someone else's opinion as your style of posts suggests, I fell it best to turn the cheek and totally avoid further futile attempts to civilly respond.

I'm concerned if it ends up being a close game and they played one horrible half, because we've all seen that before...

Trust me, I understand, we've all seen it too many times... but I wasn't "belittling" you... re-read my original reply to you, I said it "seemed" etc... And I think many would agree seeing as the biggest complaint was about the "atmosphere"...

ObsiWan
09-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Yes. It bothers me.

If the plan was to call off the dogs, then the entire first team should have come off the field and been replaced with second teamers.

The first team should have been just as methodical and unstoppable in the second half. But they weren't.

And why is that? If it's because they relaxed, that's unacceptable. They shouldn't relax for a single play while they're on the field.

One of the things that posters gripped about all off-season was that we don't play 60 minutes. That the offense plays half asleep for 30 minutes during games. Another was untimely turnovers. We, who "can't enjoy a win" saw both of those issues are STILL HERE.

Let me put it another way; Those of you who say, "shut up and enjoy the win" are basically saying it's just fine and dandy to play like complete crap for a half as long as we win. Well, I don't believe that's how you develop the killer instinct a playoff team ought to have. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And for the record, I enjoyed the heck out of the win. It wasn't the thing of beauty it could have been because we left points on the field.

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 08:04 PM
One of the things that posters gripped about all off-season was that we don't play 60 minutes. That the offense plays half asleep for 30 minutes during games. Another was untimely turnovers. We, who "can't enjoy a win" saw both of those issues are STILL HERE.

Let me put it another way; Those of you who say, "shut up and enjoy the win" are basically saying it's just fine and dandy to play like complete crap for a half as long as we win. Well, I don't believe that's how you develop the killer instinct a playoff team ought to have. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

And for the record, I enjoyed the heck out of the win. It wasn't the thing of beauty it could have been because we left points on the field.

It was 34-0 at the half, and they ran a base, straight up the middle style O without their 1st and 2nd string RBs in the second half and held on for a blow-out win... that does not concern me... it concerns me when the game is close and they play like that...

I will agree with those who have a prob with Schaub etc... staying in... let your back-up hand off the ball to Slayton the rest of the game...

Kimmy
09-11-2011, 08:08 PM
Yes, it bothered me too. How many years have we been asking for FOUR quarters of football.

And how many other times have we squandered a good lead?

So here I am stating what I hate hearing in press conferences; Consistency. We need to have it for 60 minutes a game; and today, we didn't.

TexansFanatic
09-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I will agree with those who have a prob with Schaub etc... staying in... let your back-up hand off the ball to Slayton the rest of the game...

Right.

After putting your opponent away earlier than the final gun, pick one:

(a) put backups in
(b) continue to play as if the game is on the line

But NEVER keep starters on the field playing in a lower gear intended to take it easy on the opponent.

JCTexan
09-11-2011, 08:12 PM

The Texans ran the ball the entire 2nd half. Schaub only threw the ball 7 times in the 2nd half (once in the 4th Quarter). The game never got closer than 27 points... I see nothing to be too upset about with that performance.

Showtime100
09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
The Texans ran the ball the entire 2nd half. Schaub only threw the ball 7 times in the 2nd half (once in the 4th Quarter). The game never got closer than 27 points... I see nothing to be too upset about with that performance.

No shit, but some can't be happy.

Rey
09-11-2011, 08:15 PM
The mistakes on offense were the biggest problem in the second half.

Had nothing to do with intensity.

Not sure how you complain about defense a whole lot. The only td the colts got was on a short field.

ObsiWan
09-11-2011, 08:17 PM
It was 34-0 at the half, and they ran a base, straight up the middle style O without their 1st and 2nd string RBs in the second half and held on for a blow-out win... that does not concern me... it concerns me when the game is close and they play like that...

Now you're starting to understand where we're (or at least *I'm*) coming from. Schaub and the offense should have come out in the second half, just as sharp as they were in the first half, and engineered a nice, clock-chewing 9, 10 play drive that burns up most of the 3rd qtr and ends with points. Then we're in the fourth qtr and the 2nd team comes in and gets smoe snaps while Schaub, AJ, OD, and maybe Tate, take the rest of the afternoon off. They would have earned it.

ObsiWan
09-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Soooo you're totally fine with that INT in the red zone and Tate's fumble??

And I never said anything about a bad pass/run ratio. So the point about Schaub only throwing 7 times in the 2nd half, while interesting, has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

JCTexan
09-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Soooo you're totally fine with that INT in the red zone and Tate's fumble??

And I never said anything about a bad pass/run ratio. So the point about Schaub only throwing 7 times in the 2nd half, while interesting, has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion.

The turnovers are the only problem I saw with this game. People are complaining about scoring zero points in the 2nd half: their whole game-plan in the 2nd half was chewing the clock while running the ball. People are complaining about Schaub being in the game late: all he did was hand the ball off to Tate (he only threw the ball once in the 4th).

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm concerned if it ends up being a close game and they played one horrible half, because we've all seen that before...

Trust me, I understand, we've all seen it too many times... but I wasn't "belittling" you... re-read my original reply to you, I said it "seemed" etc... And I think many would agree seeing as the biggest complaint was about the "atmosphere"...

I appreciate your last response. Again, I was relating the response of fans in the stadium to the play of the Texans in full (2nd) half. Until I see a game that is played for a full 4 quarters, I will find it difficult to take for granted that we will be able to "turn on the jets" when a game is on the line.........or that the next game will not come up with a big goose egg in the 1st half. I know that things should look up this year in many respects. And I believe they will. But nine years of being exposed to a Pavlov's dog experience has left me waiting for the next sub-mortal shock.

leebigeztx
09-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Peyton and crew would've still been running no huddle. Its called finishing the game. Oh yeah, the to's bother me too.

GuerillaBlack
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Yes, it bothered me too. How many years have we been asking for FOUR quarters of football.

And how many other times have we squandered a good lead?

So here I am stating what I hate hearing in press conferences; Consistency. We need to have it for 60 minutes a game; and today, we didn't.

But did they lose the big lead? Nope. How many times did they run it to the right in the second half? The team didnt let up until they were ahead by 34 and the Colts still only scored seven points in the second half. The second half turnovers concerns me, but that's it.

jjjezebel
09-11-2011, 09:03 PM

Repped!

DocBar
09-11-2011, 09:08 PM
Until the Texans consistently show that they can win games, I'm not going to be comfortable with anything that resembles complacency. I'm enjoying this win as much as anyone else, but it had its warts and they shouldn't be ignored. :tiphat:

ObsiWan
09-11-2011, 09:08 PM
The turnovers are the only problem I saw with this game. People are complaining about scoring zero points in the 2nd half: their whole game-plan in the 2nd half was chewing the clock while running the ball. People are complaining about Schaub being in the game late: all he did was hand the ball off to Tate (he only threw the ball once in the 4th).
You keep bringing up play calling.
That isn't the concern.
Kubiak & Co. called a good game in the second half. I'm surprised they threw that many times to be honest. I expected to see a steady dose of Tate (with a little Slaton mixed in) for most of the second half. Chew up that clock. And they did.
It's the sloppy execution that concerns us.

Establish GOOD habits and you'll be a winner. Be okay with bad habits and you're asking for trouble.

Nawzer
09-11-2011, 09:15 PM
A bit of the credit has to go to the Colts defense who intercepted Schaub and caused Tate's fumble. Those 2 drives could've been scoring drives for us, but their defense did apply a little bit of pressure. Mainly, I think it was a mix between the Texans being careless and they really were not looking to score being up by so much. Like someone else said, running up the score against a division opponent can bring bad karma, but it's not something that worries me.

thunderkyss
09-11-2011, 09:16 PM

I was more worried about the decision to leave Schaub in the game with a 34-0 lead with like 5 minutes to go. Maybe it was 34-7 by then, but still.

We should have thrown Lienart in there & let him run a two minute drill, get him some playing time against a real team that is still trying their darndest....

Matt hasn't played any meaningful football for 2 years. & the Colts D is good practice, especially the way we were throwing the ball.

Schaub, AJ, & Tate should have been on the sideline for those last two series.

just my 2

DocBar
09-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I was more worried about the decision to leave Schaub in the game with a 34-0 lead with like 5 minutes to go. Maybe it was 34-7 by then, but still.

We should have thrown Lienart in there & let him run a two minute drill, get him some playing time against a real team that is still trying their darndest....

Matt hasn't played any meaningful football for 2 years. & the Colts D is good practice, especially the way we were throwing the ball.

Schaub, AJ, & Tate should have been on the sideline for those last two series.

just my 2I would've pulled Schaub and AJ halfway through the 3rd. Maybe Kubiak has them on his fantasy team. :cool:

Kaiser Toro
09-11-2011, 09:20 PM
We have not had this luxury too often, beating the Colts, to apply a concern of finishing so soon. We all can agree that there are concerns about the "killer instinct" and "playing not to lose" narratives that come from Kubiak's play calling, but this is different.

We always knew our offense could score in the past, but today our defense knew it would dominate the Colts, and did. When we got that lead I was not concerned about our defense losing this game...I was concerned we would not get a shutout. Finishing is relative to your defense, and for the first time, I think we have one.

Playoffs
09-11-2011, 09:28 PM

^This.

Brandon420tx
09-11-2011, 09:30 PM
The only problem I had in the second half were the turnovers, we probably score at least 10 points if it weren't for those

JCTexan
09-11-2011, 09:30 PM
You keep bringing up play calling.
That isn't the concern.
Kubiak & Co. called a good game in the second half. I'm surprised they threw that many times to be honest. I expected to see a steady dose of Tate (with a little Slaton mixed in) for most of the second half. Chew up that clock. And they did.
It's the sloppy execution that concerns us.

Establish GOOD habits and you'll be a winner. Be okay with bad habits and you're asking for trouble.

Ok? So you're concerned they didn't execute running the football in the 2nd half? Okay, that's fair I guess. I only mentioned play-calling because they didn't try to throw the ball to run up the score at all.

mexican_texan
09-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Who gives a shit?

Seriously. I don't know when this place turned into such a negative place full of facepalm smilies, but I've been here long enough to remember being elated when we only allowed 3 TDs, let alone blowing out the Colts 34-7.

It wasn't this bad in 2005. I enjoyed this site a lot more when we were a pathetic bunch who got embarassed on national TV against the Seahawks and the Chiefs. We weren't happy, but we weren't whiny, either.

Showtime100
09-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Sorry, Cloak. I've seen this thread and even made an attempt at being quiet out of respect (which failed). This thread was completely uncalled for. F'ing get happy. I get frustrated with this very thing. It shows a lacking in football knowledge, IMO, and how things just f'ing go when up 34-0 at the half. It's as simple as that.

Sorry, this is a discussion, but Geeeeezus.

Tell me, if you woke up this morning and knew you would have a problem with this team after 34-7, wouldn't you wonder why?

Just take it and be the f happy.

JCTexan
09-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry, Cloak. I've seen this thread and even made an attempt at being quiet out of respect (which failed). This thread was completely uncalled for. F'ing get happy. I get frustrated with this very thing. It shows a lacking in football knowledge, IMO, and how things just f'ing go when up 34-0 at the half. It's as simple as that.

Tell me, if you woke up this morning and knew you would have a problem with this team after 34-7, wouldn't you wonder why?

Must spread rep...

Nawzer
09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Seriously. I don't know when this place turned into such a negative place full of facepalm smilies, but I've been here long enough to remember being elated when we only allowed 3 TDs, let alone blowing out the Colts 34-7.

It wasn't this bad in 2005. I enjoyed this site a lot more when we were a pathetic bunch who got embarassed on national TV against the Seahawks and the Chiefs. We weren't happy, but we weren't whiny, either.

After the soul crushing season we had last year, everyone is within their rights to ***** and complain about this team. The way we lost those games last year, it's going to take a while to forget this team's history of epic failures. Personally, I have no expectations for this team, but I hope we win and make a deep run in the playoffs. But gone are the days when the rest of the week depended on what the Texans did on Sunday (that's probably a healthy thing too). I think there is a good chunk of the fan base who feels this way after last season's disaster, but a lot of people will start feeling better if we get off to a good start to the season. Can't emphasize enough as to how important this season is for the franchise. So any little thing will probably get overblown, but until we make the playoffs this is the new normal for the Texans and its fans.

thunderkyss
09-11-2011, 09:39 PM
It's classic Kubiak.

Unlike our first half sputters last season, this wasn't blatant incompetence but designed conservatism. Kubiak lets off with a big lead. We know this. Anyone who watches this team could predict little to no scoring in the second half. It's how we roll.

If anything concerns me in the second half, it was the turnovers.

We came out in the third Qtr, Ben Tate for 2 yards, Andre for 6, Casey for 13 (1st down), Tate for 5, Tate for 0, Incomplete to Andre (on what would have been a first down)... punt.

That's not conservative, that's football.

Our next possession, We start at our 20 & march to the Indy 9 in 6:00 minutes. Two highlight plays.. Jacoby for 25 yards, Tate for 18.. the drive ends on an interception.. that was at least three if not for that INT & that was really a goofy play design.... you had Slaton & Jacoby right on top of each other, unless Jacoby got tied up by someone & wasn't able to break the way he was supposed to....... but again, nothing conservative about it. We marched down the field, threatened to score, & ate up a third of the third quarter.

Next possession, we've got a sweet little Zone Play going, & Tate coughs it up.... Colts recover

We get the ball back with 9 minutes left in the fourth, after we turn the ball over in back to back possessions. You want to hang the man for being conservative at that point..... that's you.

Fred
09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Literally made no sense. It was 34-0.

I didn't lose. Texans won. I know it hurt to see the Texans win today man.

Obviously you don't even understand your own post I replied to, so don't try to understand mine. For those who are cognizant, Shark thinks leaving the starters in protects them from injury as long as they play crappy.

The only thing Schaub was doing in the 4th was handing the ball off to Tate. Schaub only threw one pass the entire fourth quarter and 7 total for the 2nd half.

If Leinart and/or Yates can't be trusted to hand the ball off on 3rd and 10, why are the Texans wasting the roster spots?

thunderkyss
09-11-2011, 09:42 PM
Yes. It bothers me.

You do know the Colts pay those guys on defense too right? I mean I know the Defense isn't all that without Peyton Ma... wait a minute, he plays offense...

thunderkyss
09-11-2011, 09:48 PM

The D too?????? Well, having been at the game, let me tell you what I saw. The only time the Colts scored was off the Ben Tate fumble. Even after that bad call that put them in the redzone, our D & our fans kept them from scoring.

Yeah, I think the energy from the crowd caused him VinimoneyInTheBank to shank that kick.

Then that Mario sack fumble....... that was in the second half right?

80tothezone
09-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Not at all ur just plain wrong you leave ur starters in so they can chew clock and u win the game ... by 27 points.... putting in ur backups invites catastrophe, lately ur starters milk the clock and take ur W...Kubes played it right .... the colts may be a shadow of who they were but u pull ur starters and ur asking for the 1993(?) oilers buffelo. Would I have liked to see more td's. He'll yeh! But we didn't need em... and we won against a division opponent by 27 pts... they done good, damn good...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2011, 09:56 PM

Showtime, thank you for your comments. After our win today, despite my stated concern, and you may not believe it, I am honestly very happy. :)
http://blackravenposters.com/images/products/detail/M-3O.jpg

DocBar
09-11-2011, 09:57 PM
The D too?????? Well, having been at the game, let me tell you what I saw. The only time the Colts scored was off the Ben Tate fumble. Even after that bad call that put them in the redzone, our D & our fans kept them from scoring.

Yeah, I think the energy from the crowd caused him VinimoneyInTheBank to shank that kick.

Then that Mario sack fumble....... that was in the second half right?
There was a lull in the late 3rd and 4th quarters, but nothing horrible. Just enough to give me flashbacks of past victories lost until I remembered who was playing QB and on what team.
The best thing about the D is that they dominated from what looked like a pretty base defense. Not a lot of trickery and blitzing.

Showtime100
09-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Showtime, thank you for your comments. After our win today, despite my stated concern, and you may not believe it, I am honestly very happy. :)
http://blackravenposters.com/images/products/detail/M-3O.jpg

Lol, I believe you my friend. I meant no harm in my words. I meant them, but certainly no harm.

I love this guy.. :this:

thunderkyss
09-11-2011, 10:00 PM
The best thing about the D is that they dominated from what looked like a pretty base defense. Not a lot of trickery and blitzing.

That's a good thing.

Keep that stuff in the bag until you need it. We'll see the Colts again in December, whether Peyton is back or Collins starts to gel with this team, we'll probably need a few tricks up our sleeve.

Rey
09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
The offense made mistakes throughout the game.

The only score the d gave up was due to the Tate fumble. Defense stopped the colts, forced punts and gave the o a bunch of short fields.

I talked about this (tk did too) in the off season, but a lot of people liked to believe the o was infallible, but if the defense doesn't play lights out today and merely avg this game could have ended up like a lot if games last year.

Schaub has to do a lot better if we are going to beat good teams.

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Lol, I believe you my friend. I meant no harm in my words. I meant them, but certainly no harm.

I love this guy.. :this:

Agree or disagree, friends to the end!:ahhaha:

ObsiWan
09-11-2011, 10:25 PM
Agree or disagree, friends to the end!:ahhaha:
Well, where's the entertainment value in that for the rest of us.
:D

CloakNNNdagger
09-11-2011, 10:30 PM
Well, where's the entertainment value in that for the rest of us.
:D

Can't you just let me be ****ing happy?:splits:

DocBar
09-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Can't you just let me be ****ing happy?:splits:not if you're gonna be leaving stinky rainbows everywhere.

BullNation4Life
09-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I see. I guess then, if anyone posts an observation after a game, it is complaining. My post was about the team's play in the 2nd half. The fans' reactions were a RESPONSE to the play that was demonstrated by the TEAM in the 2nd half. It was painfully soft for one whole half. You have all the right in the world to voice that you are not concerned about this, just like some others in this thread have done. If you feel a need to belittle someone else's opinion as your style of posts suggests, I feel it best to turn the cheek and totally avoid further futile attempts to civilly respond.

and if anybody decides to post the bright spots of the game, they have "blinders" on and are "homers" and "kool aide drinkers." It's a vicious cycle with no end so just step down off your high horse or soap box or whatever the hell you're on Doc, come celebrate with the rest of the fans for the ass kicking the Colts just received and hope next week is just as big of an ass kicking....:boogie:

Fred
09-11-2011, 11:47 PM
not if you're gonna be leaving stinky rainbows everywhere.

Amen. And no Unicorns or flying ponies either.

and if anybody decides to post the bright spots of the game, they have "blinders" on and are "homers" and "kool aide drinkers." It's a vicious cycle with no end so just step down off your high horse or soap box or whatever the hell you're on Doc, come celebrate with the rest of the fans for the ass kicking the Colts just received and hope next week is just as big of an ass kicking....:boogie:

OK, Doc and the gang promise to be happy if next week is just as big of an ass kicking... if the Texans offense scores in both halves.
/thread

Revolution
09-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Stupid thread. Game was over. Conservative playcalling is to be expected in a blowout like this.

tielahr
09-12-2011, 12:00 AM

Not really. They played with a dumbed down offense in the 2nd half. No reason to go full speed when up 34 points.

Also to those who say they had starters out there so they were going all out, having starters out was just a safety precaution. The last thing Kubiak or anyone wanted was for Leinart or Yates to be out there throwing INTs for 6 points and having that game be any closer than what it was.

imo. :kitten:

Norg
09-12-2011, 12:03 AM
i had no problem with it if we didnt turn the ball over i was rdy to send matt in and some 2nd teamers IN IMO LOL but yeahhh .....

i wish we could win like that every week

ThaShark316
09-12-2011, 03:28 AM
Obviously you don't even understand your own post I replied to, so don't try to understand mine. For those who are cognizant, Shark thinks leaving the starters in protects them from injury as long as they play crappy.

Fall back like LeBron's hairline. You don't understand a 34-7 beating. You, Cloak, and whoever else got a problem...go stew in it. And wtf @ "thinks leaving the starters in protects them from injury"...what kind of logic...?

I'll celebrate a W and not dwell on the Texans calling off the dogs after being up 34-0. Turnovers be damned, they shut it down.

b0ng
09-12-2011, 08:58 AM
I literally do not care and I knew some jackass would be upset that the Texans didn't win by a larger margin.

Thorn
09-12-2011, 09:02 AM
All this pissing and moaning over one game. One freaking game. Anyone remember our 4-2 start last year? Let me see now, what was our record after that? The doubters are right because history is on their side until the Texans quit breaking our hearts every year.

After yesterday, I think they will finally make some noise this year and see a playoff game. But if they don't, I wouldn't be the least surprised. Most especially if Indy is actually what we think it is, a horrible excuse for a football team without P. Manning.

Vinny
09-12-2011, 09:13 AM

nope

Yankee_In_TX
09-12-2011, 09:15 AM
as i'd mentioned in another thread, what concerns about the tendency of kubiak to let up, to take the boot off the throat of the opponents and not go for the kill, is that once the texans lose momentum in a game they had been dominating, they have trouble "turning it on" again if the game gets closer and they need to regain that momentum they lost.

qft

Vinny
09-12-2011, 09:20 AM
man, how does one nit-pick this win? geesh.

Blake
09-12-2011, 09:24 AM

No. I just saw the Bills dismantle the Chief's in KC. The Browns lose to Cincy, The Cards getting all they could take from Cam freaking Newton, and the Titans/Jags beat eachothers brains out in a low scoring affair.

Lets not be picky here. This is a good football team.

ObsiWan
09-12-2011, 09:31 AM
man, how does one nit-pick this win? geesh.

The same way Belicheck and Brady nit-pick every single one of their victories. They always, always, always look for ways to improve. That's the kind of team I want the Texans to become.

Don't you?

Vinny
09-12-2011, 09:39 AM
The same way Belicheck and Brady nit-pick every single one of their victories. They always, always, always look for ways to improve. That's the kind of team I want the Texans to become.

Don't you?
Well, every fan wants a winner, but I'd put that kind of nitpicky logic in the "I've got too much time on my hands" category.

PockyAF
09-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Basically, we're not dominant.

We can't hit on all three cylinders on our team for a full game, like the elites of the league, i.e Steelers, Packers, Eagles, Ravens, Jets, Pats.

We started off dominating, and ended up making stupid turnovers, especially one in the red zone. I don't care how big the gap of the score is, as far as I'm concerned, the offense ended the game on a very sour note.

I'm a huge Schaub supporter, but the guy had two turnovers, and his sole TD should've been intercepted. He still miss somewhat like 4 or 5 throws for the day, and was real accurate; aside from a few throws that were too high. But again, it's what Schaub don't do that will never make him an elite QB.

The guy can't step on an opponent throats, if we're already up big. Funny thing is, he can lead him team to a comeback if we're down.

And for those who think we were putting our foot off the pedals, we had one legitimate series in the 2nd half where we were moving the ball and gaining huge chunks of yards. Getting into the redzone... only to come out scoreless because of a, guess what, Schaub turnover.

How is it that a good QB cannot own a game, even though the other team is being kicked around like dogs the entire game and their morals is crap? smh

Runner
09-12-2011, 09:55 AM
I'm not going to worry about this yet. They ran up a big lead and controlled the game, which works when done well.

How many targets did Dre get in the second half? 2? It bothers me a little that they get so far from their game plan, rather than just lean toward more running. However, until this becomes a trend that bites them it is nitpicking to me. It was a fine win.

Vinny
09-12-2011, 09:56 AM
If that wasn't a dominant win, I honestly don't what is. Are you guys really serious? Good gravy. You do realize with a 30+ point lead and two injured tailbacks, you really don't have to take many chances on offense anymore right?

thunderkyss
09-12-2011, 09:59 AM

We can't hit on all three cylinders on our team for a full game, like the elites of the league, i.e Steelers, Packers, Eagles, Ravens, Jets, Pats.

Which one of those teams dominated from start to finish in all facets of the game this weekend?

Steelers... nah-ah

Packers... when our defense gives up over 400 passing yards, is that hitting on all cylinders?

Eagles? I didn't watch them, so I don't know.

Ravens... yup

Jets... looked stagnant & got lucky that Romo Romoed.

Pats.. we'll see,

But I think the evidence clearly shows that no one dominates in all three facets of the game for 4 Qtrs.... Texans will never be any different.

Blake
09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I'm a huge Schaub supporter, but the guy had two turnovers, and his sole TD should've been intercepted.

How can you say his lone TD pass should have been intercepted, but ignore the fact that one of his interceptions (AJ tip) should have been caught?

PockyAF
09-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Which one of those teams dominated from start to finish in all facets of the game this weekend?

Steelers... nah-ah

Packers... when our defense gives up over 400 passing yards, is that hitting on all cylinders?

Eagles? I didn't watch them, so I don't know.

Ravens... yup

Jets... looked stagnant & got lucky that Romo Romoed.

Pats.. we'll see,

But I think the evidence clearly shows that no one dominates in all three facets of the game for 4 Qtrs.... Texans will never be any different.

Oh my, if we're going off one weekend.. then let's just anoint the Bills as the Superbowl champs, and Fitz as the MVP.

What, I'm saying in games when those elites owned an opponent, they owned them in all facets of the game for the entire duration of the game.

i.e Pats vs. Titans 59-0 massacre
Pats vs. Jets 45-3 last year
Falcons vs. Cardinals 41-7 last year

what do these wins have in common with ours? We won big.

what do they not have in common? The other team continue to score going into the fourth even with a huge, comfortable lead. They QB play was flawless. They play with intensity all throughout the game, with discipline and focus, while scoring at will.. on the other-hand, we started to get sloppy, and made mistakes, even when we were initially trying to run up the score in the second half.

How can you say his lone TD pass should have been intercepted, but ignore the fact that one of his interceptions (AJ tip) should have been caught?

that what's make the interception even worse.

when a superfreak with stick 'em hands like AJ couldn't jump high enough to catch a ball, then that's saying something.

disaacks3
09-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Does this not bother anyone? It bothered me quite a bit, but not because we didn't put up any more points. It bothered me, because I want Kubiak to have more of that "killer instinct" and keep the pressure on till the 4th quarter. Then, if he wants to "call off the dogs", he can pull ALL the starters.

Blake
09-12-2011, 10:31 AM
that what's make the interception even worse.

when a superfreak with stick 'em hands like AJ couldn't jump high enough to catch a ball, then that's saying something.

AJ got both hands on it. He didnt make the grab plain and simple. I love AJ as much as the next dude, but he does miss grabs from time to time. And this was one of them.

Khari
09-12-2011, 10:33 AM

Nope, not really....:runaway:

BigBull17
09-12-2011, 10:35 AM
If that wasn't a dominant win, I honestly don't what is. Are you guys really serious? Good gravy. You do realize with a 30+ point lead and two injured tailbacks, you really don't have to take many chances on offense anymore right?

Madden has made people not appreciate a dominant win. yeah, we didn't win 77-0. Mario didn't have 11 sacks. AJ didn't have 500 yds receiving and 8 TD's. We must have sucked. That was a game that I knew the COlts never had a chance at getting back into. You could tell. We kicked their teeth in and if you are trying to pick little things out of this gamde as glaring negatives, then you are trying to hard. Great point Vinny.

ObsiWan
09-12-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm not going to worry about this yet. They ran up a big lead and controlled the game, which works when done well.

How many targets did Dre get in the second half? 2? It bothers me a little that they get so far from their game plan, rather than just lean toward more running. However, until this becomes a trend that bites them it is nitpicking to me. It was a fine win.

I just believe that we should identify potential issues and get them corrected BEFORE we get bit in the behind.

HOU-TEX
09-12-2011, 10:44 AM
AJ got both hands on it. He didnt make the grab plain and simple. I love AJ as much as the next dude, but he does miss grabs from time to time. And this was one of them.

I agree for the most part. I'd give Schaub some of the blame too. It was just a bad play all together.

b0ng
09-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Here's my question:

Do you believe the playcalling became more conservative in the second half which caused us to not score any points? I mean if Kubiak is at fault for that, then it'd have to be because of the playcalling right, it's not like Kubiak suited up to try his hand against the Colts D.

beerlover
09-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Here's my question:

Do you believe the playcalling became more conservative in the second half which caused us to not score any points? I mean if Kubiak is at fault for that, then it'd have to be because of the playcalling right, it's not like Kubiak suited up to try his hand against the Colts D.

In both previous wins against the Colts the Texans play calling went ultra conservative, running the ball regardless of 3rd down situations to run the clock down & shorten the game.

HOU-TEX
09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Here's my question:

Maybe a little, but not until mid 4th quarter. The 4th had just begun when we were throwing the ball inside the Colts 10. I mentioned in another thread that the score would've likely been in the 40's if it weren't for Schaub throwing that pick. Our foot came off the pedal all the way after that.

Textan
09-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Kubiak has always been conservative with a lead.
He won't change this year. But, to cut Kubiak some slack, he didn't need to be overly aggressive in the second half. He didn't even need to be aggressive at all.
Let's not split hairs too much on this one. 34 to 7, I'll definitely take it.:tiphat:

Seņor Stan
09-12-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm upset because when the BCS polls come out, the fact we didn't score in the 2nd half will hurt our ranking.

As for getting away from the gameplan...I think getting out to a big lead and then chewing clock IS the gameplan.

silvrhand
09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
it's the Kubiak shell game.. we get a big lead we go into the shell.

Texan_Bill
09-12-2011, 11:41 AM

Not me. The Texans took their foot off the necks of the Colts. This is professional football, not college where there is incentive to run up scores subsequently embarrassing the opponent.

The ONLY thing that bothers me is why Matt Schaub was left in so late in the game. Get Leinart reps when you have the opportunities.

Double Barrel
09-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Does anyone remember 35-3? :um:

I'm happy with the win. I have no problem with the offensive playcalling in the 2nd half.

However, NO lead is too big in this league. I was not at the game so I did not have the luxury of seeing our defensive coverage in the second half, but it sure looked soft and almost a prevent mode from a tv perspective.

NEVER FORGET 35-3.

Do y'all not remember Manning running up the score when he was marching toward 49 TDs in a season? He was calling audibles to passing plays in the 4th quarter of a blowout at Reliant. Stat mongering...or "killer instinct"?...just food for thought. I wish we could have crushed the soul of the Colts franchise. 75-0 for all I care. This isn't a kum-by-yah carebear league. Humiliation is good for the character of the victorious! Especially against the Colts!! :evil:

Let me repeat for the Sunshiners: I'm happy with the win.

Now let's see this team repeat that first half performance 15 more times this season! :texflag: and never forget 4-2

DocBar
09-12-2011, 12:08 PM
The Texans were still running their normal offense through the third quarter. It was after the Tate fumble and Schaub int that Kubiak shut it down. The Texans were sloppy inthe 2nd half and I think that's what the gripe here is. All of us are happy with the win, but some of worry about that sloppy play against a better opponent. That doesn't seem overly nitpicky to me.

Vinny
09-12-2011, 12:09 PM
The Texans were still running their normal offense through the third quarter. It was after the Tate fumble and Schaub int that Kubiak shut it down. The Texans were sloppy inthe 2nd half and I think that's what the gripe here is. All of us are happy with the win, but some of worry about that sloppy play against a better opponent. That doesn't seem overly nitpicky to me.
I saw quite a few second team defenders in there in the second half. The offense had two injured rb's a injured WR, and a 30 point lead. Why show anything else to the Dolphins?

b0ng
09-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Does anyone remember 35-3? :um:

I'm happy with the win. I have no problem with the offensive playcalling in the 2nd half.

However, NO lead is too big in this league. I was not at the game so I did not have the luxury of seeing our defensive coverage in the second half, but it sure looked soft and almost a prevent mode from a tv perspective.

NEVER FORGET 35-3.

Do y'all not remember Manning running up the score when he was marching toward 49 TDs in a season? He was calling audibles to passing plays in the 4th quarter of a blowout at Reliant. Stat mongering...or "killer instinct"?...just food for thought. I wish we could have crushed the soul of the Colts franchise. 75-0 for all I care. This isn't a kum-by-yah carebear league. Humiliation is good for the character of the victorious! Especially against the Colts!! :evil:

Let me repeat for the Sunshiners: I'm happy with the win.

Now let's see this team repeat that first half performance 15 more times this season! :texflag: and never forget 4-2

Let me just quote this:

1st-10, HOU20 11:54 B. Tate rushed to the left for 2 yard gain
2nd-8, HOU22 11:20 M. Schaub passed to A. Johnson to the left for 6 yard gain
3rd-2, HOU28 10:47 M. Schaub passed to J. Casey to the right for 13 yard gain
1st-10, HOU41 10:00 B. Tate rushed to the left for 5 yard gain
2nd-5, HOU46 9:22 B. Tate rushed to the left for no gain
3rd-5, HOU46 8:40 M. Schaub incomplete pass to the left
4th-5, HOU46 8:23 B. Hartmann punt, touchback

1st-10, HOU20 5:30 S. Slaton rushed to the left for 13 yard gain
1st-10, HOU33 4:54 M. Schaub passed to S. Slaton down the middle for 6 yard gain
2nd-4, HOU39 4:54 Houston committed 5 yard penalty
2nd-9, HOU34 3:46 S. Slaton rushed to the left for 1 yard loss
3rd-10, HOU33 3:03 M. Schaub passed to J. Jones down the middle for 25 yard gain
1st-10, IND42 2:17 B. Tate rushed to the left for 3 yard gain
2nd-7, IND39 1:34 M. Schaub passed to J. Jones down the middle for 8 yard gain
1st-10, IND31 0:57 M. Schaub rushed to the left for 3 yard gain
2nd-7, IND28 0:22 B. Tate rushed to the right for 18 yard gain

4th Quarter

Houston continued
1st-10, IND10 15:00 B. Tate rushed to the right for 1 yard gain
2nd-9, IND9 14:33 M. Schaub incomplete pass down the middle
3rd-9, IND9 14:17 G. Brackett intercepted M. Schaub for 27 yards

1st-10, HOU27 10:27 B. Tate rushed to the left for 4 yard loss. B. Tate fumbled. P. Angerer recovered fumble and returned for 10 yard

1st-10, HOU16 4:49 B. Tate rushed to the left for 12 yard gain
1st-10, HOU28 4:05 B. Tate rushed to the left for 4 yard gain
2nd-6, HOU32 3:21 B. Tate rushed to the left for 3 yard gain
3rd-3, HOU35 2:39 B. Tate rushed to the left for 5 yard gain
1st-10, HOU40 2:00 M. Schaub rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss
2nd-11, HOU39 1:17 M. Schaub rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss
3rd-12, HOU38 0:38 M. Schaub rushed up the middle for 1 yard loss

Basically quit trying to say that something that happened almost 20 years ago has any bearing whatsoever on the situation. And we took our foot off the passing game with 4 minutes left in the 4th. Basically, shut up with the 35-3 business.

Even with a team playing as badly as the Colts did yesterday, you're not going to score on every possession this isn't Madden, and we will have to punt at some point probably every game we play in. There is no need to get all upset. Secondly, I do remember our defense basically holding the Colts pretty much outside of even FG range until. . . about halfway through the 4th quarter. Give me a break.

Maybe the players themselves weren't giving it 110% in the 3rd and 4th quarters (although I find that really hard to believe since the defense was still pitching a shut out) then whatever, but people who are expecting the Texans to dominate all 3 phases of the game for 4 quarters are completely looney tunes and will never be satisfied with how the home team plays.

Hervoyel
09-12-2011, 02:11 PM
The Texans clearly went into a eat-clock offense in the second half and called off the dogs on the other side of the ball. I don't know how anybody could look at the second half and not see that the Texans didn't suddenly become inefficient. They suddenly became interested in getting to the final whistle with a win as quickly as possible.

At the exact same time the Colts came out of the locker room in preseason mode and started small. Convert a first down, move the chains. Do something positive to build on for next week and the rest of the season. With the pressure off and the Texans not playing like they were any kind of threat they still couldn't score without help from Ben Tate.

We all want to see the Texans tear it up for four quarters but that's not likely to ever happen and it would be our luck that we'd lose AJ or Schaub for the season with an injury while we were busy keeping our intensity up against an opponent we were up on by 28-30 points. I'm fine with putting it in cruise control for the rest of the day.

What remains to be seen and what we really are all worried about (where all the 35-3 crap is coming from) is whether or not we can pull back like that and then if necessary turn it on again against someone who is coming back. That's one of those things where you don't know if it will (or won't) work until you do it. And then of course, it's too late.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0804/memorable.collapses.chokes/images/05279833.jpg

Too late.

ObsiWan
09-12-2011, 03:14 PM
I'm upset because when the BCS polls come out, the fact we didn't score in the 2nd half will hurt our ranking.

As for getting away from the gameplan...I think getting out to a big lead and then chewing clock IS the gameplan.
:lol:
Oh SNAP!

Do you think we have a shot to crack the top ten? This could really cost us when the bowl selections are made....

utahmark
09-12-2011, 03:18 PM
:lol:
Oh SNAP!

Do you think we have a shot to crack the top ten? This could really cost us when the bowl selections are made....

Yes we do. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/2.html

Double Barrel
09-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Basically quit trying to say that something that happened almost 20 years ago has any bearing whatsoever on the situation. And we took our foot off the passing game with 4 minutes left in the 4th. Basically, shut up with the 35-3 business.

Even with a team playing as badly as the Colts did yesterday, you're not going to score on every possession this isn't Madden, and we will have to punt at some point probably every game we play in. There is no need to get all upset. Secondly, I do remember our defense basically holding the Colts pretty much outside of even FG range until. . . about halfway through the 4th quarter. Give me a break.

Maybe the players themselves weren't giving it 110% in the 3rd and 4th quarters (although I find that really hard to believe since the defense was still pitching a shut out) then whatever, but people who are expecting the Texans to dominate all 3 phases of the game for 4 quarters are completely looney tunes and will never be satisfied with how the home team plays.

LOL!!!!!!1!! :breakdance:

I thought it was a great game. My comments were more bigger picture & long term than you seem able to comprehend. They certainly were not worthy of the sand-in-vag reply that you devoted to them. But thanks for trying, because it's the effort that counts. :ok:

It's simply lessons learned that you never let up on your opponent. Manning never let up on us, regardless of how much they were ahead.

My apologies that you wasted...err...spent so much time replying to my rather mundane post. :tiphat:

The Texans clearly went into a eat-clock offense in the second half and called off the dogs on the other side of the ball. I don't know how anybody could look at the second half and not see that the Texans didn't suddenly become inefficient. They suddenly became interested in getting to the final whistle with a win as quickly as possible.

At the exact same time the Colts came out of the locker room in preseason mode and started small. Convert a first down, move the chains. Do something positive to build on for next week and the rest of the season. With the pressure off and the Texans not playing like they were any kind of threat they still couldn't score without help from Ben Tate.

We all want to see the Texans tear it up for four quarters but that's not likely to ever happen and it would be our luck that we'd lose AJ or Schaub for the season with an injury while we were busy keeping our intensity up against an opponent we were up on by 28-30 points. I'm fine with putting it in cruise control for the rest of the day.

What remains to be seen and what we really are all worried about (where all the 35-3 crap is coming from) is whether or not we can pull back like that and then if necessary turn it on again against someone who is coming back. That's one of those things where you don't know if it will (or won't) work until you do it. And then of course, it's too late.

Yep, great post.

I loved seeing the win yesterday. But, if Collins were any better, he could have put points on the board in the second half. Questions remain if this year's Texans team has the moxy to ramp it up again. As a football fan, it's a valid question.

With Wade as DC, I tend to think that they will have the moxy. But only doing it will reveal it to be true or not.

I just have to remember: more koolaid drivel and nipple rubbing after wins! I certainly hate to be the renegade cow in such a fast moving herd.

Oh yeah, let's not forget the obligatory :cow:

imatexan
09-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Zero.

How many did the Colts score the entire game?

How many did we score in the first half?

Add up all these numbers and it still looks like we kicked @ss!

Brandon420tx
09-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Time of possession for the second half was about 15 minutes and 5 seconds, considering one of our drives was a 1 play fumble, thats not too bad

BullNation4Life
09-12-2011, 04:34 PM
LOL!!!!!!1!! :breakdance:

I thought it was a great game. My comments were more bigger picture & long term than you seem able to comprehend. They certainly were not worthy of the sand-in-vag reply that you devoted to them. But thanks for trying, because it's the effort that counts. :ok:

It's simply lessons learned that you never let up on your opponent. Manning never let up on us, regardless of how much they were ahead.

My apologies that you wasted...err...spent so much time replying to my rather mundane post. :tiphat:

Yep, great post.

I loved seeing the win yesterday. But, if Collins were any better, he could have put points on the board in the second half. Questions remain if this year's Texans team has the moxy to ramp it up again. As a football fan, it's a valid question.

With Wade as DC, I tend to think that they will have the moxy. But only doing it will reveal it to be true or not.

I just have to remember: more koolaid drivel and nipple rubbing after wins! I certainly hate to be the renegade cow in such a fast moving herd.

Oh yeah, let's not forget the obligatory :cow:

Hell only reason the Colts got 7 was that BS call on Manning for hitting a defenseless receiver.

Mr. Texan
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Hell only reason the Colts got 7 was that BS call on Manning for hitting a defenseless receiver.

they got 7 because ben tate fumbled

Double Barrel
09-12-2011, 04:39 PM

yeah, Collins is a garbage QB. I'd honestly be surprised if the Colts win more than 6 games this year.

I'm just bloodthirsty about whooping the Colts. I understand the coaching staff does not share my ruthless attitude about our division opponents, but after listening to arrogant Colts fans the past 9 years, I would love nothing more than seeing the Texans humiliate them.

But, like I said, I'm a bit more cold-blooded about these things, and I don't begrudge anyone for not sharing my rather bloodthirsty perspective. :winky:

That being said, I do think some of our defensive players feel the same way. They were aweome yesterday, and hopefully a sign of things to come! :texflag:

b0ng
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
I'll be honest, 2nd half offense was flat and boring yesterday but if we get up big on opponents in a single half I bet we see the same stuff. Walter and Ward getting injured probably did not help Kubiaks playcalling.

We made Colts players and fans experience some of our decade long woes yesterday lets bask in that.

TexanBacker93
09-12-2011, 05:12 PM
I'll be honest, 2nd half offense was flat and boring yesterday but if we get up big on opponents in a single half I bet we see the same stuff. Walter and Ward getting injured probably did not help Kubiaks playcalling.

We made Colts players and fans experience some of our decade long woes yesterday lets bask in that.

I don't even feel they were boring and flat in the 2nd half.

1st possession of the 2nd half we were driving and on 3rd and short threw towards AJ. It wasn't a conservative call by any means. It was incomplete so we punted.

2nd possession went into the 4th quarter and ended with the interception. It was a bad read by Schaub. I watched it again this morning and Slaton was the intended target and not open even if the ball made it over Brackett.

3rd possession was the fumble on the 1st play. He was carrying it high and didn't tuck it away. I think he'll get the message.

After that we were in run the clock down mode.

Yeah, they didn't put any points on the board. They didn't have to. It wasn't because of poor game planning or even us taking the foot off their throats. We were trying to score. At least that's how I saw it. It's not like the came out and ran 3 straight times and then punted.

Defensively, we were still putting pressure on the QB. I feel confident that if the Colts weren't given a short field after the fumble they wouldn't have scored at all.

TEXANRED
09-12-2011, 06:16 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0804/memorable.collapses.chokes/images/05279833.jpg

Too late.

As long as Jim Eddy is no were near this team I doubt anything like that will happen again.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM
We made Colts players and fans experience some of our decade long woes yesterday lets bask in that.I'm more inclined to think it was the sloppy play against a team playing for what pride they could salvage. Having thought about it a bit, I still think that was the big reason we went into run mode. Run mode is smarter than running our normal offense in a sloppy manner and giving the opponents hope. We can run the ball well enough, even when they know it's coming, that we can still move the chains some and eat up clock. I guess I can keep my nitpicking to a minimum. It's just that I like nits. They're tasty, low calorie snacks, just full of protein. :htown2atx:

Rey
09-12-2011, 06:26 PM

I don't think the Colts scored on that drive...

I think that is the drive where they missed the FG.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 06:33 PM

I think that is the drive where they missed the FG.Wasn't that their 1st drive, after Schaub/AJ's INT?

Rey
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
Wasn't that their 1st drive, after Schaub/AJ's INT?

I could have sworn that Antonio forced a fumble on the Colts first drive and then on the next they fumbled the snap.

I don't think they even got in field goal range til the second half...

drs23
09-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I'm more inclined to think it was the sloppy play against a team playing for what pride they could salvage. Having thought about it a bit, I still think that was the big reason we went into run mode. Run mode is smarter than running our normal offense in a sloppy manner and giving the opponents hope. We can run the ball well enough, even when they know it's coming, that we can still move the chains some and eat up clock. I guess I can keep my nitpicking to a minimum. It's just that I like nits. They're tasty, low calorie snacks, just full of protein. :htown2atx:

Are they as loaded with protein as crow? :D

EllisUnit
09-12-2011, 06:59 PM

Too late.

Did you have to go there. Yesterday was a dream come true. I have fallen asleep and woke up On Elm Street in Nancys House with Freddy scratching at the door because of that photo. Thanks a lot :vincepalm:

DocBar
09-12-2011, 06:59 PM
Are they as loaded with protein as crow? :D
:rofl:!!! Good one!!! :runaway:

ObsiWan
09-12-2011, 07:00 PM

I think that is the drive where they missed the FG.

That's true. The Colts put together a 9-play drive ending in Vinatieri missing a 37-yarder. One of those plays was the B/S "defenseless receiver" call.

When we took over after the missed FG, Tate fumbled on the first down play. That's when they got the TD

DocBar
09-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I could have sworn that Antonio forced a fumble on the Colts first drive and then on the next they fumbled the snap.

I don't think they even got in field goal range til the second half...

Watching the game on the computer and the Steeler's azz whoopin on TV, it's hard for me to remember. The live stream absolutely sucked yesterday.

Fred
09-12-2011, 11:16 PM

Hi. I don't know where you have been, but Welcome to Planet Earth. This has been a trend that has killed the Texans for five years! If the offense going :splits: for one half and :hides: for the other half was something new with this game, then this thread never gets started and the Texans have a bunch of :trophy: instead of five plus years of :kubepalm:

Everyone is happy with the win, and yeah, yeah, up 34 points on Kerry Collins who cares; but the Texans have actually lost games before when they didn't score in one of the halves (and lost the turnover battle).

But if they sometime this year they lose a game when they only score in one half or lose the turnover battle - then remember - its fine.

Texan_Bill
09-12-2011, 11:24 PM
Re: And How Many Points Did The Texans Score in the Second Half?

Enough to still win the game, handily!! :runaway: