PDA

View Full Version : Mario Williams looked good.

DocBar
09-11-2011, 03:01 PM
I'll be the first to say it since I was one of the biggest critics of moving him. he looked pretty OK today. I'm not sure what Indy thought they were doing when they asked Clark to block him, but at least he took advantage of it and got the sacks.

EllisUnit
09-11-2011, 03:09 PM
I'll be the first to say it since I was one of the biggest critics of moving him. he looked pretty OK today. I'm not sure what Indy thought they were doing when they asked Clark to block him, but at least he took advantage of it and got the sacks.

i did predict over 16 sacks in one of these threads.

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Yah, he did look good... still didn't look where he should be, but I thought he did well considering his experience at the position...

We also saw him in the three-pt stance a lot more today than in the preseason, and I feel Wade still didn't pull out the whole book overall... this move should work out in the end if you're not expecting Mario to be a top three OLB (not saying he won't be, just saying if you had the highest of expectations, you're more likely to be dissapointed)...

TexansFanatic
09-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Two sacks and a lot of pressure. I knew he'd show up eventually. Glad it turned out to be the first game.

eriadoc
09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Mario has played injured a lot over his career. Getting down in the trenches where the real hurt happens and toughing through injuries for damn near every single game doesn't add up to low effort, IMO.

People who think Mario should be traded are just .... well, let's just say there's a reason they don't make decisions in the NFL. Even dumbass Casserly had the good sense to draft the guy.

SAMURAITEXAN
09-11-2011, 03:15 PM
It is unbelievable and amazing to see a such huge guy moving so fast. Yes, it was a great day for Mario.

Go Mario!!!
Go Texans!!!

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 03:19 PM
People who think Mario should be traded are just .... well, let's just say there's a reason they don't make decisions in the NFL. .

I dunno, if you could have gotten a great deal of talent for it with a high draft-pick added, it wouldn't be a horrible decision (though maybe not the best)... but with little time to work on a positive trade (lockout) and the fact the dude is a freak, why not try him out? If nothing else he can be used inside etc...

I was pro-keeping Mario because he kept showing improvement, even through today, but if there's any chance to make this team better you take it... I didn't see that happening, and refused to press the panic button on Willio Mariams...

Rey
09-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Yah, he did look good... still didn't look where he should be, but I thought he did well considering his experience at the position...

We also saw him in the three-pt stance a lot more today than in the preseason, and I feel Wade still didn't pull out the whole book overall... this move should work out in the end if you're not expecting Mario to be a top three OLB (not saying he won't be, just saying if you had the highest of expectations, you're more likely to be dissapointed)...

Maybe you saw him down more because he actually played an entire game?

DocBar
09-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Maybe you saw him down more because he actually played an entire game?That dude in your sig looked pretty dang good for a rookie in his 1st game.

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Maybe you saw him down more because he actually played an entire game?

Exactly!

#1: Why put mario in a 3-pt during practice/preseason when the dude's been coming out of that for about a decade (just including college+nfl)?

#2: as I pointed out in Mario-bashing threads during the preseason, the dude didn't even play a full three quarters the first two games...

the guy improved week to week during the preseason... add that to the fact that a top-notch defensive coordinator (IMO) was continuing to show faith in him at the position and there was no need to panic! Concern? I can see that! But calling the "Mario won't work out" shot so early? a tad premature...

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 03:27 PM
That dude in your sig looked pretty dang good for a rookie in his 1st game.

For damn sure! that guy is special...

prostock101
09-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Nice that he got the two sacks but he should have against a TE. Clark didn't want anything to do with him and just tapped him on the shoulder as he blew past him.......

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Nice that he got the two sacks but he should have against a TE. Clark didn't want anything to do with him and just tapped him on the shoulder as he blew past him.......

and he did, and that's all that matters... won't be the last time someone sticks a TE against Mario, and he'll have a shot to abuse that TE as well...

EllisUnit
09-11-2011, 03:31 PM
and he did, and that's all that matters... won't be the last time they stick a TE against Mario, and he'll have a shot to abuse that TE as well...

yep thats part of the mismatch that Wade and Kubiak have been talking about. Moving him around to gain mismatches a majority of the time.

BullNation4Life
09-11-2011, 03:35 PM

and who's fault was that? Mario did exactly what he needed to do, abuse the TE and sack the QB What more do you need in those situations? Are we gonna start picking other OLB's sacks apart becasue they were blocked by a TE?

drunkcookie
09-11-2011, 03:46 PM
and who's fault was that? Mario did exactly what he needed to do, abuse the TE and sack the QB What more do you need in those situations? Are we gonna start picking other OLB's sacks apart becasue they were blocked by a TE?

Of course... that is if you're over-critiquing that OLB...

Nawzer
09-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Mario had a good game and I thought he killed Collins for sure on that 2nd sack.

fiasco west
09-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Anyone still wanna trade Mario?

fiasco west
09-11-2011, 03:50 PM

I bet Reed doesn't make that play.

Mario is a mismatch on TEs and because he's going to move around a lot on Wade's defense he's going to find poor TEs in front of him a lot more this season.

JamesBill
09-11-2011, 04:00 PM
I saw him at the Ryans charity bowling event and told him Kerry Collins is a racist. True story.

DocBar
09-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Anyone still wanna trade Mario?For the right deal, hell yeah!!!:kitten:

hradhak
09-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Mario played well. He had some great pressures and looked amazing on the sacks. I'm hoping that he can bring the consistency to his game this season. I also had my doubts that he could make the transition but if he continues to play this well, I see him silencing a lot of critics

Rey
09-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Who blocked him on the play where he forced the intentional grounding.

MEGA SWATT
09-11-2011, 04:31 PM
BEAST:scarygirl:

DocBar
09-11-2011, 04:35 PM
Crow doesn't taste nearly as bad with a side of whoop azz.

prostock101
09-11-2011, 05:18 PM
I wasn't dissing MW but pointing out Clark for barely trying to block him. I thought Mario had a great game and I think he's just going to get better.

chicagotexan2
09-11-2011, 05:24 PM
He looked great whe being blocked by Dallas Clark. He looked good either way and so did the rest of the d. I am happy with the overall play of our d today.

PHAROAH
09-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Great Start for Mario big ups.

badboy
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Mario has played injured a lot over his career. Getting down in the trenches where the real hurt happens and toughing through injuries for damn near every single game doesn't add up to low effort, IMO.

People who think Mario should be traded are just .... well, let's just say there's a reason they don't make decisions in the NFL. Even dumbass Casserly had the good sense to draft the guy.You're Ric Smith and it is week 10. Your record is 7-3 and Mario has 9 sacks and his agent informs you he will be seeking a 6 year $100 million contract with $40m guaranteed and $30m upfront bonus.
What is it going to be Mr. SMith? :slapfight:

TimeKiller
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Yah, he did look good... still didn't look where he should be, but I thought he did well considering his experience at the position....

Ha. Where should he be? Why don't you write it down and send that letter to Wade Phillips.

Tell us how it is....:wadepalm:

cland
09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
You're Ric Smith and it is week 10. Your record is 7-3 and Mario has 9 sacks and his agent informs you he will be seeking a 6 year $100 million contract with $40m guaranteed and $30m upfront bonus.

Sign without thinking.

Lucky
09-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Anyone still wanna trade Mario?
Strike while the iron is hot!!! Williams' trade value will never be higher.

Signed,
Mario Haters, Inc.

You're Ric Smith and it is week 10. Your record is 7-3 and Mario has 9 sacks and his agent informs you he will be seeking a 6 year $100 million contract with $40m guaranteed and $30m upfront bonus.
Rick Smith doesn't have the authority to make that decision. And yes, that's close to the deal Mario will ask for. And the one that Bob McNair will very likely give him.

EllisUnit
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM

:splits: Sign him. Then Add 5 dollars per ticket to make sure u can pay for his new contract :tiphat:

The Cush
09-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Who blocked him on the play where he forced the intentional grounding.

Just rewatched the game. It was #72 Jeff Linkenbach

houstonspartan
09-11-2011, 06:54 PM
DocBar, props to you for coming on and saying what you did. A lot of posters won't admit when they may be wrong about something. You did. Good call.

Kimmy
09-11-2011, 07:15 PM
I was listening to his post game interview on 610, I've never heard him so animated. Ever. Was good to hear

DocBar
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
DocBar, props to you for coming on and saying what you did. A lot of posters won't admit when they may be wrong about something. You did. Good call.Thanks, but this is one of those things I hoped to be wrong about. Besides, when you shout it as long and loudly as I did, it's not like it's deniable or anything.

badboy
09-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Strike while the iron is hot!!! Williams' trade value will never be higher.

Signed,
Mario Haters, Inc.

Rick Smith doesn't have the authority to make that decision. And yes, that's close to the deal Mario will ask for. And the one that Bob McNair will very likely give him.Interesting. How do you know that? I assume McNair signs off but you know Smith can do the deal?

ObsiWan
09-11-2011, 07:43 PM

I don't see that happening in week ten. If at all, it happens after we make the playoffs for the first time.
But I'm curious, were you just proposing this for the sake of discussion or do you think Mario (or his agent) actually think this way? I mean, since when has Mario ever gone all "Pay Me, Rick" in any fashion what so ever?

Lucky
09-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Interesting. How do you know that?
How do I know the sky is blue and water is wet? Experience. Who decided to keep Kubiak? And hired Wade Phillips? Hint: It's not Rick Smith.

Seriously, how can you not know that Rick Smith has the least clout of any GM in the NFL?

badboy
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't see that happening in week ten. If at all, it happens after we make the playoffs for the first time.
But I'm curious, were you just proposing this for the sake of discussion or do you think Mario (or his agent) actually think this way? I mean, since when has Mario ever gone all "Pay Me, Rick" in any fashion what so ever?Nah, I think the agent will ring up management as soon as he has a body of work this season to point to. Not saying a deal will get done immediately but parameters set. It benefits Mario as no guarantee he will do much better if team makes it to playoffs. The millions will be there from somebody. It also benefits Texans to re-sign him as soon as they feel he has the OLB down. It also make him easier to trade with a long term deal signed IF that is what Texans decide to do.

gafftop
09-11-2011, 08:03 PM
For the right deal, hell yeah!!!:kitten:

I will hopefully and happily eat crow after the 4th game of the season. As far as the contract goes I think it would cripple the team and that is part of my reasoning for considering a trade.

fiasco west
09-11-2011, 08:14 PM
I will hopefully and happily eat crow after the 4th game of the season. As far as the contract goes I think it would cripple the team and that is part of my reasoning for considering a trade.

So a pre-season performance weighs more to you? You seemed ready to get rid of Mario after a few meh preseason games.

mexican_texan
09-11-2011, 08:36 PM
That dude in your sig looked pretty dang good for a rookie in his 1st game.

Yes, he does, certainly a DROY candidate. I'm excited about our defense with Watts, Joseph at CB, Mario at LB, Smith beasting it up, and a healthy DeMeco.

However, as far as Mario, it's difficult to judge a player in a contract year. Just look at Albert Haynesworth or Jevon Kearse.

DocBar
09-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Yes, he does, certainly a DROY candidate. I'm excited about our defense with Watts, Joseph at CB, Mario at LB, Smith beasting it up, and a healthy DeMeco.

However, as far as Mario, it's difficult to judge a player in a contract year. Just look at Albert Haynesworth or Jevon Kearse.I hear ya on Haynesworth, but Kearse actually played at a high level before his contract year.
I'm glad we have 1 more very winnable game before we get into the hard part of the schedule. By week 3 or 4, I'd expect the Texans to be very comfortable with the base defense and see some more exotic looks begin to be sprinkled in. New Orleans is gonna be a helluva test on both sides of the ball.

mexican_texan
09-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I hear ya on Haynesworth, but Kearse actually played at a high level before his contract year.
I'm glad we have 1 more very winnable game before we get into the hard part of the schedule. By week 3 or 4, I'd expect the Texans to be very comfortable with the base defense and see some more exotic looks begin to be sprinkled in. New Orleans is gonna be a helluva test on both sides of the ball.
I can't wait for the Saints game, I really want to see Jonathan Joseph go up against an elite QB.

I'm excited about the prospect of having a good defensive back for the first time since we cut Aaron Glenn and signed P-Burnt.

80tothezone
09-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Yep I think I said something like eating crow raw no salt so here goes....

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

IDEXAN
09-11-2011, 08:58 PM
It's not that unusual to match a TE against a 3-4 OLB in pass protection,
but what's unusual and what causes the mismatch is that the OLB would in the 280-290 lb range.

vupac1
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/eham48.jpg

Brandon420tx
09-11-2011, 09:00 PM
It's not that unusual to match a TE against a 3-4 OLB in pass protection,
but what's unusual and what causes the mismatch is that the OLB would in the 280-290 lb range.

Teams are going to start bringing in backup lineman to be "elligible" receivers just for the purpose of blocking Mario

dream_team
09-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Also, don't forget Mario forced Collins to an intentional grounding. Should have been 3 sacks for the day. Anyone know if there's a chance Mario gets credited for a sack there?

Kimmy
09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Mario's sack from the game - love watching this clip

link here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l3m-kYXwQE)

thunderkyss
09-11-2011, 09:58 PM

We'll talk about contracts in February Mr. AgentMan.

While that is a reasonable ball park, if your client wants to sniff a contract anything at all like that, You better wake him the F@$# up.

Because you're talking defensive player of the year money.... or Super Bowl MVP money & he's not that right now.

Kimmy
09-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Also, don't forget Mario forced Collins to an intentional grounding. Should have been 3 sacks for the day. Anyone know if there's a chance Mario gets credited for a sack there?

I think (and I am blonde, so forgive me here) but it is counted as a sack for the QB only. I could be wrong. My ears are still ringing, body temperature is finally cooling down and I'm whipped!

thunderkyss
09-11-2011, 10:18 PM
I think (and I am blonde, so forgive me here) but it is counted as a sack for the QB only. I could be wrong. My ears are still ringing, body temperature is finally cooling down and I'm whipped!

That's right. It's counted as a sack for the QB, they lose the down, it's a spot foul...... but Mario doesn't get the credit.

Tango
09-11-2011, 10:29 PM
"Looks like he can play outside linebacker to me," (Wade Phillips) ;)

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Mario-s-position-change-pays-immediate-dividends-2165798.php

BullNation4Life
09-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Pay the man, becasue a smart GM wouldn't base a players contract on just sacks alone.....

only fans do that....

Rey
09-11-2011, 10:44 PM
"Looks like he can play outside linebacker to me," (Wade Phillips) ;)

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Mario-s-position-change-pays-immediate-dividends-2165798.php

Based on that article it appears I was right in that the texans never intended on drafting an olb in the first.

ChampionTexan
09-12-2011, 01:29 AM

Isn't the trade deadline the Tuesday after week 6? If so, I'll tell you what I wouldn't do, I wouldn't try to trade him as that would make me look pretty stupid to the other GMs.

BigBull17
09-12-2011, 07:41 AM

To me it looked like Wade was able to game plan him into being 1 on 1 with Clark. It's what happends when you have a real DC. Fun stuff.

El Tejano
09-12-2011, 08:44 AM
I also believe Caldwell had no idea what we were doing and they were limited to what they could do. That being said, does anyone see if we blitzed alot or stayed base package the whole day? I get this feeling we still didn't draw up a bunch of blitzes.

Vinny
09-12-2011, 08:46 AM
He still plays too high when he stands up, but he exceeded my expectations yesterday based on the preseason. I think the way Wade uses him (he had his hand down quite a bit) is going to work out just fine.

silvrhand
09-12-2011, 10:14 AM
It's one game against a team that tried to block him with a TE most of the day. Let's see how the rest of the season goes, right now if he continues to play at this level I'll hold up a sign and take a picture saying I was wrong about Mario and I'll eat my humble pie.

silvrhand
09-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Based on that article it appears I was right in that the texans never intended on drafting an olb in the first.

No they just drafted a DE and knew they were converting him to OLB, aka Brooks Reed.

HOU-TEX
09-12-2011, 10:25 AM
I haven't re-watched the game yet, so I'm not sure if it was our defensive alignment or just the Colts putting Clark on Mario. If it was the Colts then it'd be hard to find a bigger fail on their part. Either way, good game Mario

On another note.....where was Barwin? :hides:

beerlover
09-12-2011, 10:26 AM
He still plays too high when he stands up, but he exceeded my expectations yesterday based on the preseason. I think the way Wade uses him (he had his hand down quite a bit) is going to work out just fine.

this ^^^^ I think we're all getting hung up on nomenclature categorizing Mario Williams as OLB. To me he's a "Hybrid DE" who's primary function is to still rush the passer, set the edge & stop the run.

Seņor Stan
09-12-2011, 10:28 AM
I haven't re-watched the game yet, so I'm not sure if it was our defensive alignment or just the Colts putting Clark on Mario. If it was the Colts then it'd be hard to find a bigger fail on their part. Either way, good game Mario

On another note.....where was Barwin? :hides:

Hell, when they first announced that Mario was moving to OLB the talk was that they would put Dallas Clark into motion to his side. This would force Mario to cover Clark on his route. Turns out that it was Clark that couldn't handle Mario...

GlassHalfFull
09-12-2011, 10:38 AM
Yeah, Joe Reitz is not very good. You can blame Kerry Collins(notes) for that Colts performance today if you want to, and it's true, he wasn't very good. Keep in mind, though, that he's been a Colt for all of about five minutes, and Mario Williams(notes) had more physical access to Collins today than Collins' wife ever has. It's not like you can ask the guy to be Peyton Manning(notes).

:spit:

Shutdown Corner (http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Sunday-8217-s-five-least-valuable-players-Week?urn=nfl-wp6958)

SteveSlaton20
09-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I saw him at the Ryans charity bowling event and told him Kerry Collins is a racist. True story.

haha. next time you see him, you should tell him that big ben said mario is weak and slow. and for drew brees, brees hates 6'6'' OLB's.

Hookem Horns
09-12-2011, 02:15 PM
MW looked decent yesterday but I still can't help but wonder just where this team would be if we would've drafted Reggie Bush or Vince Young.

Rey
09-12-2011, 02:29 PM
No they just drafted a DE and knew they were converting him to OLB, aka Brooks Reed.

What?

Rey
09-12-2011, 02:44 PM
this ^^^^ I think we're all getting hung up on nomenclature categorizing Mario Williams as OLB. To me he's a "Hybrid DE" who's primary function is to still rush the passer, set the edge & stop the run.

Ditto.

But one difference is alignment. He's playing out wider than he normally has and because of that it's harder to double him...Not impossible, but the 34 makes the o-line spread out more giving defensive players more room to operate when rushing the passer...

Thorn
09-12-2011, 02:54 PM
MW looked decent yesterday but I still can't help but wonder just where this team would be if we would've drafted Reggie Bush or Vince Young.

Well, since you asked...... I think Vince Young had a decent chance of working out here if we had taken him instead of getting Schaub. I think he might have been able to keep his head togeater playing in Houston and for Kubiak. Maybe. That's just a guess. Hindsight is perfect though, and Schaub is DA Man!!!!!

Reggie Bust would have been a bust here just like he was in New Orleans, or for any other team that took his over rated butt.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
MW looked decent yesterday but I still can't help but wonder just where this team would be if we would've drafted Reggie Bush or Vince Young.I'm chuckling at this, but I really want to neg rep you...:choke:

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 05:41 PM
People who think Mario should be traded are just .... well, let's just say there's a reason they don't make decisions in the NFL. Even dumbass Casserly had the good sense to draft the guy.

:rolleyes: people who are willing to discuss a Mario trade aren't dumbasses, they're just people who have a different opinion than you. There's nothing wrong with discussing a trade, especially when you have excellent depth at that position and said player is in a contract year and your team is already cap strapped.

ObsiWan
09-12-2011, 05:52 PM

You're serious aren't you?
There's no way to answer that question accurately.

So, let it go.

They ain't here. They ain't comin'.

Let it go.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 05:59 PM
:rolleyes: people who are willing to discuss a Mario trade aren't dumbasses, they're just people who have a different opinion than you. There's nothing wrong with discussing a trade, especially when you have excellent depth at that position and said player is in a contract year and your team is already cap strapped.AJ is about the only player on my untouchable list and that's not written in stone. If I got a Herschel Walker deal on my desk, it would be tough as hell not to pull the trigger. There are very,very few players in this league who should be absolutely untouchable.
Herschel Walker trade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade)
Of course, it helps if you have good personnel guys in the FO.:spy:

Lucky
09-12-2011, 06:08 PM
You need your sarcasm meter overhauled. He wasn't in the same galaxy as serious.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 06:10 PM

So, let it go.

Let it go.Wow, Obsi. Even I picked up the sarcasm on that one. :rake:

Lucky
09-12-2011, 06:17 PM
There's nothing wrong with discussing a trade, especially when you have excellent depth at that position and...
Wait, what excellent depth? The Texans have 2 rookies as OLB backups. No, discussing a trade of your best defensive player in-season (when your looking to get to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history) is, was, and will be dumb. It's not going to happen, and it shouldn't happen.

Of course if Mario having an excellent game during perhaps the team's greatest performance in franchise history won't stop the trade talk among some fans, it's not going to stop.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Wait, what excellent depth? The Texans have 2 rookies as OLB backups. No, discussing a trade of your best defensive player in-season (when your looking to get to the playoffs for the first time in franchise history) is, was, and will be dumb. It's not going to happen, and it shouldn't happen.

Of course if Mario having an excellent game during perhaps the team's greatest performance in franchise history won't stop the trade talk among some fans, it's not going to stop.Wouldn't that be one excellent game against an opponent who was mortally wounded before the contest even started? As I stated earlier, come with a Herschel Walker caliber trade, The Texans should talk. Not necessarily pull the trigger, but at least consider it.

ObsiWan
09-12-2011, 06:23 PM
You need your sarcasm meter overhauled. He wasn't in the same galaxy as serious.

Wow, Obsi. Even I picked up the sarcasm on that one. :rake:

Hell, I didn't see no sign.
But I'll rep him for getting to me.
It's only fair.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Hell, I didn't see no sign.
But I'll rep him for getting to me.
It's only fair.Good show, old chap.

Hookem Horns
09-12-2011, 08:07 PM

So, let it go.

Let it go.

I was thinking of some scenarios. MW and a 2nd round pick for VY. Schaub straight up for Reggie Bush. Can you imagine how brilliant we would look if pulled off that coup? The Eagles might not take that deal since VY has turned that team into a "Dream Team" however it might get done if we throw in another pick or upgrade the 2nd to a 1st. I do think the Dolphins would do the Bush deal though ... OK I thought that until Henne just threw that awesome TD pass. Maybe we will need to throw in some picks here too.

Whatever it takes though. The mere thought of VY/Bush in the same backfield is getting me riled up as I type this. We would be unstoppable.

;)

GP
09-12-2011, 08:11 PM
AJ is about the only player on my untouchable list and that's not written in stone. If I got a Herschel Walker deal on my desk, it would be tough as hell not to pull the trigger. There are very,very few players in this league who should be absolutely untouchable.
Herschel Walker trade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade)
Of course, it helps if you have good personnel guys in the FO.:spy:

NFL changed their rules after that trade. There can never be another trade as lopsided as that one. Someone can try it, but the Commish would deny it.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 08:13 PM
NFL changed their rules after that trade. There can never be another trade as lopsided as that one. Someone can try it, but the Commish would deny it.Then kick the commish in the nuts.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 08:58 PM

Of course if Mario having an excellent game during perhaps the team's greatest performance in franchise history won't stop the trade talk among some fans, it's not going to stop.

Well if you feel Mario Williams is our best defensive player, I can see why you'd feel that way.

GP
09-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Well if you feel Mario Williams is our best defensive player, I can see why you'd feel that way.

I just want to know what a new Mario Williams contract is going to do for us, in terms of impacting our overall cap space and future HUGE payoff to Arian Foster.

How in the hell are we going to afford Schaub, Foster, Mario, and many more guys that are wanting better, more expensive deals? As we get better, what degree of difficulty emerges with contracts of all these players?

It's to that end that I wonder if we can survive the Mario Williams and Arian Foster contracts that are sure to come, and sure to be massive in dollar amount. I'm no cap guru, so I ask this genuinely.

thunderkyss
09-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Wouldn't that be one excellent game against an opponent who was mortally wounded before the contest even started? As I stated earlier, come with a Herschel Walker caliber trade, The Texans should talk. Not necessarily pull the trigger, but at least consider it.

He's had games where he sacked Manning twice before as well. He's actually had better games when Manning played. The difference is that Manning has been able to overcome better than Collins.

Lucky
09-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Who do you think is? Brooks Reed?

thunderkyss
09-12-2011, 09:22 PM
I just want to know what a new Mario Williams contract is going to do for us, in terms of impacting our overall cap space and future HUGE payoff to Arian Foster.

How in the hell are we going to afford Schaub, Foster, Mario, and many more guys that are wanting better, more expensive deals? As we get better, what degree of difficulty emerges with contracts of all these players?

That's for Rick Smith to figure out. Man is getting a paycheck for something. If he can't figure out simple arithmetic, then I suggest a Rick Smith trade.

Lucky
09-12-2011, 09:25 PM
That's for Rick Smith to figure out. Man is getting a paycheck for something. If he can't figure out simple arithmetic, then I suggest a Rick Smith trade.
Repped.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Who do you think is? Brooks Reed?

Umm yeah I obviously think a rookie who hasn't even had his first career start is the best defensive player on this team. :rolleyes:

Antonio Smith has been the best defensive player on this team for the past year. Here's to Mario getting lined up 1 on 1 against TEs all year long though. Whoever on the Colts staff who was responsible for that needs to be fired.

Rey
09-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Umm yeah I obviously think a rookie who hasn't even had his first career start is the best defensive player on this team. :rolleyes:

Antonio Smith has been the best defensive player on this team for the past year. Here's to Mario getting lined up 1 on 1 against TEs all year long though. Whoever on the Colts staff who was responsible for that needs to be fired.

Antonio is a good player. But to say he is better than Mario is ludicrous.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:17 PM
edit

Fred
09-12-2011, 10:20 PM

I'm still waiting for DaleMurphy to come into this thread with his detailed analysis proving that Mario just had the worst game in history, and that everything that it looked like he did well was actually done by Antonio Smith.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:21 PM

Umm..no it's not. Antonio was our best defensive lineman last season (yes even with Mario on the line) and he made more of a impact this preseason and matched Mario week 1. Mario is put in a position to make more plays in this defense, yet Antonio still keeps matching him or surpassing him. Ludicrous huh? Mario Williams in not the best defensive player on this team and by seasons end J.J. Watt will probably pass him as well. It's no longer blasphemy to suggest that he's not our best defender, we have talent on that side of the ball now.

Texan_Bill
09-12-2011, 10:22 PM

Not so much!!! Antonio Smith drives that little engine called "D".... I'm not knocking Mario, but really, right now Antonio is 'driving' the "D"!!! Anything short of admitting that, is just disingenuous.

Lucky
Antonio Smith has been the best defensive player on this team for the past year.
I don't think anyone in the NFL would agree with you. Put it this way, if both Williams and Smith were on the open market, who would draw the most interest? You know the answer.

Texan_Bill
edit

Damnit!! What did I miss before the *edit*??? :foottap: ?

Rey
09-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Umm..no it's not. Antonio was our best defensive lineman last season (yes even with Mario on the line) and he made more of a impact this preseason and matched Mario week 1. Mario is put in a position to make more plays in this defense, yet Antonio still keeps matching him or surpassing him. Ludicrous huh? Mario Williams in not the best defensive player on this team and by seasons end J.J. Watt will probably pass him as well. It's no longer blasphemy to suggest that he's not our best defender, we have talent on that side of the ball now.

Mario is put in position to be a playmaker because he is a better player.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:27 PM
I don't think anyone in the NFL would agree with you. Put it this way, if both Williams and Smith were on the open market, who would draw the most interest? You know the answer.

Williams would get more interest, because he's a physical specimen who looks the part and he gets sexier stats. Still doesn't change the fact that Antonio Smith has been the better player in this defense. Don't really care what anyone else thinks.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:28 PM
Mario is put in position to be a playmaker because he is a better athlete.

corrected.

Rey
09-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Not so much!!! Antonio Smith drives that little engine called "D".... I'm not knocking Mario, but really, right now Antonio is 'driving' the "D"!!! Anything short of admitting that, is just disingenuous.

Antonio is a good player and I won't put him down because I think Mario is better, but to say he is driving the defense is disingenuous at best, insane at worst.

Rey
09-12-2011, 10:32 PM
f'd it up.

Corrected.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Antonio is a good player and I won't put him down because I think Mario is better, but to say he is driving the defense is disingenuous at best, insane at worst.

How so...

Oh I know, because you said so right? :rolleyes:

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
weak sauce.

What were you saying again? At least try to be original.

Rey
09-12-2011, 10:38 PM
How so...

Oh I know, because you said so right? :rolleyes:

Well gee, I thought we were all stating opinions. Pretty sorry to pull that card out on a message board. IMO.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Well gee, I thought we were all stating opinions. Pretty sorry to pull that card out on a message board. IMO.

:vincepalm: Coming from the guy who blasted another's poster's opinion and called it insane.

Rey
09-12-2011, 10:42 PM
What were you saying again? At least try to be original.

Seems like you are leaning towards making this personal. Maybe you are offended I said your idea was ludicrous. I'll choose my words better next time.

Either way I completely disagree with your thoughts on Mario and I'm fine leaving it at that.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Seems like you are leaning towards making this personal. Maybe you are offended I said your idea was ludicrous. I'll choose my words better next time.

Either way I completely disagree with your thoughts on Mario and I'm fine leaving it at that.

How am I making this personal? LOL, you're the one calling people ludicrous or saying their opinions are insane. You're also saying they "F'ed up"....nobody "leaned" towards making this personal except you.

Lucky
09-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Don't really care what anyone else thinks.
Then I guess I'll stop engaging you in discussion. Sorry for wasting your time.

Rey
09-12-2011, 10:52 PM
How am I making this personal? LOL, you're the one calling people ludicrous or saying their opinions are insane. You're also saying they "F'ed up"....nobody "leaned" towards making this personal except you.

Your comprehension is poor IMO.

I called the idea ludicrous. The post. I didn't direct any comment at any individual.

Go back and read. I aknowledged that I could have chosen my words better but i guess you missed it in your haste to over use the vincepalm and the LOL as if that somehow gives your post more credence.

I now know you are sensitive to having your ideas challenged so I won't do it anymore. Or maybe I'll just use the kid gloves when I do.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Your comprehension is poor IMO.

I called the idea ludicrous. The post. I didn't direct any comment at any individual.

Go back and read. I aknowledged that I could have chosen my words better but i guess you missed it in your haste to over use the vincepalm and the LOL as if that somehow gives your post more credence.

See post #105, yep you never directed any comment at any individual. :rolleyes: my reading comprehension is fine. "IMO" Thank you very much and stop trying to blow smoke up my rear end.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Then I guess I'll stop engaging you in discussion. Sorry for wasting your time.

I don't need to read something in a press release in order to form a opinion, that's what I meant. I'm a free thinker and form my own opinions on what I see with my own two eyes.

Rey
09-12-2011, 11:02 PM
See post #105, yep you never directed any comment at any individual. :rolleyes: my reading comprehension is fine. Thank you very much and stop trying to blow smoke up my rear end.

Well that pretty much confirmed my thoughts. Nice chattin with ya bro.

*back to mario*

I think he will perform very well in his role this season and I think he has to if our defense is going to live up to expectations.

IMO, he is the key to the success of the front 7. I've seen a lot of talk about him beating te's but I heard very little about reed getting his sacks against rb's and air during the pre season.

Also, Mario beat an offensive tackle on the Kerry Collins grounding call.

I've heard many times on the board that Mario is often blocked by te's then when he abuses one it's a knock against him as well? I guess.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 11:18 PM

LOL, nice copout.

How in hell did a post where I specifically pointed out where you indeed did "direct a comment at a individual" confirm your thoughts? Seriously, that doesn't even make sense.

Oh well, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Some are just stinkier than others and before you even reply, I'll save you the time. You obviously think I'm the stinkiest one here, but the feeling is mutual.

Rey
09-12-2011, 11:25 PM
LOL, nice copout.

How in hell did a post where I specifically pointed out where you indeed did "direct a comment at a individual" confirm your thoughts? Seriously, that doesn't even make sense.

Oh well, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. Some are just stinkier than others and before you even reply, I'll save you the time. You obviously think I'm the stinkiest one here, but the feeling is mutual.

:vincepalm: :wadepalm: LOL LOL

In the post you quoted I simply said that instead of "fixing" the comment, as you proclaimed, that you "f'd it up".

Ban me?

I have no clue how you are seeing that as a personal attack.

Ok seriously, I'm done. Don't like getting into these kind of discussions in threads.

Lucky
09-12-2011, 11:30 PM
I've heard many times on the board that Mario is often blocked by te's then when he abuses one it's a knock against him as well? I guess.
I think Wade Phillips also deserves credit for lining Williams up wide, often outside the TE. Thus forcing the TE to pickup Mario and creating the mismatch.

There was a lot of second guessing of Phillips after the announcement that Williams would move to OLB. It was definitely outside the box. Looks like he knew what he was doing.

Let me ask this to the trade Mario proponents: What are the chances of Mario being traded this season? 50%? 10% 1%?

Zero percent is the correct answer. And I think everyone knows this, as well. So why do we continue to read these posts about trading Mario when we all know it will not happen? Where's the reality check?

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Ok seriously, I'm done. Don't like getting into these kind of discussions in threads.

And so am I, it's pointless to chat with someone who automatically relieves himself of all accountability for what he types and then tries to throw blame elsewhere. Frankly it is a waste of time.

Good night.

Carr Bombed
09-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Zero percent is the correct answer. And I think everyone knows this, as well. So why do we continue to read these posts about trading Mario when we all know it will not happen? Where's the reality check?

So let me get this straight. We're not allowed to talk about anything that the Texans won't do. Won't that erase about half the threads on this board? This is a message board correct? I thought all discussion was welcome.

I never said I'd give Mario Williams away for peanuts. However since he is in a contract year (and we're cap strapped), if a team offered up the right bounty, I would entertain the thought of moving him. Sorry, didn't know that line of thought was illegal here.

Rey
09-12-2011, 11:40 PM
I think Wade Phillips also deserves credit for lining Williams up wide, often outside the TE. Thus forcing the TE to pickup Mario and creating the mismatch.

There was a lot of second guessing of Phillips after the announcement that Williams would move to OLB. It was definitely outside the box. Looks like he knew what he was doing.

The broadcast guys were saying that as well. And I think kubiak even mentioned it after the game.

Instead of having Mario at de and having a lb outside if him going against the tackle and occasional te, Mario is the guy getting the te matchups.

Rey
09-12-2011, 11:44 PM
So let me get this straight. We're not allowed to talk about anything that the Texans won't do. Won't that erase about half the threads on this board? This is a message board correct? I thought all discussion was welcome.

I never said I'd give Mario Williams away for peanuts. However since he is in a contract year (and we're cap strapped), if a team offered up the right bounty, I would entertain the thought of moving him. Sorry, didn't know that line of thought was illegal here.

If you're getting good players in return wouldn't they have or eventually want big contracts too?

Who are we trading for that is going to keep the team just as good or make it better AND relieve cap space for the upcoming years?

If the goal is to win this year at all cost, I don't see how it makes any sense to trade Mario.

Lucky
09-12-2011, 11:45 PM
So let me get this straight. We're not allowed to talk about anything that the Texans won't do.
So you agree that the Texans won't trade Mario during the season?

The Texans should be trying to make the playoffs and, yes I'll say it, win a championship. They have a better chance of doing that with Mario than without him. Yet, there's an element of fans who seem more concerned with how much $$$ a player makes and how the Texans will handle the salary cap. I'm not saying that managing the salary cap is not an important aspect of running a NFL franchise. But during the season, the object is to win. Everything else is secondary. So make imaginary trades of Mario with impunity. Because it's strictly a fantasy.

b0ng
09-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Williams would get more interest, because he's a physical specimen who looks the part and he gets sexier stats. Still doesn't change the fact that Antonio Smith has been the better player in this defense. Don't really care what anyone else thinks.

That isn't a fact, that's a ridiculous opinion held by you and dalemurphy. Don't confuse the two. Thanks in advance.

noxiousdog
09-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Antonio Smith is a nice player, but nobody is going to offer him $100 million this off season.

Carr Bombed
09-13-2011, 12:49 AM
That isn't a fact, that's a ridiculous opinion held by you and dalemurphy. Don't confuse the two. Thanks in advance.

You're absolutely correct, in terms it isn't a "fact", but guess what else "isn't a fact"..the proclamation that Mario is our best defender, and who the heck is "dalemurphy" and why are my posts tied to his while other posters have the same opinion? Salutations in advance though, because I don't really understand what the hell you were thanking me "in advance" about? I didn't do you a "solid" and I never did anything for you in general. No "thanks' is needed here.

Carr Bombed
09-13-2011, 12:50 AM
Antonio Smith is a nice player, but nobody is going to offer him $100 million this off season.

Thank you...your post is EXACTLY WHY I WAS OPEN TO A TRADE PROPOSAL. Again...Thank you, because guess who else IS NOT WORTH 100 MILLION DOLLARS TO THIS TEAM NEXT SEASON. I'll give you a hint..his name rhymes with Wario Billions and that's about as much as it would cost to keep him around next season. In all things considered, we simply cannot afford the guy.

b0ng
09-13-2011, 06:43 AM
You're absolutely correct, in terms it isn't a "fact", but guess what else "isn't a fact"..the proclamation that Mario is our best defender, and who the heck is "dalemurphy" and why are my posts tied to his while other posters have the same opinion? Salutations in advance though, because I don't really understand what the hell you were thanking me "in advance" about? I didn't do you a "solid" and I never did anything for you in general. No "thanks' is needed here.

Not sure why you are trying to beat your chest over me saying Mario is the best when that didn't happen in the post you are responding to but okay, I guess you need something to rage over. It's even funnier that you pretend not to know who dalemurphy (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=202) is even though you and I both know that he's a fairly prolific poster here who writes for the bullblog and has tried to proclaim the same points you have, badly. But you are right, you and he aren't the only one who share the opinion that Antonio Smith is some sort of defensive wizard, even though he hasn't really produced as such, most of the idiotstick chron commenters probably share the same uninformed and wrong opinion as well, so congrats with that, there's some elite company you have there.

No, the thanks in advance was in hopes you wouldn't keep trying to state your opinion as the end all be-all of this conversation, but you just can't seem to help yourself. This schtick works a lot better when you're trolling the Jaguars forum.

Thank you...your post is EXACTLY WHY I WAS OPEN TO A TRADE PROPOSAL. Again...Thank you, because guess who else IS NOT WORTH 100 MILLION DOLLARS TO THIS TEAM NEXT SEASON. I'll give you a hint..his name rhymes with Wario Billions and that's about as much as it would cost to keep him around next season. In all things considered, we simply cannot afford the guy.

Hey look, all caps and bold posting of some more opinions stated as fact. Are you a capologist? A GM? How do you know how much Mario Williams is going to cost us or any other team to sign him? Whats your inside track? What makes you so sure of all this nonsense your regurgitating onto my screen and trying make sound as though it's gospel from up on high? I guess we can only afford to have 1 really good player on the team? Not sure what your angle is here.

feel free to quote this and while acting indignant because people have the gall to disagree with you, it's fun. It reminds me of arguing with my 6 year old daughter who doesn't know shit about shit.

Carr Bombed
09-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Not sure why you are trying to beat your chest over me saying Mario is the best when that didn't happen in the post you are responding to but okay, I guess you need something to rage over. It's even funnier that you pretend not to know who dalemurphy (http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=202) is even though you and I both know that he's a fairly prolific poster here who writes for the bullblog and has tried to proclaim the same points you have, badly. But you are right, you and he aren't the only one who share the opinion that Antonio Smith is some sort of defensive wizard, even though he hasn't really produced as such, most of the idiotstick chron commenters probably share the same uninformed and wrong opinion as well, so congrats with that, there's some elite company you have there.

Oh lord, get over yourself.... you aren't even the poster who said Mario was the best defender on this defense. Lucky was. Stop trying to steal the show.

No, the thanks in advance was in hopes you wouldn't keep trying to state your opinion as the end all be-all of this conversation, but you just can't seem to help yourself. This schtick works a lot better when you're trolling the Jaguars forum.

Yep, I've been trolling that board for 8 years, because that's what trolls do.....set up a account and troll the same board for 8 freaking years. genius. :rolleyes:

Hey look, all caps and bold posting of some more opinions stated as fact. Are you a capologist? A GM? How do you know how much Mario Williams is going to cost us or any other team to sign him? Whats your inside track? What makes you so sure of all this nonsense your regurgitating onto my screen and trying make sound as though it's gospel from up on high? I guess we can only afford to have 1 really good player on the team? Not sure what your angle is here.

feel free to quote this and while acting indignant because people have the gall to disagree with you, it's fun. It reminds me of arguing with my 6 year old daughter who doesn't know shit about shit.

LOL, sorry, but you are a moron. I'm not even the one who first mentioned a 100 million dollar contract. I was simply replying to a post.

Yep I'm a make believe capologist, because I reply to another poster who brought up how much Mario might demand, but I'm sure you already knew that...somebody just wanted to be a diva :rolleyes:

Carr Bombed
09-13-2011, 07:22 AM
BTW, Who the hell wastes the time arguing with a 6 year old girl? She's 6 and you are a adult, there is no argument to be had.

ObsiWan
09-13-2011, 07:26 AM

Sooo, just for the sake of civilized discussion, what's the "right bounty"? To make this plausible, let's pick a couple of teams who really need defensive help like Miami or K.C. or who are known wheeler-dealers like New England or Washington or Philly. I just threw those out there but if you have more plausible trading partners, let's hear it.

For the record, this is solely a hypothetical discussion. Because, i reality, I'm with Lucky, I don't believe they'd trade Mario this particular season, no way, no how. But I am morbidly curious to see what folks think Mario might bring.

Keep in mind Rick Smith's record on blockbuster trades - he doesn't have one.

...oh and please, no trading him within the division. The last thing I'd want is to face a pissed off Mario twice a year. That still leaves 28 other teams.

b0ng
09-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Oh lord, get over yourself.... you aren't even the poster who said Mario was the best defender on this defense. Lucky was. Stop trying to steal the show.

Quit getting confused then and trying to beat Lucky over the head while quoting my posts. You'll probably do a lot better then and would be able to actually respond in an intelligent manner than just LOL.

Yep, I've been trolling that board for 8 years, because that's what trolls do.....set up a account and troll the same board for 8 freaking years. genius. :rolleyes:

Just because you set up an account over there with the expressed intent of pissing off the Jaguars fans and have done so for 8 years doesn't mean it's not trolling. It's still trolling.

LOL, sorry, but you are a moron. I'm not even the one who first mentioned a 100 million dollar contract. I was simply replying to a post.

Attack the post not the poster. Would you like it if I called you an internet addicted retard who couldn't form an opinion unless somebody else gave it to you? No, you probably wouldn't.

Yep I'm a make believe capologist, because I reply to another poster who brought up how much Mario might demand, but I'm sure you already knew that...somebody just wanted to be a diva :rolleyes:

Then quit trying to pass yourself off as one, because you aren't. This little fantasy of "trade mario" is getting comical now with the ends you go to defend yourself about it. Please tell me more about trading away Mario Williams while he's still under contract and how it's at all even feasible, much less an actual thing, and not something that another person cooked up in the offseason that you have decided to run with now that it's apparent that Mario Williams is actually going to be alright playing his spot. No really, I even got my popcorn ready.

http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/data/roadbike/500/get-your-popcorn-ready.jpg

Carr Bombed
09-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Sooo, just for the sake of civilized discussion, what's the "right bounty"? To make this plausible, let's pick a couple of teams who really need defensive help like Miami or K.C. or who are known wheeler-dealers like New England or Washington or Philly. I just threw those out there but if you have more plausible trading partners, let's hear it.

For the record, this is solely a hypothetical discussion. Because, i reality, I'm with Lucky, I don't believe they'd trade Mario this particular season, no way, no how. But I am morbidly curious to see what folks think Mario might bring.

Keep in mind Rick Smith's record on blockbuster trades - he doesn't have one.

...oh and please, no trading him within the division. The last thing I'd want is to face a pissed off Mario twice a year. That still leaves 28 other teams.

Holy crap, what a concept....a poster who actually wants to have a discussion and not just insult another poster.

Unlike the idiot "mighty gwinn" who only thinks we can get a 3rd round pick for Mario, I think we could get at least a 1st and a 3rd. Look I don't think he's a crap player and he's talented as hell. However if the right offer was offered I'd pull the trigger, because we need help elsewhere and I'm sorry if that puts some people's panties in a bunch.

Carr Bombed
09-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Quit getting confused then and trying to beat Lucky over the head while quoting my posts. You'll probably do a lot better then and would be able to actually respond in an intelligent manner than just LOL.

Just because you set up an account over there with the expressed intent of pissing off the Jaguars fans and have done so for 8 years doesn't mean it's not trolling. It's still trolling.

Attack the post not the poster. Would you like it if I called you an internet addicted retard who couldn't form an opinion unless somebody else gave it to you? No, you probably wouldn't.

Then quit trying to pass yourself off as one, because you aren't. This little fantasy of "trade mario" is getting comical now with the ends you go to defend yourself about it. Please tell me more about trading away Mario Williams while he's still under contract and how it's at all even feasible, much less an actual thing, and not something that another person cooked up in the offseason that you have decided to run with now that it's apparent that Mario Williams is actually going to be alright playing his spot. No really, I even got my popcorn ready.

http://gallery.roadbikereview.com/data/roadbike/500/get-your-popcorn-ready.jpg

LOL holy shit..

You have issues. Nice internet tough guy imitation. :spit: Trust me you can't see it, but I'm seriously shaking over here. People who argue with 6 year old girls scare the absolute crap out of me.

thunderkyss
09-13-2011, 07:41 AM

*back to mario*

I think he will perform very well in his role this season and I think he has to if our defense is going to live up to expectations.

IMO, he is the key to the success of the front 7. I've seen a lot of talk about him beating te's but I heard very little about reed getting his sacks against rb's and air during the pre season.

Also, Mario beat an offensive tackle on the Kerry Collins grounding call.

I remember back to the Denver game... I think it was a Monday night, we were wearing battle red... it might have been a Thursday.

Mario sacked Cutler like 3 times & it was regarded as his best game to date.

Mario rushed Cutler from a two point stance many times that night. Kubiak said Mario felt more comfortable, Mario said he felt more comfortable & they said we were going to be doing more of that..... didn't really happen.

So the idea of Mario standing up & rushing from the outside goes way back, it didn't start with Wade Phillips.

But Wade's defense puts some structure to it & allows him to put his hand on the ground in critical situations.

I like it.

thunderkyss
09-13-2011, 07:44 AM

If he's in a contract year, why would another team offer anything for him instead of waiting for him to get cut, franchised, or resigned?????

Carr Bombed
09-13-2011, 07:48 AM
If he's in a contract year, why would another team offer anything for him instead of waiting for him to get cut, franchised, or resigned?????

Simple...just like any other team trading for a player who's in a contract year, they'll negotiate a new contract or at least agree to move forward on a new contract before the trade is made. I believe we did the same thing with Matt Schaub when that trade was made.

Carr Bombed
09-13-2011, 07:54 AM
I remember back to the Denver game... I think it was a Monday night, we were wearing battle red... it might have been a Thursday.

Mario sacked Cutler like 3 times & it was regarded as his best game to date.

Mario rushed Cutler from a two point stance many times that night. Kubiak said Mario felt more comfortable, Mario said he felt more comfortable & they said we were going to be doing more of that..... didn't really happen.

So the idea of Mario standing up & rushing from the outside goes way back, it didn't start with Wade Phillips.

But Wade's defense puts some structure to it & allows him to put his hand on the ground in critical situations.

I like it.

I remember that game well also, it was also Amobi Okoye's best game as a pro....however Mario got all his sacks from a 3 point stance. You can see it here on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dImtYvSUKc

BigBull17
09-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Holy crap, what a concept....a poster who actually wants to have a discussion and not just insult another poster.

Unlike the idiot "mighty gwinn" who only thinks we can get a 3rd round pick for Mario, I think we could get at least a 1st and a 3rd. Look I don't think he's a crap player and he's talented as hell. However if the right offer was offered I'd pull the trigger, because we need help elsewhere and I'm sorry if that puts some people's panties in a bunch.

Trading your best or second best player fro a 1st and a 3rd is very risky. It borders on dumb, cause what if you miss on those picks? What if a guy gets seriously injured and you gave away Mario for nada. If you could do a player for player swap and get a good player or 2 than you are good. It's just a huge gamble. If a team offered a lone 3rd, I would hang up the phone.

michaelm
09-13-2011, 09:28 AM
Trading your best or second best player fro a 1st and a 3rd is very risky. It borders on dumb, cause what if you miss on those picks? What if a guy gets seriously injured and you gave away Mario for nada. If you could do a player for player swap and get a good player or 2 than you are good. It's just a huge gamble. If a team offered a lone 3rd, I would hang up the phone.

Teams trade players under those circumstances if they think the player will leave as a free agent the next year, and the team will get nothing in return. The thought is that it's better to get something now than nothing later.

BigBull17
09-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Teams trade players under those circumstances if they think the player will leave as a free agent the next year, and the team will get nothing in return. The thought is that it's better to get something now than nothing later.

Thats what the tag is for. Trading him mid season for a 1 and a 3 is silly. That should be a last resort if he wants to leave or isnt grasping the defense.

gary
09-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Regardless the Texans are going to have some work to do in order to keep both Williams and Foster.

Carr Bombed
09-13-2011, 10:11 AM

The 1st and 3rd picks is more of a reflection of what I think Mario's trade value is. I'd rather get a player who can help us now for him.

Ole Miss Texan
09-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Regardless the Texans are going to have some work to do in order to keep both Williams and Foster.
True, and honestly I see Williams as the more likely to stay if it came down to the two. It feels weird saying because Foster is so damn good.

beerlover
09-13-2011, 10:33 AM
True, and honestly I see Williams as the more likely to stay if it came down to the two. It feels weird saying because Foster is so damn good.

Risk assessment required but right now might be a good time to make things right with Arian? He is still playing under his rookie, undrafted contract, signficantly under paid in comparison to the 14 million Mario pulls.

Rey
09-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Trading Mario away for draft picks this year would be a good reason to fire Rick Smith. Well, actually, he doesn't have the authority to make that move on his own.

Honestly, I don't see how any conversation regarding trading Mario this year makes any sense at all. But that's JMO.

gary
09-13-2011, 10:40 AM
True, and honestly I see Williams as the more likely to stay if it came down to the two. It feels weird saying because Foster is so damn good.Would I like to keep both of them? Sure, but reality tells me that it just is not very likely to happen. :thisbig:We'll see.

beerlover
09-13-2011, 10:47 AM
Would I like to keep both of them? Sure, but reality tells me that it just is not very likely to happen. :thisbig:We'll see.

Smith/Kubiak have done well keeping perceived foundation pieces in place. Andre, DeMeco, Owen, Schaub so I see no reason why both cannot be retained. Unless there is something behind the scenes we don't know about?

ChampionTexan
09-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Risk assessment required but right now might be a good time to make things right with Arian? He is still playing under his rookie, undrafted contract, signficantly under paid in comparison to the 14 million Mario pulls.

Actually, Arian's playing under a one year contract that he was tendered as an exclusive rights free agent.

I honestly don't think it's that unrealistic at all to keep both Mario and Arian long term.

It's almost a given that any long term deal done with Mario will be structured to lower his cap value considerably compared to what it is this year. I get conflicting info. regarding exactly what that is, but it's somewhere north of $15 Million. If they can't get a deal done before free agency, there's always the option of franchising him, and trying to work it out before the deadline.

As to Arian, it might be a little distasteful to some, but he's still restricted for one more year, so even if they can't reach a LT agreement in time to avoid that, they restrict him, see what his market value might be, and best case scenario, have someone offer him something they end up matching, and he's tied up for 3 to 5 years. Worst case, he remains underpaid, and in a contract year.

Rey
09-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Smith/Kubiak have done well keeping perceived foundation pieces in place. Andre, DeMeco, Owen, Schaub so I see no reason why both cannot be retained. Unless there is something behind the scenes we don't know about?

Agreed.

I think that fans tend to over analyze salary cap issues. The guys in the front office are paid to make it work. If a player is good and deserves the contract you find a way to keep them.

Ole Miss Texan
09-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Agreed.

I think that fans tend to over analyze salary cap issues. The guys in the front office are paid to make it work. If a player is good and deserves the contract you find a way to keep them.

I'm on the same page, the FO has been good to their founation players for the most part. You can even add Eric Winston and Kevin Walter to BL's list. Not superstars like AJ, Meco, etc. but in the staff's eyes these are very important players to this team. Honestly, I expect Mario and Foster both to sign L/T deals with us... but if it takes $100M to keep Foster, I'd rather have Ward, Tate, Slaton, Ogbonnaya...

michaelm
09-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Thats what the tag is for. Trading him mid season for a 1 and a 3 is silly. That should be a last resort if he wants to leave or isnt grasping the defense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should trade Mario, I'm just saying there is precedent for such a trade.

For the record, in the preseason, I was one of the guys saying Mario wouldn't transition well to OLB, but he is on the verge of making me eat crow for that opinion (which I will gladly eat).

I'm still not 100% on board just yet, but he did look pretty good, so my preseason opinion might have been off base.
Regardless of what my opinion was, or what it is now, I agree with the opinion that the team should not, nor will not, try to trade him in-season, if at all.

badboy
09-13-2011, 11:41 AM
We'll talk about contracts in February Mr. AgentMan.

While that is a reasonable ball park, if your client wants to sniff a contract anything at all like that, You better wake him the F@$# up.

Because you're talking defensive player of the year money.... or Super Bowl MVP money & he's not that right now.LOL, you've never heard of a FA getting more money than he's worth? Oh, BTW, the more games & sacks Mario gets, the more I want to talk to other teams besides Texans. Surely some 3-4 or 4-3 team could used Mario since it is obvious Texans (you) want him to wake up. :kitten:

ObsiWan
09-13-2011, 11:59 AM

But what is "the right offer, specifically. Is it that "1st and 3rd" you referred to?
I'm not sure that's enough for me. I'd need another starter AND a first day pick (or what used to be "first day"). And there would have to be another pass rusher in the draft that I intended to spend that pick on.

Since I brought up K.C. as a possible trading partner I'll start with them. They'd have to give up steve Breaston and a 1st or Dwayne Bowe and a 2nd. If it's Miami, it would be Dansby and Pouncey and maybe a 3rd. I think Miami might bite because it would give them Mario on one side and that Wake kid on the other.

Those are just off the top of my head. And I ain't saying I'd pull the trigger, but at least I wouldn't hang up the phone in their face.

Trading a known quantity for only picks (of unknown quality) just won't do it for me.

Section516
09-13-2011, 12:07 PM
FWIW, Signing Mario to a extension will actually lower our cap for this year..

BigBull17
09-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should trade Mario, I'm just saying there is precedent for such a trade.

For the record, in the preseason, I was one of the guys saying Mario wouldn't transition well to OLB, but he is on the verge of making me eat crow for that opinion (which I will gladly eat).

I'm still not 100% on board just yet, but he did look pretty good, so my preseason opinion might have been off base.
Regardless of what my opinion was, or what it is now, I agree with the opinion that the team should not, nor will not, try to trade him in-season, if at all.

I was iffy until I saw him in the 9ers game. He had the OLB footwork amd technique down pretty well. Love our new defense and love that Wade trys to work mismatches instead of just lineing them up in base and doing nothing.

gafftop
09-25-2011, 06:50 PM

????????