PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Dunta wasn't so bad after all

gtexan02
09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6939011/nfl-atlanta-falcons-best-cornerback-tandem-nfl

Category No. 6 -- Overall YPA

This all-important category gauges how well the cornerbacks did on all passes targeted their way and is thus worth more in this competition. First place will get nine points, second place eight points, etc.

The rankings:

Tied for 1st -- Philadelphia and Atlanta (5.8 YPA)
3rd -- NY Jets (6.0 YPA)
4th -- Green Bay (6.5 YPA)
5th -- Kansas City (6.6 YPA)
6th -- San Diego (6.7 YPA)
7th -- Miami (7.5 YPA)

Atlanta's showing here may actually be more impressive because its 5.8 YPA total was based on 172 targets versus Philadelphia's total of 66 targets.

Now let's look at the overall points:

1st -- Atlanta (40 points)
2nd -- NY Jets (38 points)
3rd -- Philadelphia (31 points)
4th -- San Diego (30 points)
5th -- Green Bay (19 points)
6th -- Kansas City (16 points)
7th -- Miami (12 points)

The Falcons' consistently high ranking in nearly every category leads them to a close win over the more highly regarded Jets cornerbacks. It's just another reason Atlanta's Super Bowl aspirations could come true this year.

On the flip side, the Dolphins' dead-last ranking in this competition shows that Revis was correct when he said "They're a good tandem but they have a lot of work to do."

We also went from 15th (2009) to 32 (2010) when we lost him.

jaayteetx
09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
I got a feeling we upgraded, took a year, but still an upgrade none the less.

Trap_Star
09-07-2011, 03:19 PM
d-rob is the darrelle revis of the NFC

...minus the darrelle revis part.

gtexan02
09-07-2011, 03:21 PM
d-rob is the darrelle revis of the NFC

...minus the darrelle revis part.

Got anything to back that up or just random off the topic spouting?

The metrics don't lie. Last year Atlantas CBs were shutdown material. Best in the NFL

Trap_Star
09-07-2011, 03:23 PM

The metrics don't lie. Last year Atlantas CBs were shutdown material. Best in the NFL

grimes had a break out year.

Double Barrel
09-07-2011, 03:24 PM
I think D.Rob would have been a nice #2 behind Jonathan Joseph....but, we might not have been able to afford Joseph with D.Rob's salary.

I'm fine with where we are at, simply because D.Rob obviously did not want to be here.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Wouldn't the type of coverage scheme have an effect on those numbers? Seemed like Atlanta played their share of cover 3, which would minimize large CB passing yardage plays.

ChampionTexan
09-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Never thought he was that bad. Didn't (and still don't) think he's worth what Atlanta's paying him. Don't think he would have been the difference between 6-10 and a playoff spot in 2010. Keeping him around so we could have been a better non-playoff team doesn't appeal to me much.

The Cush
09-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Anytime I ever watched a Falcons game last year the guy that always stood out to me was Brent Grimes. He is a covering machine

silvrhand
09-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Horrible stats..

They played the NFC west this year.. enough said. But this quote was kind of funny..

your point is valid
Dunta > Owens

all I was saying was that the hype that surrounded Duntaís arrival and his production didnít match. Dunta was ordinary in 2010. he wasnít very bad though. he had some games where he made some plays, yet in other games he slipped too much and gave up big plays.

Hervoyel
09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I think D.Rob would have been a nice #2 behind Jonathan Joseph....but, we might not have been able to afford Joseph with D.Rob's salary.

I'm fine with where we are at, simply because D.Rob obviously did not want to be here.

This. An excellent 2 who thinks he's a 1, wants to be paid like a 1, AND doesn't want to play for the perpetual loser that drafted him anymore isn't an asset.

Sometimes it's just time to part ways.

drunkcookie
09-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Horrible stats..

But this quote was kind of funny..

Hilarious! Great find and +reputardation...

disaacks3
09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I got a feeling we upgraded, took a year, but still an upgrade none the less.

...and our "upgrade" STILL cost less than Dunta. (not to mention how much better a cover corner Joseph is)

BattleRedToro
09-07-2011, 06:59 PM
From a skill set perspective Dunta would be a great Nickle Cornerback, but he would never accept the role nor would he accept the lower pay that comes with it.

gg no re
09-07-2011, 07:43 PM
wait so we gonna pretend the packers-falcons game never happened?

TheCD
09-08-2011, 02:09 PM

While the numbers are intriguing, there's still a lot of variables unaccounted for (at least in this cursory glance):

1.Did the teams with the better numbers in YPA play opponents who favored running the ball more?

2. Are the lower numbers do to playing a higher proportion of teams favoring the West Coast Offense, which favors short timing patterns over bigger routes?

3. While the number is low, does this article state which CB's are on the lower and higher end of the numbers for their respective teams? In otherwords, could Dunta, in fact, be raising the average higher due to his play?

I didn't watch any Falcons games last year, so I honestly don't know anything about them, except for the playoffs. I do remember last year, however, that the Falcons message boards were saying they terribly overpaid Dunta based on his performance.

badboy
09-08-2011, 02:16 PM
I liked DR just not at #1 CB & especially not at what he wanted. I also do not see our record being much if any different with him.

80tothezone
09-08-2011, 02:23 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6939011/nfl-atlanta-falcons-best-cornerback-tandem-nfl

We also went from 15th (2009) to 32 (2010) when we lost him.

Maybe Atlanta's D was pretty good but D's individual stats were pretty bad I looked it up once I think it was somewhere around 1int and 5 or so passes defended..... He was not worth the money he was asking for... I am much happier spending that money on a better Cb than him and getting a talented safety as well... not to say that having any veteran would not have been good but he just wanted too much money I like where we are now last yr is last yr... all I really care about is what happens on sun this yr, and I don't think we will miss him at all.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

TEXANRED
09-08-2011, 02:55 PM

Atlanta was 22nd in pass defense last year.

badboy
09-08-2011, 02:57 PM
Atlanta was 22nd in pass defense last year.Is that good for shut down corners that were best in NFL or was it all the on the safeties. :headhurts:

TEXANRED
09-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Is that good for shut down corners that were best in NFL or was it all the on the safeties. :headhurts:

Lets put it on the safeties. DRob did have a barn burning 1 pick and 7 passes defensed last year.

25 million well spent.

Texans34Life
09-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Dunta who? **** him!

BigBull17
09-09-2011, 11:45 AM
wait so we gonna pretend the packers-falcons game never happened?

HEY, stats tell more of a story than game film!

Goatcheese
09-09-2011, 12:11 PM
Yard per attempt means very little IMO.

Show me yards allowed per play in coverage if you want to know who is a shut down corner.

I use the same example every time:

Corner A - 500 plays in coverage thrown at 100 times allowed 50 receptions for 500 yards
5.0 YPA 1.00 YPPIC

Corner B - 500 plays in coverage thrown at 10 times allowed 10 receptions for 100 yards.
10.0 YPA 0.2 YPPIC

Who is the better cover man?

I'll take B and it's not close. A is an average #1 corner in the NFL. B is Hall of Fame caliber.

Spled
09-12-2011, 01:56 AM
Jay Cutler snacked on the Falcons defense for 312 yards opening week.

Rey
09-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Jay Cutler snacked on the Falcons defense for 312 yards opening week.

About a hundred of those yards came on screen passes to Hester and forte.

HJam72
09-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Yard per attempt means very little IMO.

Show me yards allowed per play in coverage if you want to know who is a shut down corner.

I use the same example every time:

Corner A - 500 plays in coverage thrown at 100 times allowed 50 receptions for 500 yards
5.0 YPA 1.00 YPPIC

Corner B - 500 plays in coverage thrown at 10 times allowed 10 receptions for 100 yards.
10.0 YPA 0.2 YPPIC

Who is the better cover man?

I'll take B and it's not close. A is an average #1 corner in the NFL. B is Hall of Fame caliber.

I do agree, but what about B's #2 corner teammate who had 500 plays, was thrown at 250 times, and gave up 200 receptions for 1999.999999 yds.? :mcnugget:

PS-slight exaggeration above, LOL.

TEXANRED
09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Dunta looked real good running behind Forte scoring a TD. He was only only 3 or 4 yards behind him. Missed him by that much.

EllisUnit
09-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Yeah Dunta had a lot of highlights in their last game, i saw his name A LOT. I'm glad we let him go, the boy has no heart.

DocBar
09-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Eff DROB. He's a second rate CB. Let Atlanta deal with him. Schaub and AJ will school his azz

BigBull17
09-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Eff DROB. He's a second rate CB. Let Atlanta deal with him. Schaub and AJ will school his azz

Bet ATL loves that he makes as much or close to Nhambi money. :kitten:

Carr Bombed
09-14-2011, 06:37 PM

Yep and if stats didn't lie, Houston would've won a hell of a lot more games over the last few years. Stats lie all the time.

Dunta Robinson was highly criticized by falcon fans the majority of last season, They even started to think he was a FA bust. Also anybody who saw his performance against the Packers knows how misleading this thread is. Aaron Rodgers exclusively picked on him the same way people used to pick on Petey.

I'm not saying he's a terrible player, but he certainly isn't close to being anywhere near the top in the league.

Playoffs
09-15-2011, 10:00 AM
http://capitalbrand.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/pay-me-shoes.jpg

Texan_Bill
09-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Wouldn't the type of coverage scheme have an effect on those numbers? Seemed like Atlanta played their share of cover 3, which would minimize large CB passing yardage plays.

But the metrics don't lie! :shades:

I kid, G.

I like where we are at right now. D-Ron done robbed both the Texans and the Falcons for what he is being paid. For a little more money than he commanded we upgraded both at corner and at safety.

In addition, Doc Sean is correct. Scheme has a lot to do with numbers. The Falcons obviously had a better scheme and certainly better coaching.

Mr teX
09-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Yep and if stats didn't lie, Houston would've won a hell of a lot more games over the last few years. Stats lie all the time.

Dunta Robinson was highly criticized by falcon fans the majority of last season, They even started to think he was a FA bust. Also anybody who saw his performance against the Packers knows how misleading this thread is. Aaron Rodgers exclusively picked on him the same way people used to pick on Petey.

I'm not saying he's a terrible player, but he certainly isn't close to being anywhere near the top in the league.

d- rob isnt worth the money he got, but there's no need to exagerate.

rodgers didn't pick on any 1 of ATL's dbs exclusively. dude didnt discriminate whatsoever. they all got it.

Carr Bombed
09-15-2011, 08:10 PM
edit

Carr Bombed
09-15-2011, 08:11 PM
d- rob isnt worth the money he got, but there's no need to exagerate.

rodgers didn't pick on any 1 of ATL's dbs exclusively. dude didnt discriminate whatsoever. they all got it.

I stand by what I said, because I watched the game. The guy was targeted plenty and was the worst corner on the field.

Also here's another article which COMPLETELY blows this "metric stat" business right out of the window. It's based on actual on the field results and not manipulated #s.

Teams came right out of the gate and attacked Robinson as he was among the leaders in cornerback targets from Weeks 1-4. Robinson did enjoy a measure of success despite being targeted, but seemed to falter later in the season. He dropped quite a few interceptions, and I personally do not see the ball skills he was so touted to have.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/579160-is-dunta-robinson-the-next-nate-clements-part-ii (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/57916message 0-is-dunta-robinson-the-next-nate-clements-part-ii)

Yep definitely sounds like a top cornerback in this league. :rolleyes:

Damn I wish I could remember my Falcons board password. I remember the fans there lambasting him all season long and ESPECIALLY after that divisional playoff game. Hell maybe I'll start a new account and dig some of it up.

Anyways the guy is nowhere near being a quality #1 starter in this league (he's a #2 corner). He was forced into that spot here when Glenn left and his play fell off greatly.. He was always overrated on this team, mostly because the crap that he was surrounded by pushed him to the top. Deciding to not pay that man big bucks was one of the best decisions this team ever made.

Texan_Bill
09-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I stand by what I said, because I watched the game. The guy was targeted plenty and was the worst corner on the field.

Also here's another article which COMPLETELY blows this "metric stat" business right out of the window. It's based on actual on the field results and not manipulated #s.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/579160-is-dunta-robinson-the-next-nate-clements-part-ii (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/57916message 0-is-dunta-robinson-the-next-nate-clements-part-ii)

Yep definitely sounds like a top cornerback in this league. :rolleyes:

Damn I wish I could remember my Falcons board password. I remember the fans there lambasting him all season long and ESPECIALLY after that divisional playoff game. Hell maybe I'll start a new account and dig some of it up.

Anyways the guy is nowhere near being a quality #1 starter in this league. He was forced into the spot here when Glenn retired and his play fell off greatly. He was ALWAYS overrated on this team, mostly because the crap that he was surrounded by pushed him to the top. Deciding to not pay that man big bucks was one of the best decisions this team ever made.

:lol:

Playoffs
10-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Posted Oct. 15, 2011 @ 5:04 p.m. ET

By Dan Parr

Falcons head coach Mike Smith described Dunta Robinson's play as "solid" when asked Thursday about the performance of Atlanta's starting right cornerback. The description wasn't exactly flattering. The Falcons seemed to believe they were getting more than a solid player when Robinson signed a six-year deal that included $25.5 million in guaranteed money before the 2010 season. They certainly paid him like a corner who was better than solid. Robinson has provided a veteran presence in a young secondary since arriving in Atlanta, but the team's 28th-ranked pass defense has been a disappointment. In the 20 games, including playoffs, in which Robinson has played for the team, he has only one interception and has yet to force a fumble. He's been credited with nine pass breakups — the same number he had in 16 games with the Texans the season before he signed with the Falcons. Our sources sense that the Falcons aren't completely pleased with their investment in him.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/10/15/falcons-cb-robinson-not-making-anticipated-impact

Wolf
10-17-2011, 07:26 PM
:lol:

we could have told the Falcons that