PDA

View Full Version : Texans need to look in the mirror...

DocBar
09-06-2011, 09:19 PM
The latest by AJ (http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-need-to-look-at-themselves-more-than-around-the-division)
this problem.

When you're talking Texans, there's a not-so-fine line between 'can' and 'should.'

Should the Texans win ten games this year, given the upgrade in coaching staff on the defense and the turmoil that's going on around them in the AFC South? Of course they should, if everyone stays healthy.

But can they?

And there's the key. The answer to the 'can they' question lies not in what's happening to other teams around them, but what's happening inside the Texans locker room and between the ears of the Texans offensive coaching staff and players.

Hear me out.

Even the koolest of koolaid drinkers would agree that the Texans are often times their own worst enemy.

We've heard Gary Kubiak talk many times about how the offense got 'out of whack' because of an early mistake and how they had to struggle to recover.

Kubiak is a perfectionist, no doubt. He's thoughtful, analytical and a worry wart who's wound up pretty tight.

But there's also an old saying that perfect is the enemy of good enough and sometimes I wonder sometimes if things are wound up just a little too tight down there.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for posting.

Sometimes when you are too perfectionist , you can be a good planner, but have difficulties with split-second decisions when you overthink........a problem that may be at the heart of what Kubiak has shown during games.

Pantherstang84
09-06-2011, 09:32 PM
The latest by AJ (http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/texans-need-to-look-at-themselves-more-than-around-the-division)
this problem.

No offense to Burge, but that was a bunch of bovine excrement. If organizations or individuals do not strive to be perfect in everything they do then there is no room for improvement. No coach, boss, individual should just settle for good enough. Good enough ain't good enough.

There is always room for improvement in everything. Always. Winners do not settle for good enough.

The difference this year will be the offense no longer having to try and cover for the defense. That is not being good enough that is just getting better as a team and striving to keep getting better.

Ok two rants in two posts. I am stepping away from the keyboard now.

DocBar
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
No offense to Burge, but that was a bunch of bovine excrement. If organizations or individuals do not strive to be perfect in everything they do then there is no room for improvement. No coach, boss, individual should just settle for good enough. Good enough ain't good enough.

There is always room for improvement in everything. Always. Winners do not settle for good enough.I think the point of the article is that you can't let a bump in the road upset the whole apple cart. Sometimes the fear of making a mistake causes the mistakes you were fearing.
Maybe the wrath of Khubiak is worse than we thought. idonno:

EllisUnit
09-06-2011, 10:18 PM

There is always room for improvement in everything. Always. Winners do not settle for good enough.

The difference this year will be the offense no longer having to try and cover for the defense. That is not being good enough that is just getting better as a team and striving to keep getting better.

Ok two rants in two posts. I am stepping away from the keyboard now.

Havent you seen Friday Night Lights.

"Being perfect is not about that scoreboard out there. It's not about winning. It's about you and your relationship with yourself, your family and your friends. Being perfect is about being able to look your friends in the eye and know that you didnt let them down because you told them the truth. And that truth is you did everything you could. There wasnt one more thing you could've done. Can you live in that moment as best you can, with clear eyes, and love in your heart, with joy in your heart? If you can do that gentleman you're perfect" :doot:

Texan_in_KS
09-07-2011, 03:42 PM
In the immortal words of Shane Falco:

You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand.

El Tejano
09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
In the immortal words of Shane Falco:

You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand.

That was the description of the Rosencopter game. I can honestly say that we've come a long way since then. We gonna do good.

Thorn
09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Anybody that has been watching the Texans since their inception, knows damn well they have just as much chance of winning six games this year as they do 12.

Double Barrel
09-07-2011, 04:26 PM
One quote keeps coming to mind about Kubiak:

"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their players and motivate."
~ Vince Lombardi

Kubiak has shown that he's a great X's and O's guy, a fantastic coordinator coach that can construct and instruct and offensive unit with great success.

However, after five years and a 37-43 record, I'm still not convinced that he's a head coach that can 'get inside [his] players and motivate'. This is what defines a head coach more than anything else, and it's the one thing that Kubiak seems to struggle with the most.

The stars are aligned for us now more than ever. But the Texans will have to overcome themselves as much as beat their opponents. Let's see it happen now.

DBCooper
09-07-2011, 05:20 PM
All I gotta say is "Prove It"!

drs23
09-07-2011, 06:37 PM

I'm in this camp 100% as well. I've stated prior that I hope this doesn't come off as sounding :homer:ish but I honestly feel this is the Texans' year. #18 or no #18, I don't feel the outcome will/would have been any different. Looks like Kubes has had an epiphany and will actually be a head coach we can trust to be what he needs to be and do what he needs to do.

The only down side for me being the rest of the division appearing to be in shambles. That, to me, is a shame. I really wanted our "rise to the top" year to be vs. a strong division. Not all's lost though. We have a formidable schedule. I like our chances against the perrinnial powerhouses in the league. When we play the Steelers, the Saints and the Ravens and play them well, I see this as showing the rest of the country that we're the real deal as well and can play with any team in the league.

I see it happening. :fans:

DocBar
09-07-2011, 07:16 PM

I'm in this camp 100% as well. I've stated prior that I hope this doesn't come off as sounding :homer:ish but I honestly feel this is the Texans' year. #18 or no #18, I don't feel the outcome will/would have been any different. Looks like Kubes has had an epiphany and will actually be a head coach we can trust to be what he needs to be and do what he needs to do.

The only down side for me being the rest of the division appearing to be in shambles. That, to me, is a shame. I really wanted our "rise to the top" year to be vs. a strong division. Not all's lost though. We have a formidable schedule. I like our chances against the perrinnial powerhouses in the league. When we play the Steelers, the Saints and the Ravens and play them well, I see this as showing the rest of the country that we're the real deal as well and can play with any team in the league.

I see it happening. :fans:All the above article says is "prove it". You're a good team and deserve a shot at the Super Bowl, with all the respect that entails, then prove it. Win the games you should win and a few of the games you shouldn't. That's what playoff teams do.

DBCooper
09-07-2011, 07:19 PM
All the above article says is "prove it". You're a good team and deserve a shot at the Super Bowl, with all the respect that entails, then prove it. Win the games you should win and a few of the games you shouldn't. That's what playoff teams do.

I know, I was condensing.

Like the anti-GP.

DocBar
09-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I know, I was condensing.

Like the anti-GP.lol

drs23
09-07-2011, 07:28 PM
All the above article says is "prove it". You're a good team and deserve a shot at the Super Bowl, with all the respect that entails, then prove it. Win the games you should win and a few of the games you shouldn't. That's what playoff teams do.

I thunk that's the point I was getting across. Fail on my part??

DocBar
09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
I thunk that's the point I was getting across. Fail on my part??No.

badboy
09-07-2011, 10:23 PM

I see it happening. :fans:I think the epiphany was Robert McNair who said something like "Gary, I appreciate the loyalty you have to your staff but here's the deal. You fire the guy and I bring in Phillips. You focus on the offense and he will focus on the defense and you keep your job."

drs23
09-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I think the epiphany was Robert McNair who said something like "Gary, I appreciate the loyalty you have to your staff but here's the deal. You fire the guy and I bring in Phillips. You focus on the offense and he will focus on the defense and you keep your job."

Yeah, or that. :)