PDA

View Full Version : Patriots cut Darius Butler

Rey
09-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I looked, Didn't see a thread. If there is already one please merge.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/09/06/patriots-cut-cb-butler

The Patriots cut former second-round CB Darius Butler on Tuesday. "Its been real New England. I was blessed to have a chance to play and start my NFL career here. But its time to open a new chapter," Butler tweeted.

Butler, drafted in 2009, started eight games and appeared in 29 contests in his two seasons. Last season, he opened the season as a starting corner with Leigh Bodden out, but lost his job to Kyle Arrington.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2011, 05:57 PM
Interesting the Pats picked up Antwaun Molden.

HJam72
09-06-2011, 06:13 PM
I don't know this player, but a young CB that the Pats thought was good enough to spend a 2nd round pick on 2 years ago sounds very tempting to me. Sounds like the kind of young CB that could get really good in a few years. Anybody we'd want to cut for him? We're bound to still have at least one crappy backup in that secondary.

Ole Miss Texan
09-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't know this player, but a young CB that the Pats thought was good enough to spend a 2nd round pick on 2 years ago sounds very tempting to me. Sounds like the kind of young CB that could get really good in a few years. Anybody we'd want to cut for him? We're bound to still have at least one crappy backup in that secondary.

Pats cut CB Darius Butler and S Brandon Meriweather this offseason, two early draft picks. Interesting.

TheRealJoker
09-06-2011, 10:23 PM
I was very high on Butler when he came out. Interesting they would rather have Molden than Butler.

Doppelganger
09-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Pats cut CB Darius Butler and S Brandon Meriweather this offseason, two early draft picks. Interesting.

Butler was nothing special. He was brought in to help their then depleted CB ranks and couldn't make a name for himself. Bodden and McCourtey will be the starters. Arrington will backup Bodden and second round pick Ras-I-Dowling will back up McCourtey. Ras may get to play nickel too.

Merriweather is a Bernard Pollard type of in the box Safety. A hard hitting tackling machine who cannot cover. In the NFL today, a saftey who can cover is a bigger priority. Thus, Merriweather is cut to make room for his backup: Patrick Chung.

Molden will likely be a Dime CB/Special teamer.

HOU-TEX
09-07-2011, 11:14 AM

B-b-but Belichick is such a genius at drafting. lol

BTW, I think Carolina picked Butler up already