PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Reporting that Jags are releasing Garrard, will start McKown

Stemp
09-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Seen multiple reports on by ESPN analysts on twitter

ChampionTexan
09-06-2011, 03:06 PM
My first thought was that he was joking, but I don't think he is.

Jay_Glazer Jay Glazer
I'm reporting the Jaguars today have informed starting QB David Garrard they are releasing him! Luke McKown will start opener! Shocker!!!

gtexan02
09-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Wow, its like the AFC S is all trying to give away wins this season...

Why would you release Garrard?

Stemp
09-06-2011, 03:09 PM
@caplannfl Adam Caplan
Garrard was set to mak3 $8.075 million in base salary. Non-guaranteed. Would have been if he was on the roster on Saturday.

LikeMike
09-06-2011, 03:10 PM
This doesn`t really make sense... why start a rookie when you have a more than serviceable QB that could teach him one or two things... heck even if you want to start that rookie, at least you`d have some assurance and guidance on the bench...

Trap_Star
09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
They need to start Alex Smith 2.0 instead.

Section516
09-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Hmm..Didn't know Jaguars had enough fan's to slow their forum..wanted to see their reaction

ChampionTexan
09-06-2011, 03:15 PM
This doesn`t really make sense... why start a rookie when you have a more than serviceable QB that could teach him one or two things... heck even if you want to start that rookie, at least you`d have some assurance and guidance on the bench...

Gabbert is (was) 3rd string - they're starting Luke McCown who's been in the league since '04. Not a rookie, although he's only started 7 games, and the most recent was '07.

Edit - no clue as to why this is in the Texans Talk forum.

Rey
09-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Gabbert will likely have the job before the season ends.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Hmm..Didn't know Jaguars had enough fan's to slow their forum..wanted to see their reaction

Their board shut the hell down. I guess their server can only handle about 100 fans. :)

TEXANRED
09-06-2011, 03:20 PM

That all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are an owner that is bent on showing the league how he is no longer able to operate financially in his current market so making a move to LA would benefit both the NFL and the Jags, then this makes perfect sense.

The Jags owner has basically watched Major League and following their business plan.

I am surprised I havent got the call yet to play running back for them.

infantrycak
09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Wow, so it appears only one starting QB from last season will open this season in the AFC South - Matt Schaub.

cland
09-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Edit - no clue as to why this is in the Texans Talk forum.

We ought to have an AFC South sub-forum.

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
McKown has always reminded me a Rex Grossman with even poorer chances of hitting a decent percentage of his long throws. He's injury prone because he seems to wear side blinders in the pocket. He's thrown a whopping 23 passes in the last 3 years. He will be a delight for a Wade D. We'll probably be shell shocking Gabbert soon enough. This season is looking more and more to be chop-licking good.:chef:

Rey
09-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Wow, so it appears only one starting QB from last season will open this season in the AFC South - Matt Schaub.

Interesting point.

Who'd of thunk Matt would be the division's clear cut, top dog, head and shoulders above everyone else at the QB position heading into this season.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2011, 03:52 PM

It's just a ploy by the rest of the division... They want to make sure Kubiak gets his extension. :)

HOU-TEX
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
They did this same crap with Leftwich. Cutting a player 5 days before the season is dickin the player, imo. He'll get picked up, but now there's no way he'll be a starter for a month at least. Del Rio's an assbag! Can't wait til he's fired and out of the AFC South.

z_man57
09-06-2011, 04:07 PM
And so begins the implosion of the Jaguars' 2011 season...

Cjeremy635
09-06-2011, 04:08 PM
That all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are an owner that is bent on showing the league how he is no longer able to operate financially in his current market so making a move to LA would benefit both the NFL and the Jags, then this makes perfect sense.

The Jags owner has basically watched Major League and following their business plan.

I am surprised I havent got the call yet to play running back for them.

Shoot, sign me up to play linebacker! I'm good to go, just don't test my testosterone levels. I guarantee that I would test positive due to over-training.

Norg
09-06-2011, 04:08 PM
DOnt know much about mcrown but i dont think hes has good has garrard IMO

but this is looking more and more like Sunshine job more and more quicker then he thinks

gtexan02
09-06-2011, 04:10 PM
I feel bad for Garrard. The guy has just flat out played decent football and kept the team relevent. he had 23 TDs last season. To get cut 2 days before the first game is a major slap in the face

b0ng
09-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Starting Luke McClown seems like a fabulous idea to me.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Wow, their board is still down. What would it take to crash this board? Did the release of David Carr crash the board, I can't remember?

gtexan02
09-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Anyone think this was done simply to keep Garrard from being signed by the Colts or Titans as an interim starter?

Carr Bombed
09-06-2011, 04:23 PM
I feel bad for Garrard. The guy has just flat out played decent football and kept the team relevent. he had 23 TDs last season. To get cut 2 days before the first game is a major slap in the face

Imagine how upcoming free agents on the team and around the league feel about it. You already knew what McCown was, if you were going to release Garrard you release Garrard during the offseason. They basically just used him as a camp arm and now he's a salary dump. People who say Bob McNair is cheap, Bob McNair would never do something like this.

Malloy
09-06-2011, 04:24 PM

He'll get picked up.. .Who knows, The Colts might actually want him?

fiasco west
09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Looks like it's a battle between the Titans and Texans...I think the Jags are in rebuild mode now.

Garrard is okay, he'll win you some games on seemingly luck alone and lose you some games...and he knows when to let his running game dominate and not try to force it at times.

El Tejano
09-06-2011, 04:26 PM

I hope he signs with us just so that we can beat The Jags.

Rey
09-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I would not mind having Garrard as a back-up to Schaub.

Texans_bull
09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Wow...

looks like it's a battle between the titans and texans...i think the jags are in rebuild mode now.

Garrard is okay, he'll win you some games on seemingly luck alone and lose you some games...and he knows when to let his running game dominate and not try to force it at times.

Playoffs
09-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Stars align ...

The1ApplePie
09-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I would not mind having Garrard as a back-up to Schaub.

This

Though Pistol Pete is probably going to bring him in to Seattle as a stop-gap for a future Barclay pick.

IDEXAN
09-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Sounds pretty much like the same thing that Del Rio did to Byron Leftwich when the HC replaced him with Garrad 4 or 5 years ago.

Carr Bombed
Meh, I'd rather have Matt Lienart. He already knows the system and is more accurate.

DBCooper
They did this same crap with Leftwich. Cutting a player 5 days before the season is dickin the player, imo. He'll get picked up, but now there's no way he'll be a starter for a month at least. Del Rio's an assbag! Can't wait til he's fired and out of the AFC South.

Are you kidding, man?

I love it that the jags have a dumbass coach, lol.

FirstTexansFan
09-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Well as much as I detest any other team in our division, I can't hate the individuals, and no player should ever have this happen to them. I bet in the next CBA this is addressed, but it will be ten years too late for this young man.

The1ApplePie
09-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Are you kidding, man?

Del Rio is an ass, but he seems like a good coach.

He has made chicken salad out of the chicken shit his owner/GM give him every year.

DBCooper
09-06-2011, 04:55 PM

He has made chicken salad out of the chicken shit his owner/GM give him every year.

Some things he does well, but he has made some boneheaded decisions since being there, starting with the "chopping" incident!

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2011, 04:55 PM
I don't even know what to say to this.

Every time I try to think about it, my mind shuts down faster than the Jaguars Forum and my eyes light up with LEDs that say "DOES NOT COMPUTE."

Seriously.

What?

Dutchrudder
09-06-2011, 04:57 PM
This is excellent news for the Texans! Now it will be even more difficult for the Titans and Colts to tank the entire season to get Luck. They are all bound to beat eachother at least once, hopefully enough for the Bengals, 49ers, Bills or Raiders to jump up (down?) to the #1 spot. I will be extremely happy if Luck does not wind up in the AFC South, but my money is still on the Titans getting him :)

Grams
09-06-2011, 04:57 PM
If we don't take our division this year - everyone needs to be fired.

gtexan02
09-06-2011, 05:02 PM
The Texans have historically been quite poor against backup QBs and rookie starters. Maybe the Jags are using that as their strategy...

The Pencil Neck
09-06-2011, 05:04 PM
The Texans have historically been quite poor against backup QBs and rookie starters. Maybe the Jags are using that as their strategy...

Yeah, but, while they may dominate us, they'll lose most of their games to other people.

We'll dominate everyone on our schedule who isn't in the AFC South and go 10-6 for the season and win the conference with a losing conference record.

I'll take that.

thunderkyss
09-06-2011, 05:12 PM

Are you crazy?

Don't jinx it. I don't think we should even mention it for the next 5 days.

That is if you're superstitious.

DBCooper
09-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Are you crazy?

Don't jinx it. I don't think we should even mention it for the next 5 days.

That is if you're superstitious.

Knock on wood!

thunderkyss
09-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Are you kidding, man?

Was that the 2007 season they cut Leftwich???

The same season they went 11-5 (http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=div&season=2007-REG&split=Overall)

That same dumbass coach?

thunderkyss
09-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Makes you wonder why no one has come to sweep him away from there.

SheTexan
09-06-2011, 05:27 PM

^^^^^^^THIS!! I'm gettin kinda sceeeeared!!:headhurts::smiliepalm: I'm so freaking hyped up, got my hopes up, dream of Lombardi's every night, just can't make myself live in the negative, BELIEVING AGAIN that this is our year, and the kitties go and dump their starting QB!! DAMN, we can't seem to get a break!!:pissed::hairpull::winky:

dc_txtech
09-06-2011, 05:40 PM

The same season they went 11-5 (http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=div&season=2007-REG&split=Overall)

That same dumbass coach?

I don't think Leftwich was half the QB that Garrard is. Plus he had that wind up that I believe Vinny referred to as "looney tunes like". Going from Leftwich to Garrard was an upgrade, this seems more like a money grab.

Vinny
09-06-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't think Leftwich was half the QB that Garrard is. Plus he had that wind up that I believe Vinny referred to as "looney tunes like". Going from Leftwich to Garrard was an upgrade, this seems more like a money grab.oh yeah, that great big cartoon windup just telegraphs many of his passes.

gwallaia
09-06-2011, 05:42 PM

We shut down Rusty Smith!

DBCooper
09-06-2011, 05:53 PM

That same dumbass coach?

Funny that you mention that, keeping cartoon boy around so long was one of my points for him being a dumbass!

mussop
09-06-2011, 06:13 PM

And Collins albeit for the colts not the tacks

mussop
09-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Mesa thinks everyone else in our division realizes they are no match for the texans and are throwing in the towel! :evil:

Trap_Star
09-06-2011, 08:34 PM
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/9810446.jpg

GP
09-07-2011, 01:28 AM
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/9810446.jpg

LOL. Exactly. Nailed it, man.

That guy is something else. I have to just scratch my head at his predictions. Him picking the Titans as AFC South champs is the definitive proof that he has an agenda against the Texans.

If ever there was a year gift-wrapped for the Texans, this is it. (1) Manning might seriously be done for the year barring a miracle. (2) The Jags cut one of the two guys (Garrard) who dealt us severe "crunch time" damage every time we played them. And (3) The Titans have a first-year HC, no-names on his staff, and QB problems with a guy (Hasselbeck) whom the Seahawks deemed to be too awful to beat out Whitehurst-Jackson-???.

On the other hand, every single weapon on the Texans offense (minus Leach) is returning...no problems with chemistry on our offense, which is a masterpiece on most Sundays. And now we MIGHT have a very legitimate defense via huge upgrades at d-coord and secondary players...not to mention JJ Watt, Brooks Reed, etc.

But Lombardi, bless his little heart, he won't come off his agenda. Nope.

Errant Hothy
09-07-2011, 08:38 AM
So are the tarps shedding tears over this?

The timing of the release is a crap move on the Jags part. Makes one wonder if there isn't something going on behind the scenes that influenced the decision for a former player to do a vet like this?

ChampionTexan
09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
So are the tarps shedding tears over this?

The timing of the release is a crap move on the Jags part. Makes one wonder if there isn't something going on behind the scenes that influenced the decision for a former player to do a vet like this?

I think it's just the way the Jags work:

Byron Leftwich cut Sept. 1
First Game Sept. 6

David Garrard cut Sept. 6
First Game Sept. 11

El Tejano
09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I think it was kind of dumb to release Garrard. However, now that I think of it, I don't blame them for when they did even though it was kind of crappy to Garrard. My reason is because you know they were scared that the Colts or Titans would pick him up (mainly the Colts). Hold on to him as long as you can so that your division doesn't pick him up. In a way, we Texan fans should be happy for that. Now when it is 3rd and 6 and the game is on the line we don't have to worry about him turning RB on us and picking up the 1st to keep the ball and win the game.

HJam72
09-07-2011, 09:26 AM
I get the feeling Lombardi is the kind of band-wagoner that never believes in a team until they have already proven him wrong. He'll probably be all over the Texans jock-straps after they finally win a playoff game for the first time.

I don't see the point of "listening" to analysts or "predictors" who refuse to ever pick a team that hasn't already proven them wrong. I get tired of hearing that whoever won the SB last year, or the most out of the last 5, will when it again this year. It's monotonous, boring, and kind of juvenile. Too many of them basically predict almost undefeated seasons out of the previous years SB winner every year. They don't actually predict or analyze; they REGURGITATE.

TimeKiller
09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Dang. Garrard will get picked up though. Seattle, Oakland, Cleveland, Washington sound like fits to me.

b0ng
09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Dang. Garrard will get picked up though. Seattle, Oakland, Cleveland, Washington sound like fits to me.

Why Cleveland?

If I remember right Garrard had started games for JVille and wasn't that bad before they released Leftwich. They also had a really good team on both sides of the ball as well, so the QB was asked to just not turn the ball over rather than be spectacular. McCown is going to make them want Gabbert and Gabbert is going to be real bad for a little while.

TimeKiller
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Why Cleveland?

If I remember right Garrard had started games for JVille and wasn't that bad before they released Leftwich. They also had a really good team on both sides of the ball as well, so the QB was asked to just not turn the ball over rather than be spectacular. McCown is going to make them want Gabbert and Gabbert is going to be real bad for a little while.

Who is the QB there? I don't even know. That's why!

HOU-TEX
09-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Who is the QB there? I don't even know. That's why!

Colt McCoy

ChampionTexan
09-07-2011, 11:38 AM
If I remember right Garrard had started games for JVille and wasn't that bad before they released Leftwich. They also had a really good team on both sides of the ball as well, so the QB was asked to just not turn the ball over rather than be spectacular.

They had Mike Smith coordinating their defense. They've been a different team since he left.

Hookem Horns
09-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Colt McCoy

Colt has surprised a lot of people up there and his teammates love him. He is already a solid NFL QB and he will only get better.

He is becoming everything the VY cultists want to believe VY is. It's funny how none of them worship Colt the way they do VY. Colt played longer and won more games than any QB in college football history. I am convinced he would have won that BCS championship game had he not got injured.

The other plus is he is a class act and leads by example not by his mouth. Also Colt has never referred to himself as Colt.

OrdinaryAvgGuy
09-07-2011, 12:19 PM
So I am a lifelong Aggie...

With that preface, I think it means quite a bit when I say that I think Colt McCoy is a fine young man, and a very intelligent person and quarterback. I expect him to be very successful.

b0ng
09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Colt has surprised a lot of people up there and his teammates love him. He is already a solid NFL QB and he will only get better.

He is becoming everything the VY cultists want to believe VY is. It's funny how none of them worship Colt the way they do VY. Colt played longer and won more games than any QB in college football history. I am convinced he would have won that BCS championship game had he not got injured.

The other plus is he is a class act and leads by example not by his mouth. Also Colt has never referred to himself as Colt.

Only problem with McCoy as a QB is it looks like he's got an arm that can be described as Pennington-esque. But yeah, the kid is pretty tough and looked decent enough throwing to. . . uh. . . Mohommed Massoquoi? Yeah.

I'd say the Browns are a decent wild-card pick this year but they have to play the ravens and the steelers a combined 4 times, which sucks for them.

Blake
09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
What an asshat move. They had no intention of keeping him at that price point, especially after drafting Gabbert. And I agree that cutting him this close to the start of the season is a dick move that gives him little wiggle room except as a backup. Garrard should be pissed. The Jags players should be pissed. The Jags fans should be in meltdown mode pissed.

thunderkyss
09-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Detroit should pick him up. If they are poised to win like many think they are, a little Stafford insurance wouldn't be a bad thing.

toronto
09-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Detroit should pick him up. If they are poised to win like many think they are, a little Stafford insurance wouldn't be a bad thing.

I thought the same - also thought they should have gone after Merriweather for more depth in their secondary, which is their biggest weakness.

They are very happy with Shaun Hill as their back-up. I'm not sure that's wise.

It's been funny this week reading suddenly that the Titans, who I personally think are 7-9 BEST-CASE, are being blogged as a possible AFC South Champ. I don't see it, even as these dominoes continue to fall.

If the Texans can't win the division in this scenario, Kubiak and Smith need to be gone the second they are eliminated from the playoff race.

Hervoyel
09-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Wow, its like the AFC S is all trying to give away wins this season...

Why would you release Garrard?

@caplannfl Adam Caplan
Garrard was set to mak3 $8.075 million in base salary. Non-guaranteed. Would have been if he was on the roster on Saturday.

Why would you release Garrard? To improve your chances of being able to draft Andrew Luck while freeing up money to build around him maybe?

toronto
09-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Why would you release Garrard? To improve your chances of being able to draft Andrew Luck while freeing up money to build around him maybe?

If the Jags get the #1 pick, I wouldn't be shocked if Luck pulled an Elway. I really feel part of the reason he chose to go back to Stanford was a lack of desire to play in a bad market, which Carolina is. Jacksonville would be even worse.

HOU-TEX
09-07-2011, 02:31 PM
I thought the same - also thought they should have gone after Merriweather for more depth in their secondary, which is their biggest weakness.

They are very happy with Shaun Hill as their back-up. I'm not sure that's wise.

It's been funny this week reading suddenly that the Titans, who I personally think are 7-9 BEST-CASE, are being blogged as a possible AFC South Champ. I don't see it, even as these dominoes continue to fall.

If the Texans can't win the division in this scenario, Kubiak and Smith need to be gone the second they are eliminated from the playoff race.

Agreed. Then again, I thought the playoffs were ripe for pickin in 09. We screwed the pooch that season, so who knows what'll happen

Rey
09-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I knew something was fishy about that report that Garaard had gotten injured after getting hit repeatedly early in training camp.

Dutchrudder
09-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Garrard only has his agent to blame for this. Most marquee players have roster bonus dates set into their contracts early in the preseason. That way, you know if the team is committed to keeping you if they invest 1-4 million in roster bonus. Either that or negotiate and extension, but in no way are the Jags doing anything wrong here. They had him under contract and have no obligation to release him at any point.

The Pencil Neck
09-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I knew something was fishy about that report that Garaard had gotten injured after getting hit repeatedly early in training camp.

I had forgotten about that.

cuppacoffee
09-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I read an article this morning that said Garrard had thrown three ints in practice and Del Rio just decided that Garrard just couldn't "get it".

(IOW, Del Rio was pizzed off)

I looked around but couldn't find the artilce to link to. Sorry.

If it was only about the dollars it wouldn't have taken this long.

Found it - http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-09-07/jacksonville-jaguars-team-report-practice-mistakes-the-final-straw-for-david-gar

:coffee:

GP
09-07-2011, 08:23 PM

I normally don't root for Longhorns. Don't even root for ex-Longhorns unless they're on the Texans.

But Colt, for me, is a different story. I am glad the guy is doing well in Cleveland. He flipped a switch, IMO, and he's going to be good. My friend in a FFL that we play in together picked Colt in like round 10...I had him lined up to draft him with my next pick, and I was proud that my buddy drafted him if I couldn't have the guy on my team.

I think he's going to be a good one. I really do.

drs23
09-07-2011, 08:45 PM
I normally don't root for Longhorns. Don't even root for ex-Longhorns unless they're on the Texans.

But Colt, for me, is a different story. I am glad the guy is doing well in Cleveland. He flipped a switch, IMO, and he's going to be good. My friend in a FFL that we play in together picked Colt in like round 10...I had him lined up to draft him with my next pick, and I was proud that my buddy drafted him if I couldn't have the guy on my team.

I think he's going to be a good one. I really do.

I agree with that statement and he sure seems to be a class act. I'm looking forward to see how he progresses. I really do think he'll be a good one, especially with the WCO being installed. I think he's a perfect fit for it.

I'm looking forward to see what the Browns do as well as the Lions.