PDA

View Full Version : Is Colts game now a must win for Texans?

silvrhand
09-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Hmm, if the Texans flop up a stinker at home on the opening, is this the boldest prediction out there? Honestly with Peyton being out I think this puts more pressure on the Texans that they have to win now.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/09/06/bold.predictions/index.html#ixzz1XByeugh6

1. Whether the roof's open or not at Reliant Stadium, the sky will officially fall in Houston next Monday if the Texans can't beat a Peyton Manning-less Colts team at home in Week 1. If No. 18 does indeed miss the first regular season game of his 14-year NFL career, there would never be a bigger, more pressurized must-win in league history than the one Houston would face on Sunday. Let the gray-bearded Kerry Collins and Co. come in and embarrass the home team, and Gary Kubiak's Texans may never recover.

#16 hits pretty hard as well :(

16. The Lions will end the NFC's longest current playoff drought, making the playoffs for the first time since 1999. The Bills will increase the AFC's longest current playoff drought, missing the playoffs for the 12th time since 1999. The Texans, who have never made the playoffs since joining the league in 2002, will need to win at home against Tennessee in Week 17 to clinch a berth, but fall short for a 10th straight year. Texans owner Bob McNair will give Kubiak an immediate vote of confidence.

thunderkyss
09-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Every game is a must win for the Texans. At least that is the way I think they should approach each & every game on the schedule.

mussop
09-06-2011, 12:23 PM
YES! This should be a give me without peyton. These are the kind o games we have to win if we want to make the playoffs.

Errant Hothy
09-06-2011, 12:26 PM
To make the playoffs, all division games must be treated as must wins. This was true beofre we learned about 18's health problems and it's till true this afternoon. Nothing has really changed from the Texans' standpoint.

TexanSam
09-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I wouldn't say it's a must win, but if they want the fans to have confidence in them then it's pretty close to one. If they look like the Texans of old after all the hype from the new, revamped D...well we'll probably see a lot of these afterward.

:wadepalm:

Cjeremy635
09-06-2011, 12:31 PM
No, it's not.

Should they approach every week like it's a "must win"? Yes, but they aren't going to win them all. All that matters is the record at the end of the season and getting into the playoffs. IIRC, we put an ass-load of emphasis on the opener against Indy last year and where did that get us? We won, but we still didn't accomplish shit over the course of the season. Win or lose, I hope they take something from this game to build off of for next week:

If they win, they are as good as they thought they were and that gives them confidence going into week 2. Keep the juggernaut going strong.

If they lose, they were not as good as they thought they were and realize what they need to fix to turn it around and right the ship.

You can't get too high or too low, it's a long season folks.

Playoffs
09-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I say it's a must win.

:d:

silvrhand
09-06-2011, 12:50 PM
If they win, they are as good as they thought they were and that gives them confidence going into week 2. Keep the juggernaut going strong.

If they lose, they were not as good as they thought they were and realize what they need to fix to turn it around and right the ship.

You can't get too high or too low, it's a long season folks.

This is what makes it so important though, are the Texans enough of a team to right the ship, or is it enough to bust a hole in the lifeboat and sink it.

Goatcheese
09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
It isn't a must win... but it is a must play well.

:faildetector:

markn
09-06-2011, 12:57 PM
No, 'must win' is surely the highest standard of importance and I would think should be taken literally, ie win or go home.

This game probably rises to the level of 'hugely important'. I wouldn't even classify it as 'vital' or 'season defining'. I say it's hugely important because it sets the tone and answers the question 'can we win against teams we're expected to beat'. The Texans historically have a poor record when favored by the odds-makers. This is a great time to show that we're for real. A resounding win will help, especially if we look good against the run - which appears our biggest weakness at this time - but, while demoralizing, a defeat would not end our season

Trap_Star
09-06-2011, 12:58 PM
yes it is...we lose this game, this team could easily fall into a spiral it can't get out of.

El Tejano
09-06-2011, 12:58 PM
It's a must win. Don't think for a second #18 isn't going over film with Collins though. It's not going to be easy. Collins has had good games against us. That D better be ready.

The way my week is going, it wouldn't suprise me if we went in the tank this week.

silvrhand
09-06-2011, 01:02 PM
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/9803310.jpg

Hervoyel
09-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Every game is a must win for the Texans. At least that is the way I think they should approach each & every game on the schedule.

This. If anyone employed by the Texans has the slightest idea that there are any games on the schedule that are "gimmies" they need to be sent packing. Nobody on that team can afford to take anything for granted.

They've never looked better but that just means they've never had a chance to fall this far or this hard. The real problem I see here is that they should set out to just literally destroy every team they play and nobody on that coaching staff has that kind of intensity in them. At least not that I can detect.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2011, 01:05 PM
The article is kinda stupid. There is no such thing as a "must win" in week 1. Would it be horrible and embarrassing if we lose....yes. Will our season be over if we lose....no. Hence not a "must win". Which is a phrase that's entirely overused to begin with.. I.E. this case. :rolleyes:

disaacks3
09-06-2011, 01:07 PM
The Texans, who have never made the playoffs since joining the league in 2002, will need to win at home against Tennessee in Week 17 to clinch a berth, but fall short for a 10th straight year. Texans owner Bob McNair will give Kubiak an immediate vote of confidence. Ouch.

Must win? If you're Kubiak, it'd better be. If the Texans can't beat a Manning-less Colts, then they won't break .500.

Hookem Horns
09-06-2011, 01:13 PM

LOL, I was expecting someone to pull out that David Carr quote.

HOU-TEX
The Lombardi's of the World will have a field day if we lose. Not that I care...just sayin

Marcus
Sounds like setup if you ask me.

One team has all the pressure to win. The other team, expected to lose, comes in loose. LOL! Yeah, we all know how those games turn out.

Dutchrudder
09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Yes, every game is the Texans Super Bowl! We must win them all, starting week 1!

Vinny
09-06-2011, 01:19 PM
No one week will make or break this team but this team just needs to start beating good teams...period. This team beats up on the little sisters of the poor and will win the end of year game against playoff teams once they have clinched. This is the year that they just need to start beating good teams on a regular or at least semi-regular basis.

Rey
09-06-2011, 01:20 PM
It depends on how you define must win and what you think will happen if they don't win.

IMO, no it's not a must win, but it will be very dissapointing if they don't.

beerlover
09-06-2011, 01:25 PM
One of my neighbors who works for Relient Stadium told me plans are in the works that surpass even last years Cowboys game. That being said, Texans cannot afford to lose this game despite being just one out of sixteen games.

80tothezone
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
We have got to win the games against teams not as good as us, Indy - Peyton is worse than us....

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

TEXANRED
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Yes its a must win. Every divisional home game is a must win.

TdotTexas2Step
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
With how everything seems to be falling into place (Colts, Jags, and Titans all sporting new QBs now), you've got to absolutely take advantage of this. If there's such thing as a "Must-Win" on week 1, it's this. With the Saints, Steelers, and Ravens on the horizon, you've got to get this one. If anything for our morale and confidence, which will play a huge role against those playoff teams.

Ndevine7
09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
To make the playoffs, all division games must be treated as must wins. This was true beofre we learned about 18's health problems and it's till true this afternoon. Nothing has really changed from the Texans' standpoint.

I agree, to be a true playoff team you need to have success in the division. Since 2002, the Texans have gone 1-5, 1-5, 4-2, 0-6, 3-3, 1-5, 2-4, 1-5, 3-3. With the exception of the 2004 season the Texans have never faired well in the division. If they really want to take the next step this year they need to go at least 4-2 in the division hopefully 5-1. Until then its gonna be real hard for this team to make the playoffs. I have as much hope as the next guy but they need to show that they can win in the division when it means the most.

Norg
09-06-2011, 03:20 PM
If we lose the people will want to make history FIre Kubes After Week 1 : P

anywho every week is a must win ...intill we get a platoff bye and home field throughout the playoffs ...intill that point every week is a must win

Blake
09-06-2011, 03:28 PM
I havent read a single reply, but the answer is yes. If this team cant beat a Manning less Colts team with Kerry Collins at the helm then you might as well forget about beating actual solid well rounded teams with solid quarterback play, and great defenses. Because those are called playoff teams.

Carr Bombed
09-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Yes its a must win. Every divisional home game is a must win.

Really, how many teams go to the playoffs with a 6-0 divisional record?

Somebody needs to go rewrite his article, because now apparently the Colts, Titans, and Jags games are all MUST wins and life as we know it will seize to exist in Houston if we lose, since all of those teams are without last year's starting QB. :rolleyes:

fiasco west
09-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Look what winning against the Colts WITH Manning did for the Texans last year...

Diddly.

They went on to go 4-0 but then went on to lose about every game on out.

With that said it is a must win simply because it is a division game. Peyton or no Peyton, division games you gotta win. But if they lose the season is far from over.

TdotTexas2Step
09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Look what winning against the Colts WITH Manning did for the Texans last year...

Diddly.

They went on to go 4-0 but then went on to lose about every game on out.

With that said it is a must win simply because it is a division game. Peyton or no Peyton, division games you gotta win. But if they lose the season is far from over.

IMO, I don't think it's the same. Last year, we managed to surprise the Colts (and ourselves) with a very unexpected running game led by Foster. As butter as they are against the run, I'm pretty sure they weren't expecting a historic performance. Regardless of the outcome, they knew who they were as a team, where their strengths lay, and what they needed to do to make sure they got back on track and to win the division.

In regards to the Texans this year, we know what we'll be walking into - a Manning-less Colts with an anemic running game, a freshly out of retirement QB, and a receiving group who has been practicing with multiple QBs. There's absolutely no reason we should lose this, and if we do, how can us fans or the team for that matter expect themselves to be able to compete with the likes of the Steelers, Saints, or Ravens.

True, we may very well still be able to win the division even if we lose the opener, but let's not hold ourselves to such low standards. Instead of being given the AFC South Crown, let's take it convincingly. And the best way to do that, is to win this first one.

Norg
09-06-2011, 03:58 PM
If we lose this game i srsy think there will be riots for Kubes Head :mariopalm:

so i change the question " Is this a MUST!!! win for ol Kubes "

SheTexan
09-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Well, to a couple of our HIGH PROFILE players, it's "just another game." If they continue to sport that type of attitude then we're in for another disappointing season. JMO

To answer that question and to be :includeme: my answer is NO. If they let one loss defeat them, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs!!

BTW: Kerry Collins owns us!!

fiasco west
09-06-2011, 04:06 PM
IMO, I don't think it's the same. Last year, we managed to surprise the Colts (and ourselves) with a very unexpected running game led by Foster. As butter as they are against the run, I'm pretty sure they weren't expecting a historic performance. Regardless of the outcome, they knew who they were as a team, where their strengths lay, and what they needed to do to make sure they got back on track and to win the division.

In regards to the Texans this year, we know what we'll be walking into - a Manning-less Colts with an anemic running game, a freshly out of retirement QB, and a receiving group who has been practicing with multiple QBs. There's absolutely no reason we should lose this, and if we do, how can us fans or the team for that matter expect themselves to be able to compete with the likes of the Steelers, Saints, or Ravens.

True, we may very well still be able to win the division even if we lose the opener, but let's not hold ourselves to such low standards. Instead of being given the AFC South Crown, let's take it convincingly. And the best way to do that, is to win this first one.

Thing is though...teams come out flat sometimes even the best of teams. Then you throw in a rivalry game, the Colts will be up for this. They will want to prove everyone wrong and this is their chance.

Just because the Steelers have lost to the Browns a few times doesn't make them a lesser team...or because the Pats can lose to the Dolphins...

That's why we love football, Any Given Sunday. If the Texans come out flat and the Colts go on to build a good lead and let their defense go the Texans can very well lose this game. Still though the cream always rises and the Texans (with Manning Out) are a better team and should finish with a better record.

The Colts will be a bad team without Manning, but still bad teams find a way to win a few games. If the Texans come out unfocused and think this game is a gimme they will likely lose, but they still have enough time to refocus and right their ship as they would have only just lost one game.

HJam72
09-06-2011, 07:35 PM
There is no must-win in week 1. No such thing.

We could lose at home with Manning in street clothes and then later win in Indy against Manning. It could happen, no matter how unlikely.

KA4Texan
09-06-2011, 07:46 PM
yes it is...we lose this game, this team could easily fall into a spiral it can't get out of.

The reverse is also true..... just look at last season we win and head into a downward spiral "shortly" after.

As far as numbers go, NO, as a fan that is dying to hold onto this hope that we might finally see whats around this damn "corner" we keep hearing about, or for once this train stay on "the right track" instead of being de-railed, HELL YES.

Speedy
09-06-2011, 09:56 PM
It's a must win. Don't think for a second #18 isn't going over film with Collins though. It's not going to be easy. Collins has had good games against us. That D better be ready.

The way my week is going, it wouldn't suprise me if we went in the tank this week.

Collins had good games against a team that never pressured the QB. If this Texans team does, old man Collins can't move around. That dude will be toast.

I agree that all should be treated as must wins. Week one especially needs to be a win with the Steelers, Saints and Ravens coming up real quick.

TimeKiller
09-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Thread:

Over.

ObsiWan
09-06-2011, 11:42 PM
^^^^
This.

I couldn't help but think of Herm as I read thru this thread...

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKysv9pIhsIvFx1A7z89RxGVfQudGp3 IkgzWamnH6c_BMTbK_5eg
you PLAY
to WIN
the Game

....hello?

Is it a "must win"?
I don't see how you cannot have that attitude going into any regular season game if you haven't sewn up the division title AND home field advantage.
And you sure as heck can't accomplish those goals in week one. So yeah, every game is "must win".

GP
09-06-2011, 11:55 PM

:faildetector:

Beat me to it.

Classic quote. Will NEVER forget it. I remember when it happened, and I was like "Are you freaking KIDDING ME?!?!" LOL. Stupid a-hole quote #2 was last year's DeMeco Ryans replying in an interview the week of the reg season Cowboys-Texans game as it being "Just another game..." :truck:

imatexan
09-06-2011, 11:59 PM
How did that work out for us last year?

I mean of course we should win and I expect to but does that mean if we lose the season is over?
No, just the media trying to come up with a big story.

80tothezone
09-07-2011, 12:31 AM
It's only really made more important by the fact that it is the first game of the year, While I like the idea of us winning and us loosing does bode bad for the season, our real test comes in Pittsburgh, and Baltimore. Even so a must win game is a make or break your playoff season.

HJam72
09-07-2011, 08:46 AM
There's a big difference between "just another game" and a "must win." This is a division game and that alone makes it important and not "just another game," but I still say no week 1 game is a "must win." It will not by itself get us into or out of the playoffs. It will likely have an impact on that, but a "must win" is a "MUST win" and we don't MUST this win, LOL.

BUT, if we lose, I'll be this guy: :overreact:

Then I'll come here and complain bitterly because Kareem Jackson fell down (or something like that).

thunderkyss
09-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I havent read a single reply, but the answer is yes. If this team cant beat a Manning less Colts team with Kerry Collins at the helm then you might as well forget about beating actual solid well rounded teams with solid quarterback play, and great defenses. Because those are called playoff teams.

We struggled to beat a Titans team with Collins at the helm.

I think the Colts have consistently had a better team than the Titans.

GP
09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
We struggled to beat a Titans team with Collins at the helm.

I think the Colts have consistently had a better team than the Titans.

Without looking, I really don't think the "We've struggled to beat a Collins-led team" theory is a slam dunk.

From what I recall, we did much better vs. Collins than we did vs. Vince Young.

Collins, especially the past couple of years, has slowed and hasn't been able to make good reads AND get the ball off on time. The guy retired, after all.

That Colts team is much more vulnerable without Manning at QB.

thunderkyss
09-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Truth be told, we all just need to get used to it.

Every game from here on out will be labeled as the most important game in Texans' history & it will be that way until we do something that means something.

Don't need to argue about it.

It is what it is.

Thorn
09-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Truth be told, we all just need to get used to it.

Every game from here on out will be labeled as the most important game in Texans' history & it will be that way until we do something that means something.

It is what it is.

Since the Dolts, Tacks and Kittens are in a decline this year, we should update this tired old cliche to say it's our most important season ever.

Playoffs
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM

It is what it is.
Yep.

Must smash, must run-over, must cut-down, must dominate. :wild:

JamesBill
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
1. Home game
2. Conference game
3. Game with Colts
42. Manning is out.

Texan_Bill
09-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Of course it's a must win. "This is the Texan's Super Bowl."

Signed,

Fans of 31 other teams.

nytexan
09-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Since the Dolts, Tacks and Kittens are in a decline this year, we should update this tired old cliche to say it's our most important season ever.

Well it's definitely Gary's and I'm already packing my car with CD's because if they lose, I'm not turning on the radio next week. I'd say I'm outta here for a week too but I know that won't last. I'll give it to 4pm Sunday than I'll probably regret getting on when I do.

drunkcookie
09-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Is this game a must win? Sure, but not any more than the other 15...

If the Texans lose to Indy Sunday and go on to finish just short of making the playoffs, people will point back to this game and say "SEE! It WASS a must-win game for the Texans!" Well, if the Texans miss the playoffs, than obviously they lost another five or so games, so those were just as important, I don't care who is/isn't playing...

True must-win games are in week 17, if you "must" win...

thunderkyss
09-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Win or lose, I'm sport'n my Texans' gear Monday

That's just the way I roll

DocBar
09-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Any division game should be a must win, regardless of the opponent. Winning your division is the only gauranteed way to the playoffs.

Lucky
09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
This is the year that they just need to start beating good teams on a regular or at least semi-regular basis.
You're right. The problem here is, that this Manning-less Colt team cannot be described as good. I think the Colts were on the downturn with Manning. Beating the Colts on Sunday is an example of winning the games you are supposed to win.
The term "must win" is overused. I would describe Sunday's game as a "statement game". The Texans can make a statement to the Colts that the division's top dog now resides in Houston. They can make a statement to the league that they're now a force to be reckoned with. They can make a statement to their fans that they're ready to protect their house. More importantly, they can make a statement to themselves that this year will be different. This is the year they win.

Of course, winning only setups another statement game. Which sets up another. Success raises the level of expectations. And that's what the Texans as an organization needs to do. Raise their level of expectations. Act and play like a champion. It starts on Sunday.

drs23
09-07-2011, 06:52 PM
You're right. The problem here is, that this Manning-less Colt team cannot be described as good. I think the Colts were on the downturn with Manning. Beating the Colts on Sunday is an example of winning the games you are supposed to win.

The term "must win" is overused. I would describe Sunday's game as a "statement game". The Texans can make a statement to the Colts that the division's top dog now resides in Houston. They can make a statement to the league that they're now a force to be reckoned with. They can make a statement to their fans that they're ready to protect their house. More importantly, they can make a statement to themselves that this year will be different. This is the year they win.

Of course, winning only setups another statement game. Which sets up another. Success raises the level of expectations. And that's what the Texans as an organization needs to do. Raise their level of expectations. Act and play like a champion. It starts on Sunday.

That saved me a lot of keystrokes Lucky, thanks.

REP

DocBar
09-07-2011, 06:54 PM

We could lose at home with Manning in street clothes and then later win in Indy against Manning. It could happen, no matter how unlikely.If we'd beaten the Jets in the opener in '9, we'd be a playoff team. We didn't and, we let several winnable games become losses. Was the Jets game a "must win" at the time? No, but by losing that game, we made the rest of the games we lost "must wins". That's why evrey game, especially division games, should be considered "must win".

fiasco west
09-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Of course it's a must win. "This is the Texan's Super Bowl."

Signed,

Fans of 31 other teams.

Lol!

We sure do seem to get that a lot.

DBCooper
09-07-2011, 07:17 PM
If we are to go 19-0 it is!

HJam72
09-07-2011, 07:29 PM
If we are to go 19-0 it is!

...and there ya have it. :fans:

DocBar
09-07-2011, 07:44 PM
...and there ya have it. :fans:

dare to believe!!!!

gary
09-07-2011, 07:52 PM
This is a trap game if I ever saw one nothing is a given in this world not just the NFL.

alphajoker
09-07-2011, 08:00 PM
This is a trap game if I ever saw one nothing is a given in this world not just the NFL.

A trap game is a lesser opponent between two tougher ones. First off, I am certain the Texans are not looking past this game since it is a divisional game and they need to make a statement. Especially on defense. Secondly, this is the first game of the year so it really can't be a trap game.

gary
09-07-2011, 08:18 PM
A trap game is a lesser opponent between two tougher ones. First off, I am certain the Texans are not looking past this game since it is a divisional game and they need to make a statement. Especially on defense. Secondly, this is the first game of the year so it really can't be a trap game.Manning is not playing and therefore I see a lot of people choosing the Texans to win on Sunday. Hopefully the team is not thinking that way otherwise the possibility of a trap game is very legitimate IMHO.

Wolf
09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
when you play your division opponents, kick their ass..

it is only another game"when we play the cowboys" :facepalm:

:lion:

besides, i am waiting for Keith to get something new up on his main page. (and for Gary and Wade to prove him wrong :fingergun:(one out of 10 ain't bad LOL)

when I read this, I read this with the style of Bud light real men of genius rolling in my head

August 21, 2011
All Hail The Fake Season Czar™
by Keith Weiland

Coach August would like to use this space to remind all of y'all that champions are made by how you practice, and especially by how you play these practice games. You see, these preseason victories give the team momentum, and that's just not something you flip on and off.

You probably think it's hard to flip it back on in the final month of the season, too, like when a team starts off 4-7 then really rips into it when it counts down the stretch. That's right. Coach August likes being Coach December, too. That's just how he rolls.

Hell yeah, the Texans whupped the Saints and Jets at home in fake games to start the preseason 2-0. Those are playoff teams, darn good ones, too. Their second and third stringers are really licking their wounds after making the trip to Gridiron, Texas, aren't they?

So damn right you better start printing those Super Bowl tickets. Mayor Annise Parker, if you haven't already drawn up the parade route, then you might as well punch FEMA into your speed dial. You're gonna want to go National Guard on this town once this team gets rolling.

These Texans are a juggernaut because the preseason tells us so. Buckle up, Space City. We are a go for launch. Once we get done with August, then look out for us come December because you know that The Fake Season Czar™ never loses in Week 17. That's right, 5-0 to close out every regular season, 'cause there's nothing like having that momentum heading into next August.

Oh snap, NFL! You just got served.

http://www.inthebullseye.com/

DocBar
09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
when you play your division opponents, kick their ass..

it is only another game"when we play the cowboys" :facepalm:

:lion:

besides, i am waiting for Keith to get something new up on his main page. (and for Gary and Wade to prove him wrong :fingergun:(one out of 10 ain't bad LOL)

when I read this, I read this with the style of Bud light real men of genius rolling in my head

http://www.inthebullseye.com/Kieth has shown himself to be an idealogue and less than a true Texan fan because he only posts when the texans are anything near positive. I'm tired of his bullshit.

Lucky
09-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Kieth has shown himself to be an idealogue and less than a true Texan fan because he only posts when the texans are anything near positive. I'm tired of his bullshit.
Keith has been a Texan fan since the beginning and has single-handedly kept his web site up through terrorist attacks, defections, disinterest, and lockouts. No, he's never been a member of the Sunshine Club and has always called it the way he's seen it. But, that's what a true fan does. Seeks the truth. Keith is a true Texan fan and he shouldn't have his fandom questioned by anyone.

digitalswim
09-07-2011, 09:34 PM
This whole Manning is hurt thing really sucks (I wish the guy a speedy recovery). When the Texans cave their collective skulls in on Sunday all we are going to hear is that things would have been different if Manning had been there. I call BS.

The Texans can beat the Colts with him or with out him playing (and I wish he was playing). Yeah I know about his record against the Texans. That means jack. To me it's the equivalent of kicking my lil brothers ass since he was 4 years old. Eventually he grows up. Suddenly that "lil" guy I used to toss around isn't so little anymore. Every dog has his day.

Vinny
09-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Keith has been a Texan fan since the beginning and has single-handedly kept his web site up through terrorist attacks, defections, disinterest, and lockouts. No, he's never been a member of the Sunshine Club and has always called it the way he's seen it. But, that's a true fan does. Seeks the truth. Keith is a true Texan fan and he shouldn't have his fandom questioned by anyone.
I had the pleasure of sharing the first round of the draft with Keith and Herv at a micro-draft party at Herv's house in 2007. He is one of the more intellectual, insightful Texans fans I've met. He's shelled out the bucks for HPF and inthebullseye with his own money from day one. True blue fan. I also thought he was taller than that...go figure.

DocBar
09-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Keith has been a Texan fan since the beginning and has single-handedly kept his web site up through terrorist attacks, defections, disinterest, and lockouts. No, he's never been a member of the Sunshine Club and has always called it the way he's seen it. But, that's what a true fan does. Seeks the truth. Keith is a true Texan fan and he shouldn't have his fandom questioned by anyone.He also goes months and months without updating his website and posts completely useless drivel from time to time. There hasn't been a more staunch Texans fan than myself, since 2002. I realize the truth about our franchises history, but I don't quit posting about it midseason or even mod-offseason like Keith does. Have your opinion and defend it. I'll have mine and do the same.

badboy
09-07-2011, 10:07 PM
A trap game is a lesser opponent between two tougher ones. First off, I am certain the Texans are not looking past this game since it is a divisional game and they need to make a statement. Especially on defense. Secondly, this is the first game of the year so it really can't be a trap game.A "trap" game for me is any game that traps me into thinking I can get away with a win without my 100%focus. Sticking my hand in one beehive while I am thinking about the hive in the next tree down the line.

The Indy game is a must because 1) the team needs the confidence & th elack of fan criticism to mature into the team we are going to be. 2) It will be a W against division opponent and 3) it will bring national attention to Houston regardless if Manning is out.

TheMatrix31
09-07-2011, 10:14 PM
That's ****ed up.

Keith is a very good fan. He's articulate and intelligent. No need to update every single day. This site gets more traffic than his does. I post there too. It's a very tight-knit, cool place to be.

Lucky
09-07-2011, 10:40 PM
There hasn't been a more staunch Texans fan than myself, since 2002.
Well, give yourself a big pat on the back.

http://crossfit707.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/imagesCAVHBLTG.jpg

I think it's OK to criticize someone's take. But to question someone's fandom is over the top. And because he hasn't updated his blog during the lockout? That's absurd.

infantrycak
09-08-2011, 10:15 AM
I can't believe anyone would question Keith's dedication, fandom or football knowledge. Differ on a take, sure.

markn
09-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Given the number of people who agree that this is a 'must win' game, I must hold the definition of 'must win' to a different standard.

What's the definition of a 'must win' game? I take it quite literally, i.e. lose and your season is done. If it doesn't mean that, then what expression do you use for a game that is that important?

If this truly was a 'must win' game then it would mean that the stakes were so high that you'd (e.g.) play a semi-fit Arian Foster to give you every chance to win, even if that meant risking his availability for future games. I don't think too many people would accept that risk for this game.

Double Barrel
09-08-2011, 10:44 AM
All these expectations on the Texans scare me. It's not a place that I feel comfortable as a fan, because it feels like a setup. I have been conditioned by a decade of mediocrity to expect little from this franchise, even though they are the only team that I care about. They have never displayed a tendency to live up to their potential and media hype. It is going to take a fundamental shift in franchise mentality for them to both win the games they are 'supposed' to win (like this one) and win against playoff-caliber opponents.

I am excited about this season, but I cannot deny that it is tempered by this franchise's futile history. I'm sure part of that conditioning is left over from being an Oilers fan for most of my life. Such is the way of a Houston football fan.

So "must win"? It depends on perspective. It is an important game to set the tone for the season. IF they should lose to this Colts team, it will be an embarrassing letdown from all the hype and expectations.

GP
09-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Why is the topic of "Keith" so sacred?

He's a fallible human. So what.

I'm curious to know why he supposedly goes so long without updating his blog if he's as dedicated, knowledgeable, etc., as people claim. I think it's a valid "take" on it, even if it hurts some feelings. A take is a take. Period.

DocBar, IMO, wasn't saying the guy is a bum. I think he was scratching his head on why there's the level of reverence for the guy. When people start saying how fun it is to hang out and have a beer with the guy, he's a nice guy, he's good people, yada yada yada...to me, that doesn't mean that his "take" on things should be held in any more high esteem than anybody else's.

In fact, he's as mortal as any of us. Therefore, when someone says they don't care for the guy's blog AND they don't think he's as super as some think he is, why does that have to bring a mountain of lava down upon DocBar's head?

This place has been getting more hostile, I've noticed. Sheesh, one person says they don't care for Arian Foster and dares to be contrary to the majority...and another person says about the same thing about this guy named "Keith," and it's "How DARE YOU!" and the hate replies ensue from there.

Tolerance is a fickle creature, ain't she?

FirstTexansFan
09-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Tolerance is a fickle creature, ain't she?

Yep... I used to be your #1 fan, but I've moved on to Brakos... :)

thunderkyss
09-08-2011, 06:20 PM

So you're expecting a beat down?

A simple win, a close win, doesn't say anything like that. To make that statement, we've got to go back to the "beating the good teams" thing. This year, that's the Saints, Steelers, Ravens, & Atlanta.

DocBar
09-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Well, give yourself a big pat on the back.

http://crossfit707.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/imagesCAVHBLTG.jpg

I think it's OK to criticize someone's take. But to question someone's fandom is over the top. And because he hasn't updated his blog during the lockout? That's absurd.My criticism of Keith has nothing to do with the lockout. I've followed his website doe several years and it always stops when the Texans are obviously out of the playoffs. There are gaps of months between posts on the blog. There is no correlation between Texans news and updates on the blog. The forums may be up andkicking ass, but the blog is silent for months.

rush2112mn
09-09-2011, 07:15 PM
Every game should be viewed as a must win game.......every game........you start thinking about well....we can lose that game...then that game.....oh....they are much better than us......you have already lost.......you have a defeatist attitude......a defeatist fan.......

Lucky
09-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Why is the topic of "Keith" so sacred?
Keith is actually a member of this forum. Forum members aren't topics. It's perfectly OK to critique what he writes on his blog or anywhere else. Don't make it personal. I realize it's difficult for some to comprehend this. Just don't do it.

DocBar
09-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Keith is actually a member of this forum. Forum members aren't topics. It's perfectly OK to critique what he writes on his blog or anywhere else. Don't make it personal. I realize it's difficult for some to comprehend this. Just don't do it.For the record, I'm not making it "personal" with Keith. It just happens to be his name on the blog, so he gets the grief from me. IMO, if you're going to go to the trouble of having a blog, why not post something more than every few months. And when you do post on it, make it more substantial than dogging the head coach when it's more than obvious the head coach will be around for another year.