PDA

View Full Version : All Encompasing Peyton Manning Thread

Cush
09-04-2011, 08:13 PM
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2011/9/4/2405079/report-peyton-manning-needs-a-2nd-surgery-out-indefinitely

Stars aligning for the Texans?

:kitten:

stingray
09-04-2011, 08:17 PM
Wow, just wow..

prostock101
09-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Stunning news per PFT. And he just signed that huge contract. Hmmmm......

Here’s one that we considered holding until we could get confirmation. But the emails are flowing in like chocolates on a conveyor belt, and the only way to turn the machine off is to post an item on what could be a stunning development in the saga of Colts quarterback Peyton Manning.

Radio host John Michael Vincent of ESPN 1070 in Indianapolis says via Twitter, citing multiple unnamed sources, that Manning needs another procedure on his neck, and that Manning is out indefinitely.

Manning has had two neck surgeries in the last two years, and there have been concerns regarding his recovery and rehabilitation. The team’s recent decision to sign Kerry Collins raised eyebrows. Since then, Manning has been activated from the Physically Unable to Perform list, and he lately has seemed upbeat when discussing the situation with the media. Also, the decision to keep only two other quarterbacks.

Says John Michael Vincent, who goes by his initials on the air, of his report: “I’m not trying to be a newsbreaker. Never cared for that. I thought you would like to know. Seems to be solid. If I’m wrong U can torch me.”

The Colts have been silent so far, but owner Jim Irsay has made an indirect reference on Twitter to the classic astronaut SOS: “Houston, we have a problem.” Instead of typing those words, Irsay has opted for the lesser-known follow up.

“Excuse me, sir, I think this will be our finest hour.”
If JMV is accurate, Colts fans will have a hard time agreeing with that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/04/indy-radio-host-says-peyton-needs-another-neck-procedure/

texanmojo
09-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Wow!

Speechless if this is true.

Hervoyel
09-04-2011, 08:43 PM
No, that's "WOW! just WOW!"

Hope he's fine but that's the one guy in the NFL who literally cannot be replaced. If he's really going to miss the season then they're going to be in the drivers seat for Andrew Luck come draft time. Figures.

badboy
09-04-2011, 08:44 PM
If true I'd like to see this sports icon retire without chancing a very bad injury that could kill him.

redwhiteANDblue
09-04-2011, 08:45 PM
so he's out for the year?

Colts Fans: :overreact:

JimBaker488
09-04-2011, 08:46 PM
So does this mean that if Manning is out all year and the Texans win the AFC South in 2011, people will say the same thing about the them they said about the Rockets when then won the NBA title while MJ wasn't with the Bulls ?

Jackie Chiles
09-04-2011, 08:48 PM
So does this mean that if Manning is out all year and the Texans win the AFC South in 2011, people will say the same thing about the them they said about the Rockets when then won the NBA title while MJ wasn't with the Bulls ?

Who cares, potential home playoff game is all that matters. Feel bad for Manning but injuries happen to the best of them. Obviously we need to wait for better confirmation on the injury anyway.

Rey
09-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Yep and just like the rockets theyd be wrong.

JimBaker488
09-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Hope he's fine but that's the one guy in the NFL who literally cannot be replaced. If he's really going to miss the season then they're going to be in the drivers seat for Andrew Luck come draft time. Figures.
If this Luck kid is half as good as they say he is, then the #1 overall next year is really gonna be valuable under the new CBA rookie wage scale where teams don't have to cough up huge sums of guaranteed money for the top picks.

prostock101
09-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Now Colts Prez sez he doesn't know anything about a second surgery. The NFL is almost like the CIA......per PFT.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/04/bill-polian-on-manning-report-i-dont-know-anything-about-that/

Pantherstang84
09-04-2011, 09:08 PM
I will believe it when I see Manning in street clothes one week from today.

TEXANRED
09-04-2011, 09:11 PM

You could just as easily say the Texans would have been a better team if not having to start a franchise against the greatest QB to play the game.

Or you could say that Manning's #'s are only so great cus he gets to play the Texans secondary 2x a year for the last 10 years.

People will always say something.

DX-TEX
09-04-2011, 09:12 PM
I will believe it when I see Manning in street clothes one week from today.

King also says that he believes Manning out anywhere from 2-6 games.

JimBaker488
09-04-2011, 09:14 PM
When's our game in Indy, maybe we get real lucky and don't face him either of the Indy games ?

Pantherstang84
09-04-2011, 09:14 PM

Like I said...either he has to be in street clothes or he doesn't make the trip with the team.

badboy
09-04-2011, 09:29 PM
Like I said...either he has to be in street clothes or he doesn't make the trip with the team.Maybe we could trade one of our back up QBs for a draft pick. Hey, it worked with Dallas.

Ryan
09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Filed to ESPN from @mortreport: Peyton Manning is being revaluated by several doctors bc of slow progress. No other procedure planned now

Heath Shuler
09-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Usually I wouldn’t believe this for a second, but Manning is on my fantasy team and I have a long history of season ending injuries for QB’s going way back to the early 90’s when Randall Cunningham didn’t make it through the first game, just like Tom Brady who I also had the year when he went down.

redwhiteANDblue
09-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Usually I wouldn’t believe this for a second, but Manning is on my fantasy team and I have a long history of season ending injuries for QB’s going way back to the early 90’s when Randall Cunningham didn’t make it through the first game, just like Tom Brady who I also had the year when he went down.

Can you please never draft Matt Schaub? Oh and i would suggest sticking with QBs in our division :)

prostock101
09-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know what kind of surgery he had? I was reading that the recovery requires some kind of nerve regeneration?

DocBar
09-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Usually I wouldn’t believe this for a second, but Manning is on my fantasy team and I have a long history of season ending injuries for QB’s going way back to the early 90’s when Randall Cunningham didn’t make it through the first game, just like Tom Brady who I also had the year when he went down.Dude, if you draft Schaub and he goes down, you might want to go into protective custody. Like RWB said, stay in-division and draft Garrard and/or Hasslebutt.

Heath Shuler
09-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Can you please never draft Matt Schaub? Oh and i would suggest sticking with QBs in our division :)

Dude, if you draft Schaub and he goes down, you might want to go into protective custody. Like RWB said, stay in-division and draft Garrard and/or Hasslebutt.

Wont ever take him; promise fellas.

I was talking with my Dad about this ff draft and he gave me a hard time for taking a hurt Manning but I told him I’m winner either way: either he doesn’t play and it helps the Texans or he does and my fantasy team rocks.

honored82
09-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Contrary to a previous report by an Indianapolis radio station, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports there are no further procedures planned for Peyton Manning "now."

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning

alphajoker
09-04-2011, 10:01 PM

Yeah, I thought of the irony in that as well.

Playoffs
09-04-2011, 10:27 PM
Stunning news per PFT.

Here’s one that we considered holding until we could get confirmation...
Kinda like when PFT reported Lee Roy Selmon dead 3 days ago.

Playoffs
09-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Filed to ESPN from @mortreport: Peyton Manning is being revaluated by several doctors bc of slow progress. No other procedure planned now.

TdotTexas2Step
09-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Smokescreen :barman:

DocBar
09-04-2011, 11:12 PM
If this Luck kid is half as good as they say he is, then the #1 overall next year is really gonna be valuable under the new CBA rookie wage scale where teams don't have to cough up huge sums of guaranteed money for the top picks.Ah yes, the "Suck for Luck" contest. I will refrain from adding to this, because I believe in karma....:goodluck:

Ryan
09-04-2011, 11:22 PM
Out 4-5 weeks according to this source.

CBSFantasyFB CBSFantasyFootball
Our own @realfreemancbs reports that Peyton Manning could miss 4 or 5 games http://tinyurl.com/3qwh75p Every #fantasyfootball owner stay tuned

DocBar
09-04-2011, 11:30 PM
LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/04/mort-no-new-procedure-on-peytons-neck-as-of-now/)
The good news for Colts fans? According to Chris Mortensen of ESPN, a new procedure/surgery on quarterback Peyton Manning’s neck has not been performed nor is plan.

The bad news? Here are the key words from Mort: “As of now.”

Mort says that Manning is “getting multiple opinions” and “still waiting for answers on slow progress.”

Mort also offered up an ominous but vague assessment of Manning’s availability for Week One against the Texans. Pointing out that the Colts didn’t believe Manning would be ready for the opener upon signing quarterback Kerry Collins, Mort now says that “[b]arring [a] miracle, that’s more evident.”

As to Manning’s status and the slow recovery following the May procedure, Mortensen writes that “[o]ne possibility is scar tissue trapping inflammation/nerves,” but that there is “no consensus” among the doctors who are on the case.

Bottom line? It’s looking more and more like Manning won’t play in Week One. The bigger question at this point is whether he’ll be available come Week Two, and beyond.I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this could be career threatening. Nerve damage/regeneration is highly ambiguous and varies widely from individual to individual. It could take weeks or months.

Jackie Chiles
09-04-2011, 11:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6931858/peyton-manning-neck-being-re-evaluated-doctors-sources-say

"According to sources, multiple neurosurgeons have been consulted throughout the course of Manning's recovery, but they do not have a consensus reason for the slow pace. The sources added that Manning was still waiting for more information from doctors.

The Colts activated Manning from the physically-unable-to-perform list on Aug. 29 and cleared him to practice on a limited basis. However, sources said Sunday that he has not been able to throw anywhere near his pre-surgery capacity. Manning had been on the PUP list since the team's first training camp practice on Aug. 1 following the May procedure to repair a nerve in his neck. "

CharloTex
09-05-2011, 12:10 AM

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking too.

BigBull17
09-05-2011, 12:14 AM

Great, we'll have to play Luck twice a year for next 10-12 years. Figures

CharloTex
09-05-2011, 12:17 AM
You could just as easily say the Texans would have been a better team if not having to start a franchise against the greatest QB to play the game.

Or you could say that Manning's #'s are only so great cus he gets to play the Texans secondary 2x a year for the last 10 years.

People will always say something.

Spot on dude. Spot friggin' on!!

CharloTex
09-05-2011, 12:19 AM
When's our game in Indy, maybe we get real lucky and don't face him either of the Indy games ?

We play in Indy in Week 16, the second to last game of the year.

CharloTex
09-05-2011, 12:20 AM

Well then, thanks are in order for you having drafted him. I very much appreciate it.

HouSportsWriter
09-05-2011, 12:46 AM

With any "Luck" he will be the next David Carr of the AFC South..

DocBar
09-05-2011, 12:57 AM
I'm having a ball at coltfeaks.com. They don't seem to like anybody. That's a sign of fear to me.

Ndevine7
09-05-2011, 01:41 AM

The Colts are still a way better team then coming in last. Kerry Collins has proved that he can still play a bit and they have a decent defense and still some solid playmakers. I could see the Dolphins getting Luck. Not saying that if Manning is out for the season that Barkley cant come into Indy

DocBar
09-05-2011, 02:07 AM
The Colts are still a way better team then coming in last. Kerry Collins has proved that he can still play a bit and they have a decent defense and still some solid playmakers. I could see the Dolphins getting Luck. Not saying that if Manning is out for the season that Barkley cant come into IndyHow so? The entire premise of the offense runs through Manning. Their defense is horrible and they've done liitle to improve it.

TheMatrix31
09-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Let's not talk shit anywhere or on anyone. We certainly can't afford to shit on luck that we've never demonstrated having.

DocBar
09-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Let's not talk shit anywhere or on anyone. We certainly can't afford to shit on luck that we've never demonstrated having.I'm giving them all the props in the world. They, on the other hand, started out talking shit but have calmed down. It was just funny seeing how defensive they are. Wild animals caught in a trap and all.

Heath Shuler
09-05-2011, 08:44 AM
@AdamSchefter
There are no plans for a second neck procedure for Peyton Manning. Colts will address Manning's status for opener by noon today.

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/110701625269686272

Heath Shuler
09-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Jim Irsay is freaking out Colts fans

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/05/jim-irsay-is-freaking-out-colts-fans/

Irsay’s tweets are often song lyrics. When they aren’t lyrics, he’s often just messing around. But Nate Dunlevy at the excellent Colts blog 18to88.com compiled some of Irsay’s tweets since Friday and the result is compelling.

Here are a few that stuck out, although you could check the whole list here.

1. “There was the Rams-K Warner Sup year./ There was Patriot 2001-Brady Sup.year.— Every year. is interesting n unpredictable in NFL!!!!” Irsay wrote.

Irsay translator: Both of those years began with quarterback injuries.

2. “Stampedblue and Jon Bauges/random or silly tweets,they r not..ur not hearing what I’m saying..riddle n codes r done4a reason,but it’s there.”

Irsay translator: He’s telling some Colts bloggers that his series of downer tweets aren’t just a goof. (He’s also saying that mean Mr. Polian doesn’t like too much information out there.)

3. Florio mentioned this one last night but worth repeating: “Excuse me, sir, I think this will be our finest hour.”

Calling upon Apollo 13 motivation about when things look darkest.

4. A new one from after midnight:

“I’m trying2prepare 12th Man as best I can,BUCK UP..if I’ve told u twice- The only thing the pity pot produces is a red ring around ur ass!” Irsay wrote.

That one is self explanatory. Pity pots now available at all major Indianapolis convenience stores and select locations of Steak ‘n’ Shake.

he just added:

http://twitter.com/#!/JimIrsay
@JimIrsay Jim Irsay
News is just news...what makes it good or bad is what we make of it

Hookem Horns
09-05-2011, 08:48 AM
If this is true then clearly the Jags are the favorite to win the division (according the comments on that page).

Lucky
09-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Some people should have their twitter licenses revoked. Jim Irsay, for instance. If I'm Peyton Manning, I'm wringing Irsay's neck.

Heath Shuler
09-05-2011, 08:57 AM
Some people should have their twitter licenses revoked. Jim Irsay, for instance. If I'm Peyton Manning, I'm wringing Irsay's neck.

Yeah, it seems as if Irsay has really gone off the deep end; either that or he is jerking everyone’s chain.

drs23
09-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Yeah, it seems as if Irsay has really gone off the deep end; either that or he is jerking everyone’s chain.

Looks to me that he's developing the "Buck Fud" syndrome.

BigTimeTexanFan
09-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I just can't see Manning playing this weekend. If he is seeing multiple doctors about slow progress, then obviously he is not close to 110% and still recovering. I can't see how that organization would put him out there with a clear conscious.

DX-TEX
09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm giving them all the props in the world. They, on the other hand, started out talking shit but have calmed down. It was just funny seeing how defensive they are. Wild animals caught in a trap and all.

Saw that. Seriously, over there and at ESPN.com Colts fans are in some serious damn denial. Most of them are still convinced Manning will start week 1. I would be upset if Schaub was going to be out but we have worked with a "solid" backup. But colts fans are taking this to an unhealthy level. lol

I have no pity on them though. The Colts front office put all their eggs into one basket for years and now it is going to bite them in the buttocks. They should have addressed the backup QB position years ago but they didnt. Heck, they could have addressed it a month ago with a quality back up and they didnt. They deserve what they get.

b0ng
09-05-2011, 09:43 AM
If the colts tank hard enough to draft Andrew Luck I'm going to hurt myself.

ObsiWan
09-05-2011, 09:46 AM

...but I'll bet he'll wait until after Irsay signs that big paycheck.
:D

Pantherstang84
09-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Saw that. Seriously, over there and at ESPN.com Colts fans are in some serious damn denial. Most of them are still convinced Manning will start week 1. I would be upset if Schaub was going to be out but we have worked with a "solid" backup. But colts fans are taking this to an unhealthy level. lol

I have no pity on them though. The Colts front office put all their eggs into one basket for years and now it is going to bite them in the buttocks. They should have addressed the backup QB position years ago but they didnt. Heck, they could have addressed it a month ago with a quality back up and they didnt. They deserve what they get.

Maybe I'm in denial. I'll believe Manning will be on the bench when I see it.

gtexan02
09-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Manning listed as doubtful. Arm strength is big problem
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6932377/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-practice-likely-doutbful

prostock101
09-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Way too much negative chatter. I'll be stunned if he makes the first game. He's had pretty much zero practice and just done light throwing. And with just that he's going to lineup and play 4 quarters against a hometeam with a new defense that's going to have their ears pinned back?

Don't think so........:mariopalm:

Rey
09-05-2011, 10:53 AM
How so? The entire premise of the offense runs through Manning. Their defense is horrible and they've done liitle to improve it.

They still have Mathis and freeney.

Kerry Collins has beat us before while throwing to lesser weapons.

I know manning makes everyone on the offense better, but Wayne, addai, Clark, garçon, and some of their back up receivers don't suck.

jaayteetx
09-05-2011, 10:55 AM

Have you forgot about the Bungles?

Speedy
09-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Who freaking cares what people say? It doesn't change the fact the Rockets are 2 time NBA champions. People are idiots. I couldn't give 2 shits what they say if the Texans win the division and Manning doesn't play.

Nobody talks about the Steelers needing an asterisk the year Brady went down, because Brady is 4-1 against the Steelers. F people who say that crap. Injuries are part of the game.

hradhak
09-05-2011, 11:17 AM
My guess is Peyton had some sort of decompressive procedure for nerve entrapment (maybe a laminectomy). The procedure itself isn't such a big deal but the recovery from it can be difficult since the muscle atrophies. The real question is how much he has been able to strengthen it after the procedure. I doubt he's going to be playing Sunday if he hasn't been practicing much. He probably can't make many of the throws he used to make until he builds up strength.

My guess is he'll be back at some point, but not for a few weeks

Showtime100
09-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Who freaking cares what people say? It doesn't change the fact the Rockets are 2 time NBA champions. People are idiots. I couldn't give 2 shits what they say if the Texans win the division and Manning doesn't play.

Nobody talks about the Steelers needing an asterisk the year Brady went down, because Brady is 4-1 against the Steelers. F people who say that crap. Injuries are part of the game.

Good post. You took the words right out of my mouth. :barman:

Playoffs
09-05-2011, 11:27 AM
Colts announced Peyton Manning's back bothering him, he has been consulting with doctors, he and he will cease practicing.
52 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Playoffs
09-05-2011, 11:28 AM
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
With Titans, Collins was 3-2 against Texans, including averaging 28.6 points a game. Titans won 31-17 with Collins last season.

McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Kerry Collins is 3-3 as a starter against Texans. He's 0-7 as a starter against Wade Phillips when he's the DC and 1-8 overall.

ChampionTexan
09-05-2011, 11:39 AM
They still have Mathis and freeney.

Kerry Collins has beat us before while throwing to lesser weapons.

I know manning makes everyone on the offense better, but Wayne, addai, Clark, garçon, and some of their back up receivers don't suck.

The flipside of this is that Collins has had about two weeks to develop any sort of chemistry with those weapons, and learn what is likely the most complex offense he's played in.

As to Mathis and Freeney, their effectiveness is enhanced by having a high powered offense that is very capable of quickly putting the other team in a hole, thereby allowing them to pin their ears back and go hard after the QB. The absence of Manning could very well diminish, if not neutralize, the best part of their defense.

thunderkyss
09-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Truth is, we really don't know.

Now, their coaches are going to have to coach & their leaders are going to have to lead. We'll see what the Colts are made of.

Kerry Collins isn't anybody to fear, but he can get the job done. Saturday & that OL.... that's a veteran group. We'll see if veteran means washed up, or leaders.

Wayne is good. Manning makes him look better, but Wayne is good.
Collie???? Garcon?? we'll find out. Clark?? Good, but how good.

Wk1, we'll see if that defense has got any better against the run. If they improved there, like they should have... that may change everything.

thunderkyss
09-05-2011, 11:50 AM
How so? The entire premise of the offense runs through Manning. Their defense is horrible and they've done liitle to improve it.

Collins' biggest problem, is that he isn't very smart. If the coaches can manage to think for him & get the plays in that he is comfortable with, the sky is the limit with the talent they have on offense.

As far as defense goes, ours was worse than theirs in 2010, but that is not holding back our expectations.

Doppelganger
09-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Have you forgot about the Bungles?

They just drafted Andy Dalton.

I think Luck goes to Buffalo.

Playoffs
09-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Text of the Colts statement:

During the last week, the rate of improvement in Peyton’s rehabilitation process slowed. Over the weekend Peyton experienced soreness in his back. It was originally thought to be a normal reaction to his rehabilitation regimen. When the soreness persisted, the Colts medical team decided to initiate diagnostic tests and to consult with a number of specialists around the country who have been involved in Peyton’s case from the outset. That process continues. As a result of the most recent development the doctors have decided that Peyton will not practice. His participation therefore, in Sunday’s game versus Houston will likely be doubtful. We will update his playing status as required by NFL policy as the week goes on.

At the conclusion of the diagnostic process, if there are any new developments in the prognosis which we outlined for Peyton at the start of training camp we will report them. As of now Peyton continues to deal with a complicated neurological recovery, the end date of which is unpredictable.

As was stated at the outset, it serves no useful purpose to speculate about hypothetical outcomes. When and if there are concrete medical facts to report we will do so.

We appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Trap_Star
09-05-2011, 12:06 PM
http://images.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/9781563.jpg

toronto
09-05-2011, 12:08 PM
The bottom line is that the "one sure thing" in the AFC South isn't sure anymore, and the end result is that the division has never been more up for grabs for you guys. If you can't win it this year, beats me what it will take.

DocBar
09-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Collins' biggest problem, is that he isn't very smart. If the coaches can manage to think for him & get the plays in that he is comfortable with, the sky is the limit with the talent they have on offense.

As far as defense goes, ours was worse than theirs in 2010, but that is not holding back our expectations.

♪Collins beat us with a team that had a much better defense than Indy and a much, much better running game.
The Colts offense isn't built to be run oriented, even though they added a FB. It's pass first and it all goes through the Forehead. I don't see how Collins could grasp enough of the offense to be effective in week 1. Week 5, maybe.
Defensively, they were better than us in the passing. Who wasn't? Our run defense was better than theirs. I'd call that a wash, especially considering the Forhead isn't playing. Besides, I think we did much more to upgrade our teams weaknesses than the Colts did.

Ndevine7
09-05-2011, 12:47 PM

I never said without Manning they are still better than us. Im just saying that even without Manning IMO there are at least 6 teams that are worse than the Colts. Dolphins, Bengals, Panthers, Broncos, Redskins, and Bills

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Manning listed as doubtful. Arm strength is big problem
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6932377/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-practice-likely-doutbful

Manning's triceps strength has plateaued and he doesn't have the arm strength right now, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. Manning also had some back soreness that worsened during the weekend.

Manning and the team are awaiting further evaluations from doctors and neurosurgeons regarding his condition. They will follow NFL protocol and will update his condition later in the week.

The Colts currently have no plans to attempt another surgery on Manning's neck, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"As of now Peyton continues to deal with a complicated neurological recovery, the end date of which is unpredictable," the team said in the statement.

Some old posts of mine which were greeted with an element of skepticism, but seem to be playing out quite accurately.:

5/25/11: Only about 4% of cervical spine injuries in the NFL are suffered by QBs. When a QB expects to be sacked, he usually takes a fetal like position, with his head tucked in. Any trauma, accidental or not, to the top of his head by a defensive player is enough to create a herniation of a cervical disc. Once it occurs once, it becomes more vulnerable to lesser trauma. If one level is treated, it can put more stress on the adjacent disc. It can act as a domino effect. If Manning had his 2nd non-invasive procedure on the same segment, he can probably expect to go on to an open cervical fusion procedure (ala Slaton) sometime in the future........especially if he sustains further trauma to the area.

http://www.heads-upstabilizer.com/usa%20hockey%20picture.jpg

1 week ago: From what has come out of the Colts and Manning himself, Manning evidently has been trying to avoid surgery since 4 years ago when he first started having problems with his neck. He again waited until near the end of May to have his 2nd surgery after trying to rehab his neck himself. He could have opted to have this last surgery right after the 2010 season had ended. The longer you wait to decompress a cervical nerve which is under pressure, the greater the extent of the damage. When taken care of quickly, many times there is instant relief of the preoperatively noted problems. At one point in time though, the damage from chronic pressure can be such that the return of function is extremely slow (up to 2 years) and, unfortunately, sometimes ultimately incomplete. The other thing that needs to be kept in mind is that the "minimally-invasive" surgeries still may not have entirely eliminated the pressure on the nerve, and that he will soon require the more major "open" fusion surgery to do so. Again, if this is the case, the longer he waits, the less predictable the return of function, despite adequate decompression of the nerve. Likewise, if he continues to traumatize the nerve through the decision to return to play, the situation certainly cannot become any lesser.

You can rehab a muscle with concentrated effort. But there is very little that can be done to hasten the rehab of a nerve. And, after all, it is the nerve that gives the muscle the signal to function. Poor nerve function will therefore, always result in poor muscle function.

1 week ago: It has been reported that Manning had a compression of the C7 nerve root level. This nerve root controls the movement and the strength of the finger flexors, and the wrist flexors and the elbow extender. How do you throw a football if your hand can’t grip, your wrist can’t flex and your elbow can’t extend efficiently. You can compensate and throw a football with a bum biceps ala Favre. But you aren’t ever going to look much better than a Pop Warner QB, with a bum triceps.

The recent back issues that Manning has been reported to have developed was predictable. When you have a significant triceps weakness, extending your elbow with any semblance of force is not possible. In order to compensate, a QB will automatically twist his body (back) toward the direction of the weak arm in order to gain additional forward momentum on the ball. Doing so continually places a great deal of undue stress on the back, resulting not only in a player with a weak arm....but now one also with a bad back.

bo orlando
09-05-2011, 12:50 PM

But it's true that history does consider the Rockets titles to be somewhat of footnotes. And if the Texans were to win a Manning-less division (especially with a 9-7, 10-6 type record) then lose in the first round of the playoffs, it would be somewhat tainted. Make it to the Super Bowl and nobody will care.

DocBar
09-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Some old posts of mine which were greeted with an element of skepticism, but seem to be playing out quite accurately.:

5/25/11:

1 week ago:

1 week ago:

The recent back issues that Manning has been reported to have developed was predictable. When you have a significant triceps weakness, extending your elbow with any semblance of force is not possible. In order to compensate, a QB will automatically twist his body (back) toward the direction of the weak arm in order to gain additional forward momentum on the ball. Doing so continually places a great deal of undue stress on the back, resulting not only in a player with a weak arm....but now one also with a bad back.I bet you get tired of being right so often.

dalemurphy
09-05-2011, 01:08 PM
But it's true that history does consider the Rockets titles to be somewhat of footnotes. And if the Texans were to win a Manning-less division (especially with a 9-7, 10-6 type record) then lose in the first round of the playoffs, it would be somewhat tainted. Make it to the Super Bowl and nobody will care.

Here is my reasoned, even-handed answer to this issue:

Does a Peyton Manning injury mitigate the Texans success? HELL NO! (http://www.texansbullblog.com/peyton-manning-injury-taint-texans-forthcoming-success-heck/news/)

thunderkyss
09-05-2011, 01:35 PM
The bottom line is that the "one sure thing" in the AFC South isn't sure anymore, and the end result is that the division has never been more up for grabs for you guys. If you can't win it this year, beats me what it will take.

"you guys" ?

Get on or step off..... you're one of us as far as I'm concerned, regardless what your current living situation might be.

We are taking the South..... you included you canuck !#$!@

gafftop
09-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Seems as though you are already giving the Texans a W against the Colts. If the Texans don't come out ready to play they could easily lose. This team has shown they can do this. This team in the past has gotten the BIg head when they were favorites. How can a team that has never done ANYTHING get the big head. You tell me. I don't really care who plays QB for the Colts the Texans better come with everything they have and be ready to play.

Malloy
09-05-2011, 01:43 PM
The recent back issues that Manning has been reported to have developed was predictable. When you have a significant triceps weakness, extending your elbow with any semblance of force is not possible. In order to compensate, a QB will automatically twist his body (back) toward the direction of the weak arm in order to gain additional forward momentum on the ball. Doing so continually places a great deal of undue stress on the back, resulting not only in a player with a weak arm....but now one also with a bad back.

Curious, are we talking possible end-of-career damage here, or something that would heal over time if left alone?

As much as I love the thought of a Manning-less Colts team, I don't want him to end his career like this.

2slik4u
09-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Yeah that and the fact that he tweets like a 13 year old little girl. Jeez, grow a pair and show your age bro.....(talking about Irsay of course)

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Curious, are we talking possible end-of-career damage here, or something that would heal over time if left alone?

As much as I love the thought of a Manning-less Colts team, I don't want him to end his career like this.

Rule of thumb is when a nerve is compressed, the longer it is allowed to be in that state the greater the damage and longer its return to function. Furthermore, the more likely it is that it will never return to full function. Manning says that he was having problems for at least 4 years before addressing it surgically. If there is no continued physical pressure on the nerve (an I doubt that this is the case), it may take up to 2 years to tell how well the nerves have regenerated and how much muscle strength can be preserved. If there is continued pressure after his 2 surgeries, then not having another surgery (probably an open fusion) is not an option.........and then you must start the 2 year clock all over again to ascertain final result.

So the short answer is that this could be a career threatening injury. Only time will tell.

Rey
09-05-2011, 02:19 PM
"you guys" ?

Get on or step off..... you're one of us as far as I'm concerned, regardless what your current living situation might be.

We are taking the South..... you included you canuck !#$!@

He's a Titan fan.

DX-TEX
09-05-2011, 02:23 PM
http://www.18to88.com/2011-archives/september/manning-likely-headed-for-surgery.html

orts have been flying all around the internet about Peyton Manning's status.

According to multiple 18to88.com sources, the situation is indeed as bad as has been reported.

I have learned the following things:

1. Jim Irsay's tweets were indeed meant to inform fans as to the status of Manning.

2. Manning has no structural damage in his shoulder or arm, but his nerves have been slow to respond. He lacks feeling in his triceps in particular.

3. The pace of Manning's recovery has shocked the Colts. The original reports of a 6-8 week recovery were not lies or evasions. The Colts honestly opened camp expecting Manning to be ready to play, but for reasons no one can fully understand, the nerves have not responded normally. This is a massive surprise. There hasn't been a set back, just a lack of progress. The Colts have not been misleading fans as to Manning's condition; they are as surprised as everyone else is.

4. Another surgery is a likely outcome at this point. I believe (but have not been informed) that when the Colts say that 'no surgery has been planned' they are playing word games. My understanding is that this is headed for surgery, though it hasn't been scheduled definitively.

5. Because this is a neck/nerve issue, there is at least a chance this could be career ending injury. That's obviously a dire result, and no one is necessarily expecting that outcome, but this is every bit as bad as it could be. This is serious.

18to88.com has contacted the Colts for a comment on this story. They are aware of the reports but can neither confirm nor deny the story.

The sources involved in this story are personally known to the 18to88.com staff. They have chosen to speak off the record. Not every detail relayed was confirmed by multiple sources, though no detail was disputed either. All sources confirmed the essential integrity of story that Manning's condition is in fact 'bad'. 18to88.com has followed our editorial standards in the reporting of this story. This information was compiled via a team effort with other members of the 18to88.com staff.

Looks career ending to me.

Texanmike02
Do not do this to me. Please. I don't want to beat a Manningless Indy. I want to take Manning down. This is like rooting for the cross town rival's QB to go down before the game. I don't want that. I lik Manning. I mean I hate him on the field but I like him off the field.

How is it possible that the Colts signed him to a deal this off season without knowing this could be a problem? Didn't they sign him?

Mike

bo orlando
Here is my reasoned, even-handed answer to this issue:

Does a Peyton Manning injury mitigate the Texans success? HELL NO! (http://www.texansbullblog.com/peyton-manning-injury-taint-texans-forthcoming-success-heck/news/)

the seahawks winning the nfc west last year was so tainted that the team decided to pretty much blow up the roster in the offseason.

i'm with you, i'll take a division title anyway i can get it, but a 9-7 or even 10-6 division title when the colts (and maybe the jags and titans too) are terrible would have a lot less shine than if we went 13-3 and beat manning twice. either way, a playoff run would make all this moot.

jaayteetx
09-05-2011, 02:25 PM
He's a Titan fan.

poor guy, where are his friends? friends don't let friends strive to be in a blue funk.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2011, 02:30 PM
I bet you get tired of being right so often.

Thank you for your kind implication. Experience makes it a little easier.

Way back when, I think this was the hooker for me. His surgery was around 5/23/11.

3 weeks post surgery 6/12/11:

From today's Indianapolis Star (http://www.indystar.com/article/20110612/SPORTS03/106120362/Locked-out-players-keeping-busy):

Quarterback Peyton Manning hasn't thrown since undergoing surgery to repair a disk-related issue in his neck May23, but he was at Morton's, where he was excused from carrying a tray, and at the softball game, where he didn't take a spot in the lineup.

Curtis Painter, his backup, is healthy and throwing, and on Thursday, was golfing.

Not carrying a restaurant tray?......or participating in a softball game? Following the procedure he underwent, these activities, especially the 1st, would normally be "on the menu" within a few days following the surgery.
Being extra careful? Not a reasonable explanation.

6 weeks post surgery 7/08/11:

Excuse me if I seem to have remained so skeptical about situation and progression of events. But his lack of having his "personal therapist" is not why his rehab schedule is so slow. It is because the significance of his injury(ies) have been minimized.

Peyton Manning has “no idea” when he’ll be ready to go (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/08/peyton-manning-has-no-idea-when-hell-be-ready-to-go/)

Colts quarterback Peyton Manning is at the annual Manning Passing Academy, but he’s not doing any passing. Manning said he’s not ready to throw, has “no idea” when he will be, and is concerned about his recovery from May neck surgery. And Manning blames the lockout for his inability to work with the physical therapist he most trusts.

“The lockout didn’t allow me to work my [Colts] therapist, Erin Barill, and I’m just not comfortable taking any chances with this thing,” Manning told ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. “Erin knows me. He’s rehabbed me through two other surgeries [neck and knee] and I think most people understand that once you build up a trust with your therapist, that’s the guy you want and need to work with.”

So as long as the lockout is going on, Manning won’t be able to say whether he’s healthy enough to play. We have a feeling that when the lockout ends and Manning is negotiating a new contract with the Colts, he’ll be saying he expects to be at full strength for years to come.

Norg
09-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Wouldnt that be something if Indy managed to beat Us wk1 without Manning

that would be a hell of a way to start off the season : P

Norg
09-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Seems as though you are already giving the Texans a W against the Colts. If the Texans don't come out ready to play they could easily lose. This team has shown they can do this. This team in the past has gotten the BIg head when they were favorites. How can a team that has never done ANYTHING get the big head. You tell me. I don't really care who plays QB for the Colts the Texans better come with everything they have and be ready to play.

True for thoes going to the game wear your white be in yo seat early and GET LOUD !!!!!!!!!!!!

wish it was like this in terms of crowd LOL but ya know LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r1TprtXguU

thunderkyss
09-05-2011, 02:52 PM
He's a Titan fan.

Really? He's been here forever.

I think he's a closet fan, waiting for us to win........ then he'll switch.

fiasco west
09-05-2011, 03:35 PM
http://www.18to88.com/2011-archives/september/manning-likely-headed-for-surgery.html

Looks career ending to me.

Pretty much. I did want the Texans to beat Manning with him there, smack him around and have the torch passed to the new division kings the right way.

I'll take this though. I really can't see Manning being the same after this injury, Kinda reminds me of the Yao injury where there was a TON of uncertainty surrounding it.

The Texans need to win week one now, if they don't it will be a massive failure with the teams ahead of them. I would say they need to win the division but I like to take things week by week, and Colts week 1 game the Texans should come out and dominate.

Joe Texan
09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
I cannot believe the mods are so blind they cannot see this belongs in the NFL forum. I could care less what Peyton Manning does live or die. This isa Texan Forum so come on Mods keep it that way

DocBar
09-05-2011, 03:53 PM
I cannot believe the mods are so blind they cannot see this belongs in the NFL forum. I could care less what Peyton Manning does live or die. This isa Texan Forum so come on Mods keep it that waySince we're playing them this week, they might let it stay. They very well could combine it with the one that exists in the NFL forum.idonno:

Lucky
09-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Since we're playing them this week, they might let it stay.
That's basically it. It's impossible to discuss the next game without mentioning Manning's status. Otherwise JoeTexan would be correct. Special circumstances.

Trap_Star
09-05-2011, 05:28 PM
let the superbowl expectations begin! (http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/05/11/bMaiocco-b-2011-Super-Bowl-MVP-predictio/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=559526&feedID=2539&awid=4636724418973036876-766)

:stirpot:

Texas T
09-05-2011, 05:34 PM
let the superbowl expectations begin! (http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/05/11/bMaiocco-b-2011-Super-Bowl-MVP-predictio/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=559526&feedID=2539&awid=4636724418973036876-766)

:stirpot:

That was....interesting....not sure if I'm buying all that but...What the Hell I'll gulp down the Kool-Aid.:koolaid:

Texans to the Superbowl!! You heard it here folks!!:fans:

prostock101
09-05-2011, 05:42 PM
That's basically it. It's impossible to discuss the next game without mentioning Manning's status. Otherwise JoeTexan would be correct. Special circumstances.

I started the thread and I just assumed it was placed correctly seeing that the Collins signing was here also and the Colts were first up on the schedule.

As an admin on another forum (www.caimag.com) I try to keep things located in the right category, especially for search purposes, and keep the slap fighting to a minimum.

forcefollow
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
I am not the type of person that cheers when someone from an opposing team gets hurt. Over the years I have paid attention to Peyton Manning simply because he is the best QB in the league. After reading several stories about his situation I am becoming more convinced that his career is near its end. Other players with similar injuries usually haven't lasted long. Even if he does play this season he is one blind side hit away from retirement.

This would mark a huge shift in the division and would create and an opening for the Texans.

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2011, 06:11 PM
We've already got a thread or two about this and none of them should be in the Texans area. This is an NFL topic.

Not that I disagree with your point.

toronto
09-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Really? He's been here forever.

I think he's a closet fan, waiting for us to win........ then he'll switch.

Really. A Titan fan. And I haven't committed suicide yet. My kids need me. :)

Speedy
09-05-2011, 06:27 PM

What history are you looking at? I look up lists of NBA champions and I see Houston Rockets 2 years in a row in the mid 90's. No asterisk no nothing. Just that they were champions those years just like everyone else on that list. No asterisk for the Spurs in '99 in a shortened season. And as I said, there's no asterisk for the Steelers not having to play Brady in '08, and I could probably go on and on. Injuries are part of the game. All you can do is play the schedule you were given and win those games.

And BTW, the Texans wouldn't be winning a Manning-less division. The Texans do have a Manning of their own now.

Norg
09-05-2011, 06:28 PM
I started the thread and I just assumed it was placed correctly seeing that the Collins signing was here also and the Colts were first up on the schedule.

As an admin on another forum (www.caimag.com) I try to keep things located in the right category, especially for search purposes, and keep the slap fighting to a minimum.

So your anti Fun :gamer: and strictly business ???

EllisUnit
09-05-2011, 06:30 PM
THIS SUCKS. There will be 0 ok well not 0 but A LOT less satisfaction beating the colts without Manning. Remember how he was pouting on the sidelines last season as we were stomping their ass. I was looking forward to that again.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WCdH1a8Z2Kc/TJBF0xWbZGI/AAAAAAAAANM/A4c27lhVNus/s1600/peyton-mad-colts.jpg

prostock101
09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
So your anti Fun :gamer: and strictly business ???

Heck no, I'm probably the biggest cutup of the bunch. Not much roughhousing goes on and only banned two members in two years. It's a great group.

DocBar
09-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I never said without Manning they are still better than us. Im just saying that even without Manning IMO there are at least 6 teams that are worse than the Colts. Dolphins, Bengals, Panthers, Broncos, Redskins, and BillsWith the Colt's schedule, it's hard to say. They could easily be a 3-13 team.

DocBar
09-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Heck no, I'm probably the biggest cutup of the bunch. Not much roughhousing goes on and only banned two members in two years. It's a great group.You should visit the unofficial colts board. There are lots of internet tough guys there.

fiasco west
09-05-2011, 07:46 PM
The Colts forum is good for a good laugh. I'd never post there though because they aren't interested in hearing anything negative about their Colts.

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2011, 08:10 PM
For anyone interested, this is an animated video of the type of previous minimally-invasive Manning underwent that is simple and easy to understand.

VIDEO (http://www.spineandscoliosis.com/subject.php?pn=animate-cervicalmed)

ObsiWan
09-05-2011, 08:31 PM
For anyone interested, this is an animated video of the type of previous minimally-invasive Manning underwent that is simple and easy to understand.

Thanks! Neat video. Not a gruesome as I feared it would be.

Marcus
09-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Thanks for the info, Cloak. I still have nerve issues (pins and needles) from the foot reconstructive surgery 2 years ago. Don't know if will ever clear up, but all things considered, I'm not complaining. :)

CloakNNNdagger
09-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the info, Cloak. I still have nerve issues (pins and needles) from the foot reconstructive surgery 2 years ago. Don't know if will ever clear up, but all things considered, I'm not complaining.
:)

If that's all residual you have after your lis franc, that's good news. Even though 2 years is the typical cutoff stated for nerve regeneration, I've seen return continue for as long as 3 years.

Corrosion
09-05-2011, 10:37 PM
THIS SUCKS. There will be 0 ok well not 0 but A LOT less satisfaction beating the colts without Manning. Remember how he was pouting on the sidelines last season as we were stomping their ass. I was looking forward to that again.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_WCdH1a8Z2Kc/TJBF0xWbZGI/AAAAAAAAANM/A4c27lhVNus/s1600/peyton-mad-colts.jpg

The satisfaction comes from the fact that after over a decade of good fortune , that franchise is getting a taste of the bad ....

I dont want to see Peyton injured .... but I want to see the Dolts and their fans suffer the same frustrations we have over the last decade.

Playoffs
09-05-2011, 10:42 PM

Must spread rep.

Thanks for that video.

Malloy
09-06-2011, 02:27 AM
Rule of thumb is when a nerve is compressed, the longer it is allowed to be in that state the greater the damage and longer its return to function. Furthermore, the more likely it is that it will never return to full function. Manning says that he was having problems for at least 4 years before addressing it surgically. If there is no continued physical pressure on the nerve (an I doubt that this is the case), it may take up to 2 years to tell how well the nerves have regenerated and how much muscle strength can be preserved. If there is continued pressure after his 2 surgeries, then not having another surgery (probably an open fusion) is not an option.........and then you must start the 2 year clock all over again to ascertain final result.

So the short answer is that this could be a career threatening injury. Only time will tell.

Thank you, this wat the feeling I was getting too. Time will tell :)

CloakNNNdagger
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Polian says Peyton will be back “at some point” (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/06/polian-says-peyton-will-be-back-at-some-point/)

With the storm clouds gathering in Indianapolis and some fearing that quarterback Peyton Manning won’t play at all this year and may never play again, Colts vice chairman Bill Polian sees the glass as being 10-percent full.

“He is going to be back at some point,” Polian told WISH-TV on Monday, while conceding that Manning won’t play in Week One at Houston. “What we don’t know right now is what the results of the diagnostic tests are, what is the prognosis going forward. This is uncharted territory, but we do know that the nerve regeneration takes time and it just hasn’t healed yet. It will.”

But how do we know it will? No one knows it will.

The problem is that it’s nothing anyone can will to happen. The fact that Peyton practiced last week and isn’t practicing this week suggests that Peyton may have pushed too hard to try to get back for Week One.

“It’s frustrating for Peyton, certainly it’s a bit frustrating for us, but we recognized that the most important thing is that he heals up and he gets ready to go,” Polian said. “It’s no sense having him out there in an impaired condition, so the bottom line is he’ll be back at some point. We don’t know when. We can’t predict when. But whenever it is, it will be good to have him back. In the meantime, Kerry [Collins] will hold the fort, and we’ll go from here.”

How they’ll go remains to be seen. But few expect any of this to go well.

Double Barrel
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
What history are you looking at? I look up lists of NBA champions and I see Houston Rockets 2 years in a row in the mid 90's. No asterisk no nothing. Just that they were champions those years just like everyone else on that list. No asterisk for the Spurs in '99 in a shortened season. And as I said, there's no asterisk for the Steelers not having to play Brady in '08, and I could probably go on and on. Injuries are part of the game. All you can do is play the schedule you were given and win those games.

And BTW, the Texans wouldn't be winning a Manning-less division. The Texans do have a Manning of their own now.

Jordan was in the league for the 2nd Rockets championship, iirc.

I agree with your rant, too. I hate the asterisks comments. Are ALL the championships since Jordan's retirement noted with asterisks, too? Will ALL NBA champions be asterisked because Jordan no longer plays?

It's a goofy argument, at best, and downright stupid at worst. It's disingenuous and takes away something that means the world to this city. And besides, it's a specious debate because nobody knows if the Bulls could have stopped Olajuwan during those two seasons.

----------------------

As far as Manning, it's a damn shame. I really thought he's be like Favre, kicking and screaming until the game clearly showed that his better days were behind him. But, that's football, and it spares nobody, even the greats.

Scoreboard is all that matters, and we need a win. I do not diminish that win if it's against Manning or against Collins. Nobody has cried for us all these years, so why should I cry for any other team?

Seńor Stan
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Jordan was in the league for the 2nd Rockets championship, iirc.

I agree with your rant, too. I hate the asterisks comments. Are ALL the championships since Jordan's retirement noted with asterisks, too? Will ALL NBA champions be asterisked because Jordan no longer plays?

It's a goofy argument, at best, and downright stupid at worst. It's disingenuous and takes away something that means the world to this city. And besides, it's a specious debate because nobody knows if the Bulls could have stopped Olajuwan during those two seasons.

----------------------

As far as Manning, it's a damn shame. I really thought he's be like Favre, kicking and screaming until the game clearly showed that his better days were behind him. But, that's football, and it spares nobody, even the greats.

Scoreboard is all that matters, and we need a win. I do not diminish that win if it's against Manning or against Collins. Nobody has cried for us all these years, so why should I cry for any other team?

100% this. ^^^^

Last I checked they were the Indianapolis Colts not the Indianapolis Peyton Mannings. Not getting "credit" for the win is in the same class of loser talk as "moral victories."

Do you think the Patriots or Steelers worry about whether or not their opponent is down a player?

Double Barrel
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
100% this. ^^^^

Last I checked they were the Indianapolis Colts not the Indianapolis Peyton Mannings. Not getting "credit" for the win is in the same class of loser talk as "moral victories."

Do you think the Patriots or Steelers worry about whether or not their opponent is down a player?

I do not mean this disrespectful, but I honestly think the Texans fanbase suffers from an inferiority complex.

Like you said, do the Steelers or Patriots fans asterisk their own teams if they beat someone that has key players on the PUP list? NO! Matter-of-fact, they exploit those weaknesses in order to dominate their opponents. And their fans feel absolutely no guilt about it.

I don't care about "measuring up". All I care about is wins, wins, and more wins, enough to win a division title and a ticket to the playoffs.

Nothing. Else. Matters.

infantrycak
09-06-2011, 02:51 PM
I do not mean this disrespectful, but I honestly think the Texans fanbase suffers from an inferiority complex.

Ya think?

Honestly, nothing displays it more than the pissing and moaning about the Cowboys.

NitroGSXR
09-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Ya think?

Honestly, nothing displays it more than the pissing and moaning about the Cowboys.

Puck the cowpies.

I think its perfectly acceptable to have a specific team that one dislikes more than the others. Why does it bother you and DB (and others) so much? Its just a harmless intra-state rivalry, isn't it?

infantrycak
09-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Puck the cowpies.

I think its perfectly acceptable to have a specific team that one dislikes more than the others. Why does it bother you and DB (and others) so much? Its just a harmless intra-state rivalry, isn't it?

First off, it doesn't bother me at all - just an observation. But, I think it displays exactly what DB is talking about. The great majority of Cowboys fans I know of supported the Oilers and now the Texans as long as they weren't playing the Cowboys. Texas teams over everyone unless it is between the Texas teams. Houston fans have the opposite attitude. They support the Texans and then any team playing against the Cowboys. It is a very stark difference and I see no explanation for it other than inferiority complex.

NitroGSXR
09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
First off, it doesn't bother me at all - just an observation. But, I think it displays exactly what DB is talking about. The great majority of Cowboys fans I know of supported the Oilers and now the Texans as long as they weren't playing the Cowboys. Texas teams over everyone unless it is between the Texas teams. Houston fans have the opposite attitude. They support the Texans and then any team playing against the Cowboys. It is a very stark difference and I see no explanation for it other than inferiority complex.

It started for me with the highly publicized Governor's cup. That was our Super Bowl back then. Pretty simple explaination. No inferiority complex here.

disaacks3
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
I bet you get tired of being right so often.

Not in my experience! :hides:

Double Barrel
09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Puck the cowpies.

I'm not sure why you are lumping me in there...I've always hated the Cowboys. I was raised in Cowboy-hatin' household as an Oilers fan.

My initial point was regarding Texans fans wanting to "measure up" against Manning and not just being happy to win over any opponent regardless who is playing and not playing.

But, back to the Cowboys, I do understand that most Cowboys-hate from Houston fans is due to a variety of factors, including, but not limited to, jealousy (the Oilers always came up short) and/or obnoxious Cowboys fans who could not win without gloating about it.

And I'm okay with that, to be honest. Now it's a habit to dislike the Cowboys. I honestly tried to be a fan of theirs awhile back, but I felt dirty and had to scrub my brain at the mere thought.

These days I don't hate the Cowboys so much. My hatred for the Titans and Bud Adams eclipses any hate for the Cowboys, sort of like a supernova compared to a candle. I want the Titans to go 0-16 year after year and eventually move to Los Angeles. Yeah, that's hate, and it has nothing to do with jealousy or obnoxious Titans fans.

FirstTexansFan
09-06-2011, 05:03 PM

You really need to get out of the house more. I've dealt with asshat Sowboys fans for years, and find the vast majority of them to be pompous pr*cks that do nothing but gloat and revel in our misery, be it the old Oilers, or our new Texans. Of course, I suspect you don't keep company with the typical Sowboys fan... they wouldn't possess your intelligence :) Of course, this could be my insecurity complex talking :mariopalm:

Showtime100
09-06-2011, 05:20 PM

If the world were like your post, it isn't, nor is it in terms of Cowboy fans I can tell you, but if it were, then you should ask yourself which side you think is the more logical from a sports perspective. Houston fans are like everybody else in the country.

Giants-Jets, Eagles-Steelers, Bear-Packers (state line notwithstanding), Niners-Raiders, Bucs-Dolphins (I assume), all of these have it right in my book, they hate each other. It has nothing to do with this BS state loyalty I keep hearing about, that's a crock. Nor does it have anything to do with jealousy (Cowboy fans) or potty training (those of you that think this is some sort of fault). It's actually completely natural.

Since I was old enough to be a sports fan, we'll call it 40 years, I have despised other teams in the state, only pulling for them in certain playoff scenarios or special circumstances such as some college football games and who they are playing. Virtually all of the people I have ever known feel the same way. Those that lie and say they don't show their true colors when it's 19-10 with no time left. That's where you see the lie.

I'm an ___A___ fan, therefore I especially dislike ___B____.

A. Astros....B. Rangers
A. Texans....B. Cowboys
A. Rockets....B. Spurs, Mavericks
A. Stars.....B. (don't care, it's just Dallas)

Inferiority complex, please. I can tell you that is not the case here. Talk about a tired argument. It's actually possible to simply dislike another team for a host of other reasons.

TheMatrix31
09-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't live in Texas and never have, but I hated the Cowboys even before the Texans were an expansion team so that's where my hatred comes from, not necessarily something involving regions.

NitroGSXR
09-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure why you are lumping me in there...I've always hated the Cowboys. I was raised in Cowboy-hatin' household as an Oilers fan.

My initial point was regarding Texans fans wanting to "measure up" against Manning and not just being happy to win over any opponent regardless who is playing and not playing.

But, back to the Cowboys, I do understand that most Cowboys-hate from Houston fans is due to a variety of factors, including, but not limited to, jealousy (the Oilers always came up short) and/or obnoxious Cowboys fans who could not win without gloating about it.

And I'm okay with that, to be honest. Now it's a habit to dislike the Cowboys. I honestly tried to be a fan of theirs awhile back, but I felt dirty and had to scrub my brain at the mere thought.

These days I don't hate the Cowboys so much. My hatred for the Titans and Bud Adams eclipses any hate for the Cowboys, sort of like a supernova compared to a candle. I want the Titans to go 0-16 year after year and eventually move to Los Angeles. Yeah, that's hate, and it has nothing to do with jealousy or obnoxious Titans fans.

Sorry. I was rolling with the inferority complex statement itself. Merely a statement on my end that got muddled with intense "feelings" for the Cowburgers. You understand...

:)

Puck the cowdogs.

thunderkyss
09-06-2011, 08:44 PM

meh...... why lie??

DBCooper
09-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Texans vs Cowboys Superbowl!!!!!

GP
09-07-2011, 12:15 AM
If the world were like your post, it isn't, nor is it in terms of Cowboy fans I can tell you, but if it were, then you should ask yourself which side you think is the more logical from a sports perspective. Houston fans are like everybody else in the country.

Giants-Jets, Eagles-Steelers, Bear-Packers (state line notwithstanding), Niners-Raiders, Bucs-Dolphins (I assume), all of these have it right in my book, they hate each other. It has nothing to do with this BS state loyalty I keep hearing about, that's a crock. Nor does it have anything to do with jealousy (Cowboy fans) or potty training (those of you that think this is some sort of fault). It's actually completely natural.

Since I was old enough to be a sports fan, we'll call it 40 years, I have despised other teams in the state, only pulling for them in certain playoff scenarios or special circumstances such as some college football games and who they are playing. Virtually all of the people I have ever known feel the same way. Those that lie and say they don't show their true colors when it's 19-10 with no time left. That's where you see the lie.

A. Astros....B. Rangers
A. Texans....B. Cowboys

Inferiority complex, please. I can tell you that is not the case here. Talk about a tired argument. It's actually possible to simply dislike another team for a host of other reasons.

I root against the Dallas teams because where I'm from--first 18 years in Lubbock, the next 17 in Amarillo--both these cities play non-stop Dallas Cowboys this and Dallas Mavericks that and Texas Rangers to top it all off.

It's a Bermuda Triangle of Douche up here with the way we have Boys-Rangers-Mavs on the radio on the TV non-stop 24/7.

The way it's handled up here in the Texas Panhandle, we're led to believe (via heavily-tilted "Dallas teams" coverage) that the Cowboys-Mavericks-Rangers are the ONLY Texas teams in the great state of Texas for us to follow every year. I don't know why there's this huge stiffy for Dallas teams up here, but it irked me as a young'un watching my dad root for all three Dallas pro teams...so I picked the Oilers because I didn't like the pre-conceived and very contrived "set up" that I've just GOT to be a Cowboys/Mavericks/Rangers fan. I never openly mocked my dad or anything, just went my own way and chose my own teams to follow--Since I liked the Oilers, I went with Astros and Rockets to complete the trifecta.

All those years growing up, and now as a 35-yr-old man, I've become grumpy toward those teams. Not hating, just grumpy. Outside of the Landry-era Cowboys SB wins, a few Jimmy Johnson-era SB wins (thanks to the massive Vikings trade, btw) and spotty recent Rangers and Mavs victories...I don't see why those teams are pushed so hard in my area. Just irks me.

If the Rangers are in the playoffs, I root for them. If the Mavs are in the playoffs, I root for them. I have a hard time rooting for the Cowboys in the playoffs, to be honest, but I think that's because I feel like they've won their fair share of SBs and can suck for awhile. LOL.

But when those Dallas teams are JAT (Just Another Team) throughout the year...I could care less about them. Not an all-out hatred of them, just an indifference to them.

That's my take on it. My only guilty pleasure, I admit, is that I absolutely LOVE to watch the COwboys get drubbed by their NFC divisional rivals. There's nothing like watching the Redskins pound the Cowboys. It's quite therapeutic.

srrono
09-07-2011, 11:29 AM
SportsCenter SportsCenter
Breaking News: #Colts vice chairman Bill Polian says Peyton Manning will not play in Sun opener at #Texans http://twitgoo.com/4hv6ut

jaayteetx
09-07-2011, 11:31 AM
In best Gomer Pyle voice..."surprise, surprise!"

gwallaia
09-07-2011, 11:43 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6939814/peyton-manning-indianapolis-colts-opener-sunday-bill-polian-says

hellbentforfootball
09-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Like.

brakos82
09-07-2011, 11:52 AM
clolts

Nawzer
09-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Cool. Here's a link to the NFL Network stream for anyone who wants to watch NFL Network 24/7:

http://www.firstrowsports.net/watch/49037/1/watch-nfl-network.html

Jim Caldwell has that look on his face right now that says, "Oh shit, I actually have to be a head coach now!"

El Tejano
09-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Man, we better win that game.

dream_team
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Still can't take this game lightly. Remember, Texans are famous for making backup QBs look like pro bowlers.

On the flip side, I'm starting the Texans defense in my fantasy league. Haha. If Collins starts, I predict at least 4 sacks.

Mr. Texan
09-07-2011, 12:07 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/28s58c5.gif

hobie
09-07-2011, 12:15 PM
WHAT??? THIS IS A JOKE, RIGHT.....................

Like this wasn't already known a few days ago...

XI CMURDER IX
09-07-2011, 12:33 PM
How come no ESPN analysts are hounding him about fantasy football?

Yankee_In_TX
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k478/daniel78753/1298700790661.gif

wtf is that, lol????????

Section516
09-07-2011, 12:49 PM
wtf is that, lol????????

Don't know, but why can't i stop watching it?

Yankee_In_TX
09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Don't know, but why can't i stop watching it?

right?

Thorn
09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
wtf is that, lol????????

It's a young female human without a lot of clothes on. Why?

eriadoc
09-07-2011, 12:54 PM
I wonder how many sacks Freeney and Mathis have against the Texans, relative to how many sacks any other duo has against their favorite whipping boys.

Vinnie
09-07-2011, 12:54 PM
wtf is that, lol????????

Guessing she spent a little time at the swim up bar in the background. :beerfunnel:

JamesBill
09-07-2011, 01:06 PM
wtf is that, lol????????

I believe it is called a bidet.

El Tejano
09-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I wonder how many sacks Freeney and Mathis have against the Texans, relative to how many sacks any other duo has against their favorite whipping boys.

This is the part that scares me about this game. If Freeney is able to pull his annual "get all my sacks vs. The Texans" then he could change the face of the game.

Hervoyel
09-07-2011, 01:23 PM
This is the part that scares me about this game. If Freeney is able to pull his annual "get all my sacks vs. The Texans" then he could change the face of the game.

Can't get a pile of sacks if you spend all day trying to catch Foster, Ward, and Tate.

JamesBill
09-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Can't get a pile of sacks if you spend all day trying to catch Foster, Ward, and Tate.

Agreed.

Plus if this offense can just get off it's butt and score some points in the 1st half we will be OK.

We scored early and often on the Colts in Week 1 last year before we just started running it every freaking down. The drive where we ran 10/11 plays was in the 3rd quarter. We were 50/50 or even a little more pass heavy before that if I remember correctly.

HOU-TEX
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Agreed.

Plus if this offense can just get off it's butt and score some points in the 1st half we will be OK.

We scored early and often on the Colts in Week 1 last year before we just started running it every freaking down. The drive where we ran 10/11 plays was in the 3rd quarter. We were 50/50 or even a little more pass heavy before that if I remember correctly.

I'd love to be able to get a big lead and keep it. However, I'm still a bit gun shy forcing a team into passing mode until our D can prove they can get off the field in those situations.

prostock101
09-07-2011, 01:36 PM
I think one thing that makes the Colts unique is just the way Manning runs the offense. For most teams, the backup is pretty much onboard to take over the offense and run it pretty much the way it is designed. Maybe not as well but as close as most backups get. Casel was probably the one that nailed it the best in recent memory.

But for the Colts/Manning offense I dont' think any backup can just walk on the field and do what he does. Collins? Painter? It just ain't happenin'. With that being said, the Texans cannot just expect a win. This team is a "winning" team and they have won for a long time. Just because Manning isnt' there doesn't mean these guy dont' know how to win. They absolutely do and our guys should expect a real battle.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2011, 01:44 PM

Right on point. Besides, neither of them are good against the run. And if that isn't enough, you might remember that Mathis had to leave the Green Bay game early in the 1st quarter.............with a hamstring........:kitten:

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2011, 01:51 PM
No matter what you think of Manning, there has to be a certain amount of respect given him, as he has in this difficult time has come to show some class and humility.

Indianapolis Star reports. "I simply am not healthy enough to play, and I am doing everything I can to get my health back," Manning said Wednesday. "The team will do fine without me, and I know for sure that I will miss them much more than they will miss me."

Yankee_In_TX
09-07-2011, 01:51 PM
http://i327.photobucket.com/albums/k478/daniel78753/1298700790661.gif

Getting back on topic....

Malloy
09-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Guessing she spent a little time at the swim up bar in the background. :beerfunnel:

I would say 'alot of time' :)

Showtime100
09-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Man, we better win that game.

My first thought. Actually, my only thought. The way I see it if Houston blows this it's just another important game for the wall of dishonor.

Getting back on topic....

:spit:

Trap_Star
09-07-2011, 02:04 PM
wtf is that, lol????????

public bidet.

ObsiWan
09-07-2011, 02:28 PM
I believe it is called a bidet.
That's correct. But I must confess that I'd never heard of one being outside before.

...I'm sorry. What were we talking about again?
oh yeah, football.
:D

We need to win no matter who's at QB. Who Indy sends out there is their problem. Our focus should be to win.
Period.

Texas T
09-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Still can't take this game lightly. Remember, Texans are famous for making backup QBs look like pro bowlers.

On the flip side, I'm starting the Texans defense in my fantasy league. Haha. If Collins starts, I predict at least 4 sacks.

Tebow anyone??

80tothezone
09-07-2011, 02:35 PM
If we do win I hope we get a little poetic justice and Indy comes up one game short from the playoffs

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Malloy
09-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Tebow anyone??

Shut up, you're ruining my day! :)

drs23
09-07-2011, 03:31 PM
Breaking news being reported on the Colts site saying Manning has had 3rd procedure and is out for the year. (Whoever Jake Query is)

Don't know if it's the real deal or not yet, just what's being tweeted about...

Link (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49699)

HOU-TEX
09-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Breaking news being reported on the Colts site saying Manning has had 3rd procedure and is out for the year. (Whoever Jake Query is)

Don't know if it's the real deal or not yet, just what's being tweeted about...

Link (http://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49699)

I've seen this too, but am very skeptical of the source.

I hope for the best for Manning. He might be our biggest speed bump, but a back/neck/nerve injury ain't something to jack with and hope he's able to get through it without complications

RazorOye
09-07-2011, 03:43 PM
from Jay Glazer's Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/jay_glazer):

RT @alexmarvez: RT @injuryexpert: Indy radio host @jakequery reporting Manning had another procedure on Sunday. Out for season. We'll see.

The Indy radio host from WNDE says he has two sources verifying this, prompting Glazer's tweet above.

mods: I searched this forum - but neglected to see that this was already mentioned in the Peyton thread on the NFL boards. I saw Manning threads here on the TT forum so I didn't check the other first. Please merge/delete as nececssary

apologies

Showtime100
09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
I root against the Dallas teams because where I'm from--first 18 years in Lubbock, the next 17 in Amarillo--both these cities play non-stop Dallas Cowboys this and Dallas Mavericks that and Texas Rangers to top it all off.

It's a Bermuda Triangle of Douche up here with the way we have Boys-Rangers-Mavs on the radio on the TV non-stop 24/7.

The way it's handled up here in the Texas Panhandle, we're led to believe (via heavily-tilted "Dallas teams" coverage) that the Cowboys-Mavericks-Rangers are the ONLY Texas teams in the great state of Texas for us to follow every year. I don't know why there's this huge stiffy for Dallas teams up here, but it irked me as a young'un watching my dad root for all three Dallas pro teams...so I picked the Oilers because I didn't like the pre-conceived and very contrived "set up" that I've just GOT to be a Cowboys/Mavericks/Rangers fan. I never openly mocked my dad or anything, just went my own way and chose my own teams to follow--Since I liked the Oilers, I went with Astros and Rockets to complete the trifecta.

All those years growing up, and now as a 35-yr-old man, I've become grumpy toward those teams. Not hating, just grumpy. Outside of the Landry-era Cowboys SB wins, a few Jimmy Johnson-era SB wins (thanks to the massive Vikings trade, btw) and spotty recent Rangers and Mavs victories...I don't see why those teams are pushed so hard in my area. Just irks me.

If the Rangers are in the playoffs, I root for them. If the Mavs are in the playoffs, I root for them. I have a hard time rooting for the Cowboys in the playoffs, to be honest, but I think that's because I feel like they've won their fair share of SBs and can suck for awhile. LOL.

But when those Dallas teams are JAT (Just Another Team) throughout the year...I could care less about them. Not an all-out hatred of them, just an indifference to them.

That's my take on it. My only guilty pleasure, I admit, is that I absolutely LOVE to watch the COwboys get drubbed by their NFC divisional rivals. There's nothing like watching the Redskins pound the Cowboys. It's quite therapeutic.

I lived there for about six months (Washington St) and agree. It's like Houston isn't Texas. I remember wearing Houston jerseys and warmups, all kinds of paraphalia and getting strange looks from most folks. The peeps in Amarillo might not have liked Houston but they were far easier on me - and to talk sports with - than if you are in Austin. Cowboy fans here suck and I'm really hoping to shove it down their throats after a couple of good seasons.

I found Amarilloans (?) to know more about the pro game than Austin fans. In Austin it's all about the college game, they will never grow out of it. Maybe it was just my experience, dunno.

I remember having hell finding work and I was frustrated. A guy said, "You don't tell them you are from Austin, do you?" I said yes, my references were there. He told me that was my problem "because they know you won't stay here." No offense, but they were right. (Damned ex-wife wanting to be with her family)

El Tejano
09-07-2011, 03:47 PM
No this can't be. We need him healthy. The last thing I want is a an asterisk on our season. I wont mind it but I wont like it.

Showtime100
09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
No this can't be. We need him healthy. The last thing I want is a an asterisk on our season. I wont mind it but I wont like it.

There won't be an asterisk no matter what happens with Peyton. :fans:

Wolf
09-07-2011, 03:52 PM
andrew luck here they come :kitten:

Dutchrudder
09-07-2011, 03:53 PM
As long as it's not our Manning, I'm not displeased. Peyton was bound to have some bad luck after 10 years of awesome.

Trap_Star
09-07-2011, 03:54 PM

why do people say there would be an asterisk? that's f'n weak sauce. manning or not the goal is always the same. they've never put a an asterisk on any of their division titles cause they play in the division with the weak ass titans, texans, and jaguars.

Dutchrudder
09-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Is this the thread where we post distracting gifs?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/14.gif

Section516
ESPN's Adam Schefter: "One Colts official texted me this: 'We are aware of the rumors, but can't confirm rumors. That is all they are.'"

Schefter's comment; #Colts didn't deny rumor either, and my consequence history says these types of rumor are eventually confirmed

El Tejano
why do people say there would be an asterisk? that's f'n weak sauce. manning or not the goal is always the same. they've never put a an asterisk on any of their division titles cause they play in the division with the weak ass titans, texans, and jaguars.

Because we are a Houston team and that's the way it works with the media. Hey I said I wouldn't mind. I just know that's the way it's gonna be.

Ole Miss Texan
09-07-2011, 04:12 PM
andrew luck here they come :kitten:
The Colts WOULD be that lucky. Draft Peyton #1 and get a decade + of domination. Then draft Luck #1 and get another decade + of domination.

Crazy to think they just signed Peyton to that huge contract. I really hope the Colts to mildly well this season and have no shot at Andrew Luck.

Kimmy
09-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Same reason Peyton was always nagged about getting passed Brady. I like Peyton and was glad they beat the Patriots to get to the Superbowl :)

But make no mistake, my allegiance is with the Texans ;)

texanmojo
09-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Crazy to think they just signed Peyton to that huge contract. I really hope the Colts to mildly well this season and have no shot at Andrew Luck.

And I heard (but can't confirm) that the entire contract is guaranteed.

houstonspartan
09-07-2011, 04:15 PM
As i said before, he just became a dad. I know he's a competitive person, but he needs to think about life after football.

sandman
09-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Because we are a Houston team and that's the way it works with the media. Hey I said I wouldn't mind. I just know that's the way it's gonna be.

Outside of Comets and Dynamo titles, what has the city of Houston got besides the 94-95 Rockets titles that came in between MJ v.1 and v.2?

That's a freaking small sample size to complain that Houston teams get disrespected for their success.

ChampionTexan
09-07-2011, 04:44 PM
And the latest update/rumor/investigative report/whatever:

Jake Query, a radio host for WNDE in Indianapolis, is reporting that Colts’ QB Peyton Manning had a third neck procedure – either Sunday or Monday – and is out for the season. Nobody else has confirmed this and the Colts have not commented on Query’s report.

LINK (http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/09/07/there-is-a-rumor-that-peyton-manning-is-done-for-the-year/)

toronto
09-07-2011, 04:51 PM
If this proves to be true, the Colts are a 4-12 team. No team is as dependant on their QB as the Colts.

Kimmy
09-07-2011, 04:52 PM
As i said before, he just became a dad. I know he's a competitive person, but he needs to think about life after football.

His brother also had to stop plying for O-Miss due to spinal compression. He is fully aware of what this injury could do to him

Trap_Star
09-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Same reason Peyton was always nagged about getting passed Brady. I like Peyton and was glad they beat the Patriots to get to the Superbowl :)

But make no mistake, my allegiance is with the Texans ;)

wow, color me disappointed, kimmy. out of everybody here, why you? i think our friendship has gone as far as it will go.

*sigh*

:(

Kimmy
09-07-2011, 05:20 PM
wow, color me disappointed, kimmy. out of everybody here, why you? i think our friendship has gone as far as it will go.

*sigh*

:(

Hey ... When the spOILERS left, I stopped watching football all together, when I did watch, I just gravitated towards them.

When we got football back, the Texans became my team. No doubt about it.

I walk with my Texans tattoo and drive my Texan mobile proudly ;) No division here!

TheMatrix31
09-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I don't particularly get the hatred of the Colts either. Yeah, they're in our division and they're great, but they're not a piece of shit organization with dirty punk players like Jacksonville or Tennessee. They're respectable, play an entertaining brand of football, have an all-time player, and they were the "good guys" in the war against the Patriots for years and years. I guess, for me anyway.

Trap_Star
09-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I don't particularly get the hatred of the Colts either. Yeah, they're in our division and they're great, but they're not a piece of shit organization with dirty punk players like Jacksonville or Tennessee. They're respectable, play an entertaining brand of football, have an all-time player, and they were the "good guys" in the war against the Patriots for years and years. I guess, for me anyway.

why are the pats the bad guys?

Kimmy
09-07-2011, 06:15 PM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/355809/peyton.jpg

thunderkyss
09-07-2011, 06:19 PM
If this proves to be true, the Colts are a 4-12 team. No team is as dependant on their QB as the Colts.

& who thought the Pats would win 12 games without Brady?

I understand the sentiment, but the truth is we don't know.

That's why they play the game.

TheMatrix31
09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
why are the pats the bad guys?

Never liked them. Grew up not liking them since my bro is a diehard Dolphins fan. Hated them even before their success. Belichick is an asshole. They spent years winning games they had no business winning. To this day it makes me sick that they got by on the tuck rule (and I HATE the Raiders just as much as I hate New England), and with absolute losers in so many positions. Troy Brown? Deion Branch? Danny Woodhead? Kevin Faulk? Really?

Not to mention that I hate Boston sports in general. Their fans are obnoxious and pompous. They tasted a little bit of success and they became what they hate---New York fans. I despise the Red Sox and Bruins, and can only tolerate the Celtics slightly since they're such massive rivals with the team/fans I hate the most in sports, the Lakers.

I have respect for what they do, it's remarkable. And my hatred of Tom Brady has just turned into respect overall. And now, I'd rather have them win than the Jets. The Jets represent everything wrong with football. Obnoxious shithead coach, haven't done jack shit, got lucky to get into the playoffs two seasons in a row, annoying fans, etc.

Giant Tiger
09-07-2011, 06:40 PM

There are lots of reasons to cheer for the Patriots when they play the Colts:

1- They get slapped around the whole game, statistically should get clobbered & somehow win the game (I couldn't stand the Broncos for the same reason-still do).

2- Their fans are condescending-not classy. They forgot that they were lousy for years. They have 1 championship; I'd rather listen to Patriots fans.

3- Brady missed an entire season because he got hit, meanwhile any player who even just touches Manning gets flagged. Even Favre gets hit-the Saints hit him all day in the NFC Championship. I work with a Saints fan & he even said they'd get flagged if they did that to Manning. And why is it the Colts OL can move all they want before the snap?... Double standard.

CloakNNNdagger
09-07-2011, 07:23 PM
His brother also had to stop plying for O-Miss due to spinal compression. He is fully aware of what this injury could do to him

Kimmy, you are mostly correct. Cooper Manning was going to play for Ole Miss (as a WR, the standout position he played in HS). Prior to him beginning his 1st semester, he was diagnosed as having a congenital spinal stenosis (a narrowing of the boney tunnel through which the spinal cord passes). In fact, this was diagnosed after he had a significant problem develop during his last HS basketball game. Since this condition can lead to paralysis with a hard hit, he was advised to turn away from his dreams of being an NFL WR or any other type of contact sport such as basketball.

toronto
09-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Never liked them. Grew up not liking them since my bro is a diehard Dolphins fan. Hated them even before their success. Belichick is an asshole. They spent years winning games they had no business winning. To this day it makes me sick that they got by on the tuck rule (and I HATE the Raiders just as much as I hate New England), and with absolute losers in so many positions. Troy Brown? Deion Branch? Danny Woodhead? Kevin Faulk? Really?

Not to mention that I hate Boston sports in general. Their fans are obnoxious and pompous. They tasted a little bit of success and they became what they hate---New York fans. I despise the Red Sox and Bruins, and can only tolerate the Celtics slightly since they're such massive rivals with the team/fans I hate the most in sports, the Lakers.

I have respect for what they do, it's remarkable. And my hatred of Tom Brady has just turned into respect overall. And now, I'd rather have them win than the Jets. The Jets represent everything wrong with football. Obnoxious shithead coach, haven't done jack shit, got lucky to get into the playoffs two seasons in a row, annoying fans, etc.

Rare re-post. I am on the same page, especially on Boston sports fans. Try to go to a Red Sox game or Pats game. Most obnoxious fans alive, even more so than FC Barcelona (trust me they have a reason to be arrogant) or Yanks fans. Hell not even Cowboy fans in the early 90s were as bad as Pats' fans are now. Worse, they still self-loathe. They have all four ****ing teams winning championships in since 2005 and they still don't stop whining, pissing and moaning, or getting over their anti-NY hate.

And the tuck play is still on my top 5 list for worst calls ever. No matter who steps up and argues with me, I'll never understand how the hell that call happened. It was like they literally wanted Bill Simmons to STFU for life.

Belichick I hate, but wish to god he was my coach.

TheMatrix31
09-07-2011, 10:18 PM
There are lots of reasons to cheer for the Patriots when they play the Colts:

1- They get slapped around the whole game, statistically should get clobbered & somehow win the game (I couldn't stand the Broncos for the same reason-still do).

2- Their fans are condescending-not classy. They forgot that they were lousy for years. They have 1 championship; I'd rather listen to Patriots fans.

3- Brady missed an entire season because he got hit, meanwhile any player who even just touches Manning gets flagged. Even Favre gets hit-the Saints hit him all day in the NFC Championship. I work with a Saints fan & he even said they'd get flagged if they did that to Manning. And why is it the Colts OL can move all they want before the snap?... Double standard.

If you're posting about #1, then you can't possibly like the Patriots. They are the definition of winning games they shouldn't win. Especially early on in their run.

Patriots fans are infinitely worse than Colts fans. No way to quantify it, but just my experience.

Brady and the Pats are just as protected, perhaps even moreso. All star QBs are protected. It's a QB driven league.

Ckw
09-07-2011, 11:00 PM

A. Astros....B. Rangers
A. Texans....B. Cowboys

Great post. Now the question I have is why can't more people understand this is exactly the way A&M fans feel about Texas. There is no inferiority complex. I don't know any Aggies that feel like the "little brother". It simply is just good old fashioned hatred.

Most Aggies talk about Longhorns the same way Houstonians talk about Dallas fans: UT fans are stuck up, obnoxious pricks. Is that necessarily reality? No. Do I have friends that are Longhorns that I like? Yes. I also have friends that are from Dallas and are Cowboys fans that I like. It's just a rivalry and what makes sports so great. I don't care if Texas fans feel like OU is more of a rivalry. Aggies hate them and even if they never play each other again, that hatred will remain.

GP
09-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Great post. Now the question I have is why can't more people understand this is exactly the way A&M fans feel about Texas. There is no inferiority complex. I don't know any Aggies that feel like the "little brother". It simply is just good old fashioned hatred.

Most Aggies talk about Longhorns the same way Houstonians talk about Dallas fans: UT fans are stuck up, obnoxious pricks. Is that necessarily reality? No. Do I have friends that are Longhorns that I like? Yes. I also have friends that are from Dallas and are Cowboys fans that I like. It's just a rivalry and what makes sports so great. I don't care if Texas fans feel like OU is more of a rivalry. Aggies hate them and even if they never play each other again, that hatred will remain.

UT signing that special TV contract with ESPN is the death of the Big 12.

A&M said "To hell with this. We're not going to sit here and watch UT get all the money, and all of us Big 12 teams be their foot servants." Good for A&M.

And OU has told UT to STFU, too. I loved how Stoops said his team can play NCAA seasons just fine without the Red River Rivalry.

I think everybody's generally fed up with UT. And ESPN. Even Pat Forde, who is on ESPN, admits that the UT-ESPN contract money is a bad, bad deal for the Big 12. Great for UT, bad for everyone else. He said he'd on board if a TV deal benefits the whole conference...not if it lines the pockets of ONE team.

For me, there's just an aura with Longhorn and Cowboys football that I think is wonky. It feels contrived. They've branded themselves well, obviously, but it feels forced upon us. Like when you watch Tv shows, and movies now, where there's always "product placement" in the background (Seinfeld tv show really started doing that whole thing way back when). I walk into Target to buy my kids school supplies, and right by the bins of crayons and notebooks, etc., there's a kiosk end-cap type of display. What is on the display stand??? Duct Tape that's burnt orange with the UT Longhorn logo on it. No other team. Just UT. Rows and rows of it.

Over time, consumers just give in. Repetitive nature of propaganda, and all that jazz.

The people who market Cowboys and Longhorn gear, in Wal-Marts and Target stores, etc., must be the same guy. Right?

GP
09-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I lived there for about six months (Washington St) and agree. It's like Houston isn't Texas. I remember wearing Houston jerseys and warmups, all kinds of paraphalia and getting strange looks from most folks. The peeps in Amarillo might not have liked Houston but they were far easier on me - and to talk sports with - than if you are in Austin. Cowboy fans here suck and I'm really hoping to shove it down their throats after a couple of good seasons.

I found Amarilloans (?) to know more about the pro game than Austin fans. In Austin it's all about the college game, they will never grow out of it. Maybe it was just my experience, dunno.

I remember having hell finding work and I was frustrated. A guy said, "You don't tell them you are from Austin, do you?" I said yes, my references were there. He told me that was my problem "because they know you won't stay here." No offense, but they were right. (Damned ex-wife wanting to be with her family)

So weird.

We've lived in a rent house, since November 2010, while our home is being built (Got started on the home in June and will be in there late October).

The rent house we're in right now, it's on Washington St! Very south end of Amarillo, good quiet neighborhood. Strange connection, eh?

Speedy
09-07-2011, 11:37 PM
& who thought the Pats would win 12 games without Brady?

I understand the sentiment, but the truth is we don't know.

That's why they play the game.

Nobody thought it of course, but Cassel turned out to be a decent QB. Who would have thought the Pats would do what they did when Brady took over for Bledsoe?

That said, Kerry Collins is a guy who went back and forth with Vince Young. That doesn't say much for you. He won games at Tennessee with a great defense and great run game. Collins for his 16 year career, has throw almost as many INTs as TDs 195/206. Unlike the Pats example, you didn't know what to expect from Cassel, since he had never played. After 16 years, you pretty much know what you're getting from Collins.

I don't know if the Colts will be a cellar dweller or not, but they aren't going to be anywhere near what they were with 18. And that's about all they've ever been the last decade or so is 18.

18 makes them go with precision passes, precision timing, recognizing every look you could ever throw at him and all that jazz. He is the true field general. Kerry Collins isn't going to give you that. 18's career completion percentage is higher than Kerry Collins single season best completion percentage.

Yeah, you still have to play the games, but the Colts aren't going very far without 18.

GP
09-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Nobody thought it of course, but Cassel turned out to be a decent QB. Who would have thought the Pats would do what they did when Brady took over for Bledsoe?

That said, Kerry Collins is a guy who went back and forth with Vince Young. That doesn't say much for you. He won games at Tennessee with a great defense and great run game. Collins for his 16 year career, has throw almost as many INTs as TDs 195/206. Unlike the Pats example, you didn't know what to expect from Cassel, since he had never played. After 16 years, you pretty much know what you're getting from Collins.

I don't know if the Colts will be a cellar dweller or not, but they aren't going to be anywhere near what they were with 18. And that's about all they've ever been the last decade or so is 18.

18 makes them go with precision passes, precision timing, recognizing every look you could ever throw at him and all that jazz. He is the true field general. Kerry Collins isn't going to give you that. 18's career completion percentage is higher than Kerry Collins single season best completion percentage.

Yeah, you still have to play the games, but the Colts aren't going very far without 18.

Imagine the huge drop-off in the psyche of the whole Colts team, too, when they realize Manning isn't coming back to save them. I mean, a miracle is possible, obviously, but if the rumors are true and he's had another surgery that puts him COMPLETELY out of 2011?????? Holy cow! It could be over.

The Colts players are saying all the right things, in their response to journalists who ask them how they feel about not having 18 leading the team in Week 1. But you get the sense that they're not completely tuning into "The Big Picture" of what this means. They DON'T know any other way, other than the way of knowing that Zombie Manning takes care of everything in their path.

As much as people want to brag about Manning's streak of starting every game since Sept. 6, 1998......it has become their present day downfall. Almost 13 years of having QB1 sewn up and buttoned down. Hell, it's not just sewn up and buttoned down--It's been their ticket to divisional crowns and playoff runs every year!

They know no other way. None. I don't think the true picture of this is being grasped. Yeah, I know, "They still play the games every week...." but you still have to figure that for 13 years the Colts have been blessed with a Robot at QB1. Turn on the switch, enter the data sequence, and let the Robot do its work. But, the Robot is not on the production floor now. And the company has not planned for the day when they had to get a newer, better Robot to take Robot 18's place. Bad, bad move. BAD.

brakos82
09-08-2011, 01:04 AM
Imagine the huge drop-off in the psyche of the whole Colts team, too, when they realize Manning isn't coming back to save them. I mean, a miracle is possible, obviously, but if the rumors are true and he's had another surgery that puts him COMPLETELY out of 2011?????? Holy cow! It could be over.

The Colts players are saying all the right things, in their response to journalists who ask them how they feel about not having 18 leading the team in Week 1. But you get the sense that they're not completely tuning into "The Big Picture" of what this means. They DON'T know any other way, other than the way of knowing that Zombie Manning takes care of everything in their path.

As much as people want to brag about Manning's streak of starting every game since Sept. 6, 1998......it has become their present day downfall. Almost 13 years of having QB1 sewn up and buttoned down. Hell, it's not just sewn up and buttoned down--It's been their ticket to divisional crowns and playoff runs every year!

They know no other way. None. I don't think the true picture of this is being grasped. Yeah, I know, "They still play the games every week...." but you still have to figure that for 13 years the Colts have been blessed with a Robot at QB1. Turn on the switch, enter the data sequence, and let the Robot do its work. But, the Robot is not on the production floor now. And the company has not planned for the day when they had to get a newer, better Robot to take Robot 18's place. Bad, bad move. BAD.

Unless the whole super-secret evil plan is to tank the '11 season to get Luck in '12. :kitten:

Section516
09-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Jay_Glazer Jay Glazer
The answer RT @JimIrsay: Peyton didn't have a medical procedure last sunday,we'll have more info 2 add clarity 2 situation soon

Section516
09-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Jay_Glazer Jay Glazer
The answer RT @JimIrsay: Peyton didn't have a medical procedure last sunday,we'll have more info 2 add clarity 2 situation soon

News on Manning is not encouraging. RT @JimIrsay: #18's out for awhile,but compete,we will/BELIEVE

Rey
09-08-2011, 08:34 AM
News on Manning is not encouraging. RT @JimIrsay: #18's out for awhile,but compete,we will/BELIEVE

Wow.

That doesn's sound encouraging.

I went from thinking this was going to keep him out of the first game, to possibly a few weeks....

Now I'm thinking we might not see him play again, and if he does not for too much longer...

Double Barrel
09-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Dude is 35 yo, so just the nature of an aging body makes it extremely difficult to recover and still capitalize on the little gas left in the tank.

We may have seen the last of Manning.

Ryan
09-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I think Manning will come back, not that he has anything to accomplish. But i could see 2 more years out of him excluding this season most likely.

I just find it amazing the Colts gave him the 5 year deal without really knowing the situation.

Showtime100
09-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I think Manning will come back, not that he has anything to accomplish. But i could see 2 more years out of him excluding this season most likely.

I just find it amazing the Colts gave him the 5 year deal without really knowing the situation.

I agree, but I'm betting they knew as much as they could know at the time of the signing. Maybe because of their history with Manning they assumed lady luck would smile yet again. Meh, I got nothing. It was stupid on their part, IMO

I wonder when Drayton McLane bought the Colts. :D

Double Barrel
09-08-2011, 11:55 AM

I don't know if I can blame the Colts. Manning admits that he lies / cheats on the concussion pre-test, so he's shown that he's willing to lie to the organization in order to stay on the field regardless of being at risk for a potentially serious injury.

Why would this neck injury be any different when he had so much money at stake and probably thought he could hide it enough to compete?

Arrogance, greed, and competitiveness can often have a way of clouding judgment.

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2011, 12:39 PM
@Jay_Glazer Jay Glazer
While I'm hearing Manning hasn't had surgery yet, I wouldn't be surprised if he has it before the weekend!
32 minutes ago via UberSocial

DX-TEX
09-08-2011, 02:04 PM
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Official: Sources say Manning had surgery this am - cervical fusion with 2-3 month minimum recovery.No word on whether he will be put on IR.
2 minutes ago

Done.

Section516
09-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Cervical fusion? Dude. Does not sound healthy for post-surgery playing career.

Looking forward to Doc's always insightful diagnosis.

Playoffs
09-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Lombardi on ESPN confirms 3rd neck surgery this morning.

HOU-TEX
09-08-2011, 02:10 PM

I think it's the same thing Slaton had done in his neck.

Props to Manning for getting everything right before playing football. Hope it turns out ok

BIG TORO
09-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Done.

Here is a link to Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning)
2 to 3 months out!

I think he is out for the season!

jaayteetx
09-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Return of the Dolts.

GP
09-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Done.

Agree.

Dude is done. Going to miss an entire year, AND he'll be a year older next "season" if he has one at all.

He'd run through hell wearing gasoline-soaked underwear...but every man, even the great ones (and he is one of them), have a limit. I think age, accomplishments (2 divisional crowns and 1 Super Bowl), and status of his neck will end up making him decide to take up a permanent TV career.

He's a natural on camera, he'll make good money. He'll make DAMN good money. Oh, and QB camps in the summer. Cha-ching.

jaayteetx
09-08-2011, 02:38 PM
And the chase for Andrew Luck begins...

toronto
09-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Official release from the Colts

COLTS STATEMENT ON PEYTON MANNING

By Indianapolis Colts

Posted 7 minutes ago

As previously stated on Monday, Sept. 5th, Peyton Manning has undergone further testing and consultation with several specialists regarding his rehabilitation.

As previously stated on Monday, Sept. 5th, Peyton Manning has undergone further testing and consultation with several specialists regarding his rehabilitation. The results of these tests and the consensus of the consultations was that further surgery was warranted. Peyton has undergone this surgery today by having a single level anterior fusion. The surgery was un-eventful.

This procedure is performed regularly throughout the country on persons from all walks of life, including professional football players. Two former Colts players had this same procedure last winter and have fully resumed their careers. Rehabilitation from such surgery is typically an involved process. Therefore, there will be no estimation of a return date at this time. We will keep Peyton on the active roster until we have a clearer picture of his recovery process.

Peyton will immediately begin the rehabilitation regimen mapped out by the surgeon. We anticipate no further updates or availabilities beyond those required by the NFL Media Policy for the immediate future.

Thank you for your consideration.

IMO he's done for the season.

axisv
09-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Manning out 2-3 months according to Chris Mortenson who says he had surgery today.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6944302/indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-more-surgery-neck-sources-say

disaacks3
09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Back by late December if the Colts are lucky.

GP
09-08-2011, 03:00 PM
I know they say guys who have had this surgery return and play.

Not denying it.

I'm still going to say that the guy will have not played football in TWO years when the next time arrives for him to try and play (which would be Summer of 2012). And, he'll be 36.

Pair this with what I understand to be a bit of a family-oriented problem (his brother had to quit competitive, contact-based sports before college due to congenital narrowing of spinal cavity) and then add to this the beckoning call of a life of luxury as a TV guy and a QB Camp instructor....

Cha-ching. Dollars and Sense will win out. He won't announce it until sometime after Super Bowl, saying he "needs time to think about what's best for him, his family, and the Colts who have been so good to him all these years."

Once the Super Bowl is over (with the Texans being crowned as new champs), and as the 2012 draft draws near, he'll have to make a decision in probably February or early March.

He won't desire to go out like a chump, getting his jersey stained and his reputation soiled. He doesn't want to hear boo'ing from the fans because he's lost the touch but the Colts keep trying to let him go out there and bring back the magic.

This guy is THE most analytical guy in the NFL, IMO. He will run the numbers through his robotic brain, and it will spit out the test results: Retire and enjoy life.

z_man57
09-08-2011, 03:08 PM

I believe his season is toast...

Dutchrudder
09-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Now I see why the league tried to protect him all these years, he's as brittle as McGrady.

I do feel kind of bad though, I didn't draft Peyton for any of my fantasy teams, but I did get him in the 5th for my girlfriend's team. Gonna drop him for Kolb.

prostock101
09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I would think Peyton and his posse would have access to the finest surgeons in the world and they have to cut on him three times to get it right?

If any of us failed like that we'd be fired on the spot.......

Showtime100
09-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I think he is out for the season!

I think by the time he's okayed to play the Colts will have written off the season. His new contract will further persuade them to give him the rest of the season off.

I like the guy as much as a Texan fan can which is why I won't miss him and a bit relieved he won't get REALLY hurt trying to come back too soon.

ChampionTexan
09-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I think by the time he's okayed to play the Colts will have written off the season. His new contract will further persuade them to give him the rest of the season off.

Yep - reminiscent of Tony Romo last season (the situation, not the injury).

ChampionTexan
09-08-2011, 05:34 PM
http://c0013944.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_82a4200

Showtime100
09-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Lol, all it needs is a screw sticking out each side and the look is complete. :D

disaacks3
09-08-2011, 05:36 PM

Dude, that's just wrong...

TheMatrix31
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
That's ****ed up.

Dutchrudder
09-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Colts fans on hearing the news:

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr14/themishkin/GIFs/NoOAf.gif

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2011, 06:01 PM

What we know:

*We know his 1st two minimally invasive surgeries were posterior cervical discectomies (as the video I posted)

*We know that he delayed his 1st surgery of March 2010 for 4 years

*We know that he delayed his 2nd (May 23 2011) surgery having had symptoms at least since the very beginning of the year (with some conjecture that he was suffering symptoms since the beginning or middle of the 2010 regular season).

*We know that he was expected to be playing football by 6-8 weeks (like after his 1st surgery) and now its been almost 4 months with continued significant problems.

*We know that he has now undergone a formal ONE LEVEL anterior cervical fusion with graft.

Some general conclusions that could be drawn:

*He had this 3rd type of surgery NOT SOLELY because a properly decompressed nerve was not regenerating quickly enough, but because there was continued compression on that nerve despite his previous surgeries.

*There have been studies that have shown that the prognosis of successful nerve regeneration is significantly negatively impacted by waiting for >6 months of experiencing compressive symptoms.

*Realistically safe return to football is likely to take closer to 6 months (if then) of recovery and rehab rather than a 2 - 3 month period reported. (We will likely see the fans, team and media restart all the chaotic speculation of return in 2 months.)

*Since there was this long continued period of symptoms up to this recent surgery, we still don’t know how much and how long his nerve and muscle function will take to return. Although this was a one level fusion which normally carries a very good return to play record, the complicating factors that I have tried to chronicle do not necessarily guarantee that he will return as the Peyton Manning we know, or at all. In other words, a successful decompressive operation may not necessarily translate into a successful functional outcome.....and we haven’t even taken into consideration that there is likely some degeneration already brewing at one or more adjacent disc spaces.............not to mention the more terrible thought of the possibility of surgical complications (not anything that I want to get into, since the present circumstances seem to already be complicated enough.)

steelbtexan
09-08-2011, 07:02 PM
What we know:

*We know his 1st two minimally invasive surgeries were posterior cervical discectomies (as the video I posted)

*We know that he delayed his 1st surgery of March 2010 for 4 years

*We know that he delayed his 2nd (May 23 2011) surgery having had symptoms at least since the very beginning of the year (with some conjecture that he was suffering symptoms since the beginning or middle of the 2010 regular season).

*We know that he was expected to be playing football by 6-8 weeks (like after his 1st surgery) and now its been almost 4 months with continued significant problems.

*We know that he has now undergone a formal ONE LEVEL anterior cervical fusion with graft.

Some general conclusions that could be drawn:

*He had this 3rd type of surgery NOT SOLELY because a properly decompressed nerve was not regenerating quickly enough, but because there was continued compression on that nerve despite his previous surgeries.

*There have been studies that have shown that the prognosis of successful nerve regeneration is significantly negatively impacted by waiting for >6 months of experiencing compressive symptoms.

*Realistically safe return to football is likely to take closer to 6 months (if then) of recovery and rehab rather than a 2 - 3 month period reported. (We will likely see the fans, team and media restart all the chaotic speculation of return in 2 months.)

*Since there was this long continued period of symptoms up to this recent surgery, we still don’t know how much and how long his nerve and muscle function will take to return. Although this was a one level fusion which normally carries a very good return to play record, the complicating factors that I have tried to chronicle do not necessarily guarantee that he will return as the Peyton Manning we know, or at all. In other words, a successful decompressive operation may not necessarily translate into a successful functional outcome.....and we haven’t even taken into consideration that there is likely some degeneration already brewing at one or more adjacent disc spaces.............not to mention the more terrible thought of the possibility of surgical complications (not anything that I want to get into, since the present circumstances seem to already be complicated enough.)

Thanks Doc, Cant rep you

You have been ahead of the curve on the Manning situation. Thanks for explaining this to me in laymans terms. After watching the video the surgery seems to be an injury that isn't hard to fix. But nobody knows how Mannings neck is going to respond.

From what I've read Manning appears to be done for the yr and he'll be fortunate to ever play again. Although I wouldn't bet against the latter.

What do you think are the odds of him playing this yr? The odds of him being done?

CloakNNNdagger
09-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Thanks Doc, Cant rep you

You have been ahead of the curve on the Manning situation. Thanks for explaining this to me in laymans terms. After watching the video the surgery seems to be an injury that isn't hard to fix. But nobody knows how Mannings neck is going to respond.

From what I've read Manning appears to be done for the yr and he'll be fortunate to ever play again. Although I wouldn't bet against the latter.

What do you think are the odds of him playing this yr? The odds of him being done?

The video I previously posted was of his May 23rd surgery.

This is a VIDEO (http://www.esurgeon.com/scripts/content/playmovie.html?filename=antcervdisc&openthis=antcervdisc&returnpath=treatmentoptions/index.html&doctorname=Jed%20P.%20Weber,%20MD&doctor=weber&page=) of the procedure he just underwent. (There is some variation in how the procedure can be performed, but this demonstrates, if not exactly his procedure, the principle of the procedure.)

As to your last question, as I said before, a potentially poor outcome would not necessarily be an indictment of his recent surgery, but would be as much dependent on how much nerve damage he has incurred to date. With the way the economy is, I would suggest that you slowly walk far away from any bets for his extended return to the NFL, and would walk away even faster from a "functional" return this season.

texanmojo
09-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Based on this article...he's not coming back this year. And for some...they never return.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/will_carroll/09/08/peyton-manning/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Giant Tiger
09-08-2011, 09:08 PM
If you're posting about #1, then you can't possibly like the Patriots. They are the definition of winning games they shouldn't win. Especially early on in their run.

Patriots fans are infinitely worse than Colts fans. No way to quantify it, but just my experience.

Brady and the Pats are just as protected, perhaps even moreso. All star QBs are protected. It's a QB driven league.

Actually the team that won games they didn't deserve was the Broncos during the Elway era, the Colts then became the 2000's version of that team. Some teams may get lucky once in a while (remember the Texans 47 yard game against Pittsburgh?), but the Colts get lucky all the time. The Rosencopter game wasn't the only one they didn't deserve to win against the Texans.

Can't say I agree with your comment about Patriots fans. I"ve met a lot of them up here (went to school with some as well) & I've never had any issues. I just find Colts fans to be arrogant, although they're not as bad as Buffalo fans. That said, I'd respect them if they were still the Baltimore Colts.

As for Brady getting more protection than Manning; Brady was the one who got hit, not Manning. IMO, Schaub gets a bad rap regarding toughness, but he gets hit, Favre got hit by the Saints, too. A Saints fan I work with said he was worried they'd get flagged if they hit Manning. Point is, there are rules for Manning & rules for everybody else.

GP
09-08-2011, 09:21 PM
CND is awesome.

Repping him if I can. The insight, the comparison/contrast to what the media is reporting. He should be charging a CND Insiders Only fee on here.

UPDATE:

Costas during halftime of Packers-Saints game. He's talking about Manning, speculating about "If the Manning situation worsens," Costas is saying (it's a speech he's written, not a running commentary) that Manning should have achieved more than ONE Super Bowl...and the window might be closing.

It was as close to a COLTS obituary as I've ever seen. Geez, Bob. Slow up on the depressing analysis.

At this point, I hope Manning protects his health. Too good of a player, too good of a person, to risk a bad permanent injury by coming back. I want to remember him as the ass kicking QB who stymied us for almost a decade. Not a guy who can't function normally in real life.

I can't believe I'm actually...CARING...about the guy. :yuck:

edo783
09-08-2011, 11:11 PM
CND is awesome.

Repping him if I can. The insight, the comparison/contrast to what the media is reporting. He should be charging a CND Insiders Only fee on here.
:

I hit CND for you and for all of us. The info that gets put out to us is just not available elsewhere or with other teams.

GP
09-09-2011, 12:26 AM
I hit CND for you and for all of us. The info that gets put out to us is just not available elsewhere or with other teams.

Thanks, edo.

SheTexan
09-09-2011, 06:38 AM
I truly hate to see this happen to him, or anyone, for that matter. PM was born with a fb in his hand, and he will go down in NFL history as one of the best EVER to play the game. I feel sad for him, and for Colts fans. Yes, they are our competition, and for us it's good news, but, we're talking about one of the most prolific, exciting players in the league, and one that is always FUN to watch. Just sad, to me anyway.

Ryan
09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Here's something interesting:

SportsCenter
Source: #Colts can get out of Peyton Manning's contract after 1 year & $26M without any other money guaranteed.

jaayteetx
09-09-2011, 01:12 PM

SportsCenter
Source: #Colts can get out of Peyton Manning's contract after 1 year & $26M without any other money guaranteed.

They might be smart to do that...now that they've done the stupid thing in the first place by signing him to a huge contract with known health issues.

drs23
09-09-2011, 06:54 PM

SportsCenter

That poor bastid. What's he gonna do? He and his wife just had twins. He's prolly only got 250-350 million left in his checking account and they expect him AND his family to make on another 26 million f'kn dollars? His sponsors will probably drop him like a hot rock in 6-8 years and the pence that they throw at him will wither away. Furthermore, I'm sure we all know how hard it is to make ends meet on that silly 'talking heads' media pay. That's unconscionable. These greedy corporate pricks anyway.

What's a mother to do? :kitten:

GP
09-09-2011, 07:44 PM

SportsCenter

And there it is.

steelbtexan
09-09-2011, 08:07 PM
CND is awesome.

UPDATE:

Costas during halftime of Packers-Saints game. He's talking about Manning, speculating about "If the Manning situation worsens," Costas is saying (it's a speech he's written, not a running commentary) that Manning should have achieved more than ONE Super Bowl...and the window might be closing.

It was as close to a COLTS obituary as I've ever seen. Geez, Bob. Slow up on the depressing analysis.

At this point, I hope Manning protects his health. Too good of a player, too good of a person, to risk a bad permanent injury by coming back. I want to remember him as the ass kicking QB who stymied us for almost a decade. Not a guy who can't function normally in real life.

I can't believe I'm actually...CARING...about the guy. :yuck:

Agreed, We're lucky to have somebody like CND on the MB.

I hate how Manning made the Texans their Bi***** for almost a decade. But we as a generation are lucky to have gotten to watch a true legend like Manning up close and personal for as long as we did. Good luck Peyton and God Speed.

Lets kick some Colts A** on Sunday.

steelbtexan
09-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Texans vs Cowboys Superbowl!!!!!

This is what I root for every yr.

Texans kick butt and BOBBY raises a Lombardi. LOL

HJam72
09-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I predict we will shut Manning down tomorrow. The man won't complete a single pass. :fans: