PDA

View Full Version : Texans Practice squad takes shape

ChampionTexan
09-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Per McClain via twitter:
McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Key members of practice squad: S Shiloh Keo, WR Trindon Holliday, RB Chris Ogbonnaya, WR Jeff Maehl, G Andrew Gardner, LB Mister Alexander.

McClain_on_NFL John McClain
C Howard Barbieri also on practice squad. OB Xavier Adibi claimed on waivers by Minnesota.

barrett
09-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Great to see Ogbonnaya and Maehl made the squad.

ObsiWan
09-04-2011, 06:04 PM
I'm a bit surprised not to see Keglar and Scooter Berry on that list. But I'm thinking they aren't done yet.

kiwitexansfan
09-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Hope Gardner and Barbieri make some progress quick smart... they might be needed.

TexanBacker93
09-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm a bit surprised not to see Keglar and Scooter Berry on that list. But I'm thinking they aren't done yet.

Keglar might have played in too many games. I think he played on ST for us in quite a few games last year and I think he played some games with the Titans the year before that.

prostock101
09-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Really thought we were done with Holliday. Waste of a PS spot. If someone thinks he belongs there, please show me one (1) highlight of him on the field.

Just one. This is for entertainment purposes only. Please, no wagering.

houstonspartan
09-04-2011, 06:21 PM
How much do these guys get paid?

Rey
09-04-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm glad Trindon made it onto the PS.

Don't know why Keo made it. Hopefully he improves.

I like Brandon Ghee from the Vikings and would like to snatch him off of their PS. Dude is a physical specimen at CB.

ChampionTexan
09-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Keglar might have played in too many games. I think he played on ST for us in quite a few games last year and I think he played some games with the Titans the year before that.

Yep - Keglar isn't even close to be practice squad eligible. You can't have an "accrued season" in the NFL to qualify, Keglar has three.

ChampionTexan
09-04-2011, 06:27 PM

$5,700/week minimum. A team can pay more than that if they want to, but I'm pretty sure it all counts against the salary cap.

ArlingtonTexan
09-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Around $90,000 for a full season. They can nego. for more and in a handful of cases have been known to make the same as if they on the regualr squad. This is the exception by far as most dudes figure out that $90,000 half a year jobs aren't lying around, especially ones where they are a wrong step one from that job being $300,000 or so.

JimBaker488
09-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Around $90,000 for a full season. They can nego. for more and in a handful of cases have been known to make the same as if they on the regualr squad. This is the exception by far as most dudes figure out that $90,000 half a year jobs aren't lying around, especially ones where they are a wrong step one from that job being $300,000 or so.

Does an undrated FA like Maehl or a drafted player like Keo who failed to make the roster get that PS money in additon to any money/compensation they've already negotiated for to sign with the Texans ?

Maddict5
09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Does an undrated FA like Maehl or a drafted player like Keo who failed to make the roster get that PS money in additon to any money/compensation they've already negotiated for to sign with the Texans ?

id assume being on the PS would overrride their contract- which they get 1/16th of every wk they're on the 53 normal roster

ChampionTexan
09-04-2011, 09:22 PM

id assume being on the PS would overrride their contract- which they get 1/16th of every wk they're on the 53 normal roster

Whether a drafted player or a UDFA, their contract was voided when they were waived and not claimed by another team. If there was a signing bonus involved, they get to keep that, but any base salary included in that contract no longer matters.

ArlingtonTexan
09-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Whether a drafted player or a UDFA, their contract was voided when they were waived and not claimed by another team. If there was a signing bonus involved, they get to keep that, but any base salary included in that contract no longer matters.

:goodpost:

JimBaker488
09-04-2011, 10:08 PM
If there was a signing bonus involved, they get to keep that, but any base salary included in that contract no longer matters.
Say Keo got "X" in signing bonus or other guanteed money when they inked their origional contract with the Texans and which he kept even though he failed to make the roster ? OK this PS money (which I understand is like 5K a week) is money they receive in addition to "X", right ?

honored82
09-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Say Keo got "X" in signing bonus or other guanteed money when they inked their origional contract with the Texans and which he kept even though he failed to make the roster ? OK this PS money (which I understand is like 5K a week) is money they receive in addition to "X", right ?

Yup. Any link if he got the signing bonus, being a 5th round pick ?

ArlingtonTexan
09-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Yup. Any link if he got the signing bonus, being a 5th round pick ?

Signing bonues for 5th round picks are somewhere around 175,000-200,000 (sorry no linkage) and that money is upfront whether they make the team or not.

Just to note: most of these guys (past the 2nd/3rd round) play for league minimiums as base salaries for length of the contract.

JimBaker488
09-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Signing bonues for 5th round picks are somewhere around 175,000-200,000 (sorry no linkage) and that money is upfront whether they make the team or not.

Just to note: most of these guys (past the 2nd/3rd round) play for league minimiums as base salaries for length of the contract.
Would you expect an undrafted FA rookie like Maehl to get a contract that included any signing bonus or other guaranteed money, or does he come to Houston with only the understanding that he gets nothing but an opportunity to make the roster and then get paid ?

honored82
09-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Would you expect an undrafted FA rookie like Maehl to get a contract that included any signing bonus or other guaranteed money, or does he come to Houston with only the understanding that he gets nothing but an opportunity to make the roster and then get paid ?

UDFA do get something like $800/week to try out at the camp. Veterans may get 1200/week ( Maynard ) but they also get roomed and fed at the camp. If you are good, and make the roster, then you get a contract. Not sure about signing bonus

ArlingtonTexan
09-04-2011, 10:56 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/undrafted-players-get-screwed-in-the-new-deal/

Before this year, UDFA signing bonus was pretty close to pure free market. There were UDFAs who got better signing bonues than 7th rounders. Now, with a cap of $75,000 per team and most years teams sigining around 15-20 UDFAs the money is essentially covering moving expenses $2500-$5000.

beerlover
09-05-2011, 12:24 AM
S Shiloh Keo, He made the PS because of special teams, as has Dominique Barber last few years.
WR Trindon Holliday, Returners have long history of injurys, he is insurance & electric speed.
RB Chris Ogbonnaya, Answers the bell when called upon, someone to depend upon, looks more comfortable in system with all the reps, hence is an improving talent.
WR Jeff Maehl, I believe he could work into that 5th WR position if they can't locate better talent off waivers. Will catch everything.
G Andrew Gardner, Developmental OG. Need depth here along with Austin. Good athleticism.
LB Mister Alexander, I don't know much about other than he came from a school with a reputation for producing excellent LB's, Florida State.

noxiousdog
09-05-2011, 12:34 AM
$5,700/week minimum. A team can pay more than that if they want to, but I'm pretty sure it all counts against the salary cap.

It doesn't. Only the first 51 salaries count.

Wolf6151
09-05-2011, 04:08 AM
I like Ogbonnaya, and Gardner the rest can be cut. We can do better.

The Pencil Neck
09-05-2011, 07:14 PM
I like Ogbonnaya, and Gardner the rest can be cut. We can do better.

They were cut.

:kitten:

TimeKiller
09-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Good list of backup backups, along with the "IR" list. The "hey-you-rest-that-4-week-injury-here's-some-money-be-back-next-year-with-some-new-skills" IR list.

TheDrifter
09-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I like Holliday on the practice squad. Tells me they are using a bit of foresight and preparing for the kick off line to get moved back again next year.

I feel like this franchise hasn't always done a very good job of looking ahead. So at least its a nice change of pace...

Yankee_In_TX
09-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Great to see Ogbonnaya

Me too, but he'll get scooped up as soon as there are some early season injuries.

Not sure what Holliday brings to the table.

beerlover
09-06-2011, 02:20 PM

I think they kept Slaton, Ogbonnaya & Holliday around because of depth concerns out of the backfield, in the slot & special teams. I'm sure it will sort itself out in the next couple of weeks, when one or the other must actually return some result.

Rey
09-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Me too, but he'll get scooped up as soon as there are some early season injuries.

I wonder how often guys actually get scooped off of practice squads.

We lost Malcolm Sheppard last year, but how often have we or other teams lost guys?