PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't we just re-sign the Turk?

TimeKiller
09-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Watching a quality punter pin the offense time and time again and really impact the game through field position makes me wonder...

Why did we release the old punter who couldn't kick a ball 40 yards for an old punter who can't kick the ball 40 yards? Bring back Hartman, Maynard is weak.

Rey
09-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Watching a quality punter pin the offense time and time again and really impact the game through field position makes me wonder...

Why did we release the old punter who couldn't kick a ball 40 yards for an old punter who can't kick the ball 40 yards? Bring back Hartman, Maynard is weak.

Yeah, id make the move now. If not for Hartmann, for someone else.

But kubiak will probably give him week one to prove himself.

Texans_Chick
09-01-2011, 10:20 PM
They actually tried to keep Turk on. IIRC, asked him to hang around through first Saturday of free agency. Turk took his talents to Jacksonville.

michaelm
09-01-2011, 10:23 PM
They actually tried to keep Turk on. IIRC, asked him to hang around through first Saturday of free agency. Turk took his talents to Jacksonville.

You have a big heart, Steph.
Well, maybe big heart isn't exactly the description I'm looking for.
How 'bout this... you're very generous with the word talent... :kitten:

Dutchrudder
09-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Again, why the hell didn't they spend a 7th on a Punter? Neither 7th round pick looks like they will make the team at this point. Chas Henery would definitely be a starter here.

Texans_Chick
09-01-2011, 10:30 PM
You have a big heart, Steph.
Well, maybe big heart isn't exactly the description I'm looking for.
How 'bout this... you're very generous with the word talent... :kitten:

I suck at sarcasm and allusions to LeBron James and how funny it is to compare Jacksonville to South Beach.

michaelm
09-01-2011, 10:37 PM
I suck at sarcasm and allusions to LeBron James and how funny it is to compare Jacksonville to South Beach.

Randomly putting :kitten: in your posts can make people wonder if you're being sarcastic, and they just aren't getting it.

Not the optimal solution, but could eventually lead to a chuckle or two.

Well, maybe not, but worth a try? :kitten:

dc_txtech
09-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Again, why the hell didn't they spend a 7th on a Punter? Neither 7th round pick looks like they will make the team at this point. Chas Henery would definitely be a starter here.

Not one punter was drafted in this years draft regardless of round. Why spend a pick when you can sign a UDFA?

foo82
09-01-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't think Turk did that great of a job anyways. I actually thought he was pretty bad last season.

ArlingtonTexan
09-01-2011, 11:17 PM

My answer to punting would be : other options

brakos82
09-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Hell, what happened to Chad Stanley is God?

Norg
09-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Not one punter was drafted in this years draft regardless of round. Why spend a pick when you can sign a UDFA?

Actually atlanta used a 5th roumd pick on a punter : P

Dutchrudder
09-01-2011, 11:25 PM

Because your 1st string punter is more important than a 6th string OLB or OT that you will end up cutting anyways. Field position can make all the difference in some tight games, but it's clear this organization doesn't give much value to the punter's position.

dream_team
09-02-2011, 02:37 AM

Because Turk is awful! It's just unfortunate we brought in guys that aren't much better. I'm afraid to see how many games our special teams will cost us.

Wolf6151
09-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Maynard is old, makes way to much money, sucks, and only does 1 thing punt. He was the worst punter in the NFL last year. Hartmann is younger, cheaper, does 2 things punting and kicking, and his preseason stats were virtually identical to Maynards. So naturally we keep the old expensive non versitile guy that sucks. I agree with Rey, Maynard probably gets week 1 to prove himself and Kubiak probably has Hartmann on speed dial.

ObsiWan
09-02-2011, 02:55 AM
Maynard is old, makes way to much money, sucks, and only does 1 thing punt. He was the worst punter in the NFL last year. Hartmann is younger, cheaper, does 2 things punting and kicking, and his preseason stats were virtually identical to Maynards. So naturally we keep the old expensive non versitile guy that sucks. I agree with Rey, Maynard probably gets week 1 to prove himself and Kubiak probably has Hartmann on speed dial.

That's not exactly true. He's the holder for Rackers. In fact, during the pregame radio broadcast, Kubiak said that he and Rackers had established a "good rapport". Apparently, Rackers input tipped the scales in favor of Maynard.

...that and the fact that Kubiak went with 'youth' in critical positions last year and it nearly got him fired.

Wolf6151
09-02-2011, 03:10 AM
That's not exactly true. He's the holder for Rackers. In fact, during the pregame radio broadcast, Kubiak said that he and Rackers had established a "good rapport". Apparently, Rackers input tipped the scales in favor of Maynard.

...that and the fact that Kubiak went with 'youth' in critical positions last year and it nearly got him fired.

Well they both were holders. I also saw Rackers yelling at Maynard tonight, looking angry, after the field goal that hit the upright and bounced out. He didn't apprear to be to happy with Maynards hold on that kick. I understand Kubiaks preference for veterans, just don't agree with him on this one.

ObsiWan
09-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Well they both were holders. I also saw Rackers yelling at Maynard tonight, looking angry, after the field goal that hit the upright and bounced out. He didn't apprear to be to happy with Maynards hold on that kick. I understand Kubiaks preference for veterans, just don't agree with him on this one.

so much for that "good rapport" huh...
and, for the record, I liked the kid better myself - liked his big leg on kickoffs
but I've seen others post that neither had an outstanding showing this preseason.

alphajoker
09-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Because your 1st string punter is more important than a 6th string OLB or OT that you will end up cutting anyways. Field position can make all the difference in some tight games, but it's clear this organization doesn't give much value to the punter's position.

Maybe this organization isn't planning on doing much punting this year. :splits:

Scooter
09-02-2011, 06:14 AM
turk's already blasting them 15 yards this preseason ... anybody is an upgrade. the kid had a bigger leg, but he was too erratic with it. i think the coaches like maynard's consistency and accuracy - both making it easier on the coverage unit.

Texans_Chick
09-02-2011, 07:26 AM
turk's already blasting them 15 yards this preseason ... anybody is an upgrade. the kid had a bigger leg, but he was too erratic with it. i think the coaches like maynard's consistency and accuracy - both making it easier on the coverage unit.

Pluses I heard on Maynard was 1. Consistency; 2. Preferred as a holder for kicks.

Turk has had issues with the Jags this preseason already. He claims he had an injury all last season he played through.

I do not feel good about punts or special teams coverage. Going to have a ton of inexperienced guys doing it. Best STs have some good, smart, experienced leaders.

TimeKiller
09-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Pluses I heard on Maynard was 1. Consistency; 2. Preferred as a holder for kicks.

Turk has had issues with the Jags this preseason already. He claims he had an injury all last season he played through.

I do not feel good about punts or special teams coverage. Going to have a ton of inexperienced guys doing it. Best STs have some good, smart, experienced leaders.

psshh what'd he have......gout?

Look, all I'm saying is that probably 90% of the males aged 18-50 can punt a ball 40 yards. I'm not asking for Kluwe.....well I am but I would accept a guy who isn't kicking it as hard as he can from the Texans 45 yard line and landing the ball around the opposing 15. I want the guy who has to take a little off his kick.

Maynard is a joke. For all the team did this offseason to shed that old, stank image of not spending, not upgrading, hunky dorry, live and let suck........WHY?!?

WHY go old, familiar and suck over young, wild and big legged?

TexansWest
09-02-2011, 09:43 AM

I think thats the motto on cougarlife.com. :smiliepalm:

But I completely agree!! How are we better at this position than last season? Isn't that like some kind of goal in the offseason to get BETTER at any and all postions?

Texans_Chick
09-02-2011, 09:51 AM

Look, all I'm saying is that probably 90% of the males aged 18-50 can punt a ball 40 yards. I'm not asking for Kluwe.....well I am but I would accept a guy who isn't kicking it as hard as he can from the Texans 45 yard line and landing the ball around the opposing 15. I want the guy who has to take a little off his kick.

Maynard is a joke. For all the team did this offseason to shed that old, stank image of not spending, not upgrading, hunky dorry, live and let suck........WHY?!?

They were looking. They tried guys out. That's what they got.

El Tejano
09-02-2011, 10:24 AM

You forgot to mention that he can also kick a freaking 34 yard Field Goal.

TimeKiller
09-02-2011, 10:37 AM
I think thats the motto on cougarlife.com. :smiliepalm:

But I completely agree!! How are we better at this position than last season? Isn't that like some kind of goal in the offseason to get BETTER at any and all postions?

I wouldn't know but NICE hahaha....Yeah, seems like they could've pretty easily gotten better at punter and actually managed to get worse.

You forgot to mention that he can also kick a freaking 34 yard Field Goal.

Whoooo yeah that was nasty. Rackers thought he made it too...then.....BONK!!!!

El Tejano
09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Whoooo yeah that was nasty. Rackers thought he made it too...then.....BONK!!!!

It's the 2nd time this preseason and it's not the first since he's put on a Texan jersey.

Hervoyel
09-02-2011, 11:31 AM
To begin with, I think it's just poor form to have a player on your roster with the name "Turk". I think that stands on its own merits as a reason not to re-sign Turk.

Second, I would have liked to seen the Texans approach the whole kickoff thing with a "Kick it off the map and start at the twenty errry time" approach. It's big leg over accuracy every single time for me. Who cares if your coverage teams suck if your kicker can knock it out of the park consistently?

With the punter I feel the same way. I don't care if he can nail the coffin corner as long as he can kick it into orbit and give the coverage team time to get down there and introduce themselves properly.

But we didn't take that route so this one aspect of the Texans game will continue to be a "Hold your breath every time it happens" event. I sure hope we draft a punter next year though.

dream_team
09-02-2011, 12:06 PM
You guys remember Greg Montgomery? He was awesome! Too bad he only needed to punt like once a game.

silvrhand
09-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Hmmmm.. That's actually a 50 yard punt with probably about 4.5 second hang time no way 90% of people can do that, I'll put $100 on that.

b0ng
09-02-2011, 12:41 PM

This would be the equivalent of drafting a defense in the middle rounds of your fantasy football draft.

TimeKiller
09-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Hmmmm.. That's actually a 50 yard punt with probably about 4.5 second hang time no way 90% of people can do that, I'll put $100 on that.

:everyfacepalm:

Ok serious guy...first off, learn math. 45 to the 15 is a 40 yard difference. 50 would be to the 5, like Kluwe kept doing.

silvrhand
09-02-2011, 02:38 PM
:everyfacepalm:

Ok serious guy...first off, learn math. 45 to the 15 is a 40 yard difference. 50 would be to the 5, like Kluwe kept doing.

Punts are measured from the LOS, I wuldn't expect that you are talking about from where the punter stands vs. the LOS.

TimeKiller
09-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Even though I said he, the punter, kicking from the 45...nevermind.

It was just so foreign to see a punter making a difference in the game/field position.

ArlingtonTexan
09-02-2011, 04:10 PM
To begin with, I think it's just poor form to have a player on your roster with the name "Turk". I think that stands on its own merits as a reason not to re-sign Turk.

Second, I would have liked to seen the Texans approach the whole kickoff thing with a "Kick it off the map and start at the twenty errry time" approach. It's big leg over accuracy every single time for me. Who cares if your coverage teams suck if your kicker can knock it out of the park consistently?

With the punter I feel the same way. I don't care if he can nail the coffin corner as long as he can kick it into orbit and give the coverage team time to get down there and introduce themselves properly.

But we didn't take that route so this one aspect of the Texans game will continue to be a "Hold your breath every time it happens" event. I sure hope we draft a punter next year though.

Actually, the Texans have been consistent in wanting the punter with shorter distance and higher hang time/good directional kicking. The previous punter (stanley??) was never a distance guy, but in the couple of years he was "good" had lots of inside the 20s and fair catches. methinks this comes from Mariciano since it has been the same for both coaches.

badboy
09-02-2011, 04:17 PM

But we didn't take that route so this one aspect of the Texans game will continue to be a "Hold your breath every time it happens" event. I sure hope we draft a punter next year though.I go with an accurate punter who can nail the corner consistently. Lengthens the field considerably.
I think we have become spoiled with the years of unting we have had.

aussie_texan
09-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Ben Graham got cut from the cardinals.
His an australian and i used to watch him play aussie rules football, he has a MONSTER leg .
Bring the aussie to Houston!!!

Rey
09-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Ben Graham got cut from the cardinals.
His an australian and i used to watch him play aussie rules football, he has a MONSTER leg .
Bring the aussie to Houston!!!

Bring em in. Australians are tough sob's too.

aussie_texan
09-02-2011, 09:28 PM
his been in the league since 2005 so he has the experience played for the cards and jets

aussie_texan
09-02-2011, 09:29 PM
he wouldn't mind laying a tackle as well

brakos82
09-02-2011, 09:44 PM
he wouldn't mind laying a tackle as well

We could have the toughest kickers/punters ever.

Ever.

Well, at least since the days of dedicated kickers.

aussie_texan
09-02-2011, 09:47 PM
http://vimeo.com/20263138

gotta start making a petition for this guy lol

ChampionTexan
09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
There's talk that Pittsburgh's going to let Daniel Sepulveda go. I know there was interest in him (along with a 4 page thread) while free agency was going on. Maybe that'll be the guy.

Joe Texan
09-02-2011, 10:02 PM
was that maynard that kept kicking to the back of the endzone on kickoffs

brakos82
09-02-2011, 10:22 PM
was that maynard that kept kicking to the back of the endzone on kickoffs

Bill could use his fart jet to kick a ball that far. LOL

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I'll repost this link that I posted in another thread.

Ben Graham cut from Arizona Cardinals (http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/09/03/ben-graham-cut-from-arizona-cardinals/)

CloakNNNdagger
09-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Being a former Australian football player at 6'5" and 235 pounds, I believe if called upon, he could kick the snot out of a couple of the return team.:kitten:

edo783
09-05-2011, 09:34 PM
Being a former Australian football player at 6'5" and 235 pounds, I believe if called upon, he could kick the snot out of a couple of the return team.:kitten:

The Aussies I have known dang sure could have and laughed the whole time they did. Love to fight and to drink.

ChampionTexan
09-05-2011, 09:46 PM

He's been around since 2005, his next NFL team will be his 4th, he's had a net average above 38 Yds one time, and he just got beat out by another journeyman punter.

I'm not saying Hartmann's better, I'm not saying he isn't - I don't know (and neither does anyone else). I'm saying neither of them are difference makers, and there's not any difference makers available, so who cares at this point.

Wolfiegrrl
09-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Not posted anywhere that I saw. But we grabbed Hartmann back up. http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-sign-guard-punter-add-7-to-practice-squad/36ea9f34-8126-48b5-b576-ddcbb5d15c70